Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,449 members, 7,770,115 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 04:02 AM

Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? (16489 Views)

Can This Be Termed Exam Malpractice? / The Love Letter A Secondary School Boy Sent To His Teacher, Chioma (pics) / ICPC Arraigns VC Of Richmond Open University With Secondary School Certificate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Jeux: 10:06am On Mar 30, 2021
I just read a post on romance section and it got me wondering if a school cert holder can be said to be educated .

3 Likes

Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Brunosamel(m): 10:13am On Mar 30, 2021
Yes, it depends on the individual and how exposed he is intellectually, being educated is different from schooling...
I have a friend who is full of intellects, he can read very well, speak very well and write very well, he expose his mind with lots of books and activities, everything is has done are self thought and he understands life way better now some of our universities counterparts....

So the answer is yes, you can be a secondary school graduate and be educated....

293 Likes 23 Shares

Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Nobody: 10:18am On Mar 30, 2021
Education is in the mindset and not some trash cert...

186 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Sibtygarr: 10:19am On Mar 30, 2021
hmmmm
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by naijadrivablog: 10:20am On Mar 30, 2021
Yes na. Most of the "higher" institutions you attended are glorified secondary schools.

Make I no just call name.

136 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by stanliwise(m): 10:31am On Mar 30, 2021
Yes
As soon as you're done with secondary school, according to how the curriculum was designed, you are fit and educated already to explore any part of literacy. That is called general education and in other sense literacy. Going to university or college means trying to go further and specialize.
Now that is all theory.

In the practical world, most notable in a country with shattered system of education like our country Nigeria, many people find it very difficult to believe one is a complete literate if he/she even have a secondary school education. Simple reason is because most secondary school have very poor infrastructure to actually make a secondary school graduate a literate, with bad and underpaid teachers, bad curriculum planning, lack of laboratory and practical exercise for student to make meaning of what they were thought. This at the end of the day make people to want to believe a university graduate as educated(a literate) rather than a secondary school graduate.

But using university as a judgment for literacy is faulty, literacy and it real purpose means a person is able to read, write and do basic numerical and logical computation of everyday living with relative ease.

In conclusion, literacy is more a practical concept rather than anything tied to certifications and theories

115 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by The5DME(m): 10:32am On Mar 30, 2021
Definitely!

14 Likes

Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Jeux: 9:58am On Apr 09, 2021
Nice response so far

17 Likes

Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Jeux: 9:59am On Apr 09, 2021
Mod please do the needful for more response

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Jeux: 9:57pm On Nov 29, 2023
Nlfpmod, to the Frontpage sir
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by nwakibie3(m): 9:16am On Dec 02, 2023
In Nigeria politics "YES" grin

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by nairaland2: 9:16am On Dec 02, 2023
Yes.

1 Like

Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by shortgun(m): 9:16am On Dec 02, 2023
Yes, when someone can read, write, do basic calculations, the person is said to be formally educated
Post secondary school education is termed advanced education.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Kobicove(m): 9:17am On Dec 02, 2023
Yes of course

2 Likes

Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by omoladunniyo(f): 9:17am On Dec 02, 2023
Maybe

2 Likes

Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Chibuzoc(m): 9:17am On Dec 02, 2023
grin define education first

1 Like

Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by CJStarz: 9:17am On Dec 02, 2023
naijadrivablog:
Yes na. Most of the "higher" institutions you attended are glorified secondary schools.

Make I no just call name.
Bros,I hope you have no 'covenant' with any of them?😂

15 Likes

Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Guyman01: 9:17am On Dec 02, 2023
I feel ashamed when I saw the kind of very poor sentences from some of my course mates in the higher institution, they couldn't write a simple report that made sense, meanwhile, some of my classmates in secondary school published books without getting any higher education, I see these ones as educated and some of my course mates as school attendees, we have a WhatsApp group and they will never comment because they can't put words together without errors and some of them occupy positions in civil service

39 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Kobicove(m): 9:18am On Dec 02, 2023
omoladunniyo:
V

V for Vendetta grin

1 Like

Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by SoNature(m): 9:18am On Dec 02, 2023
Yes, nursery, primary and secondary educations are the key levels you need to be able to read and write. If you can read and write, you are no longer an illiterate. Yes, you are educated.

PS: I noticed that Nigerians often confuse ignorance with illiteracy.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by chicfarmer: 9:18am On Dec 02, 2023
YES

1 Like

Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Seequadry(m): 9:18am On Dec 02, 2023
Education is all about knowledge and knowledge can be gotten somewhere else aside school...

School is not the only source of getting knowledge anymore

Pesin wey no go secondary school fit dey educated pass who finish uni

He/she jst need to write some exams to prove it

16 Likes

Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by gameova(m): 9:18am On Dec 02, 2023
Lol the question is Soo funny. Wtf
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by philiancoop(m): 9:18am On Dec 02, 2023
100%

All most all I know today, both language and general knowledge came from society and secondary school. My university course is too technical to apply to anything in every life

16 Likes

Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by tctrills: 9:19am On Dec 02, 2023
Jeux:
I just read a post on romance section and it got me wondering if a school cert holder can be said to be educated .
You don't need Nairaland for everything. Please use your dictionary to answer this one.
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Farki: 9:19am On Dec 02, 2023
No they are uneducated they didn't go to school, they are not full human beings they are scum. undecided

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Nairaxi55: 9:19am On Dec 02, 2023
Yes
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Antoeni(m): 9:19am On Dec 02, 2023
Yes , Highly Educated, As Tinubu Has No Certificate, Buhari Presented NEPA Bill & Bread Label as Certificate

7 Likes

Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Beverlyjean(f): 9:20am On Dec 02, 2023
Absolutely.... University or college( usa) is basically for careers preparation

Another mistake Nigerians make, is thinking that graduates are only those that completed university education... a person that completed secondary school education is also a graduate

6 Likes

Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by LIGHTROOM: 9:20am On Dec 02, 2023
What kind of question is this?
Who told you that every University graduate is educated?
There are so many graduate who cannot speak good English while you will see a secondary School certificate holder very sound and sharp.

3 Likes

Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Woodshot: 9:20am On Dec 02, 2023
The Yes hit LIKE
The No hit SHARE

Let the poll begin.

18 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Study In Ukraine / WAEC GCE Nov/dec 2014 Results Just Released. / What’s The Most Painful Thing A Lecturer Has Ever Done Or Said To You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.