Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,001 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:18 AM

Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. - Foreign Affairs (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. (21098 Views)

Ivory Coast’s Gbagbo Surrenders / Ouattara Fighters Seize I.coast Capital, Few Hours Left For Gbagbo / Cote D' Ivoire: Gbagbo’s Supporters Attack Nigerian Embassy, Nigerians Flee. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by babaowo: 3:44pm On Apr 11, 2011
ppl if you see how this old man dey sweat,hmm stupid gbagbo shame on him,he shuld have commit sucide jeje lol
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by ochukoccna: 3:44pm On Apr 11, 2011
blacksta:

I am bit confused  - I saw this picture some times last week.  
anyway from bbc

If that is true, then the time the picture would have been taken was when Gbagbo was still opposing H-Boigny in the 90's but that picture doesn't look that old as Gbagbo would have looked far younger with no 'Baba Iyabo' type belly.
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by ekea2001: 3:45pm On Apr 11, 2011
wifey nko nd Youth leader. cry
power corrupts.
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by tunnytox(m): 3:46pm On Apr 11, 2011
@superboi
Don't bother trying to convince many posters here who have obviously been brainwashed by the western media, for those who think Gbagbo's arrest will signal the end of this war you'll be disappointed because there are still many disgruntled southerners who believed their country is being overun by foreigners, by the time these one's start their rebel movement I'm sure Quatarra will have a lot to deal with
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by morpheus24: 3:49pm On Apr 11, 2011
tunnytox:

@superboi
Don't bother trying to convince many posters here who have obviously been brainwashed by the western media, for those who think Gbagbo's arrest will signal the end of this war you'll be disappointed because there are still many disgruntled southerners who believed their country is being overun by foreigners, by the time these one's start their rebel movement I'm sure Quatarra will have a lot to deal with

Here we go again with the brainwashed media thingy again. Really!
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by superboi(m): 3:50pm On Apr 11, 2011
got this along with your 4 months ago. It is fake.

Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by jude33084(m): 3:51pm On Apr 11, 2011
CNN is showing it,, pls tune in and dont ask silly questions angry
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by EzeUche(m): 3:53pm On Apr 11, 2011
Let us not forget that Gbagbo did get 45% of the vote. I fear for Ivory Coast now, because 45%, meaning almost 10 million people who voted for him, are not going to be happy now that he has been captured.
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by MyJoe: 3:53pm On Apr 11, 2011
2ndThought:

Archetypal African Strongman - here: starts off well before the slow and irreversible unpacking of megalomaniac tendencies ensues sad sad sad
Yeah. We see this again and again. Sad.
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by Bishopking: 3:55pm On Apr 11, 2011
"Ouattara married his wife, Dominique Nouvian Folloroux, in a 1990 wedding ceremony officiated by the then Mayor of Neuilly-sur-Seine, Nicolas Sarkozy."
is this a coincidence?
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by otokx(m): 3:57pm On Apr 11, 2011
They say he surrendered; moreover he is under UN protection at the same hotel his opponent stays.
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by morpheus24: 3:57pm On Apr 11, 2011
Bishopking:

"Ouattara married his wife, Dominique Nouvian Folloroux, in a 1990 wedding ceremony officiated by the then Mayor of Neuilly-sur-Seine, Nicolas Sarkozy."
is this a coincidence?

Gbagbo lived in exile in France? Could it be the reason why he has been in power. Isn't that a coincidence as well.

Stop these innuendo's please
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by meine: 3:58pm On Apr 11, 2011
France will soon begin to get a dose of the hatred that the Americans got the from Arabs post Iraqi invasion!

First they seized the Abidjan airport, as if that is not enough they sent in special ops team to capture a sitting president, wats the meaning of that ? i am really mad at sarkozy This is the beginning of the end for the UNO
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by morpheus24: 3:59pm On Apr 11, 2011
EzeUche:

Let us not forget that Gbagbo did get 45% of the vote. I fear for Ivory Coast now, because 45%, meaning almost 10 million people who voted for him, are not going to be happy now that he has been captured.

A democratic process requires rule by a majority 'will" with strong minority rights in place. The 45% is a minority which must be taken into consideration when ruling. It will be disaster if not.
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by vladimiros: 4:16pm On Apr 11, 2011
@ meine,

we as Nigerians can` say much

in 2005 i think we got bullied by yanks to deliver up Charles taylor if you can remember
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by md4real(m): 4:22pm On Apr 11, 2011
they saved his ass, if those African babarian soldiers highed on drugs has caught him, he would have been death
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by MyJoe: 4:27pm On Apr 11, 2011
superboi:

Fact is a lot of Northerners are truly Burkinabe or Mixed, and a lot of northerners are closer ethnically to Burkinabe than to the south.
That is why a sensible voice like Thabo Mbeki way back in 2005/6 told the UN to trash out the nationality issue before holding any elections or it might lead to civil war, especially if the Rebels were not disarmed. As we have seen what he said have proved prophetic. Lets remember also that it was Gbagbo that gave Quattara back his CIV citizenship in 2000. Ultimately all these guys are just pawn in a resource war.
I am not aware Mbeki ever put it that way. But if that was the position he took, there was nothing particularly sensible about it, especially if he did not tell them how to "thrash out" the ethnicity or nationality issue or get the rebels to disarm. You see, my superbrother, man thrives in the midst of chaos. South Africa, Mr Mbeki's country, held its first democratic elections amidst violence between supporters of the ANC and IFP. The elections brought relief from the violence.  Mozambique's first post war elections were held amidst tensions as to whether Renamo would accept the results if they lost or return to the trenches. Sudan's referendum, supervised by Mr Mbeki, were held when the borders were yet to be demarcated among other pending issues and sporadic outbreaks of violence at the oil-rich region of Abie.  There are other examples. There is no country coming out of conflict where the guns totally fall silent and everyone is happy before elections are held.

The UN was right to have organised the elections. What are you and Mr Mbeki suggesting? That not holding the elections would have meant peace? Of course, elections were the most sensible option since the world could then tell Quatarra or Gbagbo - whoever loses - that it is time to quit the stage. Things would have worked out if losers had accepted that they lost. And it is not right to pretend that the Ivory Coast is currently burning because some rebels refused to disarm. It is because Gbagbo refused to concede defeat after losing the election, hoping that the AU would send Mbeki or Annan to impose some Zimbabwe- or Kenya-type solution and he would remain president. In any case, there was a disarmament program and arms were actually destroyed; the rebels have simply merely rearmed or dug out their weapons wherever they hid them when they were asked to disarm.
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by Blazing99: 4:27pm On Apr 11, 2011
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by Nobody: 4:30pm On Apr 11, 2011
smh.
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by 2ndThought(m): 4:31pm On Apr 11, 2011
On a different note, what should one make of these French-African "first ladies" (note: I think Gbagbo's first wife was also French)

Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by Ibime(m): 4:33pm On Apr 11, 2011
Once again, when you have two parts of the country pitted against each other, election is the worst drug you can give to such a sick nation. Ivory Coast needs a referendum on seperation, not elections. The 45% Southerners who voted Gbagbo will make the country ungovernable for Outtara and vice-versa.
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by Blazing99: 4:33pm On Apr 11, 2011
The real image of Gbagbo arrested.

Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by MyJoe: 4:39pm On Apr 11, 2011
Ibime:

Once again, when you have two parts of the country pitted against each other, election is the worst drug you can give to such a sick nation. Ivory Coast needs a referendum on seperation, not elections. The 45% Southerners who voted Gbagbo will make the country ungovernable for Outtara and vice-versa.
Maybe. But you and I know that (referendum) isn't likely to happen. Africans tend to place these European-made borders at the level of God. Even if a referendum were to take place, don't bet the people will vote for a separation - listen to them talk, they like to pretend they have no issues of ethnicity, "it's the Europeans dividing us!" Still even if that wasn't the problem, the question of who will vote in the referendum would still arise, with Ivoriteans defining would be qualified to vote and who would not be. So I doubt that is a practicable solution. It would be far better if they got a statesman who will preach unity, draft a new constitution on citizenship and encourage the people to adopt it, settling the issue once and for all.
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by AlabaSlim: 4:44pm On Apr 11, 2011
Thus europe rules africa
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by morpheus24: 4:45pm On Apr 11, 2011
MyJoe:

Maybe. But you and I know that (referendum) isn't likely to happen. Africans tend to place these European-made borders at the level of God. Even if a referendum were to take place, don't bet the people will vote for a separation - listen to them talk, they like to pretend they have no issues of ethnicity, "it's the Europeans dividing us!" Still even if that wasn't the problem, the question of who will vote in the referendum would still arise, with Ivoriteans defining would be qualified to vote and who would not be. So I doubt that is a practicable solution. It would be far better if they got a statesman who will preach unity, draft a new constitution on citizenship and encourage the people to adopt it, settling the issue once and for all.

Excellent suggestion!. I concur
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by Sunofgod(m): 4:46pm On Apr 11, 2011
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by cutesharon(f): 4:52pm On Apr 11, 2011
i still believe dat whatever humiliation suffered by gbagbo was caused by him. he should have bowed out when d ovation was loud not disgraced like saddam
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by lovejo(m): 4:53pm On Apr 11, 2011
western world are putting extremist in power without due process , we will see the outcome in few years to come, where is africa sovereignty.
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by morpheus24: 4:59pm On Apr 11, 2011
lovejo:

western world are putting extremist in power without due process , we will see the outcome in few years to come, where is africa sovereignty.

They will continue to bully us because we continue to act stupid in disguise of African soverignty rights.
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by manutayo(m): 5:03pm On Apr 11, 2011
Dieu merci la paix reviendra dans ce pays qui etait connnu pour  cette paix qu' elle a tant precher par son pere foundateur feu Felix Houphouet Boigny. La paix ce nést pas un mot c'est un comportement .
Good Luck Ivoirian Dramane have the duty to reconcile the people of Ivory Coast among themselves and with the rest of the west african citizen living with them.
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by myk2mic: 5:06pm On Apr 11, 2011
well this is a sad end for the man, if only he had heeded to the old saying" a wise man does at once wat a foolish man would finally do". but that said, the war if very far from over cos there are still pro-gbagbo militias roaming the streets with guns and matchets, and am not sure the are ready to stop fighthing.now quattara would also see rebels emerging from the south to make the country ungovernable. as for you guys blaming the french, i assure u that wat the have done is wat most countries who has colonies and have nationals living in those colonies would do, protect ur citizens.The only got fully involved in the war after gbagbo's force attacked them and un forces as well.so the backed the rebles with heavy gunfire and stormed the presidential palace.but how would quattara bridge the divide between the south and the north, xtians and muslims etc. I think the civil war has only just begun.
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by georgem(m): 5:17pm On Apr 11, 2011
my fellow africans, now let us reason like africans. i sure hpoe we are not looking at another rwanda story in the making here, where everybody that could have done something to prevent the genocide sat back and took care of only their interest. think deeply what would happen should the opposition army kill gbagbo? i think it will only take the fear of God for them not to kill him. you need to see how they were shuffling him on CNN. haba if trully it was the french army that had arrested him, it would really be gross wrong doing on their part to have handed him over to his would be executors for you an i know that there is noway he would get free and fair judgement amidst their anger and emotions. sirkosci or how he spell his name has a case to answer. they just have to stop raping africa like the free LovePeddler.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Parody Video On Xenophobia By Ugandan Comedian / Serbia Explains Refusal To Join Russia Sanctions / U.S. Officials Suspect That Russian Hackers Broke Into Federal Agencies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.