Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,991 members, 7,817,916 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:54 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 - Travel (244) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 (1645480 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (241) (242) (243) (244) (245) (246) (247) ... (1004) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by crowniran(m): 7:54pm On Jun 12, 2021
horlahsunbo225:

What's your undergraduate GPA
GSU, TTU will give you admission and finding if you've above 3.2/4

What about PhD in construction management or industrial engineering.
I have 3.34/4
312 in GRE (Q163 V149)
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Charles61: 7:57pm On Jun 12, 2021
Please guru am new here and I need help with the full meaning of
COA
DEFICIT

Secondly, please when is the right time to apply for universities in usa

Thank you so much
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by simpul(m): 8:01pm On Jun 12, 2021
Good evening house, I was refused at the Lagos embassy on Thursday below is my transcript. Please I need advice on how I could link my current job with my MPA because I noticed that was the reason the VO denied me although he(VO) only approved two person from 8am till around 11am when I was on queue he was just busy dishing out green paper like Christmas gift. I mean the VO in the middle,he looks like an Indian American those there that day can attest to this.

VO- Good morning, how are you?
Me- I'm fine, Hope you are doing fine?
VO-Yeah, i'm doing great.
VO- I can see you are going to the university of North texas denton for your master degree.
Me-Yes Sir.
VO-Where do you work currently.
Me-I worked with ****** as an administrative officer, as an administrative officer I'm responsible for assessing the documents presented by customer who wants to access loan facility also, I run credit check for customer to ascertain their credit worthiness,
VO- How does public administration relates with your current job?
Me- Sensing that he noticed i work with a financial institution, I quickly said the courses i will be taking in public administration will equip and expose me to advance skills needed to take up a managerial role in administrative department.
VO- You seems not to understand what i said, i mean how does public administration relates with your current job
Me-The course.....
VO- *on a low tone* he asked,who will be paying for your tuition?
Me-My maternal uncle Mr ***,He is the CEO of *** consultant nigeria limited,it is an architectural firm that deals on designing building structures
VO. I'm sorry you are not qualified for this visa at this time. This paper will explain why.

i notice that the VO lost interest right from the first question, the preceding questions were asked just for formality, I watched his countenance as i talk, he looked uninterested.

NB: This is my third attempt and I want to reapply again. So I want the experienced in the house to help me with suggestions. Thank you all.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by barleeh: 8:16pm On Jun 12, 2021
Haryans:
Please I still need help. Any contribution(s) is welcomed ������
same here, I was also rejected that same day by the black woman, It was a bloody rejection day. But i guess u should give it time, new dates for July should pop up. That Lagos embassy looks very bloody, so I guess I will give Abuja a try if possible

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Adesquare1992: 8:27pm On Jun 12, 2021
Proposed transcript.
Kindly help me review it.

I was previously denied a visa in July, 2019 @ Abuja. While my interview didn't last for up to 2minutes the only questions asked was "why this school" and "what other schools did you apply to?". What I noticed afterwards was that she felt I should have gone with one of the schools other than one I was going to. Note,she didn't spill this out directly but it was crystal clear that was what she implied. Well,I didn't reapply until now.

My interview is in few weeks from now and below is my proposed transcript.

All protocol observed...

VO:Where are you headed to?
ME: Grand valley State University for my Master's in Criminal Justice with a Concentration in Law Enforcement Administration.

VO: You were denied in 2019 so,what has changed since then?

ME: I completed my PGD diploma in Criminology and Security Studies at the National Open University of Nigeria in 2020. I left my former job at Soji Solomon & Associates and now work as a Field operating officer, a subset of the Criminal Investigative Department of the NPF.

VO: Why this School?

ME: This field is sub divided into three which are Law enforcement administration, Courts, Rehabilitation and correction. Since I'm more interested in identifying crime and apprehending criminals, Law Enforcement suit me best. After checking the brochure of this school,I realise it is a perfect match with my current job while it also aligns with my career goals since it allows me concentrate in Law Enforcement Administration.

In addition to this,I was admitted to two schools. In other to be sure,I proceeded to check the course curriculum for both schools. Unlike NMSU, the course curriculum at GVSU cut across all the three sub divisions of the field even though over 65 percent of my courses would concentrate on LEA. This was not the case at NMSU.

More so,I would be opportune to work with the only female professor of crime mapping in this field. Her expertise in this area of CJ is highly needed in the management of crime and security in my country. Having reached out to her and considering I have a background in Criminology and SS,she is glad to have me work with as she is currently working on a research that attempt to address insecurity in third world countries,one of which is Nigeria.

VO: What will this program do for you?

ME: In Feb. 2020, we received what was supposed to be a classified Intel from Narcotic department of the NDLEA about the whereabouts of a wanted drug baron. Unknown to us that someone within our department had been compromised,we walked into an ambush. I practically saw my life flashed before my eyes...my daughters without a father and a lot flashed within my mind. I came to the conclusion that a dead man can't fight crime hence,I feel I would be more useful with the administrative section of my department which is the brainbox of the whole department. Unfortunately, the minimum requirement to switch is a Master's degree.

We have over 240million Nigerians with none of us knowing what's coming next. Reports shows that crime that takes days,weeks and months to plan are the ones with the most casualties hence this kind of crimes(Kidnapping,bank robbery, etc) can effectively me managed with the help of crime mapping. Working with Prof. Tina Godfrey,the only female academician to partner with the FBI in the hunt for Osama Bin Laden having adopted crime mapping would be helpful in this regards.

Upon successfully completing this program,I will be opportune to take the administrative exam plus I would automatically skip four stages. Should I pass the exam,the offer it comes with includes but not limited to increment in Salary.

VO: What's your study plan?

ME: I am expected to complete 36 credits throughout the duration of my program which means 9 credit per semester. I would be taking courses like Criminal Justice Research, Crime analysis and Data Collection, Society and Policing, The mind of the artist etc. I am expected to maintain a 3.25GPA to remain in the Program and a 3.52 GPA to be considered for a GA in Winter.

VO:What's your educational and work background?

ME: I completed my Bachelor's degree in Philosophy in 2015 and proceeded for the compulsory NYSC program in mid 2016 which was completed in Mid 2017. I worked briefly with Educare Foundation after which I left to work with Soji Solomon and Associates. I left there in 2019 for my Post Graduate Diploma in Criminology & SS which was completed in late 2020. Towards the tail end of 2020,I applied and got employed as a Field Operating Officer, a subset of Criminal Investigative Department of the NPF.

What's your take ??

6 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Jamesp008: 8:32pm On Jun 12, 2021
Good Evening house. I had been following nairaland for quite sometime now, reading all the Visa transcripts and hoping for an approval on my date as well. Anyways dream came through two days ago on june 10th, 2021 when I got approved at the Lagos embassy. My interview was slated for 7:45am but I had gotten to Walter C. By 5:40am and people were already there(shey dem dey sleep there nih��) . Anyways here is my visa transcript between I and the v.o. I was interviewed by the first V.O in window 1, he was quite advanced in age. I wore a floral shirt and sandals ��

NB: i am an undergraduate student

V.O: Pass me your passport and I-20 ( baba no even dey smile, he just denied about 3 people in front of me lol)
Me: passed the document and I said Good morning sir( he just looked up and murmured Good morning too, I noticed he was closely studying my I-20)
V.O: What's your travel plans( that was the same first question he had been asking everyone that came to him and I figured out that he meant that what are you planning to travel for)
Me: I am planning to go and study Engineering Science at the LU of Penn(I said it in full tho) located at (the full address of the school)
V.O: What's your course ( I actually knew why he asked the question , there was engineering general on my I-20 but i said engineering science but i had discovered that earlier and had spoken to my DS0 about it and she had given me the reason why it was like that and I printed out our email conversations and took it along with me so I answered)
Me: I am going to study engineering science but it is listed as engineering general on my I-20 because when I had conversations with my DSO she told me that all fresh men are technically undeclared until their second semester of the freshman year but they understand for travel purposes I will need to indicate my major so that's why it is like that .. I have the proof of our conversation here
V.O: How did you get information about the program
Me: Well I came from a high school where international education is well appreciated through the educational counsellor we have, reason why most of my seniors have gone on to pursue their tertiary education in the USA and are back here in Nigeria doing good for themselves so when it came to my turn I just had to reach out to them to get info about good engineering schools and I took that information.....(V.O cuts in)
V.O: Who is your sponsor?
Me: Although I have a full tuition scholarship, the remaining of my living expenses will be taken of by my Aunt, who is my mum's junior sister
My aunty is a chief accountant at the voice of nigeria, a radio station owned by the Federal Gov of Nigeria, she also has one of the largest farm projects in Lagos and Ogun states plus she has a lot of investments in real estate as well ( NB: at the point where I mentioned full tuition scholarship, he fixed his eyes on me and we were now maintaining eye contact.)

Then he said I will be approving your F1 visa you can pick up your passport at the so so so so ( I didn't even hear the rest) I was so damn happy
Goodluck to everyone who is going to the embassy

33 Likes 4 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Haryans: 8:45pm On Jun 12, 2021
Im thinking Abuja too, I just saw August 30 now we’ll I will keep refreshing the site till I get a date in June or July.
barleeh:
same here, I was also rejected that same day by the black woman, It was a bloody rejection day. But i guess u should give it time, new dates for July should pop up. That Lagos embassy looks very bloody, so I guess I will give Abuja a try if possible
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Bigsecret(f): 8:52pm On Jun 12, 2021
Pay your Visa fee
Fill your Ds160 form
Book an appointment
Pay for Sevis fee
Get your documents ready
Prepare for interview
Go and get the Visa
Fikayoid:
Hello guys, I need someone to put me through.

I just got my I20 and I need to know what else to do.

And in the right order too. Bearing in mind available dates for interview.

Thanks in anticipation.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by EricOse1(m): 9:12pm On Jun 12, 2021
Good evening everyone,
I want to thank everyone who have been of great help, God bless you all.

Please house I'm thinking about these,I don't know the one to take:
I have a B,sc. In human Physiology, since graduation unable to secure job in this line,so I dive into scaffolding and solar installation.
Now these are options I'm thinking in my mind to take:
1,To do master in Health safety(I'm thinking of this since my job experience has something to do with safety then connect it with my degree).Or
2, Master in public health Or
3, master in research in health related field (though I don't have any research background except during B,sc. Project).
Please I need help,I don't know which would give me a better chance. Please I need your opinions

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by lincolnsnowhite: 9:53pm On Jun 12, 2021
Good evening everyone, pls I need advice and what can be done?

I applied to USA embassy 2018, I was denied visa ( Student Visa) back then I was in my HND 2

The agent that helped me with filling the DS 160, said the white doesn’t like gap in education...

So my ND ( Business Administration and ICT) information was correct and graduated 2016, then IT 2016-2017, HND 2017 to 2019. Instead he said I graduated 2018!skipping the IT.

The course he said I did was Computer Science, which i my real course is business Administration & Management I graduated 2019.

Now I applied to Saint Louis Uni, which they collected proper documents and what will I say if in my new Ds 160 is saying HND business Administration & Management and graduated 2019
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Tessyope: 10:27pm On Jun 12, 2021
What I noticed in this is the part you called Nigeria a third world country, to me third world country is just a stylish way of calling a country backward which seems really disrespectful you can just use developing country instead, good luck.
Kindly help me review it.

I was previously denied a visa in July, 2019 @ Abuja. While my interview didn't last for up to 2minutes the only questions asked was "why this school" and "what other schools did you apply to?". What I noticed afterwards was that she felt I should have gone with one of the schools other than one I was going to. Note,she didn't spill this out directly but it was crystal clear that was what she implied. Well,I didn't reapply until now.

My interview is in few weeks from now and below is my proposed transcript.

All protocol observed...

VO:Where are you headed to?
ME: Grand valley State University for my Master's in Criminal Justice with a Concentration in Law Enforcement Administration.

VO: You were denied in 2019 so,what has changed since then?

ME: I completed my PGD diploma in Criminology and Security Studies at the National Open University of Nigeria in 2020. I left my former job at Soji Solomon & Associates and now work as a Field operating officer, a subset of the Criminal Investigative Department of the NPF.

VO: Why this School?

ME: This field is sub divided into three which are Law enforcement administration, Courts, Rehabilitation and correction. Since I'm more interested in identifying crime and apprehending criminals, Law Enforcement suit me best. After checking the brochure of this school,I realise it is a perfect match with my current job while it also aligns with my career goals since it allows me concentrate in Law Enforcement Administration.

In addition to this,I was admitted to two schools. In other to be sure,I proceeded to check the course curriculum for both schools. Unlike NMSU, the course curriculum at GVSU cut across all the three sub divisions of the field even though over 65 percent of my courses would concentrate on LEA. This was not the case at NMSU.

More so,I would be opportune to work with the only female professor of crime mapping in this field. Her expertise in this area of CJ is highly needed in the management of crime and security in my country. Having reached out to her and considering I have a background in Criminology and SS,she is glad to have me work with as she is currently working on a research that attempt to address insecurity in third world countries,one of which is Nigeria.

VO: What will this program do for you?

ME: In Feb. 2020, we received what was supposed to be a classified Intel from Narcotic department of the NDLEA about the whereabouts of a wanted drug baron. Unknown to us that someone within our department had been compromised,we walked into an ambush. I practically saw my life flashed before my eyes...my daughters without a father and a lot flashed within my mind. I came to the conclusion that a dead man can't fight crime hence,I feel I would be more useful with the administrative section of my department which is the brainbox of the whole department. Unfortunately, the minimum requirement to switch is a Master's degree.

We have over 240million Nigerians with none of us knowing what's coming next. Reports shows that crime that takes days,weeks and months to plan are the ones with the most casualties hence this kind of crimes(Kidnapping,bank robbery, etc) can effectively me managed with the help of crime mapping. Working with Prof. Tina Godfrey,the only female academician to partner with the FBI in the hunt for Osama Bin Laden having adopted crime mapping would be helpful in this regards.

Upon successfully completing this program,I will be opportune to take the administrative exam plus I would automatically skip four stages. Should I pass the exam,the offer it comes with includes but not limited to increment in Salary.

VO: What's your study plan?

ME: I am expected to complete 36 credits throughout the duration of my program which means 9 credit per semester. I would be taking courses like Criminal Justice Research, Crime analysis and Data Collection, Society and Policing, The mind of the artist etc. I am expected to maintain a 3.25GPA to remain in the Program and a 3.52 GPA to be considered for a GA in Winter.

VO:What's your educational and work background?

ME: I completed my Bachelor's degree in Philosophy in 2015 and proceeded for the compulsory NYSC program in mid 2016 which was completed in Mid 2017. I worked briefly with Educare Foundation after which I left to work with Soji Solomon and Associates. I left there in 2019 for my Post Graduate Diploma in Criminology & SS which was completed in late 2020. Towards the tail end of 2020,I applied and got employed as a Field Operating Officer, a subset of Criminal Investigative Department of the NPF.

What's your take ??[/quote]
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Walspring: 10:29pm On Jun 12, 2021
Haryans:
Good morning everyone, please I really need help. I was refused visa on the 7th of June. I want to reapply as my program date is in August. I just paid another MRV fee yesterday and I found out that the available date is September 7 which is so far. I changed to Abuja and the available date is August 26. Please what can I do. I was thinking if I could change my ds 160 location to Nigeria Abuja May be I will get a closer date.my dashboard is also saying my passport is still with the US consular when I have my passport with me. Please help me @TWoods
@Walspring @ Lagosismyhome. Thank you

As for your dash board it will change, also keep checking and you will see closer date for yourself.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Jegzyman(m): 10:30pm On Jun 12, 2021
I remember you. I was just entering the hall then. You were well prepared. I felt your responses.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by otclare(f): 10:32pm On Jun 12, 2021
Please I would like to know if F shows on my transcript even though I've cleared the course, then can the 'F' deny my admission into any foreign university for my master's degree
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Walspring: 10:35pm On Jun 12, 2021
otclare:
Please I would like to know if F shows on my transcript even though I've cleared the course, then can the 'F' deny my admission into any foreign university for my master's degree

They work mostly with you GPA and courses that you passed.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Pefuele(m): 10:43pm On Jun 12, 2021
Charles61:
Please guru am new here and I need help with the full meaning of
COA
DEFICIT

Secondly, please when is the right time to apply for universities in usa

Thank you so much

COA: Cost of Attendance
Deficit: it can be what remains from your cost of attendance when the scholarship amount is removed from it. Or it may be your COA if you have no scholarships.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Pefuele(m): 10:48pm On Jun 12, 2021
simpul:
Good evening house, I was refused at the Lagos embassy on Thursday below is my transcript. Please I need advice on how I could link my current job with my MPA because I noticed that was the reason the VO denied me although he(VO) only approved two person from 8am till around 11am when I was on queue he was just busy dishing out green paper like Christmas gift. I mean the VO in the middle,he looks like an Indian American those there that day can attest to this.

VO- Good morning, how are you?
Me- I'm fine, Hope you are doing fine?
VO-Yeah, i'm doing great.
VO- I can see you are going to the university of North texas denton for your master degree.
Me-Yes Sir.
VO-Where do you work currently.
Me-I worked with ****** as an administrative officer, as an administrative officer I'm responsible for assessing the documents presented by customer who wants to access loan facility also, I run credit check for customer to ascertain their credit worthiness,
VO- How does public administration relates with your current job?
Me- Sensing that he noticed i work with a financial institution, I quickly said the courses i will be taking in public administration will equip and expose me to advance skills needed to take up a managerial role in administrative department.
VO- You seems not to understand what i said, i mean how does public administration relates with your current job
Me-The course.....
VO- *on a low tone* he asked,who will be paying for your tuition?
Me-My maternal uncle Mr ***,He is the CEO of *** consultant nigeria limited,it is an architectural firm that deals on designing building structures
VO. I'm sorry you are not qualified for this visa at this time. This paper will explain why.

i notice that the VO lost interest right from the first question, the preceding questions were asked just for formality, I watched his countenance as i talk, he looked uninterested.

NB: This is my third attempt and I want to reapply again. So I want the experienced in the house to help me with suggestions. Thank you all.

An alignment of your intended course with your Professional Experience is key. Try get some Scholarships/ GA next time.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by James241: 11:10pm On Jun 12, 2021
Hello Everyone,

When filling Ds160 form, there's no section to input kid details. I'm single with a son. I need help please
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by tunapawizzy: 12:09am On Jun 13, 2021
Steph1738aye:
Nope.
1- The Nigerian mentality here is hiding the name of your school like you don’t want to see another Nigerian in your class when you start your studies. It also doesn’t really concern you if they choose not to put in any effort or be lazy in their research because it would come back to haunt them later on. No 2 applications are the same
2- It’s not a valid question. Do you think there aren’t thousands of students from other countries applying to the same university? But when it comes to Nigeria, some Nigerians see it as a problem when they do not own the school.
3- There’s nothing to be confused about. The point of my post is this- “what is the big deal in sharing the name of the school you’re accepted into after you’ve gotten your visa approval? This platform exists to help one another. No need to xyz the name of your school because whether you like it on not, you’ll meet a Nigerian there.
Like I said before, another person’s light doesn’t dim yours and no one “demands” others to share the name of schools they were accepted into.
I hope I cleared the air up for you.
I just cant understand why people justify not sharing the name of unis that admitted them with 'people are too lazy to do research'. Do they know how many people have searched extensively and have not found something that is a proper fit for them. That you share school name does not mean, a new applicant wont still put in effort in preparing his or her application. Some dont search for long before they find a fit, some do for so long before they find one. Some get the right info from people and their search is short.... That the journey was tedious n long for one doesnt mean it has to be for others....abi which kain naija lecturer mindset be that.

20 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by mantics(m): 12:16am On Jun 13, 2021
James241:
Hello Everyone,

When filling Ds160 form, there's no section to input kid details. I'm single with a son. I need help please

There is no space to do fill your kid details. Only spouse if you are married.

Best
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by tunapawizzy: 12:18am On Jun 13, 2021
James241:
Hello Everyone,

I dont think there's any section for that, you might just have to be creative enough to bring up your child during the interview( thats if the VO doesnt ask you if you have a child). For example, what will you do after the program OR what will this program do for you? This program will give me the opportunity to blablablablabla , and i will also be able to effectively mentor my son who wants to become a ..........( mention a career u can mentor with the knowledge u will be getting).
Not sure if its a good suggestion but i think it should be.

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by homodele: 12:22am On Jun 13, 2021
Hello, please how can I go about this?

chibertha:
For those traveling soon, Kenya airways are on promo you can get tickets as low as NGN280,000.00
You might want to check it out
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Aishat89: 12:27am On Jun 13, 2021
aishatadel@yahoo.com i need these too.. thanks in advance

LadeeE:

ladeegreat@yahoo.com
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Nobody: 1:10am On Jun 13, 2021
Please are there any cheap schools for MSc in the us?
Abeg!!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Damilare68: 4:29am On Jun 13, 2021
TWoods:

Let’s face it, it isn’t. It’s frankly lazy. The number of schools referenced here are only a tiny fraction of the number of schools available. I also think chastising people for exercising their right to not mention school programs they found through their own hard work is unfair bullying. Do your own work.

But this is not entirely true. Some people get scoops on PhD funding appointments or vacancies from adverts posted here. Imagine someone applying to a funded PhD program whose advert was shared on this platform, like many we have been seeing, gets in and then shares a transcript and hides those details...

Of course, no one owes anybody any explanation. Also, I understand very well how people can be lazy and expect you to do all the work for them--frankly speaking, hiding both school and program details will not stop that. They can find you anywhere and still bombard you with that. Heck, your close and distant friends and fam can/will do that to you once you leave--gbagbe you can't escape it. So, if it is about that, then I think that is 'quite' a defeated campaign.

I even feel the reason for hiding might be more of 'other reasons' than because you don't want people to ask you questions or follow your track, because that is just unavoidable. Now the real question is are you helping other people by hiding or by not hiding. That is a pros and cons that people should weigh--unless you don't care, in which case this does not apply to you.

For instance, not everybody checks out your transcript in the future or now to know where to apply. Some need contacts to make practical inquiries after getting admission to those 'schools'. Some of these are about accomodation, and other details on resettling that only someone living or studying in that environment can offer.

Some of these inquiries can even be years further down the line, after you have graduated. People search out posts on LinkedIn don't they, to reach out to students of particular schools. You might have even graduated. Sometimes using specific keywords helps make the process easier. At any point in time.

Now imagine if everyone hid the name of their schools. Imagine if everyone was like you. Just imagine na.

And the funny thing is people will put up these schools on LinkedIn right, and hide it here. Is that not funny.

And last but not the least, sometimes sharing these schools inspire others. Especially the top ones. Like a friend of mine once said, Nigerians will share the bad stories and then hide it when they hit it big. The danger in that is you are actively contributing to a narrative that hurts people down the line... A narrative of defeat. Imagine people no sharing transcripts at all. The myth of oh, us visa this, us visa that will remain rooted in our collective as it once was.

Of course no one can force you to hide or reveal your school. But ask yourself pertinent questions and then reconsider that choice.

Frankly, I don't care if you do or not. But at least let people be inspired by your story if it is inspiring.

Alternatively, you can drop your school and mute the program . Or if na fear, wait till you there and share your transcript.

But then, to each their own style.

PS: the use of you is a generic reference to those who fall into that category.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by chibertha(f): 5:13am On Jun 13, 2021
No. 1 you can defend it anyway from your tool box talks. Trust me.
EricOse1:
Good evening everyone,
I want to thank everyone who have been of great help, God bless you all.

Please house I'm thinking about these,I don't know the one to take:
I have a B,sc. In human Physiology, since graduation unable to secure job in this line,so I dive into scaffolding and solar installation.
Now these are options I'm thinking in my mind to take:
1,To do master in Health safety(I'm thinking of this since my job experience has something to do with safety then connect it with my degree).Or
2, Master in public health Or
3, master in research in health related field (though I don't have any research background except during B,sc. Project).
Please I need help,I don't know which would give me a better chance. Please I need your opinions
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Nicerazor(m): 5:18am On Jun 13, 2021
*PROPOSED TRANSCRIPT*

*CONSULAR: Pass Your Passport and i-20 Please
Me: Passed them

*CONSULAR: Why Are You Going to the US?*
Me : I’m going to the US for my Masters in National Security at University of New Haven in Connecticut.

*CONSULAR: Why the US?*
Me : The US is the best when it comes to quality education in National Security, with strong and practical for advanced knowledge.
A US degree has excellent international reputation and will invariably give me a competitive edge over my peers when I return to Nigeria to work.

*CONSULAR: How Did You Get This School? / How Did You Hear About This School?*
Me: After thoroug assessment of my professional goals and realise the need for this degree, I searched for universities online via google and niche.com and and I saw about 7 universities but I applied to 3.

*CONSULAR: How Many Schools Did You Apply To?*
Me: I applied to 3 universities, namely University of New Haven, University of Bridgeport and Arizona State University.

*CONSULAR: Why Did You Choose this School?*
Me: I selected the University of New Haven because I am fascinated and interested in Professor Jeffrey Treistmann's research and approach to National. The courses I will be taking in National Security Programs: Architecture and Mission, Securing National Security Information Systems, Bioterrorism and Biodefense will complement my academic background in Criminology and Security Studies. The courses at in UNH are taught by experienced practitioners in the CIA, FBI, United Nations and Connecticut State police. This will give me first-hand experience on how to deal with 21st security challenges when I return to Nigeria. I am also excited that Professor Jeffrey Treistmann is my program coordinator. I also receive 10% Dean scholarship that reduces my tution.

*CONSULAR: Tell Me About Your Academic Background?*
Me: I studied Bsc Crimnology and Security Studies from National Open University of Nigeria in 2017. I also received a professional Certificates in Security Management and Strategy from International Institute of Professional Security in 2017, and last year I obtained a Professional Specialist Certificate in Criminal Investigations, Digital Forensic and Intelligence from University of Lagos. Currently, I work at Lifeshield Aegis Konsult Ltd as a security Consultant.

*CONSULAR: Why Do You Need this Masters? / What Will this degree do for you? / What is the relationship between this program and what you do at the moment?*
Me: I have received different certification in the security field, but I do not have a master degree, which is essential at this phase of my career. So this degree will broaden my horizon and equip me to with modern security perspective and intelligence as the Managing Director and senior security analyst of my firm; , this experience will give my firm a competitive edge in the private security industry.

*CONSULAR: What are those courses you’ll be taking / Tell me about your program / What is your study plan?*
Me : The Masters in National Security is My program is Ms National Security is a 36 credit hours with 18 core courses and 18 credits of general electives. I will be taking classes in Research Methods and Intelligence analysis, Securing National Security information Systems, National Security Policy and Strategy, National Security Program: Architecture and Mission, National Security Charter,Legal issues and Executive Order, Bioterrorism and Biodefense.

*CONSULAR: Did You Write Any Standardized Test?*
Me : No I didn’t, my school waived it for me.

*CONSULAR: Are you married?*
Me : No, I’m single

*CONSULAR: Have You Travelled Before?*
Me : No, I haven’t travelled outside Nigeria.

*CONSULAR: Who Is Paying For This? / Who Is Sponsoring You?*
Me : I received a 10% scholarship and my sister will be paying the deficit. I also have personal savings of about ... towards my living expenses.

*CONSULAR: What Does Your Sponsor Do?*
Me : She is a successful businesswoman, she owns big gas plants for consumers; She also invests in real estate with landed properties in Lagos and Ibadan.

*CONSULAR: How Many siblings do you have?*
Me : I have 2 sisters and I’m the only male.

*CONSULAR: What are your career plans / What is your plan after graduation?*
Me : I will come back to Nigeria to take up my position as the Managing Director of my firm Lifeshield Aegis Konsult Ltd. I also hope to work with the Nigerian National Securty Agency as a part-time consultant on national saftety and better security for Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Nobody: 6:06am On Jun 13, 2021
Who knows how to get a closer date for student visa?

My school resumes August and no closer date for appointment yet.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by TWoods(m): 7:01am On Jun 13, 2021
This is chockful of contradictions.

Damilare68:

But this is not entirely true. Some people get scoops on PhD funding appointments or vacancies from adverts posted here. Imagine someone applying to a funded PhD program whose advert was shared on this platform, like many we have been seeing, gets in and then shares a transcript and hides those details...

This more than fair. However, what folks are demanding aren't scoops, funding opportunities or vacancies. They are demanding for names of schools. Even if... the info you're asking for is publically available online to everyone. It isn't hidden.

Damilare68:

Also, I understand very well how people can be lazy and expect you to do all the work for them--frankly speaking, hiding both school and program details will not stop that. They can find you anywhere and still bombard you with that. Heck, your close and distant friends and fam can/will do that to you once you leave--gbagbe you can't escape it. So, if it is about that, then I think that is 'quite' a defeated campaign.

This is silly. There is a reason the "block" feature exists. You can't threaten to harass someone because you're too lazy to do your own work.

Damilare68:

For instance, not everybody checks out your transcript in the future or now to know where to apply. Some need contacts to make practical inquiries after getting admission to those 'schools'. Some of these are about accommodation, and other details on resettling that only someone living or studying in that environment can offer.

Again, this all boils down to laziness or fear of approaching folks you don't know. Every University that admits international students has an International Student Office. It is their job to provide you this information. Part of your admission letter comes with an information pack that provides you all the information you need in terms of cost of living, what facilities (e.g. transportation, city sites, temporary or permanent housing, banking, etc.) are available to you. Some schools have someone to pick you up at the airport. Many of the questions asked here can be answered simply by speaking with your ISO or program coordinator.

Damilare68:

Of course, no one owes anybody any explanation.

Of course no one can force you to hide or reveal your school.

Frankly, I don't care if you do or not.

So what is the point of your post?

Damilare68:

But at least let people be inspired by your story if it is inspiring.

You can be inspired by the story to do your own work... the name of the school isn't necessary.

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by TWoods(m): 7:15am On Jun 13, 2021
theForth:
Please are there any cheap schools for MSc in the us?
Abeg!!

Google.com

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by TWoods(m): 7:19am On Jun 13, 2021
tunapawizzy:

I just cant understand why people justify not sharing the name of unis that admitted them with 'people are too lazy to do research'. Do they know how many people have searched extensively and have not found something that is a proper fit for them. That you share school name does not mean, a new applicant wont still put in effort in preparing his or her application. Some dont search for long before they find a fit, some do for so long before they find one. Some get the right info from people and their search is short.... That the journey was tedious n long for one doesnt mean it has to be for others....abi which kain naija lecturer mindset be that.

And? How is that anyone's problem?

If you have a problem searching for a school that is a proper fit for you, why should the school others are admitted to suddenly be the proper fit for you? Perhaps what you need to do is re-evaluate your career goals and reason for studying in the US.

You have things upside down, the naija mentality is one where no one wants to put in any effort... they just want to crib from others.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (241) (242) (243) (244) (245) (246) (247) ... (1004)

General South Africa Visa Enquiries / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2

Viewing this topic: Jedooooo(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.