Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,286 members, 7,811,849 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:13 PM

Obinwanne Okeke (Invictus Obi) Sentenced To 10 Years In Prison - Crime (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Obinwanne Okeke (Invictus Obi) Sentenced To 10 Years In Prison (57590 Views)

Court Grants Obinwanne Okeke "Invictus Obi" Permission To See Dentist / Obinwanne Okeke Invictus Obi Has Associates That Need Investigating / Obinwanne Okeke: Invictus Obi Forbes 100 Most Influential Young African In 2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obinwanne Okeke (Invictus Obi) Sentenced To 10 Years In Prison by MT: 8:58am On Feb 17, 2021
Daniella2252:

Easy na.. why another man problem wan finish you ?

Get it right, it's not another man's problem. These silly individuals make life difficult for hardworking Nigerians out there. You are a lady, going by your profile, will you honestly want you kids to go the way of certain Invictus?. If you are rooting for him or his secret admirers, then that prayer is inevitable.

1 Like

Re: Obinwanne Okeke (Invictus Obi) Sentenced To 10 Years In Prison by DGodson99: 8:58am On Feb 17, 2021
cchub:
1.I know some people are happy seeing this.
2.Fucck y'all

Damn niggar.
Black and He's also a nigerian.
White men who were involved in multi million dollar ponzi scheme were given less jail term.
some were even sentenced to house arrest.
but Shaa, he got a Good lawyer and God dey hin back.

But shaa, my gee did the crime, he'll definitely do the time.

And when he comes out, the remaining millions stashed would give him a new life and the people he didn't Snitch on, also owe him.

mompha got a tip, he quickly ran to nigeria. He knows he'll be protected here. however, unlucky was the fate of invictus.

See you in ten years niggar.

Such pathetic scam apologist..sorry for you and your likes. Only if you knew why he got such reduced sentence.
Re: Obinwanne Okeke (Invictus Obi) Sentenced To 10 Years In Prison by rafosky1: 9:01am On Feb 17, 2021
Re: Obinwanne Okeke (Invictus Obi) Sentenced To 10 Years In Prison by einsteine(m): 9:12am On Feb 17, 2021
He will serve 8 years, 6 months. The character attestations and guilty plea helped him reduce from the maximum 20 years to this. I can't imagine that working for Hushpuppi.
Re: Obinwanne Okeke (Invictus Obi) Sentenced To 10 Years In Prison by einsteine(m): 9:12am On Feb 17, 2021
smile11s:

He will not do the 10 years. He will be deported early like in 2 to 3 years for good behavior.

Nope.

You must serve 85% of your sentence in Federal prison.
Re: Obinwanne Okeke (Invictus Obi) Sentenced To 10 Years In Prison by Ishilove: 9:14am On Feb 17, 2021
So when is he eligible for parole?
Re: Obinwanne Okeke (Invictus Obi) Sentenced To 10 Years In Prison by Ishilove: 9:15am On Feb 17, 2021
einsteine:
He will serve 8 years, 6 months. The character attestations and guilty plea helped him reduce from the maximum 20 years to this. I can't imagine that working for Hushpuppi.
8 years is still a long time...
Re: Obinwanne Okeke (Invictus Obi) Sentenced To 10 Years In Prison by Benwallt(m): 9:16am On Feb 17, 2021
Good for him so far they didn't tamper with the money in his account. He would have something to fall back to.
Re: Obinwanne Okeke (Invictus Obi) Sentenced To 10 Years In Prison by einsteine(m): 9:16am On Feb 17, 2021
goaldynboy:

Ten years in sentencing actually means Five (5) years! It runs day and night!!

And if he has been in detention since the last two (2); that means in the next three (3) years, he will be out!

Invinctus will be out before 2025!!

You are wrong.

People keep spouting this day and night nonsense.

Go and ask people who have been in prison.

What you have is early release due to good behaviour. In Nigeria, this is calculated as 8 months for every 12 months sentenced. In US Federal prison, it is 85% of your sentence before you are considered for early release and it is not automatic.

There is NOWHERE in the world where prison time is calculated as day and night.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obinwanne Okeke (Invictus Obi) Sentenced To 10 Years In Prison by einsteine(m): 9:18am On Feb 17, 2021
goaldynboy:

When someone is sentenced 40years imprisonment and is said to have served his full time in 20years and is released; what do you think is the reason?!

Give example of this. Links that showed someone sentenced to 40 years (not a concurrent sentence) but actual 40 years and the person is out after serving full time in 20 years. One link.
Re: Obinwanne Okeke (Invictus Obi) Sentenced To 10 Years In Prison by einsteine(m): 9:20am On Feb 17, 2021
Ishilove:

8 years is still a long time...

Better than 20 or 30 years for him. He can still see his daughter grow into a teenager. She is still under 2 years old
Re: Obinwanne Okeke (Invictus Obi) Sentenced To 10 Years In Prison by paltielx: 9:23am On Feb 17, 2021
Good for him, Yahoo is not business or hustling Nigeria youth need to understand that
Re: Obinwanne Okeke (Invictus Obi) Sentenced To 10 Years In Prison by einsteine(m): 9:24am On Feb 17, 2021
bluefilm:

I dey tell you.

I envisaged nothing less than 30 years behind bars for the møtherfucker.

But it seems the US justice system has got some loopholes that any smart criminal lawyer could exploit to get favorable sentences for their clients.

I think that's what happened in this guy's case.

Hoshpoppi might even end up getting 2 years at most. grin

30 years how?

The maximum charge for this is 20 years. He got lesser sentencing because people wrote to attest to his good deeds, charity and to show that he has low risk of recidivism. He also pleaded guilty and he is a first time offender. Also, there is only one charge. All these things help. Plus he doesn't appear to have the typical profile of the average criminal.

Hushpuppi would be different. His has more charges and he is wasting the time of the prosecution by hiring expensive lawyers and not pleading guilty in time.
Re: Obinwanne Okeke (Invictus Obi) Sentenced To 10 Years In Prison by uvie66: 9:24am On Feb 17, 2021
smile11s:
Life no balance at all.

So he will not speak pigin or Igbo for the next 10 years? Chai crime no dey pay. For this short life wey we get, 10 years will be locked up in a dungeon dream of thick walls and criminals?
no p@$$y for ten years
Re: Obinwanne Okeke (Invictus Obi) Sentenced To 10 Years In Prison by sivel(m): 9:25am On Feb 17, 2021
Forbes Africa named the Nigerian-born businessman as one of its “30 under 30” class of 2016. Bruce Whifield interviews Okeke...
It’s all hard work!

Obinwanne Okeke
The Money Show’s Bruce Whitfield interviewed Nigerian-born businessman Obinwanne Okeke.

Okeke is the Chairman and CEO of Invictus Group of Companies.

He is featured on the cover of the latest Forbes Africa magazine as one of its “30 under 30” class of 2016.

Scroll down for quotes from the audio below.

ADVERTISING

Dream, believe in yourself and work on it.

Obinwanne Okeke
I started small without seed capital.

Obinwanne Okeke
I had my first company since I was 14. It was no overnight success.

Obinwanne Okeke
I read a lot. I believe it’s one reason why I’ve achieved success.

Obinwanne Okeke

Advocatejustice:
Please does anyone here have his motivational quotes and pictures in Harvard giving them Lori iro during his lectures in his free days?

I want to check something.
Re: Obinwanne Okeke (Invictus Obi) Sentenced To 10 Years In Prison by FuckThaMod: 9:26am On Feb 17, 2021
chelseamann:
That's how they will be oppressing us with stolen wealth
You're simply a lazy broke ass nigga

1 Like

Re: Obinwanne Okeke (Invictus Obi) Sentenced To 10 Years In Prison by uvie66: 9:27am On Feb 17, 2021
cchub:
2.Fucck y'all

Damn niggar.
White men who were involved in multi million dollar ponzi scheme were given less jail term.

And when he comes out, the remaining millions stashed would give him a new life and the people he didn't Snitch on, also owe him.

mompha got a tip, he quickly ran to nigeria. He knows he'll be protected here. however, unlucky was the fate of invictus.

yes we happy seeing this trying to reap from other people's sweat f u c k you too

1 Like

Re: Obinwanne Okeke (Invictus Obi) Sentenced To 10 Years In Prison by staga: 9:29am On Feb 17, 2021
He got a light sentence.

WorldCom CEO was given 30 years for embezzling his own company funds.
Re: Obinwanne Okeke (Invictus Obi) Sentenced To 10 Years In Prison by rafosky1: 9:30am On Feb 17, 2021
einsteine:

30 years how?

The maximum charge for this is 20 years. He got lesser sentencing because people wrote to attest to his good deeds, charity and to show that he has low risk of recidivism. He also pleaded guilty and he is a first time offender. Also, there is only one charge. All these things help. Plus he doesn't appear to have the typical profile of the average criminal.

Hushpuppi would be different. His has more charges and he is wasting the time of the prosecution by hiring expensive lawyers and not pleading guilty in time.

He got off lightly not because of any hopeless attestation but because he cooperated and snicthed on other members of his crew. So many Nigerian scammers in the US were busted with his assistance.

1 Like

Re: Obinwanne Okeke (Invictus Obi) Sentenced To 10 Years In Prison by FuckThaMod: 9:31am On Feb 17, 2021
Heterodox:
Dat okoro go do hm time.
Pained brokes ass yorubas all over this thread
Re: Obinwanne Okeke (Invictus Obi) Sentenced To 10 Years In Prison by walkingshadow911: 9:32am On Feb 17, 2021
iLegendd:
These fraudsters should be given death penalties. I pray I become a president one day. Una go hear ween.

like china, japan,saudi,etc. you hardly find cyber criminals in those countries. we more smarter than him but we choose not to do the crime.
10 yrs for stealing so much money, it can only encourage more people to do the crime.
shit happens anyway
Re: Obinwanne Okeke (Invictus Obi) Sentenced To 10 Years In Prison by Ishilove: 9:32am On Feb 17, 2021
einsteine:

Better than 20 or 30 years for him. He can still see his daughter grow into a teenager. She is still under 2 years old
Were his assets seized?
Re: Obinwanne Okeke (Invictus Obi) Sentenced To 10 Years In Prison by uvie66: 9:34am On Feb 17, 2021
masterP042:
Obinwanne is a wise guy, although making money illegally, he fronted a legit and clean company. Was able to launder his image too, to be able to get to Forbes and even give lectures to havard students. To him yahoo was just a way to create capital and funds to pursue and acheive his multi billion dreams which a devilish country like Nigeria have already dashed. He was also wise enough to coperate with the feds to aid investigations, and that fast tracked his trials and sentencing.
As for hushpuppy, he's gone and gone forever, upon all his money, no visible investment in Nigeria or anywhere to front his money. Obinwanne targeted multi billion caterpillar company, but hushpuppy decided to divert ventilator funds at the beginning of a pandemic. And having known he's been caught, instead of pleading guilty and cooperating he was busy hiring expensive lawyers and claiming not guilty. Fbi will transfer his case to a judge whose spouse, child or close family was killed by covid 19, his trial will still be extended for him to spend his remaining money on lawyers, he'll be finally sentenced, and trust me, upon his release he'll be injected with moronic injection. Americans will make him a dimwit if he's ever released.
how can one be smart if they are unable to wisely cover their track after a crime commission... rather live a lot of paper trail.
Re: Obinwanne Okeke (Invictus Obi) Sentenced To 10 Years In Prison by Ishilove: 9:34am On Feb 17, 2021
einsteine:

30 years how?

And he made a plea bargain. Expose members of the syndicate in exchange for a lesser sentence.
Re: Obinwanne Okeke (Invictus Obi) Sentenced To 10 Years In Prison by BluntTheApostle(m): 9:34am On Feb 17, 2021
cchub:
2.Fucck y'all

Damn niggar.

First of all, crimes are punished based on different factors that can make or mar a criminal case. That is why a person may get a light sentence for the same crime that another person would get a heavy sentence. How your lawyer fights your case, and how you plead, can make or mar your case.

Second, your attempt at using racism is nothing but emotional and ignorant. Like I wrote above, even same cases don't always have same punishments. Some white men have ended up with light sentences. But it doesn't mean that there were no white men who got heavy sentences for Ponzi scheme scams.

Lou Pearlman was the founder of Backstreet Boys. He had a harsher sentence than Invictus.

So, there are white people who have had harsher sentences for fraud.

Invictus committed a crime. He pleaded guilty. You people should stop sympathizing with a thief.

Do you know the hardship he has caused many of his victims? Maybe some of his victims have even died.

Nigerians want Nigeria to be a better place. But the way some of you brazenly support criminals shows that the country is not totally ready to join the rest of the world in progressing.

1 Like

Re: Obinwanne Okeke (Invictus Obi) Sentenced To 10 Years In Prison by SURElee(f): 9:36am On Feb 17, 2021
gulfer:
They should allow him come to kirikiri tow serve the sentence angry angry angry

So he will use his money to bribe his way out of kirikiri abi? Let him serve him punishment there Biko.
Re: Obinwanne Okeke (Invictus Obi) Sentenced To 10 Years In Prison by uvie66: 9:38am On Feb 17, 2021
johnfem321:
Things are not always as bad as they seems, that is what some people don't understand.. I thank God for him he got just 10years.. I am sure he returned alot of money back and co-operated with them.. and he is not a show off person... He should be out in about 2 years.. He will only need to serve about 5 to 6 years out of the 10years.. He already served about 2 years, They will also most likely deport him him and give him another 9month off his sentence.. So he should be out in 2.5 years max... Some people might not be that lucky.. Whatever it is.. he will still be a millionaire in Dollars when he comes out.. Even if he goes back to fraud or he doesn't.. He will still be a millionaire.. He has got the brain... Las las he will be alright.. Make everyone focus on his own life.. Crime still bad sha
Nonsense talk...he will not be allowed to live off the proceeds of crime.

1 Like

Re: Obinwanne Okeke (Invictus Obi) Sentenced To 10 Years In Prison by einsteine(m): 9:39am On Feb 17, 2021
rafosky1:

He got off lightly not because of any hopeless attestation but because he cooperated and snicthed on other members of his crew. So many Nigerian scammers in the US were busted with his assistance.

Oga, go and read more of these cases. Character attestations are a must to get a light sentence for first time criminals. As for snitching, there is no record that he did that. People are erroneously attributing the indictment of 80 Nigerians after Invictus was arrested to snitching forgetting that FBI indictments don't work so fast. Those were based on seperate investigations that came up after Operation Wire Wire and Operation Rewired. You can Google this FBI and Secret Service investigations yourself. There is no way the FBI is going to a grand jury to get indictments less than one month after somebody provides information.

TL/Dr: There is no evidence that he snitched. A sentence like this is actually normal. Very rarely do people get full sentences. Especially since this fraud didn't last years (like Madoff for instance) nor did he plead guilty.

If he snitched, he would have been put in federal witness protection and would be a witness in this other cases. He won't be going to a normal federal prison.
Re: Obinwanne Okeke (Invictus Obi) Sentenced To 10 Years In Prison by tchidi066(f): 9:40am On Feb 17, 2021
musajo1:
The igbo people are notorious for fraudulent activities.Idiots!
Oga shut the hell up, if you've got nothing to say... Oponu
Re: Obinwanne Okeke (Invictus Obi) Sentenced To 10 Years In Prison by RlCHSATAN: 9:40am On Feb 17, 2021
InfernoNig:
After serving 10 years jail term, likely deportation.
and if them deport am to naija, he go face another one here o
Re: Obinwanne Okeke (Invictus Obi) Sentenced To 10 Years In Prison by einsteine(m): 9:40am On Feb 17, 2021
Ishilove:

Were his assets seized?

Assets in Nigeria have been siezed. Disgorgement of criminal gains is usually necessary to get lighter sentences than the maximum so I am sure he will return a fair amount of his loot.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Kidnapper E-Money: FG To Claim Properties Owned By Collins Ezenwa Dead Kidnapper / Boy Whose Hand Was Cut Off For Stealing Phone In Delta Caught Stealing Again / Man Kills His Wife And Daughter In Anambra (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.