Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,296 members, 7,811,887 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:18 PM

My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time - Properties (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time (61801 Views)

How I Pay My Rent / I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help / My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by Daytonbale: 12:02pm On Mar 09, 2021
hamtabfawaz:
Oops!

Hello My people! Check out our Classy POP designs

Call or WhatsApp : O7OI696IIOl
this is beautiful
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by seunmsg(m): 12:03pm On Mar 09, 2021
xodyq:
Good morning guys. Is it right for my landlord to give me 6months quit notice (on 8th march) when my rent will be due in 6months time (31st August)??

I don't like the language of the lawyer but the notice is in order. However, the six months period should elapse on 7th September and not August 8th.

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by Lordbukas: 12:03pm On Mar 09, 2021
The lawyer who wrote this letter must be a bush man. So unprofessional, how can you issue a notice and still threaten the tenant. A word is enough for the wise is it a threat or an advice? Nonsense, you can reply your landlord and tell him what is right. Though it's cool for you to start looking for another apartment who knows you can even get a better place.

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by 9jaRealist: 12:05pm On Mar 09, 2021
chukwugoziegi:
My brother's tenant is currently owing 8months rent, when do you think a quit notice should be served to him?

Under Lagos tenancy law, a notice is not even required.
A tenant in arrears for 6 months can be immediately evicted.

However, your brother may want to give him some notice anyway.
>
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by luluosas(m): 12:05pm On Mar 09, 2021
The lawyer and the landlord are both crazy
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by franchasng: 12:06pm On Mar 09, 2021
Deathisfree:
I hail Una wey dey live with landlord. I can’t try such again. Me and my last landlord ended in the police station. I beat the hell out of the idiot
The kingdom of devil suffereth violence my brother and only the bloody like Wakili taketh it by killing shocked

Keep it up, you are doing well brother grin
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by ihedioramma: 12:07pm On Mar 09, 2021
xodyq:
Good morning guys. Is it right for my landlord to give me 6months quit notice (on 8th march) when my rent will be due in 6months time (31st August)??
Is not right but look for another hause and park out at the end of the time he gave you and enjoy your life .

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by 9jaRealist: 12:07pm On Mar 09, 2021
ihedioramma:
Is not right but look for another hause and park out at the end of the time he gave you and enjoy your life .
Lordbukas:
The lawyer who wrote this letter must be a bush man. So unprofessional, how can you issue a notice and still threaten the tenant. A word is enough for the wise is it a threat or an advice? Nonsense, you can reply your landlord and tell him what is right. Though it's cool for you to start looking for another apartment who knows you can even get a better place.

What is “right” is that he has to leave the premises in 6 months...
Agreed the letter is horrible, but it does not affect the SUBSTANTIVE law.
>

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by dipotepede(m): 12:09pm On Mar 09, 2021
AFONJACOW:
The last landlord that did this to me I ended up living in his house for another 2 years without paying a dime, we ending it in court at the end they gave me another extra 6 months Making it 2 years and 6 months I live in his house for free , the money I saved from not paying house rent for 30 months I used it to complete my 4 rooms bungalow and invite him for the opening of my own house... Play the Ediot and his yellowbar charge and bail lawyer

Just because you are lucky to defraud the landlord, does not mean it can apply generally.

However, I doubt your story especially the part where you invited him to your house opening - the landlord must be really slow...

Hyperboles like this have placed a lot of tenants in a really dire situation where they end up losing more than they bargained for.

5 Likes

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by 9jaRealist: 12:12pm On Mar 09, 2021
BluntTheApostle:
Some landlords just like to put everything in writing.

Otherwise, it is not necessary to serve quit notice to a tenant whose tenancy is still active.

What the landlord is trying to communicate to you is that "When your rent is due, I will not be taking another rent from you. You will have to leave my house because I want to make use of it for other purposes".

The reason why some landlords like to give all these unnecessary quit notices is because of some stubborn tenants who would pretend like they didn't know that the landlord had told them that he wanted to reconvert his house.

So, that is why landlords always like to put everything in writing because they are easy to prove in court.

If you are not comfortable with the quit notice, ask to speak with the lawyer who served you. You might make a discreet recording during your meeting with him.

Also, keep the receipt of your rent safe and available.

So that they don't force you to cough out money at the end of the supposed quit notice.

It is necessary to serve notice...
Lagos State tenancy law mandates it.
>
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by berryPee(m): 12:13pm On Mar 09, 2021
Oga landlord travel and see how your fellow house owners are treating their tenants before you start forming boss. BTW I doubt the authenticity of the so called barrister that drafted the letter
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by Donchieli: 12:14pm On Mar 09, 2021
All this people saying refund the six month balance obviously don't knw the tribunal law, if your landlord gives you a quit notice within six months of your rent

He is within the context of the law

For those saying that it has to be after the expiration of your rent

Are you aware that you will pay for that six months grace you are giving and itz not free

The law simply stipulates six months notice
Which can be b4 d expiration of your rent or after and the after is still not free

Thank you

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by udemzyudex(m): 12:15pm On Mar 09, 2021
Nwodosis:
Was it not served in time? You are likely not a good tenant and your landlord has sensed that and wants to be a step ahead of you. You are not bothered about the quit notice but the time that it was served, you want it to be served when your rent has expired to enjoy free accommodation before the expiration of the quit notice.

What are you saying?
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by 9jaRealist: 12:15pm On Mar 09, 2021
Enasuarez:
Don't be moved by that cheap warning from him and his hungry lawyer. Wait till your rent expires on the last day in August. After the expiration, you're entitled to 6months grace, after the 6months elapses, you can take additional 3weeks. Never allow any mugu lawyer intimidate you because you don't know your right. I fought my landlord and his lawyer when they came for quit notice when my rent had not expired just because I told him that he (landlord) has not been paying his NEPA bill and when tents contribute their money for monthly NEPA Bill, he'll collect the money and eats it and when NEPA comes for disconnection, he'll give them #500-1000 for them not to be disconnected. I quoted the tenancy law to the lawyer and explained it to him.....He became dumbfounded. Bro google lagos Tenancy Law and read it just to know your right as a tenant. If you dey do liver cuttage, dem go chop you.
AFONJACOW:
The last landlord that did this to me I ended up living in his house for another 2 years without paying a dime, we ending it in court at the end they gave me another extra 6 months Making it 2 years and 6 months I live in his house for free , the money I saved from not paying house rent for 30 months I used it to complete my 4 rooms bungalow and invite him for the opening of my own house... Play the Ediot and his yellowbar charge and bail lawyer

OP, please do not follow these sorts of “advice” or you may well find yourself out on the streets...
There’s nowhere in the world, Nigeria or Lagos, where you are entitled to 6 months rent-free at the end of your lease term.
>

4 Likes

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by NoToPile: 12:16pm On Mar 09, 2021
Loool

He wants to live in free house that's why he's expecting it at end of tenancy.

Your landlord is simply informing you on time that he is not intending to renew your tenancy. Shikena. You no read your agreement ni

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by darkwan: 12:20pm On Mar 09, 2021
Lordbukas:

what type of lawyer is that....??

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by yomi007k(m): 12:20pm On Mar 09, 2021
christopher123:
THE LAWYER THAT WROTE THIS TRASH ..HOW DID HE GRADUATE?

This is just an intimidation letter

God bless.

I no vex for landlord or Op ....Na the lawyer gan gan be Hoodlum.

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by spinna: 12:22pm On Mar 09, 2021
Nwodosis:
Was it not served in time? You are likely not a good tenant and your landlord has sensed that and wants to be a step ahead of you. You are not bothered about the quit notice but the time that it was served, you want it to be served when your rent has expired to enjoy free accommodation before the expiration of the quit notice.

Also very unethical to post this document without covering the address and names. God deliver us from wicked Tenants. Any wicked tenant should never be able to build their own home (unless they repent)

To answer the question the landlord is in order, he served the quit notice 6 months to the expiry of the tenancy

5 Likes

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by NoToPile: 12:23pm On Mar 09, 2021
Yansham:
The first thing you need to do is refer to your tenancy agreement. Most people do not go through it at all and these landlords do put a loophole there. The loophole is for them to be able to issue you a quit notice six months before the expiration of your rent.

Read below an extract from the tenancy law:

Length of Notice

(1) Where there is no stipulation as to the notice to be given by either party to determine the tenancy, the following shall apply

(a) a week’s notice for a tenant at will;

(b) one (1) month’s notice for a monthly tenant;

(c) three (3) month’s notice for a quarterly tenant;

(d) three (3) month’s notice for a half-yearly tenant; and

(e) six (6) months notice for a yearly tenant.

At the bolded, landlords do insert the notice period. But tenants do not take their time to read it.

People don't know the law most times.

Even a tenant at will would start claiming he wants 6 months ( free rent )notice. Person that his rent has expired ooo lool.

Even the so called 6 months notice is not free, you have to pay for it
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by rajiedreez: 12:24pm On Mar 09, 2021
Tokskob2008:
He has to refund you the balance before the quit notice can be effective, my landlord did exact same thing and we all ended up at the police station where he was told to refund my balance so the notice could be effective or re issue the quit notice when my rent is due. This is usually done by illiterate and greedy landlords, he gave me quit notice in July when my rent expiration was December last year this is March and I'm still there his only prayer now is for me to move out soon as he can't do anything.
your landlord probably didn't have a good legal adviser, in fact the op landlord is correct and acting within his rights

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by darkwan: 12:25pm On Mar 09, 2021
yomi007k:

God bless.

I no vex for landlord or Op ....Na the lawyer gan gan be Hoodlum.

na tout....
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by NoToPile: 12:25pm On Mar 09, 2021
BluntTheApostle:

Some landlords just like to put everything in writing.

Otherwise, it is not necessary to serve quit notice to a tenant whose tenancy is still active.

What the landlord is trying to communicate to you is that "When your rent is due, I will not be taking another rent from you. You will have to leave my house because I want to make use of it for other purposes".

The reason why some landlords like to give all these unnecessary quit notices is because of some stubborn tenants who would pretend like they didn't know that the landlord had told them that he wanted to reconvert his house.

So, that is why landlords always like to put everything in writing because they are easy to prove in court.

If you are not comfortable with the quit notice, ask to speak with the lawyer who served you. You might make a discreet recording during your meeting with him.

Also, keep the receipt of your rent safe and available.

So that they don't force you to cough out money at the end of the supposed quit notice.

You understand the situation perfectly.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by Passionate1(m): 12:25pm On Mar 09, 2021
Darkseid:
I believe you're the illiterate one here; even if your landlord serves you quit notice a week to expiration of your rent, you still have to pay for the extra mind six months, no be you build his house for am.

No mind dem. . They want free 6 months. .like say na dem build d house. .
It's beneficial to work on your mentality/mindset.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by Heavensent01(m): 12:26pm On Mar 09, 2021
I face similar things during the struggle days, my landlord one fúck one of my neighbors, I happened to be the only male tenants in that block but instead for the lady to give him green light, na my flat dem dey enter, he started seeing me as a threat. I've to go and report him at the police station when he gave me 3months notice when my rent is still ahead

the police took a side with him because he was a landlord bla bla, instead of dragging, I just gather myself and leave his house when it had come to him destroying my keys, I don't trust anyone

just find money within that six months and leave his fúcking house, he owned a compound today, you can own an estate tomorrow. don't drag anything with him and follow the rule I followed

thou shall not rent house where landlord is staying, I will never advise my enemy to do that

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by Opus85(m): 12:28pm On Mar 09, 2021
Dear OP, the notice to quit is in order. Notice can also be served to expire at the anniversary of your tenancy. I don't know what transpired or his reason for the quit notice. You all need to be conversant with landlord and tenant laws, I see that most people are ignorant of most of the laws guiding landlords and tenants.

If not for our poor legal system, all these wont be happening. In abroad, once you owe, you would be shut out of water, electricity and taken to court ASAP.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by NoToPile: 12:30pm On Mar 09, 2021
I have to admit that the 'A word is enough for the wise' part got me rolling in laughter.

This should be in Lagos. grin
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by eagleeye2: 12:30pm On Mar 09, 2021
Tokskob2008:
He has to refund you the balance before the quit notice can be effective, my landlord did exact same thing and we all ended up at the police station where he was told to refund my balance so the notice could be effective or re issue the quit notice when my rent is due. This is usually done by illiterate and greedy landlords, he gave me quit notice in July when my rent expiration was Decemb weer last year this is March and I'm still there his only prayer now is for me to move out soon as he can't do anything.
Probably your landlord didn't want to drag issues with you people. Moreover the Nigerian police are very ignorant of what the law says.
You can serve a Notice of Quit before the expiration of an existing rent. So far as adequate Notice was served. Don't get angry. Get a lawyer.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by tosyne2much(m): 12:34pm On Mar 09, 2021
Quelme:
How can he give you a quit notice when you rent is still running

I think there is a loophole somewhere you can exploit to your own advantage. I'm not a lawyer but I strongly believe this isn't right, try seek the opinion of legal luminaries and see if there is a channel you can exploit....

This is intimidation and threat tactics!!!!!
6 months quit notice in lieu of your rent expiration is very valid

Having spent only 6 months out of your one year, your landlord can issue you a 6 month quit notice

Sadly, many people don't know this

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by Perfecttouchade: 12:35pm On Mar 09, 2021
For this country sef...we fabricate quality Aluminium windows , railings etc .. WhatsApp 08153665659.. check out our works
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by moradeke42109: 12:36pm On Mar 09, 2021
The lawyer and the landlord are both crazy
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by onuman: 12:38pm On Mar 09, 2021
Folks, a landlord wrote a tenancy agreement by himself and a tenant signed the agreement.

Is this mutual agreement between the landlord and tenant acceptable in court as tenancy agreement, and can be used to eject the tenant who has since one year refused to pay rent on the house rented to him?
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by Quelme: 12:40pm On Mar 09, 2021
tosyne2much:
6 months quit notice in lieu of your rent is very valid

Having spent only 6 months out of your one year, your landlord can issue you a 6 month quit notice

Sadly, many people don't know this
Okay.

Well noted!!! Thanks!!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

21-Storey Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Lagos. Many Trapped (Video) / How Many Plots Of Land Can We Find In An Acres. Urgent / How Caramelo Lounge Was Demolished In Abuja By FCTA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.