Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,996 members, 7,814,394 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:14 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 - Travel (619) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 (1641922 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (616) (617) (618) (619) (620) (621) (622) ... (1004) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Nobody: 12:47pm On Dec 02, 2021
Ogunyomi007:
I got my visa approved yesterday at Lagos Embassy.

Transcript was so short

VO: Good Afternoon
Me: Good afternoon sir
VO: Where are you going
Me: I am going to the US for my bachelors degree in Bioengineering and Biomedical engineering.
VO: why this course ?
Me: bioengineering and biomedical engineering improves human health by applying engineering to medical problems
VO: who is sponsoring you?
Me: my parent
VO: what do they do?
Me: my father is a civil engineer and also in real estate management and mom a medical consultant for xzy and she also owns a lab.
VO: oh I see a family of engineering.
VO: did you know about Ohio weather. How will you cope with that ?
Me: I am already preparing for that sir.
VO: I see you are too young for this course and he gave me the white paper.

Mehn Pray and have faith.
I thank everyone here.
I was the second to the last person inside the room.

Congrats bro. Sorry, if I may ask, how old are you?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Osof: 12:50pm On Dec 02, 2021
Help with any information please. I am in this shoe also.
Dunzg:
Please guys my initial appointment is in Abuja but I got approved for Lagos surge…is there anything I need to add or change especially in my ds-160?
My profile still shows Abuja as my location..
I hope this surge thing isn’t scam

Please reply guys
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by MiamiePizza(m): 12:53pm On Dec 02, 2021
Oluh:

I’m awaiting my I-20 form from Missouri S&t too with. They haven’t sent it yet make person process interview. It’s tiring, can we talk better on phone or email pls
OK fine. Feel free to send an email. I'll reply with my WhatsApp number
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by mojolajesu(m): 12:59pm On Dec 02, 2021
Please is there anybody who got the Abuja Surge recently using the Abujaconsular email?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by MiamiePizza(m): 12:59pm On Dec 02, 2021
dydx2020:

How about obtaining I-20 form. Can I email them that I will send it later ? Will I get my I-20. ,?
When its time to send you your i-20 you'll surely get it from them. If they need anything from you, they'll send you an email. Its a very simple school. One of my cousin got a fully funded scholarship, another got half funding. Even the COA is very cheap. No be wahala school, just chill and whatever you no understand send them an email, they even reply weekends.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Mascotyl: 12:59pm On Dec 02, 2021
Good afternoon house, have scheduled an appointment to be Jan 31,2022 at Abuja embassy but my school resumes on Jan 10 . Also, have applied for EA but my request was denied .So please guys how do I apply for Lagos Surge ? . Do I need to fill another DS-160 for Lagos cause my current DS -160 location is Abuja. Pls,guys how do I get closer date .
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Boonducks101: 1:07pm On Dec 02, 2021
Good Afternoon,

Apologies for the delay. I'm not sure I'm in the best position to offer an advice since I'm still relatively learning from here as I haven't gone for my interview yet. However I'd like to point the very obvious here.

When asked that question, your responses should have been focused more on your research. I'm sure one of the professors in your school was interested in it, hence the reason you got the funding in the very first place. You should have channelled your answer towards that direction. You worked for it, you should have explained it that way. For ph.D students, it really isn't about your grades. while it might have been an underlining factor but someone surely was interested in your research, hence you got the full funding. I hope you get more people to respond to this, to be able to guide you.

eminence5000:
Visa denied today
Lagos Embassy
Tuition expenses: $56000
Funding : $57,000
Deficit: No deficit
School: George Washington University

VO: Good morning
Me: Good morning
VO: I can see you are going for your doctorate degree, how did you get this huge scholarship?
Me: I believe the admission committee were impressed with my academic profile which includes my academic transcripts, excellent gre score of 332, Quantitative 169, Verbal 163 and analytical writing 5.0. Good lettee of recommendations and my statement of purpose.

VO: very good. Sorry i cant approve your visa at this time.gives me blue paper.

Pls I am trying to reapply for the visa. Can i be approved for the surge emergency appointment at abuja embassy. Since i already applied for Surge in lagos embassy. I need your suggestions as how to go about getting a new visa appointment. My resumltion date is jan 18. Thank you.

7 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by zanyt: 1:11pm On Dec 02, 2021
Congratulations!!!!

Please was your interview a SURGE appointment?

Transcript was so short

Me: I am going to the US for my bachelors degree in Bioengineering and Biomedical engineering.
Me: bioengineering and biomedical engineering improves human health by applying engineering to medical problems
Me: my father is a civil engineer and also in real estate management and mom a medical consultant for xzy and she also owns a lab.

I thank everyone here.
[/quote]
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Systrom(m): 1:12pm On Dec 02, 2021
Ogunyomi007:

Transcript was so short

I thank everyone here.
You got your visa because you are young, your parents are sponsoring you, your profile seems like that of an actual young student going for school and not someone trying to runaway

Congrats tho

15 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by tmann626(m): 1:14pm On Dec 02, 2021
Osof:
Help with any information please. I am in this shoe also.
You guys should go ahead with the surge days. I wish you all the best
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Systrom(m): 1:33pm On Dec 02, 2021
Janet200:
This Lagos embassy people no go make heaven. They just pack people today just to issue rejections. This journey man need to gat be strong, for those that were denied today, don’t blame yourself for anything, you did your best.
Factos! Don’t blame yourself

By the way, it’s not only Lagos. Abuja Embassy has joined in the denial madness

It seems the US department of state had a resolution to make visa approvals harder for Nigerians

A colleague of mine going for PHD. Had a full scholarship and spoke so well, but they denied him in Nov

The man has not recovered yet. So painful
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by dydx2020(m): 1:37pm On Dec 02, 2021
MiamiePizza:

When its time to send you your i-20 you'll surely get it from them. If they need anything from you, they'll send you an email. Its a very simple school. One of my cousin got a fully funded scholarship, another got half funding. Even the COA is very cheap. No be wahala school, just chill and whatever you no understand send them an email, they even reply weekends.

I'm asking a general question. I've been offered admission into MCU for MBA Spring 2022. Please, respond please.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by AydotNX: 1:54pm On Dec 02, 2021
KeriBaby:
Hello Good morning, I have an offer from them and they’re supposed to send me my I-20 form today, I’d like to know what their tuition deposit is and how’s life in Michigan. If you don’t mind I sent you a PM
I got it. Life and tuition are friendly. Very cold now. 45 minutes away from Canada.
Most importantly get your VISA approve. Make appointment on time to get good date. Are you coming for Winter(Jan) or Fall (August)?
Best of luck.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by HDwayne: 2:04pm On Dec 02, 2021
Visa denied in Lagos Dec 1.

COA: 20k
No funding
MBA: Finance mgt and Investment
Widow 1: A male vo, looks like he’s in his mid 30’s

Vo; Why this school ?
Me; I did some extensive research on schools that offer MBA program in the USA with the best details course outline and I must say that LU curriculum align with my career goals and objectives. The school is known for producing world class managerial alumni. Lu has a student faculty ratio of 16:1 which enable students to have access to a pool of qualified professors, this help students get the support they need to achieve academic excellence. The tuition is also affordable, it’s inline with my dad’s budget for my studies.

Vo;How did you hear about this school?
Me: it was recommended by a prof from the uni i graduated from and I also carried out some research.

Vo; what’s your undergraduate degree?
Me; Bsc Bus-admin

Vo; where do you work ?
Me: I work at xxxxxx as a sales and account officer.

Vo; How long have you been working ?
Me; 4yrs

Vo; why do you choose to go for an MBA now ?
Me; for my career progression and I currently work in a competitive organization, for anyone to get promotion you’d need an added education qualification.

Vo; Why a university in the USA ?
Me; It’s a known fact that a degree in the USA is well respected and highly ranked.

Vo; who’s paying for this ?
Me; My dad, he has a logistic company, he sells automobiles he also has farms and feed mill industry.

Vo; have you ever traveled out of Nigeria?
Me; not in the last 5yrs, but I have been to Benin Rep where I got my first degree.

Vo; types for some seconds, then he said I don’t think you’re eligible right now, passes the blue paper.

Truth me told, I was nervous all through the process.

Pls, aside the fact that I was nervous is there anything wrong with my transcript ?. I want to reapply, how do I go about it ? My program start on the 19th of January.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Waskylala: 2:04pm On Dec 02, 2021
[quote author=dydx2020 post=108146519]

I'm asking a general question. I've been offered admission into MCU for MBA Spring 2022. Please, respond please.[/quote

You can make it
The earlier you get your I-20, pay your Sevis fee and fill your DS-160. You can apply for surge interview.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by MiamiePizza(m): 2:07pm On Dec 02, 2021
dydx2020:

I'm asking a general question. I've been offered admission into MCU for MBA Spring 2022. Please, respond please.
Sorry I did not know it was a general question. For how long have you been given admission? This delays happens sometimes. If you are tired of waiting you can always send an email to the school requesting your i-20
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by HDwayne: 2:10pm On Dec 02, 2021
Okay. Can you text me pls? I need to ask you something. 08026899178. Thanks
ObaOfEsan:

No. I didn't
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by sourkandi: 2:22pm On Dec 02, 2021
Hi guys!
So I had my interview on Monday at Abuja, time slot was 9:15 but after all the processes and screening I had to go through, I was interviewed around 10:30.
VO was a handsome young man in his early 30s, slim, tall, blond hair, blue eyes.
Me:Good morning
VO:Good morning. So we are going to begin with you placing your fingers on the fingerprint scanner.
(Scanned my fingers and the real deal started)
VO: Pass me your documents
Me:Passes them
VO:Have you ever travelled out of Nigeria before?
Me:No I haven't
VO: When did you finish your SSCE?
Me:The November of 2020
VO:What have you been doing since then?
Me: I started learning new languages because I believe communication is important.
VO: Okay, name one of them
Mesadsmiling underneath my mask) Korean
VO: (smiling) why?
Me: (laughing) Because I really like K-dramas
VOsadsmiles) okay, so why Marymount University?
Me:Okay, Marymount is a small school with big ideas, apart from their excellent biochemistry program, the school is a small school which for me I think is important so international students can become easily acclimated to the culture in the US and overall, I have been in contact with the school and they have been really nice and eager for me to attend.
VO:Okay,so do you have any family in Virginia or anywhere in the US?
Me: I do not have any family in Virginia but my great grandmother's stepbrother lives in California.
VO:Okay, so what do you plan to do when you return?
Me: Okay, I plan to take up a job as a clinical biochemist at UPTH since Nigeria is really in need of those.
VO: I see you have a Deans Award, who is going to pay yout deficit?(Traces my sponsor's name on my I-20). Is that your mom or dad?
Me: My dad.
VO:And what does he do?
Me:He is a business man who buys and sells cars. He also owns a poultry and cassava farm.
VO:Okay, everything looks right with your application(picks up the white paper). This contains details in how to pick up your passport and um, keep yout I-20 well, you'll need it at the point of entry.
You haven't been outside Nigeria in the past two weeks right?
Me:Yes. (Nodding like an agama lizard) Thank you!
Collected my docs and sprinted out.
I wished everybody I met after that a lovely day because of happiness.

TIPS
DRESS COMFORTABLY. I saw people who over dressed and still got denied. Even a guy who wore a complete 3 piece suit with a hat got denied.
CONFIDENCE IS KEY. This was probably the hardest part for me because I am very shy. You can be talking to me and I'll be replying the ground. Work on your eye contact and try to keep your voice and upper body stable since they can't see your legs.
BE HONEST
BE EARLY AND ENSURE YOU HAVE ALL YOUR DOCUMENTS AND PASSPORT PHOTOGRAPH( in the correct dimensions). I even carried an affidavit, since me and my dad don't share the same surname.
PRAY PRAY PRAY. I prayed and kept on reciting 2 Timothy 1:7 till it was my turn.
The VO that interviewed me denied two people before me but mine was approved.
FILL YOUR DS-160 BY YOURSELF.
ASK YOURSELF IF YOU SOUND CONVINCING AND IF YOUR INFORMATION AND APPLICATION SEEMS RIGHT.
BELIEVE!
I just collected my passport here in Port Harcourt and I am so elated.
I wish everyone here success.

33 Likes 4 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by sourkandi: 2:28pm On Dec 02, 2021
Sorry about the typos, I was typing fast and I have no idea why those emoji's are there. undecided

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by macsilver(m): 2:37pm On Dec 02, 2021
sourkandi:
Hi guys!
So I had my interview on Monday at Abuja, time slot was 9:15 but after all the processes and screening I had to go through, I was interviewed around 10:30.
VO was a handsome young man in his early 30s, slim, tall, blond hair, blue eyes.
VO:Good morning. So we are going to begin with you placing your fingers on the fingerprint scanner.

Me: I started learning new languages because I believe communication is important.
Me:Okay, Marymount is a small school with big ideas, apart from their excellent biochemistry program, the school is a small school which for me I think is important so international students can become easily acclimated to the culture in the US and overall, I have been in contact with the school and they have been really nice and eager for me to attend.
Me: I do not have any family in Virginia but my great grandmother's stepbrother lives in California.
Me: Okay, I plan to take up a job as a clinical biochemist at UPTH since Nigeria is really in need of those.
VO: I see you have a Deans Award, who is going to pay yout deficit?(Traces my sponsor's name on my I-20). Is that your mom or dad?
Me:He is a business man who buys and sells cars. He also owns a poultry and cassava farm.
VO:Okay, everything looks right with your application(picks up the white paper). This contains details in how to pick up your passport and um, keep yout I-20 well, you'll need it at the point of entry.

Congratulations man! You were highly favoured!

TIPS
DRESS COMFORTABLY. I saw people who over dressed and still got denied. Even a guy who wore a complete 3 piece suit with a hat got denied.
CONFIDENCE IS KEY. This was probably the hardest part for me because I am very shy. You can be talking to me and I'll be replying the ground. Work on your eye contact and try to keep your voice and upper body stable since they can't see your legs.
BE HONEST
BE EARLY AND ENSURE YOU HAVE ALL YOUR DOCUMENTS AND PASSPORT PHOTOGRAPH( in the correct dimensions). I even carried an affidavit, since me and my dad don't share the same surname.
PRAY PRAY PRAY. I prayed and kept on reciting 2 Timothy 1:7 till it was my turn.
ASK YOURSELF IF YOU SOUND CONVINCING AND IF YOUR INFORMATION AND APPLICATION SEEMS RIGHT.
BELIEVE!

Thank you!!! Thank you!
Ours would soon come… speedily!

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Greatajo(m): 2:53pm On Dec 02, 2021
Please, for those that applied for the surge, how do you go about it? Been trying the secure a date but this is what I keep getting. And I already have a CGI profile. Please help cos it's been over a week now

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Omoola11: 3:16pm On Dec 02, 2021
Start a new application and pick any early date and submit the application. Then go back and resend the email back.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Dunzg: 3:25pm On Dec 02, 2021
tmann626:
You guys should go ahead with the surge days. I wish you all the best

I just want to know if the dates just automatically adjusts on their system since it has not changed on my profile
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Emmyjack20: 3:43pm On Dec 02, 2021
sourkandi:
Hi guys!

TIPS
BE HONEST
BELIEVE!

Congratulations!!!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by mojolajesu(m): 3:45pm On Dec 02, 2021
Congratulations Bro!

You should just be thankful that you got it.

Some of us ticked the right boxes(dressing, confidence, eye contact, funding and all) and we were still denied.

Just be thankful bro
sourkandi:
Hi guys!

TIPS
BE HONEST
BELIEVE!

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Daviduch19: 3:53pm On Dec 02, 2021
Systrom:
You got your visa because you are young, your parents are sponsoring you, your profile seems like that of an actual young student going for school and not someone trying to runaway

Congrats tho

Exactly. No doubts these VOs look at all the profile before the interview Date. Your DS 160 form is used to place percentage of approval even before you come.

Guilty until you prove otherwise

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Daviduch19: 3:56pm On Dec 02, 2021
mojolajesu:
Congratulations Bro!

You should just be thankful that you got it.

Some of us ticked the right boxes(dressing, confidence, eye contact, funding and all) and we were still denied.

Just be thankful bro

Congratulations.

If you portray some confidence and you are goin for undergraduate with your parents as sponsors you must get your visa

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by younggurl(f): 4:29pm On Dec 02, 2021
Hello, kindly send a mail to Lagosstudents@state.gov to help you with a closer date as your school resumes 10th of Jan. Ensure to attach all necessary documents to back it up.
1. DS-160 confirmation page
2. i-20
3. Proof of sevis payment
4. Visa fee receipt
5. data page

Mascotyl:
Good afternoon house, have scheduled an appointment to be Jan 31,2022 at Abuja embassy but my school resumes on Jan 10 . Also, have applied for EA but my request was denied .So please guys how do I apply for Lagos Surge ? . Do I need to fill another DS-160 for Lagos cause my current DS -160 location is Abuja. Pls,guys how do I get closer date .
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by younggurl(f): 4:32pm On Dec 02, 2021
I was given admission at the school too to resume Jan 2022 but unfortunately, visa was denied at the embassy. ��
Karinaletters:
Hi Qotl, please can we link up for new haven

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Breazybeatz: 4:37pm On Dec 02, 2021
Chiremi:
VISA Approved today in Abuja 12pm

Course of Study: Mechanical Engineering
School: University of Colorado, Boulder
Fee: 52k
Funding: 14k
Balance: 38k

VO: Good afternoon, pass me your I20 and passport
VO: Have you ever traveled out of the country before?
Me: No, I have not had any reason to.
VO: What are you going to the US for
ME: I am going for my masters research program in the University of Colorado Boulder. I will be working with Dr. blablabla on Renewable Energy integration.
VO: How did you find out about your program
Me: I presented a paper during a conference hosted at CU Boulder, then during the breakout session I was able to connect with Dr. blablabla and I spoke about my interest in renewable energy grid integration. She was fascinated to hear about it and she told me she’s also working on a similar project funded by the department of energy. She suggested I join her research team and she put in a word for me to the department head about my research interest and the prospect of joining the department as a grad student.
VO: you mean you went to CU Boulder for a conference?
Me: no, I attended the conference virtually. I presented online.
VO: Oh okay. That’s nice.
VO: How do you plan on paying for your program
Me: well as you can see on my I20, my I have a scholarship of 14k, the balance will be paid by my father.
VO: what does your father do?
ME: He is a politician and a businessman. He owns a saw milling factory, palm oil plantation, palm oil processing factory etc
VO: He’s a politician? What kind of politician?
ME: I explained to him
VO: Okay your application looks good, I’ll be approving your visa…

I tried to listen to the rest of what he was saying after those golden words but I can remember anything.

I didn’t see the Korean VO that’s talked about. Just one bald white male attended to most of us.

I am grateful for the community here. The information posted here and the transcripts helped me to prepare well. I feel getting the visa is easy if one is confident and have a good application. Tbh when I listening to some other interviews before my turn I could tell the outcome from the conversation. Most people don’t prepare well for the interviews and it sometimes obvious from their answers, so can’t really blame the VOs for refusing.

Thank you all.

How can one prepare a "good application" like yours?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Damilare5882(m): 4:42pm On Dec 02, 2021
BadmanGozie:
Where was your POE?

ohare , Chicago
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by dydx2020(m): 4:52pm On Dec 02, 2021
MiamiePizza:

Sorry I did not know it was a general question. For how long have you been given admission? This delays happens sometimes. If you are tired of waiting you can always send an email to the school requesting your i-20

Thanks for the response.
How do I write and what should be d reasons ? I have a deficits of $9K
Please, kindly suggest what to do next. I need my I-20 to proceed.

(1) (2) (3) ... (616) (617) (618) (619) (620) (621) (622) ... (1004)

General South Africa Visa Enquiries / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.