Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,595 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:42 PM

Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming - Programming (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming (13498 Views)

I Gave Up On Programming. I'm Tired Of Programming. I Need To Rest. / Quit School To Focus On Programming, Hopefully It Will End In Joy / He’s 19, Once Dropped Out Of College, Now A Startup Founder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by Nobody: 10:37pm On May 27, 2021
MrJavaS:
Don't drop out bro.
That it worked for mark zuck and seun osewa doesn't mean it'll work for you.
Circumstances never repeat themselves exactly.

Code during the holidays and focus on getting good grades during semesters.
Only a fool puts all his eggs in one basket

Life is not easy

9ja uni is a hell
Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by bluefilm: 10:56pm On May 27, 2021
Discord:
[s]Hi Nairalanders, kindly need your advice, please.I am currently in my second year studying a five years course in a federal university, I have no interest in whatI am studying, I got good grades tho. Just doing it because that is what my parents want me to do. I have no passion for it, oftentimes I feel I am just wasting my time in school.I love programming and would love to drop out of uni to focus on it and give my all to it. Seeing a lot of graduates living from hand to mouth, struggling to earn a living is truly not encouraging.[/s]

Can't you do both your studies and programming at the same time?

Nonsense attention seekers everywhere! undecided
Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by osazsky(m): 10:56pm On May 27, 2021
What is really the essense of sch?i wil keep saying it nigerians go to universities to go and make friends..finish
Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by 99thEnemy(m): 11:43pm On May 27, 2021
Discord:
Hi Nairalanders, kindly need your advice, please.

I am currently in my second year studying a five years course in a federal university, I have no interest in what
I am studying, I got good grades tho. Just doing it because that is what my parents want me to do. I have no passion for it,
oftentimes I feel I am just wasting my time in school.

I love programming and would love to drop out of uni to focus on it and give my all to it. Seeing a lot of graduates
living from hand to mouth, struggling to earn a living is truly not encouraging.

I respect you.

But your village people strooooooooong grin
Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by mruwaifo(m): 12:17am On May 28, 2021
Xscape1993:
After your study you can equally go for your programing dear. Sound education is not a waste of time my dear.

It is advise like this that destroys people's destiny. Go and learn to code and make your money . Nigeria education is not even worth shit at tech interviews . Think for your self and dont let the Nigeria education promise lie to you . They are literally worthless.
Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by Ilekokonit: 12:30am On May 28, 2021
Discord:

I am currently in my second year studying a five years course in a federal university, I have no interest in what
I am studying, I got good grades tho. Just doing it because that is what my parents want me to do. I have no passion for it,

I love programming and would love to drop out of uni to focus on it and give my all to it. Seeing a lot of graduates
living from hand to mouth, struggling to earn a living is truly not encouraging.

Go with your heart . I know a Medical student who dropped out of UI Medical School after 4 years, retrained and Qualified as a Chartered Accountant and when that turned out to be over saturated with too many Accountants chasing few jobs, he retrained in computer programming and he has not looked back since.

There is a currently a Year 5 female Medical student of the same UI who is currently contemplating dropping out as her passion is in shoe making and from her bespoke shoe making business at Ibadan, she earns so much that she is an employer of labor with a lot of shoe making equipment bought from the proceeds of her shoe making business.

To cushion the blow for your parents, you can simultaneously with your programming course enroll on a part time distance learning course (also in ICT) with the open university but concentrate on mastering the programming language course and passing the certification exam within Max 6 months with a score of 80% or more and then immediately start rigorously job hunting.

If you give it your best shot and all you've got, I can see you earning multiples of what that 5 year course could give you (all possible within 6 months) if you are prepared to pay the price for instance have a goal of mastering a programming language within 3 months and passing the certification exam BUT you most likely will have to study and practice on your computer at least 10 hours a day, 7 days a week , every day for 3 months at a stretch and immediately afterwards you sit the certification exam whilst your brain is still fresh with your studies and after smashing the certification exam immediately start applying for as many programming jobs as is humanly possible per day and within 1 month post certification, you WILL get a well paid ICT job.

But you have to want it enough to resolve to pay the price as enumerated above.

Good luck.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by AOTEMN: 2:24am On May 28, 2021
Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by Xkale1234(m): 4:37am On May 28, 2021
Better continue ur schooling,omo people tink sey programming na simple thing oya na
Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by AntiWailer: 6:41am On May 28, 2021
You will be used as a contract staff.

The company that will be ur handler will be collecting double or triple of what you will be paid.

You have plenty time in school to be what u want to be and still have a minimum of 2-1.

DONT MAKE THAT MISTAKE. YOU WILL REGRET IT

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by Ebonygeek(f): 6:59am On May 28, 2021
Discord:

I know 2 guys that were both in your shoes. Very brilliant chaps. Programming is an art that requires a lot of focus, so one of them switched to an easier course that didn't require any calculations, in order to focus more on programming, while the other continued his difficult course (mathematics), along with programming.

The first one didn't have issues; he allocated time for each easily. The second one had a harder time tho, cos mathematics no be beans. He ended up with a few carryovers. So young blood, if your course is not so difficult, I'd advise you combine them...otherwise...
Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by Sheriman(m): 8:28am On May 28, 2021
Discord:

Only paper certificate in Nigeria today is overhyped nothing good comes from it again. If that is what you really want and like bro I have nothing to say against it than to wish you good luck in your new career.
Join Android iOS developer
Learn Kotlin Programming language.
Kindly visit www.developer.android.com to jumpsuit your career in learning Kotlin
Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by Sheriman(m): 8:48am On May 28, 2021
kafeii123:

Take a gap year from Uni. Write a letter through your registration officer and HOD to the Registrar and Dean of Students' affairs, asking for permission to be away from the university for one academic session. Once this is approved, you can then go ahead to try your hands at full scale programming for a year and see how you do? by then you may have found how you can merge school work with the programming journey or even switched courses to a more programming involved one.

Finally, you do not have to offer all the courses on your course form each semester, you are allowed to inform your level registration officer to help you lessen the number of courses you get to attend classes for per semester to the number you feel comfortable enough with.

That way, you may have less courses per semester and have more time to focus on programming if you want it so.

Are students allow to do all these in a Nigerian Universities?
Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by Jacksparrow7(m): 9:51am On May 28, 2021
I dropped out because of health challenges. Now I have to find another way to in life and go back to school
Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by TundeChris: 10:01am On May 28, 2021
ecomalchemist:
Imma keep it real with you Sonny, don't venture into programming if you don't have money for data or good food.

E get why.

There are times you'd just smash your PC and scream fuckit, I want out when you can't debug a line of code...been there, done that.

Secondly, you need to be on some NOOTRPOICS (cognitive enhancement drugs...adderrall, modafinil, etc)

Here are some gems you can fuccc with, cheers.

You might want to listen to BLESSED (schoolboy Q ft Kendrick Lamar) while reading this while you light up a blunt, it'd help you a lot

Know this and know peace.

you can hit the ground running with a few tips below I you don't have any profitable venture at the monent, this..can be applied to almost anything if you think critically.

imma keep it real with you like my brother from another mother, The educational system in Nigeria has been watered down a great deal but there are still opportunities for grassroot hustlers, best believe that.

All you need now is a hustler's ambition / mindset, you need to grind like one who has no mother or father, its cold out there.

In Nigeria, there are two classes of people (Living things and non living things)...you need to be amongst the living and stop whinning and complaining about this and that, nobody has it easy. If everyone comes to Nairaland beer parlor with his or her story, you go thank God for your life.

Bum imma share some gems with you real quick and if you are street wise, you will take action immediately.

If you must make it in Nigeria, you must think like an OUTLAW. push your fine boy and degree aside, roll up your sleeves and hit the ground running.

however, If you are techy (digital marketing, ecommerce, mini importation, UI / UX, Graphics Design, Video editing)

If you are dead broke don't venture into programming, you cannot effectively learn programming on an empty stomach with lack of data

If you are hands on Plumbing, woodwork, electrical, interior design solar design and installation, phone and laptop repair

Let me give you a brotherly advice, and I hope you work on it...
First of all I counsel people and I have done that on nairaland for a while... I have met great and good guys...
I dropped a story about my experience teaching in two schools as a corper and would not mind partnering with schools in abuja, but some accused me of looking for teaching job... Never ever mind what people say...
Back to the matter...
As a graduate, teaching and earning 15k, e no bad... But once you have a good (android) phone, go to any car stand of your choice around your area... Listen well, any good car stand and ask to see the manager... Tell him you want to help him market his cars and get good buyers... 90% of car stand managers will sign u on... Tel him you will be paid a small commission after sales...
Pick up your phone, snap as many cars as your phone memory can take, open a dedicated twitter ac, IG ac, Facebook ac, WhatsApp ac, ac etc... Take out time to post this cars, make sure you have the actual prices of this cars... You can add as much as #250k on it... Bring down the negotiations to as low as making #50k if need be just so I can sell. Set your monthly target... I assure you, if you get I client in a month, u make around #100,000k once you start growing, you can get as much as 5-10 client from all over the country and that hits you over #1m for just helping others sell their cars, Note all you invested was your time, energy, phone and data... No big financial capital...
Do not restrict yourself to cars, go for industrial machines as well, caterpillars, mikano gens, any thing, then you look for those big companies that need them and try to call their attention to it or market it to them... You may not sell in 3 months but when you manage to get a client to buy just 1 caterpillars, my brother you will instantly forget that u suffered before...
A friend of mine was marketing a silo for a local wielder, he received a call all the way from kebbi state, the purchase was made in Ilorin, he made #1.8 mil from buyers and #400k from seller... He still got a referral from that deal. Wake up bro...
Within a month or two, come and pay (tite).
I drive uber/bolt in abuja, market cars, sell commodities such as beans, maize, wheat,
ginger,onions, name it... In bags and tonnes
And I make nothing less than half a mil monthly...We all blessed my nigga !

Reach me privately if you are interested in gadget importation and sales from US.

Whatsapp - 0.8.1.1.9.7.5.6.1.4.4.

Lool. If I calculate how much data I spent on my own to learn. Honestly it’ should be in the range of say 400k. The enhancement drug is also a temptation, I actually did search, it was crazy!!! But I drink just green tea anyway.

Tough road, but rewarding.

Op please stay in school and code everyday. At least your parents would sponsor your programming path indirectly. Make sure you do well on your first degree too though (a 2:1 or nothing) otherwise, you will regret it. Scholarships for relocation are all dependent on a good first degree, don’t deceive yourself
Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by TundeChris: 10:01am On May 28, 2021
Discord:

Why not switch to computer science
Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by Ofadaman(m): 12:37pm On May 28, 2021
Lol, must they be mutually exclusive?,
Can't you study and learn your programming..
Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by FILEBE(m): 12:55pm On May 28, 2021
freesoul12:
I see people saying.. He has closed alot of opportunities if he drop out.. Programming itself is schooling.. Things has changed alot than wasting 5 good years in d classroom in the name of schooling while u can learn virtually everything online. The so called handouts are limited in scope. Show me that lecturer that knows more than the internet. So who are we deceiving. Google is the best University so far. U cant explore it very well and not succeed. Guys are making millions on Amazon, Upwork, Fiverr, linkiden and many platforms with skills.. Open your mind and eyes

Do you know what programming gan gan entails? How is it that people neednt have a physical offie before they start an internet business? Facebook, google , microsoft's staffs and others can work from home anytime anyday. So, why will he abandon school when he can do both?
Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by Mkingz(m): 8:26pm On May 28, 2021
Best thing would be to combine both...Reason being that you have the leverage of still being under your parents care and you wouldn’t have to bother about money alot and also you can keep working on programming,trying and failing till you master the craft and start earning decent income.
Discord:

Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by wax123(m): 6:29am On May 29, 2021
The feeling is not bad, but never you drop out is not worth it....you can school and still program....this is my 11years in programming....dont ever think of dropping out ....just secure the certificate to avoid regrets ....tomorrow is still far
Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by talk2hb1(m): 11:53pm On May 29, 2021
KingZaddy:

If you love your life and future drop out and chase your passion now...

School was not designed to make you a boss but to advance slavery....

The best thing that can happen to a man is to pursue a career that equalizes with his passion... In that way you will never regret and you will never have to work ever because you will never feel like you are working but you will always get the feeling that you are being paid to have fun...

The smartest people from schools end up as employees who make more money for billionaires, many billionaires didn't go to university because they had a plan bigger than wasting 5 years in a 1800s classroom setting
Imagine if your Doctor Claims he learn everything on YouTube, how will you feel?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by BruncleZuma: 9:33am On May 30, 2021
"Bill Gates dropped out of college and look at him now” yeah he dropped out of *Harvard* and his parents bought him his first computer back when they cost as much as freaking helicopters. Jeff Bezos got a huge fucking loan from his wealthy family to start Amazon “in his garage.” Too many people still believe the “worked their way up from nothing” bullshit about billionaires.

Better go school, then compliment your hustle with handwork and hardwork no let who dey plan to maltreat h mechanic and gateman deceieve you ooo.

Go to school and network.
Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by Springboot: 8:23am On May 31, 2021
I don't need to read thru whatever reasons other have used to justify the silly decision you're about to make but I can only tell you one thing, YOU WILL REGRET IT. Pls don't drop out, Finish your school first.
Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by kafeii123: 10:13pm On Jun 03, 2021
Sheriman:

Yes.....However, there are procedures...e.g. student may need to see the Counsellor..(each student affairs building has one) who should support the student's request with a letter..
the matter will later be considered in the Uni's senate meeting and decision reached and communixated to the student through the Departmental head.
Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by kafeii123: 10:16pm On Jun 03, 2021
talk2hb1:

Imagine if your Doctor Claims he learn everything on YouTube, how will you feel?

Learning isn't only on YouTube.... will later be able to pay to any uni they like..for any course module they desire...and approach verified certifying bodies for the qualifications they desire....

While YouTube is a knowledge house... there's still the role of certifications which once sorted out..will make conventional university attendance and schooling a redundant practice
Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by talk2hb1(m): 11:17pm On Jun 03, 2021
kafeii123:

Learning isn't only on YouTube.... will later be able to pay to any uni they like..for any course module they desire...and approach verified certifying bodies for the qualifications they desire....

While YouTube is a knowledge house... there's still the role of certifications which once sorted out..will make conventional university attendance and schooling a redundant practice
Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by kafeii123: 11:44pm On Jun 03, 2021
talk2hb1:

Yes....will be a long while.....but is an inevitable outcome...

Not to say there'll be a complete takeover of classroom education...but it's impossible to say thay some current training aspects...won't be swallowed.
Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by kafeii123: 4:13pm On Jun 25, 2021
Sheriman:

yes..definitely
Re: Thinking Of Dropping Out Of College To Focus On Programming by Onethousandgoat: 10:28pm On Jul 09, 2021
Jesuyinka01:
My dear I will advise you to do that...
The best is for you to become a freelancer on fiverr and be earning dollars. I mean thousand of dollars.
I'm also a freelancer on fiverr but I'm a digital marketer...
And a network marketer in NEOLIFE organization.
This fraudster is here again!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Join The Andela Learning Community; Powered By Microsoft / Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer / Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.