Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,752 members, 7,827,771 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:46 PM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (153) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (966658 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (150) (151) (152) (153) (154) (155) (156) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by laposta: 1:10pm On Aug 03, 2015
Hello Great People....

Is there anyone here whose far is located around Asaba? I need some information about the poultry market in Asaba and environs.

I'll appreciate if the person can buzz me via Whatsapp on 08037276012.

Muchos Gracias!
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by twoMcfemad: 5:39pm On Aug 03, 2015
[quote author=Ayostically post=365322
Thank God I found this thread.
pls, I'm in a similar situation here. I have about 50 layers, 22wks old, only 1 is laying already.
My pen is always clean, well ventilated & spacious 4 the birds. they are well fed also.
the guy guiding me had said they ought to have started laying btwn 18- 20wks and so,he said l should give them egg formula 2 promp them laying bt 2 other friends rearing layers suggested using keproceryl/ neoceryl on them.
I'm kind'f worried here.[/quote]

Have you deworm your birds?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by nakscin(m): 10:29pm On Aug 03, 2015
Deworm dem ....n give dem....lasota vaccine after two days....den wat feed ...do u gve dem...n how rich...is d feed dat rch, it is also important cos it should b btw 16.5-17.5 CP...den one last tn..if dey r black...most times it is normal...
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Agrofortune: 11:16pm On Aug 03, 2015
omotititi:
Eggcelent .....omotititi. Have you ever gotten brown DOC pullets from Zartech Benin? If yes, what has been the experience in terms of liveability & production? I called Zartech Ibadan which is my usual source, but they seem fully booked for the next several weeks so I'm thinking of doing biz with Benin. Thanks. jamp. How far with the birds you were planning to buy? I believe they should be with you by now.

@Eggcelent.....I have never used Zartech's birds. I stock only CHI. However, i hv a friend who has been using their products and she said they are top performers and that the only issue with them is CRD and that if one is able to check it early enough in their brooding stage, it will not pose any challenge in their productive stage. I suggest you buy from them since you currently buy from their sister outlet in Ibadan.

@Omotititi, how much do you buy your brown pullets from Chi and do you have a contact number you could share? Any help would be appreciated
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nacre1: 1:03am On Aug 04, 2015
gudday Nairalanders. so glad to have stumbled on ds thread. Pls I have 2months old cockerels n layers. I just discovered that dey hv swollen head and foamy liquid coming out of dia eyes, pls wat is the cause and possible treatment. Tanx
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by laposta: 10:09am On Aug 04, 2015
Nacre1:
gudday Nairalanders. so glad to have stumbled on ds thread. Pls I have 2months old cockerels n layers. I just discovered that dey hv swollen head and foamy liquid coming out of dia eyes, pls wat is the cause and possible treatment. Tanx

Sounds like Coryza to me. First things first, separate all sick birds from the flock. You can manage it with any antibiotics with Enrofloxacin along with multivitamin. However, it is worth noting that infected birds remain carriers for life.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tunezvic(m): 1:58pm On Aug 04, 2015
Over to my oga in the house, respiratory disease has become persistent in my layers flocks for over two weeks now. Have been picking died birds at least 2 per day for past two weeks.. Treated them with tylodox and aminovet but the disease still persist.. I discovered there is mucus inside the mouth of the died ones.. Note:the birds are not sneezing nor coughing..
Your suggestions will really be appreciated.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Ayostically: 3:52pm On Aug 04, 2015
FarmTech:

Can you check their weight to see if most of them are up to 1.5kg. If yes you can start giving them extra light at night if you can be consistent.
nakscin:
Deworm dem ....n give dem....lasota vaccine after two days....den wat feed ...do u gve dem...n how rich...is d feed dat rch, it is also important cos it should b btw 16.5-17.5 CP...den one last tn..if dey r black...most times it is normal...
FarmTech:

Can you check their weight to see if most of them are up to 1.5kg. If yes you can start giving them extra light at night if you can be consistent.

thanks 4 d response
only a few are 1.5kg & above. they also get extra lite @ nite, till 10pm.

@nakcin, I asked the guy about deworming them bt he said I should wait a while. they're the brown layers & are feeding on animal care feed since I got them @ 4wks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tabontabon: 7:00pm On Aug 04, 2015
Use Anitylan,it's Expensive But Effective
tunezvic:
Over to my oga in the house, respiratory disease has become persistent in my layers flocks for over two weeks now. Have been picking died birds at least 2 per day for past two weeks.. Treated them with tylodox and aminovet but the disease still persist.. I discovered there is mucus inside the mouth of the died ones.. Note:the birds are not sneezing nor coughing..

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 8:51pm On Aug 04, 2015
Ayostically:

thanks 4 d response
only a few are 1.5kg & above. they also get extra lite @ nite, till 10pm.

@nakcin, I asked the guy about deworming them bt he said I should wait a while. they're the brown layers & are feeding on animal care feed since I got them @ 4wks
If you give extra light at the wrong time, you'll likely get small eggs. Since ur birds are 22 wks, it is not that late since some start laying at 24wks.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 8:57pm On Aug 04, 2015
tunezvic:
Hard to tell without a lab test. How can it be respiratory problem without coughing or sneezing symptoms? Meanwhile, this link may help with the mucus aspect, but to be sure what you're treating you need lab test. http://www.farmersjoint.com/Thread-Chicken-Diseases-How-to-Get-Rid-of-Mucus-in-the-Mouth.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tunezvic(m): 10:09pm On Aug 04, 2015
FarmTech:

Hard to tell without a lab test. How can it be respiratory problem without coughing or sneezing symptoms? Meanwhile, this link may help with the mucus aspect, but to be sure what you're treating you need lab test. http://www.farmersjoint.com/Thread-Chicken-Diseases-How-to-Get-Rid-of-Mucus-in-the-Mouth.
thanks a lot... I will get the drugs tomorrow..
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by bihok(m): 11:30pm On Aug 04, 2015
Please house ibhave CRD problem with my farm . Used all some drugs but it still persist. Ur suggestion and recommendations Wil be appreciated
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 1:26am On Aug 05, 2015
twoMcfemad:

Oga fnk, I will like to ask if you registered ur product with NAFDAC. If yes, what are the processes of registration for a small scale producer?

You know what, I have not gotten to that point yet, but my farm is up to standard. I built my slaughter house to standard, with all white tiles inside etc. but I will look into that. With my main business, I deal with Nafdac and ghana FDA all the time with products Registeration. So I will ask a few contact.

By the way guys, does anyone have a Nafdac registration for their farm? If so, please share the process and the cost.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by twoMcfemad: 7:20am On Aug 05, 2015
fnk:

You know what, I have not gotten to that point yet, but my farm is up to standard. I built my slaughter house to standard, with all white tiles inside etc. but I will look into that. With my main business, I deal with Nafdac and ghana FDA all the time with products Registeration. So I will ask a few contact.

By the way guys, does anyone have a Nafdac registration for their farm? If so, please share the process and the cost.

Ok. Shall wait to hear.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Trueigbo: 8:22am On Aug 05, 2015
fellow farmers, my layers of 30weeks eats alot. they are 480 and i give them 2 bags daily. they are in the cage.

what is worrisome is that when i give them 1 bag around 6am before 8am the whole feed is finished. and they will stay like that till evening when i will give them the second bag.

am i underfeeding them? if i increase the feed they will finish it and i feel it will incrase the fat in them since they are in cage.

eggcelent,omoti,jamp,kelvin96 please advice me
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by nakscin(m): 9:12am On Aug 05, 2015
@trueigbo....most ppl "ll say...200birds will consume 25kg per day....bt I use 20kg for 200 birds daily...n dey r laying well....no matter hw bad dey eat it shouldn't b ur problem...urs just gve dem d ryt quantity per day...n 4get abt dem.....as long as dey r laying....u can either use dis formular...for measuring der fee....

200 birds=20kg
480birds= 20 * 480 ÷ 200 = 48
So dey 'll eat 48kg per day....
Or dis..
200birds = 25kg
480 birds = 25 * 480 ÷ 200 = 60
So dey 'll eat 60kg per day...
So u need a scale...all d best...
Cos as for d feedn dey can eat 100kg perday

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by nakscin(m): 9:17am On Aug 05, 2015
@trueigbo....most ppl "ll say...200birds will consume 25kg per day....bt I use 20kg for 200 birds daily...n dey r laying well....no matter hw bad dey eat it shouldn't b ur problem...urs just gve dem d ryt quantity per day...n 4get abt dem.....as long as dey r laying....u can either use dis formular...for measuring der fee.... Cos if u feed dem 100kg \day dey 'll eat it...

200 birds=20kg
480birds= 20 * 480 ÷ 200 = 48
So dey 'll eat 48kg per day....
Or dis..
200birds = 25kg
480 birds = 25 * 480 ÷ 200 = 60
So dey 'll eat 60kg per day...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 9:35am On Aug 05, 2015
Trueigbo:
fellow farmers, my layers of 30weeks eats alot. they are 480 and i give them 2 bags daily. they are in the cage.

what is worrisome is that when i give them 1 bag around 6am before 8am the whole feed is finished. and they will stay like that till evening when i will give them the second bag.

am i underfeeding them? if i increase the feed they will finish it and i feel it will incrase the fat in them since they are in cage.

eggcelent,omoti,jamp,kelvin96 please advice me
Seems like under feeding to me. You can estimate how much to feed from the chart here: http://www.farmersjoint.com/blog/livestock-farming/poultry/feed-consumption-plan-body-weight-target-laying-hens/.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 9:38am On Aug 05, 2015
bihok:
Please house ibhave CRD problem with my farm . Used all some drugs but it still persist. Ur suggestion and recommendations Wil be appreciated
Hw do u know it's crd and what drugs have u used? Another thing is whether u gave the drugs at the correct dossage without trying to economize.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by eluyebamayowa: 11:51am On Aug 05, 2015
Pls can any1 help me wit dis...My 7wks Cockrels ar seriously peckin on one anoda,inflicting injury on demselves to d xtent of removin one's crop(base of dia mouth wia food ar store temporarily) nd they ar nt ovapopulated,i feed them as @wen due..
Apart 4rm debeakin dem,is dia oda solution?am still goin 2 Decmber
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davidzfarm18(m): 12:14pm On Aug 05, 2015
@Trueigbo. ur birds seems to haven a well developed digestive track and at that age will consume 120grammes /day. This translate to about 58kg/day. you can slightly increase the feed with extra 8-10kg.
v

@bihok have you treated for coccidiosis. I discovered lately that coccidiosis left untreated could result to coughing and sneazing. Meanwhile. have you tried Neoceryl..... that drug and embaceryl took care of CRD from my farm.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by otunbadan(m): 1:25am On Aug 06, 2015
fnk:

Hello, Sir @ fnk, I am just reading this thread from the very beginning,m in page 46 and still reading and I actually did a slide,excel and business plan from my experiences in the business. I started raising and selling broilers last year and I have gained quiet an experience on it. I would like to know if I could buy this v-mix formulation from you?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 2:43am On Aug 06, 2015
otunbadan:

Hello, Sir @ fnk, I am just reading this thread from the very beginning,m in page 46 and still reading and I actually did a slide,excel and business plan from my experiences in the business. I started raising and selling broilers last year and I have gained quiet an experience on it. I would like to know if I could buy this v-mix formulation from you?
I am sorry, it is not available for sale. So, how is sales been? I hope you are doing well.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by danyegbule: 5:53am On Aug 06, 2015
Great farmers... Pls my 700 birds of 12 weeks ISA brown (layers) still consume 2 bags a day don't really know if its normal. Note the birds are doing well and we only lost 3 since we started brooding till date.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Fumbaby: 6:47am On Aug 06, 2015
Good morning house, is there anyone who has day old broiler in ilorin?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by rilwan09: 7:11am On Aug 06, 2015
can anybody in the house pls calculate how much it takes to raise a broiler from day old to 8weeks ..
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eggcelent(m): 11:02am On Aug 06, 2015
danyegbule. Your birds should be consuming about 45kg of feeds daily at their age. Therefore, you need not worry about possible under-feeding. Trueigbo. As noted by others; your birds are consuming just about enough feeds daily. It's really immaterial if the feeding trough is empty of food. The important thing is that they have the full complement of feeds for a day; and that is just a little over 2 bags. Success. jamp. How far with your new birds? Delay in laying my hands on needed funds has stopped me (temporarily) from stocking.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by omotititi: 5:25pm On Aug 06, 2015
@Afrofortune.......I paid for my CHI day old since May and it was N190 per bird then I dnt know what the price is now.You can call this number CHI contact for help 08035110283. Welldone bro.Dnt give up.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tunezvic(m): 6:23pm On Aug 06, 2015
Due to excessive use of drugs for treatment of respiratory disease, my 24 weeks layers 15% production has dropped to 8% which am really worried about . please what can i do to increase the production rapidly coz they really eating deep into my pocket . feeding 3000 plus layers is not easy... Will appreciate your suggestions.
Cc: eggcelent, FarmTech, fnks, omotititi and my other oga in house... I need your help.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Ayostically: 7:51pm On Aug 06, 2015
FarmTech:

If you give extra light at the wrong time, you'll likely get small eggs. Since ur birds are 22 wks, it is not that late since some start laying at 24wks.

ok. the egg size of the 1 laying has appreciated from being small, though not very large.
as per the light, daylight naturally lasts till 7pm when I turn on the bulb in the cage till abou 10pm. hope thats ok?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by chidile: 8:32pm On Aug 06, 2015
fellow poultry farmers, hope your birds are all doing well. my ogas at the top,my good news is that my birds of 25weeks are giving me almost 70% out put in their production. the egg glut here is killing me.they are pricing the egg for 500,pls what can I do to increase the sizes of their egg.thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (150) (151) (152) (153) (154) (155) (156) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.