Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,346 members, 7,811,999 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:49 AM

Why You'll Never Vote For Muhammadu Buhari? - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why You'll Never Vote For Muhammadu Buhari? (15463 Views)

I Will Never Vote For Social Media Bill - Sen. Ben Bruce / A Lesson For Muhammadu Buhari - Salisu Buhari / Why You'll Never Vote For Goodluck Jonathan? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why You'll Never Vote For Muhammadu Buhari? by dondavids: 3:22am On Apr 06, 2011
Hi,

I got this write up about Buhari from Encycopaeedia Britannica

Muhammad also spelled  Muhammadu
born December 17, 1942, Daura, Nigeria

Nigerian military leader, who served as head of state (1985).

Educated largely in Katsina, Buhari took military training in Kaduna as well as Great Britain, India, and the United States. He was involved in the military coup that ousted Yakubu Gowon in 1975 and was appointed military governor of North Eastern state (now Borno) that same year. He was appointed federal commissioner for petroleum resources by General Olusegun Obasanjo, who became military head of state when Gowon's successor, Murtala Mohammed, was assassinated in 1976. By 1977 Buhari had become the military secretary at Supreme Military Headquarters, which was the seat of government. By September 1979 he had returned to regular army duties and commanded a division based in Kaduna. Although elected government had returned to Nigeria in 1979, military dissatisfaction with what it perceived as corrupt politicians led to another military coup on December 31, 1984; Buhari was chosen unanimously to be the new head of state.

Insurmountable economic problems plagued the Buhari regime as petroleum prices collapsed in the face of expanding foreign debt.

"Buhari instituted austerity measures that caused severe hardship to the average Nigerian. In addition, political corruption continued unabated, with politicians escaping to Western countries with millions of dollars in government money. In an effort to stop dissension, Buhari instituted restrictions on the press, political freedoms, and trade unionists. By August 1985 even the military had had enough, and Ibrahim Babangida took control of the government. "

Buhari was detained in Benin City but was released at the end of 1988. In 2003 Buhari ran for president; he was defeated by the incumbent, Olusegun Obasanjo of the People's Democratic Party (PDP). Buhari ran again in 2007 but was defeated by the PDP's candidate, Umaru Yar'Adua, in an election that was strongly criticized by international observers as being marred by voting irregularities.

It is True that Nigerians suffer from short memory, but is that an excuse to vote for someone like Buhari?, Nah I don't think so.

No press freedom, No Political freedom, No freedom of anything and finally, Total Islamaization of Nigeria and complete Enthronment of S-H-A-R-I-A.

I dey Laugh, [img]">http://grin[/img]

To cite this page:

* MLA Style: "Buhari, Muhammad." Encyclopædia Britannica. Encyclopaedia Britannica Ultimate Reference Suite. Chicago: Encyclopædia Britannica, 2010.
* APA Style: Buhari, Muhammad. (2010). Encyclopædia Britannica. Encyclopaedia Britannica Ultimate Reference Suite. Chicago: Encyclopædia Britannica.
Re: Why You'll Never Vote For Muhammadu Buhari? by Beaf: 3:50am On Apr 06, 2011
^
Thanks for that.

[size=14pt]Insurmountable economic problems plagued the Buhari regime as petroleum prices collapsed in the face of expanding foreign debt.

"Buhari instituted austerity measures that caused severe hardship to the average Nigerian. In addition, political corruption continued unabated, with politicians escaping to Western countries with millions of dollars in government money. In an effort to stop dissension, Buhari instituted restrictions on the press, political freedoms, and trade unionists. By August 1985 even the military had had enough, and Ibrahim Babangida took control of the government. "[/size]

Thats the ultimate definition of clueless! cool
Re: Why You'll Never Vote For Muhammadu Buhari? by itsbb: 4:17am On Apr 06, 2011
Who is afraid of Buhari?
Written by Tope Popoola
Tuesday, 08 March 2011

Let me state ab initio that I am not a politician (although I am not apolitical). I hold no membership card of any party. I write this because of millions of Nigerians who are below 35 and who constitute a significant chunk of our voting population. This is the ICT generation that is largely ignorant about the events of the Buhari era (1983-85) and so is misinformed and misled by needless propaganda. I have had discussions with many in the under-35 bracket and those slightly above who only have faint recollections of that era. The level of ignorance is amazing.

I don’t have the General’s mandate to hold brief for him, but I am passionate about my nation. So it pains me when people stand facts on their heads to sway the minds of a naive generation for cheap advantage. Of all the present contenders for the office of Presidency, none has been as maligned as General Buhari. He has been variously labelled “rigid”, “fundamentalist”, “dictatorial” etc. I was already a university graduate when he presided over the affairs of this country; so I can still clearly remember some things about that government. His achievements in only two years dwarf those of all who came after him.

I respect anyone’s opinion and political choices but I abhor misrepresentation of facts about anyone.
Before being military Head of State, Buhari had been Governor of one of the Northern States as well as Minister for Petroleum. He later served as Chairman of PTF under Abacha.

He birthed and supervised the establishment of our existing refineries. Today, we import 70% of the fuel we use because those after him have literally crippled the refineries.

Under his regime, there was no religious crisis. It started under his successor!
Buhari’s government reduced inflation from 23% under Shagari to 4%, by fiscal discipline and a homegrown economic team. Nigeria didn’t borrow and yet met all her financial obligations.

He only jailed corrupt leaders. In Ghana, Rawlings killed them and was celebrated for that!
As PTF Chairman, what Buhari did in road construction in that short period hasn’t been matched by any government thereafter. Hospitals and universities around the country never witnessed as much benefits as they got from the PTF from any government after or before that time.

Despite serving in senior capacity in the oil sector, first as Minister for Petroleum and then Petroleum Trust Fund Chairman, Buhari has no petrol station, much less a rig, refinery or an oil block like so many of his contemporaries. He could have retired into nauseating opulence like them but didn’t.

Instead of hobnobbing with the high and mighty, he has cast his lot with the common man most of whom follow him out of hope and belief in his values. He is the only politician in the North today who fills rallies without renting a crowd.

He refused to collect an allowance while serving as Chairman of the PTF because he said since he was already drawing a pension from government, his conscience would not allow him to draw another salary from the purse of the same government from which he was already drawing a pension.

He is the only former head of state that does not own property or land in Abuja.

The man who took over the running of PTF with the aim of probing and indicting Buhari before it was scrapped, was the one who ended up being prosecuted for misappropriating $100m of PTF funds! Every attempt to rubbish Buhari through probes in time past had ended up vindicating him.

He has OPENLY challenged those who accuse him of religious fundamentalism to come out and show proof. I am surprised that no one has till today, taken up the challenge. I HONESTLY wish someone would! His personal driver of many years is a Christian from Plateau State!

Buhari’s government initiated the War Against Indiscipline that has made environmental cleanliness, queuing up, not urinating by the roadside etc, features of our national life even till today. With WAI, Nigerians began to understand basic elements of social responsibility.

For the records, IBB took us into full membership of OIC. Prof Omoruyi, one of Babangida’s hatchet men wrote in 2001, “The period of General Babangida (1985-1993) represented the beginning of unmitigated Islamization of Nigeria. , General Babangida took the fateful decision in 1986 to face the Nigerian Christians in particular and Nigerians in general with the plan of Muslims. He without the approval of the governing organs of the Federal Military Government organized a mission led by a non-member of the Government, the Sultan of Sokoto to formally admit Nigeria into the Organization of Islamic Conference (OIC). When the Chief of General Staff, Commodore Ebitu Ukiwe complained that he knew nothing about it and definitely said that he could not remember the matter coming to the Armed Forces Ruling Council (AFRC), he was shown his way out.”

Was Buhari flawless? If he was, he wouldn’t be human. Tough? Yes. But corrupt? No. Fundamentalist? No proof. Take positions based on facts, not cheap propaganda.
Remember, the sky is not your limit, God is!
Re: Why You'll Never Vote For Muhammadu Buhari? by nagoma(m): 7:02am On Apr 06, 2011
roocome the thug is now in nursery school and can name some animals in English! Others in Yoruba. Perhaps he will learn to read in the future , if PDP can provide disadvantaged people like him with some adult eduction.so sorry cry.
Re: Why You'll Never Vote For Muhammadu Buhari? by desktop: 7:15am On Apr 06, 2011
Really cant stand tribalistic people who really have no focus other than ask people to give account of. . .did he appear when invited to face the Oputa panel? suddenly now the harbinger of justice and no other purpose as president SMH maybe as EFCC chairman he'd do alright
As for the pastor of fake prophesies and mouth change once given a post by the same person he condemned. . . a double minded man is unstable in all his ways surely he must have come across this at some stage of his deceiving himself on his former calling
Then why does every photo of
buharis face ALWAYS looks like the second stage of something in a blender?
Re: Why You'll Never Vote For Muhammadu Buhari? by recoome(m): 7:33am On Apr 06, 2011
@nagoma: u must be blind, its 'recoome' and not 'roocome' as u spelt, u must be experiencing some cranial disorder, perhaps it's the 'mumu' syndrome that u've been infected. Pls stop being a mumu!
Re: Why You'll Never Vote For Muhammadu Buhari? by Demdem(m): 8:11am On Apr 06, 2011
aletheia:

^Really? The lies you BB people tell. Do you think building a power station is like looking beans?

Did you completely read my post at all? are you saying the report from BBC where the story originated from is false? What lies are we peddling now?
Abegii, lets stick to issues ok.
Re: Why You'll Never Vote For Muhammadu Buhari? by rasputinn(m): 8:25am On Apr 06, 2011
I would not even wish an enemy nation to suffer the tragedy of being ruled by something as terrible as Buhari

Tufiakwa
Re: Why You'll Never Vote For Muhammadu Buhari? by rasputinn(m): 8:28am On Apr 06, 2011
dondavids:

Hi,

I got this write up about Buhari from Encycopaeedia Britannica

Muhammad also spelled Muhammadu
born December 17, 1942, Daura, Nigeria

Nigerian military leader, who served as head of state (1985).

Educated largely in Katsina, Buhari took military training in Kaduna as well as Great Britain, India, and the United States. He was involved in the military coup that ousted Yakubu Gowon in 1975 and was appointed military governor of North Eastern state (now Borno) that same year. He was appointed federal commissioner for petroleum resources by General Olusegun Obasanjo, who became military head of state when Gowon's successor, Murtala Mohammed, was assassinated in 1976. By 1977 Buhari had become the military secretary at Supreme Military Headquarters, which was the seat of government. By September 1979 he had returned to regular army duties and commanded a division based in Kaduna. Although elected government had returned to Nigeria in 1979, military dissatisfaction with what it perceived as corrupt politicians led to another military coup on December 31, 1984; Buhari was chosen unanimously to be the new head of state.

Insurmountable economic problems plagued the Buhari regime as petroleum prices collapsed in the face of expanding foreign debt.

"Buhari instituted austerity measures that caused severe hardship to the average Nigerian. In addition, political corruption continued unabated, with politicians escaping to Western countries with millions of dollars in government money. In an effort to stop dissension, Buhari instituted restrictions on the press, political freedoms, and trade unionists. By August 1985 even the military had had enough, and Ibrahim Babangida took control of the government
. "

Buhari was detained in Benin City but was released at the end of 1988. In 2003 Buhari ran for president; he was defeated by the incumbent, Olusegun Obasanjo of the People's Democratic Party (PDP). Buhari ran again in 2007 but was defeated by the PDP's candidate, Umaru Yar'Adua, in an election that was strongly criticized by international observers as being marred by voting irregularities.

It is True that Nigerians suffer from short memory, but is that an excuse to vote for someone like Buhari?, Nah I don't think so.

No press freedom, No Political freedom, No freedom of anything and finally, Total Islamaization of Nigeria and complete Enthronment of S-H-A-R-I-A.

I dey Laugh, [img]">http://grin[/img]

To cite this page:

* MLA Style: "Buhari, Muhammad." Encyclopædia Britannica. Encyclopaedia Britannica Ultimate Reference Suite. Chicago: Encyclopædia Britannica, 2010.
* APA Style: Buhari, Muhammad. (2010). Encyclopædia Britannica. Encyclopaedia Britannica Ultimate Reference Suite. Chicago: Encyclopædia Britannica.

This is the evil he wants to come and re-enact, shocked shocked ,God forbid,no way for him and that greedy lying Bakare
Re: Why You'll Never Vote For Muhammadu Buhari? by cjfavour(m): 8:56am On Apr 06, 2011
@rasputinn,all those features you enumerated are d features of military govt.Other military ex presido in PDP did worse eg IBB. I know d type of persn i'll nt vote for. He that knows dt Nigerian problem is corruptio bt is nt fighting it.He dt wines and dines with convicted men ll nt get my vote.He dt celebrates d return of a convicted criminal/looter/thief/robber of our commonwealth and even sent his ministers to celebrate with d thief.I will nt vote for one who did not fulfill any of hi 7 point agenda bt is good in promises.I';l nt vote for a man who is nt decisive and strong willed.WHOEVER IT IS WILL NOT GET MY VOTE.
Re: Why You'll Never Vote For Muhammadu Buhari? by EOS(m): 9:01am On Apr 06, 2011
kicking against voting for Buhari or Jonathan is not the matter for now. What matter most at this period of time is election should be peaceful, credible, free and fair, and results should be announced at each polling unit. Since we are all educated, there is no need to be lectured on the two candidates. We know the candidates abilities, their records and performances very well. Let the D day decide. FIRE ON THE MOUNTAIN!
Re: Why You'll Never Vote For Muhammadu Buhari? by Demdem(m): 9:37am On Apr 06, 2011
EOS:

kicking against voting for Buhari or Jonathan is not the matter for now. What matter most at this period of time is election should be peaceful, credible, free and fair, and results should be announced at each polling unit. Since we are all educated, there is no need to be lectured on the two candidates. We know the candidates abilities, their records and performances very well. Let the D day decide. FIRE ON THE MOUNTAIN!

i hope for this also but i know it will never happen. its still the same system remember.
Re: Why You'll Never Vote For Muhammadu Buhari? by agabaI23(m): 9:58am On Apr 06, 2011
cjfavour:

@rasputinn,all those features you enumerated are d features of military govt.Other military ex presido in PDP did worse eg IBB.     I know d type of persn i'll nt vote for. He that knows dt Nigerian problem is corruptio bt is nt fighting it.He dt wines and dines with convicted men ll nt get my vote.He dt celebrates d return of a convicted criminal/looter/thief/robber of our commonwealth and even sent his ministers to celebrate with d thief.I will nt vote for one who did not fulfill any of hi 7 point agenda bt is good in promises.I';l nt vote for a man who is nt decisive and strong willed.WHOEVER IT IS WILL  NOT GET MY VOTE.

Yea me too.  I will not vote for someone who jailed some guy for corruption and later made him his Campaign DG, someone who said Abacha is a saint, who condemns the PDP for corruption but is being financed by money stolen from the govt. Abba ruma, Marwa etc comes to mind.

7 point Agenda will be delivered in 11 months I guess! Your lovely general delivered nothing in 20 months, rather he left the economy worse off.

And BTW what do you mean by all those are features of military govt? That is the reason why they should give us a chance to govern ourselves because they are not trained for civilian leadership.
Why will he come to govern the institution he derided?

Refused to honour invitation to Oputa panel
Never spoke against Abacha's highhandness
had no problem with prolonged military rule
I can go on.
Re: Why You'll Never Vote For Muhammadu Buhari? by QualityShare: 12:44pm On Apr 06, 2011
Buhari is the Man who truncated (overtrow “in military coup"wink a democratically elected President Alhaji Shehu shagari. what kind of credibility does such a man has? and this is a man who killed alot of military and civilians Nigerians for no sake.

more <a href="http://www.punchng.com/ViewComments.aspx?theartic=Art201103161253185">RIGHT HERE</a>
Re: Why You'll Never Vote For Muhammadu Buhari? by naijaking1: 3:33pm On Apr 06, 2011
itsbb:

Who is afraid of Buhari?
Written by Tope Popoola
Tuesday, 08 March 2011

Let me state ab initio that I am not a politician (although I am not apolitical). I hold no membership card of any party. I write this because of millions of Nigerians who are below 35 and who constitute a significant chunk of our voting population. This is the ICT generation that is largely ignorant about the events of the Buhari era (1983-85) and so is misinformed and misled by needless propaganda. I have had discussions with many in the under-35 bracket and those slightly above who only have faint recollections of that era. The level of ignorance is amazing.

I don’t have the General’s mandate to hold brief for him, but I am passionate about my nation. So it pains me when people stand facts on their heads to sway the minds of a naive generation for cheap advantage. Of all the present contenders for the office of Presidency, none has been as maligned as General Buhari. He has been variously labelled “rigid”, “fundamentalist”, “dictatorial” etc. I was already a university graduate when he presided over the affairs of this country; so I can still clearly remember some things about that government. His achievements in only two years dwarf those of all who came after him.

I respect anyone’s opinion and political choices but I abhor misrepresentation of facts about anyone.
Before being military Head of State, Buhari had been Governor of one of the Northern States as well as Minister for Petroleum. He later served as Chairman of PTF under Abacha.

He birthed and supervised the establishment of our existing refineries. Today, we import 70% of the fuel we use because those after him have literally crippled the refineries.

Under his regime, there was no religious crisis. It started under his successor!
Buhari’s government reduced inflation from 23% under Shagari to 4%, by fiscal discipline and a homegrown economic team. Nigeria didn’t borrow and yet met all her financial obligations.

He only jailed corrupt leaders. In Ghana, Rawlings killed them and was celebrated for that!
As PTF Chairman, what Buhari did in road construction in that short period hasn’t been matched by any government thereafter. Hospitals and universities around the country never witnessed as much benefits as they got from the PTF from any government after or before that time.

Despite serving in senior capacity in the oil sector, first as Minister for Petroleum and then Petroleum Trust Fund Chairman, Buhari has no petrol station, much less a rig, refinery or an oil block like so many of his contemporaries. He could have retired into nauseating opulence like them but didn’t.

Instead of hobnobbing with the high and mighty, he has cast his lot with the common man most of whom follow him out of hope and belief in his values. He is the only politician in the North today who fills rallies without renting a crowd.

He refused to collect an allowance while serving as Chairman of the PTF because he said since he was already drawing a pension from government, his conscience would not allow him to draw another salary from the purse of the same government from which he was already drawing a pension.

He is the only former head of state that does not own property or land in Abuja.

The man who took over the running of PTF with the aim of probing and indicting Buhari before it was scrapped, was the one who ended up being prosecuted for misappropriating $100m of PTF funds! Every attempt to rubbish Buhari through probes in time past had ended up vindicating him.

He has OPENLY challenged those who accuse him of religious fundamentalism to come out and show proof. I am surprised that no one has till today, taken up the challenge. I HONESTLY wish someone would! His personal driver of many years is a Christian from Plateau State!

Buhari’s government initiated the War Against Indiscipline that has made environmental cleanliness, queuing up, not urinating by the roadside etc, features of our national life even till today. With WAI, Nigerians began to understand basic elements of social responsibility.

For the records, IBB took us into full membership of OIC. Prof Omoruyi, one of Babangida’s hatchet men wrote in 2001, “The period of General Babangida (1985-1993) represented the beginning of unmitigated Islamization of Nigeria. , General Babangida took the fateful decision in 1986 to face the Nigerian Christians in particular and Nigerians in general with the plan of Muslims. He without the approval of the governing organs of the Federal Military Government organized a mission led by a non-member of the Government, the Sultan of Sokoto to formally admit Nigeria into the Organization of Islamic Conference (OIC). When the Chief of General Staff, Commodore Ebitu Ukiwe complained that he knew nothing about it and definitely said that he could not remember the matter coming to the Armed Forces Ruling Council (AFRC), he was shown his way out.”

Was Buhari flawless? If he was, he wouldn’t be human. Tough? Yes. But corrupt? No. Fundamentalist? No proof. Take positions based on facts, not cheap propaganda.
Remember, the sky is not your limit, God is!

Shame on you for recycling this stupid article all over the N/L. This must be the 1000th time somebody is pasting the same piece with a different ID. No wonder you have only 1 post to your ID.
This is article they paste whenever anyone asks for Buhari's achievements grin
Re: Why You'll Never Vote For Muhammadu Buhari? by Demdem(m): 5:03pm On Apr 06, 2011
naijaking1:

Shame on you for recycling this silly article all over the N/L. This must be the 1000th time somebody is pasting the same piece with a different ID. No wonder you have only 1 post to your ID.
This is article they paste whenever anyone asks for Buhari's achievements grin

What about the so called previous attrocities of Buhari that has been repeatedly pasted? what have you said about that? Please free the guy and let him paste it as much as possible because some havent seen it while those who have seen it seems not to understand it since they see no sense in it and yet ask questions this same article has answered.
Re: Why You'll Never Vote For Muhammadu Buhari? by naijaking1: 5:12pm On Apr 06, 2011
^^^
Why don't you paste it yourself!
Why should the guy change his ID and paste the same article over and over again. Itsbb has only one post from simply recycling this old article. I wish the moderators have a rule against such insincereity.
Re: Why You'll Never Vote For Muhammadu Buhari? by jaybee(f): 5:22pm On Apr 06, 2011
rasputinn:

Insurmountable economic problems plagued the Buhari regime as [size=15pt]petroleum prices collapsed in the face of expanding foreign debt[/size].

"Buhari instituted austerity measures that caused severe hardship to the average Nigerian. In addition, political corruption continued unabated, with politicians escaping to Western countries with millions of dollars in government money.
@ poster

how dumb can a poster be ?

Buhari was managing poverty. some of the thieves were escaping. the politicians had killed the economy with heavy debts, while the only source of revenue, oil, was rendered near useless by the collapse of oil prices in the international market. hence the austerity measure. IBB that took over what did he do? he could not do better. he introduced SAP and the rest is now history.
GEJ and his PDP came in when the Oil is at its highest value. Billions of dollars. they are supposed to manage wealth. but they just can not. they have fared worse than those who manged poverty.

your responses as if it is BB that caused the poverty is gorossly misplaced. for any discerning mind, this post will work against your so called GEJ.
Re: Why You'll Never Vote For Muhammadu Buhari? by efisher(m): 5:30pm On Apr 06, 2011
jaybee:

@ poster

Buhari was managing poverty. some of the thieves were escaping. the politicians had killed the economy with heavy debts, while the only source of revenue, oil, was rendered near useless by the collapse of oil prices in the international market. hence the austerity measure. IBB that took over what did he do? he could not do better. he introduced SAP and the rest is now history.
GEJ and his PDP came in when the Oil is at its highest value. Billions of dollars. they are supposed to manage wealth. but they just can not. they have fared worse than those who manged poverty.

your responses as if it is BB that caused the poverty is gorossly misplaced. for any discerning mind, this post will work against your so called GEJ.

There is no excuse for Buhari. What was the economic situation when the man was President? Every government has a challenge. The key challenge then was the economy. It is written all over the history books. What idea did he bring that worked? Why couldn't Buhari attract foreign investment? Instead he made the bad situation worse and almost strangled the people and the economy. Someone like Donald Duke for example, attracted so much investment to his state despite the limited federal allocation he had.

It is only to show you that all the "heaven and earth" that BB is promising is just a mirage. Playing on people's emotions by making them feel he has some special antidote. Let the guy enter that place, then you will see the height of mismanagement. Also, if you open your eyes well, you will know we are way better today than years before. We have forgotten how we lived in terror during Abacha regime. We have forgotten how we never believed we could own mobile phones. We have forgotten what the local content law has done for millions of Nigerians. Many humans are insatiable and will never agree to some facts. They always prefer looking back.
Re: Why You'll Never Vote For Muhammadu Buhari? by naso2(m): 6:11pm On Apr 06, 2011
I just saw the distribution of PTF projects under Buhari, this afternoon in a THISDAY advertorial and i feel like cursing anyone who says this tribal bigot and religious zealot is someone to consider in this time and age.

This man if unfortunately he wins should be prepared to sell groundnut to fund his govt. THE OIL WILL STOP FLOWING. SIMPLE AS A B C.
Re: Why You'll Never Vote For Muhammadu Buhari? by agabaI23(m): 6:18pm On Apr 06, 2011
jaybee:

@ poster

Buhari was managing poverty. some of the thieves were escaping. the politicians had killed the economy with heavy debts, while the only source of revenue, oil, was rendered near useless by the collapse of oil prices in the international market. hence the[b] austerity measure[/b]. IBB that took over what did he do? he could not do better. he introduced SAP and the rest is now history.

Introduced by Shagari
Re: Why You'll Never Vote For Muhammadu Buhari? by LSU: 12:44am On Apr 07, 2011
The new edition of the best seller excerpts written by AUTHEBURCKLEY, expanded by ABDULMALIK LARRY KRAUS ZUBEIRU is out jus now, it has sold more than 1000000000000000000000000 copies, but for our teeming supporters of good conscience and some urchins (leftists) this copy is free of charge* no tax,

" added 31 REASONS WHY BUHARI DOES NOT DESERVE YOUR VOTE

In my books, Buhari is a pretentious anti-corruption fighter. The trajectory of a man's journey in public life matters. For the following reasons I cannot vote for Buhari:

1. He is an oligarch who does not believe in equality before the law. The way he jailed Lateef Jakande, Jim Nwobodo, Ambrose Ali, Pa Adekunle Ajasin, Chief Ayo Ojewumi on cases that had no foundation and allowed Awwal Ibrahim, the then Niger State governor, who was arrested in Heathrow Airport in London with 14 million pounds sterling and several millions of Niara and dollars to be put under house arrest is my evidence. He also allowed Shehu Kangiwa, Sokoto State Governor who conducted and supervised the famous Bakolori Massacre of poor peasant farmers who's land were appropriated without compesation to remain under house arrest.

1(a) Ayo Ojewumi became blind as a result of his imprisonment over false charges and died shortly after.

1 (b) Prof. Ambrose Alli also became blind as a result of this false imprisonment. When he died, he had only one undeveloped plot of land to his name.

1© Pa Adekule Ajasin was never the same after his eventual release and remained sickly for the rest of his life. Whe he died, he never had any property anywhere in the world except the one he had built from his sweat as long term teacher and school principal in Owo township.

2. He put in place a retroactive law that killed three men, innocent men in my book, by public execution.

3. He jailed Ndukar Irabor and Tunde Thompson of the Guardian on stories that were factually true under Decree 4. He had told the Nigerian journalists then that it did not matter whether the story reported was true or not, if his regime did not like it, the writer would go to jail.

4. He supervised the smuggling of 53 suitcases filled with cash through the MMA against the protests of General Tunde Idiagbon and ironically, Abubakar Atiku, the then Director General of the Customs who later became the Vice President and a compromised politician himself. This smuggling of the suit cases was supervised by his ADC, Col. Mustapha Jokolo.

5. He jailed Fela Anikulapo -Kuti on trumped up charges under an emergency law which prompted the sentencing judge to confess that he was ordered to do so and apologised to the late musician. It was Buhari's administration that said it has "decided to deal with this Fela problem once and for all."

6. He convinced all the northern political leaders against allowing the National Identity Card program because according to him, this would unravel the myth of a Northern population majority

7. He is an Islamic fundamentalist, the Bin Laden of Nigeria, who told his northern followers never to vote for anyone who was not a muslim.

8. He is a coup plotter.

9. He has never been able to account to Nigerians what he did with the 20 billion Naira of the Petroleum Trust Fund of which he was the chairman under Sani Abacha.
9(a) He has not been able to point to any project that he prosecuted outside the Northern Nigeria with the so-caled trust fund.

10. He was in full support of all the atrocities of Sani Abacha against the Nigerian people. There is no single record of his criticism of Sani Abacha during those dark days when Nigeria was on precipice. It shows that he is a patriot of convenience and as such unfit to lead the country.

11. Buhari, as part of his tribalistic practices placed President Shagari under house arrest inside a palatial mansion in Ikoyi while he locked up Shagari's Vice, Alex Ekwueme in Kirikiri Prison. Shagari is Hausa/Fulani like him while Alex Ekwueme is an Igboman.

12. Ikemba Emeka Ojukwu, another Igboman who returned from 13years exile just a little over a year then was as well locked up in KiriKiri Prison by mean-hearted Buhari.Up till today we are not told what was Emeka's offence.

13. Busari Adelakun died of ulcer because Buhari refused him to be taken out of prison for immediate medical attention.The then Governor of Ogun State,Bisi Onabanjo suffered similar fate which we were told led to his untimely death.

14. Buhari ransacked the house of our late sage, Obafemi Awolowo and confisticated his International passport. Which civilized democratic society would elect the likes of Buhari as President,the same individual who overthrew an elected President? Never!

15. Plus Buhari having Sam Mbakwe in jail, went for one of Mbakwe's wives. He established himself again for what he was/is letting Mbakwe receive in jailhouse news of the death of another of Mbakwe's two wives. One (I can't remember his name now; Odenigbo?) also died in jail.

16. Buhari's henchman and sponsor, CPC governorship candidate for Kano State, is Mohammed Abacha, the same person that had/ran a personal killing squad, coordinated the killing of Kudirat Abiola & attempted to kill Ibru; and also stashed money in underground tanks, all less than 13 years ago, Nigerians have very short selective memory. Shame

?17. Buhari discriminated against persons from other ethnic groups/faiths; and that as PTF Chairman, he employed an overwhelming number of Fulani/Hausa/Moslem people at the detriment of other groups and concentrated PTF projects in the Nort, h. If in doubt read El Rufai's testimony where he wrote about Katsina boys who used the money they made at PTF to bankroll Yar'Adua's election in 1999.

18. Buhari is unforgiving. When he "took over" by coup in 1983, he even remembered an article written a very very long time ago by Bisi Onabanjo ('The Mallams are coming') and a later one in which Onabanjo wrote that people should watch out for that "gangly officer from the north" after Buhari gave a no holds barred speech at some Army functions where he was reported to be very openly pro Fulani and pro Islam to the exclusive of all else and also talked about termination of democratic rule. For that, Onabanjo got one of the harshest jail terms and treatments.

19. Buhari intolerance is worse than Obasanjo's. When he was adopted as the ANPP's candidate on the night of the party's Primaries without prior warning to the other candidates (and a few of them protested), Buhari got up and made a speech that those people must be disciplined. I subsequently saw him on BBC's "hard talk" and he frightened me and the interviewer with his archaic and fundamentalist intolerant views. His understanding and articulation is very much in doubt.

20. The evil genius, IBB and his crew similarly ran rings around Buhari. On the 10th anniversary of Abacha's demise, Buhari said that Abacha stole nothing from Nigeria! Despite millions of Dollars recovered from banks around the world and the Abacha family signing a formal agreement to return over $1 billion dollars, Buhari still said that Abacha's stealing remains an unproved allegation!!!! Why? Because Abacha set Buhari up like an emperor and let him use oil money from the Niger Delta to develop the North without supervision or questions.

21. Buhari snubbed the same Nigerians he now wants their votes by refusing to appear before Justice Oputa Truth and Reconciliation Panel. Despite the fact that Buhari knew how inportant reconciliation is to the stability of democracy. Buhari has never apologised at anytime.

22. Buhari executed Lawal Ojuolape (30), Bernard Ogedengbe (29) and Bartholomew Owoh (26). To put it quite plainly, one of those three – Ogedengbe - was executed for a crime that did not carry a capital forfeit at the time it was committed. and At the time Ogedengbe committed the crime it did not carry that punishment. If we must live as civilised citizens we must go by the rules. Article 11.2 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights reads: "No one shall be held guilty of any penal offence on account of any act or omission WHICH DID NOT CONSTITUTE A PENAL OFFENCE, under national or international law at the time when it was committed. NOR SHALL A HEAVIER PUNISHMENT BE IMPOSED THAN THE ONE THAT WAS APPLICABLE AT THE TIME THE PENAL OFFENCE WAS COMMITTED. Killing people with retroactive laws is not the civilised thing to do - and for as long as we will have people who refuse to see the truth only because their heroes are inching to rule when they have not purged themselves we will continue to wallow in misery.
23. Let’s informed Buhari that Lateef Jakande’s $60 million metro rail project for Lagos, which he cancelled immediately after he over-threw the Second Republic, has now accumulated a debt profile of over $3 billion for Lagos State, making the state the most indebted state to Paris Club in the federation.
24 let also remind Buhari that Gbolahan Mudashiru, his Military Administrator for Lagos State, alerted him on the clause in the contract agreement that would yoke the state to this debt, if the contract was cancelled unilaterally, and that he replied Mudashiru, that he didn’t care a damn.Though the fund for the execution of that project which would have given the people of Lagos an intra-city light train transport system would not have come from Buhari’s Supreme Military Council, General Buhari, as Military Head of State, cancelled this wonderful project of the state government, with ethnicity on his mind.
25. Let us again tell him that his action of jailing Dr Alex Ekwueme, then Nigeria’s vice president, from Anambra, and keeping President Shehu Shagari, from Sokoto State in a house arrest in Ikoyi was also ethnically fired.
26. So also was the shorter end of the stick he handed the South, as chair of Petroleum Trust Fund (PTF), in the execution of projects.
27. Shagari’s regime (1979-1983), incurred Buhari’s wrath when it decided to investigate the US$2.8 billion that disappeared from the Midland Bank, London account of the Nigerian National Petroleum Cooperation, (NNPC), during General Obasanjo’s era as military head of state that preceded Shagari’s. Dr. Olusola Saraki, Turaki of Ilorin, was the majority party leader of the Senate at the time and he headed the Senate Committee set up to trace the stolen money after some three years of clamour for such an investigation by members of the civil society. The money was traced to the Midland Bank London branch fixed account of Buhari, Obasanjo’s appointee as military head of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company. The Committee’s report was presented to the Senate during the tail end of Shagari’s regime in 1983, so the House decided to deal with the matter soon after the 1983 general elections.
28. He locked up without trial, politicians and critics including Fela Anikulapo-Kuti, notorious for clamouring for the exposure of the oil money rogue. Vera Ifudu, who was an NTA reporter then, was sacked through his prodding as military ruler, for reporting what Dr. Olusola Saraki had told her in an interview about how the missing money was traced to Buhari’s account at a Midland Bank London branch. Vera eventually won her case of wrongful dismissal in court against the NTA and was financially compensated.
29. Abacha rehabilitated Buhari with the chairmanship of the Petroleum Trust Fund (PTF) before he (Abacha) died in 1998. When Obasanjo returned to power in May 1999 as civilian president, he found that over 2.5 billion naira had not been properly accounted for in the PTF and that there was not much on the ground to show for the colossal expenditure the agency was claiming. On the day Obasanjo announced the scrapping of the PTF, a non-staff brother-in-law of the boss, allegedly serving as his conduit on some PTF projects, died suddenly from what appeared to be heart failure.
30. Buhari’s conflicting statements on the money laundering charges involving his ADC in 1984 on the 53 suit cases saga, has indicted him.
31. He should reveal to us his health status… Buhari at 69 yr old is a clear liability on Nigeria and Nigerians is Nigeria a health insurance scheme?

If Nigerians reward dangerous, insensitive, dishonest, mean, cruel, partial, egoistic, religious, fundamendalist, conscienceless human beings like MOHAMMADU BUHARI with the presidency of Nigeria with his kind of track record, then why do we still wonder why Nigeria has not and will not make it?

I can not in good conscience support Buhari's candidacy on the above grounds. I wish we have intelligent people who know what democracy means. I wish we have civilized minds. However, I am 100 percent sure that Buhari will never again rule Nigeria.
It is clear that apart from the states of the North-West and North-East, his Congress for Political Change (CPC) would hardly earn 25 per cent of the total number of votes cast in the remaining states of the federation. By implication, two zones just cannot earn Buhari the presidency he is looking for, no matter their voting strength.
Re: Why You'll Never Vote For Muhammadu Buhari? by aletheia(m): 4:05am On Apr 07, 2011
^^^Add this: General Buhari banned the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) thus triggering a series of events that led to the continued Brain Drain of Nigerian Doctors even up to this day. He also banned the National Association of Nigerian Students.
Re: Why You'll Never Vote For Muhammadu Buhari? by naijaking1: 4:33am On Apr 07, 2011
^^^
THanks, almost forgot that too.
Re: Why You'll Never Vote For Muhammadu Buhari? by jobadmin(m): 4:45am On Apr 07, 2011
it is the God and masses interest that will see him to the place
Re: Why You'll Never Vote For Muhammadu Buhari? by Demdem(m): 8:13am On Apr 07, 2011
naijaking1:

^^^
Why don't you paste it yourself!
Why should the guy change his ID and paste the same article over and over again. Itsbb has only one post from simply recycling this old article. I wish the moderators have a rule against such insincereity.

The guy has a single post and so what? he is probably new here. If there is need for me to post it i will and will again as long as forum rules aint broken. I am still asking you what you have done about the previous attrocities of Buhari that have been pasted severally. What have you said about it?
Re: Why You'll Never Vote For Muhammadu Buhari? by agabaI23(m): 9:49am On Apr 07, 2011
Demdem:

The guy has a single post and so what? he is probably new here. If there is need for me to post it i will and will again as long as forum rules aint broken. I am still  asking you what you have done about the [b]previous attrocities [/b]of Buhari that have been pasted severally. What have you said about it?
Oh mai gaskyia, your saviour, the gentle man who is so humble and unassuming perpetrated atrocities? Good morning!
Re: Why You'll Never Vote For Muhammadu Buhari? by babytoun: 10:09am On Apr 07, 2011

Buhari, while speaking in Lagos on Wednesday at the presentation of his party manifesto, said when he got into power, the relatively stable economy, which was handed over to the government of Alhaji Shehu Shagari, had been badly plundered and corruption was rife in every sector. He added that the rail line project was meant to cost N100m, which was a large sum of money then, and the Federal Government was asked to guarantee the loan meant for the project.

He said, “Then, we didn’t know how much debt was on us as a nation and we felt that we should not add another N100m to it. I had to set up two committees to assess how much we owed and we promised not to take more loans or to devalue the naira but to develop the economy.”

are you surprised? this man only has dan fodio kind of islamic zeal. he lacks brain capacity to even manage a local govt.
Re: Why You'll Never Vote For Muhammadu Buhari? by babytoun: 10:27am On Apr 07, 2011
Buhari/Bakare combo looks more like an inter-religious council.

One sharia extremist teaming up with one pastor. I guess they will spend most of their time trying to reach a common ground between the quran and the bible. No space and wherewithal left for real governance
Re: Why You'll Never Vote For Muhammadu Buhari? by Johns83: 10:32am On Apr 07, 2011
As a colonel in the Nigerian Army and managing director of NNPC in 1977, the lump sum of N2.8 billion was said to have disappeared under his watch up till today nobody can say what happened to that money.
The statement unbecoming of any honest man is to say that General Abacha did not loot Nigeria. Immediately General Abdulsalami took over in 1998, the NTA and all other news media in Nigeria were awash with the fact that Mohammed Abacha had seven million US dollars cash with him in Aso Rock Villa when his father died. His Mother Maryam Abacha was reported to have three million US dollars cash.

Mohammed Abacha who never worked for one day all his life is now the gubernatorial candidate of CPC, General Buhari’s party in Kano State. General Buhari where did Mohammed Abacha get the money he is using to campaign?

In January 2006, the Embassy of Switzerland Charge D’ Affaires in Abuja, one Mr. Fabio Baiardi announced to the Nigerian press that his home government had repatriated 1.3 billion US dollars out of the five billion Abacha loot in Swiss banks back to Nigeria from 2000 to 2005. Curiously in 2008 in Kano, General Buhari was quoted to have said Abacha did not loot Nigeria. It is understandable that General Buhari served under General Abacha as PTF chairman but it is a high point of dishonesty to say Abacha never looted Nigeria! Haba Buhari.

As for the Oputa panel, no honest and reasonable person will run away from any law however mundane it is. Unfortunately for General Buhari he refused to appear before the Justice Oputa panel which was just a fact finding committee headed by an eminent jurist like Justice Oputa. If General Buhari is clean and honest why did he run away from the Oputa panel?

His foot soldiers are quick to mention PTF as a success, yet it is on record that roads in the south like the Lagos-Ore-Benin road, the Ibadan-Ilorin-Jebba road, the Ibadan-Ife-Akure and Lokoja roads were never re-habilitated during the PTF years. It was Chief Obasanjo’s government that gave contract for the re-habilitation of the Abuja-Lokoja-Akure road.

Under his watch at PTF, his late brother in-law Alhaji Salhijo Ahmed became a billionaire and so were many others. Therefore for people to claim that General Buhari is a decent man is a fallacy.
General Buhari is always a weak leader and has always acted before thinking. His sharia statement in Sokoto in 2000, his recent call to war statement at his rally in Kaduna are classical examples of his putting his foot in his mouth.

It is also obvious that the CPC he has formed has now been hijacked by some few cabals and is seen in the acrimonious primaries that were conducted in various states in the north.

As if he does not learn from his past mistakes, he jumps from one mistake to the other in his political odyssey. His selection of the cantankerous Pastor Tunde Bakare may be the last straw that will break his political back. It is on record that there is no love lost between Tunde Bakare and other Pentecostal Pastors nationwide. He is one person who claims to be pious and condemns other pastors. He is simply dropping the name of the revered man of God Pastor EA Adeboye. By the way we saw Pastor EA Adeboye pray for Dr Goodluck Jonathan live on TV too.

It is also true that General Buhari has visited Pastor EA Adeboye of RCCG. It might do him well to visit Pastor WF Kumuyi of Deeper Life, Bishop Oyedepo of Winners Chapel, Dr Odukoya of Mountain of Miracle and Fire as well as all the Catholic Reverend Fathers and all ECWA Pastors if he wants to placate Christians and win their votes.

http://www.therealbuhari.
Re: Why You'll Never Vote For Muhammadu Buhari? by Demdem(m): 10:57am On Apr 07, 2011
agabaI23:

Oh mai gaskyia, your saviour, the gentle man who is so humble and unassuming perpetrated atrocities? Good morning!

oga check my first post on this issue, i did say so called attrocities. Anyway, no one is denying the fact that some uncomfortable things were done by the militarygovt which Buhari headed and such and even worse things are expected from military govt all over the world. This is a civillian and democratic setting, and the question should be >>>>> are these things possible in this democratic setting? The answer is most likely No so please stop instilling fear on the minds of Nigerians.
Buhari might not be the saviour but is the best so far among the miserable rest
Re: Why You'll Never Vote For Muhammadu Buhari? by agabaI23(m): 11:01am On Apr 07, 2011
Demdem:

oga check my first post on this issue, i did say so called attrocities. Anyway, no one is denying the fact that some uncomfortable things were done by the militarygovt which Buhari headed and such and even worse things are expected from military govt all over the world. This is a civillian and democratic setting, and the question should be >>>>> are these things possible in this democratic setting? The answer is most likely No so please stop instilling fear on the minds of Nigerians.
Buhari might not be the saviour but is the best so far among the miserable rest
No sir you did not say 'so called'

I did not modify your post please go check. So called is an after thought. Your mind is actually telling you the truth but you choose not to listen.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Power Generation Drops From 4,708.3MW To 2,938MW / Malami Rejects Call To Pay Recovered Loot Into Federation Account / Tinubu Hunts For Talents, Says Akeredolu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.