Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,610 members, 7,847,554 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 08:38 PM

Ado Awaye, Oyo: The Only Suspended Lake In Africa (Pictures, Video) - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ado Awaye, Oyo: The Only Suspended Lake In Africa (Pictures, Video) (50438 Views)

Is Asokoro, Abuja The Best Precinct In West Africa? (Pictures) / ThePhotoblogger's Amazing Documentary Of Ado Awaye, Oyo State / A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ado Awaye, Oyo: The Only Suspended Lake In Africa (Pictures, Video) by charlesucheh(m): 4:56pm On Apr 23, 2021
if its suspended, then why is it that Important?
Adongerrrrrrriiiiiiiiit...
Re: Ado Awaye, Oyo: The Only Suspended Lake In Africa (Pictures, Video) by Chirowman(m): 5:29pm On Apr 23, 2021
Beautiful
Re: Ado Awaye, Oyo: The Only Suspended Lake In Africa (Pictures, Video) by masseratti: 5:33pm On Apr 23, 2021
How is it suspended? There are alot of lakes like this in the world.
Re: Ado Awaye, Oyo: The Only Suspended Lake In Africa (Pictures, Video) by DMCY: 5:34pm On Apr 23, 2021
rottenPussy:
I’d love to have my couchie eaten by the lake kiss

Try go dip your leg inside agbomofunyake hole when water is there, trust me not only will your coochie be eaten your entire body sef go get taken careof there grin grin grin
Re: Ado Awaye, Oyo: The Only Suspended Lake In Africa (Pictures, Video) by AnanseK(m): 5:35pm On Apr 23, 2021
Interesting!
Only two suspended lakes in the world, one in Nigeria in Oyo State . In which country is the other one and what’s the name of that lake please?
Re: Ado Awaye, Oyo: The Only Suspended Lake In Africa (Pictures, Video) by FaruqMadridCr7(m): 5:38pm On Apr 23, 2021
Is the water not moving?
Re: Ado Awaye, Oyo: The Only Suspended Lake In Africa (Pictures, Video) by EMMY76: 5:53pm On Apr 23, 2021
The lake drawing someone to the very bottom when it's full might just be a myth have the locals seen anything like that before?
Re: Ado Awaye, Oyo: The Only Suspended Lake In Africa (Pictures, Video) by egorov(m): 6:01pm On Apr 23, 2021
tuzle:
I have a question about the small hole that if u put your leg inside when there is water, u get drawn in, but please how does a human fit into that small hole?

Naso I ask myself when I went there. I wanted to put my leg, it was a lady that drew me back. Funny stories behind many tourist centres in Nigeria, those people just cook up mouth to mouth stories and feed every generation that comes there.
Na ife own shock me pass, many stories that choke.
Re: Ado Awaye, Oyo: The Only Suspended Lake In Africa (Pictures, Video) by egorov(m): 6:02pm On Apr 23, 2021
AnanseK:
Interesting!
Only two suspended lakes in the world, one in Nigeria in Oyo State . In which country is the other one and what’s the name of that lake please?

Colorado, USA

1 Like

Re: Ado Awaye, Oyo: The Only Suspended Lake In Africa (Pictures, Video) by theTranslator: 6:04pm On Apr 23, 2021
masseratti:
How is it suspended? There are alot of lakes like this in the world.
suspended means it's on a hill
there are only two of such in the world
the second is in the US

try to understand before posting

thank you.

1 Like

Re: Ado Awaye, Oyo: The Only Suspended Lake In Africa (Pictures, Video) by masseratti: 6:08pm On Apr 23, 2021
theTranslator:
the second is in the US

thank you.
are you sure?
Re: Ado Awaye, Oyo: The Only Suspended Lake In Africa (Pictures, Video) by adexmikky: 6:12pm On Apr 23, 2021
masseratti:
are you sure?
I'm not sure there's only two of that in the world. A lot of this kind are all around especially in those Scandinavian countries. Sweden, Norway, Iceland, etc.
Re: Ado Awaye, Oyo: The Only Suspended Lake In Africa (Pictures, Video) by seangy4konji: 6:32pm On Apr 23, 2021
i wish i can be going up and down but the hustle to sustain no make me get extra energy to explore..i know say God go make everything soft soom///
Re: Ado Awaye, Oyo: The Only Suspended Lake In Africa (Pictures, Video) by NamelessOGBENI(m): 6:43pm On Apr 23, 2021
Vote of Thanks.

I want to say a big thank you to the OP for giving us this wonderful privilege to travel without moving an inch under this heat. Thanks again for the photographer, you've got eyes for nice and interesting angle, my prayer for you is may keep going higher. Now more importantly to all the rationale humans here who don't believe in legends or superstition, I wish you all the best and finally to those who will get angry at this horrible comment, it's my utmost desire that God will give you sense to do the needful next time.

Gentlemen, shall we...
Re: Ado Awaye, Oyo: The Only Suspended Lake In Africa (Pictures, Video) by BluntTheApostle(m): 7:10pm On Apr 23, 2021
One beautiful thing about this tourist site is that it is rare.

There are only two suspended lakes in the whole world.

And one is in our dear country, Nigeria.

So sweet!!!
Re: Ado Awaye, Oyo: The Only Suspended Lake In Africa (Pictures, Video) by akigbemaru: 7:16pm On Apr 23, 2021
travelwaka:
The Seven Mysteries of Ado Awaye

1. Oke Ishage (Ishage Rock): This is the first It is a vertical standing rock which has been standing for centuries. The legend behind this rock is when there is famine or lack of rain in the town. The chief priest comes to the Rock with a white cloth to cover the piece of Rock. According to local sources, once this is done, it will rain within the next four days.

2. Odo Iya Alaro (Iya Alaro Lake): This is another lake at Ado Awaye named after a woman specializes in the art of tye and dye. Several years after the death of Iya Alaro. The lake still retains the tye and dye look though it has been abandoned for many years. It has lush green vegetation growing over it which made it not suitable for drinking or bathing.

3. Elephant Tree: This elephant tree at Ado Awaye is a fallen tree with root looking like the head of an elephant. The formation of this tree with eyes, trunk and the head that looks like that of an elephant. It has become a favourite spot for taking pictures.

4. Ese Awon Agba: This is another destination at Ado Awaye, known as the footprints of the elders. It’s a collection of footprints scattered all over the mountain.
Re: Ado Awaye, Oyo: The Only Suspended Lake In Africa (Pictures, Video) by onuman: 7:17pm On Apr 23, 2021
That tarred but bushy and unmarked road to the lake put me off from watching the video complete.
Nigeria politicians go abroad on tourism, see how roads to tourists sites are maintained and marked, they return to Nigeria and build half by half roads
Re: Ado Awaye, Oyo: The Only Suspended Lake In Africa (Pictures, Video) by ThierryJay: 7:36pm On Apr 23, 2021
egorov:

Colorado, USA

That claim cannot be true. Crater lake in Oregon,US is a very big lake at the very top/mouth of an Old volcanic mountain.

And there are many lakes all over the world that accumulated in craters of expired volcanos. Based on your explanation, they are all suspended lakes.
Re: Ado Awaye, Oyo: The Only Suspended Lake In Africa (Pictures, Video) by ThierryJay: 7:38pm On Apr 23, 2021
theTranslator:
the second is in the US

thank you.

That claim cannot be true. Crater lake in Oregon,US is a very big lake at the very top/mouth of an Old volcanic mountain.

And there are many lakes all over the world that accumulated in craters of expired volcanos. Based on your explanation, they are all suspended lakes.

I think the claim about the Iyake lake is only to reinforce the legend around it. Its totally false.

1 Like

Re: Ado Awaye, Oyo: The Only Suspended Lake In Africa (Pictures, Video) by Ghostmode2two(m): 7:38pm On Apr 23, 2021
Rushing to get fishing hook and baits, all roads lead to the suspended lake. Lala please join me as we could catch a very big snake
Re: Ado Awaye, Oyo: The Only Suspended Lake In Africa (Pictures, Video) by realstars: 8:01pm On Apr 23, 2021
Wonders Hall Never End.
Re: Ado Awaye, Oyo: The Only Suspended Lake In Africa (Pictures, Video) by egorov(m): 8:46pm On Apr 23, 2021
ThierryJay:

Re: Ado Awaye, Oyo: The Only Suspended Lake In Africa (Pictures, Video) by Buffalo2(m): 8:54pm On Apr 23, 2021
I schooled in that village. Baptist primary school and progressive Secondary Grammar School.
Re: Ado Awaye, Oyo: The Only Suspended Lake In Africa (Pictures, Video) by Nobody: 9:18pm On Apr 23, 2021
omojesu202:
I am dead
Wake up guy, you're going no where.
Iku kinni.
Ode, loun ti ku, mteww.
Re: Ado Awaye, Oyo: The Only Suspended Lake In Africa (Pictures, Video) by DrChukki: 9:47pm On Apr 23, 2021
I visited this place in 2019 during my NYSC.
I couldn't believe Nigeria has such a tourist centre but they're not making any money from it...
Re: Ado Awaye, Oyo: The Only Suspended Lake In Africa (Pictures, Video) by ikorodureporta: 10:08pm On Apr 23, 2021
Which KYNE footprint
Those holes na weathered minerals cause am esp around limestone ateas
Re: Ado Awaye, Oyo: The Only Suspended Lake In Africa (Pictures, Video) by Sunnybabe(m): 10:24pm On Apr 23, 2021
ff
Re: Ado Awaye, Oyo: The Only Suspended Lake In Africa (Pictures, Video) by theTranslator: 10:28pm On Apr 23, 2021
ThierryJay:

I think the claim about the Iyake lake is only to reinforce the legend around it. Its totally false.
this I too know spirit isn't good
I also did geography
I was the best in my school

You behave like a child

The fact that you could always make research makes you look more stupid
Google,Bing,ask etc
But you must show off false knowledge??

Re: Ado Awaye, Oyo: The Only Suspended Lake In Africa (Pictures, Video) by TOYNEX(f): 10:56pm On Apr 23, 2021
Nigeria is a badly managed beauty.

if you are interested in fabric blinging, Stoning, stone works and board works.check my signature

Re: Ado Awaye, Oyo: The Only Suspended Lake In Africa (Pictures, Video) by bukxy: 11:11pm On Apr 23, 2021
wow! i visited this place 2018
God is great!!!
Re: Ado Awaye, Oyo: The Only Suspended Lake In Africa (Pictures, Video) by masseratti: 11:53pm On Apr 23, 2021
adexmikky:
I'm not sure there's only two of that in the world. A lot of this kind are all around especially in those Scandinavian countries. Sweden, Norway, Iceland, etc.
exactly
Re: Ado Awaye, Oyo: The Only Suspended Lake In Africa (Pictures, Video) by travelwaka: 12:34am On Apr 24, 2021
The other one is in the united States, colorado to be precise , it's called the hanging lake
AnanseK:
Interesting!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A City Inside A City In Abuja, Nigeria / Lekki Toll Hike Causes Lock-Down On Lagos Island (Photos) / My Trip To Hawaii, The Aloha State In USA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.