Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,374 members, 7,819,362 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:55 PM

Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! (19115 Views)

What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 / Must I Study Medicine Or Pharmacology In Order To Sell Drugs In Nigeria? / Top5 Jobs That Pay More Than Medicine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by tobechi74: 6:00pm On Apr 29, 2021
False
Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by bigpicture001: 6:00pm On Apr 29, 2021
Doctors dey learn where programmers dey oooo

Av seen and believed

2 Likes

Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by landforeast(m): 6:00pm On Apr 29, 2021
Nigeria Factor also affects Doctors, more reason you see many of them trooping to Canada. Nigeria is a Talent and dream killer, best way is to acquire the necessary degree and skill and pray for an open door.
Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by AntichristXXX: 6:02pm On Apr 29, 2021
Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by Akwamkpuruamu: 6:03pm On Apr 29, 2021
The only career I will force my little girl to go for with all I have is IT.

5 Likes

Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by DECLAN2015(m): 6:03pm On Apr 29, 2021
Marvieduke:
Studying medicine was difficult and I hail those that studied that course because you guys are the real deal to life. Cheers to all doctors and nurses all over the world.

In nigeria
Not those that was bought in Cyprus or Belarus.

2 Likes

Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by Akwamkpuruamu: 6:03pm On Apr 29, 2021
bigpicture001:

Av seen and believed

I agree with u

3 Likes

Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by iscom(m): 6:04pm On Apr 29, 2021
Wetin concern me self? Abeg make ona buy original powerbanks. Click the link below.
Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by MTAIYEM: 6:04pm On Apr 29, 2021
I see some truths...
Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by Onyeka8: 6:06pm On Apr 29, 2021
ictjobber:
No parent want their kid to suffer..
Passion doesn't pay bills in Nigeria, but a good degree does. And the only good degree in Nigeria na MBBS, others na nonsense — The oga pata pats of them all na BL (BACHELOR OF LAW).

Are u saying Law is not a good course. Please make me understand.
Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by Perfectman91: 6:06pm On Apr 29, 2021
I used to think passion was everything but not anymore in a country like ours. Go for a course that can sort your every bills later

2 Likes

Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by Myer(m): 6:06pm On Apr 29, 2021
33bandit:
sequel to this thread , https://www.nairaland.com/6525528/mum-insists-medicine-nothing

....I've had a similar encounter which im inundated to share .
I grew up in a loving family tbh there wasn't a case of tyranny or blackmail ,my parents just try to give you enough reasons why you should do certain things until you run out of arguments to buttress why you don't think their discisions is or was rather the right one

anyways I had passion for technical drawing during the course of secondary school ,I was one of the best students in that art form ,however my first jamb which I registered and had applied architecture was a disaster, although I could remember vividly we was in a friendly competition as to who would secure admission first coupled with the pressure of writing waec and neco

I think I discovered nairaland during that time because we scout the internet throughout the night with our illegal phones looking for who would send the waec expo ,shit was wild tbh

long story short after being shown the realities of the job market in nigeria and using alot of relatives as examples loooool ..I finally settled for medicine..im an average student ,that is to say I've to work hard befor I get good grades ...,not naturally high IQ for those who care about the neurological aspect ,thats what it is

wrote jamb 5 times and now I'm here ..did I regret studying med? ..never did, there are challenges but whatever it is ,it would be worth it .

the job market for medical sci graduate is wide and one does not have to be at the hospital everyday to have that fulfilment ,some of my seniors are now teachers in the dept .
thing is medicine just propels you to a second class citizen immediately you graduate
as far as ones parents would fully support them to study medicine I don't see reasons why they should refuse that offer ,shit is expensive anyway .

whatever you do in nigeria ..passion is never enough ,just do what works ,this isn't anyway deride people who have followed their passion and made it

there's always a percentage lads .

NB I didnt edit this ,time no dey!

That's why they say what the elders see sitting down, a child cannot see it even if he climbs a tree.

God bless our parents.

3 Likes

Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by BananaPeel(m): 6:06pm On Apr 29, 2021
33bandit:
sequel to this thread , https://www.nairaland.com/6525528/mum-insists-medicine-nothing

....I've had a similar encounter which im inundated to share .
I grew up in a loving family tbh there wasn't a case of tyranny or blackmail ,my parents just try to give you enough reasons why you should do certain things until you run out of arguments to buttress why you don't think their discisions is or was rather the right one

anyways I had passion for technical drawing during the course of secondary school ,I was one of the best students in that art form ,however my first jamb which I registered and had applied architecture was a disaster, although I could remember vividly we was in a friendly competition as to who would secure admission first coupled with the pressure of writing waec and neco

I think I discovered nairaland during that time because we scout the internet throughout the night with our illegal phones looking for who would send the waec expo ,shit was wild tbh

long story short after being shown the realities of the job market in nigeria and using alot of relatives as examples loooool ..I finally settled for medicine..im an average student ,that is to say I've to work hard befor I get good grades ...,not naturally high IQ for those who care about the neurological aspect ,thats what it is

wrote jamb 5 times and now I'm here ..did I regret studying med? ..never did, there are challenges but whatever it is ,it would be worth it .

the job market for medical sci graduate is wide and one does not have to be at the hospital everyday to have that fulfilment ,some of my seniors are now teachers in the dept .
thing is medicine just propels you to a second class citizen immediately you graduate
as far as ones parents would fully support them to study medicine I don't see reasons why they should refuse that offer ,shit is expensive anyway .

whatever you do in nigeria ..passion is never enough ,just do what works ,this isn't anyway deride people who have followed their passion and made it

there's always a percentage lads .

NB I didnt edit this ,time no dey!
So true, cos some of us didn't try harder to get a high Jamb subsequently and settled for Chemistry due to low Jamb score, which in real sense is even harder than medicine. Not regretting though but Children should listen to parents who wants them to settle for Chemistry. In some of our cases, nobody even pushed us but we just did what we had to do.
Big ups to pushy parents.

3 Likes

Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by DECLAN2015(m): 6:07pm On Apr 29, 2021
Kestolove:
95% are jobless cause dey didn't study medicine, op u damn ryt

I have not seen a jobless doctor
Althoght the current situation of nigeria affect everyone but at least they somehow fair better than the rest

2 Likes

Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by Rich4god(m): 6:08pm On Apr 29, 2021
obonujoker:
Rubbish.

Engineering is a lot better than Medicine... Versatility in all area of life rather than to be confined to one paradigm of thought grin

In Nigeria, how many of the engr graduate to get a job in engineering field.

Go look at the top management staff of most Nigerian banks, a lot are engineering. There was a time accountant were crying that engineering graduates are taking over their job. In most banks in Nigeria, it's usually engineering graduates and science related courses that pass interview. Intelligent wise, engineering students are good, but there are no companies in Nigeria to absorb 3% of engineering graduates.

2 Likes

Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by samuelevans(m): 6:12pm On Apr 29, 2021
smile, that's the reason why i spent almost 7 years now in higher institution. in 2013 after my jamb, my brother insisted i must study medicine and surgery in KSU but i love Computer Science. then i followed his instructions and choose Med. & Surg. instead of my Computer science but chooses Computer science as second choice in polytechnic ( KSP). when i did my post utme i score 47.50. and the cut off mark for KSU was ( i think around 40.00). but Med. and Surg. cut off mark was around 58.00 and computer science was around 42.50. baba naso them no carry me ooh, if i know i for choose my Computer science jeje at KSU. i end up studying the computer science in polytechnic. i spent 2 years for N.D, 2 years at home, then 3 years HND due to COVID-19. i think that's one of my Biggest mistake for taking another person opinion. Study any course my brother na God the help person.

2 Likes

Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by ikillbrokegirls: 6:12pm On Apr 29, 2021
bigpicture001:

Am seen and believed
I swear down bro.
Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by obonujoker(m): 6:12pm On Apr 29, 2021
Rich4god:

In Nigeria, how many of the engr graduate to get a job in engineering field.

Go look at the top management staff of most Nigerian banks, a lot are engineering. There was a time accountant were crying that engineering graduates are taking over their job. In most banks in Nigeria, it's usually engineering graduates and science related courses that pass interview. Intelligent wise, engineering students are good, but there are no companies in Nigeria to absorb 3% of engineering graduates.

Hence the "versatility"
Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by Nobody: 6:12pm On Apr 29, 2021
obonujoker:
Rubbish.

Engineering is a lot better than Medicine... Versatility in all area of life rather than to be confined to one paradigm of thought grin
do your research well

1 Like

Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by Kestolove(m): 6:13pm On Apr 29, 2021
DECLAN2015:

I have not seen a jobless doctor
Althoght the current situation of nigeria affect everyone but at least they somehow fair better than the rest
as a medical student you get job offer from ur state b4 u graduate, dey even go as far as giving u scholarship not to make u accept any other offer, northern states are well known for this

1 Like

Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by SpicyMimi(f): 6:13pm On Apr 29, 2021
Lol as if Studying Medicine is rice and beans!

Are you saying people now study Medicine because of a brighter future? Please just don’t work in any hospital biko! These doctors can no longer be trusted.

2 Likes

Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by NairaMaster1(m): 6:14pm On Apr 29, 2021
ictjobber:
No parent want their kid to suffer..
Passion doesn't pay bills in Nigeria, but a good degree does. And the only good degree in Nigeria na MBBS, others na nonsense — The oga pata pats of them all na BL (BACHELOR OF LAW).

Kikikikikiki

Charge and bail lawyer kill you there

2 Likes

Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by Nobody: 6:14pm On Apr 29, 2021
Mindlog:
Having someone who have no innate passion for medicine in medical school is not to the best interest of all.

you dont need to have passion for anything ..you just need to pass test and exams ..
no body had passion for secondary school and waec but we strived and passed it

2 Likes

Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by BigDawsNet: 6:15pm On Apr 29, 2021
Medicine as a profession is not for all

We all have same brain capacity

But we unable to utilize equally

Medicine is not a child course

You need to be extra smart and brilliant to become a successful and qualified one...

Even if ur folks force you to study any medicine...

If you sure your brain can't be expanded to that level

Don't die with grade depression

Just come out clean and confess, your parents will consider

Good luck guys

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by ikillbrokegirls: 6:16pm On Apr 29, 2021
Akwamkpuruamu:
The only career I will force my little girl to go for with all I have is IT.
Now you're talking bro.

i will keep saying this programmer are richer than doctors.
Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by Akwamkpuruamu: 6:17pm On Apr 29, 2021
ikillbrokegirls:
Now you're talking bro.

i will keep saying this programmer are richer than doctors.

I discovered that pathway late. If when I graduated in 2010, I had gone back to pick some IT courses I would have been richer than now
Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by Nobody: 6:18pm On Apr 29, 2021
McStoic:

Adonbilivit ho haa! Anyways for me, I would rather study pharmacy than medicine. Reason being pharmacists achieve more in shorter periods after graduation than doctors. Pharmacy can thrive anywhere but a doctor needs some sort of synergy and help to make it soon.
Apart from the Federal Hospitals where doctors are heavily pampered right from their days of housemanship to consultancy, pharmacists are already on the move with or without the hospitals after their internship.

I have many pharmacy friends who are into sales representative stuff, retail and different kind of supplies. They supply drugs to different locations with different demands. Also, once you have drugs, an illness is half cured. And there are consultant pharmacists who are good in what they do that you may not readily need a doctor. Those pharmacology and pharmacodynamics versed guys etc.

As for those saying doctors are in high demand abroad, even so are other health professionals. A consultant doctor friend once revealed that majority of the doctors who travel abroad are those who have been sitting for their consultancy exams repeatedly and not passing it. I know someone who spent about 5 years but couldn't get his consultancy. He is now in Saudi Arabia. Several of them are in UK too.

The OP is one reason their is so much bitterness existing between doctors and other health professionals. For people like him, it's usually a status thing. I know some village guys who read medicine in school because their families were hell bent on having a doctor as a status symbol. Against someone whose parents allowed to naturally chose medicine as a course, you will see different exhibition of class and carriage. IT'S VERY WRONG TO CHOOSE A COURSE FOR YOUR CHILDREN AGAINST THEIR NATURAL ABILITIES AND POTENTIALS..
Let me just stop here.
tbh ba ..without mincing words a degree in medicine is better ..right from housemanship money don dey flow ..
Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by makizee(m): 6:18pm On Apr 29, 2021
You simply used your own personal experience to conclude for so many others that studied medicine but have found fulfillment doing something else or even some that are doctors now but are frustrated within the system.. Well, because of the situation in Nigeria, the only advantage is how better countries are ready to take our Naija trained doctors.
Your point is Valid for you and you only.
Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by Nobody: 6:20pm On Apr 29, 2021
DrDax:

Over-indulged and over-pampered kids who know nothing about life and what awaits them will soon come here with their "woke" arguments.

May we not bite our fingers in pain of regret.

I say, study the medicine, and afterwards go and pursue your passion later.
loool i like you for this
Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by Nobody: 6:26pm On Apr 29, 2021
chinchonglee:
Nonsense! Do you know who second class citizens are
i dont have an idea of the social strata in nigeria ..i just assumed
Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by Matheusmartin: 6:29pm On Apr 29, 2021
33bandit:

tbh ba ..without mincing words a degree in medicine is better ..right from housemanship money don dey flow ..

U never hear say money nor dey for house manship again

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

10 Professional Codes Of Conduct For Managers. / English Language Test At The U.s. Embassy - Administrative Clerk / Fg January Salary 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.