Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,743 members, 7,817,051 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:13 AM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (194) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (964979 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (191) (192) (193) (194) (195) (196) (197) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 11:58pm On Feb 26, 2016
pcoolioz:

Thanks checked it.

I got some broilers from zartech recently and the death rate was something else. I followed the same process I did with the ones I got from chivita, but I still lost alot, they weren't eating much, wasting the food, and now at a month old they have almost no weight and are still dying. most of them that died were having difficulty walking. I am thinking Newcastle? although I gave all the vaccines as at when due. I have already written it off as a bad investment but does anyone have any ideas? I still have some left. anything to save these ones at least.
Hard to pinpoint what caused it. I know zartech as a good hatchery. Maybe u made a mistake somewhere. Can u post picture of ur cage and the remaining bird?
Diseases like gumboro can destroy bird' immune system - just like hiv. This can happen without sign of sickness. So I wonder if the culprit is gumboro.
Also post the vaccinatn plan u used.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 12:00am On Feb 27, 2016
crownzade:
Good evening friends, please help me out here...
My layers just started laying few weeks ago, though not optimally, meanwhile all of a sudden they stopped dropping eggs.
These girls are just eating. What can I do?
Please!!!
Did u in anyway mix something in their feed to save cost? Or did u restrict their feed?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Kreamie(m): 12:43pm On Feb 28, 2016
Hello house!

My mum is trying her hands on 90 birds and I', helping her out..She seems to be having problems with them tho..

1) They're about 7 weeks now and some of them (5) haven't really developed as much as others..They don't eat much, they look skinny and don't weigh as much as others do..I feed them all with TOP FEEDS SUPER STARTER.

2) Some of them seem to be sneezing, though I've administered coftacin and one reddish drug that looks like zobo (Can't recall the name) but the sneezing persists...Some of them would isolate themselves and sleep a lot throughout the morning and then get bubbly in the afternoons. I've been watching them for a while now and these are the things I've noticed.

And may I add that they were bought at 4weeks old at CHI hatchery. (A mistake I recently discovered as I was told some farmers don't give the birds enough vaccine)..Could it be that their vaccine wasn't enough is why they're being all sickly? Also, so far so good, we've lost two birds out of 90...

You advice would be greatly appreciated!
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by smankerana: 3:26pm On Feb 28, 2016
pls how do l treat fowl pox? Seems there is vaccine failure here. pls help.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by eggxel: 9:51pm On Feb 28, 2016
Kai.....the heat in Abuja is too much o.......now I wish there's access to electricity in the village my farm is in to air-condition my birds.........they are complaining o! cry
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by eggxel: 9:53pm On Feb 28, 2016
Lost 5 of them today. Would have to be tossing ice block into their water everyday
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by eggxel: 9:54pm On Feb 28, 2016
Jamp and AkayTopsy, how una dey cope?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by crownzade(m): 4:23pm On Feb 29, 2016
@ Farm tech: thanks for your response, i changed their feeds along the line. What should i do get them producing eggs again?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 8:35pm On Feb 29, 2016
crownzade:
@ Farm tech: thanks for your response, i changed their feeds along the line. What should i do get them producing eggs again?
From which feed to which feed?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Alaanyihaji(m): 8:55pm On Feb 29, 2016
You are very correct on the constraint of marketing broiler. But just note the direction of wind, and ventilation issues in that your area. Moreover, do good entrance and disinfectant spot for bio security. We will be on standby to support you. Layers give daily income and profit depends on your management of mortality.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Tmex(m): 1:53am On Mar 01, 2016
mbuotidemjames:

Thank you so much for you help. The sneezing has reduced as well as d coughin noise....I started opening the door and curtains and removed the heat as u said. They are on vitalye now n feeds are Hybrid super starter. The source of the bird is AMO. I will still be updating you if the symptoms comes higher again. But now....their poop is brownish n pasty....advise please!! Im new to this business
from your explanations, ur bedding is dursty, its either u used saw durst or your wood shavings contains too much of saw durst, when next u re brooding guard against these
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 4:34am On Mar 01, 2016
eggxel:
Jamp and AkayTopsy, how una dey cope?
the heat is too much. Where is ur farm in abj
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davidzfarm18(m): 11:00am On Mar 01, 2016
This shall be a profitable month to all the great farmers here.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by crownzade(m): 4:37pm On Mar 01, 2016
@FarmTech
From which feed to which feed?[/quote]

I changed from top feed to compounding feeds interchangeably. Please help me out.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by eggxel: 5:56pm On Mar 01, 2016
jamp:

the heat is too much. Where is ur farm in abj
It's off orozo, in a village called gidan-mudu. Where's yours sir?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by pcoolioz(m): 7:49pm On Mar 01, 2016
smankerana:
pls how do l treat fowl pox? Seems there is vaccine failure here. pls help.

There is a drug I used once when mine had fowl pox... just go to a vet store and ask for drugs for fowl pox, I can't remember the name... poxsomething sha... it would clear after sometime, just be fast before it gets worse
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by pcoolioz(m): 7:56pm On Mar 01, 2016
FarmTech:

Hard to pinpoint what caused it. I know zartech as a good hatchery. Maybe u made a mistake somewhere. Can u post picture of ur cage and the remaining bird?
Diseases like gumboro can destroy bird' immune system - just like hiv. This can happen without sign of sickness. So I wonder if the culprit is gumboro.
Also post the vaccinatn plan u used.

well it could be gumboro... who knows, but I heard of the vaccine for gumboro fails it wipes out the entire birds. they started dying right from the first week. I got a carton, I have 15left. I had to bring them out of the pen and let them free range. I was out of options and in doing that those 15 survived.

the plan
day one-antistress
2-5 - antibiotics
6-7 vitamins
8 - first lasota
9 - 10 -vitamins
11-first gumboro then bla bla till day 21 second gumboro
that's basically it
I skipped fowl pox vaccine when I thought they were all gonna die.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tunezvic(m): 8:40pm On Mar 01, 2016
Please the heat is really affecting my birds, there production has drop from 70 crates to 48 crates and it keeps decreasing day by day.. I need help on what I can do to reduce the heat stress.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 8:57pm On Mar 01, 2016
crownzade:
@FarmTech
From which feed to which feed?

I changed from top feed to compounding feeds interchangeably. Please help me out.
Then change back to top feed. There is sth wrong with ur formula.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 10:05pm On Mar 01, 2016
pcoolioz:

well it could be gumboro... who knows, but I heard of the vaccine for gumboro fails it wipes out the entire birds. they started dying right from the first week. I got a carton, I have 15left. I had to bring them out of the pen and let them free range. I was out of options and in doing that those 15 survived.

the plan
day one-antistress
2-5 - antibiotics
6-7 vitamins
8 - first lasota
9 - 10 -vitamins
11-first gumboro then bla bla till day 21 second gumboro
that's basically it
I skipped fowl pox vaccine when I thought they were all gonna die.
Birds can't just die like that without a reason. I'll advise u to seriously review ur management practices. There are sth u may take for granted but it really matters. Get another batch of about 12 and try again. It is always better to start small and learn from ur mistake.
If u can still post the cage's pic gud. Which feed did u gave them?
Also, sometimes u may need to give gumboro as early as day 6. http://www.farmersjoint.com/Thread-Gumboro-Vaccination?pid=1088#pid1088

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 10:45pm On Mar 01, 2016
tunezvic:
Please the heat is really affecting my birds, there production has drop from 70 crates to 48 crates and it keeps decreasing day by day.. I need help on what I can do to reduce the heat stress.
Add ice block to water, esp in the afternoon when the water will be warm. Birds don't like warm water. Give antistress drugs and give lasota every 3wks.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 5:58am On Mar 02, 2016
eggxel:

It's off orozo, in a village called gidan-mudu. Where's yours sir?
apo
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 6:49am On Mar 02, 2016
FarmTech:

Add ice block to water, esp in the afternoon when the water will be warm. Birds don't like warm water. Give antistress drugs and give lasota every 3wks.
In addition to all these, you can also add 98% feed-grade vitamin C ( 250g to 500g/ton of feed) to their feed provided you compound feed by yourself.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by eggxel: 10:31am On Mar 02, 2016
jamp:
apo
OK. My wife and i would like to come to your farm if it's okay by you oga when I come to town.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 12:27am On Mar 03, 2016
seunrule:
In addition to all these, you can also add 98% feed-grade vitamin C ( 250g to 500g/ton of feed) to their feed provided you compound feed by yourself.
Do you know how much vit c cost?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by newboy06: 10:34am On Mar 03, 2016
I have big male turkeys avaliable 4 sale in ibadan at a very good price......let me knw if u are interested. Thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by mbuotidemjames: 10:35am On Mar 03, 2016
I noticed that the protein content in Hybrid feeds are more than that of Amobyn and Top feeds.......but why is top feed still costlier than hybrid when it is the protein that the chicks need to grow?
Can anyone here advise me to use Hybrid
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 2:05pm On Mar 03, 2016
eggxel:

OK. My wife and i would like to come to your farm if it's okay by you oga when I come to town.

ok sir
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by mbuotidemjames: 3:12am On Mar 04, 2016
mbuotidemjames:
I noticed that the protein content in Hybrid feeds are more than that of Amobyn and Top feeds.......but why is top feed still costlier than hybrid when it is the protein that the chicks need to grow?
Can anyone here advise me to use Hybrid

Someone should please answer this for me na.
FARMTECH??
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by freemannn(m): 9:53am On Mar 04, 2016
Pls my experienced farmers and vet doctors i am a fancy pigeon breeder based in jos and lately wen my pigeons lay 2 eggs dey hatch jst 1 while d second chick dies in d shell which is frustratin me, pls is dere any drug dat could be recommended 4 me 2 use, will appreciate any help.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eggcelent(m): 6:53am On Mar 05, 2016
mbuotidemjames. The reality of nutritional values of feeds is almost always different from what the manufactures claim especially in a country lacking control as ours. Besides, manufactures get their raw materials from different sources & at different prices, hence differences in cost of production/price. Also relevant is the knowledge that there are different formulas for producing similar feeds. My advise will be that you go for the feed which gives you the best result. Success. tunezvic. If you're sure you birds are otherwise in good health & the ventilation, as well as quality/quantity of feed is ok, I'll suggest you give stresoak + multivitamin with vitamin K to counter the heat stress. Success
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by oluwalogo(m): 7:16am On Mar 05, 2016
Do you know poultry business can make up to 200% profit?
Do you know Poultry business can be so easy?

All you need is right information

See how i make more money than my boss through small poultry business.
view http://greenpazture.com

(1) (2) (3) ... (191) (192) (193) (194) (195) (196) (197) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.