Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,425 members, 7,819,549 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:55 PM

How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? - Jobs/Vacancies (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? (33355 Views)

"I Met My Engineering Classmate Riding Keke Five Years After Graduation" / Lady Quits Bank Job After Getting Offer In Dubai, Gets There & Told No More Work / 15k Salary Job....life After Graduation Is Hell (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by womenareapes1: 10:36pm On Mar 29, 2021
Scarfin:

Keep doing what you said you're doing.

But please don't pray like the formal sort of way if u want radical result.

Talk to God in a way that will make God, do "huh who's talking like this!!?"

Ask God questions if u like, pray while your lying down or bathing and while pooing...

Your mum's prayer will do very little for you except YOURS.

Also watch what u say to YOURSELF.
Never ever say negative stuffs to yourself...

From the way sound, you want an independent life not being subservient to a man to get a life.
Good news! You can get!
Tell it to God first.
Make it heart to heart talk.
Remember, in ur situation, very formal prayer is of little use.
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP AND LET ANY HELPER WHO COMES ACROSS YOU SEE YOU WANT A LIFE NOT PIES.
oga the simple truths is that the just shall work by faith!

you have to apply faith in every danm situation on this life! undecided
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by niyidenrele: 10:38pm On Mar 29, 2021
10 years, and still counting
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by seyz91(m): 10:39pm On Mar 29, 2021
Truth of the matter is

not everyone will be an employer of labour

some are meant to be labourer(employee) to serve others for sometime and some are just

business owner from onset

it is what it is
Rickbronz:
If you graduate from a university and you come out looking for someone to employ you, then you are one of the problems of this country. With the knowledge and enlightenment you've gained from school, you should be the one employing and empowering people.
There are several businesses one can start building now which requires little capital but with a potential for massive returns in the long run.
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by lilTunechi(m): 10:40pm On Mar 29, 2021
Rickbronz:
If you graduate from a university and you come out looking for someone to employ you, then you are one of the problems of this country. With the knowledge and enlightenment you've gained from school, you should be the one employing and empowering people.
There are several businesses one can start building now which requires little capital but with a potential for massive returns in the long run.

There are people interested in achieving such long time goals but have no idea how to start navigating the business world and prosper even with possible capital in place. I am one of those people, you can help to further enlighten us on how to kick-start something in life sir as no knowledge is a waste. Thanks
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by marwanafrica: 10:53pm On Mar 29, 2021
Rickbronz:

Guy please help me how do i start up, its really not been easy
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by marwanafrica: 10:54pm On Mar 29, 2021
obamartins:
I no see good job o, so I created one for myself.
Show ur bois way abeg
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by FireKing: 10:55pm On Mar 29, 2021
Venerable612:

OP it took me 2 (two) weeks back then.

Finished Law School in Nigeria - I was going by flight to Abuja for the call to bar ceremony.

I just asked the young lady in front of my seat if she was going to Bwari as well - as I needed company in the chartered taxi.

Turns out she was 10 years at the bar already! And was working with the Securities & Exchange Commission. OMG she looks so young, even till date, you will never tell.

Long story short we exchanged contact. Told her I needed a job in Abuja and I wanted to run away from the hussle and bustle of lagos.

She asked me to send my CV. OP, this woman sent my CV to almost all the Big Corporate Law Firms in Nigeria - and I got emails from about 5 of them. It was now just a matter of choice for me - but I later decided to settle fr Lagos because that was where the real Banking & Finance legal works was really Practiced.

Might I add that I Made First Class both in my Under grad (LLB) and at the Nigerian Law School (BL) - so perhaps that was a factor.

Moral:
Always be confident to speak with people about your job need, even the person sitting next to you in church - in a bus - restaurant etc. But I guess again it's boils down to your conversation and social skills. There are books you can get online on how to improve your social skills (see e.g. How To Win Friends and influence People by Dale Carnegie).

This approach helped me a lot when I was seeking internships back then - in some instances, I literally sent random Inmail to industry experts in my field on LinkedIn. Many times the traditional online applications and sending of CVs just may not be enough.

Hope this helps someone out there. Thanks smiley
Please please please I really need your help for a job, please use ur CONNECTIONS for me .....waiting for reply
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by namiji2598: 10:55pm On Mar 29, 2021
BeboNGN:

Where you dey for North? make I burst your bubble
kaltungo GOMBE state
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by Nobody: 11:01pm On Mar 29, 2021
ADAMUdaCOWBOY:

Lol. UK. If you don't behave me, I will not be surprised, many people think northerners are guaranteed a government job upon graduation but here am I. You know (I am sure) that Nigeria is screwed up but if as a southerner you hear my story, you'd have a clearer picture of how bleeped up it is.

I believe you bro. Was just pulling your legs. May God make a better way for us
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by marwanafrica: 11:02pm On Mar 29, 2021
Venerable612:

OP it took me 2 (two) weeks back then.

Finished Law School in Nigeria - I was going by flight to Abuja for the call to bar ceremony.

I just asked the young lady in front of my seat if she was going to Bwari as well - as I needed company in the chartered taxi.

Turns out she was 10 years at the bar already! And was working with the Securities & Exchange Commission. OMG she looks so young, even till date, you will never tell.

Long story short we exchanged contact. Told her I needed a job in Abuja and I wanted to run away from the hussle and bustle of lagos.

She asked me to send my CV. OP, this woman sent my CV to almost all the Big Corporate Law Firms in Nigeria - and I got emails from about 5 of them. It was now just a matter of choice for me - but I later decided to settle fr Lagos because that was where the real Banking & Finance legal works was really Practiced.

Might I add that I Made First Class both in my Under grad (LLB) and at the Nigerian Law School (BL) - so perhaps that was a factor.

Moral:
Always be confident to speak with people about your job need, even the person sitting next to you in church - in a bus - restaurant etc. But I guess again it's boils down to your conversation and social skills. There are books you can get online on how to improve your social skills (see e.g. How To Win Friends and influence People by Dale Carnegie).

This approach helped me a lot when I was seeking internships back then - in some instances, I literally sent random Inmail to industry experts in my field on LinkedIn. Many times the traditional online applications and sending of CVs just may not be enough.

Hope this helps someone out there. Thanks smiley

The way God used that lady to touch your life please ler him use you too to touch mine, i need a job like seriously in kaduna or Abuja, your contact thus far can do if Sir, please spare time and make it happen for me, and God will take you to your desire height.
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by olamoses75(m): 11:05pm On Mar 29, 2021
Rickbronz:
you must have forgotten some people really want to start a business with little capital but where they would get that 'little capital' is the issue. Or are you willing to give/loan them? And if you're trying to suggest a savings from the peanut you called allowance, then you must be a deluded fellow. How much can someone save from 33k? When expenses like tfare, house rent, subscription not to even mention foodstuffs and gas, are all there. Your ascertion is irrelevant bro.
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by bamsz: 11:06pm On Mar 29, 2021
Rickbronz:
Warped mentality, imagine if everyone thinks like this, who build those great products you use daily, the phone u use, the car u ride, the road you ply everyday... U think everyone can be a business owner at the same time, government ineptitude has pushed u to think its a bad idea to be part of an organization. Even if you have plans to start ur own business, you need to subject yourself to learning. Don't go around thinking people looking for job are lazy, that's a sick ideology. Think about it, you start a biz and no one is ready to work for you cuz everyone is trying to have their own business, that's chaos already!

1 Like

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by ugonna1054(m): 11:14pm On Mar 29, 2021
Immediately after NYSC for me, but there was a price

NTL : DR
I gave up a relatively higher paying salary for a tech internship with lower pay.

NYSC posted me to a Finance company in Lagos, where my JD was call/contact centre doing customer service related work.

Every night after work, I took coding tutorials and practiced hands on. After 3 months with the finance company, I eventually got an internship with a tech startup and left my contact centre job (with better pay, staff bus and some other office perks) for the tech internship.

Fast forward 8 months later, the week before NYSC POP, I got a full-time offer with the startup with more than 700% of my internship pay - 6 figures hehehe, guess that qualifies as a "good job" to some people.

Let me sound like a motivational speaker : Don't be afraid to give up the good to go for the great : grin

A mix of Luck, hardwork, smartwork, ceasing opportunities and God's grace/favour - whenever I pray, I mainly ask for grace and favour, because I feel every other thing follows once you have that..

To y'alll still job hunting, People will pay you for the value you add to them, so learn something or do something that adds value to someone. I wish you all the best of luck!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by EMIOMOADEOYE: 11:25pm On Mar 29, 2021
DhatPeacefuldud:
Kindly give one or two clues, someone might need it

Start with every organization where you know someone.

As in know someone that you can just go visit and have a friendly chat

Some organizations have setups where you can inconspicuously visit friends to just chat. See if you can get your friend to connect you to one or two people in that organization.

See ehn.... the fact is sometimes this job opportunities become available on the fly and because there are already people waiting on the wings they are usually the first to know. If they are found to be suitable it is usually more convenient to use them to fill up positions instead of waiting for the hassles of job application process. Let me tell you a secret. Most of those applications you see have already being filled. The applications adverts are only a formality. For audit purposes. So that auditors wont come and say they did not follow due process. But in truth, those positions already have candidates.

Another place you can check up on is where you did your IT-SIWES or where you even served.

List down all your friends that work in an organization and go and visit them.

Like i said, you aim is to build rapport with some insiders that can give you info.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by dammie4j(m): 11:50pm On Mar 29, 2021
[quote author=dammie4j post=100321408]Took about 2 years after service (2016). Then was a bit less 150K gross up. Now in 2021 closing 500k net with really good perks. Funny thing is, getting my latest opportunity was largely a result of the first, a reputable firm in Nigeria. Often times previous experience matters with a mindset of growth and constant development. Funny things is, a good salary is pretty variable. I'm really not settled or satisfied but grateful.

Modified:
Expand your network at every good and slightest opportunity. I got my second opportunity from an ex-colleague, my present via a professional closed WhatsApp group where I was invited via a comment on LinkedIn. Un-conventional methods works better these days. Pay attention to your posts on social media for back ground checks on you. A lot of things people really ignore matter. Very importantly, be competent enough on your skill or career path. It's really competitive to get the best.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by LikeAking: 11:53pm On Mar 29, 2021
Rickbronz:

See talk?
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by miidae(f): 11:54pm On Mar 29, 2021
3 months
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by LongNipple(m): 11:56pm On Mar 29, 2021
Nairalandmonika:

U need big connection n skills to enter the oil field now

I know o...my brother.
I'm just trying my luck.
You never know.
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by Fratello(m): 12:08am On Mar 30, 2021
miidae:
3 months

You're indeed favoured.

1 Like

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by tojahh(m): 12:08am On Mar 30, 2021
Rickbronz:

Ogun wan kee you? undecided

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by timibare(m): 12:32am On Mar 30, 2021
samwash:

My guy, you should be the one to cover ur head in shame.
How can u pass through school for 4 or 5 yrs not to talk of spill yr in some pple's case, or more than 5 yrs for medical student & still be looking for job after 5 yrs, something is definitely wrong with Nigeria graduates.
ur dumb, you think your making sense? Well you can't reason more than the capacity of ur brain

1 Like

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by Alaigbopress: 12:56am On Mar 30, 2021
Rickbronz:
You made a point, things have really changed and it is going to get worst in few years to come. Any HR expert with valid data at his or her disposal will tell you this. As a Graduate you need to focus on how to contribute to the system and not become a Liability desperate Job seeker. Some of the people replying You are practically ignorant of Human repsurce and talent Management concepts. To become highly respurceful even in the place of your paid job, you must first become an Entrepreneur because that will put you in the path way of productivity. Nigeria Educational System is also to be blamed because it is not really structured to produce more problem solvers instead it keep producing more desperate Job seekers that is why Nigeria is about to take the center stage as the country with the largest number of unemployed Youth even in the face of abundant natural resources. In few years to come, AI and machine learning will take the center stage and will throw more people to the labour market. By then what will be the fate of many job seekers......

Indeed the Future belongs to the Entrepreneurs.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by Alaigbopress: 1:03am On Mar 30, 2021
BiggyB242:

Baba you didn't go to school to start a business after graduation and more also entrepreneurship isn't for everyone. Some people would like to practice their profession.
You are ignorant, Entrepreneurship is the core pillar of career exploit. In your mind Entrepreneurship is equal to buying and selling but that is not actually the case. A Lawyer who set up a chamber and a Doctor who set up hospital after graduation are all Entrepreneurs but are linearly within the orbit of their professional competence.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by Alaigbopress: 1:09am On Mar 30, 2021
The way the so called Graduates are roasting that guy that made a comment earlier in this thread is a testament to the quality of graduates we have today. Many of them have practically nothing to bring to the table even with their bogus certificate. Many of them are far from self development and realities of the 21st century labour market that is why they are highly unproductive and can't think outside the box. One good thing I like about this University called convenant University, their graduates are e.powering over 30 percent of successful startups in the Nigeria startup Eco system which shows that as a Graduate your number one role in the system is problem solving whether as a sole entrepreneur or part of a system. You people should stop roasting the guy and have a deeper reflection on those staments he made.

4 Likes

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by MrEgghead(m): 1:14am On Mar 30, 2021
Rickbronz:
List the businesses for us. Anybody can be an entrepreneur on nairaland. It's like you'll pluck leaves to start the business. All those lines are stale abeg, different strokes for different folks.
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by yemmywesey(m): 1:26am On Mar 30, 2021
Rickbronz:

please coach me
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by bsalawu: 3:27am On Mar 30, 2021
oghalebros:
For me I'm still searching for like 5years now. if you have connection it won't take this far.

I own a Real Estate firm... can you market Landed properties in Lagos?
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by Nobody: 4:19am On Mar 30, 2021
bsalawu:

I own a Real Estate firm... can you market Landed properties in Lagos?

Cc Tolulopefinest
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by Nobody: 4:25am On Mar 30, 2021
ugonna1054:
Immediately after NYSC for me, but there was a price

NTL : DR
I gave up a relatively higher paying salary for a tech internship with lower pay.

NYSC posted me to a Finance company in Lagos, where my JD was call/contact centre doing customer service related work.

Every night after work, I took coding tutorials and practiced hands on. After 3 months with the finance company, I eventually got an internship with a tech startup and left my contact centre job (with better pay, staff bus and some other office perks) for the tech internship.

Fast forward 8 months later, the week before NYSC POP, I got a full-time offer with the startup with more than 700% of my internship pay - 6 figures hehehe, guess that qualifies as a "good job" to some people.

Let me sound like a motivational speaker : Don't be afraid to give up the good to go for the great : grin

A mix of Luck, hardwork, smartwork, ceasing opportunities and God's grace/favour - whenever I pray, I mainly ask for grace and favour, because I feel every other thing follows once you have that..

To y'alll still job hunting, People will pay you for the value you add to them, so learn something or do something that adds value to someone. I wish you all the best of luck!

apart from coding what did you learn that is it related sir
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by Nobody: 4:33am On Mar 30, 2021
modsfucker:

Basically not even a single day, cos I got retained at my lucrative PPA.
Wow
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by jeff1607(m): 5:22am On Mar 30, 2021
Rickbronz:

What business in Nigeria requires little capital?

How does a graduate start anything without work done or a lil bit of experience what a job or its etiquettes is all about

And by the way is the company BRANCH owned by you or you are working for some one else and if that's the case you are also one of the problems in Nigeria going by what you previously said

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by luckygeee: 5:23am On Mar 30, 2021
Abigarnics01:
Graduated since 2015 and got my first and only tangible job experience in 2018 with UBA. I worked for one year and had to resign because my contract ended and there was no hope of being made a full core staff cry cry. Since 2019, I have been jobhunting se goriously and I am so tired. My side businesses are nothing to write home about as I get low patronage despite my many adverts and co. I have spent so much traveling for test and interviews at different locations and I am feeling so frustrated. I don't even understand what's going on anymore, I don't know which way to face again and I dare not rush into marriage without being established a little to avoid more problems. Abeg if anybody is led by the Lord, please assist a young lady in getting a job undecided undecided. Jobhunting has drained me. Just today, a certain recruitment agent told me I don't have experience for a 40k job o as a Front Desk Officer/Customer service officer. Mehn I weak finish undecided undecided undecided. Not to mention getting 3 regret mails back to back. Right now I am learning Website design courtesy one empowerment agency in Benin but I am getting tired cause I don't have personal laptop to even practice what I am being taught at home.
Sorry for the long post sha, I just needed to vent out cause I am tired cry cry.

Can you write articles, blog posts or other write ups? Even if you can't, you can always learn and develop yourself. Send me a dm and I will add you to a freelance writing group where you can make up to a 100k monthly. You can start writing with the WPS app on your phone.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

NGC Unltd:real Or Fake? / The Life Of An Unemployed Graduate / Ideas About PZ Cussons Aptitude Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.