Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,432 members, 7,815,979 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:42 PM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (964564 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by steel5800(m): 10:01am On Dec 09, 2012
@obnelly, I know a lil about d technology cos I visited a fish pond that has a hatchery in it an I saw d technology at work. I once had a fish pond too and I plan on going back to it hopefully mid next year(depending on availability of funds).

@jites, u really do know kano. I have a lot of friends in no mans land. I'm happy to say that my birds are gradually picking up in their production. The pace might be slow but I know they'll surely get there by the grace of God.

@miqos02, patience man, you'll get there.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 3:52pm On Dec 09, 2012
Its a small world,i did my NYSC at kano taroni local govt to be precise.
Steel is fish farming that lucrative? +
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 4:05pm On Dec 09, 2012
Steel,if your production per day is 40eggs?my question is do you put heat stress into consideration while designing your pen? What is the orientation you choose in your design.if your chicken weight is less than 2kgs you will not get goos results.hope you will work on the afore listed points.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by steel5800(m): 4:21pm On Dec 09, 2012
obnelly: Steel,if your production per day is 40eggs?my question is do you put heat stress into consideration while designing your pen? What is the orientation you choose in your design.if your chicken weight is less than 2kgs you will not get goos results.hope you will work on the afore listed points.

Their production yesterday was 70eggs and as at 12pm when I left there today, they had layed the same 70eggs. Heat really isn't a problem this time of the year but the orientation of pen is as it should be; the front is in the direction that the sun rises from(east) while the sun sets behind the pen. This is so so as to minimise sun rays entering the pen thereby reducing heat. Remember I have some years experience in poultry just that I left for a long while. Fish pond is quite lucrative. A former school mate is into fish farming in zaria and he makes a profit of roughly 360k for every 1000 fingerlings he stocks. He has 3pond and stocks them at an interval of 2months so he makes that 360k every 2months. Its quite capital intensive though. I didn't make much profit wen I did mine cos of lack of knowledege and untrustworthy people but I think am ready to back to it once I have enough cash.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Buddhar(m): 3:00pm On Dec 11, 2012
laposta: Hi fnk,

I'll like to meet you. I'm looking to restart my poultry. I was into layers but want to try broilers. My email is femmiedot@yahoo.com

Pls, send me an email. Let's discuss how we'll meet
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by wasco24: 3:10pm On Dec 11, 2012
hello gud ppl in dis forum, i want to start poultry farm, am around abuja, pls i nid anybody who is in to poultry put me 2ru, i have 150k to invest into it, mi number is 08063883035
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Theyjih: 4:32am On Dec 12, 2012
obnelly: Jites a proper waste management can prevent the odour but how y dispose the litter is another constraint.if its not properly dispose it will have effect on the soil,water and air around the location you are dropping your litters.if you can manage to incorporate a bioreactor into your farm.the machine will not reduce the odour but will also give you clean energy to reduce your carbon emission on your farm I mean the green house gas.the reactor will convery the farm waste into usefil products such as biofuel , organic fertilizer NPK and bedding for your livestock.at the end you have cleam and odour free environment.remember you can use the fuel to power your genetator to produce electricity,the heat for cooking as gad and broodinh young chicks.you need a professional to do feasobilitu studies based on what you have on your farm or I send you a questionair by doing that I can assess what you have and give you the advise.hope it helps.shalom
Can u send d questionaire and brochure/prospective lets see where we move from there tryna run a lil f.study ASaP
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 10:31am On Dec 12, 2012
Theyjih,with the answers you provid to us via the questionnaire we can give you a report on what you can do with your farm waste if its going to be for heating,air conditioning or power generation on site.if you are interested you may send us a mail
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Theyjih: 11:01am On Dec 12, 2012
obnelly: Theyjih,with the answers you provid to us via the questionnaire we can give you a report on what you can do with your farm waste if its going to be for heating,air conditioning or power generation on site.if you are interested you may send us a mail
u didnt give any what email address am i to contact?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 11:33pm On Dec 13, 2012
the3muskettiers@gmail.com
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by basking4me: 11:27am On Dec 17, 2012
Hello Everyon its been a while, i have been awashed with other things reason I havent been around for a while. @Jites, really sorry I havent been as active as before. Now to your questions.

1. We stocked the birds (Day olds) mid last year (July & early August) and so they about 1year and 5months. At a time we were achieving 80-90% production but currently we are only getting 68%. This is a drastic cut given the cost of feeds now. Though we still break even on sales but the margin is very little now, reason, they have to go now and December is the best time to ship them out.
2. Indeed the business is very profitable. Making 2M in a cycle is relative, if you formulate your feed yourself or buy bulk feeds, you save more. Even if you dont make as much, you will definitely get close.
3. Our main challenge has been feeding them, it gulped quite a sum and mortality. I am really working on starting a feedmill now.
4. Reason I am looking to point of Lay now is the timing..if we wanted to do day olds, we ought to have bought them long ago so that the cycle continues but with the present situation, once these ones go..we have to get soon to start laying birds.
5. selling them is not difficult, I only posted here because this thread is the poultry Enthusiast's Thread and We might just get lucky to find someone who will buy them all at once on the thread.

If you have chickens (old layers & Cockrel) for Sale, Pl let me know because I doubt if We can actually meet market demand this December.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by basking4me: 11:49am On Dec 17, 2012
Hello Seun70, Where is your Land located in Ota. We have some space there too and looking to moving there early next year. its more spacious than where we are currently.

Leopower, 300k can buy you say about 200 point of lay (Lets say @ 1200 per bird), since you are jsut starting I wouldnt advice you buy day olds yet. Just ensure you buy the birds from a reputable farm. Whatever remains from the money, you can use to feed and do medication added with your 20k monthly investment. You will smile to the banks I can assure you!. All th best.

@Digi, Bros au far with the 1000 layers, kindly update me??
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jites(m): 2:33pm On Dec 17, 2012
basking4me: Hello Everyon its been a while, i have been awashed with other things reason I havent been around for a while. @Jites, really sorry I havent been as active as before. Now to your questions.

1. We stocked the birds (Day olds) mid last year (July & early August) and so they about 1year and 5months. At a time we were achieving 80-90% production but currently we are only getting 68%. This is a drastic cut given the cost of feeds now. Though we still break even on sales but the margin is very little now, reason, they have to go now and December is the best time to ship them out.
2. Indeed the business is very profitable. Making 2M in a cycle is relative, if you formulate your feed yourself or buy bulk feeds, you save more. Even if you dont make as much, you will definitely get close.
3. Our main challenge has been feeding them, it gulped quite a sum and mortality. I am really working on starting a feedmill now.
4. Reason I am looking to point of Lay now is the timing..if we wanted to do day olds, we ought to have bought them long ago so that the cycle continues but with the present situation, once these ones go..we have to get soon to start laying birds.
5. selling them is not difficult, I only posted here because this thread is the poultry Enthusiast's Thread and We might just get lucky to find someone who will buy them all at once on the thread.

If you have chickens (old layers & Cockrel) for Sale, Pl let me know because I doubt if We can actually meet market demand this December.

@ Basking4me Wow, what a relief to see you again contributing positively to this very educative thread. You have answered all of my questions very straight to the point, Thanks a lot
At least now you have emassed some very invaluable experience from the first lots of birds and you are right with the feeding stuff, i honestly think if you are stocking anything from 1000 birds it will benefit you to mill your own feed. This is something i would have to look into too and i will be following you closely if you dont mind with regards to the feeding mill stuff.
I just acquired a land am looking to start mine from June next year by the grace of God. Once again thanks for replying and do let us know how the point of lay went. Compliment of the season and GOD BLESS NIGERIA

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by latestsunny(m): 4:20pm On Dec 17, 2012
I really salute ur courage. For sum of us dat we lik to venture into poultry farming, cn u pls gv us d detail cost of d building plus manpower?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by latestsunny(m): 11:53am On Dec 18, 2012
@fnk,can u pls snd me dose docs sanusisundaya@yahoo.com
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by latestsunny(m): 12:22pm On Dec 18, 2012
fnk: @Tayeni, I just sent it again, hope you can open it this time.
Pls I also nid d info sanusisundaya@yahoo.com
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 1:33pm On Dec 18, 2012
I dont think anybody can give you the cost of building a pen it all depends on the size of your pen.
I have old layers that are one year and ten month old and their production is 62%.if yours is a year plus and you want to sell because of christmas i will say that isnt good enough.you sell layers because they have exhausted their laying period which is 18_20 months.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by latestsunny(m): 1:49pm On Dec 18, 2012
obnelly: I dont think anybody can give you the cost of building a pen it all depends on the size of your pen.
I have old layers that are one year and ten month old and their production is 62%.if yours is a year plus and you want to sell because of christmas i will say that isnt good enough.you sell layers because they have exhausted their laying period which is 18_20 months.

Like aw much cn house 1000layers
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by basking4me: 4:09pm On Dec 18, 2012
Obnelly, thank you for your response but understand my angle to selling them. They were doing 90% at a time, cost of feed was 2300 then.

Now they are doing 68% and cost of feed is N2430.

Economic sense says I sell them now or else soon what I will be getting will only feed them with nothing to post as profit.

@latestsunny, with about 500k, your 1000layer pens should be ready if they will be housed in cages but if you plan to have them on litters, the amount will double.

Works include, block works and capentry mainly. The materials for construction is what take the bulk of the sum.

All the best.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jites(m): 6:42pm On Dec 18, 2012
basking4me: Obnelly, thank you for your response but understand my angle to selling them. They were doing 90% at a time, cost of feed was 2300 then.

Now they are doing 68% and cost of feed is N2430.

Economic sense says I sell them now or else soon what I will be getting will only feed them with nothing to post as profit.

@latestsunny, with about 500k, your 1000layer pens should be ready if they will be housed in cages but if you plan to have them on litters, the amount will double.

Works include, block works and capentry mainly. The materials for construction is what take the bulk of the sum.

All the best.

@Basking4me i have got a few question to ask you and the house

1. Just so i get this right when we say 90% production does that mean if you have say for example 1000 birds; approximately 900 of them are laying eggs daily?
2. You stated that 500K should do for the pen if they are being housed in cages and double the amount if they are on litters. Does this mean it cheaper to build a pen that will consist of cages for the 1000 birds than having them on litters
3. From your own experience, would you say you get more productivity from the birds if they are housed in cages compare to being housed on litters
4. Again from your experience, what you say is the estimate variable cost for catering for 1000 birds until they start egg production.

5. Lastly, would you happened to know the cost of acquiring cages for 1000 birds capacity or do you know any reliable supplier that one can contact.

Once again thanks for your input on this thread and i think its back again to the way it used to be ie talking about the substance and essence of the business.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by basking4me: 8:17pm On Dec 18, 2012
Jites, thanks for your compliments and belief in the thread. I really am sorry for abandoning the thread for so long. Am realli back now as I have proposals to throw to the house that will be of benefits to us all.

Now to you queries;
1.Yes you can get 90% ie 900 birds laying eggs at a stage during their laying cycle if they are well taken care of ie, feed and hygiene. You should achieve this for a few months before it starts dwindling.

2. What I mentioned in my previous post is PEN housing. Even if you will still house them in cages, you still need a roof for them to stay in the cages, cost of cages is not included. So my analysis is based on housing for 1000birds that will be in cages inside a pen. This is so because the cages will ensure space management but if they are to be on the floor at maturity, then they will take double space of the pen.

3. Cage system is by far better to manage layers than litter but funds are usually the challenge. Cages ensure very clean eggs and more production. Layers smatch and eat up their eggs if you dont pick them up from the litter system early but with cages, you can pick up your eggs anytime. Then the main issue is in the picking of the eggs, man one can have back problem picking 900 eggs everyday. Am talking from experience.

Again, layers die more on the floor than in cages. On the floor they eat anythin and achieve diseases easily. Hope I tried on this.

4. Variable cost?, okay-- from day old to start of laying for 1000birds goes like this.You cant spend more than 50k for drugs but the feeds is what I can't determine because this value is variant, however if u put a value of 900-1200 on point of lay and the initial cost of 200 for day olds, then u have cost of feeding them and medication at abt 700-1000. It will be less if you now do it yourself from day old ( but I advice experience before you start with doc or you get a consultant).

5.Indeed I know the cost of both acquiring and installing cages. For a cage of 90birds I can get you a cage for 45k. So for 1000 birds, you should look towards 500k.

Jites, I really appreciate you for giving me the reason to come back to our POULTRY BLOG, everyone on this thread mean everything to me, you all have kept me going especially with you comments, advice and observations.

Your interest not only signify interest in becoming self reliant but also in ensuring Nigerians have food on their tables.

We are a part of food sustenance for nigeria even without government support we still strive.

I hail all on the poultry blog.

3 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Obisbigshoes: 8:49pm On Dec 18, 2012
Here is my brief advise because I was burnt on poultry business. I spent about N2m on poultry and could not show anything for it because I trusted someone to run it for me. 1) whatever you do, don't let someone run it for you. 2) 1000 birds maybe to much to start with. I started with 2000 birds, almost a lot died during the first few weeks, as I was told. 3) Be sure to buy the right feed from the the right source. The source of feed could cause issues affecting the life of your birds. 4) Do not attempt to make your own feed unless you tried it on the sample birds first.

I wish you luck
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by faluchi: 9:05pm On Dec 18, 2012
JUST HOPE IS NOT GOOD BYE AGAIN...LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS FORUM

basking4me: Jites, thanks for your compliments and belief in the thread. I really am sorry for abandoning the thread for so long. Am realli back now as I have proposals to throw to the house that will be of benefits to us all.

Now to you queries;
1.Yes you can get 90% ie 900 birds laying eggs at a stage during their laying cycle if they are well taken care of ie, feed and hygiene. You should achieve this for a few months before it starts dwindling.

2. What I mentioned in my previous post is PEN housing. Even if you will still house them in cages, you still need a roof for them to stay in the cages, cost of cages is not included. So my analysis is based on housing for 1000birds that will be in cages inside a pen. This is so because the cages will ensure space management but if they are to be on the floor at maturity, then they will take double space of the pen.

3. Cage system is by far better to manage layers than litter but funds are usually the challenge. Cages ensure very clean eggs and more production. Layers smatch and eat up their eggs if you dont pick them up from the litter system early but with cages, you can pick up your eggs anytime. Then the main issue is in the picking of the eggs, man one can have back problem picking 900 eggs everyday. Am talking from experience.

Again, layers die more on the floor than in cages. On the floor they eat anythin and achieve diseases easily. Hope I tried on this.

4. Variable cost?, okay-- from day old to start of laying for 1000birds goes like this.You cant spend more than 50k for drugs but the feeds is what I can't determine because this value is variant, however if u put a value of 900-1200 on point of lay and the initial cost of 200 for day olds, then u have cost of feeding them and medication at abt 700-1000. It will be less if you now do it yourself from day old ( but I advice experience before you start with doc or you get a consultant).

5.Indeed I know the cost of both acquiring and installing cages. For a cage of 90birds I can get you a cage for 45k. So for 1000 birds, you should look towards 500k.

Jites, I really appreciate you for giving me the reason to come back to our POULTRY BLOG, everyone on this thread mean everything to me, you all have kept me going especially with you comments, advice and observations.

Your interest not only signify interest in becoming self reliant but also in ensuring Nigerians have food on their tables.

We are a part of food sustenance for nigeria even without government support we still strive.

I hail all on the poultry blog.

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Password77(m): 10:17am On Dec 19, 2012
Welcome back basking4 me and thumbs up to all who have kept this blog going.
I'm a fresh graduate and intends starting my poultry farm by next year(during my NYSC period).
I'll will be grateful if i can get feasibilty reports and any documents on poultry farming so i can read up and add to the little experience i've already.

pls... Fnk, basking4me and others send via my email... entityjoefrankdeelite@yahoo,com

thanks as i anticipate your replys/emails
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jites(m): 10:44am On Dec 19, 2012
Password77: Welcome back basking4 me and thumbs up to all who have kept this blog going.
I'm a fresh graduate and intends starting my poultry farm by next year(during my NYSC period).
I'll will be grateful if i can get feasibilty reports and any documents on poultry farming so i can read up and add to the little experience i've already.

pls... Fnk, basking4me and others send via my email... entityjoefrankdeelite@yahoo,com

@ Password77, welcome to this thread and i can assure you are on the right path, if you are commited by the end of NYSC when other graduates are looking for jobs you will be looking for people to employ, depending ofcourse on thre size of your farm. I do have some reports i bought for quite a lot of money i must say but in a business like this you should be willing to acquire enough practical and theoritical knowledge before start up. As you are an NYSC corper contributing to the economy by serving the nation i will forward you the reports Free of charge. but always keep the housre updated with your progress okay.
@ bASKING4ME Thanks a lot for replying to me questions, the initial outlay for the cages is really high 500k i think i iwll have to start gradually, no haste and i am looking forward to your proposal for the HOUSE.
This is for the house, if anyone has been able to set up their own Feedmill and the feeds are of high quality and has been tested i think it would be good for others to patronise you by buying feeds from you thats if your price is relatively cheaper and there is assurance for continuity because once you start with a certain feed you have to continue with it.
Thanks everyone and keep contributing to the thread. compliment of the season to everyone and GOD BLESS NIGERIA
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jites(m): 10:55am On Dec 19, 2012
Password77: Welcome back basking4 me and thumbs up to all who have kept this blog going.

@ password77, you have mail -i have sent you all the report you need to start up.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by latestsunny(m): 12:03am On Dec 20, 2012
@basking,I really appreciate ur response, kip it up man!!
@jites,pls cn u pls snd me a. Copy of dat report.cos I wnt to set up my poultry nxt. Year jan.sanusisundaya@yahoo.com
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Jovita85: 8:45am On Dec 20, 2012
@ Jites....I am interested in starting a poultry farm too, but I just want to be well prepared for it, I dont just want to jump in and jump out. Pls this is my e-mail (sylvacent007@yahoo.co.uk) kindly send me the report, I know it will be of great help. Thanks.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by sp2002(m): 10:39pm On Dec 20, 2012
for poultry establishment/ consultation, you can contact us via:
SP2002 POULTRY & LAND CONSULTANCY
TJ.SP2002@GMAIL.COM
WWW.SP2002.GNBO.COM.NG

we are farmers operating in lagos and also extend our service to any part of the nation. you can also get more info on the necesary things needed to venture into poultry.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by latestsunny(m): 7:36am On Dec 21, 2012
sp2002: for poultry establishment/ consultation, you can contact us via:
SP2002 POULTRY & LAND CONSULTANCY
TJ.SP2002@GMAIL.COM
WWW.SP2002.GNBO.COM.NG

we are farmers operating in lagos and also extend our service to any part of the nation. you can also get more info on the necesary things needed to venture into poultry.

@sp 2002,ds is a forum whr pple share their various experiences.we wouldnt mind mind if u cn do d same esp aw to start,maintenance n vaccination.ds cn even make pple to consult u cos dey ll observe aw competent u r.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by adebaxton(m): 9:20am On Dec 21, 2012
I also need a copy of the report for someone like me is also a fresher..
God bless
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by adebaxton(m): 9:23am On Dec 21, 2012
God bless you and also everbody on this forum for the contributions.

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.