Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,798 members, 7,820,798 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:55 PM

Kamala Harris: Why The Idolization? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Kamala Harris: Why The Idolization? (7681 Views)

Abortion Row:biden And Harris Blast US Supreme Court Move To 'deny Women's Right (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kamala Harris: Why The Idolization? by bukatyne(f): 10:57am On Jan 22, 2021
Saintmary:
I smell envy.

1. To get picked for the position of Vice President, you must have achieved success in some key positions. Not just to hold these positions, but to be innovative, and be known for upholding suitable values and principles.

2. Kamala Harris has proven herself, that's why she was picked, and, being a running mate means you have to have a strong political base to canvass votes, and also be a darling to a lot of people in several demographics whose votes are needed.

Personally, I respect the efforts this woman has put in. It's undeniable.
Congratulations to her.

Envy cheesy She can be my mom.

1. I celebrate the hard work she has put in the key positions. Those are achievements worthy of hyping.

2. No matter how 'strong' the base of a running mate is, if the President doesn't win, she would be home dancing with her strong base.
Re: Kamala Harris: Why The Idolization? by femi4: 10:59am On Jan 22, 2021
bukatyne:

Obama contested for the position and won.

Kamala was a running mate. So her 'success' was hinged on Joe Biden's win.

If Joe lost, she would not be VP.

No matter what people think of Pence, he is out of there because Trump did not win.

Prior to the VP stuff, she has achieved lots of stuff.

Lol, you think all the people voted for democrat because of the person of Biden. Election is bigger and more intriguing than that, your choice of VP is as important as the presidential candidate

4 Likes

Re: Kamala Harris: Why The Idolization? by bukatyne(f): 11:01am On Jan 22, 2021
pocohantas:

1. Maybe, maybe not. It is an unlikely combination to start with. The combination that won was the winning one and that is what matters at this point. They take the victory and the losses together.

2. The second part was for the person making it a gender thing. People will typically celebrate one of the kind in such position, especially when it is a first.

3. Allow them enjoy their win. You were asking about Igbo presidency? Hian! When that happens don’t open a thread like this o. Those guys in Politics section would find you. grin grin

1. They sink or swim together however one party (President) determines the result.

2. Celebrations are fine, what I don't get is the hype and making her position something she 'won'. She rode on Biden's win. IMHO, the things she has achieved via hard work, grace, smart work etc. are more worth hyping.

3. cheesy grin
Re: Kamala Harris: Why The Idolization? by bukatyne(f): 11:06am On Jan 22, 2021
femi4:
Lol, you think all the people voted for democrat because of the person of Biden. Election is bigger and more intriguing than that, your choice of VP is as important as the presidential candidate

Do you think a Trump/ Kamala ticket would have won?

1 Like

Re: Kamala Harris: Why The Idolization? by femi4: 11:10am On Jan 22, 2021
bukatyne:

Do you think a Trump/ Kamala ticket would have won?
Yes. The black community would have gone for the ticket

The feminist will go in that direction as well

Tinubu advised APC on Muslim/Christian ticket, hence the emergence of a Pastor vp instead of Fashola

2 Likes

Re: Kamala Harris: Why The Idolization? by Magnoliaa(f): 11:12am On Jan 22, 2021
bukatyne:

1. If Joe Biden lost, would Kamala Harris be VP?

No. You inferred that she didn't do anything in particular to win. Just hinged to Biden's fail or loss. Sisi explained the joint effort of both. Biden's loss or win would be hers, too.

And she's being celebrated because it's a woman, first the time, doing the things she's done, in that position.

Certainly, her representing women played a role in the support and votes they got.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kamala Harris: Why The Idolization? by bukatyne(f): 11:14am On Jan 22, 2021
femi4:
Yes. The black community would have gone for the ticket

The feminist will go in that direction as well

Tinubu advised APC on Muslim/Christian ticket, hence the emergence of a Pastor vp instead of Fashola

Feminists who hated Trump would vote for him because of Kamala?

Buhari already had the goodwill of the people, people were tired of Jonathan/PDP.

Making Osibanjo the VP was a good strategy however, I do not agree it was enough to secure the ticket.

Would Jonathan/Osibanjo or Atiku/Osibanjo have won the ticket?
Re: Kamala Harris: Why The Idolization? by Magnoliaa(f): 11:17am On Jan 22, 2021
bukatyne:

1. They sink or swim together however one party (President) determines the result.

2. Celebrations are fine, what I don't get is the hype and making her position something she 'won'. She rode on Biden's win. IMHO, the things she has achieved via hard work, grace, smart work etc. are more worth hyping.

3. cheesy grin

I think you're being mischievous honestly... Like people always point out. So WHO isn't hyping her hard work, grace and smartness?

All of those aren't separated from the fact that she's a woman. She's a woman, with such qualities. So when you or I claim/infer she's celebrated because she's a woman - you are seeing her other achievements as being separate from her.

She's a woman WITH such qualities already. So this is not about undue or unmerited praises for her.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kamala Harris: Why The Idolization? by pocohantas(f): 11:22am On Jan 22, 2021
bukatyne:

3. cheesy grin

I understand your point. However we all know politicians are no fools. They observe the metrics and trends before picking their VP. So it is really unfair to try separating then after a win. The things she achieved on her own helped make her a worthy candidate for this position. Remember Okonjo’s recent WTO saga? She had enough on her CV already, but Nigerians carry the matter for head. Let’s also not forget her position goes beyond the election. They still have a whole lot of decision-making to do together.

9 Likes

Re: Kamala Harris: Why The Idolization? by bukatyne(f): 11:24am On Jan 22, 2021
Magnoliaa:

I think you're being mischievous honestly... Like people always point out. So WHO isn't hyping her hard work, grace and smartness?

All of those aren't separated from the fact that she's a woman. She's a woman, with such qualities. So when you or I claim/infer she's celebrated because she's a woman - you are seeing her other achievements as being separate from her.

She's a woman WITH such qualities already. So this is not about undue or unmerited praises for her.

You think I am mischievous and you still bother to engage?

Toor!

If Kamala was MALE, in the same circumstances and hyped same way, I would think this way.

Remove Kamala and put Jamal in the position.

Perhaps you would understand the thread better.
Re: Kamala Harris: Why The Idolization? by femi4: 11:25am On Jan 22, 2021
bukatyne:

Feminists who hated Trump would vote for him because of Kamala?

Buhari already had the goodwill of the people, people were tired of Jonathan/PDP.

Making Osibanjo the VP was a good strategy however, I do not agree it was enough to secure the ticket.

Would Jonathan/Osibanjo or Atiku/Osibanjo have won the ticket?
The whole RCCG went for Buhari cos of Osinbajo(one of theirs)

Now, think of other denominations across the Country.

Bubu goodwill only secured the north

You don't understand the power of RACE. Your colour comes first before your gender
Black lives matter carries more weight than any feminist agenda

4 Likes

Re: Kamala Harris: Why The Idolization? by Magnoliaa(f): 11:26am On Jan 22, 2021
bukatyne:

Envy cheesy She can be my mom.

1. I celebrate the hard work she has put in the key positions. Those are achievements worthy of hyping.

2. No matter how 'strong' the base of a running mate is, if the President doesn't win, she would be home dancing with her strong base.

So you feel she's good in other areas/her greats works are worthy of being hyped, and also think she's idolized unnecessarily?

You acknowledge also that she's done other notable things, and has other qualities but is riding on Biden's success as an "attached?"

Let's celebrate her any way we want. You might say you do not care for American politics, or who wins -- but you care enough to write a topic now when it's a woman, because I was going to suggest that creating a topic on the good things you think are worth hyping about Kamala might have been the way to go. You should have celebrated her the way you deem fit, and that would have gone a long way, with your voice added to the bulk of different women's opinions on equality — that you don't necessarily subscribe to.

I see you hold nothing against Kamala Harris and her being a woman, or equality, yeah?

So why this "thread?"

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kamala Harris: Why The Idolization? by Magnoliaa(f): 11:32am On Jan 22, 2021
bukatyne:

You think I am mischievous and you still bother to engage?

Toor!

If Kamala was MALE, in the same circumstances and hyped same way, I would think this way.

Remove Kamala and put Jamal in the position.

Perhaps you would understand the thread better.

I engaged not necessarily because of you. cheesy

So allllllll this time, where are your threads on male celebrities, and such that are getting hype they do not deserve?

I have not seen, and maybe if you can point me to one, then I might be "barking up the wrong tree" and admit your objectivity in this case.

I have explained why being FEMALE is a factor in her being celebrated "exceedingly." That doesn't say that she brought "femaleness" alone to the table.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kamala Harris: Why The Idolization? by 99thEnemy(m): 11:37am On Jan 22, 2021
Denique:

Hahaha @99thEnemy, should we tell her? grin

Let's take this off here so as not to derail the thread.

Just let her keep wondering. grin

@Bolded .... DM?
Re: Kamala Harris: Why The Idolization? by Denique(f): 11:41am On Jan 22, 2021
99thEnemy:

@Bolded .... DM?
Yes, pls.

1 Like

Re: Kamala Harris: Why The Idolization? by 99thEnemy(m): 11:47am On Jan 22, 2021
bukatyne:

Was it not same Electoral College system that confirmed Biden as POTUS? cheesy

Na turn by turn.

Biden won Trump with popular votes too by 7,058,909 to be precise. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Kamala Harris: Why The Idolization? by 99thEnemy(m): 11:50am On Jan 22, 2021
bukatyne:

Don't try yourself.

I don't care if you are both sleeping on same bed or twins angry

If your follow works out, my cut is 15%.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Kamala Harris: Why The Idolization? by Hathor5(f): 11:50am On Jan 22, 2021
For a woman of color, the daughter of immigrants, to achieve what she has achieved, to even be considered for the position of the VP is a GREAT achievement. Try to become the mayor of a town and see what it takes to assume a leading position on this scale and now consider that this woman is now the most powerful woman in the world.

It gladdens my heart. cheesy And it's worthy of celebration. 50% of the world population that is female can't be aptly represented by men only. She has set a good example to women of color, women in general, immigrants and young girls needing orientation. It is much harder to become what she has become with her background (female, black, daughter of immigrants) even if you are qualified like she is, so yes she is worth the hype. kiss kiss kiss

I remember not being interested and not good at natural science in school until I had a female teacher. I was unconsciously associating related subjects with elderly men in white gowns and then this lady teacher came along and boom, she made an impression on me. My interest in the subject was awakened and I got so much better. It was years later that I understood how we are unconsciously affected and shaped by role models and that gender played a key role in the process.

Girls need female role models in leadership positions. Women also need to be represented accordingly. Women know best which policies affect other women in different ways. This is not to say that we all agree on everything all of the time but women need to have a voice and need to shape the public spheres of life more actively because we are a huge and important part of every society.

15 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Kamala Harris: Why The Idolization? by bukatyne(f): 11:56am On Jan 22, 2021
Please before we continue, there are some disclaimers in the OP.

I do not want this discussion to become a gender discussion.

Thank you.
Re: Kamala Harris: Why The Idolization? by bukatyne(f): 12:00pm On Jan 22, 2021
femi4:
The whole RCCG went for Buhari cos of Osinbajo(one of theirs)

Now, think of other denominations across the Country.

Bubu goodwill only secured the north

You don't understand the power of RACE. Your colour comes first before your gender
Black lives matter carries more weight than any feminist agenda

You clearly don't understand Nigerian politics or politics of Numbers if you think RCCG voting Osibanjo was enough to secure a Buhari/Osibanjo win.

There is a reason all aspiring leaders Parry to the North: they are have the numbers and the largest voter base and willing voters in Nigeria.

Do you think a Jonathan/ Osibanjo ticket would have won 2015 General Elections?
Re: Kamala Harris: Why The Idolization? by Magnoliaa(f): 12:07pm On Jan 22, 2021
Hathor5:
For a woman of color, the daughter of immigrants, to achieve what she has achieved, to even be considered for the position of the VP is a GREAT achievement. Try to become the mayor of a town and see what it takes to assume a leading position on this scale and now consider that this woman is now the most powerful woman in the world.

Thank you. This is a great point, too. People think climbing up the social ladder is a free way thousands of women can just breeze through. They believe we're "free," and so can rise to any status we desire in this 21st century, but these same people hold "unconscious" and rooted biases about women being suited for the home.

I just can't capture this well. They say we are not meant to lead and then turn around to demand: where are women leaders?

7 Likes

Re: Kamala Harris: Why The Idolization? by bukatyne(f): 12:08pm On Jan 22, 2021
pocohantas:

I understand your point. However we all know politicians are no fools. They observe the metrics and trends before picking their VP. So it is really unfair to try separating then after a win. The things she achieved on her own helped make her a worthy candidate for this position. Remember Okonjo’s recent WTO saga? She had enough on her CV already, but Nigerians carry the matter for head. Let’s also not forget her position goes beyond the election. They still have a whole lot of decision-making to do together.

I unfortunately lost my initial response to you.

I did not seperate them, Joe/Kamala won, Democrats won.

If I am opportuned to meet her, I would congratulate her.

Peeps have singled out Kamala to celebrate her win and how the future is female because she won.
Re: Kamala Harris: Why The Idolization? by bukatyne(f): 12:09pm On Jan 22, 2021
Re: Kamala Harris: Why The Idolization? by Magnoliaa(f): 12:10pm On Jan 22, 2021
bukatyne:

Thank you.

It is a gender discussion. You asked for such contributions. Whether we'll be divisive/insulting or nuanced and understanding about the topic depend on the contributors.

We all see gender one way or the other, even for the most 'objective' ones.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kamala Harris: Why The Idolization? by Kriss216: 12:13pm On Jan 22, 2021
99thEnemy:

@Bolded .... DM?
DM

You still don’t want to give up, bah?
Re: Kamala Harris: Why The Idolization? by mariahAngel(f): 12:17pm On Jan 22, 2021
bukatyne:

Thank you.

Would you have thought to create this thread if Kamala were a male?

4 Likes

Re: Kamala Harris: Why The Idolization? by bukatyne(f): 12:19pm On Jan 22, 2021
mariahAngel:

Would you have thought to create this thread if Kamala were a male?

And hyped like this?

Yes.
Re: Kamala Harris: Why The Idolization? by pocohantas(f): 12:20pm On Jan 22, 2021
bukatyne:

I unfortunately lost my initial response is to you.

I did not seperate them, Joe/Kamala won, Democrats won.

If I am opportuned to meet her, I would congratulate her.

Peeps have singled out Kamala to celebrate her win and how the future is female because she won.

That is expected na. It isn’t a norm, so it has to be celebrated. If they want us to stop celebrating, we should normalize it. Till then, we move.grin

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Kamala Harris: Why The Idolization? by Hathor5(f): 12:22pm On Jan 22, 2021
Magnoliaa:

Thank you. This is a great point, too. People think climbing up the social ladder is a free way thousands of women can just breeze through. They believe we're "free," and so can rise to any status we desire in this 21st century, but these same people hold "unconscious" and rooted biases about women being suited for the home.

I just can't capture this well. They say we are not meant to lead and then turn around to demand: where are women leaders?

But we are not allowed to bring gender into the discussion about THE FIRST FEMALE VICE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA so please stop. cheesy

It's like saying that we shouldn't talk about Obama as the FIRST BLACK PRESIDENT. undecided

Nobody can be so gullible.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kamala Harris: Why The Idolization? by bukatyne(f): 12:23pm On Jan 22, 2021
pocohantas:

That is normal na. It isn’t a norm, so it has to be celebrated. If they want us to stop celebrating, we should normalize it. Till then, we move.grin

cheesy grin

Conversing with you on this thread has been easy.

The talk of equality is getting stale.

2 Likes

Re: Kamala Harris: Why The Idolization? by Kayyy: 12:23pm On Jan 22, 2021
We should learn to answer questions like this facts and not emotions like the people overly praising VP Kamala Harris, she brought minimal to nothing towards the success of her team n the election, Biden black votes is credited to Obama and and a very large sympathetic liberal media coverage. Black votes revived Biden campaign after the first 3 primaries and there was no Harris in the picture to assist or propel him as being claimed now cos she was even doing far poorer then during those primaries. During the presidential primaries VP Harris was not even n top 3-4 among black voters, Biden, Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, and even mayor Bill de Blasio had more favourable numbers ahead of her among black polls, infact over all she wasnt amongst top 5-7 nationally, she started well and dropped so bad she pulled out early. another issue was she wasnt connecting with her black side of heritage due to her previous record as a state prosecutor, the video of Tulsi Gabbard crumbling and destroying her ambition during the live debate by listing her short comings esp to black people.

I said her contribution was minimal because i feel personally having made a promise during the primary campaign that his VP would be a woman and also seeking to cement his black and POC (people of colour ) numbers, Biden had to choose strategically and thus found her as the best person to fill that void. I will even say Mike Pence choice by trump in 2016 was more important than Biden choosing Kamala Harris in 2020 cos that gave trump a major push up to 80% favourabilty amongst evangelicals then.
Re: Kamala Harris: Why The Idolization? by mariahAngel(f): 12:26pm On Jan 22, 2021
bukatyne:

And hyped like this?

Yes.

So, what you're saying is if today, a Nigerian male immigrant became the vice president of the USA, he wouldn't be worthy of "idolization"?

5 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Social Media Begging / Seven Steps To Better Parenting. / One Man, One Room, One Motorcycle, Two Wives N Four Children!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.