Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,986 members, 7,817,905 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:29 PM

Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? (20055 Views)

Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? / Must See!! The Word NIGGA / Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by aminalib(f): 2:17am On Apr 01, 2011
a few hours ago
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by InkedNerd(f): 2:22am On Apr 01, 2011
@OP: Yes, I do find the word offensive. This is a word that is used to degrade black people yet people use it to glorify stupidity. How often do you see Jews going around calling each other kike? Or hispanic people calling one another spic?Or Japanese people calling each other Japs?

Before you answer, yes I know some hispanic people call one another spics but for the most part, I hear them calling each other niggers.

Its very hypocritical for black people to get upset when people of other ethnic groups use the word. Is that not hypocracy? What makes it ok for you to say it but not a white person?

Its like the whole Don Imus thing, black people use the phrase "Nappy headed hoe" all the time yet the moment Imus said it everyone got up in arms undecided. Even when Asher Roth made the whole "Nappy headed hoes" comment on twitter, people got up in arms but had it been a black MC who had said it.

zionking:

NIGGER= (Naive Individual Glorifying Greed & Encouraging Racism) !!!! " Go figure.  cheesy

lol lol lol, interesting. My sister likes the Tupac version --Nigger [Never Ignorant About Getting Goals Accomplished].

Tosinville:

^^Negro & Nigger are the same jare, negro is just an old word.

No, they are not the same. People use the two words as although they are one in the same but they're not.

Ms. Potato:

Reaaaaallllyyy? undecided Come on now. They are the ones mainly conversing to each other calling each other Nigga. Yet now they take it offensicely? If they dont like it, they should not have talked to each other calling each other Nigga, Wassup Nigga,  Yo Nigga !Nigga please," or "That's my nigga and etc etc. . . Did they not say it?  undecided

What do you expect? Its a;ll about hypocrisy.
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by Tosinville(m): 2:23am On Apr 01, 2011
Ms.Potato
Well you're right but they find the word "nigger" within them as an insult in a joking way so they don't get mad over it & its just like a girl calling her friend a b1tch, they all knows that they're d same so no feud can occur within them but if an outsider who isn't black most especially white call them that, na wahala o!
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by MsPotato(f): 2:24am On Apr 01, 2011
INked Nerd I was wondering that myself. Like Ive seen it oo. They talk to each other calling each other Nigga but when someone else calls them that, they get offensive. I find it strange in a way
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by Tosinville(m): 2:26am On Apr 01, 2011
Aminalib
So how was your day at work?
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by InkedNerd(f): 2:28am On Apr 01, 2011
Ms. Potato:

INked Nerd I was wondering that myself. Like Ive seen it oo. They talk to each other calling each other Nigga but when someone else calls them that, they get offensive. I find it strange in a way

Strange indeed. The only word to describe it is HYPOCRISY
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by MsPotato(f): 2:29am On Apr 01, 2011
Tosin, to be honest with you. We Chinese do not call each other CHinko's or Chinese but when most African people (I know they have) called us chinko's we find it offensively. Thats why we dont use that word to call each other.

But in the word Nigger case, they use it all the time yet when someone calls them that, they take it offensively. I still dont understand this.   undecided The way the blacks talk to each other calling each other Nigga sounded so friendly and welcoming, why wont another person use it?

Its like in Indonesia, people call an elderly man Om means Uncle and it sounds so welcoming and friendly and we Malaysians take that word and whenever we see any Indonesians, we call them Om cause we assume the word Om means friend and we didnt know it means uncle untill Indonesian teenagers, mothers, brothers got offensive and started to vex us. Than  we ask them whats the meaning they say Uncle. So now we call all elderly men Om and they are happy about it.
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by Tosinville(m): 2:30am On Apr 01, 2011
InkedNerd
Who told you negro & nigger are not the same? i dislike folks that argue blindly and you're really good at that. Negro is an old fashion/word for Nigger but some black ppl still make use of the one they prefer, madam.
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by MsPotato(f): 2:31am On Apr 01, 2011
Inked_Nerd:

Strange indeed. The only word to describe it is HYPOCRISY

Uhmmm. , . . I no fit say word oo embarassed lipsrsealed
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by Tosinville(m): 2:35am On Apr 01, 2011
Ms.Potato
Thats niggaz/black ppl for you lol, there some word they prefer within themselves they won't tolerate from any other race na.
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by MsPotato(f): 2:38am On Apr 01, 2011
I hear ya bro. wink
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by BABE3: 2:52am On Apr 01, 2011
@Everybody(lol)
Ermmmm, Its not Hypocrisy! It's History! Nigga was the word these white folks used to call the african slaves then. So if a random white dude calls them Niggas, of course they'll find it offensive! , uhn uhn Coz that ain't right Nigga!(lol) The "slavery tension" is still kind of in existence!
They can call themselves Niggas if they want to, coz they are insensitive to themselves calling themselves that!

Take for example: Mr A. had an accident which led to a deformity (He's a cripple). Him and his family have been together for so long, that they even make jokes out of his condition. They call him a cripple all the time and its like a normal thing. So now, just imagine somebody coming up to him randomly to call him a cripple. Of course he won't take it the same way as he always takes it with his family. He's not gonna take it lightly. duh!

So, same thing goes for the akatas. Put yourselves in their shoes for a minute!
I have akata friends and I call them Niggas, they don't take it offensive atall. bUT, If a white dude should, then that Nigga is dead, lol
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by HaveSense1(m): 2:54am On Apr 01, 2011
People still find offense to that word? Get out of slavery times.

I understand that it was, and still is, an offensive and degrading word, but look at how the world uses it now? The word has been watered down so much that it doesn't even matter anymore. Stop living in the past.

This is the 21st century, if you can't handle what people say to you, go lie in a ditch for a few decades. The world will be better off without you.
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by BABE3: 2:59am On Apr 01, 2011
Havesense1 you truly have sense!

I can understand, again, if AA's are sensitive to white folks calling them that word, but every other person? I just don't get it? What is our business, why are we being so sensitive! 
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by InkedNerd(f): 3:00am On Apr 01, 2011
Tosinville:

Ms.Potato
Thats niggaz/black ppl for you lol, there some word they prefer within themselves they won't tolerate from any other race na.

My dear, you should be the last to be telling someone they argue blindly. The two words have to different meanings but make reference to same people. Its one thing if you say you don't find it offensive, its another thing for you to sit here and say that the words are one in the same.

BABE!:

@Everybody(lol)
Ermmmm, It not Hypocrisy! It's History! Nigga was the word these white folks used to call the african slaves then. So if a random white dude calls them Niggas, of course they'll find it offensive! , uhn uhn Coz that ain't right Nigga!(lol) The "slavery tension" is still kind of in existence!
They can call themselves Niggas if they want to, coz they are insensitive to themselves calling themselves that!

Take for example: Mr A. had an accident which led to a deformity (He's a cripple). Him and his family have been together for so long, that they even make jokes out of his condition. They call him a cripple all the time and its like a normal thing. So now, just imagine somebody coming up to him randomly to call him a cripple. Of course he won't take it the same way as he always takes it with his family. He's not gonna take it lightly. duh!

So, same thing goes for the akatas. Put yourselves in their shoes for a minute!
I have akata friends and I call them Niggas, they don't take it offensive atall. bUT, If a white dude should, then that Nigga is dead, lol

So, is that not hypocrisy? Why is it ok for his family to say it but not a stranger? undecided
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by Nobody: 3:00am On Apr 01, 2011
Not at all. The only time I got angry when that word was used was when a woman used it with the term slavery. "You niggards should be enslaved". Na the slavery term wey vex me, not nigga. Wetin concern me for that one lol. Niggard = person with black/dark skin, does it not? Well, that's my skin color. So what? With that kind of attitude, I make anyone that calls me a nigga powerless.

The meaning of the word has been softened by blacks. If na crime for African Americans to take such a word and make it their own, then arrest me too because I'm just as guilty for using it lol. To each his or her own really. Jesse Jackson can't stop me from using the word, just like Dora "The Explorer" Akunyili can't stop me from using "Naija".
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by BABE3: 3:10am On Apr 01, 2011
@Inky. because it's not! Are you serious? undecided angry grin The two situations  are given off different signals/meanings.  They are just saying the same word!
A black person calling the other a Nigga is just that. It ends there!
A white person calling a black dude a Nigga, oozes off the slavery time/tension. They are still getting over it! Its gonna take time!
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by InkedNerd(f): 3:18am On Apr 01, 2011
BABE!:

@Inky. because it's not! Are you serious? undecided angry grin The two situations  are given off different signals/meanings.  They are just saying the same word!
A black person calling the other a Nigga is just that, It ends there!
A white person calling a black dude a Nigga, oozes off the slavery time/tension. They are still getting over it! Its gonna take time!

Yes I'm serious [seriously, I am]. Whatchu gone do about it homie? You wanna take this outside? Imma lay yo ȧss out angry angry angry [j/k] Make we no fight.

Look, I think the word is offensive but you don't. At the end of the day we have separate views.

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMjlKqJc58Y[/flash]
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by BABE3: 3:28am On Apr 01, 2011
^^^ehn, me I'm not joking o, coz imma whop your a$$. I will finish you within a snap of my fingers. Watin? You no get crase , I get crase pass you! Lmao, LOL,
.Lets leave it there for now. Till we meet in NY! angry angry grin grin grin
Don't forget to drop your number o.
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by InkedNerd(f): 3:31am On Apr 01, 2011
BABE!:

^^^ehn, me I'm not joking o, coz imma whop your a$$. I will finish you within a snap of my fingers. Watin? You no get crase , I get crase pass you! Lmao, LOL,
.Lets leave it there for now. Till we meet in NY! angry angry grin grin grin
Don't forget to drop your number o.

lol, yes we'll settle this in New York. Damn, I was just about to ask you about the whole number thing. So, how are we gonna do this because I don't want weirdos calling you and I embarassed
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by BABE3: 3:37am On Apr 01, 2011
ok, We have to be fast about it. Lets go to a really quite thread. (an old thread). We'll quickly leave it, then we'll modify. Chei(This is so weird, all because of you stalkers, lol)
So I'm gonna leave the details of the thread on my signature------
oR lets just leave it here and be fast about it,
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by InkedNerd(f): 3:39am On Apr 01, 2011
Ok, first I'll give you my screen name and you an send me an e-mail >>>. Lemme know when you have it.
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by ADM1(m): 3:51am On Apr 01, 2011
First of all, what is akata? Is that some negative code word for AAs?

As for the question, I'm Afro-American and I find the word offensive. Here's why: I'm the type of person that never forgets my history. In other words, if it weren't for positive black folks such Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King, Jr. Malcolm X, and the rest, I wouldn't be where I am today. We all benefit from their struggle (black folks are still struggling, but that's another topic). I feel like it's disrespectful to them and to blacks in general when that word is used. No matter how far removed we may be from that era, you can't erase history and you can't erase racism. Sorry, but some people's minds will not be changed. It's also hypocritical to say blacks can use it, but non-blacks cannot. If it's good for the goose, it's good for the gander.

As for the "stop living in the past" argument, I find that argument to be disingenious. Are Jewish people wrong for never forgetting the World War 2 holocaust, even though Jews were not the only people killed? Are some U.S. citizens wrong for saying "never forget 9/11"? If not, then why should Afro-Americans forget? Why should I forget where I come from? Why should I forget about the blood, sweat, and tears my ancestors gave in building the U.S.? Remembering your history is not living in the past. Living in the past is like thinking a black person can't get a job no matter what. Any black person can obviously get a job. But knowing where you come from and using that data to help chart a course for the future is not living in the past.
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by BABE3: 3:52am On Apr 01, 2011
Inked_Nerd:

Ok, first I'll give you my screen name and you an send me an e-mail >>>. Lemme know when you have it.

Sent it, remove it, if you wanna grin
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by Nobody: 4:11am On Apr 01, 2011
I don't understand how people could still be offended. If you're still offended by that word, then they're still winning.
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by InkedNerd(f): 5:03am On Apr 01, 2011
ogugua88:

I don't understand how people could still be offended. If you're still offended by that word, then they're still winning.

Lmaaaaaooooo, you made me think of Charlie Sheen grin

A.D.M.:

First of all, what is akata? Is that some negative code word for AAs?
[b]
As for the question, I'm Afro-American and I find the word offensive. Here's why: I'm the type of person that never forgets my history. In other words, if it weren't for positive black folks such Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King, Jr. Malcolm X, and the rest, I wouldn't be where I am today. We all benefit from their struggle (black folks are still struggling, but that's another topic). I feel like it's disrespectful to them and to blacks in general when that word is used. No matter how far removed we may be from that era, you can't erase history and you can't erase racism. Sorry, but some people's minds will not be changed. It's also hypocritical to say blacks can use it, but non-blacks cannot. If it's good for the goose, it's good for the gander.

As for the "stop living in the past" argument, I find that argument to be disingenious. Are Jewish people wrong for never forgetting the World War 2 holocaust, even though Jews were not the only people killed? Are some U.S. citizens wrong for saying "never forget 9/11"? If not, then why should Afro-Americans forget? Why should I forget where I come from? Why should I forget about the blood, sweat, and tears my ancestors gave in building the U.S.? Remembering your history is not living in the past. Living in the past is like thinking a black person can't get a job no matter what. Any black person can obviously get a job. But knowing where you come from and using that data to help chart a course for the future is not living in the past.
[/b]

Well said A.D.M.

As for the word akata, it means black American.
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by Thirst4Lif: 7:23am On Apr 01, 2011
The thing is, Caucasians do not differentiate between Africans and African Americans. They only see a Black face, PERIOD!

You may not consider yourselves Black or African American but the non-Black people of the world who would refer to a person as 'nigger' DO!
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by Thirst4Lif: 7:35am On Apr 01, 2011
Just a reminder:

When the names of  Rosa Parks, Malcolm X or Dr. King are referenced, please remember those great people did not lead a Civil Rights

Movement by themselves! Many, many Black Americans also fought, had hoses and dogs turned on them and some lost their lives

during that time. The names mentioned above were 'leaders', but there were thousands of 'followers' who made the life African Americans

as well as people from many different lands enjoy! I say this because so many people reference Rosa Park or MLK without giving due

credit to the followers. A Leader cannot exist or be taken seriously without Followers! That's why I laugh when I read statements from

Africans speaking as though the life they covet in the U.S. is something they accomplished by themselves

If it weren't for African Americans, Africans in America could not and would not exist!
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by Tosinville(m): 7:38am On Apr 01, 2011
^^Yup! just because you're a black man,

and its african ppl as black also that differentiate themselves from african americans also calling them slave kids secretly lol
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by Thirst4Lif: 7:49am On Apr 01, 2011
^^Yup! just because you're a black man,

and its african ppl as black also that differentiate themselves from african americans also calling them slave kids secretly lol

And do you think Africans prefer their lives over the 'slave kids' lives? I do not see African Americans scrambling to go to Africa!!

I do, however, see Africans lying, thieving and conniving in an attempt to get to the United States where the 'slave kids' are!
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by Tosinville(m): 7:57am On Apr 01, 2011
Yup! you're right but don't talk is if african-americans also own america, they only nationalized there too through slave trade you know just like some of the whites also say that Barack Obama became a president by opportunity &and he's going to be the first & the last black president in american history lol
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by Thirst4Lif: 8:01am On Apr 01, 2011
Barack Obama became a president by opportunity &and he's going to be the first & the last black president in american history lol

Unfortunately I, unlike you, cannot predict the future so I cannot say he will become the last Black President!

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on what Whites tell you. Whites would have you believe it was impossible

for an African American man to become President of the United States (the Free World) to begin with. We see how that

turned out, didn't we?

Now, can you speak to me of the many great things your Black President has accomplished for you?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

List Of Non-'chi' Igbo Names / Different Masquerades At The New Yam Festival Anambra State / Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.