Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,524 members, 7,816,281 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:44 AM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 - Travel (333) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 (1644227 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (330) (331) (332) (333) (334) (335) (336) ... (1004) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by ennymatics: 5:40pm On Jul 09, 2021
Anyone going to Boston via Qatar airways on August 8th? Please link up.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Pefuele(m): 5:46pm On Jul 09, 2021
Janet200:

Tennesse tech
NCAT
Iowa state
Mississippi state

My little advice google academic key, check for available positions advertised there for students in your field and email the department about it.

Ok,let me help. I believe you aren't an EE person so you just posted those schools randomly based on his profile so no issues.

TTU: doesnt meet minimum GRE requirement but GPA is ok. He can mail the GC but will need to get a PI for PhD funding. This is moderate for his profile.

NCAT: lower Quant score but can go ahead to mail the GC for possible admits and funding. Still moderate for his profile.

Iowa state: ambitious for his profile for PhD.

MSU: I noticed few minutes ago that they are waiving the GRE for fall2022. So, safe for his profile but will also need a supervisor.

He can check st.cloud state, UNC Charlotte( I declined an RA here), Norfolk State University ( they use GRE for funding but can give it a try since not a competitive school but needs Wes), the University of south Alabama,West Virginia University & Western Michigan University ( 2 profs wanted to give me an RA here but declined the offer). Best to him ..

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by tonero4urch(m): 6:09pm On Jul 09, 2021
HushTee:
Visa Transcript

F1, F2 (wife and baby)
Location: Lagos (initial date was Jan 2024, but we were able to reschedule to July 8 2021 - we didn't apply for EA, we just found that we can reschedule)
Time: 7.45am
COA: $104k approx. Fully funded (no deficit)

God did it.

I was interviewed first..... Dude seemed nice, he also did our fingerprint.

VO: What are you going to the US for? (I requested he repeat the question again though cos my baby's cries didn't make me hear the first time)
Me: I'm going for my PhD degree in Evolutionary Biology at Yale University.

VO: Can you say the name of the school again?
Me: Yale University

VO: How many programs did you apply to?
Me: Seven (six admits)

VO: So, why Yale?
Me: I talked about how the professors research interests aligned with mine, with specific research topics. I also talked about the presence of a strong network of researchers in my field who produce some of the best research in that field in the US. I forgot my practise (but uncrammed) lines at some point but replaced them with whatever came to mind regarding my research interests - they kuku have almost no idea what my research is about,

VO: Have you been to other countries before?
Me: Yes, India.

VO: For what?
Me: A research fellowship. I got a research fellowship and I went to India for a year to carry out the research.

VO: That's great, excellent. So, I see you're fully funded, are you aware of the kind of apartments there for you?
Me: Yes, one bedroom flat... One bedroom apartment

VO: Has your school settled it?
Me: I was about saying "no, but I've paid for it," only for him to say "I'm sure they have." I kuku kept quiet.

All the while I was being interviewed, my baby was crying seriously. When I finished mine, I collected her from my wife so she too can be interviewed. She cried all through, we didn't stay in any of the queues cos of that.

Then he moved to my wife
VO: What do you do?
Her: I'm a fashion designer, I run a fashion business.

VO: What will happen to your business here? (this was a slippery slope question that we already prepped for)
Her: I've handed over to my second in command for the duration I'll be away

VO: What will you do when you get there?
Her: I'll spend time with my husband, I'll take care of my baby

VO: So you don't have any intention of working in US?
Her: No, not at all.

After she was interviewed, she was told our visas will be ready in a few days. I heard that and passed her our baby to collected the white paper containing the pickup address. We had a long day celebrating.

I have a fairly okay profile. I'm a 2:2 BSc grad, really good MSc, a few publications and conferences, a few years of research experience (about 5 years including and a research fellowship abroad), I did TOEFL and scored 101 but didn't need to use it cos I did it because of only one school - Cornell (that rejected me), and had solid references.

I've been a silent observer here, but I'll just share my 2 cents / tips on a few issues that I find worrying on this thread.
Firstly, I searched and searched and for transcript from someone going for a visa interview the same day with all family members (to predict my chances. cos I'd been told by some people that we have low chances of approval if we apply together - terrible information) and someone who's going to an ivy league (to know if I'll get any privileges). But, that was ineffective, I guess my research skills just got the better of me (not sure I was mistaken to do that though). When I didn't find specifics on nairaland or quora or reddit (and generally on the Internet), I decided to read all transcripts in this particular thread from beginning till the end. The few transcripts from one-traveling parent and their F2 child(ren), and every other transcript including unsuccessful and proposed ones were very helpful in many different ways.

I'm indifferent to not sharing/not-sharing programs and schools in transcripts, everyone has a reason for not wanting to share theirs - I particularly don't like being bugged with questions that a simple googling and DIY can fix. But IMHO, sharing helps a lot in linking possible questions with program, cost of attendance, work/research experience, exams done, and CV record - a DYOR person would easily be able to put 2 and 2 together from your transcript.

One other issue that got me worried initially was the DS-160 question of "who's funding your trip." I picked "self." Apparently, it wasn't something to worry about. Also, I changed my current work on the form from my paid jobs to my volunteer (unpaid) research assistant job, just to avoid questions that I may not be able to answer clearly. I updated my profile four days before interview and went with the updated confirmation page only (since it was over 72 hours).

My wife and I practiced every kind of question regularly including slippery slope questions, and had my sister do a final interview for us using almost 70 questions (of cos, she had no idea whether our responses were good, but we know when they're not good). Every question we were asked was practiced - not one wasn't practiced. I feel like it's just good to prepare for every kind of question and have very specific and clear (not vague) responses to them all - you'll know if your responses are vague. Also, don't lie!

I'll rest. I'm deeply sorry this was long.

I wish every other person going for an interview (whether F1 or F2) all the best. God's favor!

Finally, I found the transcript of someone in my shoes. I am a Turkish Government scholar (I just completed my masters program in Statistics).

I got married to my Turkish wife this year and we are planning to go to embassy in Ankara Turkey and we hope we would be interviewed by the same VO at the same time like you and your wife. I got a funded admission for masters in Mathematics (Biostatistics concentration) program in Georgia State Univeristy Atlanta -Georgia with $57k COA and a deficit of $4360 (it should be a surplus of $150 if i didn't add my wife as dependent).

The problem is I have been denied twice in Nigeria for B1/B2 visa and twice in Turkey for B1/B2 visa and J1 exchange program (work and travel).

I don't know our stand now. I have since gotten travel history when i went France for a conference and i have also finished my masters here.

I am curious about my chances this time being that I am almost fully funded with graduate assistantship job as a Lab Assistant in the department with monthly stipend.

What do you think guys?

N/B:
Also as regards to hiding of school name and all, I think that by hiding school names the purpose of this page is being defeated. If we argue that people should do their homework and not depend on other people for school name then maybe this page should be closed because everything we get here can be gotten at the click of a button on Google.

I am a very open person and believe that no one knows it all. Can all the people that support the motion of hiding school name beat their chest here that they have not learnt one r two things from this page?

I am not against the hiding of school name for my own benefit ( I got more than the 10 US schools I applied to on my own), I am only saying it for some people that may not be like the few that knows how to get their information. This is because everyone is created differently.

I rest my case!
Peace!

7 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Gasperdelbuf: 6:18pm On Jul 09, 2021
sslooss:

You won't have to pay another MRV fee if you only booked one interview date so far and have not rescheduled. I was also in the same situation; I had booked emergency appointment in Lagos but received no response even after 2 weeks. I was able to switch to Abuja with the same MRV fee and still book for emergency appointment. We get two bookings with each MRV fee.
If the date for emergency interview Abuja comes out, will you still have the Chance to pick the date or will you have exhausted your lifeline?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by sslooss: 6:30pm On Jul 09, 2021
Pefuele:

Before you switched to Abuja did you cancel the emergency appointment in Lagos?

I just cancelled my regular appointment booking, I think that also automatically cancels my emergency appointment request in Lagos
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by ktancing(m): 6:41pm On Jul 09, 2021
Same school? I mean University of North Alabama?

kinzrael:
Yes, I am going to Alabama too this fall.

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Jesunikanloba: 6:42pm On Jul 09, 2021
Worry not. Just look straight into the eyes of the VO and be confident while talking about this. Let him/her understands that he is your uncle who is as a father figure to you. Mention his name and explain that he is the owner of the company and what he does. Explain why hes sponsoring you (the bond) and show that he's very capable. All the best bro. God's grace will speak for you.

jossyco:
(1) Please the account statement I got from my uncle is a company one, although it's his name that is the company name e.g. Thierry Henry Nig Ltd. Can I use this? Please i need a quick response, my interview is next week Tuesday,

(2) which hotels are not too expensive and close to the US embassy

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Pefuele(m): 6:53pm On Jul 09, 2021
sslooss:

I just cancelled my regular appointment booking, I think that also automatically cancels my emergency appointment request in Lagos

And you use the same MRV to book for Abuja after cancelling the regular appointment booking for Lagos?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by sslooss: 7:13pm On Jul 09, 2021
Pefuele:

And you use the same MRV to book for Abuja after cancelling the regular appointment booking for Lagos?

Yes, I did.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Gasperdelbuf: 7:55pm On Jul 09, 2021
Hello, Do they consider earliest admission date on your I-20 before granting you emergency interview ?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by JavanElsevier41: 8:05pm On Jul 09, 2021
Renashelly:
. Pls I need help.... how did u do it
I applied to weeks ago and I got approved yesterday
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by JavanElsevier41: 8:07pm On Jul 09, 2021
Renashelly:
gurus in the house, pls I need help. I sent them a mail concerning getting a closer date on Wednesday, and this morning I got a message from them but I dint see any date. Here is the d email I got
Dear Applicant,

Thank you for writing to the U.S. Visa Service Desk.

We understand that you want to have an earlier date to schedule an appointment.

Availability of slots is at the sole discretion of the US Embassy. You may log in to your profile and check the calendar for the first available appointment.

We hope this information is helpful to you.

Please visit https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/T3P3RXJ to share feedback on the services we provide.

Have a pleasant day!

Regards,
U.S. Visa Service Desk

Lagos embassy for you. They sent me this mail few days before Abuja approved my EA.

Thank God I didn't waste time waiting for Lagos
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Picricchem: 8:10pm On Jul 09, 2021
Did you get help on this? If not, reach out to me.

Gabby1234:
Please I need information on how to evaluate NECO results with world education service.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by JavanElsevier41: 8:10pm On Jul 09, 2021
Pklassic:
Pls inform them that you got It through the agent my sister introduced to you yet she was banned here for mentioning the agent but many people have gotten a date here through the agent.
After banning her, many of you still inbox her via her email asking for the contact of the agent yet you all called her a scammer

quote author=JavanElsevier41 post=103501541]My EA for the Abuja embassy has been approved. I have been scheduled for July 19.
It's not been easy sha.
Chai

Can you imagine. People Sha. I have even referred people on this platform to her and she has been able to help them. Yet they call her scam.. it is well sha. For those asking how I did it, it was this same lady in question that helped me.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by JavanElsevier41: 8:11pm On Jul 09, 2021
blesziano:
I have applied for an emergency visa appointment at the Lagos embassy for over 10 working days and I am yet to get feedback. Any assistance on what I can do to expedite the feedback.

You are on a long thing o
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by HushTee(m): 8:25pm On Jul 09, 2021
You wil definitely be interviewed by the same VO because you'll move through the queues together as a family.

I think that if you have other sources of funds to cover the deficit (the source stated on your i20), just go with the evidence (bank statement), and prepare good answers, you should be fine.

tonero4urch:

Finally, I found the transcript of someone in my shoes. I am a Turkish Government scholar (I just completed my masters program in Statistics).

I got married to my Turkish wife this year and we are planning to go to embassy in Ankara Turkey and we hope we would be interviewed by the same VO at the same time like you and your wife. I got a funded admission for masters in Mathematics (Biostatistics concentration) program in Georgia State Univeristy Atlanta -Georgia with $57k COA and a deficit of $4360 (it should be a surplus of $150 if i didn't add my wife as dependent).

The problem is I have been denied twice in Nigeria for B1/B2 visa and twice in Turkey for B1/B2 visa and J1 exchange program (work and travel).

I don't know our stand now. I have since gotten travel history when i went France for a conference and i have also finished my masters here.

I am curious about my chances this time being that I am almost fully funded with graduate assistantship job as a Lab Assistant in the department with monthly stipend.

What do you think guys?

N/B:
Also as regards to hiding of school name and all, I think that by hiding school names the purpose of this page is being defeated. If we argue that people should do their homework and not depend on other people for school name then maybe this page should be closed because everything we get here can be gotten at the click of a button on Google.

I am a very open person and believe that no one knows it all. Can all the people that support the motion of hiding school name beat their chest here that they have not learnt one r two things from this page?

I am not against the hiding of school name for my own benefit ( I got more than the 10 US schools I applied to on my own), I am only saying it for some people that may not be like the few that knows how to get their information. This is because everyone is created differently.

I rest my case!
Peace!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Ikenna04: 8:39pm On Jul 09, 2021
Hello guys,
I've booked my interview for Lagos a month ago but its after my resumption date and I applied for emergency no reply yet. So I would like to know how to change my interview to abuja with the same MRV payment I made for Lagos.

Please contact me on WhatsApp 09029016535 or email me @ ikennaokenwa2004@gmail.com
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Duisburg: 9:50pm On Jul 09, 2021
Hello guys.

I have 3.41/5.0

Which school can give me admission with full funding for spring 2022.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by BENSU: 9:52pm On Jul 09, 2021
I don't understand why everyone now wants emergency appointment.
what's wrong with regular appointment?
why the rush to another man's country?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Stella03: 9:57pm On Jul 09, 2021
Prexy1999:
Good day guys, is there anyone coming to Michigan this fall? If you’re coming you can reach out to me

Yeah, Detroit, precisely,what about you?

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by OlawumiCecilia: 10:09pm On Jul 09, 2021
You would fill different ds160 for each. Only a sevis fee is paid. For the sponsorship, the main applicant (student) may put in school while dependents put self

Emerald1529:
Good afternoon guys.

Please for those that applied together for F1 and F2 together, please did you fill separate DS-160 forms?

Also, does the sevis fee cover both F1 and & F2 or will each dependent pay a seperate sevis fee?

Lastly, if you are funded, who do you put as sponsor? Yourself or the school, bearing in mind the funding only covers the student.

Thank you in advance for responding

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by tonero4urch(m): 10:11pm On Jul 09, 2021
HushTee:
You wil definitely be interviewed by the same VO because you'll move through the queues together as a family.

I think that if you have other sources of funds to cover the deficit (the source stated on your i20), just go with the evidence (bank statement), and prepare good answers, you should be fine.

As for the deficit I have a cousin doing his phd ( fully funded) in Vanderbilt University in Tennessee who is covering it. Also my Turkish wife inherited a house from her late father which we have sold. We have all the account statements.
Thank you for your reply.
Peace!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by ThePianoGuy: 10:27pm On Jul 09, 2021
tonero4urch:

What do you think guys?

N/B:

I rest my case!
Peace!
this time should be different. You will get the visa
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by psychologyshuby: 10:38pm On Jul 09, 2021
Hello guys, Please can anyone recommend schools admitting for Spring 2022.
Bsc Public Administration 3.37/5
GRE Q-164 V-155 AWA-4
Proposed course Industrial and Organizational Psychology.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by tonero4urch(m): 10:52pm On Jul 09, 2021
ThePianoGuy:
this time should be different. You will get the visa

Amen oooo
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by ebbie9ja(m): 11:09pm On Jul 09, 2021
Hello Everyone,

I just got GA offer today. I requested for I-20 reflecting the funding and I have gotten the electronic copy. My school will resume on August 2nd. Is there any hope of getting an expedited appointment to meet up with the timeline?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Pefuele(m): 11:56pm On Jul 09, 2021
psychologyshuby:
Hello guys, Please can anyone recommend schools admitting for Spring 2022.
Bsc Public Administration 3.37/5
GRE Q-164 V-155 AWA-4
Proposed course Industrial and Organizational Psychology.

If you can do TOEFL/ Duolingo try apply to Southern Illinois University Carbondale they fund someone with similar profile in psychology. I believe someone posted an approved transcripts from Mississippi State University doing psychology I think very few days back. Try confirm. Check the school. Also, check Georgia State University. Best!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by jpseason: 11:58pm On Jul 09, 2021
I’ve asked a question theee times , nobody even replied me.
Cus of that , it created a butterfly effect with me and I’m asking this different question now, a friend is graduating next month or so, if he invites me from USA , what are my chances ?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Pefuele(m): 11:58pm On Jul 09, 2021
Duisburg:
Hello guys.

I have 3.41/5.0

Which school can give me admission with full funding for spring 2022.

No course? Do you have a WES evaluation? Any standardized test?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Pefuele(m): 12:00am On Jul 10, 2021
jpseason:
I’ve asked a question theee times , nobody even replied me.
Cus of that , it created a butterfly effect with me and I’m asking this different question now, a friend is graduating next month or so, if he invites me from USA , what are my chances ?

Sorry. Studying (F1 )VISA is discussed here.

(1) (2) (3) ... (330) (331) (332) (333) (334) (335) (336) ... (1004)

General South Africa Visa Enquiries / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.