Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,957 members, 7,835,190 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:52 AM

Upwork Thread (Questions/Help/Advice) - Business (100) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Upwork Thread (Questions/Help/Advice) (145649 Views)

Help Advice On My Keke Business & Tracker / BAR SOAP Makers Plz Come In And Answer These Questions, Help.. / Please Help, Advice Me On My Current Situation With Remita (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) ... (107) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Upwork Thread (Questions/Help/Advice) by Vicky2k(m): 12:39pm On Jan 04
qtguru:

Wise ,Revolut and PayPal I'm outside naija that's why
There is also Grey and Payoneer.
Re: Upwork Thread (Questions/Help/Advice) by qtguru(m): 2:26pm On Jan 04
Vicky2k:

There is also Grey and Payoneer.

Payoneer has never worked for me
Re: Upwork Thread (Questions/Help/Advice) by Sureshegsy(m): 1:28am On Jan 05
qtguru:

I reached out to the Customer Service, to be sincere I don't know, how long have you been running as a US account ? because they only flagged me when I shared payment details, but I had never been flagged for logging into someone's account, then again, it's possible all these information are logged against you, until you commit an offence that's big enough to shed light on you.
Thank you for the response. One of my guy got blocked recently on Upwork because of the location stuff they ask him for loaction reverification and he couldn't pass it. I changed back to Nigeria now, because I have a long term client and I don't want to jeopardize that.

Please do you know how I can stop Upwork from charging me 7.5% VAT?
Re: Upwork Thread (Questions/Help/Advice) by qtguru(m): 8:52am On Jan 05
Sureshegsy:
Thank you for the response. One of my guy got blocked recently on Upwork because of the location stuff they ask him for loaction reverification and he couldn't pass it. I changed back to Nigeria now, because I have a long term client and I don't want to jeopardize that.

Please do you know how I can stop Upwork from charging me 7.5% VAT?

Did you configure the W-BEN ? I've never come across that Tax, do you have a screenshot of that. Upwork is not playing with blocking people.
Re: Upwork Thread (Questions/Help/Advice) by Blaqq2: 10:55am On Jan 05
I've come accrossed the tax
How should I configure it.

qtguru:

Did you configure the W-BEN ? I've never come across that Tax, do you have a screenshot of that. Upwork is not playing with blocking people.

Re: Upwork Thread (Questions/Help/Advice) by qtguru(m): 11:54am On Jan 05
Blaqq2:
I've come accrossed the tax
How should I configure it.

I used my TIN
Re: Upwork Thread (Questions/Help/Advice) by Jaycobbs(m): 4:41pm On Jan 05
grin grin

It's been a minute on this great platform.

Got messaged by a client. He has an Upwork history and a 100% hire rate. To do the job, he was asking for my email to send me some documents. I told him Upwork prohibits communication outside Upwork.

He didn't reply again, and when I checked again, he'd cancelled the job.

I dey reason message the guy again, but it's risky.

MY QUESTION: If one were to take a risk and share their emails on Upwork, is there anything that can be done to make sure the bots don't get you? Cos it seems Upwork has revamped their bots in recent times.

Like on Fiverr, they put spacing between the email address

I want to see if I can tease the client back if I give him the email.
Re: Upwork Thread (Questions/Help/Advice) by qtguru(m): 5:19pm On Jan 05
Jaycobbs:
grin grin

Got messaged by a client. He has an Upwork history and a 100% hire rate. To do the job, he was asking for my email to send me some documents. I told him Upwork prohibits communication outside Upwork.

MY QUESTION: If one were to take a risk and share their emails on Upwork, is there anything that can be done to make sure the bots don't get you? Cos it seems Upwork has revamped their bots in recent times.

I shared email today but I explained to the woman that it's my name AT google and that I can't spell it for her. so she understood, you can't share until they create a contract.

4 Likes

Re: Upwork Thread (Questions/Help/Advice) by Jaycobbs(m): 5:55pm On Jan 05
qtguru:

I shared email today but I explained to the woman that it's my name AT google and that I can't spell it for her. so she understood, you can't share until they create a contract.

Mad OT.

Thanks, man.
Re: Upwork Thread (Questions/Help/Advice) by Vicky2k(m): 3:39pm On Jan 07
Hello Guys, Those in Technical Writing Niche, please anyone with sample work or experience in writing a functional specification document for a web application. I am currently in chat talks with an Upwork client who needs such.
Re: Upwork Thread (Questions/Help/Advice) by Codedboy95(m): 10:34pm On Jan 07
Jaycobbs:
grin grin

There is nothing wrong with sharing your email to receive documents, infact, I share not just my email but my skype information everytime and nothing happens, the most important thing is that when it comes to time of the client hiring you, it happens on upwork.

1 Like

Re: Upwork Thread (Questions/Help/Advice) by N2B2: 7:43pm On Jan 08
Codedboy95:

There is nothing wrong with sharing your email to receive documents, infact, I share not just my email but my skype information everytime and nothing happens, the most important thing is that when it comes to time of the client hiring you, it happens on upwork.

Clients can also send documents on Upwork. You can politely guide them into doing it.

The bolded will get you in trouble if you're, infact, communicating with clients outside Upwork (via email, Skype, WhatsApp, etc.) about the project before a contract is awarded. Repeat offenders are frequently blessed with permanent bans.

The most important thing is to not lose your account over minor rule violations that could have been avoided.

1 Like

Re: Upwork Thread (Questions/Help/Advice) by qtguru(m): 11:09pm On Jan 08
KingEarnest:
Good evening everyone.

As a graphic designer, is Upwork a good platform for me?

Always search for Nigerian Graphic designers on Upwork, do some research and see what your peers are doing, that will show you what to learn and what niche field to look into.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Upwork Thread (Questions/Help/Advice) by KingEarnest(m): 7:07am On Jan 09
qtguru:

Always search for Nigerian Graphic designers on Upwork, do some research and see what your peers are doing, that will show you what to learn and what niche field to look into.
Ok, thanks
Re: Upwork Thread (Questions/Help/Advice) by Bluearrow: 9:35am On Jan 09
Re: Upwork Thread (Questions/Help/Advice) by Codedboy95(m): 10:36am On Jan 09
N2B2:

Clients can also send documents on Upwork. You can politely guide them into doing it.

The bolded will get you in trouble if you're, infact, communicating with clients outside Upwork (via email, Skype, WhatsApp, etc.) about the project before a contract is awarded. Repeat offenders are frequently blessed with permanent bans.

The most important thing is to not lose your account over minor rule violations that could have been avoided.

You will never loose your account over communicating off upwork, if your account is under review it is because they suspect that you took the job off upwork, its not because you are communicating off upwork. The reason why they suggest that you do all communication on upwork is because they know it can lead to you taking the job off upwork.

Regarding sharing document on upwork, there are specific confidential documents client might not be comfortable sharing with you on upwork.

Below is me telling a client ( before being hired) that I prefer to use google meet over upwork call. I have done this over and over again and never have my account been suspended.

1 Like

Re: Upwork Thread (Questions/Help/Advice) by N2B2: 10:59am On Jan 09
Codedboy95:

You will never loose your account over communicating off upwork, if your account is under review it is because they suspect that you took the job off upwork, its not because you are communicating off upwork. That is reason why they suggest that you do all communication on upwork is because they know it can lead to you taking the job off upwork.

Regarding sharing document on upwork, there are specific confidently documents client might not be comfortable sharing with you on upwork.

Communicating with clients outside Upwork before a contract is in place is against Upwork's Terms of Service. Upwork can permanently ban you for it.

You can read about the violation (which Upworks deems "circumvention" ) here: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052511133

From the article:

- The person you’ve met on Upwork may not realize that contact information sharing isn’t always allowed. You can tell them our Terms of Service prohibits you from sharing your contact information before a contract is in place.

- Breaking our Terms of Service by circumventing forces us to permanently close your Upwork account, meaning you can no longer use Upwork for any work.

Communicating strictly on Upwork before a contract is in place can help you if you ever find yourself in mediation over a dispute with a client.

And about that last point — which company will share highly confidential documents with (or give access to CMS or other internal systems to) a freelancer whom they don't have a contract with (or who has not signed an NDA)?

Below is me telling a client ( before being hired) that I prefer to use google meet over upwork call. I have done this over and over again and never have my account been suspended.

Again, that's because Upwork isn't onto you yet. However, what you're doing in that screenshot is a violation of their circumvention policy. If they catch you, they will look into you; and if you're a repeat offender, you could be banned. Is it worth the risk?
Re: Upwork Thread (Questions/Help/Advice) by Codedboy95(m): 11:48am On Jan 09
N2B2:

Communicating with clients outside Upwork before a contract is in place is against Upwork's Terms of Service. Upwork can permanently ban you for it.

You can read about the violation (which Upworks deems "circumvention" ) here: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052511133

From the article:

- The person you’ve met on Upwork may not realize that contact information sharing isn’t always allowed. You can tell them our Terms of Service prohibits you from sharing your contact information before a contract is in place.

- Breaking our Terms of Service by circumventing forces us to permanently close your Upwork account, meaning you can no longer use Upwork for any work.

Communicating strictly on Upwork before a contract is in place can help you if you ever find yourself in mediation over a dispute with a client.

And about that last point — which company will share highly confidential documents with (or give access to CMS or other internal systems to) a freelancer whom they don't have a contract with (or who has not signed an NDA)?

Again, that's because Upwork isn't onto you yet. However, what you're doing in that screenshot is a violation of their circumvention policy. If they catch you, they will look into you; and if you're a repeat offender, you could be banned. Is it worth the risk?
You are absolutely right; it's in their policy, and I wouldn't advise anyone here to violate Upwork's policy. What I will say is that sometimes it might be appropriate to use common sense.

The client in the screenshot below secured me the highest hourly paying job I've had on Upwork. As you can see from the screenshot, her response to my proposal was to arrange a Zoom call. Am I going to say this is against Upwork's policy? Absolutely not. Why?

She has spent more than $1.2 million on Upwork.
Her hire rate is 90%.
She has hired over 200 freelancers.
She has been using Upwork since 2009.

It's highly likely that she has sent Zoom links to everyone she has hired recently. Did Upwork ban them? I don't think so. Will Upwork ban me because I didn't point out this issue to a top-tier client who has been using the platform since 2009 long before I even joined ? I don't believe so. Perhaps I would have lost this job if I had prolonged the conversation, insisting on using Upwork's call feature.

In conclusion, common sense is important. If your account is new and you have a history of always initiating calls off Upwork, then you might be at a greater risk of being banned.

Regarding NDAs, this same client sent me an NDA and other documents via the email I provided her during the Zoom call we had (as seen in the second screenshot).

2 Likes

Re: Upwork Thread (Questions/Help/Advice) by N2B2: 12:33pm On Jan 09
Codedboy95:

You are absolutely right; it's in their policy, and I wouldn't advise anyone here to violate Upwork's policy. What I will say is that sometimes it might be appropriate to use common sense.

The client in the screenshot below secured me the highest hourly paying job I've had on Upwork. As you can see from the screenshot, her response to my proposal was to arrange a Zoom call. Am I going to say this is against Upwork's policy? Absolutely not. Why?

She has spent more than $1.2 million on Upwork.
Her hire rate is 90%.
She has hired over 200 freelancers.
She has been using Upwork since 2009.

It's highly likely that she has sent Zoom links to everyone she has hired recently. Did Upwork ban them? I don't think so. Will Upwork ban me because I didn't point out this issue to a top-tier client who has been using the platform since 2009 long before I even joined ? I don't believe so. Perhaps I would have lost this job if I had prolonged the conversation, insisting on using Upwork's call feature.

In conclusion, common sense is important. If your account is new and you have a history of always initiating calls off Upwork, then you might be at a greater risk of being banned.

Regarding NDAs, this same client sent me an NDA and other documents via the email I provided her during the Zoom call we had (as seen in the second screenshot).

Time after time, freelancers have gotten their accounts permanently banned over preventable rule violations, especially old-timers and big earners. In many of these cases, the freelancers didn't read the rule book; they just applied "common sense."

Upwork's rules are there to prevent guesswork. There are grey areas in the rulebook, but circumvention is not one of them. Upwork (which is known to be lenient to its clients) doesn't care how old the client is, how much the client has spent, or whether the client is about to give you your big break.

I can't tell you how to interact with your clients, but I can point out what IMHO are rule violations — and that's what I'm doing.

It's not fun to be a stickler for rules. But, when these rules are from the platform where one earns their daily bread — or a substantial part of their income — then it's wise to be cautious and rule-abiding.

Here's an Upwork article that highlights actions that can get a freelancer banned. You can check what no.1 is: https://www.upwork.com/resources/leading-voices/getting-banned-on-upwork

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Upwork Thread (Questions/Help/Advice) by Codedboy95(m): 12:53pm On Jan 09
N2B2:

Time after time, freelancers have gotten their accounts permanently banned over preventable rule violations, especially old-timers and big earners. In many of these cases, the freelancers didn't read the rule book; they just applied "common sense."

Upwork's rules are there to prevent guesswork. There are grey areas in the rulebook, but circumvention is not one of them. Upwork (which is known to be lenient to its clients) doesn't care how old the client is, how much the client has spent, or whether the client is about to give you your big break.

I can't tell you how to interact with your clients, but I can point out what IMHO are rule violations — and that's what I'm doing.

It's not fun to be a stickler for rules. But, when these rules are from the platform where one earns their daily bread — or a substantial part of their income — then it's wise to be cautious and rule-abiding.

Here's an Upwork article that highlights actions that can get a freelancer banned. You can check what no.1 is: https://www.upwork.com/resources/leading-voices/getting-banned-on-upwork

This will be my last message about this - Again, I am in agreement with you, and I am wrong but not totally wrong, so I will say this, please don't share your contact information like skype or phone number before the contract starts if the reason why you are sharing it is to communicate off upwork, but if the client is requesting to send documents or information to your email for the sole purpose of kickstarting the contract, please provide your email and don't lose the job like that OP did. The links and screenshot below shows the common sense I was talking about, It is not in the policy but you can see various moderators confirming that in specific situations, you can share your contact information like email

Also, upwork added these exceptions in an article here: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360051749534-Contact-Information-Sharing

https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Client-shared-their-contact-information-before-the-contract-has/m-p/969569

1 Like

Re: Upwork Thread (Questions/Help/Advice) by qtguru(m): 3:49pm On Jan 09
Thanks cuz I've been panicking since the last suspension.
Re: Upwork Thread (Questions/Help/Advice) by juzo98(m): 4:06pm On Jan 11
Vicky2k:
Hello Guys, Those in Technical Writing Niche, please anyone with sample work or experience in writing a functional specification document for a web application. I am currently in chat talks with an Upwork client who needs such.

Hello chief you can pm me
Re: Upwork Thread (Questions/Help/Advice) by Emeraldfynest(m): 6:15pm On Jan 11
Hello guys, good evening. So I got my first Upwork job like 3 weeks ago, it was a website redesign job for a client and I finished the job well.
The client liked it and has even given it to a developer to implement.

But after I handed over and he paid, he didn't end the contract or leave a review, it's been more than a week now. I've messaged him but no response.

Can I send him an email even though that's against Upwork's rules? I really need that review as my first so I can also get my JSS.
Pls what do you think?’

2 Likes

Re: Upwork Thread (Questions/Help/Advice) by beautycrush24(f): 7:50pm On Jan 11
Emeraldfynest:
Hello guys, good evening. So I got my first Upwork job like 3 weeks ago, it was a website redesign job for a client and I finished the job well.
The client liked it and has even given it to a developer to implement.

But after I handed over and he paid, he didn't end the contract or leave a review, it's been more than a week now. I've messaged him but no response.

Can I send him an email even though that's against Upwork's rules? I really need that review as my first so I can also get my JSS.
Pls what do you think?’

If you're sure you're done working together and he has paid already (not under review o), then you can go ahead and end the contract yourself. You can also politely ask him for a review. Since that's your first job, you'll definitely need that 5 star review

3 Likes

Re: Upwork Thread (Questions/Help/Advice) by Emeraldfynest(m): 9:43pm On Jan 11
Yes we're totally done and he doesn't have any corrections or review about the job. But if I end the contract myself, that means I've closed any chances of him leaving a review right?
beautycrush24:

If you're sure you're done working together and he has paid already (not under review o), then you can go ahead and end the contract yourself. You can also politely ask him for a review. Since that's your first job, you'll definitely need that 5 star review
Re: Upwork Thread (Questions/Help/Advice) by beautycrush24(f): 9:47pm On Jan 11
Emeraldfynest:
Yes we're totally done and he doesn't have any corrections or review about the job. But if I end the contract myself, that means I've closed any chances of him leaving a review right?

No, I don't think so. A contract has to end for the client to write a review. Even if he wants to give a review on his own, he has to end the contract first. I'm not very certain though. Maybe someone else can shed some light on that part
Re: Upwork Thread (Questions/Help/Advice) by Emeraldfynest(m): 10:26pm On Jan 11
Alright thank you.
beautycrush24:

No, I don't think so. A contract has to end for the client to write a review. Even if he wants to give a review on his own, he has to end the contract first. I'm not very certain though. Maybe someone else can shed some light on that part
Re: Upwork Thread (Questions/Help/Advice) by wonyi: 12:29pm On Jan 13
Codedboy95:
I have been using symfony almost everyday for the past 3 years. I have a full time job ( I got from upwork) and their stack is symfony and No i don't do WordPress ( in the past i used to)

Good day Sir, do u offer tutorials?
Re: Upwork Thread (Questions/Help/Advice) by qtguru(m): 2:52pm On Jan 13
Emeraldfynest:

I just ended contracts from 1 year ago, most don't bother to leave a review if you don't ask. I have tons of projects completed without reviews.
Re: Upwork Thread (Questions/Help/Advice) by Emeraldfynest(m): 12:58am On Jan 14
I guess I'll just leave it then in case he responds later. Thank you.
qtguru:

I just ended contracts from 1 year ago, most don't bother to leave a review if you don't ask. I have tons of projects completed without reviews.
Re: Upwork Thread (Questions/Help/Advice) by wonyi: 6:32pm On Jan 15
Please I need a mentor

Anyone organising tutorial?

(1) (2) (3) ... (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) ... (107) (Reply)

Who Is Who In Nigeria: The Full List Of The Top 50 Richest Nigerian Billionaires / Learn How To Make Ankara Bags,purses N Accessories Online Free / How To Make Steady Sure Wins In Online Betting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.