Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,597 members, 7,812,956 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:38 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 - Travel (134) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 (1640888 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (131) (132) (133) (134) (135) (136) (137) ... (1004) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by HollyMadison(f): 11:41am On Apr 21, 2021
obajoey:
Pls I had a GA interview yesterday, during the interview the director asked me "what is my schedule (study plan) for next year" I didn't get the question well, but I said something about the total semester hours for the program, but it seems that was not the right answer. So he said the GA will require 20hrs work/weekly and he said some students take 3credit hours, some 9, but I must say I really don't know how to answer that question.

I have checked the program brochure and all I could see is the total credit hours for the core course (s) and for the electives too.

Pls I need to know the best way to answer that question pls...

I think they want to know if you’ve considered how much time the GA will take out of your time. Because your answer should be a number of hours you intend to study daily or weekly, after you’ve take out 20hrs/week for the GA and extra time for other things. Because the masters study plans I’ve seen online no be small thing, it doesn’t look like the it has an easy or direct answer oo

I think oo, house please correct me if I’m wrong.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by lentomac: 11:46am On Apr 21, 2021
Economics Assistantships in the U.S (Funded)

Find attached the word document below to see the links, then apply

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by HollyMadison(f): 11:50am On Apr 21, 2021
Picricchem:

Embassy Location: Abuja

School name: Kennesaw State University, metro Atlanta Georgia.

Program: Ms. Chemistry.

UG Degree : Chemistry.

GRE & Toefl Scores if there is Any: 304 no toefl.

GPA : 3.07 Wes (2.2 gpa)

Financial Aid/Funding:
GTA : 32,300
Deficit = 14k +
COA = 47K
Sponsor: Uncle

I heard about Kennesaw state university from Brown2green. May God bless him.

I'm grateful to God Almighty that made today possible. Everything started in 2019.
I wrote GRE and applied to schools but they all rejected me then I ran to Nairaland to tender my case.

One angel saw my case on Nairaland and sent a mail to me. We call him Pepe �. I thank God for using Pepe for me. He told me to go and do WES so that I can get admission and funding. I told him it wasn't possible becos I didn't have that kind of money. He pressed on me until I did WES, then my story changed.

I am so happy right now. Only God could have done this.

I planned to have my interview at a later date but I just discovered that my passport will remain exactly 6 months tomorrow. God gave me today's date in short �

Interview
Vo: good morning
Me: good morning sir.
Vo: do you have up to six months on this passport.
Me: yes sir. It will remain six months tomorrow.
Vo: where are you going in the US?
Me: I'm going to kennesaw state university for my Master's degree in chemistry. I got this offer in 2020 but due to covid lockdown I couldn't secure an appointment.
Vo: oh, I see.
Me: yes sir. In fact my assistantship was kept for me.
Vo: nodding in agreement.
Vo : why do you want to have this degree?
Me: I planned to join a multinational company here in Nigeria as a research and development Chemist, and this degree will put me in the best position to achieve that.
I'm currently eyeing Nestlé, OLAM, and Unilever.
Vo: where are you working presently?
Me: I'm working with Nestlé Nigeria on contract. I joined them pending the beginning of my program as I can't take up any permanent appointment until I get my Master's.
Vo: nodding in agreement.
Vo: have you travelled out before?
Me: No sir.
Vo: who is your sponsor?
Me : named him.
Vo: what does he do?
Me: he holds the position of vice president at OLAM international. So he controls all their manufacturing activities in Nigeria.
Vo: didn't get OLAM so I spelt for him.
Vo: why does he want to sponsor you?
Me: he was the one that advised me to go for my Master's abroad to gain a better research knowledge and international exposure before I join their company as R&grin Chemist. He promised to render all the necessary support and he's doing just that. In fact he gave me the money last year before I realized I couldn't go.
Vo: the money is in your account?
Me: No sir. In his account.
Vo: do you have his statement?
Me: yes I do. Gave him.
While he collected it to check, I quickly added.. that's just his transactional account, not his salary account.
Me: the assistantship I have has covered full tuition and living expenses, he's just covering the miscellaneous expenses.
Vo: checked the i20 again, then drop the account statement and then he said something I didn't hear and gave me the white paper.
Me: still standing at his front like I was in another world.
Vo: you are free to go.

Hallelujah!
The security there said it was the longest interview.

I appreciate everyone on this thread. Thanks so much!

Spence, thanks so much for words of wisdom.

Pepe my brother, I love you so much.

Glory be to God!

Congratulations!!!! I tap into this blessing

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by lentomac: 11:53am On Apr 21, 2021
Peace Study/Conflict Resolution Assistantships in the US (Funded)

Find attached the word document below to see the links, then apply

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by NigPatriot(m): 12:18pm On Apr 21, 2021
Polly240:
Good morning everyone
Pls can someone help me review and transcript, my interview is in 2 weeks.
Thank you.

V.O: Good morning
ME: Good morning. How’re you today?

V.O: where are you headed?
ME: I’m going to Georgia State University for a master degree program in Chemistry.

V.O: what’s your academic background?
ME: I completed my bachelors degree at Bowen University, Iwo with a first class honours in Biochemistry in 2018. After which I went on for my one year NYSC program where I taught chemistry at a secondary school in kaduna state.

V.O: what do you know about GSU?
ME: GSU located in downtown Atlanta was founded in 1913 as a night school for the Georgia school of technology. It is one of the four research universities in the university system of Georgia; university of Georgia, Augusta university and Georgia institute of technology.

V.O: why GSU?
ME: Asides the fact that I was offered a full tuition wavier with a graduate research assistantship position that’s comes with stipend. GSU has a very high research activity with its chemistry program among the top 10% in the USA according to US news ranking. Also, during my search I discovered Dr Suri Iyer whose research interest in drug design and molecular assay development aligns perfectly with mine. I’ll be working directly with him and he’s keen on having me join his research group. Also, GSU is located in the heart of downtown Atlanta, so I would get to experience life in the city and diverse cultures.

V.O: how did you discover the school?
ME: after my decision to get a master degree in chemistry. I used Peterson’s and gradschools website to search for schools offering a masters degree in chemistry, then I streamlined my options based on my research interests. That’s how I came across Dr suri and GSU.

V.O: what’s your research interest?
ME: my research interest focuses on the design and synthesis of small molecule antagonists of chemokine receptors involved in inflammatory diseases. These antagonists would act as therapeutic agents for these diseases thereby inhibiting the activities of these receptors. It also involves the development of molecular testing diagnostic tools using glycan-based diagnostics.
This is a very high research that is aimed at developing high performance drugs targeted at curbing symptoms (like swelling, joint stiffness, loss of movement) established in inflammatory diseases.
Furthermore, my engagement in this research would enhance my knowledge on drug design development and techniques which I would implement in the drug production team of my late father’s company upon arrival after graduation.

V.O: what’s your study plan
ME: my course takes 2 years to be completed with a minimum of 32 semester hours of graduate coursework. This includes a required 6 credits hours of thesis research, 2 credit hours of seminar and 3 credit hours of laboratory supervision. I’ll be taking a minimum of 12 credits in the fall semester to receive the assistantship.

V.O: what would this degree do for you?
ME: Getting this degree would advance my knowledge and techniques in drug development, which would qualify me for the position of the research and development chemist in the r&d team of my late father’s company upon my arrival after graduation.

V.O: Tell me about your late father’s company
ME: poultry support services is a registered limited company established in 1992. We started with running a veterinary clinic and also a animal supplies store; where we sell all animals drugs, feed and equipment. Until late 2019, when we decided to create a livestock drug production team where I work as the drug design and development analyst. Getting this degree would help me implement my drug design and development techniques as the research & development chemist in the team.

V.O: why USA?
ME: the United States has one of the best educational systems in the world and is known for having diverse research area. A degree in the US is well recognised all over the world.

V.O: I see you’ll be working as a research assistant, what would you be doing?
ME: as an RA I’ll be working 8 hours per week assisting in conducting research including data collection and compilation.

V.O: who’s sponsoring this trip?
ME: coupled with the stipend I’ll be getting as a research assistant. My deficit would be paid by my elder brother; who’s the current CEO of my late father’s company Poultry Support Services, where we’ve run a veterinary clinic and animal supplies store for over 25 years.

V.O: do you have any documents supporting this claim
ME: yes, hands over bank statement.

V.O: are you married?
ME: No

V.O: I’ll be approving your visa��

Go with this same energy. You'll surely get the visa. You're well prepared.

8 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by HollyMadison(f): 12:22pm On Apr 21, 2021
Tulacious123:
Is there anyone who got admitted to Georgia State University (MSc)!or University of Texas, Dallas (MSc) or is currently schooling there? Kindly indicate please.Its urgent.Thanks

Present. GSU

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by godguy: 12:42pm On Apr 21, 2021
Tulacious123:
Got admitted to UTDallas MSc Public Affairs according to the department ,they only fund PhD in Public Affairs students with MSc degree.Which course did you apply for? Any funding? I seriously need funds.

computer science but no funding

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Polly240: 12:59pm On Apr 21, 2021
NigPatriot:

Go with this same energy. You'll surely get the visa. You're well prepared.
Thank you
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Tayoade19: 1:12pm On Apr 21, 2021
I am also in the same situation and I have been advised on this platform that it is better, to tell the truth, because when the VO finds out about conflicting information on the DS 160, it might result in a permanent ban at the US embassy.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by MelaninGemstone(f): 1:49pm On Apr 21, 2021
Please have anyone here ever gotten a graduate assistantship from Stevens Institute of Technology

Please reply
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Cessnk: 2:00pm On Apr 21, 2021
Please help !!! I am trying to book an appointment I got the message below .

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Bigsecret(f): 2:06pm On Apr 21, 2021
it means that you have checked the page too frequently in a roll. check in an hour time
Cessnk:
Please help !!! I am trying to book an appointment I got the message below .
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Sirburgeon: 2:11pm On Apr 21, 2021
Misterdhee1:
Please I made a mistake on my visa profile. I used only my first name and surname, and didn't include my middle name (as shown on my international passport and DS-160). I also noticed I can't change the names on the profile page once entered.

Is there any issue with this? And is there a possible means to get it corrected?

This is no issue. First Name and Last Name is the main thing needed

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by tonero4urch(m): 2:19pm On Apr 21, 2021
MelaninGemstone:
Please have anyone here ever gotten a graduate assistantship from Stevens Institute of Technology

Please reply

I think if you are given admission without assistantship in Stevens Institute of Technology it means you won't get any form of assistance. Assistantships normally come with the admission email/letter. I also got admission there without funding. I will decline soon.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by MelaninGemstone(f): 2:32pm On Apr 21, 2021
tonero4urch:

I think if you are given admission without assistantship in Stevens Institute of Technology it means you won't get any form of assistance. Assistantships normally come with the admission email/letter. I also got admission there without funding. I will decline soon.
Because someone told me that it will be hard to convince the VO to issue a visa if you don’t have funding

And the VO will know, because the I-20 won’t show any funding or assistantships

The VO would wonder and won’t be convinced if one will be able to pay all the COA solely.

That’s what I was told

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by adesco2k9: 2:55pm On Apr 21, 2021
Which date dey Abuja laidis abeg ooo
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Nobody: 3:14pm On Apr 21, 2021
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Nobody: 3:23pm On Apr 21, 2021
fdecisive:
My ogas and madams good afternoon. Please I need guidance.

Finally got I-20 this morning.
Course starts early August.
As at this morning, Lagos had no dates. I saw September 23rd in Abuja. Was making yanga, hoping better dates will open up... smiley Or perhaps Lagos will open earlier dates since @EducationUSALagos facebook webinar yesterday, the consular lady suggested so.

Logged in this afternoon, to see earliest date in Abuja now October, Lagos still no date yet. Became concerned. "I better book a date first and see how things go oh". Swiftly books Abuja, and told self: a bird in hand is worth millions in the bush.

After booking, to test things, I clicked on Reschedule Appointment tab, and saw this message:
"If you cancel this appointment, then you will have exceeded the limit of appointments, and will not be able to schedule another appointment until another MRV fee has been paid."

Questions:

- I thought I got a couple of times to change dates?

- Will I still be able to switch back to Lagos and book a new date if a better dates opens up?
Or am I stuck with Abuja until it's time to book emergency?

Please guide me.
First time applicant.
since you have already booked a date initially you still have one more chance to reschedule or choose Lagos if you cancel it for the second time that’s another MRV fee

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Pepperoni001: 3:39pm On Apr 21, 2021
Since you have every documents available, just wait till its 60 days to your first day of class so you can then request for Emergency date.

Be rest assured that dates will still open up.

Wishing you the best.
fdecisive:
My ogas and madams good afternoon. Please I need guidance.

Finally got I-20 this morning.
Course starts early August.
As at this morning, Lagos had no dates. I saw September 23rd in Abuja. Was making yanga, hoping better dates will open up... smiley Or perhaps Lagos will open earlier dates since @EducationUSALagos facebook webinar yesterday, the consular lady suggested so.

Logged in this afternoon, to see earliest date in Abuja now October, Lagos still no date yet. Became concerned. "I better book a date first and see how things go oh". Swiftly books Abuja, and told self: a bird in hand is worth millions in the bush.

After booking, to test things, I clicked on Reschedule Appointment tab, and saw this message:
"If you cancel this appointment, then you will have exceeded the limit of appointments, and will not be able to schedule another appointment until another MRV fee has been paid."

Questions:

- I thought I got a couple of times to change dates?

- Will I still be able to switch back to Lagos and book a new date if a better dates opens up?
Or am I stuck with Abuja until it's time to book emergency?

Please guide me.
First time applicant.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Damilare68: 3:41pm On Apr 21, 2021
Malone122:
since you have already booked a date initially you still have one more chance to reschedule or choose Lagos if you cancel it for the second time that’s another MRV fee

You should have waited. Lagos dates have been showing in numbers since yesterday. You can still reschedule

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by godguy: 3:56pm On Apr 21, 2021
MelaninGemstone:
Because someone told me that it will be hard to convince the VO to issue a visa if you don’t have funding

And the VO will know, because the I-20 won’t show any funding or assistantships

The VO would wonder and won’t be convinced if one will be able to pay all the COA solely.

That’s what I was told

There are so many people who have gotten visa approved without financial assistance for MS program.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by MelaninGemstone(f): 4:05pm On Apr 21, 2021
godguy:

There are so many people who have gotten visa approved without financial assistance for MS program.
That was in the past

These days, you must have funding or you will be denied
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by dodoyinsolar202: 4:11pm On Apr 21, 2021
MelaninGemstone:

you must have funding or you will be denied
Facts, or your opinion?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Denuga91: 4:24pm On Apr 21, 2021
dodoyinsolar202:
Facts, or your opinion?

It is not even an opinion, it's a big fat lie!

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by kastgeraldino: 4:24pm On Apr 21, 2021
When you say funding do you mean any funding or just only full funding? Cos at the end of the day, if someone's family has money to pay full then I don't know what the issue would be. And most people don't get full funding. So if someone gets $20K funding out of a total cost of $45K, is there any advantage?

MelaninGemstone:
That was in the past

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by psychologyshuby: 4:27pm On Apr 21, 2021
Since you have made up your mind that if you don’t have funding you can’t get visa then you can’t.
MelaninGemstone:
That was in the past

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by dodoyinsolar202: 4:30pm On Apr 21, 2021
Denuga91:

It is not even an opinion, it's a big fat lie!
Lol. I wanted him to land first.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by MelaninGemstone(f): 4:30pm On Apr 21, 2021
kastgeraldino:
When you say funding do you mean any funding or just only full funding? Cos at the end of the day, if someone's family has money to pay full then I don't know what the issue would be. And most people don't get full funding. So if someone gets $20K funding out of a total cost of $45K, is there any advantage?

I mean any funding at all.

Doesn’t necessarily have to be full funding.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by MelaninGemstone(f): 4:34pm On Apr 21, 2021
tonero4urch:

Bro, what did you graduate with please? I just got a response from the graduate office of Stevens, I sent them a mail inquiring about graduate assistantships and funding, and they said that I didn’t get funding because I didn’t finish with first class. Lol

I finished with a second class upper (Hons)

So I wanna know if anyone here finished with first class and still didn’t get funding from Stevens.

If there is someone like that, that means the school is just looking for money grin

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by EffectEn: 4:35pm On Apr 21, 2021
Seriously, which dates are available in Lagos now?

Damilare68:

You should have waited. Lagos dates have been showing in numbers since yesterday. You can still reschedule
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by tonero4urch(m): 4:46pm On Apr 21, 2021
MelaninGemstone:
Bro, what did you graduate with please? I just got a response from the graduate office of Stevens, I sent them a mail inquiring about graduate assistantships and funding, and they said that I didn’t get funding because I didn’t finish with first class. Lol

So I wanna know if anyone here finished with first class and still didn’t get funding from Stevens.

If there is someone like that, that means the school is just looking for money grin

I finished my undergraduate with 4.44/5 and my masters degree with 3.03/4. I applied for a master program again so I don't know what they are looking for that made me not to get assistantship. Na them sabi....
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Shuayb0(m): 4:47pm On Apr 21, 2021
Wow, what an expose, I got admitted to a masters program with a $20,000 scholarship. Now negotiating assistantship with them, cos I got an assistantship elsewhere, but I didn't graduate with a first-class. Hopefully, they will consider me. Can anyone advise, please?
MelaninGemstone:

(1) (2) (3) ... (131) (132) (133) (134) (135) (136) (137) ... (1004)

General South Africa Visa Enquiries / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2

Viewing this topic: bshape, Jedooooo(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.