Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,614 members, 7,955,257 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 08:50 PM

Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming (13787 Views)

I Gave Up On Programming. I'm Tired Of Programming. I Need To Rest. / Quit School To Focus On Programming, Hopefully It Will End In Joy / He’s 19, Once Dropped Out Of College, Now A Startup Founder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by Toosure70: 5:38pm On May 27, 2021
romeo411:
Please continue your education, it will help you when the chips are down. Life is not all about programming as we are seeing it now.
because he find himself in a wrong country
Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by Nobody: 5:38pm On May 27, 2021
Do we still have worthwhile colleges in Nigeria? I doubt.
Dropped outta UNN since 2017 and got into IT full-time.
Today I'm 2wice as tall.

5 Likes

Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by Luigi03(m): 5:39pm On May 27, 2021
Don't drop oo. Don't let your village people beat you in away match my guy

3 Likes

Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by Koryc: 5:39pm On May 27, 2021
You can run your programming without dropping out.

1 Like

Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by ThePlugg(m): 5:40pm On May 27, 2021
do what you want...it's a free world

Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by Nobody: 5:41pm On May 27, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
Dont even try it. Continue your studies and start your programming in the university.

Is it easy to manage Personal interests and Academics in Nigeria? I doubt.
If you really know how stressful schooling in tertiary institutions here is like, you'd understand my point.

2 Likes

Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by Icon2007: 5:41pm On May 27, 2021
if you are getting a good grade, that alone should motivate you to finish it up. Life is not easy out there for a graduate talk less of a drop out and in some terrain they want to know your profile first before meeting you in person. Imagine what your c.v would like if you drop out.
if you are sound you can do both effortlessly and excel in both.

1 Like

Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by KingZaddy(m): 5:42pm On May 27, 2021
MajorOvakporaye:
I use this medium to say Happy Children's Day to all Nairalanders still living with their parents!!! cheesy
If you like live in Mars away from your parents, you are still a child of somebody...

Happy children's day everyone

3 Likes

Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by Devilpen(m): 5:42pm On May 27, 2021
Drop out if e sure for you o. If you know you don't have the mental stability to deal with it when life really show you it's face, just finish school.

Cause times will come and you'll regret dropping out.
But if you have sense and passion, well suit yaself.

It got to a time, I was carrying the whole of the university on my head in my 300L, I just leave school for them and focused on my 2d and 3d animation and comic making, plus full time novelist.
My best decision so far.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by captainamiedi1: 5:42pm On May 27, 2021
i advice not to drop rather switch to something related since u are in year 2. try and do both. try and balance it both. that certificate might just be ur escape route out of Nigeria.

I understand how u feel, but just hold on

1 Like

Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by Nobody: 5:43pm On May 27, 2021
Xscape1993:
After your study you can equally go for your programing dear. Sound education is not a waste of time my dear.

Really? Can any Tertiary institution in Nigeria give you Sound Education?
The type of Edu that would place you above the petty rat races in the Oversaturated Labour market? Is there?
Don't sound like a joke please.
Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by ehis05(m): 5:43pm On May 27, 2021
Don't make that decision. I also had to finish school before taking programming serious, its very difficult to combine both but make sure u finish school first, it is better to have a certificate and dont need it, than not having it and eventually needing it

5 Likes

Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by Nobody: 5:43pm On May 27, 2021
Discord:
Hi Nairalanders, kindly need your advice, please.

I am currently in my second year studying a five years course in a federal university, I have no interest in what
I am studying, I got good grades tho. Just doing it because that is what my parents want me to do. I have no passion for it,
oftentimes I feel I am just wasting my time in school.

I love programming and would love to drop out of uni to focus on it and give my all to it. Seeing a lot of graduates
living from hand to mouth, struggling to earn a living is truly not encouraging.

Naija no be US. Please, complete your studies. Do not ever pull Bill Gates and Mark's Zucberberg's stunt here. Do not try it ooo.

2 Likes

Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by Seun(m): 5:43pm On May 27, 2021
In general, you should not do it.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by dometome: 5:44pm On May 27, 2021
Do it bro. You won't regret. The most important thing is your portfolio, not your degree.
Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by hustla(m): 5:44pm On May 27, 2021
Discord:

I am currently in my second year studying a five years course in a federal university, I have no interest in what
I am studying, I got good grades tho. Just doing it because that is what my parents want me to do. I have no passion for it,

I love programming and would love to drop out of uni to focus on it and give my all to it. Seeing a lot of graduates
living from hand to mouth, struggling to earn a living is truly not encouraging.

Big mistake

FInish first and then do your programming

Even andela go ask for bsc

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by 1x2x3: 5:44pm On May 27, 2021
School doesn't guarantee any shiit, dropping out guarantees nothing. Only your determination and hustling spirit will make you succeed whether you complete sch or drop out.
Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by Integrafamoo: 5:46pm On May 27, 2021
Discord:

Manage to finish it, no one can tell. Also concentrate on the programming
Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by Ganbite: 5:46pm On May 27, 2021
Discord:

There is nothing bad my dear because even Bill Gate and Zuckerberg were both school drop out and it's almost the same line of operation as yours..

You can continue your studies when u finally made it

only the wise will understand this suggestion very well

1 Like

Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by salford1: 5:46pm On May 27, 2021
Don't.
You can still have your BSc or diploma. You never know when it might become useful.
Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by TheSociopath(m): 5:47pm On May 27, 2021
Discord:

You better don't drop out. Some companies won't accept you if you don't have a degree even if you're the best coder in the whole world

6 Likes

Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by 11Anonymous(m): 5:48pm On May 27, 2021
School dey give person one kind sense, if you drop out you no go fit get the sense.

You can do both. Do it 100% during holidays and 20% on school sessions. Cox that school go knack you if you give am 50%. Before you grad.. you go don good to a reasonable extent; then just a little push, you don be master.

3 Likes

Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by selfemployed(m): 5:48pm On May 27, 2021
Discord:

Better complete your studies.

Don't make a decision you'll regret in the future.

School will not stop you from becoming a programmer. visit udemy.com. download the tutorials and learn at your pace

4 Likes

Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by 11Anonymous(m): 5:49pm On May 27, 2021
School dey give person one kind sense, if you drop out you no go fit get the sense.

You can do both. Do it 100% during holidays and 20% on school sessions. Cox that school go knack you if you give am 50%. Before you grad.. you go don good to a reasonable extent; then just a little push, you don be master.
Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by Chuukwudi(m): 5:52pm On May 27, 2021
Discord:

You didn't say what course you're studying. If you want to drop out to get into courses like Computer Science, math, statistics, information technology, etc... I will suggest that you rewrite jamb(while in your current course) and get into those courses and continue.

Never drop out.

I am a programmer too... I wish to study further. It's the Linear Algebra, calculus, statistics, etc I learnt from FUTO that has helped me in my journey as a programmer. Currently, I am running a masters program in AI and I am even looking for a PhD funding as well. Education will open doors for you. Do not leave it.

Change course instead.

7 Likes

Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by VlamesIffect(f): 5:54pm On May 27, 2021
You don go read mark Zuckerberg or steve jobs story abi they think say na Yankee you dey.

Omo na Naija you dey no go gok am.

Se you even get who go sponsor you now.

Better focus on your studies then do programming by the side, a word is enough for the wise.

Feel that rhymes, yeah i dey talk my mind i no dey minimize.

2 Likes

Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by dami2boi(m): 5:55pm On May 27, 2021
MajorOvakporaye:
I use this medium to say Happy Children's Day to all Nairalanders still living with their parents!!! cheesy

Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by dhtml6(m): 5:57pm On May 27, 2021
DONT DO IT, YOU WILL REGRET IT. I faced such a Choice, and I made sure I graduated, it was not easy but it was worth it at the end of the day.

3 Likes

Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by peacettw: 5:58pm On May 27, 2021
Everyone is suddenly interested in programming which is good no doubt.

But putting all your eggs in a basket is simply not smart.

I will advice you to strive for both... Others have done it and successfully too

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by kunkelhanspeter(m): 6:00pm On May 27, 2021
Just to remind you not all programmers have good job because IT firm I do my NYSC they are paying 70k in a month. In Port Harcourt they do below 70k

1 Like

Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by pass111(m): 6:00pm On May 27, 2021
Don't drop out man... Just try and combine both. I had friends who did both, and later focused solely on tech after graduation. I personally didn't take my programming seriously during my undergraduate studies(I leened towards graduating with good grades, which i did), not until after graduation did I take coding seriously, I regret it though. So, man, if you can, and I believe you can, take both seriously. You'll be glad you did in the long run.

1 Like

Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by chachanga: 6:02pm On May 27, 2021
Don't drop out. I take it you're in Nigeria.
Dropping out anywhere's got its baggages but doing it in Naija is bound to take a heavier toll on you. It's a much harsher environment to try drop out without your peeps consent and bills to pay.

Take a project-oriented approach. Face your core programming and grow in it but try studying your environment and building robust but nifty solutions in response to societal needs around you. Some of these could get you known, fetch you good cheese to upgrade your workstation, engage better research etc.

Outsource your skills and stretch yourself to deliver. That's building your capacity to multitask. You'll need to lean on that more and more as time advances.

Scout around your campus and get programming geeks like you. Build your team with your own rules of engagement but don't be an a$$ about it. Let love for programming be your baseline requirement and aspire to do bigger things.

Lastly, be open to good options and LIVE. You're still young.

Go with God, young Padawan!

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Programming Is just Like Playing Football / Keywords / Reserved word In Q-BASIC / Wht Is CSS Very Complicating...!!!!!!!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.