Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,564 members, 7,812,829 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:10 PM

I Consented To Sex Because I Like Doing It - 12 Year Old Tells Court - Crime (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / I Consented To Sex Because I Like Doing It - 12 Year Old Tells Court (57602 Views)

Kemi Okunloyo: Sylvester Omoroni Agreed To Join A Gang, Consented To His Beating / Man Slices Daughter’s Throat In Adamawa. Says, ‘I Just Feel Like Doing It’ / "Your Husband Has Been Raping Me" - 16-Year-Old Tells Housewife In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Consented To Sex Because I Like Doing It - 12 Year Old Tells Court by SmartyPants(m): 6:09pm On Mar 25, 2021
Sixfeetbelle:

This was what your initial post implied and exactly why I quoted you. To think you were trying to excuse his depraved behavior with this nerve talk just because a teenager said she enjoyed the sex mortified me greatly.

For what it's worth, I think you're wrong for bringing up this nerve talk in a case such as these. There are other reasons why she said she enjoyed the act, so giving focus on this fact is just helping to push up the pedophilic tendencies in men.

I said what I said to explain that the girl enjoying it is irrelevant to the circumstances. This was necessary because the person I replied to said the girl was senseless for saying she liked it.

The essence of my response was to first say that yes, she could have liked it and therefore saying she enjoyed it was not senseless. And secondly that whether she enjoyed it or not is not relevant.

I expressly said so, in fact, concluding in very plain terms, that the girl is mentally incapable of appreciation of the act and therefore not qualified to consent even if she liked it.

This line of argument is necessary because, one accusing her of being senseless is also accusing been of poor decision making and if you accuse her of poor decision making, you are I PlYing that she was mature enough to understand what was happening.

I'm simply pointing out that the poor girl did nothing wrong.
Re: I Consented To Sex Because I Like Doing It - 12 Year Old Tells Court by koning: 6:11pm On Mar 25, 2021
GeneralPula:

I’ve met 13-14 year old kid doing runs..

There was a time Amosun shutdown a bar in Abeokuta when he passed by and saw crops of small girls staying by road side for hookup..

In the dark old days of Kuramo/Bar beach, Lagos, you would run into 11 to 15 year old girls doing runs with their mother's consent sef.

Lagos was really rotten in those days. Still rotten in some places today.

1 Like

Re: I Consented To Sex Because I Like Doing It - 12 Year Old Tells Court by Sixfeetbelle: 6:23pm On Mar 25, 2021
SmartyPants:

I said what I said to explain that the girl enjoying it is irrelevant to the circumstances. This was necessary because the person I replied to said the girl was senseless for saying she liked it.

The essence of my response was to first say that yes, she could have liked it and therefore saying she enjoyed it was not senseless. And secondly that whether she enjoyed it or not is not relevant.

I expressly said so, in fact, concluding in very plain terms, that the girl is mentally incapable of appreciation of the act and therefore not qualified to consent even if she liked it.

This line of argument is necessary because, one accusing her of being senseless is also accusing been of poor decision making and if you accuse her of poor decision making, you are I PlYing that she was mature enough to understand what was happening.

I'm simply pointing out that the poor girl did nothing wrong.

I understand you, but, I'm only saying that, in this case, ignorance is bliss.

There was no need to point out that she may have enjoyed it, as even the law will insist she didn't. If they say she's senseless for her statement, let's accept it and move on. Trying to clarify that opinion will give armour to the wrong-minded individuals
Re: I Consented To Sex Because I Like Doing It - 12 Year Old Tells Court by Thomthom(m): 7:31pm On Mar 25, 2021
This arrest and jail only work here... But it is a way of life in other part of Nigeria....Hypocrite everywhere
Re: I Consented To Sex Because I Like Doing It - 12 Year Old Tells Court by Nobody: 7:43pm On Mar 25, 2021
Not surprised, goto orazi, rumuola, borokiri you will underaged girls selling their bodies.

Its a common thing in PH, these girls end up becoming single mothers raising wayward children.
Re: I Consented To Sex Because I Like Doing It - 12 Year Old Tells Court by Nobody: 7:46pm On Mar 25, 2021
lilvicky68:
I'm not surprised..my colleague once told me how a 13 year old girl handled him very well on bed.. thank God she didn't say its rape because these girls like that rape format..

All these una quote dey meaningless when there's no evidence of anything..lol..even the guy wey tell me you think say I believe am?

I know say most people for nairaland no get sense but na today I confirm am...somebody said a 13yr old handled him well..then you expected me to arrest him or what? When I don't even know where and when it happened or if he's just catching cruise with us..
Don't Worry Someone Would Do Dsame To Ur 13years Old Daughter.
Re: I Consented To Sex Because I Like Doing It - 12 Year Old Tells Court by lilvicky68(m): 7:48pm On Mar 25, 2021
Truvel:
Don't Worry Someone Would Do Dsame To Ur 13years Old Daughter.
Mtcheww..go and sleep Sir I know you're tired from today's stress

2 Likes

Re: I Consented To Sex Because I Like Doing It - 12 Year Old Tells Court by 62ss: 8:06pm On Mar 25, 2021
ridwanlawal:
Was it by FORCE or by CHOICE.

Daughter of Jezebel and son of Lucifer
shut up
Re: I Consented To Sex Because I Like Doing It - 12 Year Old Tells Court by anaytomi: 8:19pm On Mar 25, 2021
Kriss216:
I've said this before and I'll keep saying it...

The sensible Nigerian girls died during the civil war!

Uncle what of Ngozi Okonjo Iweala and many others that survived the war
Re: I Consented To Sex Because I Like Doing It - 12 Year Old Tells Court by ridwanlawal: 8:45pm On Mar 25, 2021
62ss:
shut up
Ogbeni KOSHIDANU
Re: I Consented To Sex Because I Like Doing It - 12 Year Old Tells Court by MarieSucre(f): 8:47pm On Mar 25, 2021
lilvicky68:

Mtcheww..you just wasted words and space

I ain't reading that. Good luck.
Re: I Consented To Sex Because I Like Doing It - 12 Year Old Tells Court by Bimpe29: 8:52pm On Mar 25, 2021
opsyswagger:
Which kind wahala be this

End times is near angry
Near ke? It's really here already.
Re: I Consented To Sex Because I Like Doing It - 12 Year Old Tells Court by lilvicky68(m): 8:55pm On Mar 25, 2021
MarieSucre:

I ain't reading that. Good luck.
Goodnight
Re: I Consented To Sex Because I Like Doing It - 12 Year Old Tells Court by calcal: 12:38am On Mar 26, 2021
adadike:
If she likes doing it, how come she is a virgin when he eloped with her? Biko this is the list of my worries. Both of them should remain in prison while I appeal to our parents to please train our sisters well. Train them morally , physically and spiritually and watch them like a hawk. Honestly, my future daughter should get ready o . I won't breath down your neck but I will train you well and watch you like a mother hawk and leave the rest for God

adadike sure say you didn't bleep at 12.
Re: I Consented To Sex Because I Like Doing It - 12 Year Old Tells Court by adadike(f): 12:48am On Mar 26, 2021
calcal:

adadike sure say you didn't bleep at 12.
At that age, I was still attending block rosary with my big sisters , learning to cook and playing with toys. No time for nonsense
Re: I Consented To Sex Because I Like Doing It - 12 Year Old Tells Court by Roh50(f): 2:52am On Mar 26, 2021
Sex! Sex!! Everywhere. Most children are already expose to sex from everything that happens around. The human race needs overhauling
Re: I Consented To Sex Because I Like Doing It - 12 Year Old Tells Court by Duplexxx: 3:42am On Mar 26, 2021
Which kind country be dis sef
Re: I Consented To Sex Because I Like Doing It - 12 Year Old Tells Court by Chigold101(m): 7:13am On Mar 26, 2021
cococandy:
What kind of conversations are you having with a 12 year old that made her comfortable to ask you that? undecided

Dear no conversation o.

I mean no conversation...

That was why I was shocked to the bone
Re: I Consented To Sex Because I Like Doing It - 12 Year Old Tells Court by 9jaRealist: 9:48am On Mar 26, 2021
lilvicky68:
I'm not surprised..my colleague once told me how a 13 year old girl handled him very well on bed.. thank God she didn't say its rape because these girls like that rape format..

All these una quote dey meaningless when there's no evidence of anything..lol..even the guy wey tell me you think say I believe am?

I know say most people for nairaland no get sense but na today I confirm am...somebody said a 13yr old handled him well..then you expected me to arrest him or what? When I don't even know where and when it happened or if he's just catching cruise with us..

Abegi, are you arguing you’re too dumb to understand that your friend confessed to being a PAEDOPHILE (and committing a crime)... embarassed
>
Re: I Consented To Sex Because I Like Doing It - 12 Year Old Tells Court by 9jaRealist: 9:55am On Mar 26, 2021
Chigold101:
I don't know if you are a guy or a girl, but a 12 years old girl once asked if I could take her to cloud 10.
Fear gripped me and she called me a weak man.
I accepted the name and ran for my life. But till now the shock is making me to shiver anytime I remember that incident.

So before you accuse people think twice

Even if a 12-year-old had come in naked and asked you to take her to cloud million...
If you have intercourse with a 12-year-old, you would not only be a PAEDOPHILE but a criminal.

These cases are effectively “statutory” rape, so it doesn’t matter if she came on to you...
The reason that contracts by minors are unenforceable is that by law minors cannot grant CONSENT.

>
Re: I Consented To Sex Because I Like Doing It - 12 Year Old Tells Court by Chigold101(m): 1:06pm On Mar 26, 2021
9jaRealist:

Even if a 12-year-old had come in naked and asked you to take her to cloud million...
If you have intercourse with a 12-year-old, you would not only be a PAEDOPHILE but a criminal.

These cases are effectively “statutory” rape, so it doesn’t matter if she came on to you...
The reason that contracts by minors are unenforceable is that by law minors cannot grant CONSENT.

>
The word minor only make meaning in southern Nigeria.
The word minor is only used in southern Nigeria.

Those guys that gets married to minors in the North, who has punished them?

In Nigeria there are laws for the South end another law for the North.

I won't consent to have sex with any girl old, young or a minor because that's me not because of any law.

If I were to be from the sex having gang, I would have laid the girl because nothing will happen and she is the bold type, she would defend the act.

Like the girl in this thread, don't you know the magistrate would be confused on this issue. Because for the girl to boldly say she love sex means the guy didn't rape her and the guy probably isn't the first to have sex with her

Then coming back to the girl in my own story, I tried finding out what's wrong with her, I discovered that was a bisexual. She was bursty and look 18 or more, she was already known to have led many girls and boys (older and younger).

I tried talking to her anyway but when her mother's name came into the picture, I got weak. I know there's nothing much I could do.
If it were to be now, I would have linked her up with some counselors or therapists.
Re: I Consented To Sex Because I Like Doing It - 12 Year Old Tells Court by Haaj: 3:51pm On Mar 26, 2021
[I am not idiot but the reverse is the case
You should be worried that the mother of your god Mary was married off at the age of 12 to a 90 years old man or rather your worry should be channelled to the age at which the mother of your god gave birth to your god.
Morally decripit soul..

READ BELOW ABOUT YOUR SLAVE MASTERS EXPLOITS OF UNDER AGE GIRLS.... MUMU

Because of ignorance and hatred you will see bunch of uninformed people when ever an issue of under age marriage took place in the north, they will abuse Islam and Muslims for been backward etc, but they don't see any thing wrong when their underage daughters and sisters are taken out for sexual outings in the name of 'boy friend/girl friend' or prostitution , they have no problem seeing their little daughter or sister having sex in the street with a stranger and come back to them crying with baby in hand, very pathetic form of reasoning, I wonder why a normal person will not be comfortable with a legal underage marriage with consent from all parties concerned but will be comfortable seeing his underage daughter or sister fucking around to the extent of bearing a bastard through friendship or prostitution. Leave Islam and Muslims alone.
Even those nation's you consider civilised and you look forward to emulate are practicing underage marriage, an example is the United States of America, it is even widely spread over there, not that alone but underage marriage is backed by their laws, the Constitution, in some states in the US a person can marry a girl even below the age of 12 with the consent of her parents and a judge ,
you people need to enlighten yourselves with knowledge of other peoples' cultures and don't allow yourselves to be brain washed by mere media propaganda.
If you people should read more and become constructive in your criticism of Islam you would find yourselves neck deep in what you accuse others of practicing.
Read the articles below and get informed .

Unchainedatlast.org

About Child Marriage
Unchained started and now leads a growing national movement to end child marriage in the U.S.

Child marriage, or marriage before 18, was legal in all 50 U.S. states. Thanks to Unchained’s relentless advocacy, that is changing. Delaware and New Jersey in 2018 became the first two states to end this human-rights abuse, followed by American Samoa in 2018 and the U.S. Virgin Islands, Pennsylvania and Minnesota in 2020.

However, child marriage remains legal in 46 states and is happening in the U.S. at an alarming rate: Unchained’s groundbreaking research revealed that nearly a quarter-million children as young as 12 were married in the U.S. between 2000 and 2010 – mostly girls wed to adult men.

Wbur.org

CHILD MARRIAGE IN THE USA

On pushing for legislative change in New Jersey

"We thought, last year, that New Jersey was going to be our first victory. I worked personally for two years to get that bill through with strong bipartisan support. Nobody objected to this bill. It was a really popular bill. Gov. [Chris] Christie claimed that the reason he did this was that ending child marriage would somehow interfere with religious customs in this state. But I publicly challenged Gov. Christie to name a single religion that requires child marriage and he still has not responded. In fact, religious leaders from many different faiths came out in support of the bill to end child marriage, in New Jersey and in other states. I had no idea what Christie was thinking other than there was some other reason that he did it. And, in fact, he later admitted that the reason he did it was because he was lobbied by an anti-choice group that was concerned that ending child marriage would somehow increase abortion rates, which is absurd. There's no study that has ever shown that."

"Of the countless survivors we've worked with, who went in front of a judge and went through a judicial review process before being forced to marry, not a single one of them ever felt safe enough to tell the judge what was actually happening."
FRAIDY REISS
On how widespread child marriage is

"For a long time, nobody knew the full extent of America's child marriage problem. But we at Unchained At Last recently undertook this groundbreaking research project. We retrieved marriage license data from across the U.S. What we discovered is 12 states, unfortunately, don't even track the data. But in the other 38 U.S. states, in just the decade, 2000 to 2010, more than 167,000 children as young as 12 were married. Almost all of them were girls married to adult men."

On whether this is related to religion or not

"The data that we retrieved from across the U.S. did not include identifying information about the children who were married, for the most part. So we don't know from the data why they were married or whether they were from specific religions. We know from the women and girls who reach out to us that this is happening in every major religion, in minor religions and in secular backgrounds."

On loopholes that let child marriage go forward

"Usually in those cases where a judge's approval is required, that goes along with parental consent, which, unfortunately, we know is often parental coercion. But what typically happens is the child — it's usually a girl, almost all the children who marry in the U.S. are girls — that girl who is being married off is effectively disempowered throughout this process, because it's a judge and her parents who are making these decisions for her. So, unfortunately, in many states legislators assume that if a judge is involved in the process that that's somehow protecting children and preventing forced child marriages, where, in fact, what we know from the many survivors that we've worked with, is that of the countless survivors we've worked with, who went in front of a judge and went through a judicial review process before being forced to marry, not a single one of them ever felt safe enough to tell the judge what was actually happening. Every single one lied to the judge and then forever felt somehow complicit in her own forced marriage. Which means rape on her wedding night, rape repeatedly thereafter, pulled out of high school, her hopes and dreams for the future gone."

On her personal experience

"I didn't have reproductive rights. I had no financial rights, not allowed to work, maintain my own bank account or credit card. It took me 12 years to get out of that marriage. And when I finally escaped with my two daughters, out of this abusive marriage, my family shunned me. They punished me for leaving by declaring me dead. But after I got out, managed to rebuild my life as a dead woman, after my family had declared me dead. I founded Unchained At Last to help other women who are escaping from a forced marriage, either trying to say no to a forced marriage before it happened, or trying to escape from one after it already happened. And at Unchained At Last, we're almost always able to help the women 18 or older who call to beg for help in this traumatic situation.

"I have had almost no contact with my family, with a couple of exceptions. But they still consider me dead. It's been 13 years now."

This segment aired on May 24, 2018.

Related:
Delaware Expected To Be The First State To Ban Child Marriage Outright
The Loopholes That Allow Child Marriage In The U.S.
The Joy Of Leaving An Arranged Marriage — And The Cost
Kentucky Votes To Ban Child Marriage
Support the news

Teenvogue.com

SUBSCRIBE

POLITICS
Child Marriage and Religion in the United States
No major religion “actually promotes child marriage," experts say.
Ashley Belanger
SEPTEMBER 07, 2017
Image may contain: Rug
Tallulah Fontaine
Wedlocked is a Teen Vogue series about child marriage in the United States that examines the history of the practice and its modern reality, as all 50 states have laws with provisions that that allow people under 18 to marry.

It's likely that some Americans assume child marriage happens only in developing nations, where one in three girls are married before 18. But it happens around the world, among people of different faiths, and in secular homes. It happens across the United States, where religion can play a unique role in preserving the practice of child marriage — it’s at once a reason some minors are forced to marry early, and also why some lawmakers insist the law must not be changed to end the coercion.

In May, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie vetoed a bill that would have ended legal child marriage in his state, in part because he said that he believed it would violate religious customs. “I agree that protecting the well-being, dignity, and freedom of minors is vital, but the severe bar this bill creates is not necessary to address the concerns voiced by the bill’s proponents and does not comport with the sensibilities and, in some cases, the religious customs, of the people of this State,” he said. In New Jersey, the law remains that minors can marry with parental consent at 16, and anyone younger can marry with consent of both parents and a judge’s approval.

Between 2000 and 2015, there were at least 207,468 marriages involving minors in the United States, according to figures from PBS's Frontline. Marriage involving minors — which most often involves young girls and older men — doesn’t always occur due to strict interpretations of religious custom. Jeanne Smoot, Senior Counsel for Policy and Strategy with the national organization Tahirih Justice Center, said the non-profit has examined more than 500 child and adult forced marriage cases in the U.S., and she tells Teen Vogue that no major religion “actually promotes child marriage.”

A National Marriage Survey conducted by Tahirih in 2011 recorded responses from girls involved in child marriages from Hindu, Buddhist, Catholic, Baptist, Muslim, and other faiths. Advocacy organization Unchained At Last, which helps victims of forced marriage, has suggested that the practice is pervasive across faiths. Perhaps that's why lawmakers continue to bow to certain traditions.

Amanda Norejko is Matrimonial and Economic Justice Project Director with Sanctuary for Families, a legal organization that works with Tahirih and provides legal counsel and advocacy for diverse communities dealing with gender violence in New York, and she agrees with Smoot’s assessment. “We’ve actually seen this phenomenon across a number of different religions,” she tells Teen Vogue. “We’ve worked with Orthodox Jewish clients, with Christian clients, clients from a lot of different religious backgrounds for whom their communities and their families have a tradition of early marriage.”

“It isn’t exclusive to the Muslim population,” she says, negating the notion that child marriage is only an issue among those who practice Islam.

Norejko worked on a coalition that recently revised the language used for New York’s updated marriage law, raising the minimum age to marry to 17 with written judicial and parental consent. “New York has a very diverse population. We have some communities where child marriage is common, and we were really trying to make sure that we addressed their needs,” she says. Their goal was to “be culturally competent and respectful of different cultures while at the same time, not using those cultures as an excuse to allow people to be victimized, particularly minors.”

In New Jersey, the bill struck down by Christie would set 18 as the minimum age to marry in the state, with no exceptions. “It was a really strong bill that would’ve ended all marriage before 18,” Fraidy Reiss, Founder and Executive Director of Unchained At Last, tells Teen Vogue. Her organization advocates on behalf of victims of forced marriage, and she was directly involved in introducing the legislation in New Jersey, even providing testimony that influenced the judicial committee that ultimately helped the bill advance through the New Jersey Senate. Her bill passed both houses, and she says it had the support of religious groups in the state. “It would’ve made New Jersey the first state to do so,” she says.

So when Christie vetoed the bill, saying its protections created a “severe bar,” Reiss challenged the governor to name the religious groups whose customs the bill violated. She did not receive a response. As of this writing, a request by Teen Vogue for comment from Christie’s office was also unreturned.

According to Smoot, it’s not necessarily religious institutions that condone or promote child marriage, but parents working to safeguard a moral standard. “In some cases, we’ve seen families use religious guilt-tripping to pressure a girl to marry – for example, threats that God will condemn them or that the congregation or community will shun them if they do not marry,” she says.

“While marriage before a certain age is not a religious requirement, some religious sects do promote marrying earlier rather than later, in order to pre-empt and prevent sexual relations outside of marriage,” she explains. This may be true in many faiths, including Muslim, Jewish and Christian communities.

Unchained At Last, Sanctuary for Families, and Tahirih Justice Center work together to provide services to victims of forced marriages in all communities. They also partner to change laws, and Reiss plans to continue pushing for stricter laws in her home state of New Jersey despite the recent defeat. She says the bill's sponsors have already promised to reintroduce it in January. “Even if Governor Christie found some weird religious cult somewhere that insists on marrying off children when they’re 12 and sacrificing virgins every Wednesday, even if he found that religion, this bill still is Constitutional,” Reiss says. “And Governor Christie had absolutely no reason to veto it.”

If you are facing or fleeing a forced marriage or know someone who is, contact the Tahirih Justice Center’s Forced Marriage Initiative to get help at fmi@tahirih.org. Visit preventforcedmarriage.org to find out more.

Related: Child Marriage in the United States, Explained

I Was Married at 14

Enter e-mail address
Submit
Will be used in accordance with our Privacy Policy

Related
Rep. Kyrsten Sinema, D-Ariz., walks down the House steps after the last vote of the week on Friday, Sept. 7, 2018
The Democratic Party Has a Feminism Problem

Palm trees on Guam
There Are No Abortion Providers in Guam — But We're Going to Fix That

Person at the doctor
The Pandemic Is Making it Even Harder for Queer Youth to Get Health Care

students holding "#metoo" signs
How President Biden Can Change Title IX to Protect Sexual Assault Survivors

© Condé Nast 2021

quote author=Starzo post=100201364]
see this idiot indirectly supporting pedophilia

at least you've seen Southerners here condemning it but you people openly support destroying the life of premature girls.
I spit on pedophilic terrorists[/quote]
Re: I Consented To Sex Because I Like Doing It - 12 Year Old Tells Court by Haaj: 4:05pm On Mar 26, 2021
[I am not idiot but the reverse is the case
You saidi can see Southerners condemning it ,look at yourself shameless lot, the question here is don't you Southerners have the habit of fucking minors ? If you are sincere to yourself you will definitely agree with me.
You should be worried that the mother of your god Mary was married off at the age of 12 to a 90 years old man or rather your worry should be channelled to the age at which the mother of your god gave birth to your god.
Morally decripit soul..

READ BELOW ABOUT YOUR SLAVE MASTERS EXPLOITS OF UNDER AGE GIRLS.... MUMU

Because of ignorance and hatred you will see bunch of uninformed people when ever an issue of under age marriage took place in the north, they will abuse Islam and Muslims for been backward etc, but they don't see any thing wrong when their underage daughters and sisters are taken out for sexual outings in the name of 'boy friend/girl friend' or prostitution , they have no problem seeing their little daughter or sister having sex in the street with a stranger and come back to them crying with baby in hand, very pathetic form of reasoning, I wonder why a normal person will not be comfortable with a legal underage marriage with consent from all parties concerned but will be comfortable seeing his underage daughter or sister fucking around to the extent of bearing a bastard through friendship or prostitution. Leave Islam and Muslims alone.
Even those nation's you consider civilised and you look forward to emulate are practicing underage marriage, an example is the United States of America, it is even widely spread over there, not that alone but underage marriage is backed by their laws, the Constitution, in some states in the US a person can marry a girl even below the age of 12 with the consent of her parents and a judge ,
you people need to enlighten yourselves with knowledge of other peoples' cultures and don't allow yourselves to be brain washed by mere media propaganda.
If you people should read more and become constructive in your criticism of Islam you would find yourselves neck deep in what you accuse others of practicing.
Read the articles below and get informed .

Unchainedatlast.org

About Child Marriage
Unchained started and now leads a growing national movement to end child marriage in the U.S.

Child marriage, or marriage before 18, was legal in all 50 U.S. states. Thanks to Unchained’s relentless advocacy, that is changing. Delaware and New Jersey in 2018 became the first two states to end this human-rights abuse, followed by American Samoa in 2018 and the U.S. Virgin Islands, Pennsylvania and Minnesota in 2020.

However, child marriage remains legal in 46 states and is happening in the U.S. at an alarming rate: Unchained’s groundbreaking research revealed that nearly a quarter-million children as young as 12 were married in the U.S. between 2000 and 2010 – mostly girls wed to adult men.

Wbur.org

CHILD MARRIAGE IN THE USA

On pushing for legislative change in New Jersey

"We thought, last year, that New Jersey was going to be our first victory. I worked personally for two years to get that bill through with strong bipartisan support. Nobody objected to this bill. It was a really popular bill. Gov. [Chris] Christie claimed that the reason he did this was that ending child marriage would somehow interfere with religious customs in this state. But I publicly challenged Gov. Christie to name a single religion that requires child marriage and he still has not responded. In fact, religious leaders from many different faiths came out in support of the bill to end child marriage, in New Jersey and in other states. I had no idea what Christie was thinking other than there was some other reason that he did it. And, in fact, he later admitted that the reason he did it was because he was lobbied by an anti-choice group that was concerned that ending child marriage would somehow increase abortion rates, which is absurd. There's no study that has ever shown that."

"Of the countless survivors we've worked with, who went in front of a judge and went through a judicial review process before being forced to marry, not a single one of them ever felt safe enough to tell the judge what was actually happening."
FRAIDY REISS
On how widespread child marriage is

"For a long time, nobody knew the full extent of America's child marriage problem. But we at Unchained At Last recently undertook this groundbreaking research project. We retrieved marriage license data from across the U.S. What we discovered is 12 states, unfortunately, don't even track the data. But in the other 38 U.S. states, in just the decade, 2000 to 2010, more than 167,000 children as young as 12 were married. Almost all of them were girls married to adult men."

On whether this is related to religion or not

"The data that we retrieved from across the U.S. did not include identifying information about the children who were married, for the most part. So we don't know from the data why they were married or whether they were from specific religions. We know from the women and girls who reach out to us that this is happening in every major religion, in minor religions and in secular backgrounds."

On loopholes that let child marriage go forward

"Usually in those cases where a judge's approval is required, that goes along with parental consent, which, unfortunately, we know is often parental coercion. But what typically happens is the child — it's usually a girl, almost all the children who marry in the U.S. are girls — that girl who is being married off is effectively disempowered throughout this process, because it's a judge and her parents who are making these decisions for her. So, unfortunately, in many states legislators assume that if a judge is involved in the process that that's somehow protecting children and preventing forced child marriages, where, in fact, what we know from the many survivors that we've worked with, is that of the countless survivors we've worked with, who went in front of a judge and went through a judicial review process before being forced to marry, not a single one of them ever felt safe enough to tell the judge what was actually happening. Every single one lied to the judge and then forever felt somehow complicit in her own forced marriage. Which means rape on her wedding night, rape repeatedly thereafter, pulled out of high school, her hopes and dreams for the future gone."

On her personal experience

"I didn't have reproductive rights. I had no financial rights, not allowed to work, maintain my own bank account or credit card. It took me 12 years to get out of that marriage. And when I finally escaped with my two daughters, out of this abusive marriage, my family shunned me. They punished me for leaving by declaring me dead. But after I got out, managed to rebuild my life as a dead woman, after my family had declared me dead. I founded Unchained At Last to help other women who are escaping from a forced marriage, either trying to say no to a forced marriage before it happened, or trying to escape from one after it already happened. And at Unchained At Last, we're almost always able to help the women 18 or older who call to beg for help in this traumatic situation.

"I have had almost no contact with my family, with a couple of exceptions. But they still consider me dead. It's been 13 years now."

This segment aired on May 24, 2018.

Related:
Delaware Expected To Be The First State To Ban Child Marriage Outright
The Loopholes That Allow Child Marriage In The U.S.
The Joy Of Leaving An Arranged Marriage — And The Cost
Kentucky Votes To Ban Child Marriage
Support the news

Teenvogue.com

SUBSCRIBE

POLITICS
Child Marriage and Religion in the United States
No major religion “actually promotes child marriage," experts say.
Ashley Belanger
SEPTEMBER 07, 2017
Image may contain: Rug
Tallulah Fontaine
Wedlocked is a Teen Vogue series about child marriage in the United States that examines the history of the practice and its modern reality, as all 50 states have laws with provisions that that allow people under 18 to marry.

It's likely that some Americans assume child marriage happens only in developing nations, where one in three girls are married before 18. But it happens around the world, among people of different faiths, and in secular homes. It happens across the United States, where religion can play a unique role in preserving the practice of child marriage — it’s at once a reason some minors are forced to marry early, and also why some lawmakers insist the law must not be changed to end the coercion.

In May, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie vetoed a bill that would have ended legal child marriage in his state, in part because he said that he believed it would violate religious customs. “I agree that protecting the well-being, dignity, and freedom of minors is vital, but the severe bar this bill creates is not necessary to address the concerns voiced by the bill’s proponents and does not comport with the sensibilities and, in some cases, the religious customs, of the people of this State,” he said. In New Jersey, the law remains that minors can marry with parental consent at 16, and anyone younger can marry with consent of both parents and a judge’s approval.

Between 2000 and 2015, there were at least 207,468 marriages involving minors in the United States, according to figures from PBS's Frontline. Marriage involving minors — which most often involves young girls and older men — doesn’t always occur due to strict interpretations of religious custom. Jeanne Smoot, Senior Counsel for Policy and Strategy with the national organization Tahirih Justice Center, said the non-profit has examined more than 500 child and adult forced marriage cases in the U.S., and she tells Teen Vogue that no major religion “actually promotes child marriage.”

A National Marriage Survey conducted by Tahirih in 2011 recorded responses from girls involved in child marriages from Hindu, Buddhist, Catholic, Baptist, Muslim, and other faiths. Advocacy organization Unchained At Last, which helps victims of forced marriage, has suggested that the practice is pervasive across faiths. Perhaps that's why lawmakers continue to bow to certain traditions.

Amanda Norejko is Matrimonial and Economic Justice Project Director with Sanctuary for Families, a legal organization that works with Tahirih and provides legal counsel and advocacy for diverse communities dealing with gender violence in New York, and she agrees with Smoot’s assessment. “We’ve actually seen this phenomenon across a number of different religions,” she tells Teen Vogue. “We’ve worked with Orthodox Jewish clients, with Christian clients, clients from a lot of different religious backgrounds for whom their communities and their families have a tradition of early marriage.”

“It isn’t exclusive to the Muslim population,” she says, negating the notion that child marriage is only an issue among those who practice Islam.

Norejko worked on a coalition that recently revised the language used for New York’s updated marriage law, raising the minimum age to marry to 17 with written judicial and parental consent. “New York has a very diverse population. We have some communities where child marriage is common, and we were really trying to make sure that we addressed their needs,” she says. Their goal was to “be culturally competent and respectful of different cultures while at the same time, not using those cultures as an excuse to allow people to be victimized, particularly minors.”

In New Jersey, the bill struck down by Christie would set 18 as the minimum age to marry in the state, with no exceptions. “It was a really strong bill that would’ve ended all marriage before 18,” Fraidy Reiss, Founder and Executive Director of Unchained At Last, tells Teen Vogue. Her organization advocates on behalf of victims of forced marriage, and she was directly involved in introducing the legislation in New Jersey, even providing testimony that influenced the judicial committee that ultimately helped the bill advance through the New Jersey Senate. Her bill passed both houses, and she says it had the support of religious groups in the state. “It would’ve made New Jersey the first state to do so,” she says.

So when Christie vetoed the bill, saying its protections created a “severe bar,” Reiss challenged the governor to name the religious groups whose customs the bill violated. She did not receive a response. As of this writing, a request by Teen Vogue for comment from Christie’s office was also unreturned.

According to Smoot, it’s not necessarily religious institutions that condone or promote child marriage, but parents working to safeguard a moral standard. “In some cases, we’ve seen families use religious guilt-tripping to pressure a girl to marry – for example, threats that God will condemn them or that the congregation or community will shun them if they do not marry,” she says.

“While marriage before a certain age is not a religious requirement, some religious sects do promote marrying earlier rather than later, in order to pre-empt and prevent sexual relations outside of marriage,” she explains. This may be true in many faiths, including Muslim, Jewish and Christian communities.

Unchained At Last, Sanctuary for Families, and Tahirih Justice Center work together to provide services to victims of forced marriages in all communities. They also partner to change laws, and Reiss plans to continue pushing for stricter laws in her home state of New Jersey despite the recent defeat. She says the bill's sponsors have already promised to reintroduce it in January. “Even if Governor Christie found some weird religious cult somewhere that insists on marrying off children when they’re 12 and sacrificing virgins every Wednesday, even if he found that religion, this bill still is Constitutional,” Reiss says. “And Governor Christie had absolutely no reason to veto it.”

If you are facing or fleeing a forced marriage or know someone who is, contact the Tahirih Justice Center’s Forced Marriage Initiative to get help at fmi@tahirih.org. Visit preventforcedmarriage.org to find out more.

Related: Child Marriage in the United States, Explained

I Was Married at 14

Enter e-mail address
Submit
Will be used in accordance with our Privacy Policy

Related
Rep. Kyrsten Sinema, D-Ariz., walks down the House steps after the last vote of the week on Friday, Sept. 7, 2018
The Democratic Party Has a Feminism Problem

Palm trees on Guam
There Are No Abortion Providers in Guam — But We're Going to Fix That

Person at the doctor
The Pandemic Is Making it Even Harder for Queer Youth to Get Health Care

students holding "#metoo" signs
How President Biden Can Change Title IX to Protect Sexual Assault Survivors

© Condé Nast 2021

quote author=Starzo post=100201364]

at least you've seen Southerners here condemning it but you people openly support destroying the life of premature girls.
I spit on pedophilic terrorists[/quote]
(Modify) (Quote) (Report) (Share)

Starzo:

I spit on pedophilic terrorists
Re: I Consented To Sex Because I Like Doing It - 12 Year Old Tells Court by Mrtaye: 3:03pm On Mar 29, 2021
Rickbronz:
you can contact me via my signature
I have tried contacting you no response
Re: I Consented To Sex Because I Like Doing It - 12 Year Old Tells Court by Rawhumper(m): 2:47pm On Mar 04, 2022
Hey like seriously?

Its been a long time.....here I am.

qu��ote author=adadike

post=100191701]If she likes doing it, how come she is a virgin when he eloped with her? Biko this is the list of my worries. Both of them should remain in prison while I appeal to our parents to please train our sisters well. Train them morally , physically and spiritually and watch them like a hawk. Honestly, my future daughter should get ready o . I won't breath down your neck but I will train you well and watch you like a mother hawk and leave the rest for God[/quote]

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Man Scams People By Sending Them Airtime In Ondo State (Photos) / Obinwanne Okeke (Invictus Obi) Sentenced To 10 Years In Prison / A man was disgraced by a sex worker at Ajao estate, Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.