Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,745 members, 7,820,572 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:23 PM

Securing The Bag (The Lagos Hustle) - Literature (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Securing The Bag (The Lagos Hustle) (112580 Views)

The Lagos Hustle: Queens Of Deceit (18+) / Zion Rufus ‘the Lagos Hustle’ / Two Worlds Meet At The Lagos Oriental Hotel. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Securing The Bag (The Lagos Hustle) by Ann2012(f): 4:42am On Mar 01, 2021
Thanks for the update boss
Re: Securing The Bag (The Lagos Hustle) by Twelvedemon12(m): 7:26am On Mar 01, 2021
Thanks for the update sir and happy new month
Re: Securing The Bag (The Lagos Hustle) by Vidamia(m): 7:47am On Mar 01, 2021
Ogbeni.......you are da BOMB......BOMBOSCALAR
Do you have the complete story in pdf format and how much
Re: Securing The Bag (The Lagos Hustle) by EbonyQueen001(f): 8:42am On Mar 01, 2021
Hey!!!

Souloho19 oooooo

This story, even though it's just starting, deserve an award.

You have been giving us crumbs since, the main story is about to start.

It is gonna be massive and mind blowing.

Just like the thunder rumbling, it's gonna sweep us off our feet.

Wow!

Fire on boss

1 Like

Re: Securing The Bag (The Lagos Hustle) by JustCruise(m): 10:27am On Mar 01, 2021
As always a taste will leaving you wanting more.Souloho19, thank you for this update. The Oliver twist in me wants more. Happy New month.
Re: Securing The Bag (The Lagos Hustle) by Vulcanheph(m): 9:36am On Mar 02, 2021
I always thought that you won't be able to write a story as exciting as "Delayed diagnosis" .... I think I was wrong.

1 Like

Re: Securing The Bag (The Lagos Hustle) by WAACUT(m): 2:24pm On Mar 02, 2021
My chairman..I for like know where you base ooo.. even if na one bottle.. let's take and chillax .. thumbs up bro
Re: Securing The Bag (The Lagos Hustle) by WHOcarex: 10:47pm On Mar 02, 2021
This one na mugumaga things o. Over excitement nor go let Mr Doings to reason well o. grin
Re: Securing The Bag (The Lagos Hustle) by Hydriss(m): 7:06am On Mar 03, 2021
Souloho19 I wish you had said the item was worth far morr than $1m, the reason been that Mr Doings spends money like it's nothing and such amount of money shouldn't be giving him and his boss sleepless nights. I was thinking like $100m to like $1b for starters, you get the point boss?

5 Likes

Re: Securing The Bag (The Lagos Hustle) by souloho19(m): 10:05pm On Mar 03, 2021
Hydriss:
Souloho19 I wish you had said the item was worth far morr than $1m, the reason been that Mr Doings spends money like it's nothing and such amount of money shouldn't be giving him and his boss sleepless nights. I was thinking like $100m to like $1b for starters, you get the point boss?

I get your point bossman, thanks for this input.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Securing The Bag (The Lagos Hustle) by Hydriss(m): 10:09pm On Mar 03, 2021
You're welcome bossman
souloho19:

I get your point bossman, thanks for this input.

1 Like

Re: Securing The Bag (The Lagos Hustle) by souloho19(m): 10:11pm On Mar 03, 2021
::::::::::::

KANAKU

The Satchel of Eziza

I didn't know what was happening. I was lost, intrigued, confused and amused at the same time. I idly wondered if Fuoyo had put me on a wild goose chase of hours of pointless driving because it was pretty obvious he didn't know the elderly man, they were definitely not friends, and I could tell he was as surprised as I was to hear the incredible tale. I couldn't believe he had the balls to play me like that, a whole Kanaku. However I couldn't think of that now, I couldn't even get angry. Who got angry after hearing of a hidden treasure and millions of dollars in the same statement. Aaargh!!! there was stinking money in this world and I was interested in my slice.

I looked round the room at the documents strewn about and some blurry sketches I couldn't define while our crazy but wealthy host promised his girlfriend marriage and swore to explain everything later. Whoever this man was, he was the kind of person I wouldn't mind calling my boss or referring as "sir." If I'd seen him in the streets, I'll have both hands raised by now and stamp my legs while hailing him "senior man!"

I couldn't even bother to think of how much it could be in naira especially with the way the naira had recently been falling like a new born calf. What was this treasure that was worth such amount even on the black market? Did he expect us to track it? and if he did, did that mean he had some kind of map or a clue to the present location of this so called treasure? And if he did, where was it? I glanced round the suite and sighed, If only I had a clearer picture of what was really going on.

Fuoyo was on the same wavelength with me and he impressed me by saying, "Mr Kenekelis wasn't really clear on all the details or requirements of this particular job, It'll help us work better if we knew everything there was to know about this....treasure"

Senior man blinked in confusion and I began to curse Fuoyo in my mind, thinking he had managed to blow everything apart but then the Mr D fellow nodded, "oh well that makes sense, I know K doesn't talk much and would have avoided all trackers that has worked on this case before..." he glanced at his watch. "I hope this rain stops soon," he muttered absentmindedly before looking at Fuoyo then me. "so what exactly do you know about the Satchel of Eziza?"

We stared back at him blankly and he looked incredulous. "Nothing? Are you kidding me? Okay but you know of Olokun the bronze deity believed to have been carved in the late 1700's?"

Fuoyo and I glanced at each other. it was our first time hearing such

"I don't understand, what kind of historians and archeoloists are you-" He sounded a little suspicious now

"of course we're well familiar with the god called Olokun," Fuoyo retorted and I found myself liking the kid a little. Maybe I had underrated him, he was a sharp tack.

"Okay, well if you're aware of the legend, you'll know that back that in those days, the Oba's palace was home to all the priceless art work in the Kingdom. I'm talking of bronze and gold sculptures and cultural heritage of the Benin people, passed down Centuries ago, from generation to generation... However in a separate wing in the palace, in it's own separate room stood the biggest stature, all 4 feet of sculptured gold. This was the popular deity; Olokun's statue. Now what most people don't know is that early into the 18th century, a powerful high priest on behalf of the King ordered the the royal carvers to make modifications to the statue. A kind of sling hand made with all the precious gems in the entire kingdom was carved, it resembled a purse but was hung around the neck of the stature, for it had a pendant...you see, which was shaped like a locked padlock but it really represented a bag that was always open, this bag took about 10 years to make and it's alleged that the Chief spent 7 days submerged in the Olokun river with the bag which fit around a grown man's neck like a necklace. This mysterious object was called the infamous satchel of Eziza and was a direct hand purse of the gods, used as a medium to receive cowries from the indigenes whenever they had a request to make to Olokun. The request ranged from the barren given birth to the dead being brought to life..to a fruitful harvest..."

"Hmmm...." I murmured disbelievingly. This was beginning to sound like tales by moonlight. Maybe collecting the money now wouldn't be a bad idea after all. This man was obviously crazy and at least half bread was still better than chin chin

He was still caught up in his impressive story; "now if the cowry was still in the satchel the next morning then that meant Olokun had found the person unworthy and had refused the request and sacrifice but if the satchel was empty the next morning, then whatever it was that the person wanted or desired would come to pass. No matter what it was." He looked at me and I glared back, my frown was returning gradually with every ridiculous word.

"I know it sounds crazy, I used to think it was trash too until I came across some old first hand detailed reports from a colonial British military commander who ended up with the artifact after the attack on the palace in which british forces carted valuable Benin artifcts to Europe. There's no record of the satchel among the loots because during the ensuing fracas, the satchel of Eziza was separated from the statue and it didn't end up on a ship to Britain like the other treasures, instead the commander became obsessed with it and decided to keep it to himself-he became intrigued in the supposed power and believe it was the cause of his good fortune especially when he got promoted to General, he became filthy rich and at a point was in control of a huge region of the South until it was stolen in a raid and he got transferred back to-"

I couldn't pay attention to his story, all I could think of was how I was going to chip in the 23k once more or if I could intimidate the said amount from him. He didn't look to be in total control of his wits and I could sense he was much into his treasure gibberish to recognize any threat I might use. Unless I put my hands on him, and strangely I didn't really want it to come to that. If I was going to beat anybody it would be Fuoyo the cause of everything.

"Now according to his journal, his quarters was robbed during an assassination attempt on his life by rebels fighting the colonial master and he immediately-"

The phone rang again and Mr D sighed irritably, "what does this fucking receptionist girl want again, always calling...!"

He grabbed the receiver but the complain died on his lips as he listened with a frown. "I don't understand, they said they're from Kene who?........Are you sure that's what they said?"

I looked at Fuoyo, I knew he was thinking what I was thinking. The girl from the elevator was also thinking the same thing, she had a triumphant smile, as if to say; the jig is up. The real trackers were at the hotel and had just asked to be shown up.

Mr D put down the receiver and observed Fuoyo and I with red eyes. "Trackers from Kenekelis are in the elevator coming up right now, so who the hell are you?"

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Securing The Bag (The Lagos Hustle) by Twelvedemon12(m): 11:37pm On Mar 03, 2021
Mr d might work with kanaku and fuoyo

1 Like

Re: Securing The Bag (The Lagos Hustle) by rosebuzz(f): 3:40am On Mar 04, 2021
So who the hell are you Wow wow wow thanks for this wonderful write up

1 Like

Re: Securing The Bag (The Lagos Hustle) by Ann2012(f): 4:58am On Mar 04, 2021
Oya ooo answer..... Fuoyo and Kanaku grin

Thanks for the update

1 Like

Re: Securing The Bag (The Lagos Hustle) by sltn(m): 2:50pm On Mar 04, 2021
Men this Kanaku eh him matter no clear at all na that 23k dey e eye and mind. Kai yoruba guys eh i hail o. Fuoyo na sharp guy i know say e go handle this matter base on I.Q.'

mehn boss i hail souloho19 my man.

2 Likes

Re: Securing The Bag (The Lagos Hustle) by HORLADSTAR(m): 4:03pm On Mar 04, 2021
Nice one mr souloho19

1 Like

Re: Securing The Bag (The Lagos Hustle) by Aprishyn06(m): 7:42pm On Mar 04, 2021
Party scatter cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Securing The Bag (The Lagos Hustle) by Oroolorun(m): 11:02pm On Mar 04, 2021
The real trackers and the accidental trackers. The game is getting real interesting.

1 Like

Re: Securing The Bag (The Lagos Hustle) by Asek1(m): 4:45pm On Mar 05, 2021
Ghen ghen
Real and fake is about to be decided cheesy

1 Like

Re: Securing The Bag (The Lagos Hustle) by WHOcarex: 7:48pm On Mar 05, 2021
Very good grin

1 Like

Re: Securing The Bag (The Lagos Hustle) by hardeygbolar(m): 10:26am On Mar 06, 2021
Boss you are the bomb

1 Like

Re: Securing The Bag (The Lagos Hustle) by Opeade939(f): 1:33pm On Mar 06, 2021
Well done boss

1 Like

Re: Securing The Bag (The Lagos Hustle) by emmyN(m): 9:50pm On Mar 06, 2021
This is getting more interesting. Well done souloho19

1 Like

Re: Securing The Bag (The Lagos Hustle) by UNCL3(m): 7:49am On Mar 07, 2021
Nice story, I've been following keenly.

I have a feeling that Mr Doings will allow Fuoyo and Kanaku still join him plus the original trackers, because they know too much already.

This story is worth a diamond, cheers souloho19.
Re: Securing The Bag (The Lagos Hustle) by UNCL3(m): 7:51am On Mar 07, 2021
While we wait for the next episode to drop, please people bless your ears and hearts with this beautiful song I did.
No regrets on your data.

Link in signature, thank you.
Re: Securing The Bag (The Lagos Hustle) by souloho19(m): 3:42pm On Mar 07, 2021
UNCL3:
While we wait for the next episode to drop, please people bless your ears and hearts with this beautiful song I did.
No regrets on your data.

Link in signature, thank you.

nice sound, dope chorus...your rap delivery needs little chiseling but overall it has replay value

2 Likes

Re: Securing The Bag (The Lagos Hustle) by UNCL3(m): 3:51pm On Mar 07, 2021
souloho19:

nice sound, dope chorus...your rap delivery needs little chiseling but overall it has replay value

Thanks boss
I appreciate and will work on my delivery.

Impatiently wetin for the next episode.

2 Likes

Re: Securing The Bag (The Lagos Hustle) by souloho19(m): 4:02pm On Mar 07, 2021
CHAPTER 9

Cold Blooded

FUOYO

Kanaku and I exchanged a worried glance, it was funny how things had changed since I woke up to his horrid scare just this morning and now we were somehow on the same team. In this room with this strangely intelligent older man and his beautiful but angry girlfriend, listening to him talk on and on about ancient treasures stolen by colonial masters and this so-called neck bag made from precious stones that had supernatural powers. It was a hell of a tale no doubt and I was intrigued even though I suspected it was nothing but crazy fables, it had to be crazy right?

After he dropped the receiver, I looked around the room as he demanded we tell him who we were. So if the real archeologists and historians or whatever he called them were coming here, for this....legend.....all these....papers and drawings....could that mean all of these was real? Or were these people just misguided and plain crazy? Kanaku was also silent, after all his activity forming earlier, now that it mattered the most he couldn't even say anything. The bastard. I knew it was up to me to take a gamble. Mr. D was looking at us with equal measures of worry and suspicion and anger.

"come on sir you know how Kenekelis is, he doesn't like to put his eggs in one basket, I'm sure he found a less expensive option and decided to send them to you to choose. He didn't even tell us much about the job" I offered lamely

He squinted his eyes at me and I couldn't believe he was actually considering it. Whoever this kenekelis was, I was grateful he was a predictable or unpredictable character. Kanaku found his voice finally, "exactly boss, after how many years in this game there's no way you can be so bad at judging characters. You must trust us deep in your guts, we know it and we know you know it too"

I didn't know I was holding my breath till he nodded slowly and I smiled

"Oh baby don't tell me you believe this rubbish. They only overhead your name when the receptionist was talking to me downstairs and they've been playing along ever since, I don't know their main intentions but it's obviously fake, come on babe look at them..." Jess pointed at me, "this one doesn't look like somebody that can even track gala in traffic, the other one is clearly a lout, he threatened to beat me when we were in the elevator just because I said the receptionist should-"

Sheeeesh! This girl could talk! She sounded like a spoilt child reporting the hired help to a rich uncle. Thankfully she was interrupted by a sharp knock on the door and Mr. D put his hands on his head and groaned. "arrrrrgh"

He looked like he hadn't slept in 5 days and we had only made things worse by thoroughly screwing with his brain.

He glanced at me and I relaxed my eye muscles, trying to look as plain eyed and honest as possible, "I don't understand what's going on, but it's either you guys are imposters or Kenekelis made a mistake..." he stared into space and stroked his jaw. "or.....K...." he looked up suddenly, ".....has betrayed me to the boss....."

The knock sounded again. The knob turned impatiently. Thankfully the door was bolted shut"shit, okay you guys go...go into the toilet and wait there, don't come out until I decide what the Bleep is going on here"

The girlfriend he'd called Jess sent me a deadly look before placing her hands on her waist. "I'll stay with you boo"

"no no, go with them....if K is really working against me and they're here to get the locations, then it's important they think no one else knows these details, I know too much and that makes me invaluable to them but anyone else is just a loose end. Go..." He urged in a frustrated whisper

"But what if these guys are the real enemies huh?" Stubborn Jess asked still looking at me with contempt. I wondered if it was because of my cough earlier which had interrupted her sugar daddy's proposal.

The knock sounded again, impatiently this time and the frame vibrated from the violent hits. Mr. D practically pushed us into the last room. "I don't know who they really are but I trust these men. They may not be honest but my gut tells me they're not the enemy, and I follow my guts. Now you 3 stay quietly and don't come out till I discharge them and decide it's safe to call you okay?"

"Okay sure thing sir" I agreed immediately and Kanaku flipped the lock the moment he shut the door.

"I have a bad feeling about this?" Jess murmured

"shhh your highness, I'll like to hear what's been said out there okay?" I had the side of my head pressed hard against the door and my ear picked up low voices from the next room, I recognized Mr. D's voice and 2 strange voices.

"So kenekelis sent you huh? What exactly did he tell you" Mr. D's high pitch made it easier to recognize his voice and make out his words

"that you.......big job.......wanted us..... handle discreetly"

Mr D: "hmmmm....did he tell you what we're looking for and where we're looking"

"yes.....homework.....about the bag....diary.?" This particular voice was so low only a few words per sentence was audible

"We also know you made up the Sokoto clue to throw the boss off track while you went to the first location in Nassarawa, to get the price... isn't that right Brian?" The second voice was much louder, there was something cool in his voice that made the hairs behind my neck stand

Mr. D: "I don't know what you're talking about...wait how do you know my first name?"

I looked at Kanaku and Jess, both had their arms folded and looked eagerly at me. I didn't know how much they had heard but obviously enough, judging by Jess's horrified look

"I think he's in trouble" I whispered returning my ear to the wooden surface once more.

"You guys are not trackers, Kenekelis didn't send you, what are you here for? I don't have the diary-" Mr. D accused

"Don't worry yourself about who sent us. If you give us the diary and the map locations we're to make your death quick and painless"

"I swear I don't have the diary, I had it with me only for some hours and I could only memorize the important details, every other thing I know about the treasure is from all I've studied and learned for the last ten years...the last sighting of the bag was in Nassarawa in the year 1918 there's a popular picture of the Alhaji with the bag around his neck. I sat with the boss earlier today, he has a detailed report and knows everything I know"

"Obviously not everything.." the words were broken off at each syllable and there was a shuffling kind of noise, like the furniture was being tossed around, "you're supposed to be in Abuja right now, preparing for the glorious find in Nassarawa, yet here you are, making plans for your own separate excavation"

There was a cracking sound and Mr. D gave a short shout that was cut off abruptly before a loud thud sounded. I struggled to look through the peephole but they weren't in my range. I could only see the couch Mr. D has shoved aside earlier

"Oh my God what's happ-" Jessy cried out

Kanaku grabbed her immediately and covered her mouth with his palm, silencing her before she could raise her voice properly. "shhh stay quiet, your boyfriend has things under control..." The words were no sooner out of his mouth when Mr. D, began groaning in pain. There was the unmistakable sound of adhesive ripping and his voice was soon muffled and barely carried through the door, his mouth had been taped shut but I could hear the pain in every sound.

"Fuoyo what's happening?" Kanaku demanded in a furious whisper.

I pressed my ear closer to the door if possible till I could hear every single shuffle from the next room and every weak moan from Mr. D that followed an incisive swishing sound that made me think of a sharp dagger going through a bag of rice, ripping open yards of sack threads.

"you know the code, the boss is very practical, backstabbers get stabbed in the back,.... ha...ha..haha" the man with the low voice seemed to be the one doing the stabbing. There was a kind of joy in his voice which amplified his every word this time around. He sounded like he loved his job.

These men were no trackers, they were killers.

"what's going on?" Kanaku demanded again, I noticed Jess was seriously biting his hand but he maintained his tight grip.

"They're stabbing him...I think in the back" I whispered back

"mmmmh mmmmmh mhmmmhh" Jess's complaint only came out in a moan and Kanaku and I shushed her with desperate whispers; "Shhhhh, you're going to get us killed"

The attackers were still speaking and I struggled to catch most of the words.

"diary....map.....house....somewhere..........Kenekelis.....tomorrow.....Nassarawa.....secure......bag......search..........in case....somewhere...."

"Shit" I whispered the bad news to my fellow prisoners. "I'm not sure but I think they plan to search the whole suite"

"Then we have to fight" Kanaku whispered back. "Do they have guns?" He had loosened his grip on Jess. She had grown completely still and teardrops now rolled down her cheeks freely.

I have never felt the kind of paralyzing fear that gripped me as I listened to Mr. D's voice fade away like a sad song ending. Did someone just get murdered in the next room with 3 strangers locked in the toilet the only witnesses to the evil act? And would the killers shoot the door down and find us soon?Shit just got too real. This wasn't just some fairy tale or some mythical treasure anymore, people were ready and willing to kill for it.Luckily for us, the landline began to ring again. The receptionist was calling again, for whatever reason but it made the killers nervous and there was a short argument when the phone stopped ringing. Unknown killer A with the low voice who I now suspected was a cold-blooded murdering psychopath wanted to go ahead and search for the missing diary and map but unknown killer B with the hard voice was worried the receptionist was on her way up or maybe Mr. D had guests.

I held my breath, hoping they would go away and my prayer was answered.

"Okay, pack every paper you can see, we'll send everything to Kenekelis"

"what about his girlfriend?"

"we'll wait and see if there's still no sign of the map or diary then we pick her up and hand her over to K"

(wicked laugh) "Oh the sick pervert will surely find out everything she knows"

"hey don't talk like that"

They must have been standing right outside the door because their voices were really loud. The 3 of us heard them clearly. I turned to look at the "girlfriend" in question. Her eyes were puffy from the crying and she looked so afraid and vulnerable that I almost made a promise no one was going to hurt her, I almost foolishly said it out loud, if not that one of them tried to open the toilet door and jiggled the handle.

"Why's this door locked?"

"Come on Jaga let's get out of here quick"

The handle turned once more then Jaga finally gave up and they spent about two more minutes moving things about the room and shuffling the many research documents Mr. D had clipped about. Finally, their footsteps receded and we heard them close the main door and the penthouse was silent for the next 5 minutes while we tried to return our pulse to normal. We were all shaken up in varying stages, Jess looked totally petrified, even the tough Kanaku shut his eyes and placed his bleeding hand on his chest trying to calm his pulse, as for me, I wasn't even ready to open the door yet.

It was still Kanaku who opened the door and slipped out for a quick search of the suite. "We have to get the hell out of here," he called out.

"It's okay Jess, take my hand..." I offered my hand and she wrapped her fingers around mine gratefully and together we left the toilet and I wondered what we'll find.

The room was now a bloody mess, there was not even a single sheet of paper lying about. But there was plenty of bloodstains on the walls and a huge puddle of red paste had trickled to the center of the room, giving the map on the floor a bloody and haunting look. Without fully knowing what I was doing, I brought out my phone and took a quick clear picture of the now bloodied drawing. This was the only evidence of the legend Mr. D had only begun to tell and I had a feeling I'll wake up on my couch with a headache and would need to check my gallery to confirm this had been real and not a drunken dream.

"Don't look in the corner" Kanaku instructed once we stepped into the room, but like inquisitive children, our eyes were immediately drawn to the corner he warned us not to look. It was a gruesome sight even from the short distance and I almost threw up in my mouth, I actually bit my tongue hard till I thought I would pass out from the pain but I kept my eyes and mouth shut tight, trying without luck to wash away the graphic image of Mr. D's massacred body from my mind. It was stuck; His naked mutilated copse with deep cuts crisscrossed in every inch of his body till there was no skin left unviolated.

Jess continued to stare, frozen in the same spot and unable to tear her eyes away despite the obvious trauma it was causing her. "Jess come on they could come back anytime." I gave her a tug but her body had gone stiff. "Jess..?"

"She's gone into shock, get her to the elevator quickly" Kanaku ordered. He picked up a pair of pant trousers that had been discarded in the corner and began to dig into the pockets.

I put Jess's arm over my shoulder and managed to half carry her to the door. "Are you serious? You'll rob the dead?" I couldn't believe him

"Please spare me, he won't be needing money wherever he's going. Plus money brought us here in case you have forgotten, so take her downstairs and I'll join you once I'm done here"

I shook my head but didn't say anything else. The whole suite smelled of death and I just wanted to get out.

Thankfully Jess regained some level of consciousness in the elevator. I held her throughout the 10-floor ride and she sobbed into my chest and I tried to comfort her, unsure of what to say so I kept quiet and when we got to the ground floor, she kept crying while I kept hitting the button, keeping the elevator stationary. Until Kanaku exited the next elevator and called out. "Hey lover boy, it's still raining heavily let's heard to the car fast"

He flashed a leather designer purse, "I believe this belongs to her, she left it upstairs"

I could tell from the way his eyes narrowed that he had also fingered the purse.

The huge glass clock in the hotel lobby showed the time was 10 minutes past 11. The receptionist lady was focused on a music video on the LCD screen but she smiled at us and for some reason, she seemed pleased to see Jessy crying.

"Bros una make ashewo cry?" she asked playfully

I wanted to tell her to go screw herself but I decided to save my breath. However, I noticed Jess managed to stop crying after that, other than the occasional sniffles and she even managed to stand upright without leaning on me while we waited for Kanaku to bring my car close to the entrance. Even in the mindless state of grief, her ego wouldn't allow her to roll over for a hater. I admired her for that.

"This rain is going to soak you, here hold on" I unbuttoned my Moncler cotton shirt and draped it over her shoulder. She looked at me for long and muttered, "thank you"

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Securing The Bag (The Lagos Hustle) by UNCL3(m): 4:21pm On Mar 07, 2021
souloho19:
CHAPTER 9

Cold Blooded

FUOYO

Kanaku and I exchanged a worried glance, it was funny how things had changed since I woke up to his horrid scare just this morning and now we were somehow on the same team. In this room with this strangely intelligent older man and his beautiful but angry girlfriend, listening to him talk on and on about ancient treasures stolen by colonial masters and this so-called neck bag made from precious stones that had supernatural powers. It was a hell of a tale no doubt and I was intrigued even though I suspected it was nothing but crazy fables, it had to be crazy right?

After he dropped the receiver, I looked around the room as he demanded we tell him who we were. So if the real archeologists and historians or whatever he called them were coming here, for this....legend.....all these....papers and drawings....could that mean all of these was real? Or were these people just misguided and plain crazy? Kanaku was also silent, after all his activity forming earlier, now that it mattered the most he couldn't even say anything. The bastard. I knew it was up to me to take a gamble. Mr. D was looking at us with equal measures of worry and suspicion and anger.

"come on sir you know how Kenekelis is, he doesn't like to put his eggs in one basket, I'm sure he found a less expensive option and decided to send them to you to choose. He didn't even tell us much about the job" I offered lamely

He squinted his eyes at me and I couldn't believe he was actually considering it. Whoever this kenekelis was, I was grateful he was a predictable or unpredictable character. Kanaku found his voice finally, "exactly boss, after how many years in this game there's no way you can be so bad at judging characters. You must trust us deep in your guts, we know it and we know you know it too"

I didn't know I was holding my breath till he nodded slowly and I smiled

"Oh baby don't tell me you believe this rubbish. They only overhead your name when the receptionist was talking to me downstairs and they've been playing along ever since, I don't know their main intentions but it's obviously fake, come on babe look at them..." Jess pointed at me, "this one doesn't look like somebody that can even track gala in traffic, the other one is clearly a lout, he threatened to beat me when we were in the elevator just because I said the receptionist should-"

Sheeeesh! This girl could talk! She sounded like a spoilt child reporting the hired help to a rich uncle. Thankfully she was interrupted by a sharp knock on the door and Mr. D put his hands on his head and groaned. "arrrrrgh"

He looked like he hadn't slept in 5 days and we had only made things worse by thoroughly screwing with his brain.

He glanced at me and I relaxed my eye muscles, trying to look as plain eyed and honest as possible, "I don't understand what's going on, but it's either you guys are imposters or Kenekelis made a mistake..." he stared into space and stroked his jaw. "or.....K...." he looked up suddenly, ".....has betrayed me to the boss....."

The knock sounded again. The knob turned impatiently. Thankfully the door was bolted shut"shit, okay you guys go...go into the toilet and wait there, don't come out until I decide what the Bleep is going on here"

The girlfriend he'd called Jess sent me a deadly look before placing her hands on her waist. "I'll stay with you boo"

"no no, go with them....if K is really working against me and they're here to get the locations, then it's important they think no one else knows these details, I know too much and that makes me invaluable to them but anyone else is just a loose end. Go..." He urged in a frustrated whisper

"But what if these guys are the real enemies huh?" Stubborn Jess asked still looking at me with contempt. I wondered if it was because of my cough earlier which had interrupted her sugar daddy's proposal.

The knock sounded again, impatiently this time and the frame vibrated from the violent hits. Mr. D practically pushed us into the last room. "I don't know who they really are but I trust these men. They may not be honest but my gut tells me they're not the enemy, and I follow my guts. Now you 3 stay quietly and don't come out till I discharge them and decide it's safe to call you okay?"

"Okay sure thing sir" I agreed immediately and Kanaku flipped the lock the moment he shut the door.

"I have a bad feeling about this?" Jess murmured

"shhh your highness, I'll like to hear what's been said out there okay?" I had the side of my head pressed hard against the door and my ear picked up low voices from the next room, I recognized Mr. D's voice and 2 strange voices.

"So kenekelis sent you huh? What exactly did he tell you" Mr. D's high pitch made it easier to recognize his voice and make out his words

"that you.......big job.......wanted us..... handle discreetly"

Mr D: "hmmmm....did he tell you what we're looking for and where we're looking"

"yes.....homework.....about the bag....diary.?" This particular voice was so low only a few words per sentence was audible

"We also know you made up the Sokoto clue to throw the boss off track while you went to the first location in Nassarawa, to get the price... isn't that right Brian?" The second voice was much louder, there was something cool in his voice that made the hairs behind my neck stand

Mr. D: "I don't know what you're talking about...wait how do you know my first name?"

I looked at Kanaku and Jess, both had their arms folded and looked eagerly at me. I didn't know how much they had heard but obviously enough, judging by Jess's horrified look

"I think he's in trouble" I whispered returning my ear to the wooden surface once more.

"You guys are not trackers, Kenekelis didn't send you, what are you here for? I don't have the diary-" Mr. D accused

"Don't worry yourself about who sent us. If you give us the diary and the map locations we're to make your death quick and painless"

"I swear I don't have the diary, I had it with me only for some hours and I could only memorize the important details, every other thing I know about the treasure is from all I've studied and learned for the last ten years...the last sighting of the bag was in Nassarawa in the year 1918 there's a popular picture of the Alhaji with the bag around his neck. I sat with the boss earlier today, he has a detailed report and knows everything I know"

"Obviously not everything.." the words were broken off at each syllable and there was a shuffling kind of noise, like the furniture was being tossed around, "you're supposed to be in Abuja right now, preparing for the glorious find in Nassarawa, yet here you are, making plans for your own separate excavation"

There was a cracking sound and Mr. D gave a short shout that was cut off abruptly before a loud thud sounded. I struggled to look through the peephole but they weren't in my range. I could only see the couch Mr. D has shoved aside earlier

"Oh my God what's happ-" Jessy cried out

Kanaku grabbed her immediately and covered her mouth with his palm, silencing her before she could raise her voice properly. "shhh stay quiet, your boyfriend has things under control..." The words were no sooner out of his mouth when Mr. D, began groaning in pain. There was the unmistakable sound of adhesive ripping and his voice was soon muffled and barely carried through the door, his mouth had been taped shut but I could hear the pain in every sound.

"Fuoyo what's happening?" Kanaku demanded in a furious whisper.

I pressed my ear closer to the door if possible till I could hear every single shuffle from the next room and every weak moan from Mr. D that followed an incisive swishing sound that made me think of a sharp dagger going through a bag of rice, ripping open yards of sack threads.

"you know the code, the boss is very practical, backstabbers get stabbed in the back,.... ha...ha..haha" the man with the low voice seemed to be the one doing the stabbing. There was a kind of joy in his voice which amplified his every word this time around. He sounded like he loved his job.

These men were no trackers, they were killers.

"what's going on?" Kanaku demanded again, I noticed Jess was seriously biting his hand but he maintained his tight grip.

"They're stabbing him...I think in the back" I whispered back

"mmmmh mmmmmh mhmmmhh" Jess's complaint only came out in a moan and Kanaku and I shushed her with desperate whispers; "Shhhhh, you're going to get us killed"

The attackers were still speaking and I struggled to catch most of the words.

"diary....map.....house....somewhere..........Kenekelis.....tomorrow.....Nassarawa.....secure......bag......search..........in case....somewhere...."

"Shit" I whispered the bad news to my fellow prisoners. "I'm not sure but I think they plan to search the whole suite"

"Then we have to fight" Kanaku whispered back. "Do they have guns?" He had loosened his grip on Jess. She had grown completely still and teardrops now rolled down her cheeks freely.

I have never felt the kind of paralyzing fear that gripped me as I listened to Mr. D's voice fade away like a sad song ending. Did someone just get murdered in the next room with 3 strangers locked in the toilet the only witnesses to the evil act? And would the killers shoot the door down and find us soon?Shit just got too real. This wasn't just some fairy tale or some mythical treasure anymore, people were ready and willing to kill for it.Luckily for us, the landline began to ring again. The receptionist was calling again, for whatever reason but it made the killers nervous and there was a short argument when the phone stopped ringing. Unknown killer A with the low voice who I now suspected was a cold-blooded murdering psychopath wanted to go ahead and search for the missing diary and map but unknown killer B with the hard voice was worried the receptionist was on her way up or maybe Mr. D had guests.

I held my breath, hoping they would go away and my prayer was answered.

"Okay, pack every paper you can see, we'll send everything to Kenekelis"

"what about his girlfriend?"

"we'll wait and see if there's still no sign of the map or diary then we pick her up and hand her over to K"

(wicked laugh) "Oh the sick pervert will surely find out everything she knows"

"hey don't talk like that"

They must have been standing right outside the door because their voices were really loud. The 3 of us heard them clearly. I turned to look at the "girlfriend" in question. Her eyes were puffy from the crying and she looked so afraid and vulnerable that I almost made a promise no one was going to hurt her, I almost foolishly said it out loud, if not that one of them tried to open the toilet door and jiggled the handle.

"Why's this door locked?"

"Come on Jaga let's get out of here quick"

The handle turned once more then Jaga finally gave up and they spent about two more minutes moving things about the room and shuffling the many research documents Mr. D had clipped about. Finally, their footsteps receded and we heard them close the main door and the penthouse was silent for the next 5 minutes while we tried to return our pulse to normal. We were all shaken up in varying stages, Jess looked totally petrified, even the tough Kanaku shut his eyes and placed his bleeding hand on his chest trying to calm his pulse, as for me, I wasn't even ready to open the door yet.

It was still Kanaku who opened the door and slipped out for a quick search of the suite. "We have to get the hell out of here," he called out.

"It's okay Jess, take my hand..." I offered my hand and she wrapped her fingers around mine gratefully and together we left the toilet and I wondered what we'll find.

The room was now a bloody mess, there was not even a single sheet of paper lying about. But there was plenty of bloodstains on the walls and a huge puddle of red paste had trickled to the center of the room, giving the map on the floor a bloody and haunting look. Without fully knowing what I was doing, I brought out my phone and took a quick clear picture of the now bloodied drawing. This was the only evidence of the legend Mr. D had only begun to tell and I had a feeling I'll wake up on my couch with a headache and would need to check my gallery to confirm this had been real and not a drunken dream.

"Don't look in the corner" Kanaku instructed once we stepped into the room, but like inquisitive children, our eyes were immediately drawn to the corner he warned us not to look. It was a gruesome sight even from the short distance and I almost threw up in my mouth, I actually bit my tongue hard till I thought I would pass out from the pain but I kept my eyes and mouth shut tight, trying without luck to wash away the graphic image of Mr. D's massacred body from my mind. It was stuck; His naked mutilated copse with deep cuts crisscrossed in every inch of his body till there was no skin left unviolated.

Jess continued to stare, frozen in the same spot and unable to tear her eyes away despite the obvious trauma it was causing her. "Jess come on they could come back anytime." I gave her a tug but her body had gone stiff. "Jess..?"

"She's gone into shock, get her to the elevator quickly" Kanaku ordered. He picked up a pair of pant trousers that had been discarded in the corner and began to dig into the pockets.

I put Jess's arm over my shoulder and managed to half carry her to the door. "Are you serious? You'll rob the dead?" I couldn't believe him

"Please spare me, he won't be needing money wherever he's going. Plus money brought us here in case you have forgotten, so take her downstairs and I'll join you once I'm done here"

I shook my head but didn't say anything else. The whole suite smelled of death and I just wanted to get out.

Thankfully Jess regained some level of consciousness in the elevator. I held her throughout the 10-floor ride and she sobbed into my chest and I tried to comfort her, unsure of what to say so I kept quiet and when we got to the ground floor, she kept crying while I kept hitting the button, keeping the elevator stationary. Until Kanaku exited the next elevator and called out. "Hey lover boy, it's still raining heavily let's heard to the car fast"

He flashed a leather designer purse, "I believe this belongs to her, she left it upstairs"

I could tell from the way his eyes narrowed that he had also fingered the purse.

The huge glass clock in the hotel lobby showed the time was 10 minutes past 11. The receptionist lady was focused on a music video on the LCD screen but she smiled at us and for some reason, she seemed pleased to see Jessy crying.

"Bros una make ashewo cry?" she asked playfully

I wanted to tell her to go screw herself but I decided to save my breath. However, I noticed Jess managed to stop crying after that, other than the occasional sniffles and she even managed to stand upright without leaning on me while we waited for Kanaku to bring my car close to the entrance. Even in the mindless state of grief, her ego wouldn't allow her to roll over for a hater. I admired her for that.

"This rain is going to soak you, here hold on" I unbuttoned my Moncler cotton shirt and draped it over her shoulder. She looked at me for long and muttered, "thank you"

Really cold blooded

Nice work man
Re: Securing The Bag (The Lagos Hustle) by Mynet11(m): 6:27pm On Mar 07, 2021
It's so real, seems like am in a cinema watching it live. This is the king of suspense doing what he knows how to do best. Thanks boss. Wish the updates can be thrice a week... Wednesday is too long
Re: Securing The Bag (The Lagos Hustle) by Mynet11(m): 6:32pm On Mar 07, 2021
UNCL3:

Really cold blooded

Nice work man
That's a nice voice you got there Bru, is on repeat in my playlist already... You can go places... Keep up

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (22) (Reply)

A Male Child Is More Beneficial Than A Female Child In Nigeria(see Why) / A Broken Destiny: The Sword Of Vengeance / The Naughty Sisters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 181
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.