Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,016 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:32 AM

Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. - Foreign Affairs (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. (21099 Views)

Ivory Coast’s Gbagbo Surrenders / Ouattara Fighters Seize I.coast Capital, Few Hours Left For Gbagbo / Cote D' Ivoire: Gbagbo’s Supporters Attack Nigerian Embassy, Nigerians Flee. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by adconline(m): 7:32pm On Apr 11, 2011
See this guy Wahala just dey start!!!!
A foreign army(white) enters a country(Black African Divided along ethno/religious lines) and arrest one of the presidential candidate and hands him over to the other and you applaude that?
No wonder Africa is so backwards always entering shortcut and getting lost in the bush

So no wahala, so long as a black man mistreats his fellow blacks?
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by Sunofgod(m): 7:44pm On Apr 11, 2011
I was receiving orders from 'Nairalnders'
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by nadkaf: 7:45pm On Apr 11, 2011
This is sad. Would we be so quick to cheer if this happened in our country and the British or Americans did this in order to install "democracy"? Where was ECOWAS (ECOMOG)? AU? Chasing the madman in the desert? Sure Gbagbo was wrong in refusing to handover, if truly he lost the elections. But are we sure his arrest is an end to the problems or just the beginning of a downward spiral? Lord have mercy!
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by congoshine(m): 7:54pm On Apr 11, 2011
I think Gbagbo has himslf & only himself to blame.

ECOWAS tried to resolve the problem by sending the Presidents of Benin,Sierra Leone & Cape Verde twice.

ECOWAS president (GEJ) then sent OBJ , GBAGBO no gree.

AU took over & sent Kenya prime Minister TWICE

Then he was invited to AU meeting in Ethiopia no long thing

Finally AU sent South Africa .Mauritania & Bukina Faso president still nothing.

Please he has himself to blame. Trying to blame France is just like muslims blaming the US for all their problems.
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by Delafruita(m): 8:23pm On Apr 11, 2011
I wonder why any right thinking african would applaud the forceful removal from office of a sitting president.a lot of people have been so brainwashed by the foreign press that they donot even realise gbagbo has a legitimate claiom to the presidency.its true the eloctoral commision declared ouattara the winner,but the constituitional council which is empowered by ivorien constituition to look into election results found good reason to nullify some results credited to ouattara and after a recount,declared gbagbo winner.now that is perfectly in order according to ivorien constituition but then monkey-faced ban ki moon begins to talk bladderdash,sarkozy screams blue murder,ecowas disowns gbagbo and the next thing we know,situation critical.the ivorien crisis made me remember bush vs gore in 1999,gore was in the lead up till the florida ballot count was manipulated in favour of bush.gore asked for a recount which there was time for but the supreme court which had four judges who were appointed by the older bush voted against the continuation of the recount.it was clear gore won and even despite the ruling favouring bush,gore still won the popular vote by over 500,000 votes but lost at the electotal college.the UN didnt scream then,chirac stayed mute,in short nothing happened but in this ivoien case,which is very similar to the bush case,they all rushed in to hound him out.why didnt they chase out ahmajinedad in iran,or chavez in venezuela,why have they continually said removing ghadaffi is not on their priority list?because they know it will backfire.but we west africans were quick to brand gbagbo an outcast.this is hypocrisy.we are sending a delegation of african leaders to negotiate with ghadaffi,the OIC is insisting ghadaffi is not to be outsted but when sarkozy's dogs manhandle gbagbo,we applaud.if na naija that kain thing happen,we go gree?
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by texazzpete(m): 8:28pm On Apr 11, 2011
Delafruita:

I wonder why any right thinking african would applaud the forceful removal from office of a sitting president.a lot of people have been so brainwashed by the foreign press that they donot even realise gbagbo has a legitimate claiom to the presidency.its true the eloctoral commision declared ouattara the winner,but the constituitional council which is empowered by ivorien constituition to look into election results found good reason to nullify some results credited to ouattara and after a recount,declared gbagbo winner.now that is perfectly in order according to ivorien constituition but then monkey-faced ban ki moon begins to talk bladderdash,sarkozy screams blue murder,ecowas disowns gbagbo and the next thing we know,situation critical.the ivorien crisis made me remember bush vs gore in 1999,gore was in the lead up till the florida ballot count was manipulated in favour of bush.gore asked for a recount which there was time for but the supreme court which had four judges who were appointed by the older bush voted against the continuation of the recount.it was clear gore won and even despite the ruling favouring bush,gore still won the popular vote by over 500,000 votes but lost at the electotal college.the UN didnt scream then,chirac stayed mute,in short nothing happened but in this ivoien case,which is very similar to the bush case,they all rushed in to hound him out.why didnt they chase out ahmajinedad in iran,or chavez in venezuela,why have they continually said removing ghadaffi is not on their priority list?because they know it will backfire.but we west africans were quick to brand gbagbo an outcast.this is hypocrisy.we are sending a delegation of african leaders to negotiate with ghadaffi,the OIC is insisting ghadaffi is not to be outsted but when sarkozy's dogs manhandle gbagbo,we applaud.if na naija that kain thing happen,we go gree?

The 'constitutional council' is staffed with heavily compromised Gbagbo cronies. What else did you expect them to do but to legitimize Gbagbo's stolen mandate?
Gbagbo came to power on the back of a popular revolt, it's only fitting he gets ousted by a popular revolt.
The man's tenure should have ended since 2005, he has been securing extensions to allow him pacify and re-integrate the unruly north. If the baboon failed to unify his country, whose fault is it?

All these sit-tight African leaders should be cast down and thrown to the dogs.
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by Sopono(m): 8:47pm On Apr 11, 2011
The Ivory coast issue is indeed multi-faceted & Gbagbo's arrest is no panacea for problems bedevilling that country.
In fact, i fear the wahala has probably just begun!!! sad sad
Peace obviously won't be returning to that country any time soon as the bulk of the Gbagbo's Southern Ivorien supporters will definitely make things difficult for Quattara.
Having said that, it is important to point out that the motives & role of the french in the whole fiasco (albeit under UN mandate) is very far from altruistic.
It is indeed a big shame on Africa that several decades after colonialism, we still willingly present ourselves for such blatant neo-colonialism angry angry
African leaders should learn to do what is right for Africa, above base personal interests and stop giving the Sarkozy's of this world an excuse to despoil mama Africa again and again! angry angry angry angry angry
When are we gonna learn!!!!!!!!!!??
I dey vex o!!!!!!!! angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by Okijajuju1(m): 8:55pm On Apr 11, 2011
georgem:

change is surely in the air. nigerian leaders should watchout and learn from recent happenings. if youn trully love your country and want to govern it through development and mean well for the citizens, then there shouldnot be any bloodshed even if you think you have been robbed. you need not fight as doing so would plunge the country you s,o claim to love into desolation. rulership should not be a do or die affair

My guy! God forbid if Nigeria should face a situation where the incumbent refuses to step down, na only military coup fit remove am, because Nigerians no go carry guns fight anybody, and Britain our colonial leaders no send us message either,

I pity Outtara, Its his greed that killed him, They offered him a chance to leave the country peacefully but he remained pig-headed, now look at his downfall. I would have evacuated my family to a country that has no extradtition agreement with any country (like cuba) and lounged for life, Stupid ass, HE deserves everything he gets, Didn't he see what happened to Saddam?
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by darkcherry: 9:05pm On Apr 11, 2011
http://www.africapresse.com/actualite/le-president-laurent-gbagbo-et-son-epouse-simone-gbagbo-ont-ete-arretes-par-les-les-forces-francaises-et-remis-aux-frci-photos/11/04/2011/

don't know how they arrested them but seems like they roughed them up.

Simone Gbagbo is missing hair at the front and in the picture looks like she fell on the ground.

Lawd Help us.

wow, what a hole they dug themselves into!
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by Sunofgod(m): 9:21pm On Apr 11, 2011
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by deor03(m): 9:27pm On Apr 11, 2011
THIS  GUY SEEMS TO BE SAYING.
REBEL: I GO WOZZZZ  YOU
GBAGBO: NO WOZZ ME OH

Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by morpheus24: 9:50pm On Apr 11, 2011
DeeJay20:

I expect better from guys like you Morpheus, please research the so-called
President elect wife dealing before posting here, Comments based on surface knowledge
is meaningless,

You are absolutely right. I will investigate the facts of the matter.

The other comments is based on the insinuations of posting the pic without the facts.
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by mousty: 10:32pm On Apr 11, 2011
i am greatfull
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by owobokiri(m): 10:36pm On Apr 11, 2011
Reading some of the reponses to this invasion led by Sarkozy and supported by the so-called black American president, I am stunned. We are doomed as a people if we will always be applauding imperilasits in this manner. . Very frightening. If we cant see the fact that the french are in this for the newly discovered Ivorian oil and the cocoa, then we are finished. The french are now fighting for democracy? The same way they are doing so in Burkina faso with Compaore who has been in power since 2007? And Eyadema and Bongo, two french supported leaders who succeeded their fathers after they died in power? Do you guys remember that Bokassa was imposed by the same french? How about Biya?  This was the same thing the french did in Rwanda; arm the Interahamwe, support them to kill the Tutsis. Immediately the killings began, the french went in and took all westerners away, leaving the Africans to fight to finish. Yet it was the french that trained the Hutu soldiers. I am lost of words. CNN and BBC have killed my people.

The best resolution for this conflict should have been a government of national unity. It was a very devided election and the results were rigged in the north.  Hate him as much as you can, but the fact is that Gbagbo had legitmate reasons to claim his post. He had issues with the elections and followed that up constitutionally. To save African lives, since ethnicity was the main factor behind the squabbles,  a government of national unity would have been a good option. That would have helped save many lives that have been lost recently not to talk of the lives that will be lost as this crises starts to get worse. I am not worried that the french always like to invade countries. Afterall they tried that in Vietnam and were pounded roundly. Since then , they left Asia alone. I am rather so disappointed that Africans follow the western press to lynch their own. The Asians and South Americans have broken away from western imperialism because their people have started pushing back. But my people will always tell you; CNN said this, Aljazeerah said that, I heard it from the BBC so , that means it is right. It is now a cultural fad to depend on western propaganda machines for information! sigh. Looks like our independence is still far away. SMH
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by cdoffx(m): 10:41pm On Apr 11, 2011
Ofcourse we all neo-colonialism in this issue but the truth of the matter is that its our leaders in Africa that makes it easy for all there western autocrat to flex there muscle here in Africa and it would've also been nice if any military aid to any African nation is directly under the AU and the AU determines the extent of involvement but that not the case since all these leaders are just the same western puppets. Just a pity that the few one that wants to be different are not taking the right steps
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by Koikoi(m): 10:50pm On Apr 11, 2011
We can all blame France for her imperialistc instincts! France should've waited for Gbagbo to eliminate all those that insisted that their votes should count, those that are tired of the misrule of the regime and all those who wants a better future for their children. If African leaders cannot govern their people with the fear of GOD, then they the leaders should be pushed around like what has just happened to the animal called gbagbo. America was colonised by the the british. we should learn not to blame our problems on others when we, ourselves cause our problems without having a clue on how to solve it. like the lagos danfo driver
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by Roforofo(m): 11:13pm On Apr 11, 2011
Some Africans are generally stupid and like deceiving themselves. In Nigeria a man like Babangida should be lynched in the streets yet people hail him as a big man. Same goes for Ernest Shonekan, Jeremiah Useni, TY Danjuma, many many ex governors and military men. Instead of facing the evil within foolish Africans blame the White man for all their problems. It is why almost every African nation run by Africans is useless, Sudan, Nigeria, Gabon, Burkina Faso, Chad, Niger, Ivory Coast, etc. Yet the same Africans all desperate to escape and live in the West and they all want to get European and American passports. Nonsense people.
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by cdoffx(m): 11:24pm On Apr 11, 2011
Roforofo:

Some Africans are generally silly and like deceiving themselves. In Nigeria a man like Babangida should be lynched in the streets yet people hail him as a big man. Same goes for Ernest Shonekan, Jeremiah Useni, TY Danjuma, many many ex governors and military men. Instead of facing the evil within foolish Africans blame the White man for all their problems. It is why almost every African nation run by Africans is useless, Sudan, Nigeria, Gabon, Burkina Faso, Chad, Niger, Ivory Coast, etc. Yet the same Africans all desperate to escape and live in the West and they all want to get European and American passports. Nonsense people.
there is just no difference between our bad leader and their western counterpart. The western capitalise on our foolish leader to cart away our riches simple. The only difference is just that while our leader are ruining Africa they are using the resources of Africa to boost their economy. No one is blaming them for our problem but it not gainsaying that they help compound it.
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by mamagee3(f): 11:25pm On Apr 11, 2011
So much for a gaddafi-wannabe chicken who said he would never surrender nor resign barely two days ago. grin grin

How in the world did that lily-livered man think he was going to defeat the whole world? undecided

Some of these dictators have clay-brained guts that makes no sense and in the end comes back to hunt them.

The lives of 800 people gone in a brutal way. sad sad

Justice would definitely run its full course. sad sad
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by tyson55(m): 11:25pm On Apr 11, 2011
Shame on all that  thinks that Africans doesn't merit nothing but blood thirsty, greedy dictators like Ghadafi, Mugabe, Dos santos and Gbagbo. Despots who cling to power by killing it's own people and hide under the banner of panafricanism. Shame on you who thinks that freedom and democracy are too big a luxery for africans.
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by Princek12(m): 11:38pm On Apr 11, 2011
owobokiri:

Reading some of the reponses to this invasion led by Sarkozy and supported by the so-called black American president, I am stunned. We are doomed as a people if we will always be applauding imperilasits in this manner. . Very frightening. If we cant see the fact that the french are in this for the newly discovered Ivorian oil and the cocoa, then we are finished. The french are now fighting for democracy? The same way they are doing so in Burkina faso with Compaore who has been in power since 2007? And Eyadema and Bongo, two french supported leaders who succeeded their fathers after they died in power? Do you guys remember that Bokassa was imposed by the same french? How about Biya?  This was the same thing the french did in Rwanda; arm the Interahamwe, support them to kill the Tutsis. Immediately the killings began, the french went in and took all westerners away, leaving the Africans to fight to finish. Yet it was the french that trained the Hutu soldiers. I am lost of words. CNN and BBC have killed my people.

The best resolution for this conflict should have been a government of national unity. It was a very devided election and the results were rigged in the north.  Hate him as much as you can, but the fact is that Gbagbo had legitmate reasons to claim his post. He had issues with the elections and followed that up constitutionally. To save African lives, since ethnicity was the main factor behind the squabbles,  a government of national unity would have been a good option. That would have helped save many lives that have been lost recently not to talk of the lives that will be lost as this crises starts to get worse. I am not worried that the french always like to invade countries. Afterall they tried that in Vietnam and were pounded roundly. Since then , they left Asia alone. I am rather so disappointed that Africans follow the western press to lynch their own. The Asians and South Americans have broken away from western imperialism because their people have started pushing back. But my people will always tell you; CNN said this, Aljazeerah said that, I heard it from the BBC so , that means it is right. It is now a cultural fad to depend on western propaganda machines for information! sigh. Looks like our independence is still far away. SMH

What alternatives do you suggest, then, had the French not removed Gbagbo? Please be logical and reasonable and succinctly state what should have been done.
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by mamagee3(f): 12:05am On Apr 12, 2011
How were they able to get him out of his bunker?

Can someone tell us?
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by vaLasce(m): 12:15am On Apr 12, 2011
Gbagbo is an antelop
His anteloptic hoofs n horns should b detached,so he doznt hop away. . . . .
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by Sagamite(m): 12:19am On Apr 12, 2011
DeeJay20:

Dude u need to chill wit that bullsh**

Only The People in Ivory Coast "in the Know" know the kind of
Economic sapping they are going to endure under this "Alassane Ouattara"
of a guy. I know that Most African leaders do not have the act together but the
french did what they did because of the obvious gains they are going to make
based on the picture below,

IVORY COAST BEHOLD YOUR "SO CALLED" PRESIDENT ELECT AND HIS JEZEBEL FIRST LADY!!![

[img]http://bossip.files./2011/04/alassane-dominique-ouattara.jpeg?w=600&h=272[/img]

RECONIALISATION IS BEING ATTEMPTED BIG-TIME BUT IS GONNA FAIL!!!

You are a reetard!

Someone won elections, you are throwing moronic accusations.

Bloody cretin!
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by Princek12(m): 12:21am On Apr 12, 2011
mama-gee:

How were they able to get him out of his bunker?

Can someone tell us?

they probably had informants tell the French special forces the location of the bunker. They probably killed all his guards who did not surrender, restrained the ones who surrendered, put a gun to the back of their skull, and told them to open the bunker. This is typical special forces mission. As you can see, all his guards, including Gbagbo, are meek and weak fools who did not fight till the death. All they can do is intimidate defenseless civilians; but when confronted with a well-trained army, they give up like sisis.
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by mamagee3(f): 12:24am On Apr 12, 2011
^^Okay, that explanation alone was funny and straight to the point! grin

NO doubt that the so called "strongmen" dictators are chickens. . .

Gbagbo is a living proof of it. . .anyway, good riddance to bad rubbish.

One more dictator down, more to go. . .Gaddafi and Saleh had better get packing.
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by Sagamite(m): 12:27am On Apr 12, 2011
Princek12:

they probably had informants tell the French special forces the location of the bunker. They probably killed all his guards who did not surrender, restrained the ones who surrendered, put a gun to the back of their skull, and told them to open the bunker. This is typical special forces mission. As you can see, all his guards, including Gbagbo, are meek and weak fools who did not fight till the death. All they can do is intimidate defenseless civilians; but when confronted with a well-trained army, they give up like sisis.

GBAM!!!

Fcking bastaaards!

From this:

To this:

People that, for selfish reasons, ruin lives.

KILL THEM!

Thousands dead, economy has collapsed because some ARSEHOLE cannot accept election defeat.

Then you have some REEEEEEEEEEEETARDS on NL who are more bothered about who got the arseholes out of power. Fcking fooooools!
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by mamagee3(f): 12:31am On Apr 12, 2011
Sagamite:

GBAM!!!

Fcking bastaaards!

From this:

To this:

People that, for selfish reasons, ruin lives.

KILL THEM!

Thousands dead, economy has collapsed because some ARSEHOLE cannot accept election defeat.

Then you have some REEEEEEEEEEEETARDS on NL who are more bothered about who got the arseholes out of power. Fcking fooooools!
The fool should have listened to Ban-Ki moon's last warnings. . .

I remember barely two days ago, he was told by the UN that they were giving him the last chance to step down graciously but he arrogantly rejected it.

He has no one but himself to blame.
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by Sagamite(m): 12:33am On Apr 12, 2011
nadkaf:

This is sad. Would we be so quick to cheer if this happened in our country and the British or Americans did this in order to install "democracy"? Where was ECOWAS (ECOMOG)? AU? Chasing the madman in the desert? Sure Gbagbo was wrong in refusing to handover, if truly he lost the elections. But are we sure his arrest is an end to the problems or just the beginning of a downward spiral? Lord have mercy!

Reetard!
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by PRINCE19(m): 12:39am On Apr 12, 2011
Shame a whole African leader, Shows how backward and dependent we are in Africa>>>Most of us actually happy for his arrest>>True he has been a very unjustly and idiotic unintelligent leader, but yet are we looking beyond that and asking what is the cause of all this and the root itself, and behold see Africa in shame>>Can any western leader or country be like this. dats the way i see it.>>,
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by Nobody: 12:43am On Apr 12, 2011
Lol is is the beginning of a second re-colonisation of Africa.
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by Sagamite(m): 12:44am On Apr 12, 2011
PRINCE19:

Shame a whole African leader, Shows how backward and dependent we are in Africa>>>Most of us actually happy for his arrest>>True he has been a very unjustly and idiotic unintelligent leader, but yet are we looking beyond that and asking what is the cause of all this and the root itself, and behold see Africa in shame>>Can any western leader or country be like this.    dats the way i see it.>>,

80% fail WAEC exams!

Proof here.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Parody Video On Xenophobia By Ugandan Comedian / Serbia Explains Refusal To Join Russia Sanctions / U.S. Officials Suspect That Russian Hackers Broke Into Federal Agencies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.