Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,374 members, 7,819,361 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:53 PM

Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? (41846 Views)

Why Is " Anything Raised To The Power Zero" Equals To One? / Why Is Any Number Divided By Zero Equals To Infinity?? / How To Find The Square Root Of ANY Number Instantly In 3 Secs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by lincsnuel: 12:44pm On Jan 14, 2021
BobFischer:

mind you
0 * 3 and
3 * 0 are two different statement.

0 (nothing) * 3 (something) = 0 (nothing)

3 (something) * 0 (nothing) = 0 (nothing).

why isnt it
3 * 0 = 3
0 * 3 = 0

You're getting it wrong. Multiplication obeys associative and commutative property... i.e, A*B = B*A

Therefore, 3*0 = 0*3

1 Like

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by jadyclem(m): 12:45pm On Jan 14, 2021
BobFischer:
Why is any any number multiply by zero is equal to zero?

10 x 0 = 0
100 x 0 = 0
1000 x 0 = 0

If i have 100 oranges on a table and i multiply it by zero. Why do i suddenly have zero?

100 oranges X 0 = 0
1000 pears X 0 = 0

front page please
mathematicians in the house please gather.
Here's the logic:
1 + 1 = 2 (result)
The two is the result when you add another one to the one you have before
2 × 2 = result = 4 (we increase to by itself twice (multiply or multiple))
2 × 3 = result = 6 (we increase two three times I.e two increases itself 3 times)
2 * 0 = result = 0 (two increases itself by nothing so there will be no result )
If you have 100 oranges and you try to increase that 100 oranges by nothing you will have no result (nothing)
Will your 100 oranges still be there? Yes but on the left hand side of the equation but on the right hand side there's no result (0)
100 oranges × 0 (left hand side of equation) = result(0) (right hand side of the equation)
Simply put, when you try to increase(multiply) yourself by nothing, you get nothing

For addition and subtraction you are not trying to increase(multiply) yourself but you're either bringing several of your twin/family members to join you or removing your twin/family members wey you don take join body before.

Shay you get the simple logic
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by obembet(f): 12:45pm On Jan 14, 2021
BobFischer X 0 = 0

1 Like

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Fiscus105(m): 12:46pm On Jan 14, 2021
toobusy:
. Still doesn't make much sense to me sir/ma........I don't have any problem believing that 0*30=0 because logically one can say that nothing in 30 places will always be nothing,but I find it almost impossible to believe that 30*0 =0......what is the logical explanation to convince a man who has 30# that because his 30# was multiple by nothing (0) and as such he has no money again?.it doesn't add up.

Going by ur logic, 2*3=6

Now 2 oranges* 3 apple =?

Mathematically it doesn't go as the way you are proofing ur theory
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by hansomb: 12:46pm On Jan 14, 2021
Worldliness:

Zero practically means nothing.

So nothing 1 time, nothing 2 times and nothing 1000 times 0r 1million times is still equal to nothing.

Eg) if i dont have 1 naira, if you ask me for 1 naira for 1 time or even 100 times, i still dont have any. that is it.
Zero point one nko
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by calculator123(m): 12:47pm On Jan 14, 2021
BobFischer:

1 + 2 = 3.
2 + 1 = 3.
The two statement above is not the same though the result is the same

Multiplication is commutative, depending on the mathematical structure it's defined on

1 Like

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by UDUJ(m): 12:48pm On Jan 14, 2021
obembet:
BobFischer X 0 = 0

cheesy grin cheesy

0 X BobFischer = 0

BobFischer X BobFischer = 0

Therefore BobFischer = undecided cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by calculator123(m): 12:48pm On Jan 14, 2021
Op, to answer your question, assume zero to mean nothings/zilch/nada

If you have nothing, and you times it by something, the most intuitive answer is nothing.
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by rufai1440: 12:50pm On Jan 14, 2021
very simple like some one telling you to bring 100 oranges from an empty sack

1 Like

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Abdulmumin412(m): 12:50pm On Jan 14, 2021
STINOS:
First the commonsense explanation:

Say you are giving away free apples. An infinitely big apple tree has sprouted in your garden (it's hypothetical) and you have decided to give away apples to each person who comes by. You have decided that you'll give 1 apple to each person that comes by. If one person comes by, you have given away one apple. If two people come by, you have given away two apples. If seventy-five people come by you have given away seventy-five apples. This is multiplication by 1. If there are n people that come by, 1*n tells you how many apples you have given away.

Say you are giving away 2 apples per person. If one person comes by, you have given away two apples. If two people come by you have given away four apples. If thirty people come by you have given away sixty apples. This is multiplication by 2. So if 'n' is how many people came by, 2*n tells you how many apples you have given away.

Similarly, if you are giving away 100 apples per person, 100*n tells you how many apples you have given away in total where 'n' is how many people came by to collect their apples (everyone loves apples).

If you are giving away 0 apples per person, then regardless of how many people come by, how many apples would you have given out by the end of the day? Logically? None, of course! Hence, 0*n = 0.

This also works the other way around, because of the commutative law for multiplication. So lets say no people come by, i.e., n = 0. Regardless of how many apples you want to give away, the total number of apples you have given away will always be 0. Cause no one comes by to take the apples! So a*0 = 0 where a is how many apples you give away per person, which doesn't matter.

Now for an explanation hinging slightly more on mathematical notation:

Multiplication is basically addition, done over and over again. Multiplying a number n by 2 means adding n twice --> n + n

Multiplying a number by 7 means adding it seven times --> n + n + n + n + n + n + n

Multiplying a number a gazillion times means n + n + n ... (a gazillion n's)

So what you multiply 'n' by tells you the number of n you have to add together. If you multiply n by 0, then there are no n's in the picture. Since you are not adding anything, you are left with nothing, aka 0. So:

2*n = n + n (two n's on this side)
7*n = n + n + n + n + n + n + n (seven n's on this side)
0*n = (how many n's do you see on this side? None.
Genius well done sir I get it
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Princeofasia: 12:50pm On Jan 14, 2021
BobFischer:

10 x 0 = 0
100 x 0 = 0
1000 x 0 = 0

If i have 100 oranges on a table and i multiply it by zero. Why do i suddenly have zero?

100 oranges X 0 = 0
1000 pears X 0 = 0

front page please
if you have 100 oranges and u sqeeze all into a bown then multiply it buy a spoilt orange juice the result will be a spoilt orange juice. that is what makes it 0
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Patoski7(m): 12:51pm On Jan 14, 2021
proxitaly:
Buhari (something) x Buhari brain (empty or nothing) = nothing
That is why even 1000 tenures of Buhari will leave Naija empty or even worse off. You grab?
Pray make chief of army staff no catch u oo u dey use presido give example lol
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by jadyclem(m): 12:51pm On Jan 14, 2021
espn:

2 x 10 =20
10 x 2=20

Did anything change?
Yes something changed.
In the first equation, two is the one increasing itself ten times, while in the second equation ten is the one increasing itself two times. Even though their results are the same, they went through different processes to arrive at that same result. Two went through a longer process than ten in the second equation. Shay you get?
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by tunapawizzy: 12:52pm On Jan 14, 2021
Na word problem: any number multiplied by zero MEANS the value of the number when that number doesn't exist.
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by ekevwe(m): 12:52pm On Jan 14, 2021
sinkhole:
add no orange (0) ten times (10x), that is 10x0, what will you get?
OR
add ten oranges at no time, what will you get?
(Note that multiplication is simply repeated addition)

Zero means nothing. When you multiply any thing by nothing it gives nothing.

That's the law.

Similarly, those drown in River will be bury at the bank.

Using orange as live experiment will not bring out the answer
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by TheGift: 12:52pm On Jan 14, 2021
eddynaira125:
This are mathematical laws that u should obey,

U can't ask God y thou shall not kill

2*3= lll lll. Three in two places

0*3 =. Means 3 in zero places

That's is y we arrive there as our final ans

The first two lines of your post were not necessary to answer the question= 0

The last two lines of your post is a very intelligent and sufficient answer to the question = 1

In the end, it's all Ones and Zeroes.
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Muhylonaire007: 12:52pm On Jan 14, 2021
Cheato64:
if you and 2 of your friends are giving 0 mangoes to share, how many will each get?

Share you said.
I think you've jumped to Division. Stay on course sir. No lose concentration
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by nedekid: 12:52pm On Jan 14, 2021
Guess it means you multiplied it by 0.
O on its own is null.
It means you multiplied with nothing.
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by jadyclem(m): 12:52pm On Jan 14, 2021
Princeofasia:
if you have 100 oranges and u sqeeze all into a bown then multiply it buy a spoilt orange juice the result will be a spoilt orange juice. that is what makes it 0
This your own be as e get o! But the juice go still increase na regardless of whether e spoil or not
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Nobody: 12:54pm On Jan 14, 2021
eddynaira125:
This are mathematical laws that u should obey,

U can't ask God y thou shall not kill

2*3= lll lll. Three in two places

0*3 =. Means 3 in zero places

That's is y we arrive there as our final ans

Not true!! We should be ready to ask questions. God gave a reason why we shouldn't kill . He didn't just gave the law. The reason came before the law Genesis 9:6 , Deuteronomy 12: 23. We obtain knowledge by asking questions and God permit.
And there's a mathematical explanation for his questions. Read through the comments
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:55pm On Jan 14, 2021
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Fortune109: 12:56pm On Jan 14, 2021
Itzurboi:

If you don't have 100 naira, then you have like 93naira cos of bank deduction...
same applies to 1000naira...
Hope you grab my dear bro...

That will be;

93 + 0 which is equals to 93

The OP is asking why;

100 × 0 is equals to 0
Or
1000 × 0 is equals to 0
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by ibrahass: 12:58pm On Jan 14, 2021
BobFischer:

10 x 0 = 0
100 x 0 = 0
1000 x 0 = 0

100 oranges X 0 = 0
1000 pears X 0 = 0

front page please

Multiplication is simply a repetition of addition.
Meaning: 2*3=2+2+2=6,
Also 3*2=3+3=6,

4*2=4+4=8,
Also, 2*4=2+2+2+2=8

This implied that multiplication is commutative,
I.e M*N=N*M

Thus: 0*6=0+0+0+0+0+0=0
Also 6*0=0
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by ayo4dworld(m): 12:59pm On Jan 14, 2021
dawnomike:
The branch of mathematics that proves this is called 'Real Analysis'. You proof by contradiction.
To proof what you asked above in mathematics will take like 2 pages of paper.

2 pages for what na.. � �
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by paycorrect(m): 12:59pm On Jan 14, 2021
Simple:YOU CAN'T GET SOMETHING OUT OF NOTHING

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by CodeTemplar: 1:00pm On Jan 14, 2021
BobFischer:

10 x 0 = 0
100 x 0 = 0
1000 x 0 = 0

100 oranges X 0 = 0
1000 pears X 0 = 0

front page please
Zero is nothing. If you follow the concept of multiplication, you will see that nothing in any amount of quantity remains nothing. Zero is for and signifies emptiness or nothingness.
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by harpahrah(m): 1:01pm On Jan 14, 2021
Mathematics get as e be self.....same way we were told "anything raise to power zero will be equal to 1"......sha gbabe law plenty for mathematics jare
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Princeofasia: 1:01pm On Jan 14, 2021
jadyclem:

This your own be as e get o! But the juice go still increase na regardless of whether e spoil or not
lol, i no want go into this tyoe of explanaton because all the maths wey them teach me for school, na only 2% of it i dey use now cheesy
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by oluwaseunamos33(m): 1:02pm On Jan 14, 2021
becos 0 is vanity
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Exciton(m): 1:02pm On Jan 14, 2021
nairaman66:

An example of 'mathematical proof'

I realize you don't want too much mathematics, but I'd like to point out that it is rather trivial to "prove", using only the basic few axioms (up to the distributive law)

I suppose you do not need much convincing that 0 + 0 = 0 (which itself is a consequence of the additive identity n + 0 = a, with a = 0)

Now, as per the distributive law, n * (b+c) = n*b + n*c

(b and c are two other arbitrary numbers. So there are b oranges and c apples in a bag. A bag is (b+c). If you buy 2 bags, then you get twice the number of oranges and twice the number of apples --> 2(b+c) = 2b + 2c.)

And so n*0 = n* (0+0) = n*0 + n*0, (from the previous bit)

So n*0 = n*0 + n*0

Subtract (n*0) from both sides, giving

0 = n*0

N.B Quora

You could as well exploit the existence of inverses: for each element in a group, there exists a unique element such that: a•b == i, where i is the identity element of the group, and • is an operation on the group elements.

For addition operation, 0 is the identity element and the additive inverse of any element a is -a : a + (-a) = 0.

Using the distributive law:

n*0 = n * (a + (-a)) = n*a + (n*-a) = n*a - n*a = 0.

Thus, n*0 = 0 is basically the consequence of the existence of an additive identity/inverses + the distributive law.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Nobody: 1:03pm On Jan 14, 2021
When one suffers from Over-feeding, one tends to ask stupid questions.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by MrWondah(m): 1:04pm On Jan 14, 2021
Worldliness:

Zero practically means nothing.

So nothing 1 time, nothing 2 times and nothing 1000 times 0r 1million times is still equal to nothing.

Eg) if i dont have 1 naira, if you ask me for 1 naira for 1 time or even 100 times, i still dont have any. that is it.
You can always borrow or beg

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

SS1 Student Brutally Beaten By His Teacher In Yobe State (Disturbing Photo) / Is A 2.2 A Bad Grade For A Graduate? / Davido & Chioma Featured In YABATECH Exam Questions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.