Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,009 members, 7,810,799 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:42 PM

Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou (64725 Views)

What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? / Checklist Of Fixing Flood Damaged Vehicles From Hurricane Sandy / Vehicles From Unauthorised Dealers Won't Be Registered - Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by adeptniyi(m): 2:33pm On Oct 01, 2013
this really interesting! I commend contributors for the tacit knowledge intelligently transferred. I want to start the used car and tyre biz in naija. first issue is: I saw a whole lot of nice cars in Germany but can't be allowed to enter naija cos they are above 8 years. is it advice able to ship my cars to cotonu, gt them cleared legitimately at both borders and bring them in? or wats the risk trying to get them cleared tru Lagos directly? which is better? as for the tyres can I clear them at cotonu and bring them in? I need help pls!
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by saintjoel(m): 10:21am On Oct 02, 2013
adeptniyi: this really interesting! I commend contributors for the tacit knowledge intelligently transferred. I want to start the used car and tyre biz in naija. first issue is: I saw a whole lot of nice cars in Germany but can't be allowed to enter naija cos they are above 8 years. is it advice able to ship my cars to cotonu, gt them cleared legitimately at both borders and bring them in? or wats the risk trying to get them cleared tru Lagos directly? which is better? as for the tyres can I clear them at cotonu and bring them in? I need help pls!

I've seen your message but why ive not replied is this-

I need to know the cars you're planning to import and also the quantity of tyres you are bringing in.I may also need to consult other agents at the border cos I wouldn't want too sick my neck out for what I wouldn't be able to do,thanks.
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by erico2k2(m): 3:29pm On Oct 06, 2013
saintjoel:

I've downloaded viber,how do I connect?
if your fone has internet connection you are already connected, just click viber and everyone who uses it would show up in your contact and you can dial them there for free
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by erico2k2(m): 3:36pm On Oct 06, 2013
adeptniyi: this really interesting! I commend contributors for the tacit knowledge intelligently transferred. I want to start the used car and tyre biz in naija. first issue is: I saw a whole lot of nice cars in Germany but can't be allowed to enter naija cos they are above 8 years. is it advice able to ship my cars to cotonu, gt them cleared legitimately at both borders and bring them in? or wats the risk trying to get them cleared tru Lagos directly? which is better? as for the tyres can I clear them at cotonu and bring them in? I need help pls!
Brov its not 8 years, its 15 years
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by globalfanz(m): 5:49am On Oct 28, 2013
You are deviating this thread from its main purpose. Besides, this is not the proper place for your adverts. This section is a learning point (school) and not a selling or advert point (market). Please get it right.
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by Tommry: 8:29am On Oct 29, 2013
Gd day Akogun, I want to know how much I could get a 2007 & 2008 Hyundai Sonata (not the 3.3 V6 engine pls.) with all options with Cotonou and Nigeria border duty fully paid with all paper to show all payment.

Thank you.
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by saintjoel(m): 2:07pm On Oct 29, 2013
globalfanz: You are deviating this thread from its main purpose. Besides, this is not the proper place for your adverts. This section is a learning point (school) and not a selling or advert point (market). Please get it right.

Sir,I'm sorry but I met the buyer of the car on this thread and I felt I should show appreciation and show people that there are geniune agents in cotonou and at seme border.
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by saintjoel(m): 8:13am On Nov 18, 2013
CUSTOM DUTY.

This duty payment has always generated a lot of controversies between agents,end users/buyers and custom officials. Custom duty payment is the money you pay before bringing a car across the border and it's authorised by FGN.

Some people may say they don't have to pay duty before bringing in their cars and they now fly(smuggle) the car across the border but what they don't understand is illustrated below.

The cheapest rate to pay when flying a car across the border is 50,000naira,from seme to ijanikin and 70-100,000naira to the east for small vehicles or 150,000naira for SUVs. The cheapest rate you pay for a car with 4plug engine at the border as duty is 130,000naira and you drive comfortably across the border with ease.

One thing smugglers won't tell you is this,smuggling your car across the border has so many disadvantages.

A. If your vehicle is seized by NCS,you either lose it outright or told to pay the actual duty. Now imagine this scenario,you've paid 100,000naira for your car to get to the east,along the way,your agent becomes greedy and refuses to settle customs,the car is seized.

After seizure,you'll be made to write a letter to the controller of customs in-charge of the border your car came in through,then you wait for weeks for approval. After approval,you'll pay 170,000naira+25% fine to the bank+running cost,which means you'll need to pay almost 250,000naira to retrieve a car you were supposed to pay 130,000naira for and retrieval of your vehicle is determined on the patrol that made the arrest,if it's seized by seme/idiroko command,you may be able to retrieve but if it's by the federal operations unit,that may be end of your vehicle's sojourn in Nigeria.

So the best thing is payment of custom duty,don't allow your vehicles across the border,it saves time and money.
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by kuntash: 3:46pm On Nov 18, 2013
If you are an auto enthusiast and keen to know the technical nitty gritty of what u are buying, if you cannot go to overseas yourself, go to cotonou, WHY?..... because you would have opportunity to see many cars as it was... without changing anything there... (THATS NOT TO SAY THEY HAVE NOT STARTED SUCH IN COTONOU AS THEY DO HERE IN NAIJA)

if u dont care how the car gets to Nigeria, i.e you can cope with the risks of customs before and after the car lands ur house.... , you can reduce the total cost by avoiding paying the correct tax... (this is what many of the agents so to speak do).... if you notice, you would still have to pay the same full cash to the Benin Govt, its only on Naija side that the magomago begins... - quite unfortunate..

If you care about how much u spend and you are not too interested in the technical nitty gritty of cars, maybe u just want smthn to move and YOU DONT WANT CUSTOM WAHALA.. just ask someone u can trust overseas to help u , or just buy here...

and Lastly, if you want to manage your cash within a budget and can easily change ur mind on the car you want... and you are sure of how to manage ur way with our customs... ... call up cotonou guys to help u, cos, they can present several options for u and cheap cars to get , often completely different from what u originally wanted...

These are my take from a personal experience.... not once, but twice...

summary, WHEN YOU BUY A CAR IN COTONOU , AFTER CLEARING THE CAR THERE, PAYING ALL EXPENSES, PAYING FULL DUTY AS AGAINST THE ACTUAL YEAR OF MANUFACTURE.... ITS MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE THAN shipping and clearing directly in Naija
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by saintjoel(m): 4:21pm On Nov 18, 2013
kuntash: If you are an auto enthusiast and keen to know the technical nitty gritty of what u are buying, if you cannot go to overseas yourself, go to cotonou, WHY?..... because you would have opportunity to see many cars as it was... without changing anything there... (THATS NOT TO SAY THEY HAVE NOT STARTED SUCH IN COTONOU AS THEY DO HERE IN NAIJA)

if u dont care how the car gets to Nigeria, i.e you can cope with the risks of customs before and after the car lands ur house.... , you can reduce the total cost by avoiding paying the correct tax... (this is what many of the agents so to speak do).... if you notice, you would still have to pay the same full cash to the Benin Govt, its only on Naija side that the magomago begins... - quite unfortunate..

If you care about how much u spend and you are not too interested in the technical nitty gritty of cars, maybe u just want smthn to move and YOU DONT WANT CUSTOM WAHALA.. just ask someone u can trust overseas to help u , or just buy here...

and Lastly, if you want to manage your cash within a budget and can easily change ur mind on the car you want... and you are sure of how to manage ur way with our customs... ... call up cotonou guys to help u, cos, they can present several options for u and cheap cars to get , often completely different from what u originally wanted...

These are my take from a personal experience.... not once, but twice...

summary, WHEN YOU BUY A CAR IN COTONOU , AFTER CLEARING THE CAR THERE, PAYING ALL EXPENSES, PAYING FULL DUTY AS AGAINST THE ACTUAL YEAR OF MANUFACTURE.... ITS MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE THAN shipping and clearing directly in Naija

Sir,I'm so sorry but if you have been to cotonou to buy cars like you have stated,you'll definitely know all you've written are pure lies and gibberish.

I just bought 08 Honda for a client at 2.7M+250K (custom duty) and also 2005 Rav4 for 1.7M+250K(custom duty).Now if you have bought a those vehicles into Nigeria through the ports and also pay correct custom duty with forging papers or make short payments like it's the norm in the ports now,imagine how much a lagos dealer will sell this cars.Cotonou clearing or Nigerian clearing,as long as you can factor in everything,you can still buy cars within your budget.

S
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by kuntash: 10:49am On Nov 20, 2013
saintjoel:

Sir,I'm so sorry but if you have been to cotonou to buy cars like you have stated,you'll definitely know all you've written are pure lies and gibberish.

S

quite hesitant to respond to that comment of yours, however, I have to assume your mindset as a human being, and leave it as that.... more so, you might be someone who does purchase of cars for people thereby making your livelihood, thus I would understand slightly your position.

but let me ask you, of the two instances of Rav4 & Honda you gave , Honda was N3m while the Toyota would be N2m, and could be more for the total expenses.

now, your having access to the internet tells me you can read and understand very well what I wrote based on my experience and that of others I know. can you read thoroughly again and let me know the pure lies and garnish or gabberish as u called it...??

The point is very clear and lots of car dealers here would agree, between $10k to $13k USD can get u a very clean Honda of same year , now tell me how much it would cost for shipping and clearing at Lagos ports.... good enough there are clearing agents here too... the sum up the cost..

so before u say anything my friend, read well and understand the position of the other person, if u even look well at what I wrote, there are points that favour you very well for your biz..

Xmas dey come, pls mind your comments O........
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by olumide4christ: 5:40pm On Nov 20, 2013
@Saintjoel - I have heard some experiences of some people who buy cars from Cotonou and even Lagos here, who complain that the catalytic converters in their cars have been removed prior to purchase and they only discovered it after the car had been purchased. My question is- HOW DO YOU RESOLVE THIS ISSUE WITH YOUR CLIENTS & THE CAR DEALERS? DO YOU PROTECT YOUR CLIENTS AGAINST SUCH VANDALIZATION OR ARE THEY LEFT TO FACE THE MUSIC THEMSELVES?? Your response is needed on this issue.

1 Like

Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by saintjoel(m): 8:45pm On Nov 20, 2013
olumide4christ: @Saintjoel - I have heard some experiences of some people who buy cars from Cotonou and even Lagos here, who complain that the catalytic converters in their cars have been removed prior to purchase and they only discovered it after the car had been purchased. My question is- HOW DO YOU RESOLVE THIS ISSUE WITH YOUR CLIENTS & THE CAR DEALERS? DO YOU PROTECT YOUR CLIENTS AGAINST SUCH VANDALIZATION OR ARE THEY LEFT TO FACE THE MUSIC THEMSELVES?? Your response is needed on this issue.

The issue of catalyst or indomie has it's popularly known has always been an issue when it comes to buying pre-owned cars from abroad.

Over the years,what we at Jelad ventures as always been inform of what I may threat assessment. When a client sends inquiries about vehicles from cotonou,what we do if the customer is serious is go into the parks with at least a mechanic and two staffs who are experienced. Every assessment is carried out to determine if the vehicles we are offering for sale has no issue.

Issues are always graded into two by out team (grade one and two).

Grade one- when a vehicle has been put in this grade,it means it can't be purchased or offered to a customer by the threat assessment team,issues like major accidents,wiring issues,gear issues etc are mostly what we look for in this case and if we discover that it's a major threat,we advice clients not to buy but some car dealers who buy such cars know how to cover up these defects for those they're selling it to in Nigeria when they bring these vehicles across the border.

Grade two- when a car is in this grade,what we do is examine the car to see if it's previous and present condition may affect the current owner negatively. Some cars may have been dented abroad or involved in some minor accidents,we also look at catalyst issues,CD failure,shaft and chassis and several issues,this issues are considered as minor issues which may not have adverse effects on the car.

To cut the long story short,what we basically do when we discover minor issues in these cars is make sure we reach an agreement which encompasses the dealer,agent and end user. Like in a case where essential parts like the catalyst has been removed or spoilt but the engine components are in good order,what we do is make the dealer agree to repair/replace the damaged component or get an idea of how much it's sold in the market,then he deducts it from the purchase price so that the owner can effect repairs either in Cotonou or Nigeria. There are instances where some car dealers who buy these cars from cotonou for sale in Nigeria opt to leave the parks with these cars in their poor state then smuggle them across the border to maximize their gain.

Buying a car with bad components into Nigeria actually depends on the end user or dealer,we even have instances where the end user discovers he can get the vehicle cheaper when the components are bad but when it finally gets to Nigeria,they turn the blame on innocent agents.

Our system hasn't been foolproof but I'm proud to say we've been able to achieve 80% success with our deals in cotonou and several customers can attest to that fact.
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by olumide4christ: 12:44pm On Nov 21, 2013
Ok, Saint Joel. Thanks for the enlightenment and prompt response. I do hope we have a good deal when we meet to do business soonest. Regards.
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by cardoctor(m): 7:58am On Nov 22, 2013
Due to the high rise in catalytic converter thefts from Cotonou port and borders, its advisable to read this thread also.

https://www.nairaland.com/1523351/beware-catalyst-stealing-mechanics-welders#19643216

Car-Doctor.
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by Ikenna351(m): 8:43am On Nov 22, 2013
saintjoel:

Sir,I'm sorry but I met the buyer of the car on this thread and I felt I should show appreciation and show people that there are geniune agents in cotonou and at seme border.

You have gradually turned this thread into advert. Don't earn yourself a ban or force me to move this thread to Autos section.

Moderator.
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by saintjoel(m): 11:56am On Nov 22, 2013
Ikenna351:

You have gradually turned this thread into advert. Don't earn yourself a ban or force me to move this thread to Autos section.

Moderator.

I'm on my knees and I'm seriously begging,it won't happen again.
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by leighcon(m): 1:45pm On Nov 22, 2013
^^
Ikenna,
Please forgive and forget, he has been on his knees since 11am 2013-11-22.

Holy Joel,
Let us know immediately you stand up........ grin
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by olumide4christ: 4:58pm On Nov 22, 2013
car-doctor:

Due to the high rise in catalytic converter thefts from Cotonou port and borders, its advisable to read this thread also.

https://www.nairaland.com/1523351/beware-catalyst-stealing-mechanics-welders#19643216

Car-Doctor.

Thanks Car-doctor. INFACT, IT WAS YOUR THREAD QUOTED ABOVE THAT LED TO MY QUESTION TO @Saintjoel about theft of catalytic converter. Regards.
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by dabosuker(m): 6:52am On Nov 26, 2013
Saint Joel, since you are an agent, would you happen to know the cost of clearing/Nigerian custom duty for a 2005 mercedes ML 350 special edition, with a 3.5 litre V6 engine. am considering coming to cotonou to purchase that ride, and i want to get real genuine nigerian custom papers, because "i no like problem, i sleep with 2 eyes closed".
please your quick response would be apprecited, even if its just an idea of the cost of clearance . thanks.
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by saintjoel(m): 4:18pm On Nov 26, 2013
dabosuker: Saint Joel, since you are an agent, would you happen to know the cost of clearing/Nigerian custom duty for a 2005 mercedes ML 350 special edition, with a 3.5 litre V6 engine. am considering coming to cotonou to purchase that ride, and i want to get real genuine nigerian custom papers, because "i no like problem, i sleep with 2 eyes closed".
please your quick response would be apprecited, even if its just an idea of the cost of clearance . thanks.

It's going to be 650,000naira,you may be able to get agents who will do it for less but make sure you accept geniune papers or even take time to pick your car up from the border,so if your agent has played pranks,you'll know from the first check point.
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by dabosuker(m): 8:15pm On Nov 26, 2013
okay < thanks saint joel
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by saintjoel(m): 9:35am On Dec 01, 2013
I sincerely want nairalanders to please judge whoever has done wrong and please I also want you all to be truthful about it especially for those who have bought cars from cotonou.

A certain Gboyega got in touch with for a 307 and other cars he could get for 900,000naira and initially I sent pictures of a 307 with manual transmission but he declined saying he needed one with auto transmission and I remember telling him that auto transmission will be more expensive since there is so much hype around cars with auto and leather seats. He still insisted on a 307 with auto transmission and I had no choice but to tell them to come into the market.

Now everyone knows you've to pay a certain amount of money after purchase in cotonou before it can be moved to the border purchase but I've adopted a way of telling my customers the whole amount,for example if you inquire about a 1999 camry,I just tell you it's 850K with Nigerian custom duty instead of telling you 500K CEFA goes into this or 1.3M CEFA goes into that.

Now,when they came into the market,I had issues with the first cart they bought cos from the look of things,it had engine issues so we moved to another park and started bargaining for a better one.In all this bargaining,I wasn't involved and the manager spoke english,so everything was clear to them and after bargaining,the manager told them to pay 2.2M CEFA and everything amounted to 2.7M CEFA with clearing etc..

Immediately I called them aside and asked them if they'll settle for a cheaper car like a Golf4 cos to me the 307 wasn't just it but they were like it's either 307 or nothing,so I told them to deposit 20,000 naira,they even said someone promised to ship and clear the 307 to them for 600,000naira and I can remember asking them if they'll settle for the one been shipped to them.

When we got back to seme after paying the deposit,I later learnt they needed to make withdrawals from GTB which was about 2hrs drive from the border.On getting to the banks,they ran into some issues and could only withdraw around 3pm,we got to the border around 4pm,in all these,Gboyega kept asking me if they could get the car out that evening and I told him it was a 50/50 thing,that we've even loaned them 500K CEFA for the clearing but the white man insisted on been paid before releasing the car,even when we changed into CEFA,I don't know if the money changer kept part of their money but when I calculated using the exchange rate,I discovered they were shortchanged and Mercy and Gboyega didn't even know about this. I had to confront the Alhaji that changed the money,collected the balance,went back to cotonou to meet them with the balance,kindly take note that this happened around 5pm.

To summarize it all,the car couldn't come out and even two of my cars were also stuck in cotonou cos there was a public holiday a day before and the whole place was choked up,even as at that time the car couldn't beat the 6pm deadline at seme,so I told them to come back.

Even after collecting their car in one piece,Gboyega and his girlfriend mercy have kept calling me a 419 cos of these reasons:-

1.Their car didn't come out the same day they paid,even when I kept telling Gboyega it was 50/50 and I didn't collect the 15K CEFA(express charges) from them,cos if I had collected it and couldn't produce the car by evening,it'll have been worse.

2. I told them my charges was 30,000naira but I think Gboyega been who he is told his girlfriend who paid for the car my charges was 5,100naira instead of 30,000.

3. Mercy said people she met in Abuja told her that the extra charges weren't needed in cotonou(battery and security,escort,customs etc),that you just pay and leave with your car.

4. I was given 35,000 naira for plate numbers but that same day,customs officials shot a smuggler and we were stuck in seme for hours so I told them I didn't want to risk dropping the money for a plate number and they will come the next day,it wouldn't be ready.I also told Gboyega that I deducted 15,000 from the 35,000 to cover for my agent fee and when he came for the car l,I gave him 20,000naira.

5.Gboyega later called for a BMW and I got him a pristine one,even paid 20K deposit for the car but to my dismay,he never showed up in Cotonou to either bargain with the white man or make outright payment.I kept calling him for days and also sent him messages via whatsapp,that it wasn't about him paying me back but he should at least let me know if he'll buy or not,so I could find ways of recovering my money but he never replied not until saturday when Mercy,his girlfriend called me to start asking for her 15,000 naira and I had no choice other than to tell her what her man did to me.

6. They have now said I behaved unprofessionally cos I told Mercy about the BMW deal and Gboyega even sent me messages telling me that he didn't believe I dropped 20K deposit with the white man when he hasn't even come into cotonou to verify and I even sent a picture of the receipt issued to me.

7. Gboyega said an agent told them clearing of 2003 cars was between 100K-120K and I charged them 150K but I told him to tell his agent to produce his tariff booklet,from my experience has an agent,only cars from 1996-2002 pay 130K while 03 pays 150K,I wasn't the one who wrote the tariff booklet and I did all I could to get the car out.Gboyega even drove the car out from seme border to abuja himself and unless he wants to lie,no custom personnel disturb him on his way.

8. When the car was brought out,I called the AC repairer and he told me the gas was leaking,one thing I know about an average Nigerian mechanic is this,if he doesn't know much about a car,don't let him touch the engine unless the customer is around.Even when they got to Abuja and filled the gas,it was discovered that there was nothing wrong with the AC and yet they are accusing of not filling the AC,when did an agent become AC repairer?.
I won't want to bore you but please I'm an honest businessman and I will like the Nairalanders to please tell me where I've gone wrong.I don't understand why Mercy will wake up on a sunday morning and start calling me a 419.
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by Issyman(m): 12:30pm On Dec 02, 2013
saintjoel: I sincerely want nairalanders to please judge whoever has done wrong and please I also want you all to be truthful about it especially for those who have bought cars from cotonou.

A certain Gboyega got in touch with for a 307 and other cars he could get for 900,000naira and initially I sent pictures of a 307 with manual transmission but he declined saying he needed one with auto transmission and I remember telling him that auto transmission will be more expensive since there is so much hype around cars with auto and leather seats. He still insisted on a 307 with auto transmission and I had no choice but to tell them to come into the market.

Now everyone knows you've to pay a certain amount of money after purchase in cotonou before it can be moved to the border purchase but I've adopted a way of telling my customers the whole amount,for example if you inquire about a 1999 camry,I just tell you it's 850K with Nigerian custom duty instead of telling you 500K CEFA goes into this or 1.3M CEFA goes into that.

Now,when they came into the market,I had issues with the first cart they bought cos from the look of things,it had engine issues so we moved to another park and started bargaining for a better one.In all this bargaining,I wasn't involved and the manager spoke english,so everything was clear to them and after bargaining,the manager told them to pay 2.2M CEFA and everything amounted to 2.7M CEFA with clearing etc..

Immediately I called them aside and asked them if they'll settle for a cheaper car like a Golf4 cos to me the 307 wasn't just it but they were like it's either 307 or nothing,so I told them to deposit 20,000 naira,they even said someone promised to ship and clear the 307 to them for 600,000naira and I can remember asking them if they'll settle for the one been shipped to them.

When we got back to seme after paying the deposit,I later learnt they needed to make withdrawals from GTB which was about 2hrs drive from the border.On getting to the banks,they ran into some issues and could only withdraw around 3pm,we got to the border around 4pm,in all these,Gboyega kept asking me if they could get the car out that evening and I told him it was a 50/50 thing,that we've even loaned them 500K CEFA for the clearing but the white man insisted on been paid before releasing the car,even when we changed into CEFA,I don't know if the money changer kept part of their money but when I calculated using the exchange rate,I discovered they were shortchanged and Mercy and Gboyega didn't even know about this. I had to confront the Alhaji that changed the money,collected the balance,went back to cotonou to meet them with the balance,kindly take note that this happened around 5pm.

To summarize it all,the car couldn't come out and even two of my cars were also stuck in cotonou cos there was a public holiday a day before and the whole place was choked up,even as at that time the car couldn't beat the 6pm deadline at seme,so I told them to come back.

Even after collecting their car in one piece,Gboyega and his girlfriend mercy have kept calling me a 419 cos of these reasons:-

1.Their car didn't come out the same day they paid,even when I kept telling Gboyega it was 50/50 and I didn't collect the 15K CEFA(express charges) from them,cos if I had collected it and couldn't produce the car by evening,it'll have been worse.

2. I told them my charges was 30,000naira but I think Gboyega been who he is told his girlfriend who paid for the car my charges was 5,100naira instead of 30,000.

3. Mercy said people she met in Abuja told her that the extra charges weren't needed in cotonou(battery and security,escort,customs etc),that you just pay and leave with your car.

4. I was given 35,000 naira for plate numbers but that same day,customs officials shot a smuggler and we were stuck in seme for hours so I told them I didn't want to risk dropping the money for a plate number and they will come the next day,it wouldn't be ready.I also told Gboyega that I deducted 15,000 from the 35,000 to cover for my agent fee and when he came for the car l,I gave him 20,000naira.

5.Gboyega later called for a BMW and I got him a pristine one,even paid 20K deposit for the car but to my dismay,he never showed up in Cotonou to either bargain with the white man or make outright payment.I kept calling him for days and also sent him messages via whatsapp,that it wasn't about him paying me back but he should at least let me know if he'll buy or not,so I could find ways of recovering my money but he never replied not until saturday when Mercy,his girlfriend called me to start asking for her 15,000 naira and I had no choice other than to tell her what her man did to me.

6. They have now said I behaved unprofessionally cos I told Mercy about the BMW deal and Gboyega even sent me messages telling me that he didn't believe I dropped 20K deposit with the white man when he hasn't even come into cotonou to verify and I even sent a picture of the receipt issued to me.

7. Gboyega said an agent told them clearing of 2003 cars was between 100K-120K and I charged them 150K but I told him to tell his agent to produce his tariff booklet,from my experience has an agent,only cars from 1996-2002 pay 130K while 03 pays 150K,I wasn't the one who wrote the tariff booklet and I did all I could to get the car out.Gboyega even drove the car out from seme border to abuja himself and unless he wants to lie,no custom personnel disturb him on his way.

8. When the car was brought out,I called the AC repairer and he told me the gas was leaking,one thing I know about an average Nigerian mechanic is this,if he doesn't know much about a car,don't let him touch the engine unless the customer is around.Even when they got to Abuja and filled the gas,it was discovered that there was nothing wrong with the AC and yet they are accusing of not filling the AC,when did an agent become AC repairer?.
I won't want to bore you but please I'm an honest businessman and I will like the Nairalanders to please tell me where I've gone wrong.I don't understand why Mercy will wake up on a sunday morning and start calling me a 419.
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by saintjoel(m): 11:40am On Dec 29, 2013
CUSTOM DUTY PAYMENT MADE SIMPLE.

The payment of custom duty has always caused arguements between agents and clients who want to bring in cars into Nigeria through ports or land borders. At jelad ventures,we have taken pains to explain the procedure to clients and we've also decided to post on Nairaland,so that clients will not be confused when bringing vehicles into Nigeria.

When you're bringing a vehicle into Nigeria,there's is a certain tariff you've to pay and it's always divided into two,bank payments and running costs. The bank payment is what you pay into the bank and it goes directly to the NCS HQ and FG while running costs is what the command you're paying through uses to print your documents etc.

Using the two pictures below as illustrations,we can see the tariff booklet is divided into three sections,year,value and bank.

A) Year - the manufacture year of the vehicle been bought into Nigeria.

B) Value - the estimated dollar value of the vehicle been brought into the country.

C) Bank - this is what the FG actually actually expects the agent pay into the bank as bank charges for his/her client's vehicle.

Please take note that apart from year of manufacture,vehicles are also rated according to engine capacity,which means your vehicle may be 20% or 35% engine capacity.

Also please note that the NCS having discovered that the bank charges were too expensive reached an unwritten agreement with agents,which means an agent can shave three/four years off the actual year of the vehicle been brought in,to make it affordable for the clients.

Now let's use three vehicles as examples using the pictures shown below.

A) 2002 Highlander - as we can see from the pictures, 2002 Highlander is rated as 20% engine capacity,valued at 4,918$ and with bank payment of 214,600,which means any importer bringing in an 02 highlander has to pay at least 350,000 =N= to obtain duty papers. 350,000 =N= must have been high for importers to pay,so an agent can use his/her discretion to run the duty papers has 1999 highlander (2002-3yrs=1999),which means 156,000 naira is paid into bank and the importer pays 250,000 has custom duty charges.

B) 2008 Highlander - from the pictures below,we can see that 2008 highlander is rated as 35% engine capacity with a dollar value of 9,250$ and bank payment of 648,268 =N=. All the agent needs to do is declare the SUV has 2004(2008-4yrs=2004),which means 420-450,000=N= can be paid into the bank while the importer pays 550-600,000=N= as bank charges.

C) 2006 Range rover HSE - From what we can see,the RRS is rated as 35% engine capacity with dollar value of 22,650$ and bank payment of 1,587,380M =N=. This particular vehicle has always been a source of confusion between importers,agents and custom officials. In some instances,we've agents who declare it has 2002(2006-4yrs=2002) and they pay =N=1M has bank charges while the importer pays 1.2M for duty charges.

We also have agents who take risks in declaring the 06 RRS as 1999 or below,which means they pay 600,000 =N= as bank payments while the importer pays 850,000 =N= as running cost but absolute care should be taken because in a situation where one agent manages to bribe his/her way out,it may not work for another agent and in such case,the vehicle may be impounded.

Now,note that when vehicles are impounded and it's about been recovered from custom officials,a DL is raised. DL means direct levy and in this case,the importer is asked to pay the original bank charges he/she was supposed to pay and also pay a 20% fine with running costs.

Running costs using seme border as an example is what an agent pays to type the documents,collect value for the vehicle,assessment and examination of vehicles and tagging. Tagging of documents is very necessary especially across land borders because these photocopies are essential,they're are records the Fed. Ops. Unit and CG squads submit in ikeja and Abuja commands to show that your vehicle passed through their checkpoints.

When next you're bringing in your vehicles in through land borders or ports,always make sure you take care that your agent doesn't short pay. Short payment means making false declaration e:g declaring an 06 RRS as 02 RRS or declaring 2007 camry as 98 camry or 2002 sienna has 1996 toyota bus.

All these acts put the vehicles at risk and it's always common amongst dubious agents and car dealers who want to make more gain from car sales,that's why we now see more and more cheap cars coming out of lagos ports and at the end,these same cars are impounded by custom officials.

Now the following post was written as by the management of Jelad ventures and it doesn't not serve as the opinion of every custom agent operating at the ports or land borders. If at anytime,there are other agents who want to add to this post,they're free to do so.

Thanks and happy new year in advance.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

This Nigerian Mechanic Has Gone Viral After A Video Show Him Lifting An Engine / Innoson Releases Luxury IVM G80 And G40 SUV (Photos) / Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.