Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,988 members, 7,835,315 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:34 AM

Itsekiri Are Part Of The Greater Oduduwa Family- Ooni - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Itsekiri Are Part Of The Greater Oduduwa Family- Ooni (6197 Views)

Olu Of Warri Kicks Out Ayiri, Revalidates Iyatsere, 10 Other Itsekiri Chiefs / Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri / Itsekiri Are Part Of The Greater Oduduwa Family- Ooni (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Itsekiri Are Part Of The Greater Oduduwa Family- Ooni by Nobody: 3:42pm On Apr 08, 2021
It is very clear that the yorubas are fighting a war of information. They are trying to create an alternate history for political reasons.
The Oni of IFA even tried not so long ago to claim the Igbo as being yoruba. The yoruba are fighting with lies and an army of liars. I think most of them know they are telling lies, that is the game plan: conquer through lies.
Re: Itsekiri Are Part Of The Greater Oduduwa Family- Ooni by Nobody: 3:49pm On Apr 08, 2021
samuk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFFYH3GAmBk

Yoruba are the only ones that believe their own lies and spins. Those that have ears can listen to the Oba of Lagos and hear for themselves. The Oba didn't just say the first Oba of Lagos was a Male descendant of Oba of Benin, he even went on to reproduced a song in Yoruba that says their father is from Benin, this song has to be sang at the installation of any Oba of Lagos to remind them of their Benin root, not done, he told us that all chiefs after installation at their Enuwa must pay homage/salute the Oba of Benin. How else could him have made himself clearer that their recognised father is the Oba of Benin.

On the second coronation anniversary of the Oba of Benin which you can find on YouTube, the Oba of Lagos was the chairman, he told the world that the Oba of Benin is his father. He went on to thank the Benin chiefs that were sent by late Oba Erediawa to train him in tradition and played a vital role during his coronation.

I don't think there are many places outside of Edo state that the Benin Palace still plays the sort of role they play in the coronation of Lagos monarchs.

You heard directly from the Oba himself but still prefer an analysis full of spin and lies.

I provided the video without saying anything, I just wanted the readers to listen for themselves but someone think the listeners are deaf, dumb and lack understanding and he/she saw the need to explain the videos with lies.

Don't waste your time reading or replying that yoruba troll whom is apparently interpreting a very clear video as if the language spoken in the video is foreign. That is the highest form of delusion I have ever witnessed.
That person is a waste, that person is so illogical and delusional that you would be better off talking to a mentally ill person which is most likely the case.
The yorubas are cheering that fool because the fool is saying things which please their ears and they shut down their reasoning faculties in order to accept those good sounding lies without intellectual scrutini.
The Biafrans are allies with the Yoruba supremacists they both believe they can share Benin Kingdom within themselves. These guys are jokers.
Re: Itsekiri Are Part Of The Greater Oduduwa Family- Ooni by Nobody: 3:49pm On Apr 08, 2021
Let us re-establish facts while the yoruba priest from Ife is on a crusade of lies. (The same Oni of IFA also claimed Igbos are actually yorubas from Ife)

1) Yoruba is a made up tribe consisting of many tribes including one tribe which was called oyo or yar.iba or yoruba. That tribe is the remnant of oyo Kingdom whose king is the alafin of oyo and whose main priest is called Oni of IFA.
The other people calling themselves Yoruba are mostly slave descendants, ijebu, some Edo people (eg: Ondo state) who have lost touch with their history or who agree to be tagged Yoruba for political reasons.

2) Warri is a vassal state to Benin. In other words, Warri is part of Benin and it's people are Edo people.
Re: Itsekiri Are Part Of The Greater Oduduwa Family- Ooni by Nobody: 3:57pm On Apr 08, 2021
What we are witnessing in Warri is nothing short of a coup.
Re: Itsekiri Are Part Of The Greater Oduduwa Family- Ooni by Nobody: 4:41pm On Apr 08, 2021
gregyboy:
[s][/s]

. You will orever remain mad,

Any statement you make like this and you cant prove, you will be endangering your life for it,

Stipid aboki

That has been proved already. You lots have so much in common.
Re: Itsekiri Are Part Of The Greater Oduduwa Family- Ooni by Nobody: 4:45pm On Apr 08, 2021
Truthshots2:

Don't waste your time reading or replying that troll.
That is a waste, that person is so illogical and delusional that you would be better off talking to a mentally ill person which is most likely the case.
The yorubas are cheering that fool because the fool is saying things which please their ears and they shut down their reasoning faculties in order to accept those good sounding lies without intellectual scrutini.
The Biafrans are allies with the Yoruba supremacists they both believe they can share Benin Kingdom within themselves. These guys are jokers.

Igbos don't want anything with Bini kingdom. Yorubas should take it because they have over 100% historical link with Edos.

Igbos has no link there and so has no business there...

Our homogeneous igbo territory is Enough.

No other is needed.

1 Like

Re: Itsekiri Are Part Of The Greater Oduduwa Family- Ooni by Nobody: 4:58pm On Apr 08, 2021
Osagyefo98:

Igbos don't want anything with Bini kingdom. Yorubas should take it because they have over 100% historical link with Edos.

Igbos has no link there and so has no business there...

Our homogeneous igbo territory is Enough.

No other is needed.
Last time I reply to a person like you who speaks out of emotions with zero facts.

Here is a precolonial map of Benin Kingdom:
https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8595583b.r=Benin?rk=193134;0

Also no part of the southsouth will go with the southwest or the southeast. Except imo state wants to roll with the southeast, but that is their decision to make, for the rest of us, you guys need to leave us alone.

Re: Itsekiri Are Part Of The Greater Oduduwa Family- Ooni by Nobody: 5:12pm On Apr 08, 2021
Truthshots2:

Last time I reply to a person like you who speaks out of emotions with zero facts.

Here is a precolonial map of Benin Kingdom.

Also no part of the southsouth will go with the southwest or the southeast. Except imo state wants to roll with the southeast, but that is their decision to make, for the rest of us, you guys need to leave us alone.

Lol

Are you on any drugs?

Lol....

Life is Sweeter in dreams....Yorubas should be the one debating about edos and her history not Igbos.

It is their right to do so and Ooni is doing so already.

case ends.

1 Like

Re: Itsekiri Are Part Of The Greater Oduduwa Family- Ooni by Nobody: 5:17pm On Apr 08, 2021
I don't read nor reply emotions driven biggots with zero facts whom are only spreading their ethnic propaganda.
Once I identify you, you no longer exist to me.
Re: Itsekiri Are Part Of The Greater Oduduwa Family- Ooni by Nobody: 5:20pm On Apr 08, 2021
No emotions, facts only:

Precolonial map of Benin Kingdom from one of the 2 best libraries in this world:

https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8595583b.r=Benin?rk=193134;0

Re: Itsekiri Are Part Of The Greater Oduduwa Family- Ooni by gregyboy(m): 6:01pm On Apr 08, 2021
Osagyefo98:

That has been proved already. You lots have so much in common.

Youre risking your life bro for internet lies,

We share more relationships with igbos than edos share with people of calabar, does that now equate your useless assumption
Re: Itsekiri Are Part Of The Greater Oduduwa Family- Ooni by Nobody: 7:10pm On Apr 08, 2021
gregyboy:

Youre risking your life bro for internet lies,

[s]We share more relationships with igbos than edos share with people of calabar, does that now equate your useless [/s]

Don't say this in open..
Re: Itsekiri Are Part Of The Greater Oduduwa Family- Ooni by AdakaBoro8(m): 1:55pm On Apr 09, 2021
ThumbzTNA:
I said this today and some Niger Delta he goats were crying in my mentions.

If you think Itsekiri will be part of your Niger Delta Republic, you are a fvcking joker
who want itsekiri sef? las las they can relocate to yoruba land where they come from..

1 Like

Re: Itsekiri Are Part Of The Greater Oduduwa Family- Ooni by Fezz: 4:12pm On Apr 09, 2021
TAO11:
Oh he later attached the same video about which he has been flogged to near-death before.

Now, let the flogging roll in point by point as usual:

(Point 1) Oba Akiolu’s statement says: “... the first oba of Lagos is a male descendant of Oba of Benin ...”

(Point 2) The official recognition of who is the “first oba” always swings — in Lagos accounts — between Ashipa (father) and Ado (son).

Just as a similar recognition (of first Benin oba) always swings — in Benin accounts — between Oranmiyan (father) and Eweka (son).

(Point 3) Lagos accounts are unmistakably clear that Ashipa is an Awori noble (of Ife royal ancestry) from Isheri.

(Point 4) Oba Akiolu’s reference here to the “first Oba” is therefore by necessity in reference to AdoAshipa’s son.

(Point 5) Oba Akiolu’s precise words, viz. “male descendant of the Oba of Benin” appears to have been carefully chosen.

He avoided saying “paternal descendant” or “patrilineal descendant” which would have meant something else.

(Point 6) Oba Akiolu’s emphasis is thus clearly on the child-descendant himself (i.e. a male descendant, i.e. a descended son).

(Point 6) Oba Akiolu’s word does NOT relate in any guise to the agent(s) through whom the child was descended — in which case the wording would have been:

Paternal descendant,” or “patrilineal descendant”.

(Point 7) Oba Akiolu’s statement here is therefore in complete agreement with the native accounts of Lagos history.

(Point 8 ) And the traditional account of Lagos history states that:

Ashipa (the progenitor of the Lagos monarchy and father of Ado) is a Yoruba man.

(Point 9) And that Ashipa only gave birth to his son, Ado through a Benin woman. The son was born and raised in his mother’s land — Benin.

(Point 10) Lastly, Oba Akiolu later declared emphatically in this same interview that Lagos does NOT belong to Benin kingdom. See times-stamp 5:44 of the full and untampered video embedded below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOsp9VLRFno

Cc: seunmsg

I think you are just trying to be mischievous in your assertions. Oba Akiolu clearly stated in that clip that the first oba of Lagos was from Benin. This is not difficult to understand, neither is it rocket science. Oba Akiolu would have clearly stated it that the first oba of Lagos was an Awori if that was actually the case, but instead, he stated clearly that the first oba of Lagos came from Benin. The message is quite clear and shouldn't be debated.

Secondly, in your previous posts, you always claim that the Awori people settled in Lagos first before the benins came into the land and named it eko. My question to you is this, what was the name the Aworis named the land as first settlers before the Benin came and named the land as Eko? I assume that people cannot just gather together and live in a nameless land, so kindly tell us the pre-existing name given by the Aworis before the benins named the land as Eko.
Re: Itsekiri Are Part Of The Greater Oduduwa Family- Ooni by TAO11(f): 5:27pm On Apr 09, 2021
Fezz:
I think you are just trying to be mischievous in your assertions. Oba Akiolu clearly stated in that clip that the first oba of Lagos was from Benin. This is not difficult to understand, neither is it rocket science. Oba Akiolu would have clearly stated it that the first oba of Lagos was an Awori if that was actually the case, but instead, he stated clearly that the first oba of Lagos came from Benin. The message is quite clear and shouldn't be debated.
First of all, the request to him from the interviewer was NOT “Tell us about the first Oba of Lagos”. No, that wasn’t the request. smiley

Had that being the request, of course he should have touched on both Ado’s father-side (Yoruba) and his mother-side (Benin).

However, the interviewer specifically requested him to talk about the relationship between Benin kingdom and Lagos.

In the light of the request put to him, I am still lost why you expected his reply to be in relation to the Eko/Awori relationship rather than the Eko/Benin relationship.

Could you please explain why such was the reply you were expecting from him with regard to the specific request put to him?

Even at that, NO where did he say, as you’ve put it here, that “tHe fIrSt oBa oF lAgOs iS fRoM bEnIn”.

Again, the interviewer’s request was: “Tell us about the relationship between the Bini and the Eko people
~ Timestamp 4:55 of the full & untampered video below.

And his reply was that king Ado is a descended son from a certain Benin king; and that a salute gesture to the Benin king is always re-enacted at Enuwa during coronations.

My comment in relation to this video is to disillusion folks from the false propaganda of claiming that his reply was outside the limits of the Lagos account.

No it is not. Please point out the specific time-stamps where you think otherwise.

The Lagos account states categorically that Ashipa (i.e. Ado’s father) is an Awori-Yoruba noble from Isheri-Olofin; and that Ado’s mother is Benin.

I should add that the name Enu[o]wa also resonates with another square by the same name at Isheri-Olofin where every Olofin of Isheri-Olofin is coronated. Same applies at Ife to the area where the palace is located.

To wrap it all up, Oba Akiolu noted in this interview that Lagos does NOT belong to Benin kingdom.
~ Timestamp 5:45 of the full & untampered video below.

He understands how easily the complex and intricate historical relationship may be hijacked & misinterpreted by some folks suffering from the minority complex.

In what more way should he have debunked the false idea of a patrilineal descent from Benin if not the note that Lagos does not belong to Benin kingdom?

Secondly, in your previous posts, you always claim that the Awori people settled in Lagos first before the benins came into the land and named it eko.
(Point 1) Yes, the Aworis settled in Lagos first — perhaps countless centuries actually. Do you dispute this? Lol.

(Point 2) Could you please point out the so-called “[my] previous posts” where I said Benins named a certain land as Eko? Lol.

Wake up man, Benin didn’t name any land (not even a plot) as Eko. And I never claimed that they did — at least not in recent year(s).

The earliest known documented account of the origin of the name Eko (for Lagos island) states clearly that it was named by the Yorubas — not Benins. ~ D’Avezac (1845: p.26).

Also, the area have been named Eko before any non-Yoruba group immigrated near the area in search of better life. ~ Alan C. Burns (1929: p.44).

The idea that Benin named Lagos island as Eko is a big fat myth made-up and popularized by Binis in the latter part of the 1900s.

My question to you is this, what was the name the Aworis named the land as first settlers before the Benin came and named the land as Eko? I assume that people cannot just gather together and live in a nameless land, so kindly tell us the pre-existing name given by the Aworis before the benins named the land as Eko.
Well, the Benins didn’t name any part of Lagos as Eko per historical documentation. smiley

The name Eko for the island predates any of the non-Yoruba immigrant groups — Aja, Benin, or Ijaw. This is the earliest documented information prior to recent redactions from Benin writers.

The actual reality appears (in the light of all the early information cited above) to have been as follows:

After the Binis had come to encounter the name Eko in Lagos where they eventually set up their camp, the word Eko thus slowly flowed into the Benin lexicon and eventually acquired a new meaning, viz. camp among Binis — especially the Binis back at home.

This may be corroborated with the fact that an older word actually exist for camp in the language of the Binis — that is, Ago [or perhaps Oxogbo].

Cheers!

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Itsekiri Are Part Of The Greater Oduduwa Family- Ooni by Fezz: 5:44pm On Apr 09, 2021
Osagyefo98:

There is nothing like Edo / Delta...stop dreaming.

There are three major ethnic groups in Delta.. Igbos, Urhobos and Ijaws others include Itshekiri, Isoko...

Where did u see Edo inside the listing?

Stop land grabbing in your dream...

Edo/binis are offshoot of Yorubas like Itshekiris are.

This statement of yoursome is very funny kiss kiss.. It is obvious you don't know your history. Delta is divided into 3 major groups which are urobho, ijaw and itsekiri. The igbos are settlers there and not true indigens. The benins, esans, kukurukus, urobho, Itshekiris and ijaw all sprang from the same roots known as pa idu. In other words they are all blood brothers. During migration they spread out and created other indigenous settlements in edo/delta state of today.

The igbos migrated into the edo/delta lands through trading and in search of better arable land to farm and the benins welcomed them as visitors but the igbos being whom they always are took that kind gesture and misused it by trying to claim the land they were invited into.

The difference between the Benin Kingdom and the Yorubas is that Benin descendants are all connected by blood, from the benins to the esans, down to the ekweres are all blood connected, while the Yorubas are connected by forcing their language and culture on their subjects. Most people in Yorubas land today were dumped on Yoruba soil and most of them came from seria leon, Gabon etc. The only thing that brought them together is the language known as Yoruba.
Re: Itsekiri Are Part Of The Greater Oduduwa Family- Ooni by Fezz: 5:45pm On Apr 09, 2021
Osagyefo98:

There is nothing like Edo / Delta...stop dreaming.

There are three major ethnic groups in Delta.. Igbos, Urhobos and Ijaws others include Itshekiri, Isoko...

Where did u see Edo inside the listing?

Stop land grabbing in your dream...

Edo/binis are offshoot of Yorubas like Itshekiris are.

This statement of yoursome is very funny kiss kiss.. It is obvious you don't know your history. Delta is divided into 3 major groups which are urobho, ijaw and itsekiri. The igbos are settlers there and not true indigens. The benins, esans, kukurukus, urobho, Itshekiris and ijaw all sprang from the same roots known as pa idu. In other words they are all blood brothers. During migration they spread out and created other indigenous settlements in edo/delta state of today.

The igbos migrated into the edo/delta lands through trading and in search of better arable land to farm and the benins welcomed them as visitors but the igbos being whom they always are took that kind gesture and misused it by trying to claim the land they were invited into.

The difference between the Benin Kingdom and the Yorubas is that Benin descendants are all connected by blood, from the benins to the esans, down to the ekweres are all blood connected, while the Yorubas are connected by forcing their language and culture on their subjects. Most people in Yorubas land today were dumped on Yoruba soil and most of them came from sierra leon, Gabon etc. The only thing that brought them together is the language known as Yoruba.
Re: Itsekiri Are Part Of The Greater Oduduwa Family- Ooni by Fezz: 5:54pm On Apr 09, 2021
Truthshots2:

Don't waste your time reading or replying that yoruba troll whom is apparently interpreting a very clear video as if the language spoken in the video is foreign. That is the highest form of delusion I have ever witnessed.
That person is a waste, that person is so illogical and delusional that you would be better off talking to a mentally ill person which is most likely the case.

Your last paragraph is the complete truth of what is going on. I mentioned this exact assertion some few weeks ago on this blog and I made it clear that all the benins in all south south states should step up and get ready to defend their heritage with all they have.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Itsekiri Are Part Of The Greater Oduduwa Family- Ooni by Fezz: 6:21pm On Apr 09, 2021
[quote author=TAO11 post=100643511]

Wake up man, Benin didn’t name any land (not even a plot) as Eko. And I never claimed that they did — at least not in recent year(s).

The earliest known documented account of the origin of the name Eko (for Lagos island) states clearly that it was named by the Yorubas — not Benins. ~ D’Avezac (1845: p.23).

Please stop cracking me up over here. I am laughing real hard over here. It is quite obvious that you are on pay roll to try and debunk anything concerning Benin heritage. You are so desperate to remove Benin history from the history books and you are obviously been paid by a royal entity to do this. Anyway that is by the side. One thing I want you to know is that the yorubas can surpass the Benins in sectors such as physics, chemistry blah blah due to the fact that the brits favoured them to terms of education right from the early years of colonisation compared to the benins.

One error you yorubas have made that you might live to regret is trying to shove the benins away from their history. Benin and history are like 5 & 6.. you can't tell a Benin man his history because it's a part of his life style. Even a 5 year old in education state will tell you history from A to Z.

Please don't say this again that the aworis named the land as Eko. It only shows your desperation to get rid of the benins and it does not speak well of you. Stay blessed.
Re: Itsekiri Are Part Of The Greater Oduduwa Family- Ooni by TAO11(f): 6:29pm On Apr 09, 2021
Fezz:
[s]Please stop cracking me up over here. I am laughing real hard over here. It is quite obvious that you are on pay roll to try and debunk anything concerning Benin heritage. You are so desperate to remove Benin history from the history books and you are obviously been paid by a royal entity to do this. Anyway that is by the side. One thing I want you to know is that the yorubas can surpass the Benins in sectors such as physics, chemistry blah blah due to the fact that the brits favoured them to terms of education right from the early years of colonisation compared to the benins.

One error you yorubas have made that you might live to regret is trying to shove the benins away from their history. Benin and history are like 5 & 6.. you can't tell a Benin man his history because it's a part of his life style. Even a 5 year old in education state will tell you history from A to Z.

Please don't say this again that the aworis named the land as Eko. It only shows your desperation to get rid of the benins and it does not speak well of you. Stay blessed.[/s]
Could you please do an actual reply to my evidence-based comment?

A substance-filled reply, NOT some zero-substance calumnious rants as you’ve piled up here.

Thanks! smiley

2 Likes

Re: Itsekiri Are Part Of The Greater Oduduwa Family- Ooni by EzeNri(m): 6:50pm On Apr 09, 2021
samuk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFFYH3GAmBk

Yoruba are the only ones that believe their own lies and spins. Those that have ears can listen to the Oba of Lagos and hear for themselves. The Oba didn't just say the first Oba of Lagos was a Male descendant of Oba of Benin, he even went on to reproduced a song in Yoruba that says their father is from Benin, this song has to be sang at the installation of any Oba of Lagos to remind them of their Benin root, not done, he told us that all chiefs after installation at their Enuwa must pay homage/salute the Oba of Benin. How else could him have made himself clearer that their recognised father is the Oba of Benin.

On the second coronation anniversary of the Oba of Benin which you can find on YouTube, the Oba of Lagos was the chairman, he told the world that the Oba of Benin is his father. He went on to thank the Benin chiefs that were sent by late Oba Erediawa to train him in tradition and played a vital role during his coronation.

I don't think there are many places outside of Edo state that the Benin Palace still plays the sort of role they play in the coronation of Lagos monarchs.

You heard directly from the Oba himself but still prefer an analysis full of spin and lies.

I provided the video without saying anything, I just wanted the readers to listen for themselves but someone think the listeners are deaf, dumb and lack understanding and he/she saw the need to explain the videos with lies.
Na Yoruba pattern nah.

Bloody revisionists
Re: Itsekiri Are Part Of The Greater Oduduwa Family- Ooni by Nobody: 7:28pm On Apr 09, 2021
EzeNri:
Na Yoruba pattern nah.
Bloody revisionists
Young man change your name to Ezearo.
I have been saying it calmly Mana ichoro inu.
Re: Itsekiri Are Part Of The Greater Oduduwa Family- Ooni by TAO11(f): 7:29pm On Apr 09, 2021
Juliusmalema:

Wait! shocked

Don’t tell me that guy is another fake-Igbo. undecided
Re: Itsekiri Are Part Of The Greater Oduduwa Family- Ooni by EzeNri(m): 7:31pm On Apr 09, 2021
Juliusmalema:

More sifia pains
Re: Itsekiri Are Part Of The Greater Oduduwa Family- Ooni by Nobody: 7:44pm On Apr 09, 2021
TAO11:
Wait! shocked
Don’t tell me that guy is another fake-Igbo. undecided
No, I am giving him , his true Identity.
It should be Ezearo not Ezenri.
Ezenri is highly to be used by miscreants anyhow .
He is trying to bastardize the name.
Re: Itsekiri Are Part Of The Greater Oduduwa Family- Ooni by gregyboy(m): 7:51pm On Apr 09, 2021
Fezz:

The difference between the Benin Kingdom and the Yorubas is that Benin descendants are all connected by blood, from the benins to the esans, down to the ekweres are all blood connected, while the Yorubas are connected by forcing their language and culture on their subjects. Most people in Yorubas land today were dumped on Yoruba soil and most of them came from seria leon, Gabon etc. The only thing that brought them together is the language known as Yoruba.

Which one be pa idu, who b this guy, what tribe are you?

And told you about this pa idu you speak of
Re: Itsekiri Are Part Of The Greater Oduduwa Family- Ooni by TAO11(f): 8:18pm On Apr 09, 2021
Juliusmalema:
No, I am giving him , his true Identity.

It should be Ezearo not Ezenri.

Ezenri is highly to be used by miscreants anyhow .

He is trying to bastardize the name.
Oh he is a miscreant. Got it. Thanks!
Re: Itsekiri Are Part Of The Greater Oduduwa Family- Ooni by Fezz: 8:47pm On Apr 09, 2021
gregyboy:

Which one be pa idu, who b this guy, what tribe are you?

And told you about this pa idu you speak of

I have observed you for a while and to be honest I don't see you as a smart guy. Your rivals are attacking you left, right and centre and all you observed on this thread is to attack me. You are funny. Let me give you words of advise here, it's left for you to heed to my advise or not. It's better for you to go and study the foundational history of other kingdoms under the benin empire such as the urohbos, esans etc. This might shed more light on the missing links that the benins need to have a upper hand against their rivals. Your knowledge on benin history is too narrow and the yorubas are taking advantage of your narrow knowledge.

There is one thing you should understand, the yorubas are hell bent on destroying the benin Kingdom history, they don't mind telling all the lies in this world to accomplish that goal. They are playing dirty and they are quite determined to succeed.

I'm sure you have noticed that its not just the ile-ifes that are debunking the benin history. Everyone of the yoruba tribes are working together to obliterate the benin history out of the history books, but all I see on nairaland is the benins (edo speakers) trying to fight this media war all by themselves. My advise to you is to go and meet your afemai brothers, the esans etc... come together, broaden your knowledge, connect all the missing dots with facts and hit the yorubas hard.

The yorubas have studied benin history to a very large extent and their sole aim to debunk and discredit benin history so that when Nigeria finally divides they will claim the heritage of the benin Kingdom. So you better wise up and step up your game.

Go and do your research on the founding fathers of igodomigodo and you will come across pa idu. Don't attack me next time because I'm not the enemy. Wise up
Re: Itsekiri Are Part Of The Greater Oduduwa Family- Ooni by Nobody: 9:22pm On Apr 09, 2021
Fezz:

The difference between the Benin Kingdom and the Yorubas is that Benin descendants are all connected by blood, from the benins to the esans, down to the ekweres are all blood connected, while the Yorubas are connected by forcing their language and culture on their subjects. Most people in Yorubas land today were dumped on Yoruba soil and most of them came from sierra leon, Gabon etc. The only thing that brought them together is the language known as Yoruba.

The Ekweres...Lol

You don't even know how to call your said blood brothers..coz it sounds E for your mouth it is now Ekweres ....Lol

all these 2 by 2 kingdom sef.

All benins are Yorubas.

2 Likes

Re: Itsekiri Are Part Of The Greater Oduduwa Family- Ooni by Fezz: 9:58pm On Apr 09, 2021
TAO11:
First of all, the request to him from the interviewer was NOT “Tell us about the first Oba of Lagos”. No, that wasn’t the request. smiley

Had that being the request, of course he should have touched on both Ado’s father-side (Yoruba) and his mother-side (Benin).

However, the interviewer specifically requested him to talk about the relationship between Benin kingdom and Lagos.

In the light of the request put to him, I am still lost why you expected his reply to be in relation to the Eko/Awori relationship rather than the Eko/Benin relationship.

Could you please explain why such was the reply you were expecting from him with regard to the specific request put to him?

Even at that, NO where did he say, as you’ve put it here, that “tHe fIrSt oBa oF lAgOs iS fRoM bEnIn”.

Again, the interviewer’s request was: “Tell us about the relationship between the Bini and the Eko people
~ Timestamp 4:55 of the full & untampered video below.

And his reply was that king Ado is a descended son from a certain Benin king; and that a salute gesture to the Benin king is always re-enacted at Enuwa during coronations.

My comment in relation to this video is to disillusion folks from the false propaganda of claiming that his reply was outside the limits of the Lagos account.

No it is not. Please point out the specific time-stamps where you think otherwise.

The Lagos account states categorically that Ashipa (i.e. Ado’s father) is an Awori-Yoruba noble from Isheri-Olofin; and that Ado’s mother is Benin.

I should add that the name Enuwa also resonates with another square by the same name at Isheri-Olofin where every Olofin of Isheri-Olofin is coronated. Same applies at Ife to the area where the palace is located.

To wrap it all up, Oba Akiolu noted in this interview that Lagos does NOT belong to Benin kingdom.
~ Timestamp 5:45 of the full & untampered video below.

He understands how easily the complex and intricate historical relationship may be hijacked & misinterpreted by some folks suffering from the minority complex.

In what more way should he have debunked the false idea of a patrilineal descent from Benin if not the note that Lagos does not belong to Benin kingdom?

(Point 1) Yes, the Aworis settled in Lagos first — perhaps countless centuries actually. Do you dispute this? Lol.

(Point 2) Could you please point out the so-called “[my] previous posts” where I said Benins named a certain land as Eko? Lol.

The earliest known documented account of the origin of the name Eko (for Lagos island) states clearly that it was named by the Yorubas — not Benins. ~ D’Avezac (1845: p.26).

Also, the area have been named Eko before any non-Yoruba group immigrated near the area in search of better life. ~ Alan C. Burns (1929: p.44).

The idea that Benin named Lagos island as Eko is a big fat myth made-up and popularized by Binis in the latter part of the 1900s.

Well, the Benins didn’t name any part of Lagos as Eko per historical documentation. smiley

The name Eko for the island predates any of the non-Yoruba immigrant groups — Aja, Benin, or Ijaw. This is the earliest documented information prior to recent redactions from Benin writers.

The actual reality appears (in the light of all the early information cited above) to have been as follows:

After the Binis had come to encounter the name Eko in Lagos where they eventually set up their camp, the word Eko thus slowly flowed into the Benin lexicon and eventually acquired a new meaning, viz. camp among Binis — especially the Binis back at home.

This may be corroborated with the fact that an older word actually exist for camp in the language of the Binis — that is, Ago [or perhaps Oxogbo].

Cheers!

OBA OF BENIN HEAD OF THE BENIN EMPIRE OWNS WESTERN, SOUTHERN AND EASTERN MODERN DAY NIGERIA
- Oba Akiolu of Lagos

The dust has finally settled after years of controversies and heated arguments who the real owners of present day Lagos are, the whole of Western Nigeria and the East of the Niger down to the Nigerian south Atlantic Coast.

The Oba of Lagos, His Royal Highness, Oba Rilwan Akiolu, has finally told the world via a historical narrative and background the real owners of Nigeria's economic capital city of Lagos and parts of neigbouring Benin Republic.

Lagos, he said, belongs to the Great Benin Kingdom and has never been part of Yoruba land.

This was contained in a statement issued and signed by the Lagos Monarch which was released from his palace.

The statement reads:

“Coming from the palace, with what I was told by my late paternal grandmother who is a descendant of Oba Ovonramwen Nogbaisi and also reading from factual Historical books, let me share this Knowledge with you all on Eko/Lagos.

“Modern day Lagos was founded by Prince Ado, the son of the Oba of Benin, Prince Ado was the first Oba of Lagos, the son of the Bini King, Prince Ado, named the town Eko until the Portuguese explorer Ruy de Sequeira changed the Maritime town to Lagos, which at that time from 1942 was Portuguese expedition center down the African Coast.

“It was a major centre of the slave trade until 1851. Lagos was annexed by Britain via the Lagos treaty of cession in 1861, ending the consular period and starting the British Colonial Period. The remainder of modern-day Nigeria was seized in 1886 when the Colony and Protectorate of Nigeria were established in 1914 Lagos was declared its capital due to the struggle of the Bini King.

“Lagos experienced growth prior to the British Colonial rule and even more rapid growth during the Colonial rule throughout the 1960s, 70s, continued through the 80s and 90s till date. Thanks to the Awori’s, Bini’s, Yoruba’s, migrants across the nation and the world at large, as no particular group of people can take the glory alone.

“Lagos is made up of Lagoons and creeks. The Lagos lagoon, Lagos Harbour, five cone creeks, Ebute-Metta creeks, Porto-Novo creeks, New canal, Badagry creeks, Kuramo waters and Lighthouse creeks.

“The Awori’s and Bini’s are known to be the first settlers of the Eko land. The Awori’s are speakers of a distinct dialect close to that of the Yoruba language with a rich Bini mixture. Traditionally, Awori’s were found in Ile-Ife, they were known to be the Bini’s who followed their self-exiled Prince, the first son of the Ogiso (now called Oba) of the Benin Kingdom, whose step-mother was after his head.

“The exiled Benin Prince Izoduwa known to the Yorubas as Ooduwa (Oduduwa) was made the ruler of the Ife people due to his powers and followers from the Great Benin-Kingdom.

“Izoduwa (Ooduwa) was made the first King of Ile-Ife in 1230 AD. His followers from his father’s Kingdom in Benin are the today’s Awori people who settled in Eko now called Lagos.

“In 1300, the King of Benin-Empire heard from one of his traders who was a settler in Eko on how the Bini’s were treated by the Awori’s who lived in their area. Upon hearing this, the King of Benin commanded the assembling of a war expedition, led by his son, Prince Ado, which headed the settlement of the Awori’s and demanded an explanation.

“On arriving Eko, Prince Ado and his Army were more than received. The Aworis asked the Bini Prince to stay and become their leader. Ado agreed on the condition that they surrender their sovereignty to the Oba of Benin, to which the people agreed. Hearing this, the King of Benin gave his permission for Prince Ado and the expedition to remain in Eko.

“The Oba of Benin sent some of his chiefs including the Eletu, Odibo, Obanikoro and others to assist his son, Oba Ado in the running of Eko.

“From the crowning of Prince Ado as the first Oba of Lagos (then called Eko), Lagos served as a major center for slave trade from which the Aworis, the Oba of Benin and his son the Oba of Lagos and all the children/descendants who took over as his successors for over four centuries supported the trade.

“The Oba of Benin was the head of the Benin Empire which is the present-day Western, Southern and Eastern modern day Nigeria. The King never obliged anyone to speak the Bini language as he believed everyone was entitled to their own choice of language.

“The name Eko was given to it by the first king of Lagos, Oba Ado, the young and vibrant Prince from Benin. Eko was the land now known as Lagos Island, where the king palace was built.

“The palace is called Idugaran meaning “palace built on pepper farm” Oba Ado and the warriors from Benin together with the early Bini’s settlers in Eko and the Awori people settled in the southern part of Eko called “Isale Eko”. “Isale literally means bottom “. Must have been used to indicate downtown (as in downtown Lagos)

“Until the coming in of the Benin’s 1300AD, Lagos geographical boundary was Lagos mainland, Lagos Island, the seat of the Oba of Lagos then consisted of a pepper farm and fishing post. No one was living there.

“About 1450 AD some Yorubas who hailed from Isheri in Ogun-state and Ekiti were allowed by the King to settle in Eko during a war, they came in a very large numbers thereby surpassing the numbers of the Awori’s and Bini’s. (Hence Yorubas claim to own Eko due to their numbers).

“Oba Ado fell in love with a beautiful woman whose father was Awori and mother a daughter to one of the chiefs; they had two sons and also a daughter Erelu Kuti, who begot Ologun Kutere who later became King.”

http://www.weeklypostng.co.uk/2017/05/oba-of-benin-head-of-benin-empire-owns.html?m=1
Re: Itsekiri Are Part Of The Greater Oduduwa Family- Ooni by gregyboy(m): 9:58pm On Apr 09, 2021
Fezz:

I have observed you for a while and to be honest I don't see you as a smart guy. Your rivals are attacking you left, right and centre and all you observed on this thread is to attack me. You are funny. Let me give you words of advise here, it's left for you to heed to my advise or not. It's better for you to go and study the foundational history of other kingdoms under the benin empire such as the urohbos, esans etc. This might shed more light on the missing links that the benins need to have a upper hand against their rivals. Your knowledge on benin history is too narrow and the yorubas are taking advantage of your narrow knowledge.

There is one thing you should understand, the yorubas are hell bent on destroying the benin Kingdom history, they don't mind telling all the lies in this world to accomplish that goal. They are playing dirty and they are quite determined to succeed.

I'm sure you have noticed that its not just the ile-ifes that are debunking the benin history. Everyone of the yoruba tribes are working together to obliterate the benin history out of the history books, but all I see on nairaland is the benins (edo speakers) trying to fight this media war all by themselves. My advise to you is to go and meet your afemai brothers, the esans etc... come together, broaden your knowledge, connect all the missing dots with facts and hit the yorubas hard.

The yorubas have studied benin history to a very large extent and their sole aim to debunk and discredit benin history so that when Nigeria finally divides they will claim the heritage of the benin Kingdom. So you better wise up and step up your game.

Go and do your research on the founding fathers of igodomigodo and you will come across pa idu. Don't attack me next time because I'm not the enemy. Wise up

Nothing like pa idu, and am working harder than you think to connect benin history

I have made many success, just by going through my profile you will see and attest to it,
Currently researching on the origin of benin

And i wouldn't be happy someone coming with pa idu fairy-tales that would breed more ground for mythism

And again there is was no pa idu, that gave birth to the various edoid sub group

Auchi towns for example came in early 16Ad after the idah war, and not an imaginary pa idu, that begot such towns, the urhobos resulted from benin mass migration into original urhobos areas and influenced it
Re: Itsekiri Are Part Of The Greater Oduduwa Family- Ooni by samuk: 10:01pm On Apr 09, 2021
Fezz:

Nice one, just to add, Benin is too vast to be viewed from a narrow prism. Every tribes that claimed Benin ancestry and left Benin centuries ago left with different strands/piece of Benin history that will sound strange to those at the heart of the empire today. I have read historical accounts of pre colonial Benin that I find difficult to reconcile with the Benin history I know and if not that these accounts were written by eyewitnesses to the events, it would have be difficult to believe them.

The study of Benin history can't be narrowed down to Benin city and Edo state alone. There are still numerous pre colonial writings of Benin history in various European languages still yet to be translated. No one person can claim to know Benin history more than others and my advice is whenever we come across new information coming from a Benin compatriot, we shouldn't be too quick to attack.

We all should stick to the area of Benin history we know, there is hardly anyone around hear that can claim to be expert in Benin history, we are all still scratching the surface.

Benin compatriot telling Benin history best to their ability are not enemies, if you don't agree, you can simply just ignore it, at the end of the day, it's left for them to support their claims if they wish. We all just listen to the video of Oba of Lagos which was less than a minute, yet someone still find the need to misinterpret what was clearly said and there were Yorubas that supported the lies whilst others said nothing. You will hardly find any Yoruba calling out one of their own no matter the amount of lies being told.

The Yoruba have a mission and deploying all means and especially lies to steal Benin history and yet some of us are looking for fault amongst their compatriots, not a very wise move.

Why do the Igbo call Benin Idu?
Why do the Urhobos call Benin Aka and others that interacted with Benin have several more names that will sound strange to the modern Benin person. All these names carry their own history that should be study, we must all approach Benin history with broad minds while we remain vigilant to Yoruba lies that started in late 1800s.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

The 40 Something Nigerian Woman Who Is Not Married / Eze Ukoha Remains Ezieogo Of Ebem — EODU, Backs April 8 Chieftaincy Conferment / 10 Reasons Ibadan Is Better Than Lagos -hashimyussufamao

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 160
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.