Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,453 members, 7,812,392 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:38 PM

Sw: What Is Next? - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sw: What Is Next? (9097 Views)

Buhari Appoints Technocrats From The SS,SE And Politicians From SW / CBN Confirms That SW APC Governors Are Leading Cause Of Recession / Video link: Yoruba People Disgrace APC In SW (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sw: What Is Next? by DisGuy: 12:35pm On Feb 01, 2012
edo.girl:

i'm not surprised the governments in ekiti, oyo, osun, and ogun have been slow off the mark. one factor comes to mind - certainly ekiti, and possibly osun are not the most viable states. during the 4-year term, govts in these states will end up patching a few roads, re-paint a few school & hospital buildings, and distribute imported used toyotas & nissans to their pre-election cheerleaders/thugs/iyalodes etc and make big pronouncements about poorly thought-out projects, and that's about it. if a govt pays over 80 p/cent of its revenue in salaries, what can it really do in terms of financing beneficial legacy projects? very little. on top of these problems, the previous pdp govts left the acn newcomers with massive debts. little surprise then that the acn govt are harmstrung & will spend their first couple of years trying to free themselves from the debt overhang. i suspect this is what the poster meant by consolidation. also, just as the governors heave a sigh of relief in year2 or 3, the next election will be round the corner. then come that time pdp will blame them for non-performance! how can they perform if you leave states finances in shreds when you were in govt? folks need to cut their expectations of these acn governors to realistic levels. the guy in edo has been able to perform slightly better becos of oil cash, i think. and he's been around longer than the others bar fashola.

to the T

plus the FG new year experiement
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by ektbear: 3:05am On Mar 19, 2012
The ACN has been a tremendous disappointment for me.

Looks like I'll have to lower my expectations dramatically of what will be done.

Very disheartening.
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by koruji(m): 3:49am On Mar 19, 2012
How are you measuring your level of satisfaction? That is really a key to whether you are legitimately disappointed.

There is always room for improvement, but from what I have seen in Osun State in terms of the direction and plans good things will come to that state soon - if the leadership follows through.

It takes time to start and get things running after years of mal-administration. In the case of Osun state, the former governor saddled the state with an N18 billion debt (and that is just one act), all of which he drew immediately, with the stated purpose of building 6 stadia across the state. THE STATE DOESN'T EVEN HAVE A NATIONALLY RECOGNIZED FOOTBALL TEAM!

Dealing with that debt was the first task for Aregbesola, and he successfully dealt with it. This is a tremendous achievement, but being one from the negative side it does not immediately translate into benefits for the people. The financial health of the state was however in jeopardy if Oyinlola had not being kicked out.

Following the previous poster, the spirit is willing but the body is weak. ACN politicians belong to a party with progressive ideas, which forms a basis for development. However they are not angels.

I repeat they are not angels - they must be watched, challenged, monitored, praised when deserved, and criticized as appropriate.

However, a blanket "ACN is a disappointment" is just the kind of statement the PDP bottom-feeders are scavenging for as tools to use in returning the SW to the clutches of the "devil".

ekt_bear: The ACN has been a tremendous disappointment for me.

Looks like I'll have to lower my expectations dramatically of what will be done.

Very disheartening.
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by strangerf: 3:57am On Mar 19, 2012
I saw it coming.

Abject under PDP, decieved by the pseudo-progressive ACN, will the real Yorubas stand up please . . .
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by Kilode1: 5:16pm On Apr 15, 2012
One year is enough to get a clear vision defined and start acting. So far, I'm not impressed at all.
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by ektbear: 5:20pm On Apr 15, 2012
same
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by Nobody: 5:26pm On Apr 15, 2012
Kilode?!:
One year is enough to get a clear vision defined and start acting. So far, I'm not impressed at all.

Not impressed?! Try utterly and completely disappointed. The chef man in Ogun State has done f/cuk all and the most painful part for me now is how the citizenry of Ijebu-Ode & its environs continue to suffer from the terrors of bandits, yet Mr Chef won't stop yapping about OGD angry
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by Afam4eva(m): 5:27pm On Apr 15, 2012
Reading through the first page of this thread makes me ROTFLMAO. Laugh wan kill me.

But seriously, i think the ACN governors have not lived uo to expectations. We thought by now, the regional integration should have taken off fully. I see no reason why by now we shouldn't be at the preliminary stage of having a modern rail line that covers the whole of the south-west. By now we should have an economic renaissance in the south-west but it seems the ACN folk where dream talking when they were making those pronouncements. if they don't do all these things now, they may never have the time to do it. This is the best as time as most of the states are ACN states. Tomorrow PDP might take over.
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by NegroNtns(m): 5:38pm On Apr 15, 2012
Kilode and Ekt,

You both are scoring performance metrices that were inappropriatelyf defined, or in some cases absent, going in.

To answer your question of "what is next" we need first to round up the gains and failures of the past and lock those in as the baseline. Then we create incremental or stepped up goals scaled into 5 yr plans and intended to improve the baselines in an upward direction.

Example:
past achievement - ACN swept out PDP from West.

We can record this achievement as a corporate agenda for Yorubaland politics. In the next 5yrs what do we intend to gain through this agenda? Is it to win power positions for individuals or to fast forward a collective Yoruba development; is it to spread ACN from regional to national politics or is it a substitute for the Federation? Whithout a clear goal it is hard to design the metrics for assessing performance and improvements. . . so accountability becomes difficult and the gain is channelled to selfish agendas.
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by Nobody: 5:49pm On Apr 15, 2012
Negro_Ntns: Kilode and Ekt,

You both are scoring performance metrices that were inappropriatelyf defined, or in some cases absent, going in.

To answer your question of "what is next" we need first to round up the gains and failures of the past and lock those in as the baseline. Then we create incremental or stepped up goals scaled into 5 yr plans and intended to improve the baselines in an upward direction.

Example:
past achievement - ACN swept out PDP from West.

We can record this achievement as a corporate agenda for Yorubaland politics. In the next 5yrs what do we intend to gain through this agenda? Is it to win power positions for individuals or to fast forward a collective Yoruba development; is it to spread ACN from regional to national politics or is it a substitute for the Federation? Whithout a clear goal it is hard to design the metrics for assessing performance and improvements. . . so accountability becomes difficult and the gain is channelled to selfish agendas.

You've lost me, you mean what we stand to gain wasn't defined at the beginning when they were clamouring for our votes? I thought the one thing that was clear was a collective development of the region under ACN - it doesn't get any clearer than that, unless I am missing something ?
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by Kilode1: 5:51pm On Apr 15, 2012
naijababe:

Not impressed?! Try utterly and completely disappointed. The chef man in Ogun State has done f/cuk all and the most painful part for me now is how the citizenry of Ijebu-Ode & its environs continue to suffer from the terrors of bandits, yet Mr Chef won't stop yapping about OGD angry

It's disappointing I know.

What's up with bandits and violence in Ijebu Ode? He needs to make more noise about that if the federally controlled police won't do their jobs. I know resources are kinda low, but this honeymoon period won't last, time to focus on the people, at the end of the day, all politics are local.

On integration: nice idea, but it's best to go ahead with those who are ready to start, If Mimiko is not ready, move on with those who are. Maybe results will convince him. His people are not blind now. Time for action jare.
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by NegroNtns(m): 5:53pm On Apr 15, 2012
If it was collective, . . . .then has it happened and if no when is it expected to? The last time I looked, Fashola was sinking more money into Lagos. Lagos is not the only Yoruba state or ACN controlled. What can we report today as a clear evidence of progression in Yorubaland since ACN took over?
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by Nobody: 6:02pm On Apr 15, 2012
Kilode?!:

It's disappointing I know.

What's up with bandits and violence in Ijebu Ode? He needs to make more noise about that if the federally controlled police won't do their jobs. I know resources are kinda low, but this honeymoon period won't last, time to focus on the people, at the end of the day, all politics are local.

On integration: nice idea, but it's best to go ahead with those who are ready to start, If Mimiko is not ready, move on with those who are. Maybe results will convince him. His people are not blind now. Time for action jare.

Bros, you don't even know the half of it. Robbers have been terrorising the citizens and banks in the Ijebu axis for over a year, things have gotten to head now that banks in Ijebu -Ode have refused to open for business for about a month now and all chef man does is make unnecessary noise

Negro_Ntns: If it was collective, . . . .then has it happened and if no when is it expected to? The last time I looked, Fashola was sinking more money into Lagos. Lagos is not the only Yoruba state or ACN controlled. What can we report today as a clear evidence of progression in Yorubaland since ACN took over?

Errr, try non!
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by Kilode1: 6:02pm On Apr 15, 2012
Negro_ntns,

There's a document out there on SW development with a major focus on integration to help effectively manage resources. It's great on paper. That is a plan. I now expect implementation. If it cannot be fully implemented they can amend it and push forward with whatever they can get consensus on.

And like naijababe said, campaign promises and manifestos were released when they asked for our votes, that was a plan. We now expect implementation.

I've not given up on them totally and I understand the structural problems we have, but people need to see some local results. Politics is too brutal for this kind of slow drag.
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by Kilode1: 6:14pm On Apr 15, 2012
@naijababe, that is sad. I think some self-help is needed in that axis. I'm wary of unregulated vigilantes, but OPC or some sort of local vigilantes are necessary at this stage. People's lives and properties are at stake.
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by Nobody: 6:19pm On Apr 15, 2012
Kilode?!:
@naijababe, that is sad. I think some self-help is needed in that axis. I'm wary of unregulated vigilantes, but OPC or some sort of local vigilantes are necessary at this stage. People's lives and properties are at stake.

The citizens depend on the local vigilantes but banks can't/won't use them, hence, the shut-down of banking ops. Wo, brother, the thing tire me abeg!
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by Kilode1: 6:36pm On Apr 15, 2012
Apologies for my off-topic comment.

strangerf: I saw it coming.

Abject under PDP, decieved by the pseudo-progressive ACN, will the real Yorubas stand up please . . .

Stranger, Your signature kinda describes a very interesting concept in international relations and military studies, called MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction) based on the theory of "detterence" albeit on a micro level.

MAD is concerned with weapons of mass destruction like the Nuclear bomb. But handguns can fit in too, if we all carry guns it might cause a potential attacker to think thrice before approaching.

I think many people will die on the lower side of the learning curve though, that is before the reality kicks in. embarassed grin
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by NegroNtns(m): 9:33pm On Apr 15, 2012
There's a document out there on SW development with a major focus on integration to help effectively manage resources. It's great on paper. That is a plan. I now expect implementation. If it cannot be fully implemented they can amend it and push forward with whatever they can get consensus on.

And like naijababe said, campaign promises and manifestos were released when they asked for our votes, that was a plan. We now expect implementation.

I am aware of the push to integrate but;

1. twelve months from now when we look back how would we know that implementation was successful and who would be accountable for their success?

2. campaign promises and manifestos are not acceptable plans. . . .unless someone has committed to loose their job if the promises are not delivered in the set timeline. If the committment is not there, then accountability is loose and transferable which makes it highly likely that we are pouring water into baskets again.
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by Kilode1: 7:55pm On Apr 20, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

I am aware of the push to integrate but;

1. twelve months from now when we look back how would we know that implementation was successful and who would be accountable for their success?

2. campaign promises and manifestos are not acceptable plans. . . .unless someone has committed to loose their job if the promises are not delivered in the set timeline. If the committment is not there, then accountability is loose and transferable which makes it highly likely that we are pouring water into baskets again.

You are right about these two points. It is difficult to demand accountability or even access it when we have not properly benchmarked our goals and expectations.

Ideally though, campaign promises should have been enough if we exist in a system where the electorate is the final judge and employer. But still, I personally will hold ACN responsible for what they have promised me and my people. I'll make sure those I have influence over do the same.
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by nduchucks: 11:03pm On Apr 20, 2012
Kilode?!:
Negro_ntns,

Hmmm, Aregbesola has talked about these items as part of the plan for regional integration of the SW

(1)He is calling for "Regional Integration" where all of the south west act as a single political and economic entity.

(2)He wants all state governments in the SW to adopt his plan for regional integration and establish Ministries for Regional Integration.

(3)In this new integrated SW, Lagos will be the economic nerve center.

This plan is apparently itemized in his so-called green book, a document which some say is patterned after Ghaddafi's Green Book.

Why is this document a secret document? If someone has the document, lets have a link to it. What kind of leaders will have a grand plan that is a secret to its constituents? SMH

The fact that this document is a 'secret' enables critics to claim that it is part of a plan to Islamize the SW since a majority of the SW governors including Tinubu are muslims.
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by Katsumoto: 11:35pm On Apr 20, 2012
ndu_chucks:

Hmmm, Aregbesola has talked about these items as part of the plan for regional integration of the SW

(1)He is calling for "Regional Integration" where all of the south west act as a single political and economic entity.

(2)He wants all state governments in the SW to adopt his plan for regional integration and establish Ministries for Regional Integration.

This plan is apparently itemized in his so-called green book, a document which some say is patterned after Ghaddafi's Green Book.

Why is this document a secret document? If someone has the document, lets have a link to it. What kind of leaders will have a grand plan that is a secret to its constituents? SMH

The fact that this document is a 'secret' enables critics to claim that it is part of a plan to Islamize the SW since a majority of the SW governors including Tinubu are muslims.

How does the fact that the book is secret translate into an Islamic agenda? Only mischief makers will try to link the Homer's iliad to Al qaeda (yes, they are completely unrelated). In military and business strategy, leaders sometimes decide not to share their strategy because doing so may affect its successful implementation. Implementation of strategy is just as important as strategy formulation.

Those who are not stakeholders have no need to read the book, they just need to witness as it is implemented.
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by Kilode1: 11:48pm On Apr 20, 2012
ndu_chucks:

Haba! Alhaji Chukwuma, You don't have to do this. Ti e ba fe ka'we e lanu e soro.

You don't have to concoct tales and conspiracy theories just because you want the document. Ask nicely.

The plan for an all-encompassing SW regional development is not a secret and you know that. Many stakeholders have expressed this in the press, they've even called press conferences and public conventions. Even SS people already planned theirs. It's not an Aregbesola plan, he's not the only one in SW leadership and far as I know.

E de se suru.
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by Olaone1: 11:56pm On Apr 20, 2012
I warned you guys when you all chose to be chirpy on this thread.

Now, the governors have done sod all.
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by strangerf: 12:03am On Apr 21, 2012
Katsumoto:

How does the fact that the book is secret translate into an Islamic agenda?

If they are not willing to tell us what the book contains, aren't we free to ascribe whatever to the content of the book?

Only mischief makers will try to link the Homer's iliad to Al qaeda (yes, they are completely unrelated).

The Iliad By Homer Written 800 B.C.E, al-Qaeda ( a global militant Islamist organization) founded by Osama bin Laden sometime in August 1988 and Aregbesola, a degenerate, thoughtless, low-class, incoherent, HND graduate of Ibadan Poly . . . in the same context? Only Katsumoto can pull this off.

In military and business strategy, leaders sometimes decide not to share their strategy because doing so may affect its successful implementation. Implementation of strategy is just as important as strategy formulation.

I guess this line is relevant because business leaders and military strategists, like ELECTED State Governors, are accountable to their electorate. Here I am thinking Wall Street CEOs are only accountable to their share-holders & bottomline . . . Hmmmm, learning new stuff everyday. Long live Katsumoto. Long Live the smartest NL'er.

Those who are not stakeholders have no need to read the book, they just need to witness as it is implemented.

You are right, the people that voted him in arent stake-holders and they have no need to read the so called "terrorist manifesto." WHat the heck, some of them cant even read anyway. They are just there to vote , sit back and watch Aregbesola and the other all-knowing gods of SW plunge their states into debt and chaos secondary to thoughtless planning & irresponsible fiscal policy.

SW integration plan ko, Swiss accounts consolidation plan ni
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by strangerf: 12:12am On Apr 21, 2012

Haba! Alhaji Chukwuma, You don't have to do this. Ti e ba fe ka'we e lanu e soro.

You don't have to concoct tales and conspiracy theories just because you want the document. Ask nicely.

The plan for an all-encompassing SW regional development is not a secret and you know that. Many stakeholders have expressed this in the press, they've even called press conferences and public conventions. Even SS people already planned theirs. It's not an Aregbesola plan, he's not the only one in SW leadership and far as I know.

E de se suru.

I knew you'd post something that would somehow be in agreement with Katsumoto's post. Its about time you and the other folks here on NL stopped guzzling the once venerable but now discredited Katsumoto kool aid.

Let them publish their so called plan if they are not hiding anything. Is that too much to ask for in a democracy?
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by Olaone1: 12:23am On Apr 21, 2012
Stranger, o ti to ki ija yii pelu Katsumoto pari oo.

Please and please
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by OAM4J: 12:41am On Apr 21, 2012
While I disagree that the 'secret' plan has any hidden agenda to Islamize SW because I know they are not that dumb to think that will fly even with the uneducated among S.westerners, I agree we need to know whatever is in the agenda/plan. The what, the when, the how the plans will materialize. Only then we can hold then accountable, understand their challenges if any and consider them a failure or success.

One of my grouse with the Federal are their promises without action plans that never see the light of the day, and I will hate to see that in SW. If their agenda/plan is watertight, they need not be afraid of public criticisms, that should only strengthen their will to succeed if they know what they are doing.
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by strangerf: 12:49am On Apr 21, 2012
^^^^

Someone with brains. Thank you jare. In advanced democracies, there are no invisible hands. No black boxes and no wuruwuru. Whatever you wantto do, WE THE PEOPLE NEED TO KNOW. We are all stake holders. If we dont like the plan, we should recall them. NO, to all secret plans!
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by Katsumoto: 1:00am On Apr 21, 2012
OAM4J: While I disagree that the 'secret' plan has any hidden agenda to Islamize SW because I know they are not that dumb to think that will fly even with the uneducated among S.westerners, I agree we need to know whatever is in the agenda/plan. The what, the when, the how the plans will materialize. Only then we can hold then accountable, understand their challenges if any and consider them a failure or success.

One of my grouse with the Federal are their promises without action plans that never see the light of the day, and I will hate to see that in SW. If their agenda/plan is watertight, they need not be afraid of public criticisms, that should only strengthen their will to succeed if they know what they are doing.

It may not be criticisms that is preventing them sharing the plan. It may be to prevent enemies from acting against the plan to protect their own self-serving interests. It may even be that they haven't finished finalizing the plan; in which case, you can accuse them of acting too slowly.

I am not holding brief for them; just highlighting that there may be other reasons for this.
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by OAM4J: 1:22am On Apr 21, 2012
Ko si igba ti maku o ni ku, Sooner or letter they have to let everyone including the enemies know what is going on. Am not impress with their speed at all.

And to be honest am not also seeing enough signals that they are even laying a good foundation for a progressive future apart from Osun's plan to invest heavily in agriculture. The other day I read that Ekiti is planning to raise over N20B bond to build a liaison office and other not so important things IMO. What is Oyo doing? What is Ogun doing apart from talking about OGD? These are my concerns.

The expectations are high, and they are better not let the people down. A lot of the people that voted for them voted with the mindset of "let's see what they can do". They will be making a serious mistake if they think SW is fully ACN stronghold like it was under Awolowo UPN, and thinking they have all the time and they can do whatever they like.
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by strangerf: 1:22am On Apr 21, 2012
Katsumoto:

It may not be criticisms that is preventing them sharing the plan. It may be to prevent enemies from acting against the plan to protect their own self-serving interests. It may even be that they haven't finished finalizing the plan; in which case, you can accuse them of acting too slowly.

Like how the GOP is fighting Obamacare? So the 26 states fighting Obamacare are the enemies of Obama and his plans? I guess to you the GOP is fighting Obamacare because they are Obama's enemy, not because Obamacare is unconstitutional and fiscally irresponsible?

Bravo Katsumoto!
Bravo!!!
Bravo!!!!!!!!!!!

You've obviously out-done yourself with respect to your smartness. You really cant make this shyt up

PS: Hey Bro. Katsumoto, When you mentioned enemies, were you referring to witches and witchcrafts? Yeah, they can be a pain in the a/s/s. Those witches like the ones in Koto Orun? Those witches Kola Olawuyi spent a great deal of his time exposing? They sure can derail plans, especially whne it comes to complex and complicated plans like the one we are talking about. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Sw: What Is Next? by strangerf: 1:28am On Apr 21, 2012
OAM4J: Ko si igba ti maku o ni ku, Sooner or letter they have to let everyone including the enemies know what is going on. Am not impress with their speed at all.

Who are the enemies? Ask our Mr. Olopolo-ode

When did constructive criticism from opposition parties become something to be feared? I thought Opposition parties aim to: contribute to the creation of policy and legislation through constructive criticism, No? They are NO enemies.

If you are sure of your plan, publish it and expose it. After all, it still has to go through the house. Hope they are not planning to SECRETLY pass it through the house.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

APC Will Fight Corruption, Waste – Tinubu / FOI Not Binding On States- Lagos Govt / Court Orders INEC To Register Young Democratic Party

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.