Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,694 members, 7,955,625 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 11:06 AM

Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming (13788 Views)

I Gave Up On Programming. I'm Tired Of Programming. I Need To Rest. / Quit School To Focus On Programming, Hopefully It Will End In Joy / He’s 19, Once Dropped Out Of College, Now A Startup Founder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by tunary(m): 6:03pm On May 27, 2021
Discord:
Hi Nairalanders, kindly need your advice, please.

I am currently in my second year studying a five years course in a federal university, I have no interest in what
I am studying, I got good grades tho. Just doing it because that is what my parents want me to do. I have no passion for it,
oftentimes I feel I am just wasting my time in school. Combine both together. Don't drop out just like that because you MIGHT regret it. Nigeria is not a country to rely on one way to success. If it was in an advance country It would have been better

I love programming and would love to drop out of uni to focus on it and give my all to it. Seeing a lot of graduates
living from hand to mouth, struggling to earn a living is truly not encouraging.

Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by ArticleBeast: 6:06pm On May 27, 2021
KingZaddy:

If you love your life and future drop out and chase your passion now...

School was not designed to make you a boss but to advance slavery....

The best thing that can happen to a man is to pursue a career that equalizes with his passion... In that way you will never regret and you will never have to work ever because you will never feel like you are working but you will always get the feeling that you are being paid to have fun...

The smartest people from schools end up as employees who make more money for billionaires, many billionaires didn't go to university because they had a plan bigger than wasting 5 years in a 1800s classroom setting
How many Billionaires in Nigeria didn’t go to school? This is not US

5 Likes

Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by MrJavaS: 6:09pm On May 27, 2021
Don't drop out bro.
That it worked for mark zuck and seun osewa doesn't mean it'll work for you.
Circumstances never repeat themselves exactly.

Code during the holidays and focus on getting good grades during semesters.
Only a fool puts all his eggs in one basket

1 Like

Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:09pm On May 27, 2021
MrJavaS:
Don't drop out bro.
That it worked for mark zuck and seun osewa doesn't mean it'll work for you.
Circumstances never repeat themselves exactly.

Code during the holidays and focus on getting good grades during semesters.
Only a fool puts all his eggs in one basket
Without even a degree getting a job as a programmer is very tough. Just because a few people did it doesn't make it a general rule.

5 Likes

Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by tunary(m): 6:12pm On May 27, 2021
ArticleBeast:

Exactly my point. Nigeria is a dream killer

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by MrJavaS: 6:13pm On May 27, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Without even a degree getting a job as a programmer is very tough. Just because a few people did it doesn't make it a general rule.

What worked for MR A may not necessarily work for MR B
Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by Quossom: 6:14pm On May 27, 2021
Does a degree or a cerificate confer on you knowledge? A certificate is a mere validation that you know something on paper. In the programming world what is important is your skill. Are you highly skilled with X+ years of experience in coding? and can you demonstrate your art by incorporating logic with good problem solving skills.

Steve Jobs said $Everyone should learn how to code because it teaches you how to think.

Elon musk said {We're hiring python programmers, you don't need to have a degree. Your high school diploma is enough as long as you pass the rigorous skill testing process and screening.

It's up to you if you want to drop out. Just make sure you do your research very well. Life comes at you very quickly and all your actions will have consequences(good or bad).

Eleanor Roosevelt said #In everything a well defined end is the secret to durable success.

You might not know where you are going but never give up, start slow but never give up. Some days will be dark but never give up.

And finally THE TRUTH IS EASILY DISCERNABLE, i think you are that med lab guy that posted something similar before.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by elbulk(m): 6:14pm On May 27, 2021
Discord:

I am currently in my second year studying a five years course in a federal university, I have no interest in what
I am studying, I got good grades tho. Just doing it because that is what my parents want me to do. I have no passion for it,
oftentimes I feel I am just wasting my time in school.

I love programming and would love to drop out of uni to focus on it and give my all to it. Seeing a lot of graduates
living from hand to mouth, struggling to earn a living is truly not encouraging.

You better finish school. Maybe you could transfer to IT/Computer Science. That you can program doesn't mean you will hit gold

1 Like

Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by shegzhkn: 6:14pm On May 27, 2021
ArticleBeast:

How Many of Nigerian billionaire would not be flipping Burger in a gas station if they were US National with their so called 'prowess' that made them billionaire ??.

1 Like

Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by Quossom: 6:19pm On May 27, 2021
Why is everybody say Mark Zuckerberg dropped out Mark has two degrees, Major in psychology and minor in computer science.

Elon musk has two degrees in Economics and Physics.

It's only Bill gates i know who dropped out, Bill is a MAD GENIUS.

People just spread false misconceptions without finding truth.

5 Likes

Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by Muyoatlanta(m): 6:20pm On May 27, 2021
I'm working as a BI Developer in America. I have a 3rd class Bsc in international relations from OAU. While most tech jobs don't require a certification, they require BSc. It shows you're teachable! Try and finish what you started. You will be better for it.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:21pm On May 27, 2021
Muyoatlanta:
I'm working as a BI Developer in America. I have a 3rd class Bsc in international relations from OAU. While most tech jobs don't require a certification, they require BSc. It shows you're teachable! Try and finish what you started. You will be better for it.
You can't even get a work visa to another country as a programmer no matter how good you are without a degree. A degree is very important no matter the grades.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by somto811(m): 6:22pm On May 27, 2021
I'm learning programming but i'm in the uni studying fisheries and aquaculture technology..so if you would wanna drop out, i feel sorry for you!

5 Likes

Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by ceede2: 6:26pm On May 27, 2021
Discord:

....if you are struggling with your spirit against anything you do bro is a wasting of time. Sit your parents down invite someone who they can listing to, table the matter, anyway check my rule 2.
Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by abayimi567: 6:31pm On May 27, 2021
My brother try finishing ur education first nothing is a waste bro
Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by dhtml6(m): 6:33pm On May 27, 2021
That was how I entered medical school and wanted to quit because of programming ---- fast forward, today I am a programmer with an MBBS certificate.
The fact that I graduated from medical school and still am an expert programmer was a double-plus, it shows employers that I am very brilliant.
I am not going to start talking about my successes, but I am doing pretty fine. And I am happy that I listened to those that adviced me not to drop out then.

6 Likes

Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by martinsaba: 6:43pm On May 27, 2021
Guy, do not think of quitting college, you can combine the both and you shall succeed but i beg you don't quit any of the two
Discord:

1 Like

Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by Maj196(m): 6:46pm On May 27, 2021
What are you still waiting for?
Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by Lilpen3758: 6:47pm On May 27, 2021
Op just ask your self what do you want and do the Bleep want you want too many opinions bad
just do what the Bleep you want to do brother
Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by Ashibelieve: 6:55pm On May 27, 2021
Xscape1993:
After your study you can equally go for your programing dear. Sound education is not a waste of time my dear.
Where is sound in Nigeria? Apart from Covenant and 2 others? Universities without speakers how can they give any sound?
Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by GeoAfrikana(m): 6:58pm On May 27, 2021
SageX1444:
What makes you think you won't "drop-out" of the programming too?

IMO, I'll say if you are capable, do both at the same time. you fit fustrate come see say programming na different ball game when you drop out.

You nailed it.
Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by kafeii123: 6:58pm On May 27, 2021
Discord:

Take a gap year from Uni. Write a letter through your registration officer and HOD to the Registrar and Dean of Students' affairs, asking for permission to be away from the university for one academic session. Once this is approved, you can then go ahead to try your hands at full scale programming for a year and see how you do? by then you may have found how you can merge school work with the programming journey or even switched courses to a more programming involved one.

Finally, you do not have to offer all the courses on your course form each semester, you are allowed to inform your level registration officer to help you lessen the number of courses you get to attend classes for per semester to the number you feel comfortable enough with.

That way, you may have less courses per semester and have more time to focus on programming if you want it so.
Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by colestephan86: 7:00pm On May 27, 2021
Discord:

Do it you won't regret it.
Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by FILEBE(m): 7:01pm On May 27, 2021
Programming doesnt disturb your schooling.
Dont! I repeat . Dont drop out for anything. Do both and finish . One of the best place to learn programmong is School, with your folks, who have same passion. I am talking from personal experience. Best advice is continue both.

Most of my friends started their projects from school. They even used school to boost their reputations. They were creating apps, engaging in competitions... organizing seminars and doing lots of cool stuff. After school, it was easy getting jobs as people alreqdy knew them. The school cert made them even attain a higher position in the company.
These are the guys heading bank's IT department

4 Likes

Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by colestephan86: 7:07pm On May 27, 2021
KingZaddy:

If you love your life and future drop out and chase your passion now...

School was not designed to make you a boss but to advance slavery....

The best thing that can happen to a man is to pursue a career that equalizes with his passion... In that way you will never regret and you will never have to work ever because you will never feel like you are working but you will always get the feeling that you are being paid to have fun...

The smartest people from schools end up as employees who make more money for billionaires, many billionaires didn't go to university because they had a plan bigger than wasting 5 years in a 1800s classroom setting
May God bless you.
I the 2.1s in my classroom dear not talk when we the business guys are talking today.
Most ended up in banks, very very few multinationals, but still they are no match for ugobest, ariyo, Emma, and co. One met me in the bank one day she couldn't believe what amount I can to transfer .

I still give resounding respect to some Ibo , and Yoruba boys
Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by CountVersailles(f): 7:08pm On May 27, 2021
Discord:

You don't have to do that. There are many people who have been able to combine both. You can easily combine both. That's for sure. One of the most important things school provide you is not only an education, but also association with people of like mind. Find those who are interested in programming like you and engage with them. Dropping out will rarely give you this opportunity.
Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by samora1noni(m): 7:10pm On May 27, 2021
No knowledge is wasted!!! Dropping-out is never an option.
You can still be studying and learning your programming...
Good luck
Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by RPG2020(m): 7:14pm On May 27, 2021
MajorOvakporaye:
I use this medium to say Happy Children's Day to all Nairalanders still living with their parents!!! cheesy

Abeg enter house �️�
Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by BarrElChapo(m): 7:17pm On May 27, 2021
Muyoatlanta:
Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by Karleb(m): 7:19pm On May 27, 2021
Don't drop out o. Don't ever try it.

By the time you graduate, you'll have enough time to code. Trust me, you will have all the time in the world to code.

I'm speaking from experience.
Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by Jesuyinka01(m): 7:24pm On May 27, 2021
My dear I will advise you to do that...
The best is for you to become a freelancer on fiverr and be earning dollars. I mean thousand of dollars.
I'm also a freelancer on fiverr but I'm a digital marketer...
And a network marketer in NEOLIFE organization.
Discord:

Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by KingZaddy(m): 7:29pm On May 27, 2021
ArticleBeast:

It's not about the country, it's about what you want

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Programming Is just Like Playing Football / Keywords / Reserved word In Q-BASIC / Wht Is CSS Very Complicating...!!!!!!!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.