Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,000 members, 7,810,786 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:25 PM

My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time - Properties (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time (61712 Views)

How I Pay My Rent / I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help / My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by Minjim: 1:37pm On Mar 09, 2021
Mushroom lawyers.

This is not a quit notice but a threat.

You even want him to quit the premises b4 the expiration of his rent.

Have your lawyer reply them.

If you have a lawyer friend, have him/ her write a reply for you

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by okine4real: 1:39pm On Mar 09, 2021
AFONJACOW:
The last landlord that did this to me I ended up living in his house for another 2 years without paying a dime, we ending it in court at the end they gave me another extra 6 months Making it 2 years and 6 months I live in his house for free , the money I saved from not paying house rent for 30 months I used it to complete my 4 rooms bungalow and invite him for the opening of my own house... Play the Ediot and his yellowbar charge and bail lawyer

If you are my tenant I know how to deal with you quietly without causing trouble. First I would being my nepa buys and deactivate your prepaid meter, you would not be able to use light. I would not touch the meter, but I know what my NEPA guys would do to the prepaid meter and the meter would not supply light again. As a tenant, you dear not torch my prepaid meter, even if you pay rent eveeyday, you can't touch my prepaid meter. After knocking you off there, I would lock your water, in my house everybody pays service charge, so for you to use water, you must pay service charge, once I have knocked you on this two areas, I will not start dealing with you either via court or using area boys. But the fact is, I don't thing someone like you can even stay in my house because the terms is always high, na only people with good heart fit rent my house. I have a tenant that is yet to pay his rent, but na good guy, even where I stay, I pay rent and I don't boost to my landlord. He has even given me quit notice like twice, I went to his house begging, pleading. Boosting that you stay in someone's house for two years free of charge, is not something you should be saying if Public, you suppose to they shame. Not all landlords are mean, na tenant dey make them mean.

4 Likes

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by Eagba(m): 1:40pm On Mar 09, 2021
normac:

Hi OP, please do not listen to those confidently misadvising you. A preliminary point to note is that it is actually during the lifetime of a tenancy that a landlord should issue a Notice to Quit so that the notice expires at the same time as the tenancy and you do not stay beyond the end of the tenancy. Landlord must not wait until tenancy ends to issue quit notice

Your first port of call should be your lease agreement, that is what governs the length of notice required. Where the Lease Agreement is silent on the issue, then you can fall back and have recourse to the provisions of the law on length of notice. The rule is if you are a yearly tenant (i.e you pay your rent on a yearly basis and not weekly or monthly for example), then you are entitled to six months notice which is to expire on the eve of the end of the tenancy) for example, if you pay your rent yearly on January 1 of every year, your 6 months notice must be such that the 6 month period ends on December 31 of that year.

In your own case currently, if there is nothing different in your lease agreement on length of notice, I will say that your landlord has not issued you with the proper 6 months notice as required by law. What he has actually issued is 5 months notice and same does not even expire on the eve of the anniversary of the tenancy as stipulated by law. As your tenancy expires August 31, he should have given a Notice that will lapse on August 30 and must be 6 months in length, in other words, he should have issued it no later than February 28, anything after that is not up to 6 months notice.

This being said, my humble advice is for you to start looking for alternative accommodation as even if you are able to successfully challenge this notice and stay beyond the date given, once your tenancy expires, you will still be liable to pay the landlord on a pro rated basis, for however long you stayed extra in the property. So to avoid issues you may start looking. However, the choice is entirely yours, seek advice from a good lawyer and do you, all the best.

I y
please I want to know if a landlord can draw up a no contest agreement with a tenant that stipulates that the tenant/ a third party can't Sue him for forceful eviction on expiration of his rent after due notice.
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by Minjim: 1:40pm On Mar 09, 2021
pembisco:

You are the ignorant one. 6 months Quit notice is valid whether your rent expired or not. it simply means the landlord does not want to renew the tenancy...hence the six months advance notice

Lol! Was the landlord drunk when he accepted a year's payment?
By accepting the payment he is obligatory to see through the agreement.
At the end, he can now decide to renew it or not.
You can't stop an ongoing match cos it's not favouring you. It's another one you won't play
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by Eagba(m): 1:43pm On Mar 09, 2021
[quote
normac:

Hi OP, please do not listen to those confidently misadvising you. A preliminary point to note is that it is actually during the lifetime of a tenancy that a landlord should issue a Notice to Quit so that the notice expires at the same time as the tenancy and you do not stay beyond the end of the tenancy. Landlord must not wait until tenancy ends to issue quit notice

Your first port of call should be your lease agreement, that is what governs the length of notice required. Where the Lease Agreement is silent on the issue, then you can fall back and have recourse to the provisions of the law on length of notice. The rule is if you are a yearly tenant (i.e you pay your rent on a yearly basis and not weekly or monthly for example), then you are entitled to six months notice which is to expire on the eve of the end of the tenancy) for example, if you pay your rent yearly on January 1 of every year, your 6 months notice must be such that the 6 month period ends on December 31 of that year.

In your own case currently, if there is nothing different in your lease agreement on length of notice, I will say that your landlord has not issued you with the proper 6 months notice as required by law. What he has actually issued is 5 months notice and same does not even expire on the eve of the anniversary of the tenancy as stipulated by law. As your tenancy expires August 31, he should have given a Notice that will lapse on August 30 and must be 6 months in length, in other words, he should have issued it no later than February 28, anything after that is not up to 6 months notice.

This being said, my humble advice is for you to start looking for alternative accommodation as even if you are able to successfully challenge this notice and stay beyond the date given, once your tenancy expires, you will still be liable to pay the landlord on a pro rated basis, for however long you stayed extra in the property. So to avoid issues you may start looking. However, the choice is entirely yours, seek advice from a good lawyer and do you, all the best.

I y
please I want to know if a landlord can draw up a no contest agreement with a tenant that stipulates that the tenant/ a third party can't Sue him for forceful eviction on expiration of his rent after due notice. post=99739033]

I y [/quote]
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by Nobody: 1:45pm On Mar 09, 2021
CotenantNIG:
get a new apartment
Cost of rent around Lagos
https://cotenant.ng/cost-of-rent-around-lagos/

Thank you very much for this. Been looking for something like this.
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by Minjim: 1:50pm On Mar 09, 2021
xodyq:
Good morning guys. Is it right for my landlord to give me 6months quit notice (on 8th march) when my rent will be due in 6months time (31st August)??

Have your lawyer reply that trash they sent you.

You can only he issued a quit notice at the expiration of your current rent.
Read Lagos law on Quit Notice

https://www.resolutionlawng.com/quit-notice-law-in-nigeria/

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by Gobdddd(m): 1:53pm On Mar 09, 2021
Bro, if I go advise you, start looking for house now.

Simple truth
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by Eagba(m): 1:56pm On Mar 09, 2021
I y [/quote]please I want to know if a landlord can(through a lawyer) draw up a no contest agreement with a tenant that stipulates that the tenant/ a third party can't Sue him for forceful eviction on expiration of his rent after due notice.
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by Gavel(m): 2:02pm On Mar 09, 2021
Eagba:
please I want to know if a landlord can draw up a no contest agreement with a tenant that stipulates that the tenant/ a third party can't Sue him for forceful eviction on expiration of his rent after due notice.
You should consult Lawyer.
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by AFONJACOW(m): 2:03pm On Mar 09, 2021
okine4real:

If you are my tenant I know how to deal with you quietly without causing trouble. First I would being my nepa buys and deactivate your prepaid meter, you would not be able to use light. I would not touch the meter, but I know what my NEPA guys would do to the prepaid meter and the meter would not supply light again. As a tenant, you dear not torch my prepaid meter, even if you pay rent eveeyday, you can't touch my prepaid meter. After knocking you off there, I would lock your water, in my house everybody pays service charge, so for you to use water, you must pay service charge, once I have knocked you on this two areas, I will not start dealing with you either via court or using area boys. But the fact is, I don't thing someone like you can even stay in my house because the terms is always high, na only people with good heart fit rent my house. I have a tenant that is yet to pay his rent, but na good guy, even where I stay, I pay rent and I don't boost to my landlord. He has even given me quit notice like twice, I went to his house begging, pleading. Boosting that you stay in someone's house for two years free of charge, is not something you should be saying if Public, you suppose to they shame. Not all landlords are mean, na tenant dey make them mean.
if you are my landlord you will meet your match, because I live in that building for close to 8 years without paying NEPA bills, my generator I make use of it once in 5 months maybe when I want to use the airC , despite that I dey get light pass NEPA office opposite the place I lived, don't ask me how I achieved that, we are night crawler and can crawl from Lagos to zamfara on a quest to achieve everlasting peace of steady power supplies, don't worry for water supplies my last building has water issues for years so we all fetch water , for me I have aboki I buy weed and food and he fetch water that will last me for a month without me paying him any dime , all he cares is weed and mamaput that's all , for the area boys , I am one of them, infact we turn one room inside the flat to local gym house where they gym and smoke weed , don't even try and bring police my dad is ex service man, my senior bro is also in service, police station is next fence to my house the dpo knw me very well because I arrange girls for him, infact he use to bring them to my house if u invite police nah my own people u dey call to arrest me, I won't even spend more than 1hr at the station, if nah through native doctors, ur name is sorry because my last girlfriend her father is a powerful native doctor from okoni ohafia abia state, those people that use to carry human head when dancing their war music, for her village elephantiasis nah 20 naira , if I buy 100 naira own , ur head go big pass Dubai metro station, if nah fight I go beat you blue and black because am mascular like ozodimgba (chimp) due to years of weight lifting, the best you can do is to pray for me to die so you can take your flat,

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by Gavel(m): 2:04pm On Mar 09, 2021
Eagba:

I y please I want to know if a landlord can(through a lawyer) draw up a no contest agreement with a tenant that stipulates that the tenant/ a third party can't Sue him for forceful eviction on expiration of his rent after due notice.
You should consult a Lawyer
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by Oyiboman69: 2:06pm On Mar 09, 2021
wallay77:

Am pretty sure u v never use money to rent any apartment in ur entire life for spewing this rubbish...nonsense...quit notice when house rent never expire...who does that
no mind the yeye fowl
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by AFONJACOW(m): 2:09pm On Mar 09, 2021
gassbee:
u were just lucky to spend extra free months in his apartment because of a weak and failed judicial system in dat state. Had it been u were in a state where the judicial system is effective. You would have been evicted by d court bailliffs and they will also seize ur property and take them to court for sale
not when I best him in his own game... Nah person wey never do case for Nigeria, case dey fear, no be Nigeria we dey again where case last 2years , if you win after 2years , I apeal if you win appeal, get ready for supreme court by the time u go there twice u go no nah mad man of Lagos with zero chill you are dealing
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by 30naira: 2:16pm On Mar 09, 2021
BabaIjebuXL:

You are not bright. The landlord was trying to be smart, normally a landlord can only issue a quit notice at the expiration of rent. People like you go about normalizing bullshit, one of the reasons why we are not moving forward as a nation. koshidanu

This is absolutely not true! The landlord can issue quit notice at any time, so long the notice is six months, and does not elapse before the expiration of rent. In this case, the landlord is perfectly in order. The tenant will waste his time if he fights it. Read the tenancy laws properly please.

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by dapadawee: 2:26pm On Mar 09, 2021
JosephXavier:
Please also tell us what you did that made him to issue you quit notice thus early

We want to hear both sides of the story
am sure your father or mother is a terrorist landlord must he be wrong before getting a quit notice
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by Oyiboman69: 2:29pm On Mar 09, 2021
bekpo:

Mr man, d six month notice to quit is so in order. U r only in that property because d Landlord doesn't want to eject u, d only notice u r now entitled to is 7 Days Notice of Owners Intention to Recover Property thereafter u will b summoned to d rent control court to give reasons why u couldn't handover vacant possession. Don't take him for a fool rather just thank him for his patience. The reason he had to issue d six month notice was to avoid a situation and he has achieved same.
someone paid his hard earn money to rent an apartment proposed time and he is taking the person for a fool even when it is obvious that his rent is not expired?... I believed you're among those who inherited properties and you not passed through the process of paying rent including the agent fees and the rest....
You even went ahead and said he should be thankful for the early notification...in your world, tenants are slave...what a person....

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by Sachiopropty(m): 2:32pm On Mar 09, 2021
Hello Friend

Lets promote your listings online to close deal Quickly and effortlessly

Sell - Rent your properties online on www.sachiong.com

Rent - Sell quickly and effortlessly

Submit your real estate listings now on https:///iWHZljJgTY
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by letitrainnow(m): 2:35pm On Mar 09, 2021
Okay
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by Yansham: 2:38pm On Mar 09, 2021
okine4real:

Water is one of the amenities in a house that attracts a tenant. The service charge does not apply to water supply. Repair of pumping machine is a different case entirely. My understanding of service charge includes security fee, cleaning of the compound, waste disposal (LAWMA fee).
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by NoToPile: 2:48pm On Mar 09, 2021
Iamdemola1:

I see a lot of comments saying the landlord was right. That's a big lie. I see they don't know about tenement laws, particularly in Lagos. The law empowers tenants a lot. Your landlord cannot give you quit notice unless your rent expires and it must be a 6 months notice so that in that six months, you can get another accommodation. So bro, your landlord and the barrister who signed that are so wrong.

Oya post a section of the law that says your rent must expire before you are given a 6 months notice.

And where in the law is it stated that it Must be a 6 months notice? Shey you know if the rent has expired he is only entitled to 7 days?

Now the OP has been given 6 months notice that his tenancy will not be renewed in order to find another accommodation before the 6 months end. Even if the notice is issued after his rent expired, he has to Pay for the time spent according to that same law you are misquoting.

Is it not the same LAGOS tenancy law we know.

The landlord is not wrong.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by InvertedHammer: 3:08pm On Mar 09, 2021
xodyq:
Good morning guys. Is it right for my landlord to give me 6months quit notice (on 8th march) when my rent will be due in 6months time (31st August)??
/
That's a 6-month advance notice. It is not a quit notice but a friendly reminder as tenants are known to develop partial amnesia when their rent is due.

Good preemptive move by the landlord's team.

/

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by ChiefSweetus: 3:11pm On Mar 09, 2021
wallay77:

Am pretty sure u v never use money to rent any apartment in ur entire life for spewing this rubbish...nonsense...quit notice when house rent never expire...who does that
You're such an entitled dummy.
Better go familiarize yourself with tenancy law and fùck off from that poor man's house.

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by ChiefSweetus: 3:15pm On Mar 09, 2021
AFONJACOW:
not when I best him in his own game... Nah person wey never do case for Nigeria, case dey fear, no be Nigeria we dey again where case last 2years , if you win after 2years , I apeal if you win appeal, get ready for supreme court by the time u go there twice u go no nah mad man of Lagos with zero chill you are dealing
Pesin wey no fit pay rent dey pay for legal service reach Supreme Court grin grin grin grin you broke and entitled people amuse me!

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by gassbee: 3:23pm On Mar 09, 2021
AFONJACOW:
how many tenant and landlord case don reach supreme court before, u no get money to pay rent, u wan go supreme court

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by lawyer(m): 3:24pm On Mar 09, 2021
xodyq:

The Lawyer goofed. The position of the law as regards Quit Notice is very simple. There must be clear 6 months given to the errant tenant the landlord wants to evict before it can be tendered to be valid. If the tenancy period of the tenant is to expire in August, the Quit notice must be given in February so that the Quit notice starts running from March. The lawyer issued the Quit Notice on March 8th so the Quit Notice starts running from April 1st and Terminates in September. It's irrelevant that the Tenant's tenure in the property expires on August 8th. The law is that he must be informed 6 months in advance from the date the Quit notice was issued. The OP can challenge the Quit Notice in Court as being defective and a new Quit Notice must be given to him properly or as the Court decides but as it is, it is a very defective Quit Notice that cannot be tendered in court.

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by Bright2(m): 3:26pm On Mar 09, 2021
angry angry.
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by Doyin2(m): 3:28pm On Mar 09, 2021
Minjim:

Have your lawyer reply that trash they sent you.

You can only he issued a quit notice at the expiration of your current rent.
Read Lagos law on Quit Notice

https://www.resolutionlawng.com/quit-notice-law-in-nigeria/

Are you an illiterate?

The law says the landlord can issue quit notice,except ......

That is if the tenancy had already expired by law or effluxion of time,then no need to issue quit notice.

The law does not in anyway requires a tenant to cheat his landlord by staying extra six months without paying.

No matter what,whether issued before or after expiration of tenancy,the tenant must pay for any excess stay.

The law does not support any free stay whatsoever,it only supports enough time for the tenant to seek alternative.Any excess time must be paid for!

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by Qatar2022: 3:30pm On Mar 09, 2021
Deathisfree:
I hail Una wey dey live with landlord. I can’t try such again. Me and my last landlord ended in the police station. I beat the hell out of the idiot
I pray you build house and have tenants like you

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by Lyon190(m): 3:34pm On Mar 09, 2021
Leave there and come buy a house.
A 3 bedroom flat on a half plot of land for sale in Agbowa, Ogijo,Ikorodu,contact 08084841001 for more info
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by Bright2(m): 3:47pm On Mar 09, 2021
AFONJACOW:
The last landlord that did this to me I ended up living in his house for another 2 years without paying a dime, we ending it in court at the end they gave me another extra 6 months Making it 2 years and 6 months I live in his house for free , the money I saved from not paying house rent for 30 months I used it to complete my 4 rooms bungalow and invite him for the opening of my own house... Play the Ediot and his yellowbar charge and bail lawyer

Even if you are the chief judge handling this case you can't get it the way you stated it here, there's nowhere in Nigeria constitution where rent is free.
The landlord have the right to serve you quit notice either six months before the expiration of your rent to tally and after that, seven days owner's intention or one month after your rent has expired and seven days owner's intention after the one month has expired,after that ,begin to look for a lawyer cos you will be surmon to the court straight if the landlord wish to take the matter further.

Don't insult lawyers, the quit notice was served by a bailleaf not a lawyer, and after the notice expiration that's when lawyers can come in.

Lawyers doesn't serve quit notice unless they do that through a bailleaf from the court of compitent jurisdiction .

After the judgement in a law court you will be mandated to clear your rent outstanding and all the utility bill you acroud during your stay in that apartment.
I'm not a lawyer,
No court will allow you to vacate with all these bills ,if they do who will pay for it? If you try what's on your statement in my apartment my dear,I'll send you 20years backward cos even if you suddenly vacate the apartment I'll not rent the apartment as I'll ask my lawyer to take adjournment and extend that case for 10years in court and after that I must win you then , after that, payment time .

You will then show me in Nigeria constitution where rent is free.

My people, you can only win whereby the landlord refused to go through the right process as stated above but if he does,find your way instead of waisting your time and resources. Your lawyer will always tell you that you have a case just as some people reason on the said matter of cos lawyers need cases to keep the ball rolling.

When you lost the case ,the same lawyer will still ask you to go for appeal by then you will realize your next door neighbor has gone far may be completing his own building and your lawyer will cash out big time, at the end you will vacate that apartment.

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by jamjo: 3:56pm On Mar 09, 2021
Or11:
Mumu tenant, nothing wrong with this. What do you want Nairalanders to do? Give you a free house?

Sorry but there was something wrong with it the date of the vacation, you cannot have lessees that will end on August the 31st, and wanting a tenant to vacate on the 8th no court will allow that the only way will be if the landlord refunds the 23 days rent.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Elegant 3 Bedroom Bungalow Construction On Half Plot - Lekki (with Pictures) / 21-Storey Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Lagos. Many Trapped (Video) / How Many Plots Of Land Can We Find In An Acres. Urgent

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.