Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,939 members, 7,952,780 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 12:33 AM

My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This (52329 Views)

My Boss Wants To Date Me. What Should I Do? / Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly / I Commented 'What A Nice Picture' On My Boss' Photo And She Is Taking It Up (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Drone95(m): 10:06pm On Oct 16, 2021
Recently two finished including my favourite one and we had to do an internal recruitment for another set. They take took an aptitude test, then they are were required to write an essay on any trending topic, even if it is Amotekun. The guys find this easier, they just write on Sports or Politics, most times the former. The problem would now be their grammar.
pocohantas:
Hello Nairalanders, I will like the house to judge this matter...

1 Like

Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Commentor: 10:06pm On Oct 16, 2021
MickzyDonald:
See what a simple mistake has caused

It's not a simple mistake.

An undergraduate should be above such.
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Commentor: 10:07pm On Oct 16, 2021
izzou:
Too bad. He shouldn't have dropped him though.

But then, someone had to be dropped.

Meanwhile, can I drop my CV?

Am hardworking sad

I see what you did there.
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by pocohantas(f): 10:08pm On Oct 16, 2021
o9o9:

You seem to be in a none structured work environment. If you were, your "boss" wouldn't be reviewing essays of interns.

Also your boss must suck a lot to work with. Good for the interns they didn't get to have with such an insufferable person.

They are interns. Not English professors. Also why would his personal irritation overshadow logical thinking?

My work place is VERY STRUCTURED, but due to specific reasons, HR had to leave the recruitment of interns to the different bosses. They only stopped it when they noticed people were taking interns that are affiliated to a staff.

You would have to ask him those questions, I can’t answer on his behalf.

Icumsa45:

Twitter is not the SI unit of grammar.

Very true. Never said it is.
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Octopusssy(f): 10:09pm On Oct 16, 2021
harmargedon:
the Americans use Am, British use I'm. We speak British English, so it's wrong to use Am.
This is not true. The scourge of 'am' instead of 'I'm' is caused by social media.

2 Likes

Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by pocohantas(f): 10:11pm On Oct 16, 2021
Klass99:
Poco, your boss is the sort of jackass boss I don't like.

They are usually fixated on all the minor and inconsequential things like;

1. Staff leaving work by 5pm sharp. Is that not their closing time?

2. People coming in 5, 10 or 30 minutes late, even though they are productive and do excellent work.

3. Boasting about how they are awake at 1am working and acting like they're the most hard working people on earth.

4. Taking staff resignation very personally and bad mouthing exited staff

grin Woh I dey vex joor, I just described one of my jackass bosses.

The whole point of an internship is to teach young people about acceptable norms and practices of the corporate world, what works and what doesn't work, how to evolve into good employees, professionalism etc

No offence but that was a jerk move by your boss.

You know him well. Seems you have worked with him before. He acts before thinking, only to regret his actions later. He does it to everyone including me, the only difference is that he can’t dismiss me like that. So after ranting, he would rest. Me sef go rest small. The next day we continue.

He has a problem teaching them sef. Sometimes I wonder why he would always request interns only to get irritated when they come.

He has his very good days sha.

2 Likes

Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by aspabay(m): 10:12pm On Oct 16, 2021
I would drop him too if I had other competing options
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by akumarism(m): 10:12pm On Oct 16, 2021
Sixfeetbelle:

cheesy cheesy maybe Am the boss. Who knows?

Well, you did plead a case for him by mentioning his brilliance but such errors in official correspondence says a lot, you know?

If he couldn't distinguish between the two, then he probably isn't as brilliant as you make him out to be.

God bless you for this objective submission. This is one of the negative effects of addiction to social media. A serious candidate should know that he's not writing for whatsapp audience. I find it difficult to believe that such a candidate is brilliant as you want us to believe. Meanwhile, he (I mean the boss) should have judged the guy alongside other candidates provided that such kind of error has little to do with nature of the job.
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Nobody: 10:13pm On Oct 16, 2021
Realtord43:
Rubbish! absolute nonsense reason from your boss.

A simple error like these can be corrected without stress. Nobody is above mistake likewise your boss.

I don't know why it has become a norm for Nigeria Employer's demanding perfection from their employee.

Your boss is very wicked!

Ridiculously wicked!!!
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by o9o9: 10:16pm On Oct 16, 2021
Amanstailored:
That error speaks more of your boss's character than of the young mans. Sometimes what might be the criteria or criterion in deciding who stays or who goes might just be a mistake as insignificant as this. While I understand how much you wanted this guy to get the job. I think your boss acted on instinct and gut and sometimes that's what CEO's need when the chips are down. I once texted a friend saying I am greatful and the next thing he said was if you took all the pain to type greatful wouldn't it be the same time it would take to just type the correct form of the word "grateful". Besides greatful has the exact same letters as grateful but one is wrong and the other is right. I guess my point is the young guy will look back at this experience and learn an important lesson. Which is anything worth doing is worth doing right

I totally disagree with this.

I converse a lot with native English speakers in multiple cross functional roles. If i had a dollar for every mistake or typos lots make , i would be a millionaire.

It is only in Nigeria we carry English on top of our head like Ijebu garri. They are interns and mostly fresh out of school or someone learning a new skill in a work environment. The threshold of capabilities for such team members is always set extremely low and showing up and showing a will to learn should be more than enough to grant you a sit.

They just lost a talent because of their irrational thinking. I am so glad for the young man. The OP should please even send me the details of the guy. I would hook him up to something far better than wherever he is coming from.

6 Likes

Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by DMerciful(m): 10:16pm On Oct 16, 2021
Just a word 'Am' and your boss couldn't even read the entire essay to see beyond one mistake! Is he a perfectionist?

Again, who blames him? There are no jobs in the country, that's why people are dropped for flimsy reasons. If he's bright like you said and your boss tells him to avoid informal abbreviations, I'm sure he will comply.
pocohantas:

I know someone has to be dropped, but the guy seems bright and is humble.

Am not going to collect your CV.

My boss said the second he spotted it, he stopped reading the essay. I took my time to finish the essay though, the guy is quite bright.

Recent ke? He has been on it. cheesy

1 Like

Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by harmargedon: 10:18pm On Oct 16, 2021
Octopusssy:

This is not true. The scourge of 'am' instead of 'I'm' is caused by social media.
Am is used by black Americans, if you've stayed or listened to them speak you'd understand this. Social media has no effect on this.
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Collins4u1(m): 10:18pm On Oct 16, 2021
Purpose of internship just got defeated...

3 Likes

Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by justmondris: 10:18pm On Oct 16, 2021
I believe your boss was looking for saints to work with and not humans. Making mistake is a great part of any learning curve.

So tell me, how will the interns grow when your boss cannot tolerate such little mistake?

1 Like

Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by harmargedon: 10:18pm On Oct 16, 2021
oloshun:

I disagree respectfully. This is out of context. The pattern is different but there is standard between the societies linguistically.
Am is used by black Americans in the USA, and the country has nothing against it, neither do they see it as an error.
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by MrMacinterchi1: 10:19pm On Oct 16, 2021
after 8 months
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Nobody: 10:19pm On Oct 16, 2021
TruthHurts1:
Elon Musk recently used "AM" instead of "I'M" or "I AM" in a tweet and the world didn't come to an end. All the same I can see where your boss is coming from. Using "AM" in a tweet is not the same as using it in an official correspondence.

Elon is an entrepreneur... Answers to no boss. He can afford to make any mistake... But for those looking up to a boss, mistakes aren't tolerated. That's the difference between entrepreneurs and potential employees.
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Krismas(m): 10:20pm On Oct 16, 2021
grin Wots the salary like? Before I know wot to say? I have seen a very very BEAUTIFUL girl lose a beauty pageant to a less pretty one cos she cudnt answer a simple question. Anything can eliminate an applicant in a competitive interview
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Lightway: 10:21pm On Oct 16, 2021
pocohantas:

He could be an asshole, but I beg to disagree with this. My boss is very unbiased.

Are you married to your boss.. always taking his side
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by jaxxy(m): 10:22pm On Oct 16, 2021
I’m personally critical about the use of Am or I’m bt I won’t use that to judge Sm1 career cos I know is an unconscious social media or chat habit which if not guided can spill off into professional or formal areas. I can assume it’s a mistake depending on the circumstances.

Bt I don’t mix them up wether in casual or formal situations.
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by zikter(m): 10:23pm On Oct 16, 2021
Draslo:
Yadda! Yadda! Yadda! Your boss is an asshole. Period!

I used to be a grammar Nazi too until I realized how stupid I was. Americans make a shitload of grammatical errors and nobody bashes them for it. I'm sure if the intern was an American, your boss would have overlooked it.
I used to listen to Wayne Rooney speak to the press after matches, and sometimes I was shocked that a pure English guy can make basic grammatical errors like he did. I am not excusing poor written English though, however I don't feel this mistake was too much, especially for an intern who is supposed to be taught and nutured in a work environment.

3 Likes

Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Klass99(f): 10:23pm On Oct 16, 2021
smiley

2 Likes

Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by 2braithe: 10:27pm On Oct 16, 2021
Front page after how many months?
Recently,a topic that graced front page weeks ago graced it again last week.Same topic o, front page twice.
Our mods are high on Jamaican kush grin

1 Like

Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by dalass(f): 10:27pm On Oct 16, 2021
izzou:
Too bad. He shouldn't have dropped him though.

But then, someone had to be dropped.

Meanwhile, can I drop my CV?

Am hardworking sad

Am disappointed in you grin

2 Likes

Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by 2braithe: 10:28pm On Oct 16, 2021
Klass99:

I'm just laughing out loud at the bolded. You get energy sef, my own boss is so annoying I don't bother getting into it with him.

His ITK full ground, he loves to talk as if he hosts a talk show like Steve Harvey, shares stuff about his personal life no one asked him and then expects you to share your personal life too - like WTF? Are you and I friends?

I usually keep my distance and keep conversations centered on work. I'm starting to feel a lot of resentment towards him.

RESIGN!!!!

1 Like

Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by McBishop2020: 10:31pm On Oct 16, 2021
Sixfeetbelle:
I hate when people use 'Am' instead of 'I'm' [i]and[/i] I believe it, in a way, says a lot about the person's English literacy abilities. It's also like how some mistake usages of 'their' and 'there' or 'where' and 'were'.

I know something like an IELTS exam would not condone this error so I totally understand why your boss did what he did and commend him for it.

To all those shouting 'your boss is wicked', you are allowed to make this same mistake on a standard assessment examination for a high paying job.

Even your command of the language you hype is poor. The exam body you quoted knows that the English Language is most countries' L2. Let's learn to correct and not always to condemn.

4 Likes

Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Klass99(f): 10:32pm On Oct 16, 2021
smiley
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by ezewealth(m): 10:32pm On Oct 16, 2021
LordKO:

I can see that you've been doing everything possible to make people who don't know to believe that the heartbreak you suffered isn't real - I don't take pleasure in the pains you have suffered, though. Lol. Well, don't give me more reasons to conclude that you didn't accept the pardon I've granted you.

By the way, you've 20 writing issues in your OP:

1 Faulty tense sequence
1 Determiner use
1 Misuse of quantifiers

9 Punctuation in compound/complex sentences
2 Misuse of semicolons, quotation marks, etc.

1 Mixed dialect of English

2 Word choice

1 Passive voice misuse
1 Wordy sentence
1 Inappropriate colloquialism

Meanwhile, you capitalized on Elun Musk's aberration to create this thread to further your clout chasing. The illusory incident you embedded in the story didn't happen in your office or anywhere; it remains an illusion.

Stay safe and blessed, queen.
I don't just know y I love you now, NO HOMO!

2 Likes

Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Skidee: 10:32pm On Oct 16, 2021
Your boss went overboard jare. I'm sure the wasn't interviewed for an English position.

Does your company pay that well, for your boss to be doing anyhow untop internship position.

Nobody is above mistake and we learn everyday. I noticed most people don't even know 'Am' is wrong, they just write it, and I try to correct them too whenever I see it.

I had to also correct myself, when I saw somebody mentioning it few years ago online and I didn't know it was wrong. Since then, I intentionally never write it, which have also mastered me now.

1 Like

Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by SmartyPants(m): 10:32pm On Oct 16, 2021
Sixfeetbelle:
I hate when people use 'Am' instead of 'I'm' and I believe it, in a way, says a lot about the person's English literacy abilities. It's also like how some mistake usages of 'their' and 'there' or 'where' and 'were'.

I know something like an IELTS exam would not condone this error so I totally understand why your boss did what he did and commend him for it.

To all those shouting 'your boss is wicked', you are allowed to make this same mistake on a standard assessment examination for a high paying job.

that's grammatical nonsense.
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by pocohantas(f): 10:33pm On Oct 16, 2021
Klass99:

I'm just laughing out loud at the bolded. You get energy sef, my own boss is so annoying I don't bother getting into it with him.

His ITK full ground, he loves to talk as if he hosts a talk show like Steve Harvey, shares stuff about his personal life no one asked him and then expects you to share your personal life too - like WTF? Are you and I friends?

I usually keep my distance and keep conversations centered on work. I'm starting to feel a lot of resentment towards him.

I don’t answer him o. I will just be looking at him. Sometimes the talk dey funny me and I’ll laugh. He finds that very annoying though.

When he isn’t being overly critical, he is a great guy. He loves groove and women.

Yours seems to have a more troublesome side than a good side, hence the resentment. My boss balances it well. So we found a way to manage him. Please try not to hate your boss. Except you want to hate the job too, lol.

1 Like

Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by 2braithe: 10:33pm On Oct 16, 2021
jaxxy:
I’m personally critical about the use of Am or I’m bt I won’t use that to judge Sm1 career cos I know is an unconscious social media or chat habit which if not guided can spill off into professional or formal areas. I can assume it’s a mistake depending on the circumstances.

Bt I don’t mix them up wether in casual or formal situations.

And you don't mix them up o.What if you now want to mix them up?
Is NL not an example of a casual setting?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

My Boss Almost Killed Me Today Because I Have Not Packed From His Apartment. / Modern Day Slavery At GTB Contact Center / Nigerian Family Members Who Are All Doctors (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.