Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,070 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:19 AM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (964590 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by modex(m): 9:27pm On Nov 20, 2012
Hello Fnk,
Great piece of work, I bn fallowing ur post, really appreaciate ur efforts. I will really appreaciate it if you can send me those documents too and the fomula for that medication. Email: mni.yks@hotmail.com. Thank u
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jites(m): 4:49pm On Nov 21, 2012
@ FNK, Could you please also send me the document, my email is jites_uk@yahoo.co.uk Thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 5:57pm On Nov 21, 2012
modex: Hello Fnk,
Great piece of work, I bn fallowing ur post, really appreaciate ur efforts. I will really appreaciate it if you can send me those documents too and the fomula for that medication. Email: mni.yks@hotmail.com. Thank u

Done, Good luck, i will work on starting my own poultry next year.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by leopower(m): 3:41pm On Nov 23, 2012
great work here, i salute the courage of u guys. basking4me, FNK & the lady that opens the trend Hindsight, Ade101 u are also a plus here, pls keep it up all.
the reason dat made me stumble into this is that i want to invest in poultry by lets say january. hw far do u guys think 300k will for the starting & let say i am ready to into 20k monthly b4 i that reaping profit. i 100% interested in layers for now.
@ all, if u think there is anything that can be useful to me,pls send to ekojamiu@gmail.com
@FNK, dose documents of urs will higly appreciated as well. smiley wink smiley grin very i am here, read all post frm page 1 to 23.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by modex(m): 5:07pm On Nov 23, 2012
Hello,
I still didn't receive anything in my box. Can anyone please send it to me. Email: mni.yks@hotmail.com
Thank you.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 7:20pm On Nov 23, 2012
modex: Hello,
I still didn't receive anything in my box. Can anyone please send it to me. Email: mni.yks@hotmail.com
Thank you.

Done, check your email again. Good luck.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Egomah(m): 12:02am On Nov 24, 2012
@FNK I would also like τ̲̅ø̲̣ have †̥̥h̶̲̥̅̊ξ email sent τ̲̅ø̲̣ m̶̲̥̅ƹ sir, ɪ̣̝̇τ̩̩̥'D̶̲̥̅̊ be helpful as I also intend τ̲̅ø̲̣ go into poultry farming hopefully next year . My email Ȋ̊§ egomah@gmail.com
Thanks Sir. Also thanks τ̲̅ø̲̣ †̥̥h̶̲̥̅̊ξ op of this beautiful best seller Hindsight and basking too, my thumbs ɑяε̲ up for Ɣ☺ΰ guys and also for everyone who has contributed τ̲̅ø̲̣ †̥̥h̶̲̥̅̊ξ series. God bless Ɣ☺ΰ all
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by basking4me: 9:52am On Nov 26, 2012
We have about 1000 number of old layers for sale at reasonable price. If you are a bulk buyer kindly reach me via phone. 07042507891.

We are stocking new point of lays, reason we are selling the old layers now.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by estheroye: 4:45pm On Dec 03, 2012
@fyn, pls kindly send me necessary document on poultry business. thanks. my e-mail is oyemerin@gmail.com
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by adebaxton(m): 10:57am On Dec 04, 2012
@ fnk..... I also need all contributory messages and docx ...
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jites(m): 1:02pm On Dec 04, 2012
basking4me: We have about 1000 number of old layers for sale at reasonable price. If you are a bulk buyer kindly reach me via phone. 07042507891.

We are stocking new point of lays, reason we are selling the old layers now.

@Basking4me what is happening to this thread, it was very interesting from the begining when we were seeing pictures of day old chicks, building of the chicken house etc etc, now its all about fkn can you please send me the document, to be honest i also requested the document out of curiosity to see what it was all about but like fkn said himself its nothing but a mixture he came out with that he thinks is good for people in the poultry business.
Basking is currently asking for buyers for 1000 layers, my questions to Basking are
1 have these 1000 layers completed their cycle
2 has it been profitable, because i have a report that i bought that says with 1000 layers over the cycle period you can make about 2million naira. what do you say to this claim
3 what are the challenges you have encounter

4 why are you about to start again but this time with point of lay, does that mean having day old is too much wahala or what?
is marketing of the old layer a challenge because clearly it seems to be if you are asking for buyers for 1000 layers
Please Basking, make this thread interesting again cos i am about to start with 1000 layers next year and i need to know from people who have practical experience like yourself if its worth instead of relying on some report giving me some imaginary profit forcast.
Thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 3:19pm On Dec 04, 2012
@jites, I don't think the road to success is clear cut. no matter how much info you get here, you will still need a leap of faith to get started. Even me with my research and all that, I am still expect some unforeseen events happening that scare me off my pants if I am not ready to handle it. I think why Nigeria is still a land of opportunity is simply because of unpredictability of the place, anything can happen any time. So that said, as some point, you will need to grab the bull by the horn and just ride it, and if you come out alive; what a trill the ride will be.

I am planning to start my own little poultry venture next year as well, i can't wait to begin an have the ability to post picture like Basking4me and the rest did. And do I have chance to succeeded, sure 98 and 3/4% guaranteed. If poultry business is a mountain, I am about to climb it to the very top. Watch out for "Franklin Chicken" in the store near you.

So guys, let us make this tread fun again.

jites:

@Basking4me what is happening to this thread, it was very interesting from the begining when we were seeing pictures of day old chicks, building of the chicken house etc etc, now its all about fkn can you please send me the document, to be honest i also requested the document out of curiosity to see what it was all about but like fkn said himself its nothing but a mixture he came out with that he thinks is good for people in the poultry business.
Basking is currently asking for buyers for 1000 layers, my questions to Basking are
1 have these 1000 layers completed their cycle
2 has it been profitable, because i have a report that i bought that says with 1000 layers over the cycle period you can make about 2million naira. what do you say to this claim
3 what are the challenges you have encounter

4 why are you about to start again but this time with point of lay, does that mean having day old is too much wahala or what?
is marketing of the old layer a challenge because clearly it seems to be if you are asking for buyers for 1000 layers
Please Basking, make this thread interesting again cos i am about to start with 1000 layers next year and i need to know from people who have practical experience like yourself if its worth instead of relying on some report giving me some imaginary profit forcast.
Thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jites(m): 7:23pm On Dec 04, 2012
fnk: @jites, I don't think the road to success is clear cut. no matter how much info you get here, you will still need a leap of faith to get started. Even me with my research and all that, I am still expect some unforeseen events happening that scare me off my pants if I am not ready to handle it. I think why Nigeria is still a land of opportunity is simply because of unpredictability of the place, anything can happen any time. So that said, as some point, you will need to grab the bull by the horn and just ride it, and if you come out alive; what a trill the ride will be.

I am planning to start my own little poultry venture next year as well, i can't wait to begin an have the ability to post picture like Basking4me and the rest did. And do I have chance to succeeded, sure 98 and 3/4% guaranteed. If poultry business is a mountain, I am about to climb it to the very top. Watch out for "Franklin Chicken" in the store near you.

So guys, let us make this tread fun again.

@ fnk, Thanks a lot for your response, very matured, when i wrote my post saying everyone was asking for your report i thought you would be angry or something, but good on you you have got a great mind. Yes, like you said i think i will give it a go come next year and just enjoy the ride but one thing i can say is i have given it every preliminary preparation that i need to give it, you name it research, understudy, even a trial run of 250 birds and to be honest i think its worth giving it a go, if it goes pear shaped its not going to be for the lack of preparation. I have always said with poultry business you have to have the passion for it for it to succeed, its not like buying and selling of cars or IT or any other thing else, you have to treat the birds like your kids- love them, care for them, provide for them, when they are sick and believe me they will be, get a vet doctor to come look at them, give them warmth, medication, vacination infact everything you would do for your little baby if you know what i mean and at the end you would reap the reward. @ FNK good luck for next year and hopefully we would be sharing our success story together- SEE YOU AT THE TOP, GOD BLESS NIGERIA

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 1:44am On Dec 05, 2012
@jites, With passion, you can do anything you set your mind to. I want to go into poultry business, and I want to be very good at it. I currently represent couple American companies in introducing their products to the Nigerian market, that involves shipping and clearing, dealing with different gov't agencies who are out to suck you and literarily see you fail. So in search of what can be locally produced and locally consumed and with a good turn over, I started looking into poultry business. Knowing that a lot of mum and pop are involved in it, my idea is to differentiate myself and my bird from the rest and do it well. So with the challenges of loosing all your birds is also the opportunity of success and running a well known and recognized poultry farm in Nigeria. And this is what my target is. Lets see how next year turns out. I wish you'all the best.
[quote author=jites][/quote]
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Raxxye(m): 12:39pm On Dec 05, 2012
Hey all. I stumbled on this thread today, and it‘s been much pleasure reading through ur great contributions. Thanks @Hindsight,fnk, and everyone.
@fnk, can u be kind enough to send me the documents too: raxxye@yahoo.com. Thanks in advance!
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by steel5800(m): 10:51pm On Dec 05, 2012
Hi all. Been following this thread since inception n I want to say kudos to all of you.

I have about 700 layers and they've been laying for 5wks now but my problem is they're only laying 40eggs per day now and that's really discouraging considering what I've spent on them so far. Can somebody pls help me on how to increase their production? I give them topfeed concentrates and the birds are very big and healthy.

PLEASE HELP!!!
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jites(m): 10:59am On Dec 06, 2012
steel5800: Hi all. Been following this thread since inception n I want to say kudos to all of you.

I have about 700 layers and they've been laying for 5wks now but my problem is they're only laying 40eggs per day now and that's really discouraging considering what I've spent on them so far. Can somebody pls help me on how to increase their production? I give them topfeed concentrates and the birds are very big and healthy.

PLEASE HELP!!!

@ Steel5800, you have to be patient, thats how it start they will soon start increasing, dont change anything as such. i have 250 bird and it started with just one egg but now i have an average of 5 to 6 crates of eggs daily and it pays for their feeding now with a bit extra, mind you they are still not producing at their peak yet and they started laying about 8 weeks ago. what i have heard is that production also depends on the if they are in battery cage or just free roaming, mine are free roaming. i intend to start my next cycle with battery cage so i can get maximum production from them. so as long as they are being fed well and having the right medication just be psatient and production will pick up soon
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jites(m): 11:09am On Dec 06, 2012
seun70: I have actually been able to fence just two plots now. This is to enable me have enough fund for other things, and I spent roughly 950k to complete fencing the two plots.

@ Seun70, I wish you all the best in your business, however like BASKING and HINDSIGHT did at the beginning it will be nice to see pictures of what you are doing so we can all learn a thing or 2 cos we are all at different stages of progress. for instance pictures of the fence, of the construction of the poultry house etc a picture speaks volumn GOD BLESS NIGERIA
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by steel5800(m): 10:10pm On Dec 06, 2012
jites:

@ Steel5800, you have to be patient, thats how it start they will soon start increasing, dont change anything as such. i have 250 bird and it started with just one egg but now i have an average of 5 to 6 crates of eggs daily and it pays for their feeding now with a bit extra, mind you they are still not producing at their peak yet and they started laying about 8 weeks ago. what i have heard is that production also depends on the if they are in battery cage or just free roaming, mine are free roaming. i intend to start my next cycle with battery cage so i can get maximum production from them. so as long as they are being fed well and having the right medication just be psatient and production will pick up soon

Thanks for ur reply jites. I guess I'm just a little bit too anxious/worried because this isn't my first time of raising layers (though i stopped for some years) but its definitely the slowest I've experienced. My birds are also free roaming but will try and get cages for the next cycle too. Congrats on ur birds. Which company did u buy from? Mine's karmadex
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 11:33pm On Dec 06, 2012
What a thread that is so educative.well, I am a farmer too.I am very happy to be among you here.setting up a poultry farm for layers is fun but first you must have passion for the job , next is capital.without a good capital you will regret ever being a poultry farmer.so my advise is start small and grow big.i can see some people mentioning figures here, if you start big in poultry business you will lose big cash.its not about the money you have but how far can you take care of the birds.No doubt there is money in the busoness but remember no pain no gain,to get good money you must invest good money.most of the pictures here are good and esucative but poultry is far far beyond pictures you need to do it yourself.to start with you need good water , good housing and electricity,feed and vaccine, enougj vitamins will make your chicken feel good.orientation of your pen matters and diaposing your farm manure or recycling your poultry farm waste or manure to useful products such as fuel for cooking,space heating during brooding and power generation on site (electricity).should be of paramount to farmers.if you take good steps in poultry you will always smile to the bank.passion is the key word.I can dip my hands inside chicken litter it means nothing to me but for a beginners I doubt if he can.star small and grow big.
you can get rid of thcat odour in your farm and you can make your poultry farm conducive for both livestock and Human.For details
contact 08028482859 or the3muskettiers@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Raxxye(m): 10:18pm On Dec 07, 2012
Thanks, fnk; gorrit! Thanks again!
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jites(m): 1:03am On Dec 08, 2012
steel5800:

Thanks for ur reply jites. I guess I'm just a little bit too anxious/worried because this isn't my first time of raising layers (though i stopped for some years) but its definitely the slowest I've experienced. My birds are also free roaming but will try and get cages for the next cycle too. Congrats on ur birds. Which company did u buy from? Mine's karmadex

@ Steel5800, i am based in Sapele Delta state thats where i bought mine from. But does any know of the best breed to buy to maximise profit, someone suggetsed brown ones. I would really like to stock my next cycle with the best day old. In terms of the battery cage they can be very expensive, someone quoted me 25k for used ones and 50k for new ones and it s 90 birds by unit cage, so if you want to stock 1000 layers you would be looking at roughly half a million to stock new cages which to be honest is preferable so your bird dont contract disease from the previous occupant.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jites(m): 1:09am On Dec 08, 2012
obnelly: What a thread that is so educative.well, I am a farmer too.I am very happy to be among you here.setting up a poultry farm for layers is fun but first you must have passion for the job , next is capital.without a good capital you will regret ever being a poultry farmer.so my advise is start small and grow big.i can see some people mentioning figures here, if you start big in poultry business you will lose big cash.its not about the money you have but how far can you take care of the birds.No doubt there is money in the busoness but remember no pain no gain,to get good money you must invest good money.most of the pictures here are good and esucative but poultry is far far beyond pictures you need to do it yourself.to start with you need good water , good housing and electricity,feed and vaccine, enougj vitamins will make your chicken feel good.orientation of your pen matters and diaposing your farm manure or recycling your poultry farm waste or manure to useful products such as fuel for cooking,space heating during brooding and power generation on site (electricity).should be of paramount to farmers.if you take good steps in poultry you will always smile to the bank.passion is the key word.I can dip my hands inside chicken litter it means nothing to me but for a beginners I doubt if he can.star small and grow big.
you can get rid of thcat odour in your farm and you can make your poultry farm conducive for both livestock and Human.For details

contact 08028482859 or the3muskettiers@gmail.com

@obnelly, i am interested in knowing how to prevent odour because people have started to buy land close to where i intend to start my poutry and i want to try and minise the odour that would come from my poultry. i bought the land in the outskirt of town but as with other places people have started buying land there and i think they will be building residential accommodation soon. the good thing is i got there first and i am still the only there at the moment, but i would not want to cause trouble or inconvinience my neighbours at a later date, so strategy to try and minimise odour would be welcome. i know you said to contact your number but like you said you have been follwoing this thread you would see that information is usually shared here in the thread so that others can benefit from it. GOD BLESS NIGERIA
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 8:21am On Dec 08, 2012
Jites a proper waste management can prevent the odour but how you dispose the litter is another constraint.if its not properly dispose it will have effect on the soil,water and air around the location you are dropping your litters.if you can manage to incorporate a bioreactor into your farm.the machine will not reduce the odour but will also give you clean energy to reduce your carbon emission on your farm I mean the green house gas.the reactor will convery the farm waste into usefil products such as biofuel , organic fertilizer NPK and bedding for your livestock.at the end you have cleam and odour free environment.remember you can use the fuel to power your genetator to produce electricity,the heat for cooking as gad and broodinh young chicks.you need a professional to do feasobilitu studies based on what you have on your farm or I send you a questionair by doing that I can assess what you have and give you the advise.hope it helps.shalom
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by steel5800(m): 10:09am On Dec 08, 2012
jites:

@ Steel5800, i am based in Sapele Delta state thats where i bought mine from. But does any know of the best breed to buy to maximise profit, someone suggetsed brown ones. I would really like to stock my next cycle with the best day old. In terms of the battery cage they can be very expensive, someone quoted me 25k for used ones and 50k for new ones and it s 90 birds by unit cage, so if you want to stock 1000 layers you would be looking at roughly half a million to stock new cages which to be honest is preferable so your bird dont contract disease from the previous occupant.

@jites. In those days, ecwa used to be the best breed but I don't hear pple talking about them anymore. Amo and chi are quite good now. About d cages, a friend of mine who's also a vet doctor said he can supply and install for me new ones at 40k per 90 birds. He also said there's a way u can stock d birds such that 10 of those cages will accomodate 1000 birds and he installs them in a way that as soon the water drops to a certain level, d water inlet automatically opens to refill d drinker and closes when it gets to a certain level. This way u don't have to keep going thr to refill their drinkers. I stay in kano.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 10:21am On Dec 08, 2012
Also without proper inventory keeping or record keeping you cant be a successful farmer.you must spend time to interact with your chicken.i have a way of communicating with me chicken when they get panic or in distress its kind of funand people wonder how I do that.remember to monitor your staff they kill business thsn bird flu.so caution your staff and monitor their activities on the farm.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 10:29am On Dec 08, 2012
I fabricate locally made cages.my experience with used cages is that they dont last because they are weak already, if its not properly fumigate you stand the risk of losing your bird to parasites and diseases.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 10:37am On Dec 08, 2012
Steel5800, the closing and opening of that tap automatically is a simple technology which I believe you too can do.take a look at your water closet in your toilet,study the pluming system I believe you can learn a lot from that simple technology.once you flush your toilet the valve open and water enters and once its full it stops.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jites(m): 5:52pm On Dec 08, 2012
steel5800:

@jites. In those days, ecwa used to be the best breed but I don't hear pple talking about them anymore. Amo and chi are quite good now. About d cages, a friend of mine who's also a vet doctor said he can supply and install for me new ones at 40k per 90 birds. He also said there's a way u can stock d birds such that 10 of those cages will accomodate 1000 birds and he installs them in a way that as soon the water drops to a certain level, d water inlet automatically opens to refill d drinker and closes when it gets to a certain level. This way u don't have to keep going thr to refill their drinkers. I stay in kano.

@steel5800, Thanks Kano is a bit far from Delta State, but thats why i love technology, although you are far away we are able to share ideas. I used to live in Kano, infact i went to primary school in Kano and my extended family have houses there ans still live there. I lived in warri road, sabon gari and also balutus and new road. but my uncle has a house in no mans land. good memories i had therem went to mai kwatashi primary school.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jites(m): 5:53pm On Dec 08, 2012
obnelly: Jites a proper waste management can prevent the odour but how you dispose the litter is another constraint.if its not properly dispose it will have effect on the soil,water and air around the location you are dropping your litters.if you can manage to incorporate a bioreactor into your farm.the machine will not reduce the odour but will also give you clean energy to reduce your carbon emission on your farm I mean the green house gas.the reactor will convery the farm waste into usefil products such as biofuel , organic fertilizer NPK and bedding for your livestock.at the end you have cleam and odour free environment.remember you can use the fuel to power your genetator to produce electricity,the heat for cooking as gad and broodinh young chicks.you need a professional to do feasobilitu studies based on what you have on your farm or I send you a questionair by doing that I can assess what you have and give you the advise.hope it helps.shalom

@ obnelly, thanks a lot for this information i will certainly be looking into this, especially converting the waste for other uses instead of just disposing them off.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by miqos02(m): 11:50pm On Dec 08, 2012
How I wish my birds are ready so that I can contribute to this thread

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.