Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,114 members, 7,811,133 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:42 AM

Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? (27890 Views)

Please Kindly Adopt My Daughter / I Did Not Authorize Anybody To Adopt My Son! Pls Help!! / How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by LilMissFavvy(f): 2:12pm On May 08, 2021
Nairaland alpha males will not like this grin, see them rambling and ......... grin......if the reverse was the case, they would expect the the lady to accept the child as hers.....such is life.

1 Like

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by xavuv: 2:12pm On May 08, 2021
God bless you
Richy4:
If you were in love with the mom... and the step son is gonna be living with you, who will he see as a father figure?...If you treat him the way you will be treating your own son, is there really a need for that?.....in my opinion that's enough....

OP, the question I have to ask you is this, If you have a baby mama somewhere and you heard that a man who intend to marry your baby mama was planning adopting your child, would you be happy? even if you were not present in the child's life... If your answer is no,

Then tell her that you cannot do that to a fellow man like you irrespective of their differences which was in the past...That if someone should do that to you, that you will not like it...Just assure her that whatever a father will do for a son to be successful, that you will do that for the boy.. that your word is your bond....I understand she wants to secure the future of the boy but it doesn't work that way.. You don't need going into any legal procedures...
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by drnoel: 2:13pm On May 08, 2021
wisewordd:
It's just annoying how these ladies paint men bad. You'll never see a girl that cheated on her ex, it's always the guys. That lady is a lier.

Ofcos women lie but so do men. Forget sentiments. The question was should he adopt the boy or not. I say if he is into her, he should adopt the boy ofcos after he has settled terms with the lady.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by wisewordd: 2:14pm On May 08, 2021
drnoel:

If he has been with the woman for 4 years and doesn't know by now the kind of person she is, why would U be the one to tell him? Learn to mind your business.
I guess you're the lady grin. Stop defending her. That thought of her is evil and shouldn't be accepted. OP you better run away from all of it or do your findings. A lady can live with a man for 20 years without him knowing anything about her.

1 Like

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by drnoel: 2:16pm On May 08, 2021
Richy4:
If you were in love with the mom... and the step son is gonna be living with you, who will he see as a father figure?...If you treat him the way you will be treating your own son, is there really a need for that?.....in my opinion that's enough....

OP, the question I have to ask you is this, If you have a baby mama somewhere and you heard that a man who intend to marry your baby mama was planning adopting your child, would you be happy? even if you were not present in the child's life... If your answer is no,

Then tell her that you cannot do that to a fellow man like you irrespective of their differences which was in the past...That if someone should do that to you, that you will not like it...Just assure her that whatever a father will do for a son to be successful, that you will do that for the boy.. that your word is your bond....I understand she wants to secure the future of the boy but it doesn't work that way.. You don't need going into any legal procedures...

This is sentiments. There are some countries you can't go to with another man's son hence the need to adopt the boy. I believe that's why the OP is asking the question. If the biological father is out of the picture and has been for a while. There is nothing against adopting the boy. Pls remove sentiments out of logic.

1 Like

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by wisewordd: 2:16pm On May 08, 2021
drnoel:

Ofcos women lie but so do men. Forget sentiments. The question was should he adopt the boy or not. I say if he is into her, he should adopt the boy ofcos after he has settled terms with the lady.
He'll need the dad's permission as long as he's alive. Again, she's evil. She'll do same to OP.

1 Like

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Rubbiish(m): 2:17pm On May 08, 2021
Ladyhippolyta88:

Do you actually think the boy is bearing the name of the irresponsible father when he didn't even marry the said lady in the first place.Nobody actually erased the father from the child's life the father did that by himself.I don't know why we give some people pass even when they are irresponsible the man is very aware he has a child somewhere but has abandoned the child for God knows who and will later come one day to come and reap the proceeds when the child is grown.God knows that if I were the child I will regard such a man as a mere sperm donor and not my father and will even reject his name this is not new as far as I am concerned.

It is a big decision nothing stops the OP from doing this but even if he doesn't he should try to be a father figure to the boy the child will grow up to appreciate and love him more than the sperm donor.
@bold nature stops op from doing it!
The biological father is still alive & without his consent to this arrangement, it is stealing!
He can be a father figure to that boy without stealing him! Forget the legal procedures, op is simply trying to steal someone's child!
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Itzlinda(f): 2:18pm On May 08, 2021
Akv666:
Good day guys,

So I've been dating a single Mom for almost 4years now and we're ready to tie the knot, but recently she came up with a suggestion of me adopting her son legally. Her baby daddy has actually been irresponsible right from start, nigga last saw his son when he was 4months old and he hasn't even bought ordinary diaper for the boy right from when he was delivered.

Now I'm being skeptical about taking him up legally, please i need advice from you guys, no insult please.

Her ex is still fucking her tho angry

2 Likes

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by drnoel: 2:18pm On May 08, 2021
wisewordd:
I guess you're the lady grin. Stop defending her. That thought of her is evil and shouldn't be accepted. OP you better run away from all of it or do your findings. A lady can live with a man for 20 years without him knowing anything about her.

Lol, sorry am not feminine. Am a guy but definitely more matured than you. You are a child, go look at my posts.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Rubbiish(m): 2:18pm On May 08, 2021
wisewordd:
He'll need the dad's permission as long as he's alive. Again, she's evil. She'll do same to OP.
Thank you!
cc Ladyhippolyta88
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by JONNYSPUTE(m): 2:18pm On May 08, 2021
drnoel:

If he has been with the woman for 4 years and doesn't know by now the kind of person she is, why would U be the one to tell him? Learn to mind your business.
....So you are also minding your business by telling him to adopt him without due consultation?
The op is hiding something. He doesn't want to tell us that he is In luv with a woman who doesn't even know the real father of her child.
What does it say about her?
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Born2winnx: 2:18pm On May 08, 2021
melodyogonna:

Am a fool. Sperm don't make a father

Your father is a fool.

Idoit
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by drnoel: 2:19pm On May 08, 2021
wisewordd:

Once he adopts the boy, he doesn't need the man's permission.

1 Like

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by shadeyinka(m): 2:20pm On May 08, 2021
Akv666:
Good day guys,

So I've been dating a single Mom for almost 4years now and we're ready to tie the knot, but recently she came up with a suggestion of me adopting her son legally. Her baby daddy has actually been irresponsible right from start, nigga last saw his son when he was 4months old and he hasn't even bought ordinary diaper for the boy right from when he was delivered.

Now I'm being skeptical about taking him up legally, please i need advice from you guys, no insult please.
Immediately after your wedding, call your lawyer and discuss adopting the boy and the future occurrence if the baby-daddy comes back!
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by drnoel: 2:21pm On May 08, 2021
JONNYSPUTE:
....So you are also minding your business by telling him to adopt him without due consultation?
The op is hiding something. He doesn't want to tell us that he is In luv with a woman who doesn't even know the real father of her child.
What does it say about her?

Still sentiments. Like I said, mind you business
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Arabiandude: 2:22pm On May 08, 2021
Romanoff:

No guy here will support you.

If you love the child enough to adopt him legally, seek legal counsel.

Only a lawyer can help you.

Adopting the child legally makes you his father and even puts you above his birth father and in a custody battle with the mother, if she's found unfit, you still get to keep the child.

But it's a decision you have to think hard and that's why I'm suggesting you get legal counsel.
Can he adopt the child without the child biological father consenting to it?

I go born, because maybe I am financially unable to cater for the child, one man will come from nowhere and adopt my child and automatically becomes my child father without my consent. All of una do well

Na kill I go kill both the man and the mother of my child
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by wisewordd: 2:22pm On May 08, 2021
drnoel:

Lol, sorry am not feminine. Am a guy but definitely more matured than you. You are a child, go look at my posts.
With what you're commenting here, it show you actually have no life experience with women or you're just trying to look good in the eyes of the forums females. Some 2years old have sense than some adults.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Shokoloko(f): 2:23pm On May 08, 2021
Sirmuel1:

Her family. Her Mom

Her mom may be dead, ill, not inclined to care for a baby at this stage in her life, living in one of her children's home, out of the country.

Its wrong to produce a child and try to push the responsibility of training that child on others.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by AfroKnight: 2:23pm On May 08, 2021
Moneyboyz:
My question is what if you break up with the child's mother in future?

Note that You will still be the child's father even if she hasn't given you a child yet.

I was looking for a comment like this.

Akv666, you should know that divorce doesn’t nullify the adoption.

1 Like

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by JONNYSPUTE(m): 2:24pm On May 08, 2021
drnoel:

Still sentiments. Like I said, mind you business
...You too. Mind your business. Stop deceiving him to steal someone's child.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Dinieoj(f): 2:25pm On May 08, 2021
Romanoff:

You sound so mature, most of the guys have not even finish dating their babes na to advice someone who wants to marry a single mom.

Adopting the child legally makes you his father and even puts you above his birth father and in a custody battle with the mother, if she's found unfit, you still get to keep the child.

But it's a decision you have to think hard and that's why I'm suggesting you get legal counsel.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Plut01: 2:25pm On May 08, 2021

Every boy that will successfully transform into a man must pass through a rebellious phase. This Son you want to adopt will also pass through this stage and it is on that stage he will remember he has a father somewhere no matter how nice you are and no matter how irresponsible his biological father is.

Experience is the best teacher and this I have in abundance. OP use your brain and make sure you set the boundary. Your kid first and others, second.

Just do the little you can to help the poor kid and always make sure you make him realize you're only doing it for humanity sake. Make things clear enough so as to prevent future headache.

But single mother Get in and tell us after three years how it feels like.

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by wisewordd: 2:26pm On May 08, 2021
drnoel:

Once he adopts the boy, he doesn't need the man's permission.
He can't adopt the boy in the first place except the mother claims the dad is dead which is pure evil.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by 1F30M4(f): 2:26pm On May 08, 2021
Akv666:
Good day guys,

so I've been dating a single Mom for almost 4years now and we're ready to tie the knot, but recently she came up with a suggestion of me adopting her son legally. Her baby daddy has actually been irresponsible right from start, nigga last saw his son when he was 4months old and he hasn't even bought ordinary diaper for the boy right from when he was delivered. now I'm being skeptical about taking him up legally, please i need advice from you guys, no insult please

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm let's see

I have a few questions, if you don't mind ofcourse..

Was your fiancèe ever married to her baby daddy orrr they were just casually dating? What really transpired between them, do you have the faintest idea? I'm assuming you've gone to see her parents/family, did they at any point mention it to you? Whose surname does the child bear? Was her baby daddy & his family present at the child's naming ceremony orrr have they in any way reached out to your fiancèe & her family concerning the child ever since he was born? What was/is her family stand on the issue about the baby daddy going MIA? Lastly, what does your gut feeling tell you?

Regardless, I dunno but the whole "suggestion" seems to come on strong, to me.. Perhaps there still linger some uncertainties else I do not think that should even come up at all, not at this point in time, not just from her.. I feel it's something you of your own accord, maybe after a while, after thinking deeply about it, after sleeping over it, after checking it through & through, you can then make moves to inform your inlaws of your decision to adopt the child.. This "mere" suggestion has somewhat put you under some kind of pressure, it shouldn't be so.. Referring back to question number 5, you should equally know what steps the baby daddy's family have taken concerning the child, what is their stand? It's her child I agree, she has been the one raising him with some help from her family yes but you do need to know everything from the onset, no information left out as that will help you make a logical decision

In as much as I'd suggest you seek legal counsel before making this critical decision, your fiancèe may deem it unnecessary, she'll get sentimental, her family too.. Assure them that you will love, care for & groom the child like your own and you will always make sure that the child is out of harm's way, give them your word and do well to follow through on it.. If they(she) can't take your word for what it is and offer some benefit of doubt, probably withdraw their(her) consent to the marriage just because you had a different view from theirs(hers) regarding legal adoption of the child, it won't be easy but if they do not want to be reasonable then it's on them, not you..

Wait a sec, y'all calling him names for being in a relationship with a single mother.. What is wrong with dating/marrying a single mother? Are they not human beings? What exactly is wrong with y'all? They should've aborted their pregnancies just to suit y'all narratives? I thought y'all are against abortion, so much for pro-life undecided Orrr they should've had their babies & abandoned them some place right? No? Oh yeah, y'all prefer to be kept in the dark; nahh my bad I forgot y'all keypad champions don't like people being real with y'all.. Everybody's just catching cruise on the internet but in reality, we know as e dey be lol cheesy
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by seyz91(m): 2:27pm On May 08, 2021
cheesy
Nonexistent1:
So with all you have been reading here, you still want to marry a single mother and adopt her child? Your simpism will soon pay off by the time it ends in premium tears.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by seyz91(m): 2:28pm On May 08, 2021
word

that last part got me thinking grin
Bornsinner7:
I'm a little bit confused if na man abi woman you be.. the he,she,her, him got me confused

Why does she want it that way?? There must be a reason.. she tryin to make you own the kid so that her baby papa would have nothing to do with the kid anymore..

Nothing wrong in adopting the kid but shine your eyes well.. it took Melinda gates 27years plotting her graph..
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Arabiandude: 2:29pm On May 08, 2021
Akv666:
Good day guys,

You want to adopt another man's child without the consent of the man? Just say you want to steal another man's child because your sperm is weak and you can't give birth to yours.

Do you know where the child's biological father has been?
Do you know if he has been somewhere hustling his heart out hoping that someday his hustling will pay and he will come and take care of his responsibility?
So just because you have a little money today, you intend to oppress another man with your money by stealing or adopting his child?

You are lucky that I am not the father of that child, whenever I comes back and finds out you have done what you are planning to do now, na kill I go kill you, the mother of the child and I will make sure I wipe away your linage from the surface of this earth

2 Likes

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by oglalasioux(m): 2:30pm On May 08, 2021
Romanoff:

The bolded is not true. In law biological relationship supercedes everything. He can only keep the child if the courts certify that the biological father is unfit to take custody.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by aalangel(f): 2:34pm On May 08, 2021
The suggestion shouldn't have come from her. It's absurd. The focus should be the marriage.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by fkj950ax(m): 2:35pm On May 08, 2021
pocohantas:

Th irresponsible man remains her child's father. She can get (sole) custody, but erasing the man’s name is WICKEDNESS.

My concern is the child. That child isn’t a property that she will keep transferring to any new man she is with. Before OP came along, the child had a name and it was fine.

They already have sole custody of the child, thanks to the irresponsible sperm donor- It should end there.

Legally adopting a child doesn't strip the biological parent of their rights. It only confers legal guardianship to you. And can only be done with the consent of both parents, or if one parent is deceased or a court has stripped one parent the legal guardianship to the child.
The issue of surname is entirely a personal issue. The courts or adoption process doesn't mandate that. Adoption is not about erasing name. They do not have sole custody because the father is not responsible for the child.
Just taking care of the child doesn't end there. There will be some kinks, hence adoption, an example is they can't take the child on holiday outside the country without the dad's consent.

1 Like

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Plut01: 2:36pm On May 08, 2021
shadeyinka:

Immediately after your wedding, call your lawyer and discuss adopting the boy and the future occurrence if the baby-daddy comes back!

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Heavance(m): 2:39pm On May 08, 2021
jawalis:
What manner of fuckery is this. Are you with your senses at all? What happens to all single ladies out there? Don’t you know you are been manipulated. Why must you adopt her child. You didn’t ask the child leave neither did you complain. And so what’s it with the sudden adoption? Use your head bro.
Damn. This nigga here is about to make one of the biggest mistake of his life. I wonder what you folks think after reading posts on social media about people who regret their action and those who wept bitterly and you are still eager to engage yourself in such act that put some in tears. Anyways it is your cup and you shall bear it alone. Your intuition should tell you she’s only trying to push the responsibilities of that child to you. Knowing fully well that she’ll later or sooner give you your own kids and you might not have time for her son and so she’s pushing it to you directly now as a smart lady and you are there seeking advice. Listen good; any idea that comes to you and you have a doubt over it to the extent of seeking a public advice isn’t good enough for you. You either take it or leave it. Nowadays; our women/ ladies knew men are waking up from and their manipulative schemes are been rendered useless as days passes. She knows well that you might not want to cater for that child once you have your own children and that breeds need to push him on you before it’s late. And by the time you have your own children; you won’t have no option than to take him as your responsibility. Wake up bro and say no to it. Tell her you’ll take care of the boy to your capacity. You are been led by your heart right now and it’s better you awaken your brain and let your brain do the thinking. Love will definitely fade. The love that covers your brain now will become faded after few years.
On behalf of association of readers, I am saying thank you.
Somebody here may want to fall into this category as well, how can we even frame this advice for every men out there?
This is not the western world o, no matter how we change our map, we cant live like the western people.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

The Unique Life Of Nigerian Children And Their Parents / Man Forced Into An Arranged Marriage At 24 Shares How He Ends The Marriage / I Stood Up To My Father

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.