Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,119 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:29 AM

My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This (51824 Views)

Please Advise: What Should Be My Reply To My Boss / My Boss Wants To Date Me. What Should I Do? / I Commented 'What A Nice Picture' On My Boss' Photo And She Is Taking It Up (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by jaxxy(m): 11:40pm On Oct 16, 2021
2braithe:

And you don't mix them up o.What if you now want to mix them up?
Is NL not an example of a casual setting?

I’m talking about the use of Am and I’m. Not abbreviations can’t u read what I said??
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Nobody: 11:44pm On Oct 16, 2021
This is where we get it all wrong as a nation. The guy is bright but because of a simple mistake which does not distort communication, he is was drop. It's absolute rubbish. Check all the developed nations, which of them is using a foreign language as their national language? ENGLISH LANGUAGE SHOULD NOT DETERMINE OUR PROGRESS AS A NATION. In this nation, I have seen talents wasted just because they cannot speak English Language. It is a pity.
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by streetzdreamz(m): 11:44pm On Oct 16, 2021
Much ado about nothing. He excelled in all aspects but because of an error that can easily be corrected he got dropped, typical of some Nigerians though, always seeking perfection in an imperfect setting. I hope the op reached out to the dude, to atleast do what her boss was too bossy to do. I wonder how we intend to impart lives if we keep towing this path.
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by ngpatriotz(m): 11:46pm On Oct 16, 2021
“My advice for young people is, study what you love and
intern in what you want to do.
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by BENEAMATA: 11:47pm On Oct 16, 2021
Originalsly:
Jobs have levels ... and requirements. If your boss wants his employees to be proficient in English....then he will weed out members of the who English epp gang. The same is widespread in the US where applicants abbreviate words as if writing on SM.... they are weeded out. From time to time someone here be highlighting common mistakes and am instead of I am/I'm is a top mistake. Too many believe am is correct. On Elon Musk... many Americans use slangs when speaking and writing on SM... but drop such when standard English is required.
There's a time and place for everything.
baba , you've said it all . Even the " i'm " borders on the informal way when writing an official letter and i doubt if not a few companies and multinational companies will condone " we're " we'd " ," i'm " in a proposal sent to them . As in what is the fate of a company whose boss is not so sound academically and the ones he employs to move the company forward because they are qualified supposedly , are not doing the basics ?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by itodojr(m): 11:50pm On Oct 16, 2021
pocohantas:
Hello Nairalanders, I will like the house to judge this matter...

It doesn't make it right

Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by 2braithe: 11:51pm On Oct 16, 2021
jaxxy:

I’m talking about the use of Am and I’m. Not abbreviations can’t u read what I said??

If you are conscious of the use of "Am" and "I'm" so as not to use them erroneously in certain settings.Why aren't you conscious of the usage of those abbreviations so as not to use them in important settings?
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by nedekid: 12:02am On Oct 17, 2021
Naija way for you. If something is not made stressful they are not happy. What is the big deal in correcting the guy? undecided

1 Like

Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by jaxxy(m): 12:02am On Oct 17, 2021
2braithe:

If you are conscious of the use of "Am" and "I'm" so as not to use them erroneously in certain settings.Why aren't you conscious of the usage of those abbreviations so as not to use them in important settings?

So what setting is NL? Formal? An interview? undecided

Ure not making any sense or point.

Also note abbreviations are quite different from wrong use of correct words.
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Ayula911: 12:03am On Oct 17, 2021
pocohantas:
Is your boss more Dan perfect? He's just proud...
If he get to the front of some top humans himself he'll make mistake...

Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Meenabee(f): 12:08am On Oct 17, 2021
And even kissed his butt. Lol...
Draslo:
Yadda! Yadda! Yadda! Your boss is an asshole. Period!

I used to be a grammar Nazi too until I realized how stupid I was. Americans make a shitload of grammatical errors and nobody bashes them for it. I'm sure if the intern was an American, your boss would have overlooked it.
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Muzikluva(m): 12:25am On Oct 17, 2021
Draslo:

Maybe. I mean, you do know him better than I do. How can he throw such a prospect out the window because of a grammatical error? That's a bit over the top. A better approach would have been to invite the young intern, disclosed to him/her how he/she could have lost the opportunity because of said error. I promise you, the intern would never make the same mistake ever again.
I disagree. Any adult who uses “am” instead of “I am” can never change. I’m telling you this from experience. You can try this yourself: look out for people who make such grammatical errors. Even if you correct them 100 times, they would still make such mistakes. It’s embedded in them already. I don’t blame the boss anyways. I for one find it irritating when an adult makes such basic errors. What would you teach your child if you are making such basic grammatical blunders??

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Nobody: 12:31am On Oct 17, 2021
What nonsense! This is not enough reason to disqualify the guy. Using "am" in place of "Am" is an error that can be easily corrected. Such error does not justify the harsh reactions of your boss.

Give me your boss's number. I will like to tell him how AM not pleased with his irrational judgement.
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Muzikluva(m): 12:46am On Oct 17, 2021
pocohantas:

If you go through all the responses to your post, you would notice that there are several grammatical blunders with some people even using “am” instead of “I am” which is the bone of contention here. It’s that bad..
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by DFERENCE: 1:09am On Oct 17, 2021
This is how you lose diamonds just because it is covered in charcoal, why the white man always does better, he looks at potential not approach
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Sologzy(m): 1:11am On Oct 17, 2021

Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by jeff1607(m): 1:31am On Oct 17, 2021
If men were gods
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 1:46am On Oct 17, 2021
Draslo:
Yadda! Yadda! Yadda! Your boss is an asshole. Period!

I used to be a grammar Nazi too until I realized how stupid I was. Americans make a shitload of grammatical errors and nobody bashes them for it. I'm sure if the intern was an American, your boss would have overlooked it.
Funny enough, just like his boss, I find that "am" thing very annoying. It is a recent trend in Nigeria to replace "I am" with "am". Many people get offended when you tell them it is wrong.
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by samwash(m): 2:04am On Oct 17, 2021
For some people saying it's rubbish, and the who English help gang, you all can see the relivant of written English.
You people never care to ask which type of organization is that and secondly, as a well structured organization, if that same guy is in position to send out memo to the public and the memo is full of grammertic errors, these are the first set of people to criticize the errors.
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by 2braithe: 2:08am On Oct 17, 2021
jaxxy:

So what setting is NL? Formal? An interview? undecided

Ure not making any sense or point.

Also note abbreviations are quite different from wrong use of correct words.

You mentioned that you refrained from using it in both casual and formal setting in which NL is also casual.

Those are not even abbreviations,they are shorthand which one should avoid too.
I once heard of a waec student who wrote his essay in shorthand i.e 4 instead of "for".He scored zero.
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Rajosh(m): 2:19am On Oct 17, 2021
It irritates me too.
Using am instead of I am or I'm
Also using there instead of their.

Whenever I see these two, I loose interest in reading.
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Ynix(m): 2:30am On Oct 17, 2021
pocohantas:

I hope he told the guy, else that your oga also have failed in one of the essence of life which is living to love and to leave a legacy.
The first question is this, is it allowed in English?
Second, is there supposed to be a room for improvement.
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by CountVersailles(f): 3:29am On Oct 17, 2021
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by osazsky(m): 3:34am On Oct 17, 2021
TruthHurts1:
Elon Musk recently used "AM" instead of "I'M" or "I AM" in a tweet and the world didn't come to an end. All the same I can see where your boss is coming from. Using "AM" in a tweet is not the same as using it in an official correspondence.
cuz elon musk or buhari uses am instead of "I am"doesnt makes it right..like the guy said it irritates him..he is the boss of his own company those that want to use " am" instead of ,I am" should right applications and CVS to his numerous companies na..its that easy
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by osazsky(m): 3:38am On Oct 17, 2021
Ynix:

I hope he told the guy, else that your oga also have failed in one of the essence of life which is living to love and to leave a legacy.
The first question is this, is it allowed in English?
Second, is there supposed to be a room for improvement.
them nor they use pitty give work o .u go ruin your company.what if he is to work in customer service where he is to reply and send customers mail 24 hrs and he keeps using ..am odazee instead of I am osazee how may I help u
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Ynix(m): 3:44am On Oct 17, 2021
osazsky:
them nor they use pitty give work o .u go ruin your company.what if he is to work in customer service where he is to reply and send customers mail 24 hrs and he keeps using ..am odazee instead of I am osazee how may I help u
I have not seen anyone employed in a reputable company that was not put through at one time or the other on how to do things rightly, most of this Jim Jim oga will say young Nigerian youth are unemployable but if you carefully consider where they started from they were not as good as one will expect.
I have met lots of younger ones who have disappointed me at different times but I give them space to breathe, as long as they are willing to work and grow up becoming better at what they are doing.
Thank God for those who did not give up on us when we were so crude
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Apination(m): 3:59am On Oct 17, 2021
Ishilove:

The US arm of my company just laid off one of the Nigerian staff there because of her atrocious writing. I see her atrocious grammar in her correspondences to top companies and blush in mortification. I was forced to draw the attention of my boss and he commented - "I doubt she passed through University as she claims". He wanted to lay her off tomorrow, Friday, but when she committed another unpardonable grammatical blunder yesterday, he just quietly told her to leave. I woke up this morning to see she had left the Company WhatsApp chat. Literally.

There are standards and we shouldn't expect companies to lower their standards; rather, we should build ourselves up to standard so that they will be the one rushing us.
Abeg you fit connect me to that your working place make I sharply replace her. My English and writing skills na A+
Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Omoluabi16(m): 4:01am On Oct 17, 2021
Mac2016:

It's actually not a simple mistake. It's one of the developments from social media cos of limited time and space for words. I had to read over any writeups then before submission cos someone of them found a way of entering our real writeups forgetting that we had left the social media environment. Always watch out for cos, pls, am etc
You're very correct. SMS used to be about #30 per page or 160 words, we'd try to fit in so many words at once. Luv, u, 2, b, pls, appy, frm. Then of course chat apps did the greatest damage on young people. For whatever reason, it became cool writing you as yhew, hi as hy, hello- ello and other stupid slangs. Don't we all cringe when we see some of the things we posted 8 years ago especially on FB or twitter? Lol.
Last last, no one is perfect.

1 Like

Re: My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This by Starpro87(m): 4:13am On Oct 17, 2021
The sour effect of phones and predominant use of the social media.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

My Boss Almost Killed Me Today Because I Have Not Packed From His Apartment. / Meet Husseini Jidauna, The Dancing Traffic Police Officer In Adamawa State / Newly Recruited Soldiers Being Flogged, Swim Inside Gutter, As Part Of Training

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.