Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,460 members, 7,816,079 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:56 AM

You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? (3825 Views)

I Lied To My Igbo Guy That I Am Pregnant..will He Forgive Me?? / Ever Lied To Your Romantic Partner? / Ever Lied To Your Partner And Get Caught?. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by chic2pimp(m): 1:32pm On Apr 02, 2011
Never had to and hopefully will never have to.
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by Nobody: 1:38pm On Apr 02, 2011
chic2pimp:

Never had to and hopefully will never have to.

unless it's a matter of life and death, you shouldn't smiley
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by Araboy(m): 1:55pm On Apr 02, 2011
@ Inked Tell them Naija for life I m glad you 're not from Kaduna state grin
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by Natasha2(f): 2:04pm On Apr 02, 2011
smiley wink cheesy grin angry sad shocked cool tongue embarassed lipsrsealed undecided kiss cry
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by aminalib(f): 2:06pm On Apr 02, 2011
Araboy:

@ Inked Tell them Naija for life I m glad you 're not from Kaduna state grin

euh , tu me dit que vous étiez haïtienne
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by MrCork17: 2:11pm On Apr 02, 2011
aminalib:

euh ,  tu me dit que vous étiez haïtienne

madam, we dont spek IBO in hear. We spek English!!!  angry
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by chic2pimp(m): 2:25pm On Apr 02, 2011
MzDarkSkin:

unless it's a matter of life and death, you shouldn't smiley
Exactly!!!
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by iice(f): 2:41pm On Apr 02, 2011
To an interest? No. . .off the bat before conversation reaches 2mins, i've already said, i'm Nigerian.
To some irritating goon? Yes. . .i like to use Chad which is not very known to many people. . .quickly sends them the other direction. . .desired result.
I have heard lots of people call out whatever, change their names and what not. No be today. . .i just laugh and tell them, whatever suits you. If na fellow Naija pesin you no fit tell, i wonder what other things you tell people who have no clue.
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by Araboy(m): 3:31pm On Apr 02, 2011
@ Amina are you drunk? Je t ai jamais dis que je suis Haitian  Je suis francais d origine Arabe et toi tu es quoi ?
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by aminalib(f): 5:55pm On Apr 02, 2011
Araboy:

@ Amina are you drunk? Je t ai jamais dis que je suis Haitian  Je suis francais d origine Arabe et toi tu es quoi ?

Non, je ne suis pas ivre , je ne suis pas boire ou fumer , pays arabe wat parlez-vous ,
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by NDelta(m): 8:06pm On Apr 02, 2011
I once went to a club and my friend started chatting with this white girl. She eventually asked the question so where are you from? My friend replied oh am from Trinidad and T. I just coughed loudly lol it was so funny.
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by Tosinville(m): 9:40pm On Apr 02, 2011
Is that Liberian language up there or what?
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by aminalib(f): 9:44pm On Apr 02, 2011
^^^^no there is no language called liberian, dialect you mean? NO, its french
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by Nobody: 9:51pm On Apr 02, 2011
N.Delta:

I once went to a club and my friend started chatting with this white girl. She eventually asked the question so where are you from? My friend replied oh am from Trinidad and T. I just coughed loudly lol it was so funny.

TELL THEM.
Cause apparently I am making *ish up.
exactly. it is very sad indeed.

so what did u say to your friend? lol
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by Tosinville(m): 10:01pm On Apr 02, 2011
ok amina
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by aminalib(f): 10:02pm On Apr 02, 2011
how u been
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by Tosinville(m): 10:06pm On Apr 02, 2011
I'm good, u?
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by aminalib(f): 10:26pm On Apr 02, 2011
im ok relaxing
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by Tosinville(m): 10:41pm On Apr 02, 2011
Thats kewl
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by NDelta(m): 6:01am On Apr 03, 2011
@msdarkskin
TELL THEM.
Cause apparently I am making *ish up.
exactly. it is very sad indeed.

so what did u say to your friend? lol

we just laughed about it later
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by dayokanu(m): 6:24am On Apr 03, 2011
The reverse once happened.

I was supposed to meet an AA lady for a date, I was late and before I came some dude was already on the table talking to her.

She was excited as I came and she introduced the guy that he is also Nigerian.

I looked at him and knew he wasnt Nigerian. He had a red Jeans with a green and yellow top and had dreadlocks on his head.
I knew Nigerians dnt dress like that.

I spoke pidgin to him and he couldnt respond. I ask where he is from he said Lagos. pronouncing it like LAH-GOS instead of LAY-GOS

Later he came to tell me that he is from Africa but not Nigeria.

If the guy had scammed the girl, the girl would still have said a Nigerian scammed her though

OP, I dont blame ppl who have prejudices against ppl based on their country.

Even in Nigeria if someone told you he is Hausa, You wont be surprised to see Southerners tell him "You are so different cos you speak good ENglish"

Lets be honest, If you meet a guy and ask for his country and he says Afghanistan or Iraq, what do you say/think instantly
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by ShyOne(f): 6:27am On Apr 03, 2011
I can definitely understand those who are Nigerians - either lying and/or not willing to unveil, avoid answering because in all honesty.  I thought African Americans were discriminated against.

Compared to Nigerians in the U.S. - Nigerians face more discrimination here than do African Americans from what I see.  If I tell 10 out of 10 people that I am dating a Nigerian male - IT IS ALL NEGATIVE.  And shockingly this has been my personal experience.  For the past year - it has been nothing but negatives.  My family after some months of my refusing to listen and him stepping up and disproving rumors about Nigeria and Nigerians - my family now loves this man - but it took several months for them to accept my seeing him.

These are Caucasian professionals in the banking industry, teaching field, postal services, legal spheres.  UPS called me and held up a package (an envelope) that I sent to Nigeria - it was intercepted and I had to go through clearance that delayed the envelope - that was to arrive in Nigeria in preparation for a meeting.

Anything I send to Nigeria - has to be accompanied by a receipt of purchase - proving that I haven't stolen the item to ship to family members in Nigera. (I have no family members in Nigeria)  It is ridiculous.  The scrutiny I have been under since dating this Nigerian.  I have never, ever experienced anything to this level.

I spoke to a Nigerian Freight Forwarder in New Jersey (the owner) and all of his employees have been investigated by the FBI and some of his countrymen (who came from Nigeria to work for him) have been jailed.

When he sends packages to me from Nigeria -  none of the packages need receipts or invoices included.

Most Americans view Nigerians overall in a very negative light.  I don't waste time defending my relationship to people - Whether they are American or Nigerian.  But it was quite an eye-opener for me and for him.  In all honesty, I was completely unaware as I don't watch much television, news or public opinions or documentaries.  So I am so happy I knew nothing about Nigeria negative or positive - or I would have missed him.
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by roymary: 7:20am On Apr 03, 2011
Yes, we reluctantly acknowledge our Nationality. I told her i'm Zambian or i woulda lost the punni.

I'm a proud African but Not always a proud Nigerian. sad
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by ragdollz: 9:33am On Apr 03, 2011
Shy-One:

I can definitely understand those who are Nigerians - either lying and/or not willing to unveil, avoid answering because in all honesty.  I thought African Americans were discriminated against.

Compared to Nigerians in the U.S. - Nigerians face more discrimination here than do African Americans from what I see.  If I tell 10 out of 10 people that I am dating a Nigerian male - IT IS ALL NEGATIVE.  And shockingly this has been my personal experience.  For the past year - it has been nothing but negatives.  My family after some months of my refusing to listen and him stepping up and disproving rumors about Nigeria and Nigerians - my family now loves this man - but it took several months for them to accept my seeing him.

These are Caucasian professionals in the banking industry, teaching field, postal services, legal spheres.  UPS called me and held up a package (an envelope) that I sent to Nigeria - it was intercepted and I had to go through clearance that delayed the envelope - that was to arrive in Nigeria in preparation for a meeting.

Anything I send to Nigeria - has to be accompanied by a receipt of purchase - proving that I haven't stolen the item to ship to family members in Nigera. (I have no family members in Nigeria)  It is ridiculous.  The scrutiny I have been under since dating this Nigerian.  I have never, ever experienced anything to this level.

I spoke to a Nigerian Freight Forwarder in New Jersey (the owner) and all of his employees have been investigated by the FBI and some of his countrymen (who came from Nigeria to work for him) have been jailed.

When he sends packages to me from Nigeria -  none of the packages need receipts or invoices included.

Most Americans view Nigerians overall in a very negative light.  I don't waste time defending my relationship to people - Whether they are American or Nigerian.  But it was quite an eye-opener for me and for him.  In all honesty, I was completely unaware as I don't watch much television, news or public opinions or documentaries.  So I am so happy I knew nothing about Nigeria negative or positive - or I would have missed him.

Lol Americans are known to be overzealous when it comes to matters of "national security" or financial fraud. You should see how they treat folks from muslim nations in the central Asian areas eg Afghan n co grin. I'd prefer to be a Nigerian than a far-end muslim national in America right now, thanks grin
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by Odunnu: 9:54am On Apr 03, 2011
You guys are doing 'nationality' not knowing that even in Nigeria, people lie about their ethnicity.
I'v heard hausas claim not to be because folks call them Aboki. Me funny enough I claim to be aboki afterall, I was born and grew up in the north.
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by adconline(m): 6:54pm On Apr 03, 2011
How about every Nigerian who claims to come from Lagos whenever he/she is outside Naija?
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by Xfactor2(f): 8:23pm On Apr 03, 2011
I worked for an insurance company managing training and on about to be promoted I lost my job because I'm married to a Nigerian. They made our lives miserable, listening to calls, checking work credit cards and asking who went when when, petrol cards the same, mind you I was using these things in exactly the same way for 5 years prior to them finding out that Ewurum is actually Nigerian. What really got me off was when they wanted me t pay back all company car use and petrol during the last trimester of my pregnancy (2006) and it was my husband driving me to work as they could see on the cameras. So I suppose we should have been using our private car for work activities which they gave me a company car for.

At about that time 2008 - there was the Xenophobia thing. I was beaten by two police because of being married to him and I was pregnant with our second child. they told me to go back with the dog wherever he comes from - they had a gun to his head daring him to move while they beat me, the sad thing is and he was accompanying me to a business meeting coz I said I didn't feel safe going alone, little did I know. To this day I'm convinced those cops were high on something. I've almost been highjacked twice and I was never even near as scared as I was when I saw the hatred in those cops eyes. They case fell through the cracks as expected.

Three days ago I went to home affairs to organise my two year old's passport and I ask the guy how long it takes to get an emergency one: the white guy tells me same day and then asks out of interest where am I going? I tell him west africa and he says where exacly, I tell him Nigeria, his exact words: "why do decent people like you throw yourselves away to such rubish. all these people should be shipped back to where they come from they are like cockroaches infesting everywhere."

I have never cussed at anyone so much in my life. I was so angry, he had to remove himself.
So no, Nigerians do not have a good reputation. I was listening to a Black American artist being interviewed here a coupla days ago and they asked him why black americans are so arrogant. he said because decent ppl don't travel out of SA and these Nigerians don't represent Africa over there (all you see is Nigerian chicks in flea markets).

People it is a problem. In by business I don't mention to my clients that I'm married to a Nigerian any more otherwise you don't get business with corporate, when there are dinners and galas, mostly I go alone or with a friend. Thank God my hubby understands that money comes first so we good like that. Pride is not gonna give us the life we live but something does need to be done.
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by deniyor: 8:37pm On Apr 03, 2011
I have claimed to be from many places b4. It happens when I try picking up chics for the one nightys and distort names and origins in case friends are comparing stories. Usually goes with a nice story line too. If they don't know my name or info, no way they are looking for me again. It has nothing to do with Nigerian image. Hell I would rather be from Nigeria than any of the places I claim.
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by blacklion(m): 9:16pm On Apr 03, 2011
If you ashamed to identify with your husband's nationality that you even hide it, I strongly advise and encourage you to divorce your husband and marry your fellow SA man so you will not have to hide your shame any more.

As for your wimp of a husband that denies his fatherland just so that he can eat for today, tell him to stay back in SA. We don't need his type back in Nigeria.

Nonsense and ingredient!
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by adconline(m): 2:18am On Apr 04, 2011
[b]I worked for an insurance company managing training and on about to be promoted I lost my job because I'm married to a Nigerian. They made our lives miserable, listening to calls, checking work credit cards and asking who went when when, petrol cards the same, mind you I was using these things in exactly the same way for 5 years prior to them finding out that Ewurum is actually Nigerian. What really got me off was when they wanted me t pay back all company car use and petrol during the last trimester of my pregnancy (2006) and it was my husband driving me to work as they could see on the cameras. So I suppose we should have been using our private car for work activities which they gave me a company car for.

At about that time 2008 - there was the Xenophobia thing. I was beaten by two police because of being married to him and I was pregnant with our second child. they told me to go back with the dog wherever he comes from - they had a gun to his head daring him to move while they beat me, the sad thing is and he was accompanying me to a business meeting coz I said I didn't feel safe going alone, little did I know. To this day I'm convinced those cops were high on something. I've almost been highjacked twice and I was never even near as scared as I was when I saw the hatred in those cops eyes. They case fell through the cracks as expected.

Three days ago I went to home affairs to organise my two year old's passport and I ask the guy how long it takes to get an emergency one: the white guy tells me same day and then asks out of interest where am I going? I tell him west africa and he says where exacly, I tell him Nigeria, his exact words: "why do decent people like you throw yourselves away to such rubish. all these people should be shipped back to where they come from they are like cockroaches infesting everywhere."

I have never cussed at anyone so much in my life. I was so angry, he had to remove himself.
So no, Nigerians do not have a good reputation. I was listening to a Black American artist being interviewed here a coupla days ago and they asked him why black americans are so arrogant. he said because decent ppl don't travel out of SA and these Nigerians don't represent Africa over there (all you see is Nigerian chicks in flea markets).

People it is a problem. In by business I don't mention to my clients that I'm married to a Nigerian any more otherwise you don't get business with corporate, when there are dinners and galas, mostly I go alone or with a friend. Thank God my hubby understands that money comes first so we good like that. Pride is not gonna give us the life we live but something does need to be done.
[/b]

This sounds like Jim Crow era
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by deniyor: 3:09am On Apr 04, 2011
blacklion:

If you ashamed to identify with your husband's nationality that you even hide it, I strongly advise and encourage you to divorce your husband and marry your fellow SA man so you will not have to hide your shame any more.

As for your wimp of a husband that denies his fatherland just so that he can eat for today, tell him to stay back in SA. We don't need his type back in Nigeria.

Nonsense and ingredient!

WTF?!?!?!?!?
Probably coming from someone who has not faced racism or job bias outside naija b4. Useless
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by Nobody: 3:22am On Apr 04, 2011
No. But as long as it is for my interest and advancement, i have no other choice but to lie, if the need arises.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

She Doesn't Know That I'm The Man That Rape Her Years Ago / Why Are Igbo Women So Desirable? / 10 'bro Code' Commandments Every Man Should Follow

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.