Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,724 members, 7,816,977 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:57 PM

Sw: What Is Next? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sw: What Is Next? (9104 Views)

Buhari Appoints Technocrats From The SS,SE And Politicians From SW / CBN Confirms That SW APC Governors Are Leading Cause Of Recession / Video link: Yoruba People Disgrace APC In SW (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sw: What Is Next? by ektbear: 12:41am On Apr 28, 2011
BTW, there is already a major port under construction at this Olokola FTZ:
http://www.ondostate.gov.ng/olokola.pdf

So we'll have another port city other than Lagos.
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by olaolabiy: 12:43am On Apr 28, 2011
You can't touch that Bitumen deposit, either.

And, any rail project will fail/be economically unviable wIthout POWER.
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by zstranger: 12:43am On Apr 28, 2011
naijababe:

Exactly and IPP wont fly too. I swear we really need to ensure our reps work on the federalism aspect o

I doubt there would be much success in that regards.

Remember that ACN is still a minority party, and you can only do so much when you dont have the numbers.
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by seanet02: 12:43am On Apr 28, 2011
The state governments won't like taking over the Federal roads except their is a correspondent increase in their allocations, it might just be a drain on them. Collaborating together to build inter state roads will be a better option
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by Nobody: 12:44am On Apr 28, 2011
I'm not even sure we need to be developing our bitumen, the tons of gas sitting in Ondo is enough and dont forget offshore Lagos probably holds some promise. I think the petroluem play of the Jubilee field in Ghana may probably extend to Lagos.
If I'm honest, i dont want us to go the oil way, will make us lazy IMO
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by ektbear: 12:45am On Apr 28, 2011
seanet02:

The state governments won't like taking over the Federal roads except their is a correspondent increase in their allocations, it might just be a drain on them. Collaborating together to build inter state roads will be a better option

What if they take them over but are allowed to charge tolls? If they can do that, I'd love to see it happen. Toll and you can raise money to build roads that look like this:
http://www.treehugger.com/US-highway-80-infrastructure-photo.jpg
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by olaolabiy: 12:46am On Apr 28, 2011
ekt_bear:

They will be asked to relinquish control of it to FG.
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by Nobody: 12:48am On Apr 28, 2011
ekt_bear:

Was wound down by Yardie government, BG, the company at the helm of the project became frustrated that they are winding down and moving their staff out  cry
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by Katsumoto: 12:49am On Apr 28, 2011
ekt_bear:

What if they take them over but are allowed to charge tolls? If they can do that, I'd love to see it happen. Toll and you can raise money to build roads that look like this:
http://www.treehugger.com/US-highway-80-infrastructure-photo.jpg

FG will not relinquich control of those roads.
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by DisGuy: 12:50am On Apr 28, 2011
The FG will budge it will only take time, i dont think the FG will say no to foreign investment just becuase its coming to a certain region, all they need to do is PPP, the FG contribute the state government contribute and the private sector contribute, so everyone is always involved those in different percentages

The ACN is a minority party but sabotaging progress wont look good on jonathan's CV, the media will polongo his case to the whole world as an enemy of progress, tribalistic mehu mehu
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by ektbear: 12:50am On Apr 28, 2011
Power is a major issue of course. But that is kind of out of our hands, until Goodluck privatizes PHCN and liberalizes the tariff scheme (so that investing in power distribution is profitable.)

At that point, if the Ikeja/Eko/Ibadan/Benin discos are turned over to competent private hands, we'll have enough power.
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by Nadanbata: 12:50am On Apr 28, 2011
Katsumoto:

Correct Sir.
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by ektbear: 12:53am On Apr 28, 2011
Alright, fine. If the FG doesn't want to relinquish control of the roads, why not build new toll roads? For example, a toll road from Ibadan to Lagos? Land use act allows the state governments to acquire land for this purpose for free, yes?

So at least in theory, we could do a feasibility study and see if it is possible. Thoughts?
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by DisGuy: 12:54am On Apr 28, 2011
Katsumoto:

the Lagos=Ibadan road was concessioned*, 25 years i think to Bi-courtney

the local airport in lagos was concessioned* , Bicourtney

they were looking for ppp ofr the benin-ore road

the badagry road was ppp'd with Fg approval and im sure the metro rails in lahgos ogt FG approval too

why will they block foreign money?
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by olaolabiy: 12:55am On Apr 28, 2011
Dis Guy:

The FG will budge it will only take time, i dont think the FG will say no to foreign investment just becuase its coming to a certain region, all they need to do is PPP, the FG contribute the state government contribute and the private sector contribute, so everyone is always involved those in different percentages

The ACN is a minority party but sabotaging progress wont look good on jonathan's CV, the media will polongo his case to the whole world as an enemy of progress, tribalistic mehu mehu

Bulge? Nope!

Then, 36 states will have ports/PPP. Thus undermining the statutory obligations/oversight of FG.
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by Katsumoto: 12:55am On Apr 28, 2011
ola olabiy:

You can't touch that Bitumen deposit, either.

And, any rail project will fail/be economically unviable wIthout POWER.

It is time to work on true federalism so that each region can work on its own infrastructures. Otherwise, they won't be able to achieve much. Power, like you have correctly identified, is key and should certainly be the first priority together with transportation.
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by zstranger: 12:55am On Apr 28, 2011
ekt_bear:

Alright, fine. If the FG doesn't want to relinquish control of the roads, why not build new toll roads? For example, a[b] toll road from Ibadan to Lagos[/b]? Land use act allows the state governments to acquire land for this purpose for free, yes?

So at least in theory, we could do a feasibility study and see if it is possible. Thoughts?

Thats an interstate road. Who is going to assume primary responsibility?
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by ektbear: 12:55am On Apr 28, 2011
naijababe:

Was wound down by Yardie government, BG, the company at the helm of the project became frustrated that they are winding down and moving their staff out  cry

Depressing. Why? Wtf could be the reason? It didn't use any government money. . .
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by olaolabiy: 12:57am On Apr 28, 2011
Katsumoto:

It is time to work on[b] true federalism[/b] so that each region can work on its own infrastructures. Otherwise, they won't be able to achieve much. Power, like you have correctly identified, is key and should certainly be the first priority together with transportation.
That I think is the only option.
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by ektbear: 12:57am On Apr 28, 2011
zstranger:

Set it up as a corporation? Lagos-Ibadan Road Plc, and its major asset being that road? And give shares to the states involved? At least in theory, being interstate shouldn't be a problem, no? Just make it a private corporation but which states owning some portion of it.

Or is this unrealistic?
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by DisGuy: 12:58am On Apr 28, 2011
ola olabiy:

Bulge? Nope!

Then, 36 states will have ports/PPP. Thus undermining the statutory obligations/oversight of FG.

obviously they wont say yes to everything, it will under go scrutiny but the states will be strategically moving in the same direction

or what about all these.?

Dis Guy:

the badagry road was ppp'd with Fg approval and im sure the metro rails in lagos got FG approval too

Re: Sw: What Is Next? by zstranger: 12:58am On Apr 28, 2011
ola olabiy:

That I think is the only option.

Then it is not an option because, TBH, it aint happening, atleast not anytime soon.
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by Nobody: 12:58am On Apr 28, 2011
ekt_bear:

Depressing. Why? Wtf could be the reason? It didn't use any government money. . .

Politics! Yardie reversed all Obj's policies, Olokola was one of the casualties.
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by olaolabiy: 12:59am On Apr 28, 2011
zstranger:

Thank you. Ordinary LAUTECH saga, they fought like hell.
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by zstranger: 1:00am On Apr 28, 2011
ola olabiy:

Thank you. Ordinary LAUTECH, the fought like hell.

That was my point exactly!
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by Katsumoto: 1:00am On Apr 28, 2011
Dis Guy:

the badagry road was ppp'd with Fg approval and im sure the metro rails in lahgos ogt FG approval too

FG may concede certain infrastructure when there are alternatives. But if it concedes roads to state governments, how does it maintain reach to every corner, if state govts deny passage or refuse to maintain? Granting a concession to a private firm to maintain is not the same as relinquishing control.

zstranger:

Every state assumes responsibility for the stretch within its borders.
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by OAM4J: 1:00am On Apr 28, 2011
naijababe:

Best thing that can happen is the network. Just imagine how many people will voluntarily move to other states if they know they can travel to Lagos to work relatively easily

I for one will move to Ijebu -Ode in a jiffy

Why Ijebu Ode? if i may ask, I went to one of the finniest secondary schools in that town.
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by aljharem(m): 1:00am On Apr 28, 2011
ekt_bear:

[b]Set it up as a corporation? Lagos-Ibadan Road Plc, and its major asset being that road? [/b]And give shares to the states involved? At least in theory, being interstate shouldn't be a problem, no? Just make it a private corporation but which states owning some portion of it.

Or is this unrealistic?

bravo !!!

u are a smart man

if it is a cooporation then the state government can agure that it is not theirs

good intelligent point dapo
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by olaolabiy: 1:01am On Apr 28, 2011
zstranger:

Then it is not an option because, TBH, it aint happening, atleast not anytime soon.

You are right. No sitting president - northerner or southerner - would welcome the idea.
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by seanet02: 1:02am On Apr 28, 2011
Yeah tolling sounds nice but the North may see the taking over of Federal roads by as ploy towards self Governance and blocked it at the chambers? Except the roads are handed over to each region simultaneously i which the North mighty reject then we may have to set up a counterpart funding project to build new inter state roads that will will be tolled
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by Nobody: 1:02am On Apr 28, 2011
OAM4J:

Why Ijebu Ode? if i may ask, I went to one of the finniest secondary schools in that town.

Grams, Adeola or Luba?

I just love IJ, very peaceful and central to everywhere i normally go, lol
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by OAM4J: 1:03am On Apr 28, 2011
naijababe:

Grams, Adeola or Luba?

I just love IJ, very peaceful and central to everywhere i normally go, lol

OK. yeah its one of the 3. wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Invest $500,000 In Real Estate, Get US Green Card (no Other Qustions Asked) / N5m Bribe: Court Refuses Ajumogobia’s Application To Travel Abroad For Medicals / After Recapture Of Sambisa: Recession, Corruption Remain Out Challenges - Saraki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.