Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,218 members, 7,818,755 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:29 AM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 - Travel (523) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 (1646518 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (520) (521) (522) (523) (524) (525) (526) ... (1004) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by beejhay69: 3:37pm On Oct 14, 2021
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Duisburg: 4:23pm On Oct 14, 2021
kaey10:
Guys if ur school is resuming January, you can request for EA. I requested for EA yesterday and it has been approved this afternoon my new date is now on the 26th of this month
Paid sevis fee?

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Lilbaby23: 4:31pm On Oct 14, 2021
Wow. Lucky you. I was denied EA on Monday… reapplied today again and was denied an hour ago. Can’t even see the Emergency Request on my wall again. It is well
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Nozino: 5:16pm On Oct 14, 2021
Can anyone please help me with sample(s) of statement of purpose especially one in Engineering?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by kaey10(m): 5:34pm On Oct 14, 2021
Duisburg:

Paid sevis fee?
YES I HAVE
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Tianah222: 5:42pm On Oct 14, 2021
obajoey:
So I finally got a positive admission decision from WIU. Oluwa o se
Pls I'll like to find out how you did your bank letter. And also what you send as your sponsor's identity
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Babnxst93: 5:45pm On Oct 14, 2021
Anyone heard from Austin Peay State University for spring admission

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Bim19: 6:37pm On Oct 14, 2021
Please did you apply for lagos or abuja?

quote author=Lilbaby23 post=106734990]Wow. Lucky you. I was denied EA on Monday… reapplied today again and was denied an hour ago. Can’t even see the Emergency Request on my wall again. It is well[/quote]
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Lilbaby23: 6:50pm On Oct 14, 2021
[quote author=Bim19 post=106738043]Please did you apply for lagos or abuja?

Abuja
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by obajoey(m): 7:38pm On Oct 14, 2021
Tianah222:

Pls I'll like to find out how you did your bank letter. And also what you send as your sponsor's identity

They just started that new rule oo.

Looking elsewhere jare
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by khemmy1: 8:18pm On Oct 14, 2021
Nil
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by BoluwajiPieters: 8:36pm On Oct 14, 2021
Good evening everyone. I've read through the last three parts of this thread and I've tried to, as much as humanly possible, absorb information through note taking and all... I've a couple of questions for the house as I'm still in the "documents gathering" and aiming to start applying to schools as from next year after taking GRE and TOEFL.

1. If one gets a fully funded GA/RA position with monthly stipends, will one still be required to present POF to the VO during visa application?

2. I've read about family ties causing denials. What's strong enough as family ties in Nigeria and what's too weak (that can precipitate rejection?)

3. I noticed the whole process requires patience, perseverance and perfection (to an extent) but, can anyone outline general measures to take while applying?

4. About looking for potential supervisors, can a hefty LinkedIn profile play a part? Also, can anyone help out with if VOs do background checks Viz: social media platforms and all before interviews?

I know these questions must have been asked before but maybe I skippee it while reading through the thread but I'd really appreciate responses or if anyone have saved links to where the questions have been answered. Thank you!

For now, still looking out for schools offering the course I want; pharmaceutical sciences or Pharmacology and applied therapeutics as I've a Bachelor of Pharmacy degree with a relatively good grade (4.2/5).

Merci beaucoup.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Rutim: 10:31pm On Oct 14, 2021
Hello everyone. I'm new to this route and I'm still in the phase of gathering information. I'll really appreciate it if I get the help i need. I have some questions to ask:
1. I have a degree in biology and biotechnology but I intend to apply for a masters program in nursing in the US. I heard it won't work. Is it true?

2. I'll like to apply for a nice university with high acceptance rate and affordable tuition fees in Texas, Dallas. If anyone has a link to a university there I'll appreciate.
3.Do i have to pay full tuition fees before applying for visa?
4. What are the documents required to apply for admission?
5. I might have issues with my POF. Is there a reliable link here?

Let me stop here for now. Please, I'll appreciate a response to any of the questions. Thanks.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by BARISTAMandela(m): 11:15pm On Oct 14, 2021
Visa Interview Transcript:
School: Pennsylvania State University
COA: 74k
Scholarship: 38k
Deficit: 36k
Attempt: 2nd attempt (1st attempt was in 2019)
Status VISA APPROVED

V.O: Good morning

Me: Good morning, how is work?

VO: Fine thank you. (With a little surprise stare)
Pass me your I20

Me: Pls have it. (Placed my hands for biometric)

V.O: What are you going to do at Pennstate University

Me: I'm going for my Master of laws program in Public International law under the foreign lawyers program since my practice jurisdiction is not within the States (I said this cos my I20 says LLM - foreign lawyers program, so I used it to my advantage)

V.O: Where do you currently work?

Me: I run my own law firm ****LLP alongside my partner counsel **** Bruno Tobi. He will be in charge while I go for my studies, I also run a non-for-profit the Center for ****** on the side.

V.O: How many staff do have there?

Me: We have 2 associates, one intern and 2 office assistants.

V. O: What are you going to do when you return from this program?

Me: I will return to my position as the managing partner of our firm *****LLP and also see to the launching of our mediation center under the auspices of the Center for ******.

V.O: I can see you have scholarship of 38k, so who will be paying for your deficit?

Me: My elder sister Claire will paying for my deficit.

V.O: I see, (she muttered while holding on to my i20 and passport probably looking to confirm a few details.
okay sir, (after typing for few seconds)
I will be approving your visa (there came the white � �️ sweet sheet.)�

Me: Thank you and have a nice day (meanwhile I remained there pretending to be listening to those routine advice)

*FINIS*

*Personal tip:*
Start early, don't be in a haste else you blur your chances. (I took me 3 solid years) prepare well, fast and pray, as a Catholic I had to do some long novenas, avoided all the daughter's of eve that came calling to come to my house and massage me grin

Secondly, guys grace works, but you have to do the work especially your DS160 form (make sure infos rhyme with your previous interview forms), take your time and fill it well. But above all pray, fast and fervently ask for uncommon favour and grace.

While at the US embassy, I noticed that all the embassy staff including the V.O were extremely kind and polite towards me, unlike in my first interview. I went to this interview more spiritually prepared than ever. Only God saw me true. Jesus Christ owes all the credit.

Thanks you all for everything. I can’t thank Fairheart and everyone on NL that has contributed positively enough for all the love and support.

DON'T EVER EVER GIVE UP.

God bless you all��

38 Likes 6 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Nozino: 11:43pm On Oct 14, 2021
BARISTAMandela:
Status VISA APPROVED

Pass me your I20

Me: I'm going for my Master of laws program in Public International law under the foreign lawyers program since my practice jurisdiction is not within the States (I said this cos my I20 says LLM - foreign lawyers program, so I used it to my advantage)

Me: I run my own law firm ****LLP alongside my partner counsel **** Bruno Tobi. He will be in charge while I go for my studies, I also run a non-for-profit the Center for ****** on the side.

Me: I will return to my position as the managing partner of our firm *****LLP and also see to the launching of our mediation center under the auspices of the Center for ******.

V.O: I can see you have scholarship of 38k, so who will be paying for your deficit?

V.O: I see, (she muttered while holding on to my i20 and passport probably looking to confirm a few details.

Me: Thank you and have a nice day (meanwhile I remained there pretending to be listening to those routine advice)

*FINIS*

Start early, don't be in a haste else you blur your chances. (I took me 3 solid years) prepare well, fast and pray, as a Catholic I had to do some long novenas, avoided all the daughter's of eve that came calling to come to my house and massage me grin

Secondly, guys grace works, but you have to do the work especially your DS160 form (make sure infos rhyme with your previous interview forms), take your time and fill it well. But above all pray, fast and fervently ask for uncommon favour and grace.

While at the US embassy, I noticed that all the embassy staff including the V.O were extremely kind and polite towards me, unlike in my first interview. I went to this interview more spiritually prepared than ever. Only God saw me true. Jesus Christ owes all the credit.

Thanks you all for everything. I can’t thank Fairheart and everyone on NL that has contributed positively enough for all the love and support.

DON'T EVER EVER GIVE UP.

God bless you all��

Congratulations
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by AbduljabarAjoke(f): 11:56pm On Oct 14, 2021
BARISTAMandela:
Status VISA APPROVED

Congratulations

Pass me your I20

*FINIS*

DON'T EVER EVER GIVE UP.

God bless you all��
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Oofay: 11:58pm On Oct 14, 2021
Learned Colleague �
Congratulations!
This interview was smooth and one of the simplest I've come across.
This is Grace indeed and I tap into this.

BARISTAMandela:
Status VISA APPROVED

Pass me your I20

*FINIS*

DON'T EVER EVER GIVE UP.

God bless you all��

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Judgepelumi(m): 3:09am On Oct 15, 2021
How much did you put on your ds form as your monthly income? that could be the reason
megbaba:
The course is Masters in law.
And the place of interview was in Abuja.
I work as a legal officer at the local government. I have a B.A in philosophy Akungba. And also an LLB in law Ife. So I applied for LLM.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by edochima: 6:01am On Oct 15, 2021
Please does it mean that one cannot get an EA at Lagos,why going to Abuja for a Visa interview, whereas there is Lagos one can still use?

Please how can one pay for a SEVIS Fee please help a friend that is need?

Thank you.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by beejhay69: 6:04am On Oct 15, 2021
edochima:

Thank you.
PM
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Jonjohnson: 6:51am On Oct 15, 2021
Alexanderfrost:
Status: Visa Approved. Lagos on Tuesday, 28th of September.

Please find below the transcript I prepared Tuesday Night.

So this might be a tardy long read but please allow me to let out how this whole journey started.

First thought about traveling out for Master's in 2017. I actually applied to two universities. Yeshiva University, Newyork where I got a 5k scholarship. I applied to University of Maryland, and surprisingly I was also admitted. So two offers and I really didn't know what to do with it. 2017 was a very dark year and I was really going through it. Mentally drained and emotionally wrecked (not heartbreak). It's only the love of the few who actually cared that kept me going. Ended up not taking the offers. I resumed working and pushed career forward.

In the same 2017, I literally read the *General Student Visa* thread on Nairaland from part 1 to the the latest as at that time. I was consuming information I probably didn't have an urgent need for but they ended up been useful, one way or the other. As of today, I doubt there's any thread created for USA student visa on Nairaland I haven't consumed. Information is power, innit?

Applied to WIU last December. Of course, application fee was waived and the process was near seamless. I got admitted April but somehow, couldn't sort out Financial Statement up until late June. By the time i-20 came and I applied for Visa, the earliest date I got was Sept 28. I applied for expedite date and it was rejected late July. Days before then, I'd give up on going by fall and requested that WIU send me an offer letter and i-20 for spring. Two days after, they did!

While waiting for today's interview, I spent the days leading to today researching, attending virtual sessions and applying to other school's spring and fall '22 program. Person gats get plan B, right?

So today I went for the interview.

Alloted Interview Time: 10:30am

Got to the Embassy: 6:15am

Interviewed around 8am.

Five VO's were on seat. One caucasian guy, one slim black guy, one black woman and two caucasian women.

I was interviewed by the slim black guy. By the time the other guy was done with three candidates, black slim guy was still drilling the man in front of him. By the time it got to my turn, man beckoned on me to come.

VO: Good Morning

ME: Good Morning

VO: How're you today?

ME: I'm very well, thank you.

VO: First time going to the states?

ME: Yes please

VO: What's your undergraduate background?

ME: Economics

VO: Picks up my i-20 and asked me bluntly, Is this the original copy of your i-20 or what?
I said it's the original I printed. Man became visibly angry, picks the i-20 and brandish it in my face, across the divider and asked, 'Does this look like an original to you?'

In my mind, I was like so nah because of i-20 them go deny me visa? Thing is, I'd printed it myself using the office printer and it's in plain black and white. I honestly didn't know if he wanted it in colour or what his issues were, lol. So I asked him, do you want me to go and print it in colours and bring it to you?

He waived it aside and then continued.

VO: Who's your sponsor?

ME: I have a merit based scholarship and my uncle will be covering the balance.

VO: stares at me, so I continued

ME: He owns an Agribusiness and exports major cash crops like Cocoa, Cashew, etc.

VO: What's his monthly income?

ME: 5-10 Million.

He said why am I giving him an estimated amount. I said Shey he knows cash crops are seasonal and income flow can't be fixed for all months. At the end, I told him 10 millions.

VO: How many employee does he have.

ME: Over 100.

VO: I don't want estimates. You keep giving me estimates, he raged in his somewhat East African Americanised accent.

ME: I told him 108. Cause he be like say this guy really wants 'facts and figures'.

VO: How many tractors does he have?

ME: 2

VO: How many hectares of land does he farm?

ME: 25

VO: Do you have his statement here.

I passed it to him and he spent like two, three minutes on it. Checking pages, after pages. When he's done, he asked me why I didn't print earlier months. At this point, I was getting 'angry' too and I told him what he's holding starts from February and ends August. That's 7 months. He said okay.

So in all these, I wasn't certain which direction the interview was going. I felt like he's taken the questions from the rear and was hoping he'd ask me questions I could possibly express my self well.

I just hoped 'Jesus takes the Wheel' and I can shine soon after.

Then he asked me.

VO: Okay, so what's Econometrics.

It's at this point I knew my prayer was answered.

ME: I spoke to the truth of Econometrics and I added Quantitative Economics to it. I finished my bullets here.

He nodded. I told myself, 'now we're in play'!

VO: So what will this degree do for you?

ME: In the short term, when I return to Nigeria, I'll be taking up the role of portfolio manager where I work presently. In the medium term, I'd love to work with CBN and this degree will make that goal achievable. In the long term, I'd love to set up my own consulting firm. The Industry knowledge I've gathered all these years, couple with this degree will make it attainable.

He was staring at me here. So I removed my glasses, folded it, dropped it and looked him eyes to eyes. Then I was spitting.

He then asked how long I'll be staying in the state and told him January 13, 2021 to Dec 15, 2023.

He then brought out white paper and started writing on it.

Then slid my passport back to me. I didn't even know what's going on.

Then he said something about me still having to send the original i-20 to him. I said I'll send today. He said I can chill till when they'll call me.

So bottomline, he said they're not issuing spring visa for now because spring is still far away . They'll call me when my visa is ready and I'll take my passport to DHL. I'm not returning to the consulate.

He gave me my passport, gave me the white paper and I left smiling like a fresh lamp.

For all the years I've been readying myself, reading transcripts and preparing myself for today, nothing I've read was ENOUGH to see me through what I went though today. He's angry with me. And then he still gave me the visa.

Isn't that God's Grace?

I sincerely wish those who're on this journey or about to start the very best.

Love and Light.

Bro. How can I contact you please, I plan apply to the same school and course also

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Walspring: 6:52am On Oct 15, 2021
To everyone that sent pm or message,I have replied since the day you sent it, Kindly check your email spam or junk if you didn’t see it in your inbox.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by NigPatriot(m): 10:54am On Oct 15, 2021
BoluwajiPieters:
Good evening everyone. I've read through the last three parts of this thread and I've tried to, as much as humanly possible, absorb information through note taking and all... I've a couple of questions for the house as I'm still in the "documents gathering" and aiming to start applying to schools as from next year after taking GRE and TOEFL.

1. If one gets a fully funded GA/RA position with monthly stipends, will one still be required to present POF to the VO during visa application?

2. I've read about family ties causing denials. What's strong enough as family ties in Nigeria and what's too weak (that can precipitate rejection?)

3. I noticed the whole process requires patience, perseverance and perfection (to an extent) but, can anyone outline general measures to take while applying?

4. About looking for potential supervisors, can a hefty LinkedIn profile play a part? Also, can anyone help out with if VOs do background checks Viz: social media platforms and all before interviews?

I know these questions must have been asked before but maybe I skippee it while reading through the thread but I'd really appreciate responses or if anyone have saved links to where the questions have been answered. Thank you!

For now, still looking out for schools offering the course I want; pharmaceutical sciences or Pharmacology and applied therapeutics as I've a Bachelor of Pharmacy degree with a relatively good grade (4.2/5).

Merci beaucoup.

I'll try to answer to the best of my knowledge.

1.proof of funds is only required when you have deficits.

2. See ties as your attachment to a country i.e what are the things that would always make you return to your home country. Could be properties, wife, children, good job, investments. I like to see it as there are no weak ties, your tie is either strong to or away from your home country

3. Measures to take while applying, this differs for individual application but generally just prepare. Sometimes the interview might not go how you want it to, but if you're prepared you won't be taken by surprise. Ensure you fill DS160 by yourself, crosscheck to prevent any discrepancy, don't take the visa as a do or die affair (visas are never supposed to be this hard, just the state of our nation that led to this scrutiny ). You might not get on your first trial but if you really want it, don't give up.

4. You can find supervisor anywhere. Notably use Google scholar to view their current research work. The use the sci-hub website to freely download any of their papers and read up. Then you can send a mail (from the faculty page of the school, their email addresses are there). To be safe, any social media handle you're putting up on your DS 160 make it pristine and free from anything that could implicate you. They actually do check handles most times.

You plan to apply as from next year. But for fall 2022 some good schools have deadline of December 15th (considered for funding). So it's always best you plan towards your cohort early - writing your standardized exams prior to the application. But then never say never.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Lovelypam: 10:55am On Oct 15, 2021
Congrats dear. I graduated from penn state and it is indeed a lovely school. Important tip: Get a lot of jackets as it is so cold there. Infact it will be snowing when you resume in January.

BARISTAMandela:
Status VISA APPROVED

Pass me your I20

*FINIS*

DON'T EVER EVER GIVE UP.

God bless you all��
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by BoluwajiPieters: 11:43am On Oct 15, 2021
NigPatriot:

I'll try to answer to the best of my knowledge.

1.proof of funds is only required when you have deficits.

2. See ties as your attachment to a country i.e what are the things that would always make you return to your home country. Could be properties, wife, children, good job, investments. I like to see it as there are no weak ties, your tie is either strong to or away from your home country

3. Measures to take while applying, this differs for individual application but generally just prepare. Sometimes the interview might not go how you want it to, but if you're prepared you won't be taken by surprise. Ensure you fill DS160 by yourself, crosscheck to prevent any discrepancy, don't take the visa as a do or die affair (visas are never supposed to be this hard, just the state of our nation that led to this scrutiny ). You might not get on your first trial but if you really want it, don't give up.

4. You can find supervisor anywhere. Notably use Google scholar to view their current research work. The use the sci-hub website to freely download any of their papers and read up. Then you can send a mail (from the faculty page of the school, their email addresses are there). To be safe, any social media handle you're putting up on your DS 160 make it pristine and free from anything that could implicate you. They actually do check handles most times.

You plan to apply as from next year. But for fall 2022 some good schools have deadline of December 15th (considered for funding). So it's always best you plan towards your cohort early - writing your standardized exams prior to the application. But then never say never.

Thank you very much for this response! I really appreciate.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by queenette209(f): 12:30pm On Oct 15, 2021
obajoey:

They just started that new rule oo.

Looking elsewhere jare
for wiu , they should send you an affidavit form which require your sponsors name , relationship with you and signature, and you will do same.

Then a bank statement. Thats all i sent tho.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Rawly111: 12:49pm On Oct 15, 2021
Please which is the best to choose as I've been denied recently.. Someone told me I should still choose regular

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by ObodoNaija(f): 2:19pm On Oct 15, 2021
Femotech123:

Sorry for your denial my bro.
But your transcript you posted isn’t well detailed enough, what is your course of study , is it a bachelor or masters and also maybe your work did not correspond with the course you wonna study and indicate if it’s LAG or ABJ.. so that gurus in the house can make comments . But for me is either your sponsor you don’t specify the exactly business he do at least one or two job is ok not he is this he his that and that... shy you grab or the work you do presently didn’t go with the course you wonna study... best luck next time reapply and prepare well again my brother 100 for you

There is nothing wrong with his transcript. He posted based on what he was asked. I was also denied today by the Korean guy, and this was the exact question he asked me. I even have full funding. My own is a fully funded program. He said he can see that I have a scholarship, I wanted to explain to him that it is not scholarship but full funding, he just did not listen.

Virtually everybody that he interviewed today was same question. He will first ask if you have travelled out before, once you say no, the next questions na just for formality sake.

I dont know why the other lady was not on sit today.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by ObodoNaija(f): 2:24pm On Oct 15, 2021
BARISTAMandela:
Status VISA APPROVED

Pass me your I20

*FINIS*

DON'T EVER EVER GIVE UP.

God bless you all��

Congratulations bro. Was your interview today?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by godguy: 2:45pm On Oct 15, 2021
ObodoNaija:

There is nothing wrong with his transcript. He posted based on what he was asked. I was also denied today by the Korean guy, and this was the exact question he asked me. I even have full funding. My own is a fully funded program. He said he can see that I have a scholarship, I wanted to explain to him that it is not scholarship but full funding, he just did not listen.

Virtually everybody that he interviewed today was same question. He will first ask if you have travelled out before, once you say no, the next questions na just for formality sake.

I dont know why the other lady was not on sit today.

Sorry about that.
What is in your i20? scholarship or Graduate Assistantship?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by obajoey(m): 2:48pm On Oct 15, 2021
queenette209:
for wiu , they should send you an affidavit form which require your sponsors name , relationship with you and signature, and you will do same.

Then a bank statement. Thats all i sent tho.

It has changed..
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Nobody: 3:25pm On Oct 15, 2021
Does this really matter?
I studied business administration in undergraduate
Worked as a marketer for a multinational
Applied for MBA - I didn’t get the visa
After awhile, I had a change in interest and i applied for social work - I got the visa.
Career switch isn’t strange to visa officers as long as you can clarify your why when asked
Duisburg:

Your course of study, does it have anything to do with litigation officer?

And how do you get near interview date?

(1) (2) (3) ... (520) (521) (522) (523) (524) (525) (526) ... (1004)

General South Africa Visa Enquiries / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.