Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,964 members, 7,828,428 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:33 AM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (74) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (966759 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 8:41pm On Sep 20, 2014
pet01: ThankGod my birds started laying today at 19 weeks. Its a joy to see all your labor not wasted. Though I'm still giving them grower feed, I'll wait till they reach 25% production b/4 I start them with layer feed.
it shud be 5% and not 25%. If u want more egg, start giving extra light until 16hrs total light is reached.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by pet01(m): 8:57pm On Sep 20, 2014
FarmTech:
it shud be 5% and not 25%. If u want more egg, start giving extra light until 16hrs total light is reached.

Thanks farm tech, I posted the figure to be corrected. Thanks for your advice, I'll do just that.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Titiladeolu(m): 10:37am On Sep 21, 2014
shefgodson: pls can u gv me. d A -Z for raisin broilers at my backyard for jst for staters. as in feedin and medication...tnx.

As a new person that you are in the business,ieven if I give you...you still need some explanation so I will advise you to pm me or contact a consultant in your area...thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by AkayTopsy: 11:35am On Sep 21, 2014
@ Jamp, Farmtech, Agrotconsult and other experienced farmers in the house:

S.O.S please.

I got 1000 pullets and 500 broilers from Zartech on Tue and the DOCs arrived looking good. But by Wed I noticed the Pullets are having respiratory problem as few of them look like they are breathing through their mouth.

I have lost on the average of 30 pullets 5 broiler cosecutively in the last last 3days.

What do I do to control the situation please.

PS: I started the birds on vitamins and antibiotics since day2 (Gentadox and now Tylodox)

Help please this is my first batch of Layers though I've done several batches of Broilers.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 12:25pm On Sep 21, 2014
AkayTopsy: @ Jamp, Farmtech, Agrotconsult and other experienced farmers in the house:

S.O.S please.

I got 1000 pullets and 500 broilers from Zartech on Tue and the DOCs arrived looking good. But by Wed I noticed the Pullets are having respiratory problem as few of them look like they are breathing through their mouth.

I have lost on the average of 30 pullets 5 broiler cosecutively in the last last 3days.

PS: I started the birds on vitamins and antibiotics since day2 (Gentadox and now Tylodox)

Help please this is my first batch of Layers though I've done several batches of Broilers.

Sorry for your loss bro.

Administer a drug for Chronic Respiratory Disease (CRD) to all the birds until the affected once start breathing normally.

After that, administer drug for Anti-CRD 2x every week through out the broilers life, and for the pullets to 12weeks.

Ensure that your poultry pen is well ventilated.

As a preventive measure, administer anti-coccidiasis 2x a week 2ruOut the broilers life. Am not sure of the duration of anti-cocidiasis for pullets, cos am not into layers.

Continue administering vitamins throughout the broilers life, except on the day(s) you are administering vaccines.

Wishing you all the best in your quests.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 12:57pm On Sep 21, 2014
@akaytopsy, sorry for the loss. I dont really know about zartech. i know birds are vaccinated at hatchery to prevent some of this early problems.

Agonbello has said it all. pls follow the instruction.

also isolate the weak ones to avoid spreading of the disease.

will call you later.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Gozychuks(m): 4:19pm On Sep 21, 2014
How do I get clients to supply broilers to here in lagos. On a regular basis
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 5:21pm On Sep 21, 2014
Gozychuks: How do I get clients to supply broilers to here in lagos. On a regular basis

Visit hotels, restaurants, fast-food joints, super-markets, and discuss with those in charge.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 11:35pm On Sep 21, 2014
AkayTopsy: @ Jamp, Farmtech, Agrotconsult and other experienced farmers in the house:

S.O.S please.

With that number of birds, my advice is that you rush and do a lab test. It's not that costly and it'll save u a lot. If you're giving the wrong antibiotics, you're not only wasting money, you're also increasing the chances to your birds having resistance to antibiotics. Take heart and have courage. Keep them warm at all time.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 3:10am On Sep 22, 2014
A lab test on d dead ones would do- cause i am suspecting mycoplasm gallisecticum a stubborn disease to eliminating entirely normally affects young chicks especially d pulllets- since d difficulty in breathing is sporadic. Take d dead bird for a lab test.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by AkayTopsy: 8:19am On Sep 22, 2014
@agonbello and jamp thanks for your swift responses, I'll keep u informed as d birds improves God willing.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by AkayTopsy: 8:36am On Sep 22, 2014
FarmTech:
With that number of birds, my advice is that you rush and do a lab test. It's not that costly and it'll save u a lot. If you're giving the wrong antibiotics, you're not only wasting money, you're also increasing the chances to your birds having resistance to antibiotics. Take heart and have courage. Keep them warm at all time.

I get your point o. Unfortunately animal labs are not easy fetch here in abuja axis.

PLS FARMERS WITHIN ABUJA SULEJA AXIS KINDLY ADVICE US ON ANY VET LAB IN THIS AREA.

ALSO what is the house opinion on IMMUCOX (I understand it is an ANTICOCCX Vaccine) Has anyone tried it and how effective is the vaccine?

Tnx @farmtech
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 8:45am On Sep 22, 2014
AkayTopsy:

I get your point o. Unfortunately animal labs are not easy fetch here in abuja axis.

PLS FARMERS WITHIN ABUJA SULEJA AXIS KINDLY ADVICE US ON ANY VET LAB IN THIS AREA.

Tnx @farmtech

bros, no lab in Abuja. though its funny. even Vet world sends their specimen to lagos. am yet to get HURU phone number to know the procedure in sending specimen to lagos.

@Huru please i need your phone number or you can give us the details of your contact.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 1:33pm On Sep 22, 2014
AkayTopsy:

ALSO what is the house opinion on IMMUCOX (I understand it is an ANTICOCCX Vaccine) Has anyone tried it and how effective is the vaccine?

Tnx @farmtech
I've read where sb said there is no lab in Abuja, i was really suprise.
I've nt tried immucox, but I heard it is only effective within 5 days old, and you don't hav to give any coccidiosis drug again.
Now your birds, do they have mucus in their mouth? Do you have any vet?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by AkayTopsy: 8:39pm On Sep 22, 2014
@agroconsult, farmtech don't be suprised o! I did as u said, took samples of the birds to my Vet, but she also experessed her disappointment that there's no Lab in abj that one can run any serious test. So if we have any intrested VET\INVESTOR they abuja market is an opportunity to tap into.

I think I'll try IMMUCOX on my next batch of birds I belive coccx is a disease that needs to be given as much attention as ND and IB.

My Birds:NO mucus, but they sneeze and as well open ther mouth for breath. Based on the situation report I gave my vEt, she confirmed that Respiratory Disease is pervasive in Zartech birds (it's an hatchery thing) that needs to have been addressed since the birds were day old. Well she recommended another antibiotic. And the birds are now on it.

Thank you all for your concern and advice.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by condi1704(m): 4:12am On Sep 23, 2014
AkayTopsy: @agroconsult, farmtech don't be suprised o! I did as u said, took samples of the birds to my Vet, but she also experessed her disappointment that there's no Lab in abj that one can run any serious test. So if we have any intrested VET\INVESTOR they abuja market is an opportunity to tap into.

I think I'll try IMMUCOX on my next batch of birds I belive coccx is a disease that needs to be given as much attention as ND and IB.

My Birds:NO mucus, but they sneeze and as well open ther mouth for breath. Based on the situation report I gave my vEt, she confirmed that Respiratory Disease is pervasive in Zartech birds (it's an hatchery thing) that needs to have been addressed since the birds were day old. Well she recommended another antibiotic. And the birds are now on it.

bros some effects na management issue. can u check if the brooding temperatures is not too much as well maybe u dey use charcoal whey dey commot smoke or u don block everywhere whey no air dey come in for air exchange. pls crosscheck. if not then anti respiratory disease drug is ok
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by huru: 7:53am On Sep 23, 2014
jamp:

bros, no lab in Abuja. though its funny. even Vet world sends their specimen to lagos. am yet to get HURU phone number to know the procedure in sending specimen to lagos.

@Huru please i need your phone number or you can give us the details of your contact.

@ Jamp sorry for the delay but check your mail box. Meanwhile for urgent lab test call Zygosis Lab, Ibadan, phone 08077394218. They are very good
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 11:49am On Sep 23, 2014
Hi nairalanders and poultry farmers. Pls I need help or information on how to get a reputable point of lay birds preferably here in lagos to start my farm. Thnx all
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by AkayTopsy: 1:43pm On Sep 23, 2014
condi1704: bros some effects na management issue. can u check if the brooding temperatures is not too much as well maybe u dey use charcoal whey dey commot smoke or u don block everywhere whey no air dey come in for air exchange. pls crosscheck. if not then anti respiratory disease drug is ok

You're right but that isn't the case because I'm on the ground, unlike before where I leave the brOoding inthe hand of my helps.

Thank God the mortality figure has dropped.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 2:19pm On Sep 23, 2014
fnk:

There are 62 pages on this thread, all your questions have been answered there. So, do your due diligence and go through the pages, you will learn more than just having someone here give you a line answer to your question. (between page 60-62) you will see the break down on some of the cost you seek for.

My two cents!
@fnk.... Have been a guest but jst register today. Have read the tread from page 1 to 73. You mention something which I believe will help me also, that Ȋ̝̊̅§ the virushield, pls and pls I will be glad if Ɣou can email it to me also, (praise_real@yahoo.com) thnx and hope to read from u.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 3:03pm On Sep 23, 2014
AkayTopsy: @agroconsult, farmtech don't be suprised o! I did as u said, took samples of the birds to my Vet, but she also experessed her disappointment that there's no Lab in abj that one can run any serious test. So if we have any intrested VET\INVESTOR they abuja market is an opportunity to tap into.

Which antibiotic are u currently giving them?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by AkayTopsy: 3:29am On Sep 24, 2014
FarmTech:
Which antibiotic are u currently giving them?

Started with Gentadox then Tylodox now Floricol. Note all these were based on Vet Dr recommendation.

Though the Mortality has dropped to like 14birds as @ Yday, it's still worrisome that I still see a lot of birds sneezing. I've culled\Issolated more than 15 chicks, balnced the room temperature with Thermometer, Ventilation Checked, but everytime I enter d brooding room I still hear a new chick sneeze.

This respiratory Infection THEY SHOW ME O!
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by toskilo: 6:21am On Sep 24, 2014
Hi, had similar issue with their boilers. Lost 172 out of 500 birds in the first one week. I spoke with one of their vets who recommended doxygen. When I told him later that they were sneezing, he told me to get tylosin and not tylodox. I later told him I could not get tylosin as a brand name, he told me to get an antibiotics that had only tylosin without any other composition. I saw tylodox in my hunt and saw it contains oxytetracycline. Before I could get it the birds had stopped sneezing and dying. The doxygen had taken care of it. About a week and some days later we recorded mortality without them being sick and was told to repeat cocci and antibiotics every 2 weeks. You may wish to talk to your vet for her opinion. Good luck.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 8:27am On Sep 24, 2014
toskilo: Hi, had similar issue with their boilers. Lost 172 out of 500 birds in the first one week. I spoke with one of their vets who recommended doxygen. When I told him later that they were sneezing, he told me to get tylosin and not tylodox. I later told him I could not get tylosin as a brand name, he told me to get an antibiotics that had only tylosin without any other composition. I saw tylodox in my hunt and saw it contains oxytetracycline. Before I could get it the birds had stopped sneezing and dying. The doxygen had taken care of it. About a week and some days later we recorded mortality without them being sick and was told to repeat cocci and antibiotics every 2 weeks. You may wish to talk to your vet for her opinion. Good luck.

i have heard stories about their product. they need to improve else they will lose customers. most of the problem we farmers have is from hatchery. like the saying goes GOOD START GOOD FINISH.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fzero: 10:02am On Sep 24, 2014
Hello poultry farmers You can also ask poultry related questions and get answers on www.agricnetwork.com
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 1:10pm On Sep 24, 2014
AkayTopsy:

Started with Gentadox then Tylodox now Floricol. Note all these were based on Vet Dr recommendation.

Though the Mortality has dropped to like 14birds as @ Yday, it's still worrisome that I still see a lot of birds sneezing. I've culled\Issolated more than 15 chicks, balnced the room temperature with Thermometer, Ventilation Checked, but everytime I enter d brooding room I still hear a new chick sneeze.

This respiratory Infection THEY SHOW ME O!
I'll also like to know how you get the correct dosage to give. Another thing is your water quality. If the water contain minerals like iron etc, they can also interfere with drugs and reduce their efficiency. Also disinfectants like chlorine, iodine etc can also cause problem with drugs.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by rm94(m): 5:20pm On Sep 24, 2014
hello great poultry farmers, i have been following this thread for some time now though not actively. pls i have an issue i want the house to help me solve. i have been experiencing stampede in my layers' farm. i lost 125 POL birds in 1 week. 17 weeks old bird precisely. Kindly help proffer a solution to this crisis as the cause of the stampede is still unknown. i practise deep litter system. Dont mention cage because i dont av enuf fund for battery cage yet. tanx in anticipation of practical contributions.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 6:05pm On Sep 24, 2014
rm94: hello great poultry farmers, i have been following this thread for some time now though not actively. pls i have an issue i want the house to help me solve. i have been experiencing stampede in my layers' farm. i lost 125 POL birds in 1 week. 17 weeks old bird precisely. Kindly help proffer a solution to this crisis as the cause of the stampede is still unknown. i practise deep litter system. Dont mention cage because i dont av enuf fund for battery cage yet. tanx in anticipation of practical contributions.

I guess you have limited space for your birds also their is something that triggered the stampeding which could be sudden sharp sound around your poultry pen.

(1) (2) (3) ... (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.