Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,063 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:26 AM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (154) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (964993 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (151) (152) (153) (154) (155) (156) (157) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by danyegbule: 9:39pm On Aug 06, 2015
Eggcelent:
danyegbule. Your birds should be consuming about 45kg of feeds daily at their age. Therefore, you need not worry about possible under-feeding. Trueigbo. As noted by others; your birds are consuming just about enough feeds daily. It's really immaterial if the feeding trough is empty of food. The important thing is that they have the full complement of feeds for a day; and that is just a little over 2 bags. Success. jamp. How far with your new birds? Delay in laying my hands on needed funds has stopped me (temporarily) from stocking.
@eggcelent. Thanks man... I appreciate your prompt response.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by segun1976: 10:07pm On Aug 06, 2015
chidile:
fellow poultry farmers, hope your birds are all doing well. my ogas at the top,my good news is that my birds of 25weeks are giving me almost 70% out put in their production. the egg glut here is killing me.they are pricing the egg for 500,pls what can I do to increase the sizes of their egg.thanks
Please where is your location? I do no feel/see any glut around here (Lagos). Farmers what is the situation in your areas?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kelvin96: 10:40pm On Aug 06, 2015
eluyebamayowa:
Pls can any1 help me wit dis...My 7wks Cockrels ar seriously peckin on one anoda,inflicting injury on demselves to d xtent of removin one's crop(base of dia mouth wia food ar store temporarily) nd they ar nt ovapopulated,i feed them as @wen due..
Apart 4rm debeakin dem,is dia oda solution?am still goin 2 Decmber

You are not feeding them enough....... please feed dem well and they will stop pecking theirselves. I just sold 3000 cockerels and at some stage they were eating theirselves especially at their crop,because i was short feeding them.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 10:54pm On Aug 06, 2015
tunezvic:
Due to excessive use of drugs for treatment of respiratory disease, my 24 weeks layers 15% production has dropped to 8% which am really worried about . please what can i do to increase the production rapidly coz they really eating deep into my pocket . feeding 3000 plus layers is not easy... Will appreciate your suggestions.
Cc: eggcelent, FarmTech, fnks, omotititi and my other oga in house... I need your help.
Vitamins and extra light if u can. http://www.farmersjoint.com/Thread-Chickens-How-Often-Should-Multivits-be-Given-to-Chickens

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 10:58pm On Aug 06, 2015
Ayostically:

ok. the egg size of the 1 laying has appreciated from being small, though not very large.
as per the light, daylight naturally lasts till 7pm when I turn on the bulb in the cage till abou 10pm. hope thats ok?
Ok, but u must be consistent. If nepa takes light u shud give them an alternative light.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 11:04pm On Aug 06, 2015
chidile:
fellow poultry farmers, hope your birds are all doing well. my ogas at the top,my good news is that my birds of 25weeks are giving me almost 70% out put in their production. the egg glut here is killing me.they are pricing the egg for 500,pls what can I do to increase the sizes of their egg.thanks
Checkout How to Get Larger Eggs From Egg Layers

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eggcelent(m): 10:20am On Aug 07, 2015
tunezvic. I feel your pains; incurring further expenses on birds at a time you expect them to be feeding themselves isn't a joke. I'll like to ask the KG of feeds you're giving them daily. And whether the feed is self-milled or finished feeds. And are you sure they ain't suffering from ND or any viral issue? And are you consistent with photo-stimulation (if you do it)?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by just4just: 10:46am On Aug 07, 2015
Eggcelent:
tunezvic. I feel your pains; incurring further expenses on birds at a time you expect them to be feeding themselves isn't a joke. I'll like to ask the KG of feeds you're giving them daily. And whether the feed is self-milled or finished feeds. And are you sure they ain't suffering from ND or any viral issue? And are you consistent with photo-stimulation (if you do it)?

What is photo-stimulation
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tunezvic(m): 10:58am On Aug 07, 2015
Eggcelent:
before issue of treatment, their production was increasing with 2 crate per day and due to incident of prolapse I had to cut their feed into half but increased it to 300kg per day 4 days ago. I didn't photostimulate the birds to lay due to lack of electricity and since I can't do it consistently because of the cost of powering my diesel engine..
Note: I mill the feed my self.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Denn(m): 11:16am On Aug 07, 2015
A month old...broilers...first attempt.

I need some advice.

The birds are feeding well but I have noticed some kind of sleeping.

Some mortalities have been occurring too...

Droppings look normal.

Gumboro, lasotan vaccinations on schedule. Antibiotics and multivitamins on schedule too.

What could be happening?

Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tunezvic(m): 11:17am On Aug 07, 2015
At segun1976, how are your birds?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tunezvic(m): 11:22am On Aug 07, 2015
Denn:
A month old...broilers...first attempt.

I need some advice.

The birds are feeding well but I have noticed some kind of sleeping.

Some mortalities have been occurring too...

Droppings look normal.

Gumboro, lasotan vaccinations on schedule. Antibiotics and multivitamins on schedule too.

What could be happening?

Thanks
from your symptoms, it clear indication that your broilers are down with Newcastle disease.. Give them Idosteryl dosage of 30 ml per 20 litre of water and 2 teaspoon of keproceryl for 5 days..
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Denn(m): 11:40am On Aug 07, 2015
tunezvic:
from your symptoms, it clear indication that your broilers are down with Newcastle disease.. How many weeks are your birds?

5 weeks

What can we do?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eggcelent(m): 12:42pm On Aug 07, 2015
tunezvic. The production will increase significantly in the next few days. My take is that the drop in production was occasioned by reduction in daily feeds supplied. You don't do that with birds just entering into lay. Rather, you significantly increase their feeds intake. Maintain their daily consumption at between 100 - 110g/bird for the next fortnight. All things being equal, production should rise to minimum 75% by then. Success. just4just. Laying birds need between 16 & 17 hours of daylight to lay optimally. Natural day length is about 13 hours in Nigeria. Therefore, to stimulate your birds into early/optimal laying, you may wish to give them extra light (photo) for about 4 hours each day, say from 6 to 10pm starting from when their average bodyweight is 1.5kg, usually achievable around 16/17 weeks of age.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by segun1976: 1:23pm On Aug 07, 2015
tunezvic:
At segun1976, how are your birds?
@Tunzvic, yhanks so much.
I reported on this forum the issues we had in July. After that was resolved excessive pecking (leading to mortalities) has been our challenge in the past two weeks. From knowledge i have gained now, this may have occured due to the severe reuction in feed (this was supposed to be a solution to the over-weight problem).

We increased the feed back to 105g/bird/day and added salt to their water.

Production has gone down (back to 55% from 65%). Watching to see an improvement with the measures we have taken.

I'm also suspecting pilfering!

It is well.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tunezvic(m): 2:21pm On Aug 07, 2015
Eggcelent:
tunezvic. The production will increase significantly in the next few days. My take is that the drop in production was occasioned by reduction in daily feeds supplied. You don't do that with birds just entering into lay. Rather, you significantly increase their feeds intake. Maintain their daily consumption at between 100 - 110g/bird for the next fortnight. All things being equal, production should rise to minimum 75% by then. Success. just4fust. Laying birds need between 16 & 17 hours of daylight to lay optimally. Natural day length is about 13 hours in Nigeria. Therefore, to stimulate your birds into early/optimal laying, you may wish to give them extra light (photo) for about 4 hours each day, say from 6 to 10pm starting from when their average bodyweight is 1.5kg, usually achievable around 16/17 weeks of age.
thanks for your response..I will do what you advised..thanks a lot.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tunezvic(m): 2:40pm On Aug 07, 2015
segun1976:

@Tunzvic, yhanks so much.
I reported on this forum the issues we had in July. After that was resolved excessive pecking (leading to mortalities) has been our challenge in the past two weeks. From knowledge i have gained now, this may have occured due to the severe reuction in feed (this was supposed to be a solution to the over-weight problem).

We increased the feed back to 105g/bird/day and added salt to their water.

Production has gone down (back to 55% from 65%). Watching to see an improvement with the measures we have taken.

I'm also suspecting pilfering!
I
It is well.
pertaining to the issue of pilfering, I think you should start visiting more often to confirm the percentage of your production yourself.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by segun1976: 2:56pm On Aug 07, 2015
tunezvic:
pertaining to the issue of pilfering, I think you should start visiting more often to confirm the percentage of your production yourself.
Yes, more frequent bisits but since you dont close with them they can still do and undo.

My plan is to take some days off work and pay a surprise visit- open and close with them. Would do this for two to three consecutive days and see if production is significantly different from what they have been recording.

Please any other advice is welcome.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by endy247(f): 9:34pm On Aug 07, 2015
chidile:
where is ur farm located.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davidzfarm18(m): 10:02pm On Aug 07, 2015
@segun1976. You need to do this ASAP.
1.Close from work early on Friday b4 the feeding time. ensure you supervise the evening feeding for that day.
2.Get to the farm as early as 6:30am on Saturday, supervise the morning feeding. avoid any distraction and. supervise the egg collection for that day and the feeding. if you repeat this on Sunday. You will get the average consumption for your birds and the laying % pattern.
you shouldn't leave the farm till about 7pm. this is because few birds will lay immediately after the evening feeding (my experience) . Regards

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tabontabon: 11:10pm On Aug 07, 2015
I Just Want To Chip In This: The Weather Has Been Unsually Cold And Windy Due To Lack Of Rain(especially Southwest) Thus Creating A Harsh Environment For The Birds Leading To Low/sharp Drop In Production.
What This Means Is The Birds Need More 'ENERGY' in order to keep warm and produce optimally(if They Dont Get Enough Energy,they Convert What They Get To Body Maintainance).
3 OPTIONS are available:
1. Increase Their Feed Quantity
2. Switch To A Energy Dense Feed(feed With High Energy)
3. Use Concentrate And Increase The Maize Quantity Slightly Above The Label Quantity.
I Write This From Recent Experience.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Judithume(f): 11:24pm On Aug 07, 2015
MY LOCATION IS AT THE EAST.I WAS THE PERSON THAT SIGN IN AS CHIDILE. IM THE ONE COMPLAINI ABOUT EGG GLUT HERE. MY BIRDS ARE LAYIN 70%AT 25 WKS. SOME ARE PRICIN 450.ITS NOT SO SMALL .HOW DO I INCREASE THE EGG SIZE. THANKS
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tabontabon: 11:25pm On Aug 07, 2015
In Addition To My Earlier Post,if You Are Changing From One Feed Brand To Another Start Giving Them Vitamin 3-5days Before The Switch And Thru The Period You Are Mixing Both Feeds,then 3-5days After.From Experience You Can Mix Old And New Feed In 50-50 Ratio And Switch Completely Within 3-5days. I Know The Books Says Start With Mixing Small Quantity Of New Feed And Increase Over A Period Of 1-2wks.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tabontabon: 11:42pm On Aug 07, 2015
First,be Patient Dont Try To Rush/force The Birds,they Are Just Starting To Lay.The Egg Size Will Increase With Time,Adequate Feeding And Constant Use Of Vitamins To Combat Stress. If You Try To Induce Them,they May Not Lay Longer Before Declining.
For Pricing,it Is A Known Fact That The Buyers Will Always Complain Abt Size Just To Buy Cheaper In Order To Make More Gain. Try To Market Outside Your Vicinity And If You Are Mobile Load Eggs In Your Vehicle And Move Around. It Takes A While Cum persistence And Patience To Get A Loyal Customer Base.
Judithume:
MY LOCATION IS AT THE EAST.I WAS THE PERSON THAT SIGN IN AS CHIDILE. IM THE ONE COMPLAINI ABOUT EGG GLUT HERE. MY BIRDS ARE LAYIN 70%AT 25 WKS. SOME ARE PRICIN 450.ITS NOT SO SMALL .HOW DO I INCREASE THE EGG SIZE. THANKS

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eggcelent(m): 5:49am On Aug 08, 2015
tabontabon. Some insightful pieces of advice you have above. Thanks for sharing.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by abidecz: 2:15pm On Aug 08, 2015
@my ogas in the house pls can someone tell me how many bags of starter will 3weeks going to 4weeks old Layers finish in a week pls sir's
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by adigunbizz: 2:31pm On Aug 08, 2015
Any supplier of Turkey poult around Ogun State and how much do you sell one day old poults?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 3:06pm On Aug 08, 2015
@eggcelent and fellow farmers The birds came in on friday last week. I ve been busy with other stuff that why I did not post anything. We received a total 2046 birds. 3 died on transit while we lost one the next day.so far the birds are ok and are doing fine. We gave them lasota yesterday. Thank God for everything. Abeg make una pray for us, we need Gods grace and cash to finish this.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obstead200(m): 3:51pm On Aug 08, 2015
Judithume:
do u really believe dia is a glut of eggs in d east? Is d east different from d rest of Nigeria? Abi we are now poorer and can no longer afford eggs? What about Ibadan which has so many poultry farmers? Dat means d glut shud be worse over dia.

Me thinks is all about building a loyal customer base patiently and getting standard size eggs. U shud be ok

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Ayostically: 6:57pm On Aug 08, 2015
FarmTech:

If you give extra light at the wrong time, you'll likely get small eggs. Since ur birds are 22 wks, it is not that late since some start laying at 24wks.

pls, do I heed the suggestion to administer keproceryl to the birds, as I'm being advised here?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 12:17am On Aug 09, 2015
Ayostically:

pls, do I heed the suggestion to administer keproceryl to the birds, as I'm being advised here?
Not a bad idea, but it won't make them to start laying. I normally give my birds an antibiotic monthly too.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by AkayTopsy: 5:00am On Aug 09, 2015
@jamp. congrat on the arrival of ur new batch, wish you all the best. May God see us all through.

(1) (2) (3) ... (151) (152) (153) (154) (155) (156) (157) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.