Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,230 members, 7,818,775 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:35 AM

What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? (15780 Views)

What Are The Career Options For A Lawyer Migrating From Nigeria To Canada? / Lady Becomes A Lawyer Years After She Dressed As One For Her School's Career Day / Caesar Chukwuma Nigerian Lawyer In USA Melting Hearts Of Ladies. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? by ogbonti: 1:51pm On Feb 19, 2021
Prussian:
The richest professionals are lawyers.
The poorest professionals are lawyers.

Don't let poor people advice you on your future, look for those who have made a killing a and excelled in the field of law to request for their mentorship.

Elon Musk
Bill Gates
Jeff Bezos
Mark Zuckerberg

even greedy small dangote are not lawyers
if you want to be rich, engage in buying and selling or develop something people want to buy that they can’t do without- pray for God’s grace and you will be fine. Before you read law finish- all what you learnt in school will be obsolete and that small boy in your area who was in JS 3 when you gained admission would employ you to be writing drafts for his business and turn you to his PA while you answer him yes sir yes sir when he coughs. Boy with the way the world is moving fast? law is a no go area except you have a family name in the profession with strong support

lawyers are a dime a dozen world wide not only in Nigeria but it’s all in your head, whatever floats your boat, DO !!!
Re: What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? by sophy17(m): 1:54pm On Feb 19, 2021
MoneyMusthear:
Hello Nairalanders,

I've been here for a while now and having evaluated certain things on the forum I think I'll get the sincerest of answers to my question.

I intend to study law; I'm good with my English, have a formidable sense of logical and critical reasoning and naturally charismatic. These should be the basic requirements for intending lawyers( at least, according to the naive me).

Academically, I will humbly say I know my worth: with the beyond-basic knowledge of Government, a fair knowledge of the mechanics of politics and the ability read without wearing out, I suppose a lawyer is in the oven, soon to be baked.

However, my very close confidant advised me to drop the dream and seek something viable. My mother who have not had much to do with lawyers and who believe them to be just hungry folks scavenging for cases from one police station to another doesn't think it's a good shot.

Now, I plead we leave sentiments aside. Be critical with your reply and please, let your comments not be made out of prejudice.

What are my chances of making it as a lawyer in today's Nigeria?

PS: You might have better options for me, like migrating to a computer-related course or learn a soft skill. I've gotten much of that . Just kindly answer the question.

Thanks in anticipation.

Many people will learn too.

Your chances of making it as a lawyer in today's Nigeria depends on a number of factors such as how smart are you, how good are you at your work, and how well connected to the right Clients. You also need to be bold.
Some lawyers have also made money by simply making noise all over the place to become popular and thereafter use their popularity to get clients.
By the way, I am a lawyer. I am making money from law practice and businesses.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? by ugbanante: 2:00pm On Feb 19, 2021
As long as u plan to spend much of ur earning life here in Nigeria, don't trouble urself so much about the choice of course to study. Rather, learn to hustle Smart and ur course in school will only be an added advantage. Whatever u study outside of hustle first, u will learn the facts of the matter regrettably.

Good luck!
Re: What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? by BluntTheApostle(m): 2:11pm On Feb 19, 2021
MoneyMusthear:
Hello Nairalanders,

I've been here for a while now and having evaluated certain things on the forum I think I'll get the sincerest of answers to my question.

I intend to study law; I'm good with my English, have a formidable sense of logical and critical reasoning and naturally charismatic. These should be the basic requirements for intending lawyers( at least, according to the naive me).

Academically, I will humbly say I know my worth: with the beyond-basic knowledge of Government, a fair knowledge of the mechanics of politics and the ability read without wearing out, I suppose a lawyer is in the oven, soon to be baked.

However, my very close confidant advised me to drop the dream and seek something viable. My mother who have not had much to do with lawyers and who believe them to be just hungry folks scavenging for cases from one police station to another doesn't think it's a good shot.

Now, I plead we leave sentiments aside. Be critical with your reply and please, let your comments not be made out of prejudice.

PS: You might have better options for me, like migrating to a computer-related course or learn a soft skill. I've gotten much of that . Just kindly answer the question.

Thanks in anticipation.

Your English is very sound.

Which should stand you out. Because the nonsense English that many lawyers speak and write can make you ask that Law be banned in Nigerian universities.

Second, as with every field in Nigeria, success is dependent on "man know man". Many of the lawyers at the top have always either been friends or worked in the Chambers of top lawyers. Look at the late Abba Kyari. He had served in the Chambers of FFK's father. You can see the connection. Imagine Falz deciding to pursue a career in Law, his SAN father would be there to lift him up. So, you should know someone or find a way to work with a top lawyer in Nigeria.

Third, a good lawyer will always get job, either in court or outside of court. Many lawyers have dabbled into properties, especially. In fact, many of the lawyers that I know personally are into properties. It is either they are managing a property on behalf of someone or they are buying and selling the properties on behalf of someone. I got my present accommodation through a lawyer whose bad English can wake the Dead.

In summary, you can be a successful lawyer. First, your English is sound. And if indeed you possess the other skills you mentioned (but which we can't verify), then you are good to go.

Get admitted. Strike connections before you graduate. That is, make friends with people who can benefit you with regards to law. For example, make friends with sons of established lawyers. If you don't meet them in the university, you should surely meet them in Law School.

In life, nothing beats connection. You need connection to increase your chances of succeeding in life.

4 Likes

Re: What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? by omoalaafin: 2:19pm On Feb 19, 2021
Yes, you can be a successful lawyer. But it doesn't come easy. You need to work hard and also seek the grace of God. Do not cut corners. You may also consider corporate law practice or focus on specific areas where you don't have so much lawyers like Sports, Entertainment, Intellectual Property, etc.

But you must be hard working to be successful.
Re: What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? by TOPCRUISE(m): 2:21pm On Feb 19, 2021
I hope you are a good liar cool
Re: What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? by Originalsly: 2:27pm On Feb 19, 2021
Osinbajo is a lawyer .... look where he is now? .. and there are others who have been very successful and moved on to more lucrative positions. But look again.... they were climbing to these heights in an era when being a lawyer period was a noble profession.... when a young lawyer would begin at middle class and as his clients grow... quickly climb to upper class. That was then.... they established themselves in a different Nigeria.... the land was fertile for lawyers. Is it the same now?.... or will it be in the foreseeable future?... we are discussing wanting to be a lawyer in Nigeria. Chew on what your mother said ... that's today's reality.

On soft skills..... I'm not knowledgeable enough to even have a discussion let alone advise. But what I know... is the competition would be worldwide.... you need to be veryyyy good at what you do to be a big boy.
.To anyone that wants to make a name for himself in Nigeria... I would advise to go abroad and be certified as an auto mechanic or electronic technician. These are two skills in great demand and very lacking in Nigeria...the reason we see soooo many luxury vehicles permanently parked..... the reason why many elevators are out of order. There is money to be made.... plenty of it... but you have to really consider what career path .... look well down the road ahead... the future.

3 Likes

Re: What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? by oluspicy: 2:40pm On Feb 19, 2021
MoneyMusthear:
Hello Nairalanders,

Thanks in anticipation.

Oga you want to study law in a lawless country.
Re: What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? by Poorboy: 2:42pm On Feb 19, 2021
RlCHSATAN:
law in naija is useless. na just show off. my family is made of of 90% lawyers.
infact my family has produced 2 chief judges of my state. but all of them na wash. i hole pass all of them
Show me way na, may i pm you?
Re: What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:45pm On Feb 19, 2021
Just be a good liar.
Re: What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? by Reference(m): 2:51pm On Feb 19, 2021
Well, crime is expanding exponentially so the fundamentals of your professional viability remains strong. Just imagine in the last 24 months a new class has been added - banditry, so expect new 'bandido portfolios' to be making waves soon.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? by topoftheworld(m): 3:04pm On Feb 19, 2021
chatinent:
You must learn to lie for a living or you'll be termed ‘charge and bail’ after upto seven years of wearing suits and ancient wigs in the sun.

You must learn to say white is black and prove the chemistry.

You must learn to say a murder case was actually an accident, that the deceased hit the bullet, not otherwise.

You must have about six lines on your head, from forehead backwards.

You must learn to confuse the judge and be a judge in your own case, even if the law forbids it.

You must call a tort a crime, an a tortfessor a criminal.

You must see an invitation to threat case as an avenue to adjourn a case for five years.

Bribery will be your porridge yam.

You must learn to collide with the judge to shift the case to Maiduguri from Port Harcourt so that the Plantiff or Accused will tire out and the case won.

You must learn to wear one socks for twelve years. Oh, my oh.

You must be a politician's puppet to grow or you will end up a lecturer.

You must be a womanizer.

Read again.

I remove cap for u sir...

This one mad oooo but las las na true sha
Re: What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? by pocohantas(f): 3:22pm On Feb 19, 2021
frog12:
you give lawyers too much credit !

learned professionals you say? And they no fit stop corona!

What are you on about? Is the it the work of lawyers to fight diseases? Mtcheew.

OP don’t mind all these negative comments. There is no course Nairalanders do not trash talk. I come dey wonder which one they studied. Nigeria doesn’t allow lawyers and anyone at all to thrive. I know two lawyers and their law degrees were a background for them to be where they are now. But, they both left this shithole. The problem seems to be Nigeria, not your Law degree.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? by Sarcastic101: 3:30pm On Feb 19, 2021
Go and write jamb first
Re: What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? by Prussian: 3:35pm On Feb 19, 2021
generationz:

Lol, richest professionals are lawyers? Compare the ration of multi millionaires sports has created to that of lawyers.

For every millionaire in sports, there are 10 thousand living in penury. You think everyone in sports makes it? I laugh.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? by WoundedLamb: 4:06pm On Feb 19, 2021
You're thinking of Law just cause you seem to be good in English language and a few other required subjects? And you're considering moving to a computer related course (applied Mathematics) if that's where you'd make it? I'd like to sound nice but you asked for undiluted sincerity. You don't sound like someone who has a dream. Nothing in your write suggests you have passion for Law and definitely not for Computing. And I've come to realize that those who make it are usually not the academically superior ones but those who are very passionate about what they do. Regardless of what you end up studying, you'd still have guarantee. The only thing that keeps you moving is your passion.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? by generationz(f): 4:13pm On Feb 19, 2021
Prussian:

For every millionaire in sports, there are 10 thousand living in penury. You think everyone in sports makes it? I laugh.

For every millionaire lawyer, there are a million living in penury and another million who switched and are probably fish farmers or something. It's easier to know you are not a good sportsman and from an early age and switch than to know the system all around the world does not favour most lawyers after spending years in law school and wasting money.

Richest professionals my ass. grin
Re: What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? by chatinent: 4:39pm On Feb 19, 2021
delerx:
You must be a lawyer to know all these

Funnily enough, I'm not.
Re: What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? by Xpol: 6:08pm On Feb 19, 2021
Never be discouraged with others failure
Re: What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? by quadriolakunle(m): 6:41pm On Feb 19, 2021
Brother,
if you are thinking about Law, then you can definetely get t the top of your career.

Especially look at Corporate law, you can carve a niche for yourself there.

i think what you need to do first is to develop enough passion, to drive you enough to get the best outta Law in school, Honestly irrespective of the fact that we are Nigeria and you need connection to rise, the biggest law firms ( Talk of Aluko Oyeabode, Olaniwun Ajayi LP) those guys are the smartest lawyers in Lagos and Nigeria, and they only take the best of the best graduates from the best Nieria Universities and abroad. and i have seen how they close deals of billion for the biggest boys in the economy, while making billions for themselves too.
Get a first Class Law degree, Try to come out top of your class, Join/lead a law association while in school, Ace Law school and try to bag an Award.
While you are doing that and prayin as well, The big shots are looking for stars, and they will find you.

Most of those Charge and Bail Lawyers, actually dont know law, they wasted in school and are now blaming the economy.

Develop a Winning mentality, I did some work with some of the best shots in the legal industry lately, and i was like, i could be a lawyer too and be as good as this people. While in school, let that mentality be your guide, apply for internships with the big shot law firms in lagos while in school, understand the VI way, and prepare a plan for yourself to get in there. The truth is that, if you dont get in the high class corporate world early enough you may not get in again,

Corporate Law, Real estate Law, Tax Law...Mergers and Acquisitions, any law that has to do with Finance and economy, you will make Money there and also be a star. All those Murder and Domestic case laws...abeg leave am.

BTW, go and watch Suits, you may find love in Law.

2 Likes

Re: What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? by charlesucheh(m): 6:49pm On Feb 19, 2021
you can sell affidavit under bridge in IKEJA.
suggesting o!!!

1 Like

Re: What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? by Odidigboigbo(m): 6:54pm On Feb 19, 2021
ogbonti:

go join Ogboni, osokpikan, asigidi and other cults or else when you talk anyhow for court, underworld men ready to fvck u up at night time
lol, You should be a Beni man
Re: What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? by sophy17(m): 7:00pm On Feb 19, 2021
MoneyMusthear:
Hello Nairalanders,

Thanks in anticipation.

Your chances of making it as a lawyer in today's Nigeria depends on a number of factors such as how smart you are, how good are you at your work, and how well connected to the right Clients. You also need to be bold.
Some lawyers have also made by simply making noise all over the place to become popular and thereafter use their popularity to get clients.
By the way, I am a lawyer. I am making money from law practice and businesses.

1 Like

Re: What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? by Etinosa1234: 7:04pm On Feb 19, 2021
RlCHSATAN:
infact my family has produced 2 chief judges of my state. but all of them na wash. i hole pass all of them

what are the judges names?
Re: What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? by Pickieox(m): 7:16pm On Feb 19, 2021
chatinent:
You must learn to lie for a living or you'll be termed ‘charge and bail’ after upto seven years of wearing suits and ancient wigs in the sun.

You must learn to say white is black and prove the chemistry.

You must learn to say a murder case was actually an accident, that the deceased hit the bullet, not otherwise.

You must have about six lines on your head, from forehead backwards.

You must learn to confuse the judge and be a judge in your own case, even if the law forbids it.

You must call a tort a crime, an a tortfessor a criminal.

You must see an invitation to threat case as an avenue to adjourn a case for five years.

Bribery will be your porridge yam.

You must learn to connive with the judge to shift the case to Maiduguri from Port Harcourt so that the Plantiff or Accused will tire out and the case won.

You must learn to wear one socks for twelve years. Oh, my oh.

You must be a politician's puppet to grow or you will end up a lecturer.

You must be a womanizer.

Read again.

I fear you ooo, you don sabi the profession die grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? by PervertProphet: 8:30pm On Feb 19, 2021
dimugonabo:
Just learn how to register companies in CAC.

And you're good to go.

That's what most lawyers do now.

grin
Savage
Re: What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? by Hassanmaye(m): 9:02pm On Feb 19, 2021
RlCHSATAN:
How much is the salary of a chief judge
Re: What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? by Hassanmaye(m): 9:38pm On Feb 19, 2021
Prussian:

Are you serious please I was considering football do we really have poor people in sports? How is that possible
Re: What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? by Hassanmaye(m): 9:40pm On Feb 19, 2021
generationz:

For every millionaire lawyer, there are a million living in penury and another million who switched and are probably fish farmers or something. It's easier to know you are not a good sport and from an early age and switch than to know the system all around the world does not favour lawyers after spending years in law school and wasting money.

Richest professionals my ass
You mean with all the highhandedness and impunity some even after finishing law school still husle? . grin
Re: What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? by dwilliams: 9:41pm On Feb 19, 2021
[quote author=ogbonti post=99222424]

go join Ogboni, osokpikan, asigidi and other cults or else when you talk anyhow for court, underworld men ready to fvck u up at night time [/quot

Ogbo atto(3)
Re: What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? by generationz(f): 9:58pm On Feb 19, 2021
[quote author=Hassanmaye post=99235556][/quote]

Of course. Even those with good jobs in chambers still have outside hustle. Some become lecturers and have their own chambers. Those are the successful ones.

As a lawyer, you have to make a way for yourself. You will build your connections yourself. You have to be sharp and dogged. Law is not like other courses especially salary-wise and not many chambers pay well so you have to be sharp and grab every opportunity you see even if it has to do with selling land, houses etc.

To be honest, if you have the opportunity, just study another course or if the opportunity to make money comes, make the money then enrol to study law while you are comfortable. It's sweeter then to get the certificate when you already have the money just for bragging rights like Kanayo.

Note: You can see most lawyers here avoided this thread. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? by Coinbased: 9:58pm On Feb 19, 2021
You now make it by luck in any profession in nigeria be it medicine engineering or law nigeria is the worst country on earth

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World / Inflation: Why Are Salary Earners The Hardest Hit? / Enugu Workers Receive 13th Month Salary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.