Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,977 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:16 AM

Moonlight Kiss By Angelsss(historical Romance) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Moonlight Kiss By Angelsss(historical Romance) (3462 Views)

The Prince Of Qalul By Angelsss / One And Only Kiss By Author Feathers / Kiss Me One More Night - Fiction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Moonlight Kiss By Angelsss(historical Romance) by Angelsssss(f): 2:08am On May 04, 2021
CHAPTER ONE
ALDRICH POV

The Duke’s castle was covered in snow; flakes rained down on the massive structure mercilessly. Another winter had come, and this one would be the longest. It felt like the longest. Aldrich Clairborne had just lost his father and the responsibility of the Wandsworth Dukedom had been tossed upon his shoulder. Being a Duke wasn’t a duty to Aldrich; it was a burden, a great one. He had never thought such responsibility would be thrust on him at such an age when men were still finding their path in life.
He was just a score and nine in age. He was tall and lean with a sturdy body; but his looks betrayed those that chose him for the position. He wasn’t ready. He had never been. He had always depended on his father for everything. Ander Clairborne was the best father that any son could ever ask for. Aldrich was the first and only son of the late Duke; so his father had showered all his love upon him. Ander had been a very patient man; patient with his household, patient with the inhabitants of Wandsworth. He was greatly loved by all, even in the neighbouring lands. He had been hardworking, purposeful and wise. All these attributes, he had passed them over to Aldrich. Just that, Aldrich wasn’t ready to make use of them. He’d rather sulk and spend his nights at the gaming house than take hold of the Dukedom.
Since the demise of his father, he’d changed. He’d gone from very bright and cheerful, to dark and reserved. And his behaviour got everyone in the castle every worried; especially his mother, the Duchess of Wandsworth.
His dark and bushy brows furrowed together as he caught a sight in the thick snow. A frown ate at his jaw. Aldrich drew closer to the window. A little lamb was lost, and it bleated for its mother. The sight of the helpless creature melted the hardness in him. He had to help it. He hated to see people and creatures alike, in such a dire situation.
Suddenly, a strong perfume danced into his nostrils and reigned over the atmosphere. Aldrich sensed that he wasn’t alone. He swirled round and found his cousin, Beauregard, glaring at him. Aldrich chose to ignore him. He had given his guards strict orders not to be disturbed by anyone, including his mother. Aldrich’s fingers curled around the hilt of his sword as he made for the door.
“You don’t look happy to see me, cousin.” Beauregard gritted his teeth. He sensed Aldrich’s discomfort, the moment he had walked into the hall.
“I gave strict orders to be left alone.” Aldrich ignored him and continued towards the door. He and Beauregard had been friends since childhood. Beauregard’s father was Ander’s older brother; but he and his wife had died from the pox plague, leaving him a young orphan. Beauregard had grown up within this castle with Aldrich. They were more than friends, they were brothers.
“How long would you grief over your father? He would have wanted you to move on and be happy!” Beau snapped at his cousin.
Days had turned to weeks, and weeks to months. When would Aldrich rise up to the responsibility before him?
“As long as I like, he was my father. I loved him and he loved me. This is what you and others don’t understand,” Ander mumbled.
Beau shrugged, “if you don’t rise to your responsibility to Wandsworth, you could be taken out. We both know that your position is enviable. You have the largest barn and Wine-keep. You are the wealthiest and youngest Duke. Don’t you think some people would want to amass all you have worked for?”
Aldrich pulled in a deep breath. His cousin was a very ambitious man, but he wasn’t that way.
“They are free to take the position from me. I want nothing but my liberation.”
“Your liberation?” Beau scoffed. He knew his cousin was into a vice that was not befitting of nobility. He had paid some guards to follow the Duke, while he was out at night. It was shameful, really, that Aldrich would do something like that.
Aldrich’s heart skipped. He didn’t like the tone of his cousin’s voice. Did Beau know something? Well, at this point, he didn’t care. All he wanted was maximum time to grief his father and enjoy the delights that his secret brought.
“Let us not argue about my position. If anything happens to me, our family can still stand. I must leave now. I have work to do.” Aldrich pulled open the tall door and rushed into the dark hallway. He would step into the snow; he would rescue the poor little lamb.
Beauregard’s heart broke into a wild dance. If anything happened to Aldrich, he would be next in line for the throne. This was a prospect he had always considered since they were young. He had always wished to be Aldrich, but fate and life had robbed him of opportunity. Maybe, he was destined to rule Wandsworth after all.
Maybe if he worked for his ascension, that he could take his cousin’s place. He was about leaving the hall when a serving girl scurried in. She curtsied and bowed her head.
“The Duchess would like to see you in her chambers.”
“Alright,” Beau nodded, wondering why Aldrich’s mother would want to see him.
He cast one look at the throne which lay the centre of the room before strolling out. He hoped to sit upon it, one day.
“One day,” he whispered.

Outside the castle was frigging cold. Snowflakes pelted on his black robe, but he wasn’t deterred by the discomfort that he felt. Aldrich was determined to save the little lamb. He was able to get to the animal on time.
“There you are, I came to save you.” The lamb stopped bleating and peered at the human. With his strong hands, he grabbed the lamb from the mass of snow that covered it. Aldrich gently cleaned the remnants of ice from its fur. Now that he had rescued it, he had to find the owner.
“What do I do with you now?” A smile brightened his dark blue eyes as he glared at the lamb.
It wasn’t long before he heard the sound of running. When he turned around, he found a little girl, about the age of ten. The curls of her hair were wild and stubborn. And she had freckles over her face. She was a common girl. The smile on her face was priceless.
“Is he yours?” Aldrich smiled.
“Yes! Yes! You helped me.” The little girl was hesitant to go near the stranger.
“What is your name pretty one?” Aldrich advanced towards her.
“Yvettes,” she replied.
“Well here is your lamb Yvettes. Do not let is stray again.” Aldrich handed over the animal. She collected it happily and thanked him for his help.
Yvettes was about leaving, when he called her back. He dipped a thickly gloved hand into his pocket and pulled out a pouch. It was full of gold coins.
“Here, buy yourself a nice coat for the winter.”
The girl’s eyes radiated surprise, but it faded quickly. Her mouth flew wide open as she noticed the castle behind them.
“You are the Duke! I have seen the Duke!”
Aldrich watched the child in amazement. She wasn’t of noble blood, but she seemed so happy with her life. He wanted this joy back in his life.
“Yes I am.”

THE DUCHESS OF WANDSWORTH
Elena Clairborne stared in shock as her son trudged into the snow. Her heart leapt in fear as she imagined that his deep sorrow had made him lose his mind. How could a Duke do something like that? She hadn’t recovered from her shock, when she noticed his exchange with the little red haired girl. Elena pulled the curtains and sank into a cushion chair next to her window.
Since the death of her husband, she had noticed a lot of changes in Aldrich; negative changes. He had withdrawn into a shell. He was no longer her sweet son, who shared all his problems with her. He’d built a wall and locked himself in. Aldrich still grieved for his father, this she knew. The death of Ander had come hard on everyone; but she hadn’t expected Aldrich to be this soft, this weak.
“I have to do something,” she pressed a shaky hand against her chest.
She had noticed Aldrich’s absence from the palace for five nights, consecutively. Whenever she asked his guards where their Duke was, they had no answer for her. Aldrich was leading a secret life, and she had to be part of it. Did he have a paid mistress? Or did he have a love interest that he secretly met?
“Come right in, the door is open!” Elena bellowed.
She had sent for Beauregard who was like a second son to her. He was closest to the Duke, and would know all of Aldrich’s secret.
“My lady, you sent for me.” Beauregard bowed before her.
“Sit,” she pointed at a chair next to hers.
Beauregard was still in the dark about this sudden meeting. The Duchess had a worried look in her eyes, even the heavy adornment of her eyes couldn’t hide the pain. She was troubled. She was in sorrow.
“Your cousin has not been himself for a while now. I am starting to think that what my friends say is true.” She started.
“What do your friends say?” Beau raised a brow.
The Duchess had a circle of friends; rich women and of noble blood. The one she liked especially was the Marquees of Islington. Lydia Beldon was one of her best friends, and she had been particularly happy when Aldrich took the Dukedom after his father’s death.
“A young man needs a woman by his side. When he is troubled, she could look after his heart and guard his broken spirit.” Those were the exact words that the Marquees had spoken to her, and she would take it.
Beauregard scoffed, he couldn’t believe his ears.
“You want Aldrich to get a wife?”
“Yes, is there anything wrong with that?” Elena asked.
Now that she thought about it, she realized that her friend was right. All Aldrich needed to bounce back to his normal self was a fine woman of class and pedigree. Elena couldn’t wait to speak to Aldrich about it.
“Do you have a woman in mind? Or would you rather, Aldrich search for his bride?” Beau asked.
Elena ran her slender fingers through her mass of black hair. The only young woman that came into her mind was her friend’s daughter. They would make a perfect pair. Noble blood and noble blood, nothing could separate them.
“I think Ariana Beldon may be the woman for the Duke.” A devious smile danced on her lips.
Beauregard’s face paled. If his cousin got married, that would secure his position as the Duke forever. He couldn’t let this happen. He had to buy himself time.
“Aldrich is not ready for marriage.”
“You know this how?” Elena caressed her brows.
“The Duke has been absent from this castle for some reasons. I believe you had called me for this.”
Beauregard had an opportunity to dissuade the woman from finding her son, a worthy bride. He would expose Aldrich’s entire secret before his mother. This would distract them for some time.
“Is there something I should know?” Elena lifted a brow.
“My Lady, I do not mean to snitch or cause you heartbreak…”
“Is my son seeing women from the brothel? Does he have a paid mistress?” Elena thundered. Her voice rose with her breathing. She was shaken and afraid. She knew what that would mean. The last noble man to exhibit such irresponsibility was later stripped off his title. She didn’t want that for her son. She didn’t want a scandal on the Clairbone name.
Beauregard sucked in some air and clasped his hands together.
“You must never tell him that I told you about his secret deeds.”
The Duchess nodded in agreement, “Tell me now.”

2 Likes

Re: Moonlight Kiss By Angelsss(historical Romance) by Angelsssss(f): 10:08pm On May 04, 2021
CHAPTER TWO
LUCY POV

Lucy had nothing doing in her brother’s empty castle, so she had decided to pay a visit to her friend, Ariana Beldon; the daughter of the Marquees of Islington. Lucy couldn’t stand the pain of watching her brother drown himself in liquor. Elan was a failing Baron, and he had lost a lot of money while gambling at a game house. It wasn’t a secret in the Barony of Ox-dale, that her brother was losing his wealth on a daily basis.
Their father had left them a lot of money, but Elan had hoarded it all. He was a ruthless spender, and wasted their fortune on unfruitful ventures. If he wasn’t whoring, he was at a gaming house. The Baron only returned to the castle whenever he was sober. And it was in his moments of grief and remorse, that Elan would write the finest of poems. Yes, the Baron’s artistic side was well known. If not for anything, it was his mastery at poetry that still earned him some respect in the society.
“You do not want to stay with me,” Elan groaned.
“You are not a child, Elan!” Lucy gritted her teeth and gathered her skirts. She missed her best friend, and she couldn’t wait to reach Islington.
“I am not a failure! I will rise again, and this Baron house will rise with me.” Elan poured more wine into his glass.
Lucy’s eyes welled up with tears. She wished her parents, especially her mother was still alive. Maybe, she would’ve talked some sense into her brother’s head. Elan was older than she was, but he never acted it. She was the one that ran the Barony in his absence. Sometimes, he would take a trip to France with his paid companions. Elan never ceased to amaze her. In his drunkenness, he had almost injured her some weeks back.
“You are not a failure brother, but your actions contradict your words.” She quickly moved away from him.
Elan sipped from his glass and glared at his younger sister. Lucy had grown into a very beautiful woman. She always reminded him of her.
“Where are you going?” He asked.
“To see a friend,” she answered.
“Be careful out there sister, you know how much I care.”
Lucy sighed, she was touched by his kind words.
“I want to see Ariana, the Marquees daughter. You know her, she is my friend.”
At the mention of the Marquees of Islington, Elan scoffed. He tossed the glass that contained rum, and fetched another with water. He had a game to play later tonight, he had to do it sober. He stood a chance of winning a great fortune from one of his old friends who was a Duke.
On such gaming nights, matters of society were discussed. Currently, Lydia Beldon, Marquees of Islington was an interesting topic. It was rumoured that she had killed her husband, Sebastian Beldon, so she could run his estates. Now, she was losing a lot of money, power and relevance in the society.
“You shouldn’t be in the company of losers.”
Lucy thought him drunk, “I must go now. We shall speak when you are better.”
“I am not drunk. The Marquees is fast fading. Don’t you think you should add richer and more influential friends to your circle?”
His words infuriated her, “I wouldn’t think of hanging out with the people you ask of me. You stole my fortune, and you gambled it away. I could never trust you.”
Before Elan could utter another word, Lucy strolled out of the dining hall angrily. Her brother was unrepentant. She had to find a way to save her fortune, before it was too late.
Out in the snow, a carriage awaited her. Lucy climbed in hurriedly and gave the man instructions.
“Islington,” she coughed.
As the carriage proceeded, Lucy pondered on her brother’s words. The last time she met with Ariana, she seemed to do very well. If the Marquees was broke as Elan suggested, then her friend was in trouble. Unlike her, Ariana was used to living in luxury, but her brother had made sure he had curtailed her spending. Lucy didn’t dress like the noble woman that she was. Her dresses weren’t sophisticated. They were simple. It was only in name, that one would know she was nobility.
The old man that rode the carriage had lived with them in the castle since they were little. His name was George. He had noticed Lucy’s sad face as she stepped into the carriage. He couldn’t help but ask.
“Are you alright Milady?”
Lucy shrugged, George’s deep baritone had broken the silence of the ride.
“We both know that I am not.”
Of course the old man knew what her problem was. He just needed to show concern.
“There could be hope for the Baron after all. You should be patient with him. With time, he will act in the way he is supposed to.”
Lucy sniggered, “Time is of the essence. It waits for no man. Soon, our debtors would override the castle and we would be left with nothing!”
“Your brother is a fine poet. He has earned the respect of the high class. No one would dare do something like that.”
The old man paused and pulled out a dirty brown paper from his pocket. He slipped it into an opening in the carriage, and Lucy grabbed it. She ran her eyes over the words on the paper. It came as a shock to her.
“Elan never told me!”
The Baron’s name was inscribed in bold letters. Her brother was organizing the biggest poetry show. The literate and wealthy would attend. Poetry was a thing of class, and the Baron had mastered it.
“The posters are everywhere. Maybe he wanted to tell you, maybe you were too busy to listen to him. You should go. His poems make everyone happy.”
Lucy chuckled at that. She loved her brother very much, but he was a tough person.
“I may go,” she shrugged. Lucy couldn’t wait to tell Ariana all about it. It had been a long time since the friends went out. She couldn’t wait to see her friend again.
“You should go. He is your brother, no matter what.” The old man advised.
Lucy sighed, “Yes, she is.”
She seldom thought ab0ut their mother, but anytime Elan misbehaved, she remembered the woman. Lucy had been very little when her mother had died. She had carried this pain with her as she grew up. She wished Elan could understand what she passed through, every time he did something untoward. Tears stung her eyes as her mother’s face flashed in her mind.
She quickly wiped a tear that threatened to spill on her cheek. She couldn’t cry now. She had to be strong for herself, and for Elan.

It wasn’t long before they reached Islington. Lucy alighted from the carriage and waved George goodbye. She would be spending a lot of time with her friend.
The guards by the entrance recognized her. They mumbled greetings as she ascended the stairs, towards the main door.
“Thank you,” she nodded and flashed each guard a smile.
Ariana had been expecting her. So, Lucy wasn’t surprised when a pair of slender hands pulled her in for a hug, the moment she’d stepped into the house.
“Come here, you…”
Ariana was thrilled to meet her friend again. She had a lot of things to share, but there had not been anyone for her. With Lucy around, she felt safe. She would tell Lucy everything that had happened in her absence.
“You look splendid in that dress.” Ariana ran her brown eyes over Lucy’s peachy dress.
The dress clung to her slim belly, and a healthy portion of her bosoms were bare. The golden hat matched with her golden eyes. Ariana had always thought Lucy, prettier than her. It was confirmed in this appearance.
“You flatter me. You are the beautiful one.” Lucy smiled.
Ariana was taller than she was. She had a neck like a swan’s; long, slim and glorious. Her eyes were firestones, piercing the heart of any man who dared to look. Her lips were small but sparkling red. She didn’t need any adornment. The Marquees daughter was one of the most beautiful girl in Islington and all the men of noble class wanted her.
“Enough! I missed you Lucy Wesley.” Ariana hugged her friend very tightly.
“I missed you too.” Lucy dropped a chaste peck on Ariana’s right cheek.
“Come now, there is something I must tell you.” Ariana grabbed her hand and led her towards the chamber where she stayed.
“Do you have a suitor?”
“Did you go with your mother to see the King?”
Ariana’s laugher travelled through the castlette.
“You have a way with words. I wonder why you aren’t into poetry.”
“Speaking of poetry, Elan organized a show. We should go. We haven’t stepped out in a long while. I think people missed seeing the attractive pair.” Lucy winked.
Ariana liked the sound of that.
“Thankfully, I have some new dresses and ribbons. We would show them off to Charlotte and Margerette.”
Lucy rolled her eyes. The twins, Charlotte and Margerette were the children of a powerful Earl to the south. They were snobbish. They refused to mingle with the other ladies of their age range.
“I do not care about those pampered brats. They are not worthy of our attention,” Lucy returned.
Soon, they were within Ariana’s chambers. As usual, the massive bed was well dressed and the room was neatly arranged. Some serving girls were dusting the windows when the friends stepped in.
“You may all leave now. Come back later.” Ariana released them from their duty.
“I missed this,” Lucy hopped on the bed and guffawed.
“Same here,” Ariana joined her.
When the laughter had ceased, Ariana heaved a sigh. Her mother had spoken to her very harshly the other day. The Marquees wanted her daughter to prepare herself for marriage, to the Duke of Wandsworth. The truth was that, Ariana was in love with someone else; someone that her mother would never let her marry, but she didn’t care. She’d rather live all her days in this place than be with a man she did not love.
“Elan told me something about the Marquees, is it true?” Lucy held her breath as she asked.
“What did Elan tell you?” Ariana straightened and folded her legs in a sitting position.
Lucy swallowed. She didn’t mean to gossip. She simply was concerned about her friend.
“That the Marquees is losing a lot of money…”
“And relevance in the society.” Ariana completed it for her.
Lucy felt bad for raising the topic. She didn’t want to ruin their time together.
“I am sorry Ariana, I didn’t mean to…”
Ariana waved her off with a hand and started, “my mother has made some mistakes in running her empire. She intends to use me to fix her mistakes.”
Lucy noticed the sadness in her voice, and the bleakness in her eyes. She had never seen Ariana this way. Something wasn’t right.
“She intends for me to marry the Duke of Wandsworth. He is a fine man no doubt. I have heard stories of his generosity and kindness. But I do not want him for a husband. I like it here in Islington. Wandsworth is too far from here.” Ariana couldn’t risk telling her friend of her love interest. Nobody would approve. It was her secret.
Lucy had heard about this Duke. But she had never met him in person. Unlike her brother, people spoke well of the man. He was one of the youngest rulers in the society.
“Maybe your mother wants the best for you.”
“Or maybe she is trying to secure her own desires through me.”

1 Like

Re: Moonlight Kiss By Angelsss(historical Romance) by Ibunkun1(m): 12:13am On May 05, 2021
cool, continua
Re: Moonlight Kiss By Angelsss(historical Romance) by niffyluv(f): 11:45am On May 05, 2021
Yippee
I love your style of writing
Re: Moonlight Kiss By Angelsss(historical Romance) by Angelsssss(f): 11:51pm On May 05, 2021
CHAPTER THREE
ALDRICH POV

The yellow sun had receded into a dull orange, soon night will fall. Soon, he will step out of the castle for the gaming house. He usually went there when it was dark; he couldn’t risk anyone seeing his face or knowing his true identity. There were other noble men who sneaked out of their homes for the gaming house, they knew each other. But they never spoke of their secret. Some men met their mistresses there, while some just came for the fun of gambling. He visited the gaming house to distract himself from the burden he carried.
Aldrich was relieved after having a meeting with some noble men in his Dukedom. The meeting had lasted for some hours. Now he was free to be alone. He revelled in silence. Again, he had instructed his guards that he wanted to be alone. He didn’t want to be disturbed.
Suddenly, the door to the throne room burst open and his mother barged into the hall. She had a stern look on her face; her jaw was clenched and her eyes weren’t smiling. Aldrich couldn’t turn the woman away. It had been long since he saw her angry. Something bothered her.
Behind her was his cousin Beau. And it made him wonder what their unannounced visit was about.
“Mother,” he drawled her name.
The Duchess ignored his greeting. She had promised Beau that she wouldn’t confront Aldrich, but she couldn’t hold it in anymore. She had to call the Duke to order. From what she learned, some noble men were eyeing his position and they secretly envied him.
“To what do I owe this family visit?” Aldrich pretended to be calm, but he died inwardly. He felt nervous and shaken. What could make his mother this upset?
“Good evening cousin,” Beau chipped in, but Aldrich ignored him. Aldrich saw the impish glint in Beauregard’s eyes. The little devil had done something. Aldrich sensed that his cousin had betrayed him, but he wasn’t quite sure. Nobody knew about his secret habit of gaming.
“I need a word with you, Aldrich.” The Duchess refused to return his charming smile. His handsome face and his brooding eyes reminded her of Ander, her late husband. She wouldn’t let her son’s handsomeness distract her. She had come for a purpose, and she hoped to achieve it.
Aldrich swallowed, “I am all yours mother.”
The woman inhaled deeply and clasped her palms together.
“For some time now I have ignored your misgivings. I understand how close you were to your father. But your grieving has taken too long. You have gone out of the noble path, you have strayed like sheep! I intend to bring your back to the fold.” She paused and advanced towards him.
Aldrich’s heart skipped. Her manner of speaking was proverbial. It seemed she suspected his ways, but he wouldn’t offer a retort, lest he exposed himself.
“I do not understand you, mother.” He held his breath as she reached where he stood.
“You do not need to understand, my sweet son. Beau and I have discussed…” she tilted her head to a side, so her eyes could meet with Beau’s.
“Interesting, can I ask what you discussed?” Aldrich fired his cousin a deadly glare, but he quickly averted the murderous stare.
Elena touched her son’s chin lightly with her left palm.
“You have grown Aldrich. You are very handsome. You have power, fame and wealth. Something is missing in your life. Perhaps, this is the only thing you need to distract you from your father’s absence. From what I have seen, my love is not enough. You will need another.”
Aldrich pushed her hand away from his face.
“Be plain with me.”
“Tell him Beauregard, share the news with him.” The Duchess moved away from her son. She had come to deliver a message. It was time to leave.
Elena cast a glance at her son one more time, “You don’t need to argue with me. I know what is best for you. You left me with no choice.”
She smiled and marched gracefully out of the hall, leaving the Duke with his cousin. For a moment, Aldrich remained lost. He said no word to his cousin, and Beau said no word to him. He had thought the Duchess would expose all what he said about Aldrich, but she was a wise woman. Aldrich would’ve had his head on a pike.
“What does she know?” Aldrich was no fool. He sensed the Duchess had an inkling of his double life.
Beau shrugged, “I cannot answer that question. But I know that she intends a wife for you. I quite agree with her though. You need a woman by your side, your own Duchess.”
Aldrich sighed with relieve. His mother didn’t know anything then. He was wrong to have suspected his cousin. It was every mother’s dream to present her son a worthy wife, but he wasn’t like other men of his age. He didn’t want a bride to be chosen for him. He would find her when he was ready.
“Of course I need a woman by my side, but I will not have my mother or you choose my bride.”
Beau threw his hands into the air, “I never said I will choose one for you. But the Duchess has a name, would you like to hear it?” Aldrich nodded and waited.
“Lady Ariana Beldon.”
“Isn’t that the daughter of the Marquees?” Aldrich’s brows knotted together. He had seen Ariana from afar, but they had never spoken a word to each other. She was an absolute beauty; a woman of class and nobility. Only that he wasn’t stirred by a woman’s looks. All his encounters with women of low virtue had been based on conversations. He wasn’t just any man. He was the Duke of Wandsworth.
“Yes, she is Lydia Beldon’s daughter. I agree with your mother. She will bring your honour.” Beau retorted.
“I agree with honour, but what of happiness? Why do you think men have kept mistresses and paid companions?
They never married the women they loved. They chose the ones that society imposed upon them. I will not be entangled in a marriage of convenience.” The Duke had spoken, and he’d meant every word.
In that moment, Beau was now sure that his cousin was undeserving of the title of Duke. First, he insulted that noble position by mingling with irresponsible men at the gaming house. Now, he looked down on the age long matchmaking rites of the society.
“People like you don’t marry for love. Love is just a word. It is an ideal type. It doesn’t exist. You need a woman like Ariana by your side. Or would you rather take a commoner or a lesser woman?”
Aldrich scowled, obviously his cousin didn’t agree with him, but he wasn’t seeking anyone’s approval.
“I shall marry who suits my heart.”
“Enough about marriage! I have somewhere important to go.”
Aldrich waved his cousin aside and rushed out of the hall. It was growing dark, and there was no better time to step out of the castle, but now. He had an important game to play tonight. He would play with an old friend, Elan Wesley; the Baron of Ox-Dale. Whoever lost the game tonight, would relinquish half of his inheritance to the winner.
Not that Aldrich was in need of money; he enjoyed gaming. It distracted him from the internal turmoil of his emotions.
He employed one of his guards who rode him to the gaming house. William had been waiting outside in the carriage. The Duke quickly hopped in and bellowed.
“Morglay Street!”

Morglay’s gaming house was crowded with people. Aldrich stepped out of the carriage with a cloak that shielded his face. No one could recognize him here, except some noble men who also came to play.
“You may leave now, come back in an hour.” He whispered in a harsh voice to the carriage driver.
Aldrich strolled into the gaming house. His eyes ran over the thick crowd. The scent of ale and tobacco wafted in the air. His head spun from too much noise and heat. But he didn’t mind. The Baron of Wesley had issued him a challenge, and he had come to accept it.
“Over here!” A short man in a hat called out to him. That was Elan, and he had showed up for the game. The round table where he sat was graced by other men whose faces were cloaked by a hood or hats. They had come to bear witness to the challenge.
Aldrich made his way through the crowd until he reached the table.
“Good evening gentle men.” He acknowledged the others by the table.
“Welcome,” they chorused.
“You are late. I thought you were a coward. I almost issued Sir Frederick a challenge,” Elan’s chubby face beamed with smiles and the other men laughed at his joke.
“You know how skilled I am with the cards. I would have beaten you and taken what is left of your inheritance.” Sir Frederick replied, and the other men sneered.
Aldrich remained quiet. He knew that Elan was broke. Maybe this was Elan’s challenge was a way of raising money for himself. Whatever it was, Aldrich made up his mind, not to be used.
“What would you like to drink?” Elan elbowed him.
“I am fine. Let us get this over with.” Aldrich mumbled. He was smarter than what Elan thought. The first rule of playing a game was never taking any drink before it, not even water; as your opponent could have your drink spiked with a sedative. And you will wake up the next day, realizing that all your fortune is gone.
“You’re in a great hurry, are you afraid I will take half your inheritance?” Elan chuckled.
“I fear nothing. I fear no one.” Aldrich drummed his hands against the table. He was growing impatient and nervous.
“I have something to tell you. You should come. Defeating you here, doesn’t mean we can’t still be friends…”
Elan dipped a hand into his pocket and pulled out a brown paper. He had shared one to the other men at the table. He had reserved this one for the Duke of Wandsworth, whose presence he would love to have at the show.
“What is this?” Aldrich muttered under his breath.
“You have forgotten that Elan has other talents than gambling,” Lord Bolton said. This amused the other men, even Aldrich himself couldn’t resist laughing at the joke.
“Ignore them, they are just jealous that nature chose to bestow upon me many talents.” Elan’s shoulder’s fell. He didn’t take the teasing of the men to heart. He was a free spirited man; an attitude that his younger sister despised.
Aldrich’s eyes fed on the paper, and he soon realized that Elan was having a poetry show.
“I will not miss this for anything.” Aldrich promised to attend.
“You shouldn’t. The finest ladies from all parts of our lovely country will show. You should get yourself a bride!” Elan sneered.
“You sound like my mother, the Duchess.”
“She is right; you need your own Duchess.”
Soon, the waiter arrived with a tray filled with mugs. Aldrich declined the ale. He had come solely for the game, which would start soon.
The cards were laid out on the table, and the men picked them. Without hesitation or reluctance, they picked a card each and began to play. The more Aldrich presented his cards, the more he lost. The other men kept cheering for Elan. They clamped their thick fists on the table and yelled in drunkenness.
Elan could see his fortune changing for the good. He was certain that he would win the game.
However, in a sudden twist, Aldrich played his last cards. They weren’t in favour of Elan’s. Aldrich had outsmarted the Baron.
“You’ll give me half of your inheritance.” Aldrich wore a smug on his face, he was satisfied with today’s outcome.

Check out my Facebook page for more stories. Don't forget to like and follow.

@spicenaija.com

1 Like

Re: Moonlight Kiss By Angelsss(historical Romance) by Ibunkun1(m): 8:21pm On May 06, 2021
Hmm, Beau could've tailed Aldrich o
Re: Moonlight Kiss By Angelsss(historical Romance) by Ibunkun1(m): 8:22am On May 12, 2021
Update? sad
Re: Moonlight Kiss By Angelsss(historical Romance) by Angelsssss(f): 12:36pm On May 12, 2021
“What does she know?” Aldrich was no fool. He sensed the Duchess had an inkling of his double life.
Beau shrugged, “I cannot answer that question. But I know that she intends a wife for you. I quite agree with her though. You need a woman by your side, your own Duchess.”
Aldrich sighed with relieve. His mother didn’t know anything then. He was wrong to have suspected his cousin. It was every mother’s dream to present her son a worthy wife, but he wasn’t like other men of his age. He didn’t want a bride to be chosen for him. He would find her when he was ready.
“Of course I need a woman by my side, but I will not have my mother or you choose my bride.”
Beau threw his hands into the air, “I never said I will choose one for you. But the Duchess has a name, would you like to hear it?” Aldrich nodded and waited.
“Lady Ariana Beldon.”
“Isn’t that the daughter of the Marquees?” Aldrich’s brows knotted together. He had seen Ariana from afar, but they had never spoken a word to each other. She was an absolute beauty; a woman of class and nobility. Only that he wasn’t stirred by a woman’s looks. All his encounters with women of low virtue had been based on conversations. He wasn’t just any man. He was the Duke of Wandsworth.
“Yes, she is Lydia Beldon’s daughter. I agree with your mother. She will bring your honour.” Beau retorted.
“I agree with honour, but what of happiness? Why do you think men have kept mistresses and paid companions?
They never married the women they loved. They chose the ones that society imposed upon them. I will not be entangled in a marriage of convenience.” The Duke had spoken, and he’d meant every word.
In that moment, Beau was now sure that his cousin was undeserving of the title of Duke. First, he insulted that noble position by mingling with irresponsible men at the gaming house. Now, he looked down on the age long matchmaking rites of the society.
“People like you don’t marry for love. Love is just a word. It is an ideal type. It doesn’t exist. You need a woman like Ariana by your side. Or would you rather take a commoner or a lesser woman?”
Aldrich scowled, obviously his cousin didn’t agree with him, but he wasn’t seeking anyone’s approval.
“I shall marry who suits my heart.”
“Enough about marriage! I have somewhere important to go.”
Aldrich waved his cousin aside and rushed out of the hall. It was growing dark, and there was no better time to step out of the castle, but now. He had an important game to play tonight. He would play with an old friend, Elan Wesley; the Baron of Ox-Dale. Whoever lost the game tonight, would relinquish half of his inheritance to the winner.
Not that Aldrich was in need of money; he enjoyed gaming. It distracted him from the internal turmoil of his emotions.
He employed one of his guards who rode him to the gaming house. William had been waiting outside in the carriage. The Duke quickly hopped in and bellowed.
“Morglay Street!”

Morglay’s gaming house was crowded with people. Aldrich stepped out of the carriage with a cloak that shielded his face. No one could recognize him here, except some noble men who also came to play.
“You may leave now, come back in an hour.” He whispered in a harsh voice to the carriage driver.
Aldrich strolled into the gaming house. His eyes ran over the thick crowd. The scent of ale and tobacco wafted in the air. His head spun from too much noise and heat. But he didn’t mind. The Baron of Wesley had issued him a challenge, and he had come to accept it.
“Over here!” A short man in a hat called out to him. That was Elan, and he had showed up for the game. The round table where he sat was graced by other men whose faces were cloaked by a hood or hats. They had come to bear witness to the challenge.
Aldrich made his way through the crowd until he reached the table.
“Good evening gentle men.” He acknowledged the others by the table.
“Welcome,” they chorused.
“You are late. I thought you were a coward. I almost issued Sir Frederick a challenge,” Elan’s chubby face beamed with smiles and the other men laughed at his joke.
“You know how skilled I am with the cards. I would have beaten you and taken what is left of your inheritance.” Sir Frederick replied, and the other men sneered.
Aldrich remained quiet. He knew that Elan was broke. Maybe this was Elan’s challenge was a way of raising money for himself. Whatever it was, Aldrich made up his mind, not to be used.
“What would you like to drink?” Elan elbowed him.
“I am fine. Let us get this over with.” Aldrich mumbled. He was smarter than what Elan thought. The first rule of playing a game was never taking any drink before it, not even water; as your opponent could have your drink spiked with a sedative. And you will wake up the next day, realizing that all your fortune is gone.
“You’re in a great hurry, are you afraid I will take half your inheritance?” Elan chuckled.
“I fear nothing. I fear no one.” Aldrich drummed his hands against the table. He was growing impatient and nervous.
“I have something to tell you. You should come. Defeating you here, doesn’t mean we can’t still be friends…”
Elan dipped a hand into his pocket and pulled out a brown paper. He had shared one to the other men at the table. He had reserved this one for the Duke of Wandsworth, whose presence he would love to have at the show.
“What is this?” Aldrich muttered under his breath.
“You have forgotten that Elan has other talents than gambling,” Lord Bolton said. This amused the other men, even Aldrich himself couldn’t resist laughing at the joke.
“Ignore them, they are just jealous that nature chose to bestow upon me many talents.” Elan’s shoulder’s fell. He didn’t take the teasing of the men to heart. He was a free spirited man; an attitude that his younger sister despised.
Aldrich’s eyes fed on the paper, and he soon realized that Elan was having a poetry show.
“I will not miss this for anything.” Aldrich promised to attend.
“You shouldn’t. The finest ladies from all parts of our lovely country will show. You should get yourself a bride!” Elan sneered.
“You sound like my mother, the Duchess.”
“She is right; you need your own Duchess.”
Soon, the waiter arrived with a tray filled with mugs. Aldrich declined the ale. He had come solely for the game, which would start soon.
The cards were laid out on the table, and the men picked them. Without hesitation or reluctance, they picked a card each and began to play. The more Aldrich presented his cards, the more he lost. The other men kept cheering for Elan. They clamped their thick fists on the table and yelled in drunkenness.
Elan could see his fortune changing for the good. He was certain that he would win the game.
However, in a sudden twist, Aldrich played his last cards. They weren’t in favour of Elan’s. Aldrich had outsmarted the Baron.
“You’ll give me half of your inheritance.” Aldrich wore a smug on his face, he was satisfied with today’s outcome.

CHAPTER FOUR
LUCY POV

She’d returned to an empty home. Elan was nowhere to be found, and the night had travelled far. Lucy tucked herself in her bed and got ready for sleep. Her day had been fruitful; she had met with her friend, and they had a wonderful time. Lucy wasn’t happy that the Beldons were having financial troubles, but she didn’t see things Ariana’s way. Maybe it wasn’t right for the Marquees to suggest a man for her; but getting married to the most powerful Duke wasn’t a bad idea at all. Lucy hoped that things got better for her friend. In two days time, her brother’s poetry show would hold at the heart of London. They would meet up at Ox-Dale, this time around. They will go for the show from her house.
Lucy closed her eyes, and was about drifting to sleep, when she heard a loud rap on her door. There was only one servant in the castle; the rest had left after months of not being paid by the Baron. The castle was dusty and scanty. It was a shadow of its old self. It existed in its old glory. Sadly, her brother saw nothing wrong in that.
“What do you want Elizabeth?” Lucy frowned.
There wasn’t any response. The tapping only grew louder.
Angry, that her sleep had been interrupted, Lucy rolled out of the bed and moved towards the door. She pulled the knob back and was shocked. It wasn’t Elizabeth that had been knocking on her door. It was Elan. And he looked terribly dishevelled. His hair was scattered, and his face was white. He looked very pale, and it made her wonder if he had seen a ghost.
“Elan?” Lucy swallowed the ball of anxiety that clogged her throat. Definitely, he wasn’t drunk. His eyes carried despair and confusion. Something had gone wrong. He needed to confide her in her.
“Is everything alright?” Lucy’s voice quavered in uncertainty.
“Not quite,” he forced a smile, but Lucy could see through it. Whatever had happened to Elan was grave. She remembered the night he’d come into the castle in high spirits. He was unusually happy and talkative; little did she know that he had gambled all the horses they had away. That night, his debtors collected twenty horses from the house.
Lucy hated to think that Elan had lost something to his gambling ways.
“I pray that you disappoint me brother for my thoughts have gone far.” Lucy held her breath and waited for his response.
Elan sighed. He had underestimated the Duke. Aldrich was a smart gamer; he was ruthless and cruel as a serpent which lay in the dark for its prey. He had lost half of his inheritance to the Duke and it was due for a fortnight. The problem was that, he had no inheritance left. If he failed to redeem his debt, he would be a subject of gossip among all the noble men that had witness the challenge. Elan’s pride wouldn’t let him cower. He had to find a way to settle the Duke. He had no inheritance left; the Barony only survived by the mercy of his name and his sister’s fortune. He couldn’t give that away. He had hurt Lucy enough.
“I am in trouble sister,” the words spiralled softly out of his lips.
“Trouble?” She crossed her arms against her chest.
“Tonight I had a challenge at Morglay Street.” He stuttered.
Lucy knew that nothing good came out of that street. It was the den of women of low virtue; there were taverns sprawled across the street and there was a famous gaming house. It wasn’t a place befitting of a Baron or anyone of nobility.
“What on earth were you doing down there?”
“I was issued a challenge by someone. I couldn’t refuse it.” The Baron knew that his sister would be upset with what he wanted to ask; but he had no one to turn to.
Before he could utter any more word, Lucy figured out that her brother had gamed and lost.
“Do you ever learn Elan? You will drive us to the gutters!”
“Only half of your inheritance I seek. I shall repay every coin. I have to redeem my name, or I shall live in shame forever.”
Lucy’s golden eyes welled up with unshed tears. Her brother never ceased to disappoint her. Their mother had raised them to be responsible, pious and content with what they have. Elan had digressed, and she feared he may never change.
“You are a great disappointment brother.” Lucy shut the door to his face and returned to bed.
For the first time, Elan knew that he’d hurt his sister. Lucy was a dove. She was harmless. She was loved by everyone, yet he kept hurting her.
“I will never gamble with our fortune after this.” He pushed the door open and stepped into the room. Lucy was crying now. She wept silently as she glared at Elan’s face.
“Who is this man that you are indebted to? Maybe I could talk to him.”
Elan could never share this secret with her. It would be a great betrayal and an act of cowardice if he gave his sister the Duke’s name.
“You do not need to know.”
“Then you are not sorry for what you have done, brother. You must leave now. I have to rest my head. And one more thing, I will not come for your show.”
Elan strolled out like a guilty dog. He had to find a way to settle the Duke without infuriating his sister. Even if it meant selling the house which they lived in, he was prepared to do that.
He had learned his lesson; he would never underestimate anyone. He hoped that his sister would change her mind about not attending his show. Elan knew he wouldn’t sleep well tonight; he would be plagued by nightmares of his lost inheritance.

Two days had passed, and the day for Elan’s show had come. Elan had left the castle quite early, to the place where the show would hold. It was organised like a dinner party. While people enjoyed good food and wine, they would watch the plays that would come up after and listen to the Baron’s poems, which would be the highlight of the night.
“There you go, you look lovely Milady.” Elizabeth grinned as she stared at Lucy’s reflection in the lengthy mirror. Lucy had taken some of the clothes that Ariana had gotten for her. She wore a pink dress with a silver helm and a silver hat for the night. She grabbed her purse and stared at her reflection one last time, before strolling out of the room.
“Thank you Elizabeth.”
Lucy felt confident in her dress; she had a golden pearly necklace over her neck. It was a family heirloom; her mother had saved it for her twenty first birthday. Sadly, the woman hadn’t been alive to witness that glorious day. Lucy’s fingers curled on the gleaming stones as she walked towards the door. This was the last connection she had with her mother; she hoped that Elan’s reckless ways wouldn’t lead her to sell it off.
“I could never do that.” She muttered under her breath.
“Did you call me?” The servant heard the lady whisper.
“No. We’ll be gone for a while. Take care.”
As Lucy stepped on the porch, she spotted Arianna’s golden carriage moving towards her direction. She smiled and inhaled sharply. It was time for the girls to go out. Lucy felt a little bit nervous. This was the first public outing that she would have. She had carefully avoided going out with her brother many times; it wasn’t because of the embarrassing life that he chose to lead. Elan was a very handsome Baron, and women enjoyed flirting with him. One time, she felt that her presence hindered a particular woman. She had travelled all the way from Scotland where she was an heiress. The woman had eyes on her brother, but Lucy’s presence had soiled her prospects. She had learned her lesson.

“Lucy! Come on in!” Ariana beckoned to her.
Lucy ran into the snow rain and stepped into the carriage. The friends exchanged hugs and greetings and focused on the road ahead of them.
“You look stunning in that dress. You shall beguile many men at the party.” Ariana teased. She loved the way the dress clung to Lucy’s fragile frame like second skin. It highlighted her shapely figure; and the swell of her bosoms. Lucy’s raven hair cascaded to the middle of her back. The little hat sat upon the mass of black hair like a crown. Lucy was a princess. She would be the belle of the ball.
“Thank you. You don’t look bad yourself.” Lucy smiled and ran her eyes over her friend’s dress.
“Of course I don’t. Charlotte and Margerette would have a lot to talk about later tonight,” Ariana winked.
Ariana was pleased to escape from the castlette for a while. The Marquees had returned and she wouldn’t let her daughter rest. Lydia Beldon was bent on marrying her daughter off to the Duke of Wandsworth. She was too blind to notice that Ariana wasn’t interested.
“Mother wants me to pay Aldrich a visit,” Ariana whispered.
“Aldrich?” Lucy didn’t know who that was.
“Aldrich Clairbone is the Duke of Wandsworth. You should go out more often.” Ariana scoffed and poked Lucy’s belly with a finger. And this made Lucy laugh. She didn’t know the Duke by his name, but by his title.
“That is not a bad thing Ariana. Your mother wants the best for you. She has groomed you especially for a man like the Duke. You do not want to miss this opportunity. I have heard stories about this Duke. He is a good man. You will learn to love him. Being with a man like Aldrich is better than having a brother like Elan.”
When she said this, Ariana laughed. It was common knowledge that the baron was failing. It was his good looks and his poetry that earned him respect, especially among the women folk.
“Oh come off it, the Baron isn’t so bad. A lot of women admire him! He is handsome.” Ariana waved her off, but Lucy wouldn’t be silenced.
“Those women are carried away by his looks, but their infatuation wouldn’t last when Elan gambles away their fortunes.” Lucy wished Ariana would be more appreciative of what she had. Life with her brother was tougher than most people imagined.
Ariana fell silent. Lucy couldn’t understand why she was against her mother’s plans, and she wasn’t interested in explaining. She noticed that her friend wasn’t very bright. Ariana guessed something had transpired between her and the Baron. It wasn’t easy to be a highborn. It came with great expectations. Most times, one sacrificed his or her happiness to meet these expectations. But she wasn’t prepared to do that. She didn’t want a loveless marriage. She wanted to be happy with the man she would end up with and that man wasn’t the Duke of Wandsworth.
Shortly, they arrived at the Great Hall of Essex, where the dinner party would hold. There was a stout man by the entrance of the enormous hall. He had a bushy moustache and a black hat on. His duty was to announce all the guests that had arrived.
“Keep your head tall and your shoulders high. Everyone is going to be amazed.” Ariana advised Lucy as they strolled majestically into the hall.
Lucy giggled, “Why would anyone be amazed?”
Ariana patted her shoulder, “You are the Baron’s only sister. And you are quintessential tonight.”
The Duke of Wandsworth arrived shortly after the two friends stepped in. He had come to the dinner party with his cousin, Beauregard.
Re: Moonlight Kiss By Angelsss(historical Romance) by Angelsssss(f): 2:43am On May 25, 2021
CHAPTER FIVE
ALDRICH POV
Aldrich still relished in his win from the night before. Not that he was in need of Elan’s inheritance, because he knew that the Baron had no money to spare; he was glad that he had proved himself as an expert gamer.
“What are you smiling about?” Beauregard stole a glance at his cousin’s face.
“You should learn to mind your own business.” Aldrich chuckled. He could never let anyone know of his visits to the gaming house. Unknown to him, his cousin had bribed the carriage man and he knew exactly what took place at Morglay’s Street at each visit of the Duke.
The men stepped out of the carriage and were announced by the butler for the night. There was a different reaction when the Duke of Wandsworth was announced. All the young ladies turned their attention on him; they swooned and fawned. He was an attractive and generous man. He couldn’t blame them for giving him so much attention.
Beauregard felt out of place. He lurked in his cousin’s shadow, and this was what he hated most. Why did everyone stare at the Duke and not him? What was so special about Aldrich that all the woman wanted his attention?
It wasn’t long before the other noble men took notice of the Duke, and Aldrich had to move away from his cousin.
“Enjoy your time Beau, I am sure you can find a pretty woman for yourself as you wished me.” Aldrich winked, and joined some young noblemen like himself, at the corner of the hall. He was yet to see the host of the dinner party. He knew Elan was ashamed of his loss. He hadn’t dreamt that Aldrich would beat him. Well, the Baron’s secret of losing was safe. It wasn’t as if what they did was legitimate for men of their standing.
Aldrich lost himself in the crowd and began to socialize with the men he’d met. Wine flowed like a fountain; unstopping. There were many large tables, and food was served on them. It was a banquet!
“I never knew Elan Wesley had it in him.” One of the Noble men spoke. He was an Earl whose father had left behind a huge fortune. His own weakness was philandering.
“The Baron could be many things, but he knows how to organize a fine party.” Another chipped in.
“And compose profound verses,” Aldrich added. The men laughed and touched the tip of their glasses together.
Just in time, the Baron showed up. The first group he noticed was that of the Duke and the young earls. The Duke and the others were surprised to see him.
“We thought you had developed stage fever.” Aldrich teased.
“You wish,” Elan grinned and snapped his fingers. A server rushed towards the group with a tray. Elan swiftly fetched a glass of wine and joined them.
Aldrich was asked to make a toast. It came as a surprise to him.
“To future banquets and profound verses!”
“To banquets and verses!” The men chorused.
When all food and wine was served and all the guests had eaten to their fill, the show began. It was opened by a short play, featuring the finest dancers and actors from the heart of the country. It was a tale of betrayal, but told in a comedic style; which got everyone amused.
Aldrich sat on a table alone, but he was later joined by a lady.
“May I join you sir?” She asked in a polite voice.
From the way she looked at him, she had not seen him before. And he hadn’t seen her either. But there was a glint of familiarity in her golden eyes. He felt like he had known her all his life.
“You are free Milady.” Aldrich was immediately distracted by her beauty. Her orbs were like moon stones; sparkling and bright. She had a sharp and straight nose; her lips were full and plump. He wondered what kissing her would feel like. To his surprise, Aldrich realized that he had not been with a woman for two years now. His father’s death had changed him in many ways.
He adored the jewel on her neck. It befitted nobility, not that he cared of her roots. She carried herself with grace and elegance. Aldrich had interest in her; but this was neither the place nor time. He knew he would never be the same, after witnessing such an angelic sight. His heart raced. Blood rippled in his veins. His ears thumped. The belle was a grand distraction.
The play was soon over, and the second act was a singer. Her powerful voice penetrated all the crevices of the grand hall. Her song was of love; of hatred; of weakness; of strength; of wealth; of riches; of death. It had a lulling effect on her listeners; to some it made them very sad, for she sang of the truth and misery in the life of man. Her words spoke of vanity and the meaningless of life.
After the second act, came the recitations of epic poems and dirges. At this point, Aldrich had lost interest in the show. He felt bored. His mind was occupied with thoughts of the lady sitting across his table. He knew the rules and etiquettes of the society; he couldn’t engage her in a proper conversation here. They will need a chaperone. But there wasn’t any around here.
He noticed that the flame in her eyes had gone extinct. Her eyes were lost and distant.
“You do not enjoy the recitations?” Aldrich’s fingers drummed against the table.
“I do,” she swallowed.
She lied. He noticed the redness of her cheeks.
“You lie. You do not enjoy the recitations. You are not alone.”
Her eyes caught fire again, “why don’t you enjoy them?”
“Tell me your name and I will answer.”
The lady smiled and peeled her gaze away from him. She fixed it on the stage and pretended to enjoy what was going on. But he knew better. Soon, she would be weary of her pretence.
After what felt like eternity, she spoke in a hushed tone.
“Lucy Wesley of Ox-Dale; what is your own name?” She waited for a response.
It was his turn, but Aldrich would use this opportunity to make his imagination come alive.
“Meet me outside by the tall tree to the east of the hall. I shall tell you my name then.”
At once, he rose to his feet and strolled out of the hall. It didn’t take long, before the lady joined him. No one in the hall suspected a thing; except the haunting eyes of the Duke’s cousin, that had been watching at the table, all night long.

The light in the tree area was dim, but the moonlight still shed her brightness upon the tree. Aldrich was the first to reach. He never knew that Lucy was trailing behind, until he heard her sharp breathing. When he turned around, he noticed that she was about to trip on a piece of rock.
In one swift move, he caught her in his arms. In that moment, all was lost and time froze. Eyes mated with eyes; hearts danced to the rhythm of expectation and anxiety. Aldrich was lost in her eyes. She had enchanted him. He would never be the same.
“I am sorry,” he whispered. His breath was hot against her face.
She smiled and was about to say something, when his mouth brushed against her lips. His hot mouth conquered her soft lips. At first, she resisted as she was in shock, but the sweetness of his tongue, dancing inside the walls of her mouth, broke every resistance. In that moment, Lucy surrendered herself to his desire and to the passion that pumped in her veins.
When Aldrich realized what he had one, he broke the kiss and pulled away from her. It wasn’t in his behaviour to kiss a lady without her consent. He wasn’t that ill-mannered. He had been swept by the aura that she exuded. But he was himself now. He would never repeat this mistake.
“I am sorry Milady, I shouldn’t have kissed you without your permission.” He hoped he hadn’t ruined his chance of getting to know her more. He hoped he hadn’t gotten her upset and painted a bad image of himself.
He watched her face closely, for any sign of discomfort. When she smiled, he felt relieved.
“You do not need to apologize.” She smiled and shrugged.
“What is your name?” Lady Lucy asked.
Aldrich was surprised that she didn’t know he was the Duke. Was she pulling his legs or was she serious?
“The butler made that clear when I entered the hall.”
The lady glared at him confusedly, “the hall was very noisy. Besides, I escorted my friend to powder her nose. You lured me outside here. Tell me your name, or I get back to the hall.” She threatened.
Aldrich was surprised at her outburst. No lady had ever spoken to him this way. He liked her instantly. All his life, he had dreamt of being with a woman who had her own mind. Not some lady that was groomed to meet with his desires. He had a feeling that even if she knew he was the Duke of Wandsworth, that she wouldn’t be very much impressed.
“You are free to return to the hall. We both know that you’ll be bored to death.”
She laughed, “Is that what you think?” She narrowed her eyes on him.
“Yes,” Aldrich folded his strong arms against his chest and watched her expression closely.
“My brother would mount the stage soon. His poetry isn’t boring. I shall not miss it on your account.”
“Who is your brother?” He asked. Could she be related to Elan in any way? That would explain the resemblance. He now understood why he felt he had seen the lady somewhere before now.
Lucy laughed, “What is your name?”
Aldrich realized they weren’t going anywhere with the questions, so he decided to introduce himself.
“Aldrich Clairborne.”
Instantly, the name rang a bell and Lucy suddenly realized that she had kissed the Duke of Wandsworth! He was the man that her friend was supposed to be engaged to. She felt sick. She was morbid with fear. How could she ever explain to Ariana that the kiss was a mistake?
“Are you alright?” Aldrich noticed that her face had grown pale.
“Yes, yes. I think we should return to the hall.”
This surprised Aldrich. She had been very comfortable with him and now this?
“What is wrong Lucy?” He called her by name.
“Nothing, I think it is inappropriate for us to stay outside, while a show is going on.” She pushed a smile that hurt her beautiful facial features.
He didn’t want to argue with her. He respected people and their wishes; his father had trained him to be that way. But deep down, Aldrich felt she was running away from something. Was it the kiss? Was she someone’s betrothed?
His heart sank as he imagined Lucy being with another man. Although he had just met her, he had come to like her. And he was interested in knowing her better.
“Did I do or say something wrong?” He wouldn’t let her go that easily.
“No,” Lucy shook her head.
“Alright, where do you live?” He was desperate.
“You don’t need to know that.”
Those were her last words, before she moved away from him and rushed back to the Great Hall; leaving him alone and empty again.
“Lucy Wesley of Ox-Dale,” his lips moved in whisper of her name. A gentle breeze rustled his hair. The Duke had found the woman that suited his heart. He would pursue her. He will not be deterred. Maybe his mother had been right all along. Maybe he was ripe for his own Duchess.
Aldrich couldn’t wait to tell his cousin all about the Lady he had met.

2 Likes

Re: Moonlight Kiss By Angelsss(historical Romance) by Angelsssss(f): 2:44am On May 25, 2021
Hi guys please like and follow my FB page.
@spice Naija
Re: Moonlight Kiss By Angelsss(historical Romance) by Angelsssss(f): 12:14am On Jun 01, 2021
Back in the Great Hall, Lucy blushed as she walked back in. Maybe it was the lovely dress she wore, or maybe people knew she had just been kissed by the Duke of Wandsworth. She felt ashamed that she had let him kiss her, and more ashamed that she had enjoyed it.
No man had ever kissed her before. The Duke was her first! What was she even thinking? Lucy suddenly realized that she had betrayed her friend by letting Aldrich kiss her like that.
“Oh no, what would Ariana think of me?” Her heart began to race. All these years, Ariana had helped her out when she had no one. When the castle had fallen, and all the servants had abandoned her and her brother, Ariana had taken her in and comforted her.
Though the kiss had been passionate and pleasant, it launched upon her a great burden; one that she wasn’t prepared to carry. Like the pure soul that she was, Lucy Wesley decided that she would find her friend in the Great Hall and confess her misdeed immediately. She didn’t keep secrets from Ariana. She cherished their friendship.
Her golden eyes darted across the thickly populated hall. People were moving towards the entrance, and it seemed the show had come to an end. She had missed her brother’s poem! Lucy pulled in a deep breath and continued to move through the crowd.
It didn’t take long before she sighted Ariana in a sea of males. They were all fascinated by her beauty and her sense of humour. Yes, Ariana had that about her. She was like a magnet that attracted all the pins in a basket. Even the Duke would equally fall for her. Lucy knew she couldn’t match her best friend’s grace or charm; she wasn’t jealous. What she had for Ariana was pure adoration.
Interrupting Ariana from the meeting she had would be rude, so she decided to chill somewhere. She noticed a table where leftover wine was being served again. Lucy didn’t waste time. Maybe this wine would wash her guilt away.
“Um, can I have a glass of brandy?” Lucy stuttered as she reached the table. She knew it was unladylike to drink in public, but she didn’t care. She didn’t have any suitor watching her. She just wanted to feel relaxed and prepare herself for the confession.
The waiter was about serving her when she felt a soft tap on her shoulder. Lucy quickly turned. She found a blue eyed man with auburn hair, smiling at her. Maybe she was imagining things, but he resembled the Duke somehow. She hadn’t seen this man before.
“Good evening…” She said unsmiling.
“Lady Lucy of Ox-Dale, you shouldn’t be drinking.” He shrugged.
Who was this man and how did he know her name?
“Um, I haven’t met you before,” she started in a nervous voice.
“Of course, forgive my manners. My name is Beauregard Clairborne, cousin to the Duke of Wandsworth.” The man took off his hat and bowed.
Her heart skipped at the mention of the Duke’s name. She hadn’t been imagining after all. The stranger was a relative of Aldrich.
“How nice to meet you,” she flashed a smile.
“Nicer to stand in your presence milady.” Without her permission, he grabbed her hand and dropped a kiss upon it. This made Lucy quite uncomfortable. She felt Beau was flirting with her.
She quickly pulled her hand away after he dropped his lips and fetched the glass from the waiter. His blue eyes were enchanting no doubt, but they held something devious and mischievous; something that disturbed her. Unlike the Duke, Beau wouldn’t keep a lady’s attention for too long.
“You are the Baron’s sister.” Beau said.
“Yes I am,” Lucy answered, wondering where he was headed.
“Your brother is a skilled poet I must say. He is good with words,” he added.
Lucy only smiled; she didn’t have anything to add to the conversation. She just wished that Beau would leave her alone to drown in her misery.
“Let me leave you to yourself. I hope our paths cross again. I will love to spend some time with you.”
Lucy was certain Beau had interest in her. But she could never go close to him or the Duke again.
“I am engaged Sir. And my fiancé is a very jealous man.” Lucy pulled a quick one on him. She had to put him to his place; else he would complicate her life. Once she was done with her confession to Ariana, she would find a suitable enterprise for herself. She had to invest in her inheritance, because as things stood, her brother had wasted all of his’. And if the castle was to continue, she needed enough money to run it.
Beau had noticed the way his cousin had stared at Lucy the whole night. Lucy and Aldrich were on the same table. Only a fool wouldn’t notice the powerful attraction that they shared. It wasn’t long before Aldrich left to take some air, soon after she had joined him.
When the lady had returned, he’d noticed the reddishness on her cheeks; something had happened between those two. Had they kissed? Had they made love? Beau didn’t know for sure. But one thing was certain, if Aldrich found a wife, it would validate his position as Duke of Wandsworth. But if he didn’t find a wife in six months, there was a chance to overthrow him.
Beau also knew about Aldrich’s bet with the baron, whose inheritance he had won. It was common knowledge that the Baron had no inheritance; Beau thought he could use this to his advantage.
For now, he had a piece of information that he would work with. He knew Lucy didn’t like him. She didn’t appreciate his presence either. He bugged her. But he was fine with that. Lucy wasn’t engaged to any man, she only lied to put him off, and he had no problem with that. She did a good thing by lying. He would come between her and Aldrich.
“That is fine by my milady. The man is a very lucky one.” Beau smiled and bowed.
“Yes he is.” Lucy swallowed the liquor from the glass. Beau waved at her, before leaving. Just before he stepped outside the hall, he slipped a note into the butler’s hand.
“Give this note to the Baron of Ox-Dale, Elan Wesley.”
Accompanying the note were some gold coins which made the butler more than eager to accept this errand.
“I will do as you have said.”

One after the other, the men that sought her attention deserted her and she was left alone. Ariana quickly searched the hall for her friend. She found Lucy easily; her dress glowed like a sea of chandeliers. Ariana also noticed the Duke was at a corner discussing with Lucy’s elder brother. It made her wonder what those two had in common. Aldrich was a successful Duke, and Elan was a failed Baron.
Soon, she reached the table stand.
“You never drink, are you alright?” From where she stood, she could smell the scent of alcohol.
Lucy’s heart jolted. She had been too deeply immersed in her thoughts to notice the presence of her friend. The glass almost fell from her hands, but she was able to hold it back. The drink spilled on her pretty dress.
“Did I scare you?” Ariana watched her friend carefully. She had never seen Lucy in this kind of mood before; something was wrong. Her friend wasn’t herself.
Lucy emptied the last contents of the glass and pressed her lips together. This was her moment of confession. It was now or never. Tears stung her lashes, and her lips began to quaver.
“You have been like a sister to me. I didn’t mean to betray you. I swear to you Ariana, I never knew he was the one. Please forgive me,” Lucy begged.
Ariana scoffed, she was lost.
“What are you talking about?”
“Can I have another glass?” Lucy lost the courage to speak, so she quickly called to the waiter to serve her.
“Hell you are not. Do not disgrace yourself, you are a lady.” Ariana slapped her hands and fired the butler an angry stare.
“What is it Lucy? Talk to me.”
A tear scurried down her left cheek. Lucy found it difficult to stare into Ariana’s eyes, even while confessing.
“I kissed Aldrich Claiborne, the Duke of Wandsworth!” Lucy blurted out. Ariana released her hand immediately and stepped back.
At the far end of the hall, Aldrich engaged Elan in a conversation. Aldrich never knew the baron had such a lovely sister, and he was very much interested in her. Though he was meeting her for the first time, he liked her. Lucy was very different from other high born ladies he had met. She was humble, and she smiled often. She wasn’t a snub either.
“How did you see my win Elan? I know you thought I would lose. You have always had a eye for my wealth since you lost yours through gambling. But I failed your test.”
The Baron was quiet. He knew that Aldrich was right. He’d thought Aldrich would fail, so he would give him part of his riches. But the plan had backfired.
“You just got lucky Aldrich, no need to brag.” Elan replied in a gruff tone.
The Duke simply laughed, he knew that his win had hurt Elan.
“I shall ask for my inheritance soon. If you fail to redeem your vow to me, the whole of London shall hear about your failure.” The Duke threatened, and Elan paled. He had no inheritance to give to the Duke, and he couldn’t make use of his sister’s. Lucy would never forgive him.
This was the smartest angle he could attempt, “you cannot risk exposing us like that. We are men of class and we shouldn’t be seen at gaming houses. Would you rather lose your honour?”
Aldrich knew Elan was trying to escape; but he wouldn’t give the Baron that chance, especially now that he was attracted to his sister.
“I am ready to risk anything Elan. In a fortnight, I shall ask for my payment. Everyone knows that I am a man of my word.”

1 Like

Re: Moonlight Kiss By Angelsss(historical Romance) by Angelsssss(f): 4:32am On Jun 17, 2021
Hi guys! Anyone still here? Your girl was down with flu oo
Re: Moonlight Kiss By Angelsss(historical Romance) by Angelsssss(f): 4:32am On Jun 17, 2021
The Duke strolled away majestically. He had not felt happy like this for a very long time. Suddenly, the void of his father’s death was filled with the birth of a new feeling. He wanted Lucy. He couldn’t wait to see her again. One thing he was certain of was that she had enjoyed that kiss they’d share under moonlit sky. He would seek her out and kiss her again.
Elan felt a sharp pain in his chest. He couldn’t allow the Duke subject him to such public disgrace. He had to beg Lucy for her help.
Just as he was about leaving for his carriage, the chubby butler moved towards him with a paper in hand.
“Here, Lord Clairborne sent me to deliver this.”
This message got Elan confused, “but I just met with the Duke. What more does he want?”
“I mean the blue eyes Clairborne. Beauregard.” The butler explained and added vivid description of the man who had given him the note.
The Baron had seen Beau before, but they had never spoken to each other. Of what purpose was this meeting? He couldn’t wait to hear it.

The friends were back in the carriage, and it was taking them to Islington. Lucy died a thousand times over. Since her confession, Ariana had not spoken a word to her. This showed that her friend was secretly in love with the Duke, but she had only been pretending. Lucy felt bad for hurting her like that. Maybe she shouldn’t have confessed. Maybe she was wrong.
Unknown to her, Ariana wasn’t upset that she had kissed the Duke. She was only angry with her own life. Ariana felt nothing for Aldrich. Fine, the Duke was a very good looking man, and he was wealthy too. But she wasn’t interested in him.
Ariana had decided to take a stroll one sunny afternoon two years back; she had bumped into a horse rider. The young man had fine brown skin, tanned by the mercilessness of the sun. His golden locks were wild and free, and they fell to his back. And his eyes were the perfect image of the sea; turquoise and alluring. His name was Heif. And their eyes had locked instantly. They fell in love with each other, and they secretly met whenever her mother wasn’t in the castlette.
Ariana envied the freedom that Lucy had. Her parents were both dead, so there wasn’t anyone that would detect for her, whom she should marry. If the Duke loved her, then she had no problem with them getting married. She only feared her fate. Heif had waited long enough for her. It was time to stand up to her greedy mother, who was bent on selling her happiness.
“Ariana? Please say something to me. Your silence is killing me.” Lucy couldn’t take it anymore.
Ariana smiled and looked into her friend’s eyes.
“Do you think my silence means anger? Then you do not know me at all Lucy Wesley. I weep silently for my own destiny. You have found a man who loves you; one that the society adores. You both would get married and have many children…”she paused
Lucy’s bushy brows came together. She didn’t understand the sadness and the weariness in Ariana’s voice. What was her friend talking about?
“I am very sorry Ariana. Your mother intends for you to marry the Duke, and I kissed him. That is betrayal.”
Ariana shook her head, “you are wrong my friend. You haven’t betrayed me in anyway. I trust you with my life, Lucy. I have already stated in clear terms, that the Duke does not impress me. I do not want him.”
Lucy was shocked. At first when her friend made mention of the Duke, she had imagined a mediocre man with a powerful name and good deeds. But her encounter with Aldrich showed her something she had never known. How could any woman not like him?
“Most women would kill to have him kiss them, and you lie that you aren’t interested. If you are upset with me, come clean.” Lucy snapped at her. She was getting tired of Ariana’s pretence.
Ariana chuckled softly, “I know I should have told you this; but I decided to keep it to myself. I thought you will judge me.”
“What is that?” Lucy wondered.
Ariana shrugged, “I am in love with another. His name is Heif. But my mother would never agree to our union. I will need help in convincing her to sanction our union.”
Lucy was greatly surprised. She had never heard of this secret before. She realized that her friend was in love with another man, who wasn’t a highborn. This explained why she wasn’t interested in the Duke. Lucy pitied her friend. Her mother, the Marquees wasn’t a woman whose mind was easily swayed.
For this reason, Ariana would be scared to go against the woman’s wishes.
“What will you do now?” Lucy asked in a soft voice. She now understood why Ariana had been quiet all along.
Ariana brushed the tears that gathered in her eyes away.
“I have to tell my mother about Heif. It is not going to be easy, but I will try.”
“I don’t know what to say Ariana…I am lost for words.”
“You don’t need to say anything. The Duke is a responsible man. He doesn’t go around kissing women. I think he desires you. I give you my blessing Lucy.” Ariana gave Lucy’s small hands a squeeze.
This made Lucy feel better, but she still wouldn’t be with the Duke. Though her brother was a Baron, it didn’t mean his noble status extended to her. The Duke deserved a woman from a high class. Her brother’s wasteful life had lowered her status in the society. She was ashamed of him, and for herself. A man like Aldrich Clairbone could never love a lady like her. His only purpose was to have her in his bed.
“I do not want the Duke either.”
Ariana scoffed, “Don’t be silly. From the stories I have heard about Aldrich, he doesn’t give up on people easily.”

The Duke had not slept this peacefully in a long while. His thoughts were focused on the Baron’s sister. He was troubled. Only a few women would run away from such a passionate kiss. Yes, Aldrich knew that he was one of the most wanted bachelors in the society. He had finally found a woman he liked, and he would settle down with her.
He needed to see Lucy again; even if it meant going to Ox-Dale. A devious idea came to his mind as he thought about her brother who was indebted to him. Maybe he could use this opportunity to visit Ox-Dale, so he could see Lucy another time.
“I just have to see you, beautiful one.”
As he rose to his feet, the door to his bedroom flew wide open and his mother stormed in. Her entrance surprised him, because she hardly came to his room. Her eyes flamed with anger and a touch of worry. Aldrich sensed that something had gone wrong.
“Good morning Mother,” Aldrich greeted.
The Duchess waved his greetings aside with a hand, “the noble men from this Dukedom plot your downfall.” She bit her lip in annoyance. Never in history, had mere men tried to overthrow their Duke.
“How so?” Aldrich raised a brow, he was learning of this for the first time.
The Duchess shrugged, “they insist that you get married within two months, or your position would be claimed by another house.”
“You need a bride Aldrich. You need a woman from a powerful house to match ours. You do not have to worry about this, son. I have found you a woman.”
“Who?” Aldrich studied her carefully.
“Ariana Beldon of course; we have discussed this before.” The Duchess grimaced. How could her son forget so quickly?
Aldrich knew Ariana, she was very beautiful, but he wasn’t interested in her. They had never spoken at social functions before. He liked someone else, and he had to let his mother know.
“There’s no need for that. I have found a bride for myself and I shall pursue her.”
The news came as a surprise to the Duchess. Ariana’s mother was her friend, and they had planned this together. Aldrich couldn’t put her to shame. For all she cared, Ariana was the best woman for her son.
“That cannot happen, son; I have already found a woman for you. You will grow to love Ariana. She is a woman of class and nobility. She is perfect.”
He didn’t like the tone in her voice. The Duchess was trying too hard to force someone that he had no desire for upon him.
“I am the Duke of Wandsworth and I shall not take orders from my subjects!” He snapped at her.
“I am your mother Aldrich. I know what is best for you!” She scowled.
“You may be my mother, but I am still your Duke.”
Angrily, he strolled out of the room without looking back; leaving her alone in his bedroom.
The Duchess was afraid by the turnout of things. She hadn’t expected him to react this way. In most cases, the bride was chosen by the family. Why was Aldrich so irked about this?
“Whoever he has in mind must be really special,” the Duchess caressed her chin.
If she was able to lay her hand on the profile of the bride-to-be, then she could change her mind about Ariana. Though she wanted to be in-laws with the Marquees, her son’s happiness was paramount. The most important thing was for him to marry a woman from their class.
She decided to give Aldrich some space. The only person that could give her the answers that she sought was Beau. She w0uld find time and meet with him.

Whenever he was in a foul mood, Aldrich would take a horse and ride into the loneliest Woods in Wandsworth. Riding a horse distracted him from his thoughts. It made him relaxed. As he marched through the dim hallway that led to the throne room, he bumped into his cousin, Beau.
“You look very angry, what it is?” Beau quickly noticed the frown on his face.
“Get out of my way Beauregard. This is not the time for questions and observations. I have a lot of work on my hands.” Aldrich replied. One of the things he would think about while in the woods, were the men that were interested in his position. He had to find a suitable way to punish them. They didn’t deserve mercy. Plotting against a just Duke was a great crime, punishable by death. But Aldrich was not a tyrant. He would give them one more chance.
Beau had come to tell Aldrich about Lady Lucy Wesley. He had come to sow a seed of discord. He was certain that his plans would work.
“You don’t just wake up angry Aldrich, something or someone got you upset?” Beau lingered in his way.
This action got Aldrich more irritated, “get out of my way Beau. I want to get out of this castle. He was tired of everyone being in his business.
Beau wasn’t sure why his cousin was upset, but he decided to use this opportunity to tell Aldrich about Lucy. He was prepared to tear them apart. The news of the Noble men’s visit had spread like wild fire. If Aldrich didn’t marry soon, the throne could go to him. And Beau wanted to become Duke more than anything.
“I cannot,” Beau refused to move.
Aldrich gritted his teeth angrily, he felt like shoving his cousin aside.
“I am warning you Beau…” His voice was icy.
“I noticed your love interest last night. The Lady Lucy is elegance personified. She has more prospects of success than the Baron, her brother.” Beau started, and with this, he got his cousin’s attention.
The mention of her name made his heart to leap.
“How did you know of this?” Aldrich held his breath; he couldn’t wait to see her again.
Beau smiled, “it was obvious that you two were attracted to each other at first sight. You make a perfect match but…” Beau was about saying more when Aldrich stopped him.
“Mother wants me to marry Ariana Beldon, daughter of the Marquees and it turns out that Lucy is her friend. I like Lucy Wesley and I intend to make her Duchess. You must help me get her.” Suddenly, Aldrich could see that Beau was on his side.
Instead of paying the Baron a visit, he would send Beau on his behalf.
“You must leave for Ox-Dale. I will send some gifts for Lucy. Tell her brother of my interest in her. You are good with words, make this perfect. I want her to know that I truly care.” Aldrich sighed. Finally, he had found a woman that suited him. He wouldn’t rest until he had her.
Beau paled. He hadn’t seen this coming. He was about telling Aldrich about Lucy’s nonexistent fiancé when he had chipped in. This would complicate things. He needed to change his plans. Unknowingly, Aldrich had given Beau new information to work with.
“Why do you prefer her to the Marquees daughter?” Beau asked.
“This isn’t the time for questions. Take a horse and ride to Ox-Dale at once!”
His command was an insult to Beau. Beau was infuriated by his cousin’s uncouth approach, but he was careful not to show it. It was just a matter of time before the throne became his’.
“I will do as you wish.” Beau bowed and walked away.
He couldn’t wait to execute his own plans.
Lucy woke up with a song on her lips. She sat at the dining table knitting a table mat for the house while humming a love song. She didn’t want anything to do with Aldrich Clairborne, but thoughts of him consumed her mind. The feel of his lips against her skin the other night, was something she could never forget. It was a mix of tingly and delightful. It was magical! It was so beautiful, and the thought of having him kiss her again, made her blush.
“I cannot be with him. He isn’t the man for me.” She murmured. Lucy dropped the wool and the pins and crossed her hands against her chest. She couldn’t deny the fact that the Duke was a handsome man. Most single women wanted him. It was a great honour to be a wife of a powerful and wealthy Duke. But she wasn’t about power and fame.
Before the demise of her parents, Lucy remembered how they adored each other. Even after the death of her mother, her father had refused to remarry. He was faithful to her, till the end.
Lucy wanted that kind of marriage. This made her feel sad for her best friend. Though Ariana was in love with a commoner, marriages between people from two classes seldom manifested. In the end, Ariana would be heartbroken and she would be bundled up to a wealthy Earl or Count’s home.
The thought of being with someone she didn’t love terrified her. She shuddered at the thought of such a union. When Ariana’s heart would be finally broken, it was only a man as kind-hearted as the Duke that could mend the broken pieces. Whether the Duke believed her or not, Ariana was the woman for him. She had no place in his life.
“Who are you thinking about?” Elan dragged his feet as he joined his sister at the dining hall.
Lucy stiffened, she hadn’t known Elan was still in the castle.
“I am not thinking about anyone.” She quickly fetched her pins and a ball of wool.
“Really? A little bird told me my sister wasn’t around to listen to my poem. Was there a reason for your absence?” Elan arched a brow. He had searched for his sister in the hall, moments before his presentation. He had wanted to officially introduce Lucy to the high society, but she wasn’t on her table. When he had asked about it, the butler had revealed something that bothered him.
Lucy was getting impatient with her brother.
“If you want to say something to me, go straight to the point.” Her eyes fumed.
Elan laughed, “I hope you aren’t in love with him.”
“Who?” Her heart skipped.
“Aldrich Clairborne.”
“I don’t know what you’re talking about. I hope you aren’t trying to question my dignity.” Lucy scoffed. Of all the people that should judge her, Elan was qualified to be on that list.
“Well, I know for sure that you spent some time with him. Stay away from the Duke of Wandsworth; he is like a gold fish in a wide sea. I do not want to see you get hurt.” Elan warned.
How could he tell his sister that the Duke was a gambler? He didn’t enjoy being addressed as a gambler. In fact, if the secret of their visits to the game house was leaked, they will lose their respect in the eyes of other noble men.
Lucy didn’t like the tone of his voice. Why would Elan say something like that?
“Is that the only reason? Last I checked, he is more responsible than some Barons in Ox-Dale.” Lucy snorted and rolled her eyes.
Elan pulled in a deep breath, “I do not want to see you around him anymore.”
“I hate threats Elan. I am a woman. I can share my time with any man of my choice. You do not have the right to order me. You lost your rights when you gambled your fortune away.” She couldn’t believe his effrontery.
Elan wished his sister knew of the Duke’s double life style.
“I know I am not in a good position to order you around. But I remain the Baron of this castle. As long as you live with me, you shall obey my orders.”
Lucy knew she had enough of his threats, when he had told her this.
“How long shall you remain Baron Elan? You are still in debt. You never told me what happened, the other night you came crying. Do you expect me to fear you? You can barely keep your life together.”
Elan bit his lip and thought of the perfect words to speak in return, but he found none.
It wasn’t long before the maid rushed in to announce a visitor.
“Who?” The siblings asked.
“Sir Beauregard of Wandsworth, cousin to the Duke; he demands a word with you Baron.” The maid bowed her head and left.
Lucy wasn’t comfortable with Beau’s presence in the castle. What did he want? She remembered him clearly from the night before. He had been trying to flirt with her, but she had rebuffed him with a lie.
“Do you know him?” Lucy asked her brother.
“I met him at the show. He must have a good reason for wanting to see me.”

1 Like

Re: Moonlight Kiss By Angelsss(historical Romance) by Joanney: 4:35am On Jun 17, 2021
Hi
Sorry oo
Am guessing you're 100% now.
It's good to see ur update.

1 Like

Re: Moonlight Kiss By Angelsss(historical Romance) by Angelsssss(f): 11:49am On Jun 17, 2021
Joanney:
Hi
Sorry oo
Am guessing you're 100% now.
It's good to see ur update.

Thank you!
Re: Moonlight Kiss By Angelsss(historical Romance) by Ogeawesome: 3:08pm On Jun 18, 2021
well articulated, please continue, the suspense is killing

1 Like

Re: Moonlight Kiss By Angelsss(historical Romance) by drewsman: 6:09pm On Jun 19, 2021
Nice story you got here. Following

1 Like

Re: Moonlight Kiss By Angelsss(historical Romance) by Angelsssss(f): 7:45pm On Jun 28, 2021
The marquees and Ariana were together at the table. Ariana had been thinking deeply about the conversation that she had with her best friend. Lucy as the first person she had opened up to about Heif; the man that she loved. She picked at the berries in her plate without eating them. Her thoughts were far away.
“You don’t look too happy, what bothers you?” The Marquees noticed the gloomy expression of her daughter. Not that she cared; all she wanted was to be relevant in the society again. She would do anything possible to gain back the power that she had lost.
Ariana dropped her fork and fetched a glass of water close to her lips. She couldn’t face her mother with the truth. The Marquees would have her head.
“I just have a little headache,” Ariana lied.
“Maybe I should call the doctor then?” The woman’s eyes were fixed on her daughter.
Ariana quickly shook her head.
“No, it will wear off after sleep.”
The Marquees smiled and shrugged, “very well then. I know I haven’t addressed you officially on this matter. But you must prepare yourself. Soon, you shall become duchess of Wandsworth. My very own daughter would be wife to the most powerful man after the King.”
The woman paused when she noticed that Ariana was not thrilled by this news.
Ariana shifted uncomfortably in her chair, how could her mother be this self centred? Didn’t she care about her happiness? Why was she more interested in her place in the society than her daughter’s joy?
“What is it? You should be happy with my offer. Many ladies your age would kill to have a man like the Duke.” The Marquees voice rose. She had expected a warmer reception.
Ariana sucked in some air and closed her eyes. She had just two options here. She had to be strong and face whatever consequences would follow, if she stood up against her mother. Or she could be a weakling and accept to marry Aldrich. Such a union would never work. Already, Aldrich had eyes on Lucy and this made her very happy.
She envied her friend in no way; and she genuinely yearned for Lucy’s happiness and fulfilment.
“Mother…”Ariana called in a weak voice.
“Yes?” The Marquees sensed that her daughter was about to say something stupid.
“I do not want to marry the Duke of Wandsworth. He is a good man. He is responsible, but he isn’t the man for me. I do not love him. Perhaps you should give me the chance to find my own husband.” While she spoke, she dared not look at the Marquees’ face. For her mother’s eyes was a sea of flames.
The woman couldn’t believe her ears.
“I shall pretend I didn’t hear that. Get yourself ready child. We ride for Wandsworth in two days. You need to get acquainted with the duke. His mother and I have discussed; we think that it is best you both marry before next spring.” These were her last words to her daughter, before she pulled the chair back and rose to her feet.
Ariana knew that this was the only chance that she had. If she didn’t stand up to her mother now, she would regret it later.
“I shall not come to Wandsworth!” Ariana jumped to her feet.
For a moment, the Marquees was stunned. Her daughter had never spoken to her this way. Ariana had never had this boldness and confidence. What had changed?
“Why?” She asked calmly.
“I do not want to marry Aldrich Clairborne! I have my own life to live. I don’t want to be an unhappy woman. I don’t want a marriage like that of you and father; a marriage of interests and convenience.” Ariana’s lips rushed for words.
The Marquees pressed a shaky hand against her chest. Ariana had insulted her, far more than she could ever imagine.
“All these years, I have raised you like an eagle. I have desired the best for you as my only child and heir, but you remind me of your miserable father, every single day. If not for his weakness, I would’ve been the most powerful woman in London. I do not want us to fight about this…” she hadn’t finished, when Ariana cut in.
Ariana scoffed, “Or what? Will you lock me up in your dungeon, like you do your servants? I accept that my father was a weak man, but his weakness dwelt in the place of your aversion. You never loved him. You emasculated him. You never showed him honour. I want to love. I want to desire. I want to feel hurt. I want to heal. I don’t want to be anything like you.” Tears stung Ariana’s eyes, and she couldn’t control then. They flowed down her supple cheeks gently, like a stream of water on baby rocks.
The Marquees clenched her teeth. The pain that her daughter’s confession had brought upon her was unimaginable. Ariana was a little ingrate.
“Do you think I am a stone? I have blood running through my veins. I never loved your father. There was one before him, but he died! Your father isn’t as good as you have imagined him to be. I have learned the most important lesson in this world; it is the lesson of survival and power. This world that we live in thrives on those two things. Without power and the will to survive, you are nothing. Love is just an empty word.”
Ariana wiped her face, “No it isn’t. If you had fought hard enough, you would have had the chance to love another before my father. I will not let you rule over me. I shall not marry Aldrich Clairborne. I am prepared to face any consequences there must be.”
The Marquees had made up her mind to regain the importance that’s she had lost, even if it meant sacrificing her only daughter.
“I didn’t abandon you when your father died. I raised and loved you. It is time for you to serve your purpose in my life…” she snapped her fingers twice. And it didn’t take long before the guards that stood by the entrance of the dining hall rushed in.
“In two days, we ride for Wandsworth. You must marry Aldrich Clairborne, even if it means being chained to the altar.”
“You are despicable!” Ariana screamed as the guards moved towards her. How could her mother force her to marry a man that knew nothing about her?
“I agree, you will thank me for this later.”
The Marquees quickly turned to the guards, “Make sure she doesn’t leave her room. Her servants shall bathe and feed her even in those chains.”
Ariana’s scream filled the castlette, but there was no one to save her. Nobody could hear her, except the woman that had ordered for her arrest.

“What brings you to my castle, Mr. Wandsworth?” The Baron smiled. He quickly remembered that Beau had dropped a note with the butler from his show. He felt uneasy about Beau’s visit. Anything connected to the Duke, made him feel uncomfortable. He owed Aldrich half of his inheritance, which he had gambled and wasted on women. If he failed to clear his debt; his name will forever be in shame.
Beau ran his eyes over the castle. It was neat and averagely furnished, but not to the taste of a baron. So the rumours weren’t just rumours, there were true. Elan Wesley was a broke baron. Maybe he could use this to his advantage.
“Two things bring me here…” Beau smiled at Lucy, who was desperately trying to avoid him. Briefly, he imagined himself as the duke, and Lucy as his duchess. They will make a perfect match.
With every word that he spoke, Lucy grew more uncomfortable. Everything was wrong about this man. From the first time Beau had come to her, something within her resented him. Lucy concluded in her heart, that it would be better to stay away from the Duke and his cousin.
“I must retire to my chambers now,” she rose to her feet and made for her room.
“That is rude of you, milady. I brought gifts from Wandsworth. You should receive me with more honour.” Beau wasn’t pleased. He snapped at her.
Elan’s eyes widened at the mention of gifts. He was eager to know who had brought gifts for his sister. Was Beau interested in Lucy? Was this the reason he had dropped a note asking for them to meet? As Beau’s eyes feasted on his sister’s trim figure, he ran his eyes over the duke’s cousin.
Elan was a man of experience. In his recklessness, he had encountered different types of men and women of society; one thing was certain about Beau…he was a pretender. The baron didn’t like Beau, or the way he had spoken to Lucy. Normally, he would have called Lucy to order or chastised her, for walking out on a guest; but he wouldn’t do that. Beau didn’t deserve that honour. If the gifts he had brought were from him, Elan was set to return them immediately. But if the Duke had sent him, he would reconsider.
He knew that Lucy was very beautiful. Her time was ripe; men would come for her hand, but only the best would be for his sister.
Lucy knew Elan would attack her for walking away, but she didn’t care.
“I have a little headache sir. I must have some rest now.” Lucy smiled kindly, and the sight of her dimples made Beau’s chest squirm in an uncertain manner.
Then turning to her brother, she said, “I am sorry brother. I do not mean to dishonour our guest, but I must leave.”
Beau liked her even more as she apologized. This was the kind of woman that suited him; humble and submissive. He would have her as his wife. It was time to destroy everything that the Duke had built!
“The Duke is getting married to your friend, Lady Ariana Beldon…” Beau blurted out.
The siblings stared at each other in shock. Lucy’s heart skipped when she heard this. Her tummy fluttered and she almost lost balance. How could that happen? Ariana never kept any secrets from her. It was Ariana that had encouraged her to nurture the feelings that she had for the Duke. Why would her friend accept to marry him now?
“The Duke asked me to invite you both. This is the reason he sent me to bring the gifts.” Beau smiled as he relayed the information.
This came as a surprise to Elan as well.
“When is the ceremony taking place? I should write a poem.” Elan noticed a sad look in Lucy’s eyes. This was what he had wanted her to avoid. Lucy was smitten by the Duke, and the news of his wedding to her best friend hurt her.
Lucy couldn’t take it anymore. Her head began to throb, this time, for real. She gathered her skirts and rushed out of the dining hall. The Duke of Wandsworth wasn’t an honourable man like she had thought. He had stolen a kiss from her lips, only to wed her friend, a few days after.
Beau noticed Lucy’s reaction. He felt delighted that she was broken by this news. Well, he wasn’t lying. Knowing the Duchess quite well, she would make sure that her son gets married to the Marquees’ daughter. And he was going to help her achieve her dream.
“So the Duke sent you all the way from Wandsworth to come deliver the news of his marriage?” Elan found this unbelievable.
Beau sensed that the baron didn’t trust him very much. He had to find a way to win Elan’s trust.
“Do you think of me as a dishonest person?” Beau shifted uncomfortably.
The baron guffawed, “I never said so, or are you guilty of lying?”
Beau sighed, “May I share something of importance to you? This will be our own secret.”
Elan crossed his arms against his chest and waited to hear this important news. He didn’t take Beauregard seriously.
“I know about Morglay Street. I know that you and the Duke often meet there.” Beau dropped the bomb, and Elan’s heart almost popped out of from his chest. He stiffened as he realized that someone knew of his secret.
A devious glint danced in Beau’s eyes. He had gotten the Baron where he wanted him to be.
“What else do you know? And what do you intend to do with this discovery of yours?” The baron moved away from Beau. A heavy feeling filled his chest as he stared at the duke’s cousin. Already, he was a failed baron in the eyes of many people. If they knew about Morglay Street and the other noble men who gambled there, he will be blamed for everything.
The Duke will suspect that he had shared their secret to avoid paying his debt.
“Nothing, if you comply with me…” Beau smiled. He knew exactly what Elan was thinking. Beau intended to trap the baron with his threats. If the news about Morglay Street fell into the hands of the News carriers, the baron would be in trouble.
“I know that you gambled with the Duke some nights ago. He won. He asks for your inheritance and I doubt if you have any left…” Beau paused and ran his eyes over the under furnished dining hall. It wasn’t befitting of one of noble blood.
The baron’s jaws tightened.
“Are you threatening me? What makes you think that I can submit to a little fry like you?” Elan scoffed.
Beau shrugged, “I am not asking for your submission. I command it.”
“I can’t believe my ears. You walked into my castle to threaten me? What is your purpose in all of these? What do you stand to gain?” Elan had sensed from the beginning that Beau had something mischievous under his sleeves. He had revealed himself in time.
Beau had just one plan.
“Do not allow the Duke to marry your sister, no matter how hard he tries. Though you have been stripped of gold and silver; I can help you repay the debt that you owe him. I will clear your name on Morglay Street and make sure no one ever hears your secret.”
The Baron wasn’t a fool. He was well aware that most gifts came with a price.
“Why would you clear my debt in gold and silver? What is in it for you?”
Beau had seen an ally in Elan. They both shared a dislike for Aldrich Clairborne. For him, he wanted to kill the Duke and take over the throne. For Elan, the Duke wanted to strip him of what was left. Beau was certain that the baron wouldn’t refuse his offer.
“You will help me become the next Duke of Wandsworth. I shall take Lucy as my wife. And I will give you monthly payment in return. You may not be wealthy, but you are young and vibrant. You can arrange an “invisible and invincible assassin to do the dirty work.
But if you turn down my offer, I will walk out of your castle and tell everyone about Morglay Street. You will not only lose the respect others had for you, but you will be in trouble with the men, whose names you will smear.
No one will know that I had a hand in this. Even if you try to convince them, they will never believe. So, make your choice now.”
Elan was stunned at Beau’s audacity and self confidence. Beau had put him in a very difficult position that he could never come out from. If he rejected the offer, he would be endangering his own life. Beau had access to important information, and information was everything in the society.
Agreed, he didn’t like the Duke very much. But the hatred he felt for Beauregard was greater than any he had felt for anyone, before.
“I will help you ascend the throne of Wandsworth. But you shall not marry my sister. She is deserving of a better man.” The Baron had no choice but to take the offer.
Beau’s lips curled into a smile. He knew from the beginning, that Elan would not refuse his offer.
“Help me become Duke first. We shall deliberate about your sister later.”
Beau left Ox-Dale, feeling accomplished. His next task was to convince Aldrich against marrying Lucy Wesley. This would be a herculean task, but he was prepared to try. Aldrich was very strong willed, but even a wild horse could be broken. Beau was determined to succeed.
Elan watched Beau from the window, until he disappeared into the thick fog that had befallen Ox-Dale.
“I will not be part of this,” Elan murmured. Beau thought himself wise, but he was a big fool.
Once Beau was gone, Lucy rushed out of her room to meet with her brother.
“He is gone,” her eyes settled on the gifts that the Duke had sent her.
“Yes he is.” Elan replied in a soft voice. The troubled expression in his face wasn’t missed by his sister.
“What is wrong Elan?” Lucy moved closer to him.
Elan was burdened by the things Beau had told him. He wasn’t strong enough to fight. He had to figure out a way to get out of this. If the Duke of Wandsworth sensed that his position was being threatened. He would be in trouble.
“Nothing, you must leave Ox-Dale immediately.” Elan commanded.
“What?” Lucy’s brows came together. Why had her brother taken such a hasty decision?
“You heard me. I don’t have time to explain. You just have to leave…”
Lucy rolled her eyes, “You don’t get to order me around. I will only leave this castle if you give me a reason to.” She folded her hands across her chest, and waited to hear him speak.
“I cannot tell you Lucy. It is dangerous. I don’t want to get you into trouble.”
“I insist Elan. I am your sister. If you have gotten yourself into any kind of trouble, you should share it with me first. I may not be able to get you out of the ditch, but I may be able to show you a way to save yourself.”
Though her words were convincing, Elan was not comfortable about sharing his burden. But that was the only way to get his sister out of Ox- Dale. He had no choice. He wanted Lucy far away. So that when the Duke finally discovered Beau’s plot, she would be safe. He couldn’t lift a finger against Aldrich Clairborne. The Duke had done him no harm.
If he couldn’t find a way to play out of Beau’s hands, Beau was going to frame him. The laws were written and sealed. Anyone who tried to usurp a sitting ruler was to be killed, along with his family members. Lucy was the only family he had left. He couldn’t let her die for something he knew nothing about.
“Fine!” The baron threw his hands into the air.
“Beauregard is a dishonest and vile man. He wants to set me against the Duke.”
Lucy’s brows narrowed in confusion, “He wants to frame you for a crime you didn’t commit?” Lucy swallowed at the thought of her brother being framed.
“Yes. He wants me to do something very dirty, but I cannot. And I don’t know how to play out of his hands.”
Calmly, she inhaled and asked, “What does he demand of you?”

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Moonlight Kiss By Angelsss(historical Romance) by rayvelez(m): 8:11pm On Jun 28, 2021
Wow reading it look like watching British movies.

1 Like

Re: Moonlight Kiss By Angelsss(historical Romance) by Angelsssss(f): 10:38pm On Jun 28, 2021
rayvelez:
Wow reading it look like watching British movies.

Thanks dear. Keep following
Re: Moonlight Kiss By Angelsss(historical Romance) by Nathz101(m): 11:47pm On Jun 28, 2021
More update pls
following
Re: Moonlight Kiss By Angelsss(historical Romance) by Angelsssss(f): 12:00am On Jun 30, 2021
Nathz101:
More update pls

following

Great!
Re: Moonlight Kiss By Angelsss(historical Romance) by Angelsssss(f): 1:44am On Aug 13, 2021
Though his body was in Wandsworth, his mind had drifted to a far place. He was thinking about Lucy; the lady that had captured his heart and found a lasting place in his thoughts. Never had he been this attracted to a woman. Well, no one could blame him.
Lucy Wesley wasn’t like any other woman. She didn’t throw herself on him. She wasn’t desperate. And her withdrawn nature made her more attractive. Though she was the baron’s younger sister, she didn’t behave irresponsibly like he did. She seemed to him, a calm and calculative woman. The fire in her spirit, suggested that she was ambitious as well.
Aldrich had been sitting in his throne room, pondering on his meetings with some of the noble men and Lucy, as well. The sound of footsteps propelled him back to reality, and he quickly straightened on the throne. He wondered who had come to disturb his quiet time.
He had come to the throne room to avoid his mother who pestered him about getting married to Ariana Beldon. He wasn’t interested in the Marquees’ daughter. And the earlier his mother realized this, the better for her.
Ariana was no doubt a very suitable wife. But he wasn’t attracted to her. His heart desired Lucy.
The door parted open at once. To his surprise, it was Beau.
“My Lord,” Beau bowed before the Duke and moved closer to the throne.
“You return fast.” Aldrich stepped down from the throne. He was excited to see Beauregard. He was eager to know how Lucy fared and how she accepted his gifts.
“My Lord, Ox-Dale and Wandsworth are sister lands.” Beau smiled.
Aldrich noticed slight change in Beauregard’s countenance. He was certain that his cousin had not been happy to go to Ox-Dale. But the Beau standing before him, seemed very excited. And it made the Duke wonder why.
“Lady Lucy and her brother accepted your gifts quite well…”the smile quickly faded from Beau’s eyes. It was time to play his part well. He had to convince Aldrich to forget Lucy. He needed to move on with us life. He had to accept his mother’s choice for him.
Aldrich noticed the change in Beau’s expression.
“Did something bad happen to her?”
Beau swallowed and looked away.
“I cannot tell you. You will have my head.” Beau pulled his eyes away from the Duke, and stared at the floor.
“How could you think of something like that? You are my blood. And everything you think of me is good and not of evil. I order you to speak as your Duke.”
Beau returned his gaze to the Duke’s face.
“Lady Lucy shared an intimate secret with me. Though she accepted your gifts with a joyful heart, she cannot love you the way that you want her to…”
Aldrich didn’t quite understand that.
“I don’t get you. And what secret did she share?”
“Lady Lucy is promised to another man. At first, when she told me of this at her brother’s show, I didn’t believe her. But the Baron confirmed it today. You cannot have her, she belongs to another man. And she loves him very much.”
Aldrich couldn’t believe this. He was stunned out of his ears. The picture that Beau was painting about Lucy didn’t match. She didn’t cross him as a woman that would kiss a stranger, while being engaged to another.
Sadness welled up within his soul, but he was able to control it. He noted that Lucy had kissed him passionately. She liked him. Everything changed when he introduced himself as the Duke of Wandsworth. A deed, he regretted in that moment.
“Thank you for going to Ox-Dale for me. I shall take over from here.”
He knew that kissing another man’s betrothed wasn’t the right thing to do; but he had no idea that Lucy Wesley was engaged to another. Aldrich’s happiness and hopes fled as he imagined what a bleak future he had. The only woman that had caught his attention was the baron’s younger sister. He was lost. Maybe his mother was right. Maybe he should consider Ariana Beldon.
“I will take my leave now,” Beau bowed his head and walked out of the throne room.
On his way out, he almost bumped into the Duchess. He bowed his head.
“Apologies, I was deep in thoughts.”
Elena Clairborne wasn’t a short tempered woman. She forgave her nephew’s carelessness. She had come to the throne room to discuss an important matter with her son. Aldrich had no option in this matter. He had to consider the bride that she was offering.
“You have been away from the palace Beauregard. Where did you go?” She clasped her thick fingers around the little fan that she carried around.
Beau immediately explained that the Duke had sent him on an errand to Ox-Dale. Perhaps this was another chance to poison the Duchess’ heart against Lucy Wesley. This was the only way to keep her for himself.
“Ox- Dale? Nothing good lies there, except the dusty castle of Elan Wesley.” The woman snorted.
Her retort made Beau to laugh, “Your son sent me to the baron.”
“What for?” The woman’s expression changed.
“He intends to marry the lady Wesley, but I handled everything properly.”
Elena’s heart skipped a beat. No nobleman in the society would want anything to do with the Wesleys. Elan’s irresponsible ways weren’t new to the society. Even his finest poems couldn’t make up for it. He was a useless baron. Elena didn’t know much about Lucy Wesley, but the thought of the baron repulsed her.
“You lie; my son would never have business with such a family.” She was sure of this. Aldrich was very wealthy and powerful. There wasn’t any way he would show interest in Lucy.
Beau nodded, “I thought so as well, but he really did cherish her. Luckily, the lady is engaged to be married. And she doesn’t want anything to do with him. He has no choice but to marry Ariana.”
The news of this development pleased Elena. For the first time, she realized that Beau understood what she wanted for her son. Beau was on her side.
“If you convince Aldrich to marry Ariana, or stand by me as I perfect that plan, I shall persuade Aldrich to give you a title; here in Wandsworth.” Elena smiled.
She thought her words would please Beauregard, but they only angered him.
“What a foolish woman she is. So she expects me to play second fiddle to her weakling of a son?” Beau’s thoughts were dark, but the smile on his face was bright.
The woman was pleased with this news.
“I always knew that my son had a love interest, but the woman in question was invisible at the time. I am pleased with this information. I will send a warning to the baron and his miserable sister. They must stay away from my son.” The Duchess eyes flashed raw anger.
At this point, Beau knew that his plans had worked. Elena Clairborne would never sanction the union between Aldrich and Lucy. This left him with the option of having Lucy as his bride. Now that this matter was cleared, he needed to find a way to reach Elan. The assassin had to reach the palace soon.
“Let me speak to Aldrich. If he insists on failing me, I will show him that I am his mother.”
“Very well then, I have other important matters to attend.”

Aldrich moved away from the throne, towards the acacia table where his wine was being kept. He didn’t have the strength to walk down to the wine keep or beckon on his servants to do so. He poured himself a glass of wine, and quickly emptied it into his belly.
He was enraged by the frustration that he felt. Just when he’d thought the emptiness that had consumed his life was almost over, he was back to the same level where he was.
He had fallen for a woman who wanted nothing to do with him. How could he move on from this kind of pain? How would he rise above it?
“No,” his fingers trembled as he gulped down the sour content. His belly churned at the unpleasant visitation of the stale wine. The Duke was about having another glass, when the door to the throne room opened, and an angry looking Elena Clairborne walked in.
“Aldrich!” She was shocked to see her son drinking again. From the look on his face, he was in deep pain. All the anger she felt fled at once. She felt pity for her son.
The glass tumbled from his hands and fell to the ground, shattering into pieces. Sweat trickled down the side of his face. He moved away from the table and turned his back on his mother.
“What is this madness I hear about you Aldrich?” She began.
Aldrich boiled on the inside. It seemed his mother would prove herself an appropriate vessel to channel his frustrations. At once, he swirled round and faced her.
“Mind the way you speak to me mother. I hold higher authority than you.”
“You are clearly drunk on stale wine! You cannot marry Lucy Wesley! I object to such a union. I noticed that your cousin has been out of the castle. He told me everything…”
Aldrich hadn’t expected Beau to run his mouth like a little boy. He had expected him to be wise and discreet. Well, he had nothing to hide anymore.
“You do not have any reason to war with me. She is engaged and I must never have her.” Aldrich’s shoulders sagged.
“Even if she wasn’t, I could never allow you to bring such vile blood into the Wandsworth clan,” The Duchess said.
Her confidence amused Aldrich.
“Mother, I have never found a woman as special as Lucy. She is finely bred and responsible. I understand your fears, but she is nothing like Elan. She is different. If their father had left the castlette in her hands, she would have created more avenues for wealth. Lucy is fire.

1 Like

Re: Moonlight Kiss By Angelsss(historical Romance) by Angelsssss(f): 1:45am On Aug 13, 2021
She has purpose. And if she wasn’t taken by another man, nothing on this earth would have stopped me from marrying her; not even you or my late father’s ghost.”
The Duchess couldn’t believe her son would speak to her this way. She gritted her teeth angrily and curled her fingers into a fist.
“You disrespect me with your words, but I will forgive you. You are my son.”
“I meant no disrespect. I am a man in love. Surely, you know what this feels like. You and father had the best marriage in the society. You were happy. Your union made me the man I am.”
At the mention of the man that she loved, Elena’s heart softened towards her son’s predicament. From the forlorn look in his eyes, she realized that Aldrich was deeply in love with the Lady Wesley. He was a very sensitive and emotional man. And if care wasn’t taken, he may never be happy with another woman. The thought of this scared Elena.
“You are right about I and your father, but our union was blessed. We came from two important families and we merged together to build Wandsworth. I understand your love for Lucy, but your position in the society is of greater importance. The baron of Ox-Dale is not the kind of in-law that I would want.”
For the first time, Aldrich realized how selfish his mother was. She didn’t care about his feelings. She was more interested in the standing of the Wandsworth name, forgetting his happiness.
“The Wesleys may not be wealthy, but they still occupy a powerful place in Ox-Dale,” he countered.
Elena stiffened. It was obvious that Aldrich wasn’t over Lucy, even with the latest discovery about her. If care wasn’t taken, he could scare her fiancé away and marry her by force. Elena could never allow this to happen.
“I have arranged a meeting between you and the daughter of the Marquees. In two days, they shall come around. You will marry her, and make me a proud mother.”
Aldrich said nothing. His mind still dwelt with Lucy and the kiss they had shared under the moonlight. He had to see her one more time. He had to look into her eyes. He wanted to hear her deny what they shared with her lips. Until then, he had no answer for his mother.
“As you wish,” he replied calmly.
He would ride to Ox-Dale at the middle of the night. Aldrich made up his mind to meet the baron and his sister tonight. He wouldn’t take anyone with him, not even his cousin, Beauregard. He would find his answers tonight.

Lucy had pestered her brother to share with her his burden, but Elan refused. He couldn’t drag Lucy into the danger he’d found himself. He wanted her to leave Ox-Dale, before nightfall. Only then, would she be safe.
“I cannot tell you more Lucy. I know you wouldn’t understand, but you have to trust me.”
Lucy scoffed, “Trust you? From the first time that Beauregard presented himself to me, I had a bad feeling about him. If he is trying to frame you for a crime that you did not commit, don’t you think it is best that you share this secret?”
Elan’s eyes were pale. Perspiration covered his facial skin. He was deeply worried about something. Lucy wished there was something that she could do to help her brother out of whatever he had gotten himself entangled in.
“Are you in great debt? Is this the reason Beau is trying to frame you?” Lucy wondered.
Elan rose from the chair he occupied, and walked straight to the window. He yanked the silky curtains apart and stared into the street. The weather was dull. The brightness of the sun was diminishing. Lucy had to leave Ox-Dale, whether she liked it or not.
“Enough! I will no longer entertain your questions.” Angrily he turned around and faced her. He couldn’t understand this passionate reason for her stubbornness. He knew that Lucy cared about him, but that wasn’t enough reason that she would risk her life.
In all her years on earth, she had never seen her brother this angry. Elan’s face resembled a grotesque figure. She had angered him by her persistent questioning. Lucy knew she had no choice but to comply. Trusting Elan wasn’t something she would ordinarily want to do, but he seemed honest this time around.
“I am sorry. I shall get my things and travel.” Her lips moved in apology and acceptance of his will for her.
“You shall go with some guards. I do not want you travelling unguarded,” he pronounced.
Lucy objected with a shake of her head. Elan had pushed her out of their home without any explanation. He didn’t owe her any protection.
“If I must leave, I will go to Islington by myself. I do not need your guards or your protection. You have driven me out without a reason. I am obeying you as my older brother and nothing more.”
Elan raised a hand, he wanted to argue, but her words made him understand that he had treated Lucy unfairly.
“The road to Islington is dangerous at night. You could encounter thieves or raiders. Please, Lucy, listen to me.”
She spun on her heel and made for her room. She would pack her things and rush over to Ariana’s house. Lucy missed her friend. Maybe paying Ariana a visit at such a time wasn’t a bad idea at all. She couldn’t wait to hear Ariana’s explanation about her sudden marriage to the Duke; the same man that Ariana had advised her to love.
As Lucy ran her eyes over her wardrobe, she imagined what Ariana’s life would be like. Her best friend was in love with another man. How would she be with the Duke?
Briefly, the passionate kiss she had shared with Aldrich flashed in her mind; the mating of lips; the dance of tongues and his warm hands on her back. Aldrich was a perfect lover, and she missed him.
“I love him,” she confessed, head buried in her wardrobe.
Lucy had never felt this way for a man before. Aldrich was the first man to tear the veil that shielded her young heart from abuse and pain. He had offered himself to her that night; but all her expectations of him had fled, when he had introduced himself as the Duke of Wandsworth.
Unhappily and sluggishly, Lucy gathered a few clothes; while making a mental note of how many days she planned to stay in Islington. She couldn’t bear the thought of Ariana being happy for the rest of her days; neither could she bear the thought of Aldrich being married to another.
Lucy decided to spend just a night in Islington. She had relatives to the South of England. Once the night had broken its shell, she would ride for Tamarin; the place of her mother’s people.
When she was done, the sun had completely faded. In her place, the moon began to ascend, and the stars showed their lovely faces. This reminded her of the first kiss she had shared with Aldrich; for it had taken place, under the moonlight.
Lucy moved to the barn and fetched the strongest horse in the castlette. He was a nightrider. And he would lead her to Islington.
“I am sorry Lucy, but I cannot let you leave without protection,” Elan stood on her way.
“You left me without protection a long time ago. You squandered our inheritance. Now, you throw me into the dark by refusing to share that which is important. Move out of my way.” Lucy grabbed the reins that bound the horse to her slender body.
Elan sighed. He quickly pulled a black knife from his pocket and handed it to her.
“Since you wouldn’t let my guards escort you, take this knife, should you encounter men of the night.”
Reluctantly, Lucy collected the short blade and bounced out of the castlette with the nightrider. And a black hood, that covered her face.
When her back had vanished, Elan snapped his fingers and called to one of his guards.
“Follow her, but keep a distance. If anything happens to my sister, I shall feed your head to the wolves of River Mountain.”
The guard bowed in understanding, and rushed to fetch himself a horse.
A feeling of despair came over Elan as he thought of Beauregard’s threats. How could he kill a man like Aldrich? He had never killed a man before! Why would Beau drag him into his inner battle of greed and power?
Beau didn’t have anything to lose in this regard. He was the only person that was endangered. Beau was a sly fox. He seemed innocent on the outside, but his heart was dark.
Elan was about moving into the castle, when he spotted a rider on a golden stallion. The man’s face was shielded by a turban, so he couldn’t see much. Fear gripped Elan’s heart as the man neared the castle gate. He was able to see this much, because of the low fence.
When the black gate opened, the rider with a turban rode in. For the guards to have opened the gate for him, meant that, he was familiar.
“The Baron of Ox- Dale!”
Elan stiffened by this sarcastic salute. When the man pulled off the turban, he realized it was the Duke’s cousin.
“What do you want with me Beauregard? My time is not yet up!”
Beau smiled, the fear in the baron’s eyes was clearly visible.
“Aye, I came here to perfect our strategy. There has been a change in our plans.”
Elan didn’t like the devilish glare he’d spotted in Beau’s eyes. Had Beau suspected that he would tell the Duke of their plans? Had Beauregard come to harm him?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Moonlight Kiss By Angelsss(historical Romance) by drewsman: 9:15am On Aug 13, 2021
You've got a nice story here with a captivating theme. The only issue here is the long periods in-between updates. This make some of us to go back to previous updates before we can conveniently follow.

If you can pls make the updates a bit more regular.

PS: I also noticed that you've not been updating the story on your blog too
Re: Moonlight Kiss By Angelsss(historical Romance) by Angelsssss(f): 4:57pm On Aug 13, 2021
drewsman:
You've got a nice story here with a captivating theme. The only issue here is the long periods in-between updates. This make some of us to go back to previous updates before we can conveniently follow.

If you can pls make the updates a bit more regular.

PS: I also noticed that you've not been updating the story on your blog too

Hi dear. Thanks. My blog has a little issue. I'll sort it out.
Re: Moonlight Kiss By Angelsss(historical Romance) by drewsman: 12:07am On Aug 14, 2021
Angelsssss:

Hi dear. Thanks. My blog has a little issue. I'll sort it out.

Aiit sis, more grease to your elbow. Looking forward to reading more of your writings.

PS: thanks for the updates (I should have said that first)
Re: Moonlight Kiss By Angelsss(historical Romance) by Missmossy(f): 11:13am On Aug 15, 2021
Good to have you back Angelsssss, wonderful story as usual. More updates biko.
Re: Moonlight Kiss By Angelsss(historical Romance) by doctorexcel: 1:17am On Aug 16, 2021
Re: Moonlight Kiss By Angelsss(historical Romance) by Angelsssss(f): 1:56pm On Aug 18, 2021
Darkness had completely taken over the land, only the light of the moon and the blinking of the stars led her through. In a few hours, she would be at Islington with her friend. Lucy wasn’t afraid of what lay ahead as she neared the Woods of Idralia. She had heard stories of bandits building their nest in the Woods. She paused at the entrance and stared at the thick conglomeration of pine trees.
She stared behind and returned her gaze ahead. For some reason, Lucy had a feeling that someone was either watching or following her. Though she couldn’t see anyone, she found it difficult to shake the feeling off.
Her small hands ran over night rider’s long ears as she stroked the stallion. Even the animal was nervous. The Woods of Idralia wasn’t a good place for the night. Lucy closed her eyes and listened to the dark. All she heard were crickets and the song of the wind. It seemed that she was safe.
Lucy was about moving into the Woods when she heard a crying sound. It resembled that of a horse; only that nightrider was in perfect shape. Someone was behind!
Quickly, she jumped off her horse and led it to a tree. She had to hide herself somewhere, in case the traveller was a dangerous person. After tying her horse, Lucy cloaked her face with the hood that came with her dress. She hid behind a bark and watched as a man surfaced from behind. He was heading for the woods, and his eyes were searching for something. They were looking for her!
Her hands tightened around the dagger that her brother had given to her. She pulled out of the covering and was about attacking the man, when she recognized him.
“Elan,” Lucy gritted her teeth. He had sent one of the guards to follow her.
Satisfied, that she wasn’t in any danger, Lucy hopped out of her hiding place and called the guard by name.
“Francis!”
The guard almost lost balance as he heard her sharp voice calling out to him. He thought he had lost track of the lady, when he hadn’t seen her or the horse. He feared for his life, as he remembered Elan’s threat.
“Milady!” Francis sighed.
“You were following me, for how long?” Lucy pointed her knife at him, as if she meant to stab him.
“The baron asked me to follow you. He was concerned about your safety. I was asked to keep a distance, but my horse is very fast.” The guard explained.
Lucy watched his eyes carefully.
“Are you alone?”
He nodded, “Yes.”
Lucy sighed and tucked back the blade in its sheath.
“Islington is close. You must return home. I do not want your protection. I will not treat Elan kindly for what he has done to me.”
“I cannot disobey the baron. He will have my head…”The guard trailed off. He wasn’t concerned with the misunderstanding between the baron and his sister. All he wanted was to keep her safe, and alive.
“I am not asking you to disobey him. Ride back to the castlette and tell him that I am safe!”
The guard stiffened at the thought of returning to Ox-Dale. He had to find a way to convince Lucy that she needed his help.
“The baron means well for you. He may be in danger as well. He preferred that you left first.”
Lucy’s heart raced when she heard this.
“I do not understand, is my brother in danger?”
“Aye. As I left the castlette, I saw a rider on a golden horse and a turban. His eyes flamed with anger. And he carried the sharpest blade that I have ever seen. We must ride for Islington before it is too late. The baron wants you to be safe.”
Unknown to him, this plan of his would backfire.
Lucy couldn’t believe her ears. So, Elan had been telling her the truth all this time? Truly, his life had been in danger.
“We must ride back to Ox-Dale. I would not run like a coward. I know my brother is not perfect. He has his flaws and weaknesses. But I will not allow anyone to harm him, not in my absence.”
Lucy loved her brother very much. They were alone in the world now. She’d rather die by Elan’s side, than away from him.
“We cannot…” The guard tried to argue.
“We can!” Lucy yelled in a loud voice.
When she was about to untie her horse, they both heard the hooves of a horse trampling on the silence of the night. Another rider was coming.
The duo exchanged glares, with Francis pulling out his sword. Lucy had no option but to take out her knife. The Woods harboured all sorts of criminals. They had to protect themselves.
Just in time, Aldrich Clairborne entered the Woods of Idralia. He had kept to the promise that he had made to himself. He had to see her again. He wanted to kiss her one last time, before she became another man’s darling.
He wasn’t afraid of the terrors of the dark. A man in love had no discretion, no consideration for safety. He was in love with Lucy Wesley.
As he neared the end of the Woods, he saw two figures awaiting him. From the silhouette, he could tell one was male and the other, female.
“I mean no harm, put down your weapons!” His stern voice reverberated through the Woods.
Lucy felt a chill run down her spine. Was she hallucinating? Was this a dream?
The commanding tone in the voice, reminded her of only one man; the Duke of her heart. Aldrich Clairborne
“Get off you horse!” Her guard fired back at Aldrich.
“I warn you my friends…” Aldrich caressed the hilt of his sword. He wasn’t a man, swift to violence. He was a man in love, heading for something important. He was impatient by the barrier, these two had created.
Lucy stiffened. He couldn’t recognize her because of the hooded cloak she wore.
“Get off your horse dammit!” Francis barked.
“Francis!” Lucy called with a sharp voice. And when he turned to look at her, she whispered.
“Put your sword down, he is a powerful man.”
Just in time, Aldrich jumped down from his sword and advanced towards them.
Angrily, he dragged the female figure by the shoulders and overpowered her. He pointed his sword against her belly.
“I came to see the woman that my heart beats for. You two will die first, before you stop me.”

“I do not like the games that you play, Beauregard. I do not want to be a part of this plan of yours.” Elan expressed his angst as they moved into the castlette. Though he hissed, and complained, Beau seemed unperturbed by his discomfort. He had come for one thing, and he wouldn’t leave without accomplishing it.
Now that it was certain that Aldrich would be married to Ariana, Beau had decided to shift the date for the planned assassination of his cousin.
“You write poems don’t you?” He faced the baron.
Elan snorted, “How does that concern you? Is this what brought you to Ox-Dale?”
Beau laughed. The baron was a smart man. He was mouthful too.
“I know what you poets term a ‘poetic justice or ending,’ and I intend to employ that to our plan for Aldrich.”
“Let us be clear about one thing, I have no plan to hurt the Duke. That is all of your idea. He has done nothing to me. Unlike you, I do not have a greedy spirit and I am not blinded by unrealistic ambition.”
Beau felt insulted by the baron’s words. But he was a patient man. He had waited all these years, for the right time to strike Aldrich, when he would have easily done that when they were younger.
“Do not insult me. If you do not have a greedy spirit, why do you gamble? Or have you forgotten the road to Morglay Street?”
The baron rose to his feet, “I am getting tired of your games and threats. Do not for a second think that I am a weakling.”
Beau joined him standing, “I never said so. I came to tell you that we will shift the date of the assassination to the eve of the Duke’s wedding to Lady Beldon. This will take the suspicion away from me and to the nobles of Wandsworth, who have always wanted the throne. That way, you will have enough time, to find an assassin.”
“I do not want to be a part of this, please,” Elan begged.
“This is a little sacrifice that you must pay for greatness. You should be thanking me for coming all the way from Wandsworth.” Beau sighed and ran his eyes over the small castle.
He decided to spend the night here. He would see Lucy before leaving.
“Where is your sister?” Beau asked, quickly switching the topic, so that Elan wouldn’t have the time to argue.
Elan gritted his teeth. He was quite certain that Lucy would be in Islington by now; where she far from danger.
“She is asleep.”
“Fine. I shall sleep here. I’ll see her at first light. And don’t even think of harming me in any way.” Beauregard waved a hand across Elan’s face. He was no fool. Elan wasn’t down with the idea of killing the Duke, but he had to threaten him to submission.
“What if you made a mistake by coming to Ox-Dale? Nobody knows that you sneaked out of your Dukedom.” Elan replied with mischief in his voice.
Beau smiled, knowing that Elan intended to make him afraid.
“I do not fear you. You are a failed baron. If you failed to protect your wealth and means, you will also fail at killing a man like me.” Beau walked closer and patted the baron on the shoulder
“I will make room for myself in your little throne room. I’ll see myself out in the morning.”
With this, Beau tightened his hands around the hilt of his sword and moved confidently towards the baron’s throne room.
Elan’s jaw tightened as he watched Beau live. Sadly for him, the bastard was right. He didn’t have it in him, to murder any man. But he had it in him, to take advantage of a situation that would favour him.
He was still indebted to the Duke. But he knew that Aldrich would forgive him and his debt, if he saved his life. Aldrich was a just man. Elan pulled in a deep breath and snapped his fingers.
His guards surrounded him at once.

1 Like

Re: Moonlight Kiss By Angelsss(historical Romance) by Angelsssss(f): 1:57pm On Aug 18, 2021
Days had passed since the Marquees ordered her daughter to be bounded by her guards. The woman felt remorseful and ashamed for what she had done before her servants. Ariana was her sweet and dear child. She was the pearl of Islington, yet she had treated her like a prisoner.
If Ariana had any love for her, it was set to be diminished after her wedding to Aldrich Clairborne. The woman felt alone in an enormous castle. All she had was a name and a castle of wine and food. She felt no love. She was possessed with power lust.
As she ran her fingers over the jar of wine, the Marquees realized how empty and unpleasing her life had been all these years. She had fallen in love once. She had known the sweetness and the delight that came with sharing every moment of your day with someone who cared. She had felt the ecstasy of stolen kisses. She had felt the thrill of sneaking out of the house, in the middle of the night. But her happiness was short lived. Like the girls of her class, she was married off to a man that she did not love.
Ariana’s father had done nothing to her; he had loved her genuinely, but she had resent him with a great passion. Their marriage had not been any fault of his. Like her, he was a prison of ancient rules and society. She imagined how unhappy her Ariana would be if this wedding between her and the Duke was finally done.
Unlike her, Ariana wasn’t that strong. She had taught herself to be strong at an early age; but Ariana wasn’t emotionally ready.
The Marquees abandoned the well embellished table of fruits and fine meals and decided to go see her daughter. As she marched determinedly towards Ariana’s room, greetings rolled from the tongue of her guards. She heard them, but like the Marquees of Islington that she was, she let the greetings fall to the Persian rug. All she wanted was her daughter.
The first thing that she noticed as she neared Ariana’s door was that there weren’t any guards. This troubled her.
The woman kicked the door open and marched in. To her greatest surprise, the bed where Ariana was supposed to be tied against was empty. And the chains that had bounded were sprawled on the ground.
“No…” The woman’s lips shivered as she noticed that the only window in her daughter’s room was empty. Tears rolled down her cheeks as she saw a paper and the family sygil on it.
She peeled the letter from the table and it read:
Dear Mother,
You have raised me all these years with love and utmost care. I thank you for it. However, our last days together were filled with your cruelty and lack of care and understanding for my feelings. What kind of mother, chains her own daughter like a dog? Dog had more honour than me while in your home.
I have fled to a better place. As you read this letter, I am with the man that I love. And we are both heading to France. Do not look for me. You will never find me, unless I have a change of heart and visit you.
If you have any love for me, you will deliver the second letter on the table to my best friend, Lucy Wesley. Tell her that I love her. And I wish her and the Duke happiness.
I didn’t mean to hurt or disrespect you, but I meant to be happy. Goodbye Mother.
Love, Ariana.

“No!!!!” The Marquees let out a powerful scream that attracted all her guards. She had missed her daughter because of her mistake. She was too focused on her personal gains and she had ignored Ariana’s pleas to be left alone.
The guards quickly rushed into the room.
“Milady, what happened?” The oldest of them spoke.
“You all betrayed me! You connived with my daughter! I shall have all your heads!” She cursed.
The men were quite surprised. Nobody had connived with Ariana.
“Milady, we do not have any idea of what you’re saying.” The guard spoke for the rest.
“I do not care! Ariana is gone! She has eloped.”
The Marquees fell to the ground and broke down to tears. First, she had lost her husband and now her daughter? Her sorrows never seemed to end. She couldn’t blame anyone in this case; she had pushed her child to the wall. And Ariana had reacted by slipping through her fingers.
It was an odd sight, seeing the Marquees cry. The servants all surrounded her and whispered words of comfort. But the more they consoled her, the louder that she cried.
Her heart would be broken for a long time. She could only pray for Ariana to have a change of mind, and return to Islington. But what sort of woman would abandon the man that she loved and return to the place where she had been captive?

As he placed the sword on the woman’s throat, he perceived a sweet and flowery scent that could only emanate from her. Aldrich’s stomach fluttered as he remembered the taste of Lady Lucy’s juicy mouth and the clean smell of her hair. Could she be the one? Why would she travel through the Woods of Idralia at night?
“Get your hands off the lady!” Her guard barked in a shaky voice.
Aldrich guffawed, “You seem afraid to me. I will do with her whatever I please…” He lowered his nose and sniffed Lucy’s hair.
Lucy’s body stiffened beneath his arms. She was no certain that the Duke of Wandsworth was the one behind her. Her lips trembled. And her face went white under the moonlight. How could she open up and tell him that she had been the woman he had kissed?
“Release her!” The guard staggered forward with the blade.
“Who are you two and where were you headed at such a time as this?” Aldrich whispered.
“I should be asking you that,” the guard replied.
Aldrich was enjoying this game. It will only delay his ride to Elan’s castlette. But he didn’t mind. He would teach these two a lesson for standing in his way of love.
“I see…” Aldrich released Lucy and tore the cloak that she wore with his blade. The garment slid off her shoulders and she was left standing in her undergarment before him.
The mass of her silky hair, tumbled down on her smooth body which was washed by the sunlight. He noticed that the guard had quickly turned his back, so he wouldn’t behold her naked body. His action was significant.
She wasn’t just any woman. She was nobility.
Aldrich’s throat went dry as he leaned forward. The night was a blessing and a curse. The moon was a deceiver and a prophet. She had deceived him at first, but had revealed Lucy’s true nature to him.
“My darling…” Aldrich’s lips trembled. He feared that he had hurt her with his blade.
Lucy blushed, but the darkness hid her shyness. No man had ever called her, “darling.” Her heart squirmed with joy. But sadness replaced it. The Duke would be married to her friend soon. What was the point?
“I am so sorry,” Aldrich fell to his knees and clung at her feet.
“I didn’t mean to hurt you. As a matter of fact, I was riding to Ox-Dale. I missed you darling. I wanted to see your face for the last time…” he trailed off, when he sensed that she wasn’t happy to see him. Was she so deep in love with her fiancé that she felt nothing for him?
Lucy couldn’t believe her ears. For a man to ride through Idralia, just to see her one more time before his wedding, meant a lot.
“Why did you come?” She asked him calmly.
“I heard you are engaged to a man. You both will marry soon. I hoped to see you one last time.” Aldrich replied with innocence.
Lucy stepped back. Was he joking?
“You never told me that you were engaged Lucy. Why did you allow me to kiss you? Why did you kiss me in return? You made me fall in love with you, now you are set to marry another?”
Lucy found his accusations surprising. First, she had enjoyed the kiss they had shared that night. Secondly, she wasn’t engaged. Where was he getting all these lies from?
“I don’t understand you, my Lord. You are the one that is set to marry my friend, Ariana. You were the one that tricked me into loving you. All that while, you had eyes on the Marquees daughter, but you still went ahead and seduced me under the moonlight.
That wasn’t enough for you, you sent your cousin to invite I and the baron for your wedding. He came, bearing gifts. Between you and me, you are the one that is unfair.”
Lucy was hurt that the Duke would accuse her of things that she didn’t know about.
“What are you talking about? What wedding?” Aldrich straightened to his feet. There was a little mix up.
“Do you ask me? Beauregard warned me to stay away from you! When my brother warned me, I never listened. I do not want you to come in between my friend and me.”
Aldrich scoffed, “I sent Beauregard to speak to you on my behalf. My intention for him was to convince you to love me. I do not wish to marry Lady Beldon. I do not love her. It is you that I have chosen to be my duchess. But you are engaged. Beauregard told me so.”
It was Lucy’s turn to be surprised. Obviously, somebody was lying here. And it was not her or the Duke.
“Could Beauregard have lied to me? What reason would he have to do that?” The Duke asked out loud.
All of a sudden, Lucy realized that she had an opportunity to rescue Elan, from whatever Beau had over his head. This was risky, because it could backfire. Two things were involved; the Duke could either believer her or not.
But she was willing to take that risk.
“I am not engaged. You are the first man that I have kissed,” Lucy confessed.
The thought of being the first man to arouse her innocence made him proud.
“Why would my cousin tell me that you are?” Aldrich wondered.
“Maybe he doesn’t want us to be together. He tried to flirt with me at the show.” Lucy started…
Aldrich couldn’t believe his ears.
“What?”
“Your cousin is a dishonourable man. He wants my brother to harm you, so he could take the throne. I know Elan didn’t want to give me details, but I am not a fool. Elan sensed that Beau could try to harm me, this was the reason he asked me to leave Ox-Dale.”
It seemed like a fairy tale to him. Beau that he trusted with his life had betrayed him. He now understood why Lucy was travelling at night.
“Lady Lucy is right. I saw Sir Beauregard, riding on a golden horse and a turban to the Baron’s. I do not like that man. He seems like a devil to me.” The guard chipped in, uninvited.
“What? How could you not tell me that the man on the golden horse was Beau?” Lucy cried.
It all made sense to him now. Aldrich understood why Beau had suddenly become nicer, early; he even addressed him as ‘Lord,’ in a rather sarcastic manner.
Beauregard was a traitor.
“I did not want to scare you.” Francis replied.
In all of these, the Duke wasn’t angered by the thought of Beauregard trying to get Elan to kill him. He was angered that Beau tried to ruin his chances with Lucy.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Story Of My Transformation - (a Werewolf Tale) By Marryjoanna / MY Sorrow(short Story) / Searching For Hope (you can now vote without registering)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 410
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.