Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,134 members, 7,818,420 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:58 PM

Sim Swap/Retrieval Problems: Share Your Experiences Nairalanders - Phones (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Sim Swap/Retrieval Problems: Share Your Experiences Nairalanders (19141 Views)

FG Wants Telcos To Establish SIM Swap Centres In All 774 Lgas / FG Orders Cancellation Of ₦20 National Identification Number Retrieval Charge / Airtel Sim Swap Charges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sim Swap/Retrieval Problems: Share Your Experiences Nairalanders by maxist2020(m): 9:57pm On Feb 19, 2021
SimplyFacts:
Na to dey pray mak person no get issues at those customer care offices/outlets o.

I saw hell when I went there to upgrade my MTN sim to 4G. They told me the sim is 4G already as shown on their system but the coverage is always 3G & I kept receiving messages to upgrade to 4G. I inserted other sim cards (my other MTN, Glo & Airtel sims) & they confirmed it that only that single sim (which is my hot line) doesn't cover 4G. They got confused & still stood on their claim.

I'm thinking of doing retrieval, maybe that would solve the problem but I do not have such a luxurious time to waste at the moment.
what you will is that once the ban by NCC is lifted go and do welcome back on the SIM card and it will automatically upgrade to 4G

1 Like

Re: Sim Swap/Retrieval Problems: Share Your Experiences Nairalanders by gbemishile: 10:12pm On Feb 19, 2021
chibjohn:

This same ikorodu I have been going to for that last two weeks but hasn't been successful.
there is a centre beside ecobank.
I paid 1k for the sim replacey.
Re: Sim Swap/Retrieval Problems: Share Your Experiences Nairalanders by kraftysprouts: 10:12pm On Feb 19, 2021
wagazala:
NCC has put a hold on sim activation for all Telcos. This means you probably wont be able to get your new sim to work. The guys upstairs (NCC) havent got a clue of the implication of their policy. Our prayer now is that the sim card and phone belonging to someone close to the NCC's bosses get stolen or lost so that they can lift the ban.

You know the law doesn't apply to them and they can bypass it?
Re: Sim Swap/Retrieval Problems: Share Your Experiences Nairalanders by Jonah507(m): 10:13pm On Feb 19, 2021
What's the essence of this?
If it's to curb crime ,then why are they forgiving the terrorist and bandits that are into crime ?

2 Likes

Re: Sim Swap/Retrieval Problems: Share Your Experiences Nairalanders by Nobody: 10:19pm On Feb 19, 2021
Re: Sim Swap/Retrieval Problems: Share Your Experiences Nairalanders by Nobody: 10:22pm On Feb 19, 2021
Jonah507:
What's the essence of this?
If it's to curb crime ,then why are they forgiving the terrorist and bandits that are into crime ?

The fg under Buhari cannot claim ignorance of the identity of Fulani herdsmen because those terrorists kidnappers use cellphones to communicate before they attack or is it because they are tools for political assassins for northern politicians?
Re: Sim Swap/Retrieval Problems: Share Your Experiences Nairalanders by Basher8583: 10:26pm On Feb 19, 2021
englishmart:
I went to a glo office somewhere in Abuja, I told them I lost my phone and needed a sim retrieval. He told me about NCC directives and all that. I waited until nobody was in sight, I squeezed into his hand $100 2 notes. when he saw it he was befuddled. What? He exclaimed, bring your sim pack. You have your most called 5 numbers and national ID card?
I handed Everything to him and disappeared like a king. Moral of the story. With money, everything works.

lies. pure lies

1 Like

Re: Sim Swap/Retrieval Problems: Share Your Experiences Nairalanders by londonzona: 11:00pm On Feb 19, 2021
It has been a hellish and painful situation, when. The incompetent is giving a position more heavy than his qoutient.He might mess up the job while feeling fly for the stress and suffering s rendered to the citizens.NCC is trash now, so you can regulate a sector without causing mayhem.Its been like 2 days ,I have not registered my SIM
Re: Sim Swap/Retrieval Problems: Share Your Experiences Nairalanders by KrazyDave16(m): 12:03am On Feb 20, 2021
Mcslize:

Have you experienced where they pointed gun at you to bring out your newly bought phone of 74k with two of your Sims in it? You want to drag with them?

This one is not the phone falling off your pocket or someone stealing it from your pocket in a bus. They collect it from you with gun in a broad day light. That was my case on the 30 Dec, 2020.
Same shii November last year with knife.
3 boys with okada around me from nowhere.
Only consolation was they were caught 2 weeks later (how it happened was funny and sad) but still couldn't get my old phone.
Re: Sim Swap/Retrieval Problems: Share Your Experiences Nairalanders by colestephan86: 12:11am On Feb 20, 2021
oladele239:
Good morning fellow nairalanders. My phone got stolen two weeks ago and I have on it my MTN sim together with 9MOBIle.

Retrieving the lines has been an herculean task as i have been going to their centre for several days without any headway.

Please guys what is happening ? My sim is very vital to me especially to run accounts as I only do ussd on two of my accounts.

What's your experience like..................................... Honestly Nigeria is fast becoming something else!!!!!

I'm furious and angered ................ Just to retrieve sim is now like climbing Mount Everest

I'd be glad if this makes front page so relevant authorities can act on our plights

mine too was stolen, I have got another phone before I knew that I couldn't retrieve it
Re: Sim Swap/Retrieval Problems: Share Your Experiences Nairalanders by seyoops4u: 12:13am On Feb 20, 2021
wagazala:
Our prayer now is that the sim card and phone belonging to someone close to the NCC's bosses get stolen or lost so that they can lift the ban.
This is it for me...... grin grin

I have not been able to use register my airtel line and it is over 3 months now.
I cant receive bank notifications, i cant reset password for some important website
Re: Sim Swap/Retrieval Problems: Share Your Experiences Nairalanders by Murtala407: 1:11am On Feb 20, 2021
My own case was quite different, I lost my wallet with a Sim inside, someone picked it & was using it, begged severally to plz return my sim she insisted on not returning it. since to retrieve is not easy now, I had to call the customer care line to help me block the line. I don't know if i did the right thing.
Re: Sim Swap/Retrieval Problems: Share Your Experiences Nairalanders by Future070: 1:46am On Feb 20, 2021
Should incase you visit any of the telecoms outlet with the basic requirements for simswap and you are unable to do it. I guess it's do to the upgrade that is going on. That is Nimc capacity expansion, some of the Telecoms are working on there outlets to serve you better due to the National ID card registration that is ongoing. You can as well drop and alternative number which you will be contacted with if you are unable to do your simswap the day you visited once they are done with the upgrade.
Re: Sim Swap/Retrieval Problems: Share Your Experiences Nairalanders by richybanky(m): 1:54am On Feb 20, 2021
I lost my phone on Feb 7 and went through hell before I could retrieve my mtn sim.. I normally resume with mtn staff and close together waiting for network to come grin

To God be the glory, I got my mtn sim retrieved on Feb 15 and my airtel sim that I retrieved before mtn is still not working telling me to wait for another 2 weeks as they have send my details to NCC waiting for NCC to confirm my registration before it will start working..

The best thing to do is keep ur phone safe as retrieving sims is very very difficult.. To hell with NCC and NIMC

2 Likes

Re: Sim Swap/Retrieval Problems: Share Your Experiences Nairalanders by pacehood(m): 5:46am On Feb 20, 2021
The integration of NIN with the sim registration caused this problem.. The portal is always offline and you can not process registration or sim swap without authentication on the NIN portal.
Re: Sim Swap/Retrieval Problems: Share Your Experiences Nairalanders by Nobody: 7:07am On Feb 20, 2021
pacehood:
The integration of NIN with the sim registration caused this problem.. The portal is always offline and you can not process registration or sim swap without authentication on the NIN portal.

For those of us that have done NIN registration on our line with confirmation from MTN since last year, we should not have problem retrieving our lines. The information should have been captured in MTN database, there should not be any need for a link to NIN database again.

This government (Prof Dambatta and Patanmi ) is a normal Northerners government. Nigerians are tied down. If an upwardly mobile Nigerian is cutoff from social and business communications for 5 days or weeks or months just to recover a line that has been in usage for 15 years or more, then the country is messed up.
Re: Sim Swap/Retrieval Problems: Share Your Experiences Nairalanders by pacehood(m): 7:13am On Feb 20, 2021
babaolofin:

For those of us that have done NIN registration on our line with confirmation from MTN since last year, we should not have problem retrieving our lines. The information should have been captured in MTN database, there should not be any need for a link to NIN database again.

This government (Prof Dambatta and Patanmi ) is a normal Northerners government. Nigerians are tied down. If an upwardly mobile Nigerian is cutoff from social and business communications for 5 days or weeks or months just to recover a line that has been in usage for 15 years or more, then the country is messed up.
How I wish they consider their customers but they don't you'll have to thumbprint on the NIN portal to prove you're the owner of the line again. The painful thing is they're cheap that's why the portal down.
This is shameful
Re: Sim Swap/Retrieval Problems: Share Your Experiences Nairalanders by Razeed: 7:29am On Feb 20, 2021
My husband is also facing exactly the same thing. Sincerely speaking, it's frustrating. Several time he was called to come to the office in the next 30 minutes and he will abandoned what his doing and rushed there upon his arrival, they will say the network is down again for almost 2 months now. May God help us in this country of ours.

oladele239:
Good morning fellow nairalanders. My phone got stolen two weeks ago and I have on it my MTN sim together with 9MOBIle.

Retrieving the lines has been an herculean task as i have been going to their centre for several days without any headway.

Please guys what is happening ? My sim is very vital to me especially to run accounts as I only do ussd on two of my accounts.

What's your experience like..................................... Honestly Nigeria is fast becoming something else!!!!!

I'm furious and angered ................ Just to retrieve sim is now like climbing Mount Everest

I'd be glad if this makes front page so relevant authorities can act on our plights

Re: Sim Swap/Retrieval Problems: Share Your Experiences Nairalanders by jojothaiv(m): 7:45am On Feb 20, 2021
wagazala:
NCC has put a hold on sim activation for all Telcos. This means you probably wont be able to get your new sim to work. The guys upstairs (NCC) havent got a clue of the implication of their policy. Our prayer now is that the sim card and phone belonging to someone close to the NCC's bosses get stolen or lost so that they can lift the ban.
A LOUD AMEN TO THAT..

BUT COME TO THINK OF IT, THEIR OWN SIM SWAP WOULD BE DONE BEHIND THE SCENE AND WILL MAY LIKELY(HIGHLY POSSIBLE) NOT TO HEAR ABOUT IT..
Re: Sim Swap/Retrieval Problems: Share Your Experiences Nairalanders by Nebostic: 10:30am On Feb 20, 2021
oladele239:

Mine is glo making it 2weeks now ,done nin 8k , did affidavit 1200, nothing nothing ,my whole life is tied to that line I am completely cut off ,I am this close to losing it ,every time no network gone to most of the glo world outlets same news ,ban on retrieval. I am tired , na steal dem steal my phone oooo
Re: Sim Swap/Retrieval Problems: Share Your Experiences Nairalanders by Bizbright1(f): 12:55pm On Feb 20, 2021
I lost my phone on January, I have been marking register with Airtel every 2 weeks, claiming they are re registering the it for me, yet is not working, bringing register fail
Re: Sim Swap/Retrieval Problems: Share Your Experiences Nairalanders by somto811(m): 1:10pm On Feb 20, 2021
maureensylvia:

Chaiiii you see for this life ehhh you are blessed
Amen!!
Re: Sim Swap/Retrieval Problems: Share Your Experiences Nairalanders by dives(m): 1:16pm On Feb 20, 2021
enimcnite:
I can so relate
Took me 3 weeks of going in circles to all MTN centers before I finally struck gold at Iju Ishaga branch @ 7:30 pm

Wow. Congratulations enimcnite. Did you have to do any fingerprint capturing, I mean at MTN office after submitting your NIN? I am trying to retrieve an MTN sim for my sister, who is not in Nigeria at the moment. She receives bank alerts, and other notifications on that sim so it is quite important to her. I have all the necessary documents MTN asked of her. MY ID, sworn affidavits for retrieval by proxy from her own end, letter of authorization and a copy of her ID. However, she does not have an NIN yet as she has been unable to register over there because they have been on total lockdown due to the second wave of this covid-19 pandemic. Is there a way one can retrieve such line without the NIN due to the peculiarity of her case? Thanks
Re: Sim Swap/Retrieval Problems: Share Your Experiences Nairalanders by Bankyt90: 1:44pm On Feb 20, 2021
Thats exactly the same issue I've been experiencing with airtel for over a month now its always come back next week
Re: Sim Swap/Retrieval Problems: Share Your Experiences Nairalanders by Credobee(m): 2:01pm On Feb 20, 2021
derbykol:
My mum has been facing same challenge at glo office

The ban on SIM swap/ retrieval was lifted in January.......
But the ban on issuance/ activation of new lines still subsists........
Yet to retrieve my damaged SIM since the 27th of December......
Wasted five solid days at the MTN office still no way........

1 Like

Re: Sim Swap/Retrieval Problems: Share Your Experiences Nairalanders by enimcnite(m): 10:09pm On Feb 21, 2021
dives:

Wow. Congratulations enimcnite. Did you have to do any fingerprint capturing, I mean at MTN office after submitting your NIN? I am trying to retrieve an MTN sim for my sister, who is not in Nigeria at the moment. She receives bank alerts, and other notifications on that sim so it is quite important to her. I have all the necessary documents MTN asked of her. MY ID, sworn affidavits for retrieval by proxy from her own end, letter of authorization and a copy of her ID. However, she does not have an NIN yet as she has been unable to register over there because they have been on total lockdown due to the second wave of this covid-19 pandemic. Is there a way one can retrieve such line without the NIN due to the peculiarity of her case? Thanks

Thanks.
Yes, I did a fingereprint capture and a face capture.

I don't think there's any other way for your sister without the NIN slip.
But I will advice you to go to any MTN outlet to make further enquiry on this peculiar case.

Also, go with enough cash to bribe any of their staff cos money solves almost any case.
I'm sure there'll be a way around it when you get there.

Good luck.
Re: Sim Swap/Retrieval Problems: Share Your Experiences Nairalanders by oladele239(m): 9:09pm On Feb 25, 2021
Finally retrieved my line today....

Never give up!

To anyone out there still finding it difficult to do so just remain consistent and go there as early as possible.

I was there 5.30 am today lol
Re: Sim Swap/Retrieval Problems: Share Your Experiences Nairalanders by Nebostic: 11:25am On Feb 26, 2021
Mtn ?
oladele239:

Never give up!

To anyone out there still finding it difficult to do so just remain consistent and go there as early as possible.

Re: Sim Swap/Retrieval Problems: Share Your Experiences Nairalanders by Nebostic: 11:26am On Feb 26, 2021
3weeks now ,Glo dem curse ur papa?
Re: Sim Swap/Retrieval Problems: Share Your Experiences Nairalanders by Ayostically: 9:13pm On Feb 26, 2021
oladele239:

Never give up!

Hmm! here in Auchi, they don't open till 8am then you will have to Wait outside for like another 30min for the cleaners to tidy the place b4 they would attend to anyone.
....and then you have to go to work
Re: Sim Swap/Retrieval Problems: Share Your Experiences Nairalanders by oladele239(m): 5:55am On Feb 27, 2021
Ayostically:

Hmm! here in Auchi, they don't open till 8am then you will have to Wait outside for like another 30min for the cleaners to tidy the place b4 they would attend to anyone.
....and then you have to go to work

That's too bad
They know fully well that this stuff works very well only in the early hours of the day
I must commend MTN staff at their Ojodu Berger office.....Those guys are hardworking and highly committed

As at 7pm yesterday they were still attending to customers
They start working as early as 7am even when normal resumption time is 9am or so
Re: Sim Swap/Retrieval Problems: Share Your Experiences Nairalanders by bofemsky2: 9:24am On Feb 27, 2021
Please guys, how can I retrieve my MTN number on my phone. I mean what code can I use? Thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Keke Driver In Lagos Returns Lost Phone To Owner (Photo) / There Are Fake Versions Of Infinix HOT NOTE In Nigerian Market / Latest MTN Internet Data Bundles/plans With Subcription Codes/sms,data Allowance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.