Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,003 members, 7,817,964 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:16 AM

Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? (20057 Views)

Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? / Must See!! The Word NIGGA / Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by zibe(m): 12:13am On Apr 03, 2011
People saying its not offensive only say it cos they don't really know how the word came about. Its just like someone pointed out before, too much tv or movies make us use words without actually knowing how the word came about and think its cool to use it on just about any one at anytime. I was watching a tv programme on ait one day and a pastor was preaching and used the word "damn" twice at the church (it was a church programme). I kept shaking my head at the level of ignorance.

I take offence at the use of the word. Why must you want to attribute yourself with a word that the whites used to call the slaves while they whipped them to go pick up cotton or while they chased them out of a "whites-only" rest room.
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by paris10: 12:43am On Apr 03, 2011
-
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by THEAMAKA(f): 1:15am On Apr 03, 2011
i find it offensive, somewhat. the word in itself is bad, but it really depends on context.
i get sick and irritated when i hear Africans (mainly the ones in Africa) using the n-word. is it by force to copy EVERYTHING? whether it be positive or negative, some people have this quest to be more "American" than the Americans and start using that dumb word so carelessly.
MY FELLOW AFRICANS, WAKE UP!!!!
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by EzeUche(m): 1:33am On Apr 03, 2011
I find the word offensive and any African or African American who uses it towards me, will be corrected. I am not a "nigga," I am a MAN. A proud IGBO man. You either say my name, or refer to me by my group, but I will never be recognized as some "nigga."  angry
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by horlajide: 3:45am On Apr 03, 2011
i'll like 2 reply wit d words of DAGRIN (ruggedman ft dagrin-emi ni)
He said "ma lo pe mi ni NIGGA,ma lo pe mi ni DOG,o le pe mi ni HOMMIE-mo ma manage e"
Meaning "dont call me NIGGA,dont call me DOG,you can call me HOMMIE-i'll manage it"
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by horlajide: 3:46am On Apr 03, 2011
i'll like 2 reply wit d words of DAGRIN  (ruggedman ft dagrin-emi ni)
He said "ma lo pe mi ni NIGGA,ma lo pe mi ni DOG,o le pe mi ni HOMMIE-mo ma manage e"
Meaning "dont call me NIGGA,dont call me DOG,you can call me HOMMIE-i'll manage it"
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by InkedNerd(f): 10:31am On Apr 03, 2011
horlajide:

i'll like 2 reply wit d words of DAGRIN  (ruggedman ft dagrin-emi ni)

Nice cool

EzeUche:

I find the word offensive and any African or African American who uses it towards me, will be correct. I am not a "nigga," I am a MAN. A proud IGBO man. You either say my name, or refer to me by my group, but I will never be recognized as some "nigga." angry

Eh ya, EzeUche the more I read some of your posts, the more you grow on me kiss

2ndThought:

As offensive as watching our women sexualized and degraded with an uncanny acuity some of our earlier enslavers never really achieved. Yes!

As offensive as the depths some members of the hip generation stoop to, in pursuit of commercial success - case in point:http://www.thebvx.com/2010/11/16/daily-smh-rapper-is-ape-on-album-cover/

Sometimes you've got to wonder if we are now at a point where no "bridge is considered to far"; where ALL rules must be broken to achieve ephemeral highs!

Makes ya wonder huh? undecided
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by paris10: 11:31am On Apr 03, 2011
@All, Lets do some black history here, shall we. (I wrote the original version for that lil boy, Johnny)

AA, Negro, Noer, Niro, Mahogony, Ebony, Nubbian, Black, Nigger, all of these words have the same meaning. Negro is a Spanish noun descending from the word 'Niger'- meaning black. Somewhere in history it was translated to the N-word by those who refer to us as economically, politically and socially disenfranchise instead of the kings and queens, princes and princesses that we really are.

We are the descendant of the continent of Africa , countries like Niger or Nigeria hold our rich heritage. Unfortunately this misinterpretation of our heritage has been perpetuated among our own race. Rather than to obliterate this disrespectful term, we have adapted it as a cultural phrase. You've heard it " whats up my Nigga, or maybe you've said it " get out of my face Nigga". So why are we using this word and use it as our everyday language to communicate to or about ourselves? Let me dispel the myth, as a people, we are neither economically, politically nor socially disenfranchise.

Fifty six years after the emancipation proclamation, there's an emergence of blacks who capitalize in their God-given talent, embodied with a character of self-dedication, they joined together to make a New Negro Movement. And if these names doesn't ring a bell, you might be more familiar with Halem Renaissance which helped created the NAACP, other writers, actors, musicians, poets and others who came together for a new beginning. This explains Renaissance which means re-born.

People like Roy Brown, a name synonymous with the introduction of jazz, Duke Ellington, a jazz musician, Marcus Garvey, a civil right activist and Langston Hughes, a poet have all changed the history of the world. So who are you calling Nigga? We have held such confident offices in the history of this nation and Affirmative Action has got nothing to do with it. According to the definition, A Nigga will never be a Lawyer, a Doctor or a Teacher, yet we have so many AA or Africans who thrive throughout these industries. We also do hold and have held various distinct offices, from chairman of the FCC, to people like Michael Powell, his father Colin Powell, Barack Obama, Nelson Mandela and so on. We all want to be free from oppression yet we call ourselves this derogatory word.

Oprah Winfrey will never have had success or experience or the distinction of being the richest black woman in the world if she'd allowed the termination from her previous job to economically disenfranchise her. Instead, her presence is require in the most elite, social and political domains.

So, I'm sending a message to everyone who knowingly or ignorantly uses this word to describe our people to desist from doing so. Whether you're gangster rap who uses it communicate with your boys, or someone who looks down on those of us who haven't got a college education. Whatever the case, I'm conditioning you to discontinue the use of this word. It is somewhat implausible that forty years after the assassination of Dr Martin Luther King Jr that we still use this word that has no where in our lives and future. So I'm petitioning you to join me to deleting this word around our vocabulary as a people, as a Nation and the world.
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by Nicepoker(m): 1:07pm On Apr 03, 2011
In nigeria calling a person nigger those that do not know the meaning will foolishly smile but those black guys in America will burst out with you instantly
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by Nobody: 5:05pm On Apr 03, 2011
I find the word "Nigga" really offensive. I never use it, and the people I hang out with - black, white or Asian don't use it either. I find it a very derogatory, ignorant term to use, regardless of the context.
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by EzeUche(m): 5:13pm On Apr 03, 2011
Inked_Nerd:

Eh ya, EzeUche the more I read some of your posts, the more you grow on me kiss

embarassed

I'm not that bad, I just have a little bad reputation in the Politics section.
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by favouredjb(f): 6:44pm On Apr 03, 2011
strolls in, ll be back
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by KDULAR: 10:33pm On Apr 03, 2011
"They said we N_I_G_G_E_R we are much more soon we choose to ignore the obvious they didn't acknowledge, we are scholars long before the colleges".from NAS
Yes the origin is 0offensive angry angry angry however, it remind us of what it used to be . The word nigger can be said if it's not meant to offend anybody , (Do I mean like a slave master - N_I_G_G_ER no I'm ganster), NAS.

The use of the word should be interpreted in context and not the original.
According to what i used to hear sometime when i was younger, the word Ijesa was actually Ije Orisa and it means the food for Orisa, meaning they were the choice for sacrifice to the Gods of the ife. But centuries back they seized to be and the name stuck and they are one of the biggest sub-tribes in Yoruba and where the Penticostal movement started in Nigeria!
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by InkedNerd(f): 12:41am On Apr 04, 2011
EzeUche:

embarassed

I'm not that bad, I just have a little bad reputation in the Politics section.

Its ok. You have a special place in my heart kiss
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by hustla(m): 11:21am On Apr 04, 2011
if a white dude calls m nigga,ill bitchhhhslap him,buh a black,nah,jus normal ish,
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by PhysicsMHD(m): 5:35pm On Apr 04, 2011
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by BABE3: 8:17pm On Apr 04, 2011
Sha my own is that this "Nigga tension" should be between the whites and Black Americans. The rest of you's that are following the crowd , what is your business! The white's didn't forcefully carry you to America in their ships, did they? You all got lucky enough to still be An African, or rather you were lucky enough to not have experienced what the real "Niggas" went through! So, pls let's just squash it and move on! (If you wish. I already have cheesy)
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by chillbabe(f): 10:14pm On Apr 04, 2011
I only read the first the post and i had enough. The word nigga means no identitie so it is offensief only some african will allow ppl to call them that. If your an african born out of slaves u wont allow ppl to call u that. Go and do research before posting something like this and hipped it. No one calls me that
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by chamotex(m): 10:39pm On Apr 04, 2011
You niggas are still here?
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by InkedNerd(f): 10:39pm On Apr 04, 2011
BABE!:

Sha my own is that this "Nigga tension" should be between the whites and Black Americans. The rest of you's that are following the crowd , what is your business! The white's didn't forcefully carry you to America in their ships, did they? You all got lucky enough to still be An African, or rather you were lucky enough to not have experienced what the real "Niggas" went through! So, pls let's just squash it and move on! (If you wish. I already have cheesy)

BABE!, the word has translations in other languages so there's no way that it can or should be between people in America. When the word was first created, there was no rule or law that said "We'll only use this on people in America" The word is used in a derogatory manner towards a black people as a whole--so whether you're in the Europe, Africa, or South America, the word and the meaning behind it still carries on. I saw a Portuguese movie with a man who called a black boy a nigger--I'm quite sure that when he was using that word he didn't say to himself "Gee, he's not a black American so perhaps I won't use that word".
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by Nobody: 2:08am On Apr 05, 2011
Well in American hip hop black americans refer to themselves as niggahs and their women as bitches and hoes and even Eminem uses the N on a daily basis in his videos.To me it sounds retarded but then its black american culture.Why should we africans be imitating black americans and refering to ourselves as niggahs.Even jamaicans have an identity and they dont refer to themselves as niggers or coons in their music.Any african who uses the N word is a wannabe just like those funny looking africans who i see wearing gold chains around their neck with oversized trousers sagging below their asses
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by gididi: 4:57pm On Apr 05, 2011
somebody from nigeria ,kidnapped or handed over by his or her parent and shipped or cargo abroad as a slave is called a nigga.
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by olalekan91(m): 6:35pm On Apr 05, 2011
like me i don't know wot is the meaning but i think sincse people have been called "GUYS" i don't see the reason for not being called NIGGA
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by InkedNerd(f): 8:18pm On Apr 05, 2011
olalekan91:

like me i don't know wot is the meaning but i think sincse people have been called "GUYS" i don't see the reason for not being called NIGGA

Oh so "guys" and "nigga" go hand in hand abi? Perhaps you need to do research before you even make a comment like that. If you don't know something then educate yourself.
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by Nobody: 9:45am On Apr 06, 2011
Anyone who truly doesn't mind being called Nigger / Nigga / Nigguh, and also uses such a derogatory term on others, just because they're black, belongs in this forum:

http://niggermania.net/forum/

Never seen so much online hate and racism.
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by ezeagu(m): 9:16pm On Apr 06, 2011
Nice promotion, you just gave that website a few more hits than it would have. sad
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by Nobody: 11:24pm On Apr 06, 2011
Yes i think that it is offensive; who would of thought that after centuries of it being used as a derogatory term to address our alleged "subhuman nature", we would then turn around and use it to address each other. i havae yet to hear caucasians calling each othe "cracker" or chinese calling each other "chink". There are so many positive ways to holler at each other (and if you cannot think of any, just use the names we are born with) that we can afford to leave " nigga" out of our vernacular. Just sayin'
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by InkedNerd(f): 2:35am On Apr 07, 2011
caribchic:

Yes i think that it is offensive; who would of thought that after centuries of it being used as a derogatory term to address our alleged "subhuman  nature", we would then turn around and use it to address each other. i havae yet to hear caucasians calling each othe "cracker" or chinese calling each other "chink". There are so many positive ways to holler at each other (and if you cannot think of any, just use the names we are born with) that we can afford to leave " nigga" out of our vernacular. Just sayin'

Well said!!! I never hear Jews callin' each other kike!!! The rational behind the support of that word is crazy tongue
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by Nobody: 9:59am On Apr 07, 2011
ezeagu:

Nice promotion, you just gave that website a few more hits than it would have. sad

You know that wasn't my intention. Just one of the many reasons I find the N-word offensive, which is why I pulled the site up as an example.
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by Somaliland(m): 7:04pm On Apr 07, 2011
Interesting topic. But I think this all has a standing with one major thing: Was Nigeria involved in the slave trade?
To a degree yes. So out of respect for your lost brothers maybe this word is sensitive and doesn't really have any purpose.
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by THEMOOR: 8:18pm On Apr 07, 2011
zibe:

People saying its not offensive only say it cos they don't really know how the word came about. Its just like someone pointed out before, too much tv or movies make us use words without actually knowing how the word came about and think its cool to use it on just about any one at anytime. I was watching a tv programme on ait one day and a pastor was preaching and used the word "damn" twice at the church (it was a church programme). I kept shaking my head at the level of ignorance.

I take offence at the use of the word. Why must you want to attribute yourself with a word that the whites used to call the slaves while they whipped them to go pick up cotton or while they chased them out of a "whites-only" rest room.

I concur. The word nigger is not even part of my vocabulary. Its a byword with negative connotations really an object of scorn. It was first used as a derogatory and racist word for African slaves and their descendants. In order to deafricanize these slaves they used the N word. It really means nothing or non existent. Think about it were is nigger land. There's no such thing but there is a land call Africa. This word has racist origin. The N word is just like some other different words has changed over time. Words go threw different meanings as history past by. For example the word nigger has been reclaimed by black youths particularly in the hip-hop culture. It clearly shows their ignorance. They even try to justify their ignorance by saying its okay for a black person to use it but not okay for whites to call a black person a nigger. If you use it in it's original meaning it means nothing but a slave!!!!!!!!!! and you or consider as nothing but property of the slave master.

Speaking of the slave trade in Nigeria the infamous slave trade in Nigeria is not known to many people like the slave trade in Ghana, Senegal, Togo and Benin. Nigeria and Ghana were former British colonies. But there was a slave port in Nigeria one is in ancient town of Badagry Nigeria near Lagos. Others were Calabar and Benin. Most of these slaves were Igbo and Yoruba, with significant concentrations of Hausa, Ibibio, and other ethnic groups.
Re: Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? by PhysicsMHD(m): 8:40pm On Apr 07, 2011
THEMOOR:

I concur. The word nigger is not even part of my vocabulary. Its a byword with negative connotations really an object of scorn. It was first used as a derogatory and racist word for African slaves and their descendants. In order to deafricanize these slaves they used the N word. It really means nothing or non existent. Think about it were is nigger land. There's no such thing but there is a land call Africa. This word has racist origin. The N word is just like some other different words has changed over time. Words go threw different meanings as history past by. For example the word nigger has been reclaimed by black youths particularly in the hip-hop culture. It clearly shows their ignorance. They even try to justify their ignorance by saying its okay for a black person to use it but not okay for whites to call a black person a nigger. If you use it in it's original meaning it means nothing but a slave!!!!!!!!!! and you or consider as nothing but property of the slave master.

Speaking of the slave trade in Nigeria the infamous slave trade in Nigeria is not known to many people like the slave trade in Ghana, Senegal, Togo and Benin. Nigeria and Ghana were former British colonies. But there was a slave port in Nigeria  one is in ancient town of Badagry Nigeria near Lagos. Others were Calabar and Benin. Most of these slaves were Igbo and Yoruba, with significant concentrations of Hausa, Ibibio, and other ethnic groups.

Benin was not a slave port. Itsekiri and Ijaw traders who operated in the periphery of the Benin empire can hardly qualify Benin itself (Benin proper) for the title of a slave port. Slavery was mostly irrelevant to the pre-colonial Benin economy and trade.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-292305.224.html#msg7377080

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

List Of Non-'chi' Igbo Names / Different Masquerades At The New Yam Festival Anambra State / Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.