Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,641 members, 7,809,403 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:59 AM

My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time (61622 Views)

How I Pay My Rent / I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help / My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by darkwan: 11:40am On Mar 09, 2021
Deathisfree:
I hail Una wey dey live with landlord. I can’t try such again. Me and my last landlord ended in the police station. I beat the hell out of the idiot

to be a tenant is terrible in this world....

better own your own house....

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by 9jaRealist: 11:40am On Mar 09, 2021
bigfish3k:

Six months starts counting after expiration of rent

No, it does NOT...
It starts from the date (of delivery) of the notice.
>

5 Likes

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by bekpo(m): 11:40am On Mar 09, 2021
The Notice is in order except there was a tenancy agreement that abridge specifically d time to 7 day notice. But from d notice, there's no tenancy agreement between u both that's d reason for d six months notice. However, there's no qualms since d internment is to cure d effect of absence of tenancy agreement. It's either after d expiration of ur tenancy u renew same or u relocate. Don't assume d landlord hate u or u have any issues with him. It's normal in d circumstances. The landlord is educated or d property is managed by a lawyer. If u fail to renew ur tenancy after expiration of d current tenancy, u r only entitled to 7 days notice of owners intention to recover property thereafter u will b summoned to d rent control court to give reasons why u couldn't handover vacant possession.

4 Likes

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by christopher123(m): 11:41am On Mar 09, 2021
9jaRealist:

Just saw the last line... shocked
That was unnecessary, but nothing wrong with the rest of the letter.
>

That last line messed the whole thing up
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by agujames4real(m): 11:41am On Mar 09, 2021
The quit notice is legally in order, otherwise go to court and challenge it
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by bigfish3k: 11:41am On Mar 09, 2021
darkwan:
6 months is alot of patience....

others dont give up to 2 months....
It should be about law and not the landlords discretions
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by Yansham: 11:42am On Mar 09, 2021
The first thing you need to do is refer to your tenancy agreement. Most people do not go through it at all and these landlords do put a loophole there. The loophole is for them to be able to issue you a quit notice six months before the expiration of your rent.

Read below an extract from the tenancy law:

Length of Notice

(1) Where there is no stipulation as to the notice to be given by either party to determine the tenancy, the following shall apply

(a) a week’s notice for a tenant at will;

(b) one (1) month’s notice for a monthly tenant;

(c) three (3) month’s notice for a quarterly tenant;

(d) three (3) month’s notice for a half-yearly tenant; and

(e) six (6) months notice for a yearly tenant.

At the bolded, landlords do insert the notice period. But tenants do not take their time to read it.

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by 9jaRealist: 11:43am On Mar 09, 2021
bekpo:
The Notice is in order except there was a tenancy agreement that abridge specifically d time to 7 day notice. But from d notice, there's no tenancy agreement between u both that's d reason for d six months notice. However, there's no qualms since d internment is to cure d effect of absence of tenancy agreement. It's either after d expiration of ur tenancy u renew same or u relocate. Don't assume d landlord hate u or u have any issues with him. It's normal in d circumstances. The landlord is educated or d property is managed by a lawyer. If u fail to renew ur tenancy after expiration of d current tenancy, u r only entitled to 7 days notice of owners intention to recover property thereafter u will b summoned to d rent control court to give reasons why u couldn't handover vacant possession.

Even if the requirement is 7-day advance notice...
The 6-month advance notice would still be enforceable.

A 7-day notice requirement merely means no later than 7 days...
Obviously, a 6-month advance notice is no later than the required 7 days.
>
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by staga: 11:43am On Mar 09, 2021
You were properly served. Start looking for a new house.

5 Likes

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by Enasuarez(m): 11:44am On Mar 09, 2021
Don't be moved by that cheap warning from him and his hungry lawyer. Wait till your rent expires on the last day in August. After the expiration, you're entitled to 6months grace, after the 6months elapses, you can take additional 3weeks. Never allow any mugu lawyer intimidate you because you don't know your right. I fought my landlord and his lawyer when they came for quit notice when my rent had not expired just because I told him that he (landlord) has not been paying his NEPA bill and when tents contribute their money for monthly NEPA Bill, he'll collect the money and eats it and when NEPA comes for disconnection, he'll give them #500-1000 for them not to be disconnected. I quoted the tenancy law to the lawyer and explained it to him.....He became dumbfounded. Bro google lagos Tenancy Law and read it just to know your right as a tenant. If you dey do liver cuttage, dem go chop you.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by gassbee: 11:44am On Mar 09, 2021
Tokskob2008:
He has to refund you the balance before the quit notice can be effective, my landlord did exact same thing and we all ended up at the police station where he was told to refund my balance so the notice could be effective or re issue the quit notice when my rent is due. This is usually done by illiterate and greedy landlords, he gave me quit notice in July when my rent expiration was December last year this is March and I'm still there his only prayer now is for me to move out soon as he can't do anything.
can u clarify did ur landlord give u notice to pack out by July or to pack out by December wen ur rent wil expire

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by greggng: 11:45am On Mar 09, 2021
That letter is not professionally drafted ...it looks like a threat letter . The tenant lawyer has no powers to eject you. Only court has such powers .I don't think that lawyer knows his onions . Due process must be adhered in other to eject a tenant ...this can only be guaranteed by court not by the wordings of this letter. Tenant go visit a good lawyer and seek professional advice ....
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by AngelicBeing: 11:45am On Mar 09, 2021
Shellsploit:
Lalasticlala sef
Hmmmm, Nairaland.com is full of wahala stories wink
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by kay7: 11:45am On Mar 09, 2021
Most comments are judgemental. The law of natural justice demands that we hear from both parties. while we may not hear from the landlord, the tenant should honestly tell us what brought about the notice. there's no smoke without fire!
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by supereagle(m): 11:45am On Mar 09, 2021
I will read when I am less busy.
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by ikezudon(m): 11:46am On Mar 09, 2021
A qualified lawyer conversant with the laws on tenancy would not write that. Check that law firm out, you'd be shocked they are quacks. The last line dey threaten you and it shows say no be lawyer write that thing. If you get the lawyer's number, go report am to the NBA. You will be shocked sef he didn't pass the bar exams.

Meanwhile, if you intend to purchase a house in Nigeria, see these tips ..

https://thearchitect.com.ng/buy-house-nigeria/
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by BluntTheApostle(m): 11:46am On Mar 09, 2021
xodyq:
Good morning guys. Is it right for my landlord to give me 6months quit notice (on 8th march) when my rent will be due in 6months time (31st August)??

Some landlords just like to put everything in writing.

Otherwise, it is not necessary to serve quit notice to a tenant whose tenancy is still active.

What the landlord is trying to communicate to you is that "When your rent is due, I will not be taking another rent from you. You will have to leave my house because I want to make use of it for other purposes".

The reason why some landlords like to give all these unnecessary quit notices is because of some stubborn tenants who would pretend like they didn't know that the landlord had told them that he wanted to reconvert his house.

So, that is why landlords always like to put everything in writing because they are easy to prove in court.

If you are not comfortable with the quit notice, ask to speak with the lawyer who served you. You might make a discreet recording during your meeting with him.

Also, keep the receipt of your rent safe and available.

So that they don't force you to cough out money at the end of the supposed quit notice.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by SeriouslySense(m): 11:46am On Mar 09, 2021
Ohh, pardon me, i did not realize that, that should not be done, its unethical.

Or11:

Lol you are mistaken, the OP is the silly one. Even if he wanted to bring it to NL, why not censor the landlords name. If I was the landlord, I would sue for infringement of privacy, defamation of character, attempted prejury and lots more.
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by Orc13: 11:46am On Mar 09, 2021
a very, very poorly written memo full of sh*t
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by CaptainFM1: 11:47am On Mar 09, 2021
xodyq:
Good morning guys. Is it right for my landlord to give me 6months quit notice (on 8th march) when my rent will be due in 6months time (31st August)??

It is perfectly right if it is within the terms of agreement. It is what it is, it's a notice.
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by IamAsiri: 11:48am On Mar 09, 2021
Bornsinner7:
Serve him your own notice that it is when your rent is due that he can only notify you of quitting.. hence he should balance you for the remaining month from the time of the notification Yeah.. it can be done verbally..

That's not true. He has been magnanimous enough to give the OP ample time to look for another house. Do your findings, a quit notice is usually given for 7 days after which law enforcers can take action, especially after the tenant's rent is due and the tenant has refused to either renew agreement or move out.
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by AFONJACOW(m): 11:52am On Mar 09, 2021
The last landlord that did this to me I ended up living in his house for another 2 years without paying a dime, we ending it in court at the end they gave me another extra 6 months Making it 2 years and 6 months I live in his house for free , the money I saved from not paying house rent for 30 months I used it to complete my 4 rooms bungalow and invite him for the opening of my own house... Play the Ediot and his yellowbar charge and bail lawyer

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by bomasek(m): 11:52am On Mar 09, 2021
hamtabfawaz:
Oops!

Hello My people! Check out our Classy POP designs

Call or WhatsApp : O7OI696IIOl
Na you do am
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by 9jaRealist: 11:55am On Mar 09, 2021
greggng:
That letter is not professionally drafted ...it looks like a threat letter . The tenant lawyer has no powers to eject you. Only court has such powers .I don't think that lawyer knows his onions . Due process must be adhered in other to eject a tenant ...this can only be guaranteed by court not by the wordings of this letter. Tenant go visit a good lawyer and seek professional advice ....

The last of the letter was gash....

However, a lawyer is merely an agent of his client, so he is not doing anything (much less “eject” the tenant) other than serve notice of his client’s intentions in respect of the property. Furthermore, the client is NOT “ejecting” the tenant either. He is merely essentially saying that when the rent runs out in 6 months, he has no intention of renewing/extending the tenancy agreement. The court cannot stop a landlord from reclaiming his property after the expiration of a lease term (if he had served suitable notice as per the lease agreement).
>

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by stupidmod3: 11:56am On Mar 09, 2021
SmartyPants:

He was correct and the police are not the proper authority to interpret the law in this regard. Notice can and should be given prior to expiration of rent provided the notice period does not expire before the expiration of the rent.
who are the proper authority then, tell us
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by femi4: 11:57am On Mar 09, 2021
Enasuarez:
Don't be moved by that cheap warning from him and his hungry lawyer. Wait till your rent expires on the last day in August. After the expiration, you're entitled to 6months grace, after the 6months elapses, you can take additional 3weeks. Never allow any mugu lawyer intimidate you because you don't know your right. I fought my landlord and his lawyer when they came for quit notice when my rent had not expired just because I told him that he (landlord) has not been paying his NEPA bill and when tents contribute their money for monthly NEPA Bill, he'll collect the money and eats it and when NEPA comes for disconnection, he'll give them #500-1000 for them not to be disconnected. I quoted the tenancy law to the lawyer and explained it to him.....He became dumbfounded. Bro google lagos Tenancy Law and read it just to know your right as a tenant. If you dey do liver cuttage, dem go chop you.
Most landlords are terrible

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by dheolexaone(f): 11:58am On Mar 09, 2021
Do not be misled by some tenants of doom on this platform.

On a norms, if your tenancy payment is based on 6months interval, u are entitled to a 3 month notice before the expiration of ur tenancy agreement and if your tenancy payment is on a yearly due, you are entitled to a 6months notice.

Mind you, this notice is not to evict you immediately but a prior info of warning to let you know that you are no longer wanted in that house due to one or two reasons known by the landlord.

There is no point in fighting ur landlord because you want to prove to him that you are smarter.
Pls he own his house.

Maintain ur level, look for house elsewhere or you go to meet him amicably to know the reason why he no longer wants you in his house provided you have been a good tenant in that aspect.

If u can't sort it out, then be prepared to do the needful when your tenancy agreement expires.

Some follow come agents of doom giving u advice here will not be there to bear the brunts that u will incur.

Live responsibly

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by femi4: 11:59am On Mar 09, 2021
9jaRealist:

The last of the letter was gash....

However, a lawyer is merely an agent of his client, so he is not doing anything (much less “eject” the tenant) other than serve notice of his client’s intentions in respect of the property. Furthermore, the client is NOT “ejecting” the tenant either. He is merely essentially saying that when the rent runs out in 6 months, he has no intention of renewing/extending the tenancy agreement. The court cannot stop a landlord from reclaiming his property after the expiration of a lease term (if he had served suitable notice as per the lease agreement).
>
Expiration should be Aug 31 not Aug8
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by Nobody: 12:00pm On Mar 09, 2021
please pack out, useless tenant. the six months is adequate by law. you are a bad tenant and the landlord can't wait till your rent expire. you will be arrested if you spend a day more than the day you were given.

3 Likes

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by dipotepede(m): 12:01pm On Mar 09, 2021
There is definitely a lot of mistake in the notice: the lawyer is accountable.

The letter should NOT have been a notice of any sort.

It should simply have been a letter of intent stating that you do NOT wish the tenant to renew the tenancy.

The Landlord does NOT need to tell the tenant why?

The date on the letter will do the work.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Elegant 3 Bedroom Bungalow Construction On Half Plot - Lekki (with Pictures) / 21-Storey Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Lagos. Many Trapped (Video) / How Many Plots Of Land Can We Find In An Acres. Urgent

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.