Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,748 members, 7,820,584 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:35 PM

Undetected Sickle Celler - Family (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Undetected Sickle Celler (72194 Views)

Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? / Nigerian Man Marries With ‘fake’ Genotype, Abandons Wife With ‘sickle Cell’ Kids / Advice Concerning : Undetected Sickle Celler (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by chocolatelady(f): 10:44pm On Jan 30, 2021
Genotype test is one of the most sensitive test done in the lab. As a result of its sensitivity, it is usually done at night by a lab personnel on night shift so that she/he can concentrate without any mistake. When I worked in the lab as an IT students those days at Havana Hospital Surulere Lagos, Genotyoe test is mostly done at night. I have to plead for them to do one during the day so that I can learn how to do it. Best thing is to do it in a Private hospital and then do the confirmation in a Government Hospital.
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by pragmatistm(m): 10:46pm On Jan 30, 2021
nicelaw:

You have stubbornly refuse to listen to people's take on the matter from your responses. You and your friend are evil and looking for someone to justify your evil deeds..
angry angry

Oga take your negativity go front. What evil did I do for God's sake? I'm I God or was I there when they got married? Why are some Nigerians this poorly wired mentally?
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by udomma1005(m): 10:46pm On Jan 30, 2021
pragmatistm:

I tell you, she is a very upright person but the fault is with the inexperienced personnels in the various labs.

I need the medical persons to come and say something on this matter. I have just learned that to detect certain AS genotype used to be problematic in the laboratories. Please medical people, over to you.
Stop talking as a cow rearer for crying out loud!
Commentators above are stating their discomfort with the frequency of tests before daughter's result & after but you are here trying to defend what most of us think is arrant nonsense. Allow the lady to come up here to give a part of the fable that is missing.... or maybe you don't know that part
Don't go about defending "she's upright, she's upright" becos na so una defend the walking dead for Aso villa till we see wetin we dey see so.

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by lushak(m): 10:48pm On Jan 30, 2021
Winneygirl:
As she is not the one making the post, there must be something we don't know yet.

Most people don't do genotype testing 7 times.
If you're AA, you do maybe one confirmatory test before marriage, that's all.

Why was she running up and down doing genotype test?
It is because she knew she was AS long ago.

Thank u a million times my dear! You are wise and very intelligent at reading meaning. I think u said it all...
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by JovialJune(f): 10:50pm On Jan 30, 2021
FanOfMyself:

Says who? I'm Igbo and it can overwork. Unless you are tribalistic

You are bold sha, let's just be friends here smiley
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by pepetua(m): 10:50pm On Jan 30, 2021
Nairalanders please lend me your ears and hear the truth of the whole story, this woman was scammed by the doctors that conducted the whole 7 text, in collaboration with her husband who was afraid to lose her,the woman already knew that she is AS and told her husband who
demanded another test to be run at those designed places programmed by the husband behind the scene thereby wallowing on a false faith that he might probably not giving birth to SS. Case Closed.
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by udomma1005(m): 10:51pm On Jan 30, 2021
pragmatistm:

Oga take your negativity go front. What evil did I do for God's sake? Why are sone Nigerians are this poorly wired mentally?
So true, a Nigerian here is poorly wired, we know and we know it's YOU!
Don't defend nonsense, else people will see you as not having any sense of wisdom! tongue
Let the client you are defending, brief you well, we know there's a laguna somewhere, pls. cool
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Ibfpleasant(m): 10:52pm On Jan 30, 2021
Caaz:
Maybe her kid was interchanged at birth or something.
the op said the woman was later tested AS after she was AA before committing herself to marriage while the man was AS. You should have allow the drs or medical personnel to talk.
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by pragmatistm(m): 10:52pm On Jan 30, 2021
udomma1005:

Stop talking as a cow rearer for crying out loud!
Commentators above are stating their discomfort with the frequency of tests before daughter's result & after but you are here trying to defend what most of us think is arrant nonsense. Allow the lady to come up here to give a part of the fable that is missing.... or maybe you don't know that part
Don't go about defending "she's upright, she's upright" becos na so una defend the walking dead for Aso villa till we see wetin we dey see so.
In your simple mental reasoning, because you have met many people not innocent or upright, there's no innocent or upright person again in this world?

Because you know nothing about science and medical field, your myopic reasoning should become law right?

1 Like

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by gfullmoon(m): 10:53pm On Jan 30, 2021
pragmatistm:
Good day family people. Please what can you do in this case?

My neighbour's second child, 5 year old girl that used to fall sick often was just recently confirmed sickle celler much to the surprise of the parents and all of us. But that is not even the issue.

The real issue is that the parents tested to know their genotype before marriage and the father was known to be AS and the mother AA. The woman went to 5 different hospitals and laboratories, government and private, to confim her genotype before committing to marriage with the man. After their marriage and during her two antenatal in the hospital, she tested her blood each time again and her genotype was still confirmed AA. Now suddenly when her daughter was fallen sick often she requested for genotype test for the daughter and it was confirmed she was SS. That made the doctor to ask the mother to go for genotype test again and it turned out as AS.

Please how do you explain this family people and doctors in the house? What do you do to those that conducted the 7 previous tests both in government and private hospitals?

This is simply a case of a woman who had been frolicking with "men of God" to change her genotype from AS to AA. This could be the real reason for the multiple reconfirmations. They will never tell you this!
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by udomma1005(m): 10:55pm On Jan 30, 2021
pepetua:
Nairalanders please lend me your ears and hear the truth of the whole story, this woman was scammed by the doctors that conducted the whole 7 text, in collaboration with her husband who was afraid to lose her,the woman already knew that she is AS and told her husband who
demanded another test to be run at those designed places programmed by the husband behind the scene thereby wallowing on a false faith that he might probably not giving birth to SS. Case Closed.
Hmmmmmmmm mm!
Could this be true

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Mac12(f): 10:56pm On Jan 30, 2021
Winneygirl:
As she is not the one making the post, there must be something we don't know yet.

Most people don't do genotype testing 7 times.
If you're AA, you do maybe one confirmatory test before marriage, that's all.

Why was she running up and down doing genotype test?
It is because she knew she was AS long ago.

I am AA and have done series of genotype test, not because I'm not sure but a necessity from whosoever that needs it. (In school, antenatal, marriage)
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Nobody: 10:56pm On Jan 30, 2021
pragmatistm:
She felt she might not be AA because she does not often fall sick like it used to happen to most AAs. That's why she did it repeatedly before marriage.
She didn’t feel anything, it seems more like she knew she was AS but was shocked she got AA so she kept going to Labs until the 7th time. Normal people don’t do genotype test 7 times before marriage, unless they are looking for what they’ve hidden.
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by cooooooks(m): 10:56pm On Jan 30, 2021
Past tense?

Chii59:

How's your wife? You must have loved her deeply.
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by cooooooks(m): 10:57pm On Jan 30, 2021
Are you sure she did not buy the AA test?

pragmatistm:

My neighbour's second child, 5 year old girl that used to fall sick often was just recently confirmed sickle celler much to the surprise of the parents and all of us. But that is not even the issue.

The real issue is that the parents tested to know their genotype before marriage and the father was known to be AS and the mother AA. The woman went to 5 different hospitals and laboratories, government and private, to confim her genotype before committing to marriage with the man. After their marriage and during her two antenatal in the hospital, she tested her blood each time again and her genotype was still confirmed AA. Now suddenly when her daughter was fallen sick often she requested for genotype test for the daughter and it was confirmed she was SS. That made the doctor to ask the mother to go for genotype test again and it turned out as AS.

Please how do you explain this family people and doctors in the house? What do you do to those that conducted the 7 previous tests both in government and private hospitals?
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by shege45: 10:58pm On Jan 30, 2021
NoToPile:

Not necessarily @ bolded she was most likely trying to be very sure she was AA ( Knowing how often these mistakes happen ) because she knows her fiancee is AS to avoid stuffs like this.

Its simple if you want to marry an AS, its common sense to confirm, confirm and reconfirm your AA status.
twice is enough. 7 times is fishy
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Nobody: 10:59pm On Jan 30, 2021
NoToPile:

Not necessarily @ bolded she was most likely trying to be very sure she was AA ( Knowing how often these mistakes happen ) because she knows her fiancee is AS to avoid stuffs like this.

Its simple if you want to marry an AS, its common sense to confirm, confirm and reconfirm your AA status.
Lol 7 times.
1. AA
2. AA
3. AA
4. AA (didn’t stop)
5. AA (kept going)
6. AA (keep the test coming)
7. AA (keep it keep it coming)

After finding out the child is AS
8. AS.
Lol, who is fooling who. She seemed to have done 7 test most likely because when she was a child she was told she was AS. Ask for mom if you want the truth

1 Like

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by pragmatistm(m): 11:00pm On Jan 30, 2021
theAccountant:

She didn’t feel anything, it seems more like she knew she was AS but was shocked she got AA so she kept going to Labs until the 7th time. Normal people don’t do genotype test 7 times before marriage, unless they are looking for what they’ve hidden.

You missed it. Five times before and two times after marriage.
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by udomma1005(m): 11:01pm On Jan 30, 2021
pragmatistm:
In your simple mental reasoning, because you have met many people not innocent or upright, there's no innocent or upright person again in this world?

Because you know nothing about science and medical field, your myopic reasoning should become law right?
Go ahead and display your folly to apex proportions! That you know much about science & medical practices, Nairaland is the Laboratory to substantiate your sordid story, friend to Upright grin
Keep clowning, Clown

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by pragmatistm(m): 11:01pm On Jan 30, 2021
theAccountant:

You missed it. Five times before and two times after marriage. Read well dir.
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Emeka71(m): 11:01pm On Jan 30, 2021
Ishilove:

The woman has not yet told us how that child turned out to be SS. I put it to you that she was always AS and she knew, but maybe desperation pushed her into lying to her husband about her genotype. How can she consistently do tests over a number of years and the result is always AA, but this one time when the child is confirmed to have sickle cell anemia, she does another test and voila, she is AS. Just one time.

She is a liar and a very terrible person. Now she has brought an innocent child to suffer
You sound so right.
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by adebopo: 11:01pm On Jan 30, 2021
Caaz:
Maybe her kid was interchanged at birth or something.
Even at that what about the genotype that was AA b4 it is now AS. probably some one is not saying the truth or mix-up some where
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Nobody: 11:02pm On Jan 30, 2021
pragmatistm:

You missed it. Five times before and two times after marriage.

7 times, 7 labs all made the same mistake. Then it took the 8th miraculous lab to get it right after the Truth as come to light. Phew

Was she above 31 before getting married?
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by REALretep(m): 11:03pm On Jan 30, 2021
pragmatistm:

Mehnnnn...this story reminds me of a friend who has been AA right from birth but when one guy became serious with her and she ran tests, her genotype came out AS several times. It's really really crazy. It baffled everyone including her nurse who is even a nurse.
Maybe these kind of cases are what science refers to as mutation... it's really not funny at all
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Emeka71(m): 11:04pm On Jan 30, 2021
JovialJune:

You are bold sha, let's just be friends here smiley
Me too.
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by excel101(m): 11:04pm On Jan 30, 2021
pragmatistm:

I tell you, she is a very upright person but the fault is with the inexperienced personnels in the various labs.

I need the medical persons to come and say something on this matter. I have just learned that to detect certain AS genotype used to be problematic in the laboratories. Please medical people, over to you.
Please explain what you just said that "the fault is from the inexperienced personnel" from 4 different labs, and also how did you know that the the said woman is upright.
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by pragmatistm(m): 11:06pm On Jan 30, 2021
udomma1005:

Go ahead and display your folly to apex proportions! That you know much about science & medical practices, Nairaland is the Laboratory to substantiate your sordid story, friend to Upright grin
Keep clowning, Clown
You are not a serious person because you can't read simple report to understand. If she lied about her genotype before marriage, what about during her two antenatal in a government hospital?

How stupidly you people can reason? Laboratory practitioners and doctors say her situation is possible, you naive and self-wise people of nairanland kept on ignorantly castigating her and even me that posted the issue. Can life be more ridiculous?
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by udomma1005(m): 11:09pm On Jan 30, 2021
pragmatistm:

Besides, get my stance straight if you can, though I doubt you won't!
I don't have any biznez judging if your laboratory specimen is upright or not, I care less but your presentation of the story is so not upright
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Nobody: 11:10pm On Jan 30, 2021
cooooooks:
Past tense?

No. I mean he must have loved her deeply to marry her despite her health condition. It's not common, at least, to my knowledge.

1 Like

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by udomma1005(m): 11:12pm On Jan 30, 2021
pragmatistm:
You are not a serious person because you can't read simple report to understand. If she lied about her genotype before marriage, what about during her two antenatal in a government hospital?

How stupidly you people can reason? Laboratory practitioners and doctors say her situation is possible, you naive and self-wise people of nairanland kept on ignorantly castigating her and even me that posted the issue. Can life be more ridiculous?
When everybody thinks you are stupid by deeds or words, then know that you are truly STUPID!
Do have a pleasant night!

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by pragmatistm(m): 11:13pm On Jan 30, 2021
studentofTruth:

It is possible the woman is AA, but is most likely is a beta thalassemia carrier, which most Nigerian labs don't test for!

The child inherited a HbS gene from the father and a beta thalassemia gene from the mother.

Here's what is likely going on in the child:

The thalassemic Hb gene from the mother cannot produce any reasonable hemoglobin.
The HbS gene from the father produces sickled hemoglobin.

The end result is the child having sickled hemoglobin in his/her blood, which Nigerian labs would tag SS.
Thanks for this medical angle. Most posters here know nothing about genotype issues and are all poorly wired mentally because of their half-baked Nigerian education.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (19) (Reply)

“If You Fight My Side Chick, I Will Upgrade Her To Wife” - Nigerian Man. / I Fainted When My Wife Said Our Former Neighbor Is The Father Of Our Child / Newly Married Lady Got Stuck In Sex With Another Man In School Caught By Husband

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 144
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.