Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,063 members, 7,825,368 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 12:40 PM

What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? (15815 Views)

What Are The Career Options For A Lawyer Migrating From Nigeria To Canada? / Lady Becomes A Lawyer Years After She Dressed As One For Her School's Career Day / Caesar Chukwuma Nigerian Lawyer In USA Melting Hearts Of Ladies. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? by generationz(f): 10:05pm On Feb 19, 2021
quadriolakunle:
Brother,
if you are thinking about Law, then you can definetely get t the top of your career.

Especially look at Corporate law, you can carve a niche for yourself there.

i think what you need to do first is to develop enough passion, to drive you enough to get the best outta Law in school, Honestly irrespective of the fact that we are Nigeria and you need connection to rise, the biggest law firms ( Talk of Aluko Oyeabode, Olaniwun Ajayi LP) those guys are the smartest lawyers in Lagos and Nigeria, and they only take the best of the best graduates from the best Nieria Universities and abroad. and i have seen how they close deals of billion for the biggest boys in the economy, while making billions for themselves too.
Get a first Class Law degree, Try to come out top of your class, Join/lead a law association while in school, Ace Law school and try to bag an Award.
While you are doing that and prayin as well, The big shots are looking for stars, and they will find you.

Most of those Charge and Bail Lawyers, actually dont know law, they wasted in school and are now blaming the economy.

Develop a Winning mentality, I did some work with some of the best shots in the legal industry lately, and i was like, i could be a lawyer too and be as good as this people. While in school, let that mentality be your guide, apply for internships with the big shot law firms in lagos while in school, understand the VI way, and prepare a plan for yourself to get in there. The truth is that, if you dont get in the high class corporate world early enough you may not get in again,

Corporate Law, Real estate Law, Tax Law...Mergers and Acquisitions, any law that has to do with Finance and economy, you will make Money there and also be a star. All those Murder and Domestic case laws...abeg leave am.

BTW, go and watch Suits, you may find love in Law.

I was enjoying what you were writing until i saw the last paragraph then i realized you were in Lala land. sad

Seems like you are also a law student?
Re: What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? by folake4u(f): 10:16pm On Feb 19, 2021
pocohantas:

What are you on about? Is the it the work of lawyers to fight diseases? Mtcheew.

OP don’t mind all these negative comments. There is no course Nairalanders do not trash talk. I come dey wonder which one they studied. Nigeria doesn’t allow lawyers and anyone at all to thrive. I know two lawyers and their law degrees were a background for them to be where they are now. But, they both left this shithole. The problem seems to be Nigeria, not your Law degree.

Gbammmmm. Thank you Nne for this comment. That one been dey yarn dust!
Re: What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? by folake4u(f): 10:18pm On Feb 19, 2021
generationz:

I was enjoying what you were writing until i saw the last paragraph then i realized you were in Lala land. sad

grin grin grin
Re: What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? by ogbonti: 10:19pm On Feb 19, 2021
Odidigboigbo:
lol, You should be a Beni man

nope, I attended school in Benin! grin
Re: What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? by calcal: 12:40am On Feb 20, 2021
Can someone tell me the difference between this lawyer and Fulani herdsmen?
Re: What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? by Prussian: 4:52am On Feb 20, 2021
Hassanmaye:

Are you serious please I was considering football do we really have poor people in sports? How is that possible

Go to National stadium on Saturdays.
Go to major neighbourhood pitches and see for yourself.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? by Odidigboigbo(m): 6:35am On Feb 20, 2021
ogbonti:

nope, I attended school in Benin! grin
Ok, those are well known occults in Beni.

1 Like

Re: What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? by ogbonti: 1:21pm On Feb 20, 2021
Odidigboigbo:
Ok, those are well known occults in Beni.

very true, the main gist is that any lawyer who is kiran member of secret societies like AMORC or the Grand Lodge, he is only wasting his time in Nigeria

He won’t win top cases, He won’t have top clients and his life will perpetually be in danger. If he is very brilliant, he will just be able to build one bungalow and buy car for himself and his wife and wear nice clothes- that’s it. That is if he is VERY VERY BRILLIANT- If he is averagely brilliant, just forget it, na under mango tree opposite police station him go end up
Re: What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? by quadriolakunle(m): 3:10pm On Feb 20, 2021
generationz:

Okay, Lala Land or no Lala Land, I have spoken all truth.

I knew big time lawyers before even stumbling on Suits, anyways, Let he that requested make do with the counsel as he seem fit.
Re: What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? by DedeNkem: 5:52am On Feb 21, 2021
MoneyMusthear:
Hello Nairalanders,

I've been here for a while now and having evaluated certain things on the forum I think I'll get the sincerest of answers to my question.

I intend to study law; I'm good with my English, have a formidable sense of logical and critical reasoning and naturally charismatic. These should be the basic requirements for intending lawyers( at least, according to the naive me).

Academically, I will humbly say I know my worth: with the beyond-basic knowledge of Government, a fair knowledge of the mechanics of politics and the ability read without wearing out, I suppose a lawyer is in the oven, soon to be baked.

However, my very close confidant advised me to drop the dream and seek something viable. My mother who have not had much to do with lawyers and who believe them to be just hungry folks scavenging for cases from one police station to another doesn't think it's a good shot.

Now, I plead we leave sentiments aside. Be critical with your reply and please, let your comments not be made out of prejudice.

What are my chances of making it as a lawyer in today's Nigeria?

PS: You might have better options for me, like migrating to a computer-related course or learn a soft skill. I've gotten much of that . Just kindly answer the question.

Thanks in anticipation.

Many people will learn too.

Law is good but it's a flooded profession. There are many hungry-looking lawyers in Nigeria who wear worn out lawyer attires, walking around Court premises probably seeking cases!

There are many poor lawyers in Nigeria. The rich ones made it because of their "connections" at high places.

Here in Europe, lawyers live above middle class! I once met a Nigerian lawyer who lives like an Arabian prince. His home is furnished with high end stuffs. The least thing you can touch in his sitting room doesn't worth less than 2k euros! He's on money.

When a good profession is flooded in a country, it becomes tougher to succeed in it.

My advice: Do Computer Science, it's the best field for now and the future! There's no company in the world that wouldn't wanna hire you. And you can easily create your own company!

Most of world richest people or companies are into computer related businesses. E.g. Microsoft, Facebook, Apple, Samsung, Twitter, Amazon, Netflix, HP Inc., etc.

Every professional field supposed to be mportant but that's not the case in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? by gforce5: 1:23pm On Feb 25, 2021
As a practicing lawyer of 5 years, I can tell you that the legal profession is the most unequal profession in this country. On one hand, you have extremely rich lawyers such as Afe Babalola, Babalakin, Paul Usoro and other very senior lawyers. On the other hand, you have so many lawyers earning below the national minimum wage. Nevertheless, law is not restricted to litigation. You can work in the private sector (Oil companies, banks, telecoms etc), you can work in the public sector (Ministry of Justice, other government parasitals) and even international organizations (UN, ICC, IBA etc). You can even go into politics (Vice President, Senate President, many senators, two Ministers and 3 Governors are lawyers). It all comes down to what you want to do but for the love of God, run away from litigation. There's no money there. If you are not working in a top 10 law firm, forget it. You can carve out your own niche in practice and make progress (power law, i.t. law, entertainment law etc). I have given you a list of options to choose from. Choose wisely and ignore what others are saying on this forum.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? by RlCHSATAN: 4:37pm On Mar 14, 2021
Hassanmaye:

How much is the salary of a chief judge
i know it is not up to 700k a month. . a state chief judge received lesser pay than a federal judge.

1 Like

Re: What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? by RlCHSATAN: 4:38pm On Mar 14, 2021
Etinosa1234:

what are the judges names?
like seriously, u expect me to disclose my actual identity here? tongue
Re: What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? by tamudabu: 4:46pm On Nov 27, 2022

1 Like

Re: What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? by Suunnn(f): 9:17am On Nov 28, 2022
Hello Nairalanders,

I've been here for a while now and having evaluated certain things on the forum I think I'll get the sincerest of answers to my question.

I intend to study law; I'm good with my English, have a formidable sense of logical and critical reasoning and naturally charismatic. These should be the basic requirements for intending lawyers( at least, according to the naive me).

Academically, I will humbly say I know my worth: with the beyond-basic knowledge of Government, a fair knowledge of the mechanics of politics and the ability read without wearing out, I suppose a lawyer is in the oven, soon to be baked.

However, my very close confidant advised me to drop the dream and seek something viable. My mother who have not had much to do with lawyers and who believe them to be just hungry folks scavenging for cases from one police station to another doesn't think it's a good shot.

Now, I plead we leave sentiments aside. Be critical with your reply and please, let your comments not be made out of prejudice.

What are my chances of making it as a lawyer in today's Nigeria?

PS: You might have better options for me, like migrating to a computer-related course or learn a soft skill. I've gotten much of that . Just kindly answer the question.

Thanks in anticipation.

Many people will learn too.

Hard Work, Enthusiasm,, Focus,,, Attention And Devotion though but Grace

Contact me for your academic assignment, articles,, research works,,, thesis. WhatsApp Me..
Re: What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? by ojialo(m): 9:10pm On Jul 16, 2023
[quote author=dwilliams post=99235578][/quote]
Which one is Osokpikan again?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Addax Workers Lock Out CEO, Colin Klapa, Begin Strike / Guys, I Am Worried. Leaving Family Behind-transferred To Lagos / What Does It Mean If Your Employer Is Advertising For Your Position

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.