Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,817 members, 7,827,994 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:54 PM

Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? (2134 Views)

Which Of The Churches Today Is Following Jesus Christ's Teachings? / Difference Between Righteousness And Holiness / Human Righteousness And The Righteousness Of God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? by BassReeves: 8:48am On May 29, 2021
jesusjnr2020:
Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace?
1/ Have you got a beef and/or problem with grace?
2/ Why are you splitting hairs, causing strife between twin blessings, twin gift, righteousness and grace?
3/ Do you agree and accept that grace helps us understand God’s love for us and its same grace that reveals God's love, mercy and compassion to each of us, hence a cue for us to be just as like that show love, mercy and compassion to each of other.

jesusjnr2020:
Christ is the Grace of God, yet His teachings clearly emphasized the importance of works of righteousness concerning man attaining salvation. Matthew 13:41-42; 19:16-19, 27.
For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God

jesusjnr2020:
One would think that with Christ being the Master, Lord and Savior of the church, and the one who paid the price for man's salvation, through whom alone man can be saved, that He ought to know better about what man needs to do to be saved.
Three things will last forever, namely, faith, hope, and love—and the greatest of these is love. Note what is or are absent in the list

jesusjnr2020:
But there are many so-called Christians who think otherwise, that they could possibly know better than the Master in that respect.
John 14:26
'But the Helper (Comforter, Advocate, Intercessor—Counselor, Strengthener, Standby), the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name [in My place, to represent Me and act on My behalf], He will teach you all things.
And He will help you remember everything that I have told you.
'

John 16:13
'But when He, the Spirit of Truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth [full and complete truth].
For He will not speak on His own initiative,
but He will speak whatever He hears
[from the Father—the message regarding the Son], and He will disclose to you what is to come [in the future].
'

jesusjnr2020:
Some are the preachers of the gospel which teaches that the same works of righteousness, which Christ, the Grace of God, emphasized, is not a requirement for man's salvation but grace. Hence the gospel being aptly called the antichrist' gospel of grace, since it contradicts the Gospel of Christ, which is the true Gospel of Grace.
No true born believer, whether dead or alive knowingly will suggest, preach or advocate that the works of righteousness, which Christ, the Grace of God, demonstrated, is not a requirement for man's salvation but grace. Jesus Christ fulfilled all righteousness, so we can be made right with God.

Jesus Christ did not use the words, righteousness and/or grace Himself in His earthly ministry, He left the use of these two words and the exposition of the same two words to others to do (i.e. apostles etc) and so they, as we all do, go on and about with Matthew 28:19-20.

jesusjnr2020:
It's just a shame that one can clearly see why Jesus would deny knowing many Christians on that day, but can't do much about it, because how can Christians who make His own Gospel to be of none effect by their own contrary teachings expect the otherwise reaction from Christ? Matthew 7:22-23

It's really sad, notwithstanding we would keep preaching the Gospel of Christ which He instructed us to teach men to observe which emphasizes the works of righteousness, for those few who would choose not to be among the number of the many Christians He'd deny on that day! Matthew 28:19-20.

God bless.
The teaching, the preaching and the Gospel, as openly asserted and/or as formally announced by our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ, fundamentally centred solidly around love, is about love and nothing else than undiluted unconditional unbiased untainted profound love.

Should anyone have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, then that person is NOTHING, would be NOTHING and never amount to anything worthy. Jesus would deny knowing many Christians purely based on the sentiment of this same love
Re: Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? by jesusjnr2020(m): 9:02am On May 29, 2021
jesusjnr2020:
For those who believe that Christ teachings were under the law, they should kindly answer the following questions:

1. Why the Pharisees, teachers of the law of Moses were yet opposed to His teachings?

2. Why He then told His disciples after His resurrection to teach all men to observe His teachings? Matthew 28:19-20

I'm waiting...
I'm still waiting for the answers to these questions, from those who have the audacity to relegate the teachings of Christ which emphasizes the works of righteousness regarding man's salvation to the laws of Moses.

It seems they are so just obsessed with the Antichrist gospel of grace, that even the teachings of Christ who paid the price for man's salvation, is not spared when it stands in its way.

It hence proves that they just call Jesus, "Lord" with their mouth but not with their hearts, except proven otherwise though.

God bless.
Re: Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? by Myer(m): 9:37am On May 29, 2021
jesusjnr2020:
Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace?

Christ is the Grace of God, yet His teachings clearly emphasized the importance of works of righteousness concerning man attaining salvation. Matthew 13:41-42; 19:16-19, 27.

One would think that with Christ being the Master, Lord and Savior of the church, and the one who paid the price for man's salvation, through whom alone man can be saved, that He ought to know better about what man needs to do to be saved.

But there are many so-called Christians who think otherwise, that they could possibly know better than the Master in that respect.

Some are the preachers of the gospel which teaches that the same works of righteousness, which Christ, the Grace of God, emphasized, is not a requirement for man's salvation but grace. Hence the gospel being aptly called the antichrist' gospel of grace, since it contradicts the Gospel of Christ, which is the true Gospel of Grace.

It's just a shame that one can clearly see why Jesus would deny knowing many Christians on that day, but can't do much about it, because how can Christians who make His own Gospel to be of none effect by their own contrary teachings expect the otherwise reaction from Christ? Matthew 7:22-23

It's really sad, notwithstanding we would keep preaching the Gospel of Christ which He instructed us to teach men to observe which emphasizes the works of righteousness, for those few who would choose not to be among the number of the many Christians He'd deny on that day! Matthew 28:19-20.

God bless.

Good question. Finally.
This is one of the major contradictions in the bible.

Jesus preached Works.
But Jesus also preached Grace.
In fact the issue the Pharisees often had with Jesus was that while they tried to correct him for violating the works of the law, he proved to them that Grace was more important.
When they tried to stone the adultress woman, he forgave her and prove to them that even they were equally guilty of sins which God forgave.
When they were defending the laws and challenged him for working (miracles) on sabbath, he defended himself that He was Lord over Sabath.

Also, Peter and the other apostles preached works over Grace (Faith). James 2:14-17
Paul preached Grace over works. Roman's 11:6

Which was why Peter/James and Paul disagreed over Works and Grace.
While Peter and James preached that Faith is justified by works. And without the works Faith is dead.
Paul preached that Faith is not justified by works.
In fact that mixing Faith and works means it is no longer Faith.

So if you were to conclude, what really is the bible's stand on Grace and Works?
Re: Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? by MaxInDHouse(m): 10:58am On May 29, 2021
The major issue that misinformed Churchgoers failed to grasp the in-depth meaning of "GRACE"
GRACE or UNDESERVED KINDNESS first comes to play in the NT but instead of Churchgoers to ask why it wasn't emphasized in the OT the same way they're coming up with series of definitions that's putting them into more confusion.
According to the Bible all of us are Adam's descendants (sons and daughters of the rebel who deliberately turned against his God and father) so we should just spend few years to taste what God prepared for our father (Adam) and after expiration we return to non-existence, that's what has been happening to all Adam's descendants till now. Ecclesiastes 9:5-10
Provision of a ransom sacrifice to change the condition is what is called UNDESERVED KINDNESS (GRACE) because God has no business with sinners or descendants of a rebel yet He stretched out His hands out of LOVE since we weren't the ones who rebelled against Him! Romans 5:8
What Jesus was telling those Pharisees back then is that it's not their keeping the laws that will make them qualify for everlasting life rather it's the UNDESERVED KINDNESS of God (GRACE) so instead of capitalizing or justifying themselves under the laws they should be prepared to take further steps that will show they're truly repentant and humble before God! Zephaniah 2:2-3
The laws is a prerequisite for membership of the new earth family under CHRIST rule {Jeremiah 31:31-34} but whoever refrain from accepting the counsels Jesus gives will not be pardoned even if he keeps all the laws given to Moses {Luke 18:18-23} the laws is not what will be operational in Paradise but willingness to submit to the most wonderful counselor of all times (Jesus Christ) {Isaiah 9:6-7} it's only him that can approve you to live in his Kingdom {Luke 23:41-43} don't forget that the Father has handed over everything to him both in heaven and on earth! Matthew 28:18 compare to 1Corinthians 15:25-28
So all those capitalizing on their ability to keep the laws will be welcomed into the new family of faith under Christ but they shouldn't think they're better of or deserve special privileges than Christians who never had anything to do with those laws but stick to Christ's Counsels! Matthew 20:1-16

May you have PEACE! smiley
Re: Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? by Kobojunkie: 7:12pm On May 29, 2021
Myer:
Jesus preached Works.But Jesus also preached Grace.
In fact the issue the Pharisees often had with Jesus was that while they tried to correct him for violating the works of the law, he proved to them that Grace was more important.
When they tried to stone the adultress woman, he forgave her and prove to them that even they were equally guilty of sins which God forgave.
When they were defending the laws and challenged him for working (miracles) on sabbath, he defended himself that He was Lord over Sabath.
Am I correct in assuming, from the above, that what you refer to as grace is nothing but man showing mercy to his fellow man then, at least directly from the first example? undecided

Recall that Jesus Christ told the Pharisees to go and learn what the statement, "For I desire steadfast love1 and not sacrifice, the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings.",means? That statement comes from God's message to His people through His prophets Samuel- 1 Samuel 15 vs 22 -, Hosea and Micah. undecided

What Jesus Christ did with the woman caught in the act of Adultery, and on the Sabbath(showing mercy to those in need), was in fact in obedience to God's Old Covenant comandments/rules.

Hosea 6 vs 5-7(ERV)

5 I used the prophets and made laws for the people. The people were killed at my command, but good things will come from those decisions.[a]
6 This is because I want faithful love, not sacrifice. I want people to know God, not to bring burnt offerings.
7 But the people broke the agreement as Adam did. They were unfaithful to me in their country.
The Pharisees who focused on those portions of the law that benefited them the most missed God's core message and Jesus Christ pointed this out on more than one occasion.
Micah 6 vs 6 - 8 (ERV)

6 What must I bring when I come to meet with the Lord? What must I do when I bow down to God above? Should I come to him with burnt offerings and a year-old calf?
7 Will the Lord be pleased with a thousand rams or with ten thousand rivers of oil? Should I offer him my first child to pay for my wrongs? Should I sacrifice my very own child for my sins?
8 Human, the Lord has told you what goodness is. This is what he wants from you: Be fair to other people. Love kindness and loyalty, and humbly obey your God.
The law " Love your neighbor as you love your self" comes from the Old Covenant and in the same, we find the Sabbath laws in which the people are instructed not to do any work at all on the sabbath day. However, the people were expected to continue in obedience/compliance of all the laws, including the command to love their neighbor, on that day.
Leading us then to realizing that a man is not justified in refusing to show love to his neighbor on a sabbath day. God is not pleased with any man who refuses to free another from a yoke burdening him on a Sabbath day either. By this we know that even on the Sabbath day, God expects us to love our neighbors(even our enemies) as we love our selves. No one gets a free pass where obedience of the other laws are concerned even when it is the Sabbath day. undecided

How you came about labeling this a contradiction is what I would very much like to know more of. undecided
Re: Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? by Myer(m): 9:10pm On May 29, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Am I correct in assuming, from the above, that what you refer to as grace is nothing but man showing mercy to his fellow man then, at least directly from the first example? undecided

Recall that Jesus Christ told the Pharisees to go and learn what the statement, "For I desire steadfast love1 and not sacrifice, the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings.",means? That statement comes from God's message to His people through His prophets Samuel- 1 Samuel 15 vs 22 -, Hosea and Micah. undecided

What Jesus Christ did with the woman caught in the act of Adultery, and on the Sabbath(showing mercy to those in need), was in fact in obedience to God's Old Covenant comandments/rules.
The Pharisees who focused on those portions of the law that benefited them the most missed God's core message and Jesus Christ pointed this out on more than one occasion.
The law " Love your neighbor as you love your self" comes from the Old Covenant and in the same, we find the Sabbath laws in which the people are instructed not to do any work at all on the sabbath day. However, the people were expected to continue in obedience/compliance of all the laws, including the command to love their neighbor, on that day.
Leading us then to realizing that a man is not justified in refusing to show love to his neighbor on a sabbath day. God is not pleased with any man who refuses to free another from a yoke burdening him on a Sabbath day either. By this we know that even on the Sabbath day, God expects us to love our neighbors(even our enemies) as we love our selves. No one gets a free pass where obedience of the other laws are concerned even when it is the Sabbath day. undecided

How you came about labeling this a contradiction is what I would very much like to know more of. undecided

I would think the contradictions are obvious.
Cos you have simply proven my point. That all the laws become futile by considering the law of love your neighbor as yourself.

Exodus 31:15 (the law the Pharisees were defending)
12 And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying,

13 Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the Lord that doth sanctify you.

14 Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.

15 Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the Lord: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.

Note that Jesus did not deny it. He simply overruled it by saying He was Lord over the Sabbath.

Leviticus 20:10 (the Law the Jews were executing against the adulteress woman)
The man who commits adultery with another man’s wife, he who commits adultery with his neighbor’s wife, the adulterer and the adulteress, shall surely be put to death.
Re: Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? by BassReeves: 9:12pm On May 29, 2021
jesusjnr2020:
For those who believe that Christ teachings were under the law, they should kindly answer the following questions:

1. Why the Pharisees, teachers of the law of Moses were yet opposed to His teachings?
The Pharisees, teachers of the law of Moses, believed they could attain perfect righteousness through their exclusive obedience to the law, hence one of the reasons why they were opposed to Jesus' teachings and any prompt of or from the Spirit of God

jesusjnr2020:
2. Why He then told His disciples after His resurrection to teach all men to observe His teachings? Matthew 28:19-20

I'm waiting...
Jesus never preached to the Gentiles, as He was primarily assigned and sent to the lost sheep of Israel. It is a case of the Jews first, then the Gentiles, the world at large after, hence one of the reasons why He then told His disciples after His resurrection to teach all men to observe His teachings i.e. Matthew 28:19-20

jesusjnr2020:
I'm still waiting for the answers to these questions, from those who have the audacity to relegate the teachings of Christ which emphasizes the works of righteousness regarding man's salvation to the laws of Moses.
Just as psucc remarked, you ought to be specific of what righteousness you are harping about
Is it imputed righteousness (i.e. Romans 3:22, 2 Corinthians 5:21, Philippians 3:9 and 2 Peter 1:1), imparted righteousness (i.e. 2 Peter 1:3-4), imbedded righteousness (i.e. 1 John 3:9) or for the fact that, being that there is no one righteous, not even one, even is it the Isaiah 64:6, bomboclaat or filthy rags type of righteousness?

jesusjnr2020:
It seems they are so just obsessed with the Antichrist gospel of grace, that even the teachings of Christ who paid the price for man's salvation, is not spared when it stands in its way.

It hence proves that they just call Jesus, "Lord" with their mouth but not with their hearts, except proven otherwise though.

God bless.
Romans 5:17
'For the sin of this one man, Adam, caused death to rule over many.
But even greater is God’s wonderful grace and his gift of righteousness,
for all who receive it will live in triumph over sin and death through this one man, Jesus Christ.
'

Philippians 1:8-11
'8For God is my witness, how I long for all of you with the affection of Christ Jesus [whose great love fills me].
9And this I pray, that your love may abound more and more [displaying itself in greater depth] in real knowledge and in practical insight,
10so that you may learn to recognize and treasure what is excellent [identifying the best, and distinguishing moral differences],
and that you may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ [actually living lives that lead others away from sin];
11filled with the fruit of righteousness which comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God
[so that His glory may be both revealed and recognized].
'

We are not under law, but under grace. We are not under rigidity, but under fluidity and lucidity. The Law has become our schoolmaster, our tutor and our disciplinarian to guide us to Christ, so that we may be justified [that is, declared free of the guilt of sin and its penalty, and placed in right standing with God] by faith, but now that faith has come, we are no longer under [the control and authority of] a schoolmaster, a tutor and disciplinarian. For us [who are born-again have been reborn from above--spiritually transformed, renewed, sanctified and] are all children of God [set apart for His purpose with full rights and privileges] through faith in Christ Jesus. Law tells us how crooked we am, grace comes and makes us straight. Hallelujah Praise the Lord.

1 Like

Re: Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? by BassReeves: 9:13pm On May 29, 2021
Myer:
Good question. Finally.

Jesus preached Works.

Also, Peter and the other apostles preached works over Grace (Faith). James 2:14-17

While Peter and James preached that Faith is justified by works. And without the works Faith is dead.

So if you were to conclude, what really is the bible's stand on Grace and Works?

Kobojunkie:

The law " Love your neighbor as you love your self" comes from the Old Covenant where God. In the same, we find the Sabbath laws. On the Sabbath, the people were instructed not to do any work at all, however, they were expected to continue in obedience/compliance of all the laws, including the command to love their neighbor.
So is a man justified in refusing to show love to his neighbor on a sabbath day?
Is God pleased with any man who refuses to free another from a yoke burdening him on a Sabbath day?
Does a one get a free pass from breaking God's command to love on the sabbath day? undecided

The only thing stronger or strongest than righteousness and/or grace is a love. Love is a winner any time, t. Now without grace it is hard to give unconditional love and receive love in return back. Without a sense of righteousness, it is difficult to give unbiased love and receive love in return back. It is because of righteousness and/or grace, that Jesus Christ was able to demonstrate an expression of love to the woman allegedly caught in the act of Adultery. Love will let you do the right thing, do the right thing at the right time, do the right thing at the right time doing it remaining at right standing with God, do the right thing at the right time doing it remaining at right standing with God effortlessly (i.e. grace, which is doing something without no engagement of any tortuous physical or mental exertion.

We are not under law, but under grace. We are not under rigidity, but under fluidity and lucidity. The Law has become our schoolmaster, our tutor and our disciplinarian to guide us to Christ, so that we may be justified [that is, declared free of the guilt of sin and its penalty, and placed in right standing with God] by faith, but now that faith has come, we are no longer under [the control and authority of] a schoolmaster, a tutor and disciplinarian. For us [who are born-again have been reborn from above--spiritually transformed, renewed, sanctified and] are all children of God [set apart for His purpose with full rights and privileges] through faith in Christ Jesus. The law shows how big and great our sin is, but grace reveals to us how incredible and huge God's love is. Law, tells us how crooked we am, grace comes and makes us straight. Hallelujah Praise the Lord.
Re: Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? by Kobojunkie: 9:18pm On May 29, 2021
Myer:

I would think the contradictions are obvious.
Cos you have simply proven my point. That all the laws become futile by considering the law of love your neighbor as yourself.

Exodus 31:15 (the law the Pharisees were defending)
12 And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying,

13 Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the Lord that doth sanctify you.

14 Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.

15 Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the Lord: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.

Note that Jesus did not deny it. He simply overruled it by saying He was Lord over the Sabbath.

Leviticus 20:10 (the Law the Jews were executing against the adulteress woman)
The man who commits adultery with another man’s wife, he who commits adultery with his neighbor’s wife, the adulterer and the adulteress, shall surely be put to death.
How did Jesus Christ "overrule" them when what He did was in obedience to the law as well?
undecided
Leviticus 18 vs 15 -18 (ERV)

15 “You must be fair in judgment. You must not show special favor to the poor. And you must not show special favor to important people. You must be fair when you judge your neighbor.
16 You must not go around spreading false stories against other people. Don’t do anything that would put your neighbor’s life in danger. I am the Lord.

17 “Don’t secretly hate any of your neighbors. But tell them openly what they have done wrong so that you will not be just as guilty of sin as they are.
18 Forget about the wrong things people do to you. try to get even. Love your neighbor as yourself. I am the Lord.
And here, the law in regards to the stoning of sinners to death.
Deuteronomy 17 vs 2 -7 (ERV)

2 “You might hear about an evil thing that happens in one of the cities that the Lord your God is giving you. You might hear that a man or woman in your group has sinned against the Lord your God. You might hear that they have broken his agreement or
3 that they have worshiped other gods or maybe the sun, the moon or the stars. I never told you to do that!
4 If you hear bad news like this, you must check it carefully. You must learn if it is true that this terrible thing has really happened in Israel. If you prove that it is true,
5 you must punish the person who did this evil thing. You must take that man or woman out to a public place near the city gates and kill them with stones.
6 But no one should be punished with death if only one witness says that person did that evil thing. But if two or three witnesses say it is true, the person must be killed.
7 The witnesses must throw the first stones to kill that person. Then the other people should throw stones to finish killing that person. In this way you will remove this evil from your group.
The so called witnesses inthe case of the adulteress woman did not see fit to cast the first stone, so why would Jesus Christ, who never witnessed the event, have been expected to carry out the sentence against her? undecided

Please help me see this contradiction you continue to speak of. Am I to believe it is now even in the Old Covenant? undecided
Re: Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? by Myer(m): 10:48pm On May 29, 2021
Kobojunkie:
How did Jesus Christ "overrule" them when what He did was in obedience to the law as well?
undecided
And here, the law in regards to the stoning of sinners to death.
The so called witnesses inthe case of the adulteress woman did not see fit to cast the first stone, so why would Jesus Christ, who never witnessed the event, have been expected to carry out the sentence against her? undecided

Please help me see this contradiction you continue to speak of. Am I to believe it is now even in the Old Covenant? undecided

Jesus asked them a question no human could pass though. "Let he without sin be the first to cast the stone."
He did not ask that any witness should cast the stone as stated in the law.

Anyway, I grow tired of this back and forth.
It's probably for the better that you do not see any contradictions.
Re: Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? by Kobojunkie: 11:28pm On May 29, 2021
Myer:

Jesus asked them a question no human could pass though. "Let he without sin be the first to cast the stone."
He did not ask that any witness should cast the stone as stated in the law.

Anyway, I grow tired of this back and forth.
It's probably for the better that you do not see any contradictions.
Why do you keep jumping to conclusions without doing some real research of our own? undecided

Deuteronomy 19 vs 15 -21 holds possible reason as to why the so-called witnesses decided not to go ahead with the stoning. If true witnesses, they were well in their right to stone the woman to death but a simple question asked them by Jesus Christ in John 8, caused them to chose against carrying out wha would have been God's rightful judgement against the woman. The story was about these men reexamining their action against the same Law and determining afterwards that they were in the wrong to attempt stoning the woman to death. undecided

Exodus 23 contains other rules that "witnesses" are expected to abide by. Clearly, what happened with the Sabbath, and with the woman caught in act of adultery has nothing to do with this grace mumbo jumbo, but instead with obeying God's laws still, even as one proceeds to do with with mercy. undecided
Re: Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? by Myer(m): 11:53pm On May 29, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Why do you keep jumping to conclusions without doing some real research of our own? undecided

Deuteronomy 19 vs 15 -21 holds possible reason as to why the so-called witnesses decided not to go ahead with the stoning. If true witnesses, they were well in their right to stone the woman to death but a simple question asked them by Jesus Christ in John 8, caused them to chose against carrying out wha would have been God's rightful judgement against the woman.

Exodus 23 contains other rules that "witnesses" are expected to abide by.

Was Jesus Christ the reason they stopped short of stoning the woman? Obviously not, but you seem to think it is His fault when the reason is found in the Old law, and nothing to do with this grace mumbo jumbo many like to spew without having a reasonable understanding of the implications of said beliefs.

I'll indulge you just to know how far you will defend this.
Let's examine the passage together as written in the bible. So that we will only share what the bible says and not what we think or assume it says or what we expect it to say.

John 8:3-11
The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery, and placing her in the midst 4 they said to him, “Teacher, this woman has been caught in the act of adultery. 5 Now in the Law, Moses commanded us to stone such women. So what do you say?” 6 This they said fto test him, that they might have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground. 7 And as they continued to ask him, he stood up and said to them,  "Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her.”  8 And once more he bent down and wrote on the ground. 9 But when they heard it, they went away one by one, beginning with the older ones, and Jesus was left alone with the woman standing before him. 10 Jesus stood up and said to her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?” 11 She said, “No one, Lord.” And Jesus said, j“Neither do I condemn you; go, and from now on ksin no more.” ]]

1. This passage clearly says she was caught in the act.
The Law says she should be stoned to death which the quoted. Verses 4-5
Whether by the witnesses that caught her or not is not the argument as Lev 20:10 doesn't mention witnesses but that she be put to death.

2. The passage also clearly states why they could not stone her. It does not say it is because they were not the witnesses. It states clearly that it was because of the question Jesus asked them. Verses 7-9

Jesus did not ask them if they were the witnesses.
He asked them if they were without sin. Knowing no human is without sin. Hence they could not stone her because they too were sinners.

1 Like

Re: Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? by Kobojunkie: 12:08am On May 30, 2021
Myer:

I'll indulge you just to know how far you will defend this.
Let's examine the passage together as written in the bible. So that we will only share what the bible says and not what we think or assume it says or what we expect it to say.

John 8:3-11
The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery, and placing her in the midst 4 they said to him, “Teacher, this woman has been caught in the act of adultery. 5 Now in the Law, Moses commanded us to stone such women. So what do you say?” 6 This they said fto test him, that they might have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground. 7 And as they continued to ask him, he stood up and said to them, “Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her.”  8 And once more he bent down and wrote on the ground. 9 But when they heard it, they went away one by one, beginning with the older ones, and Jesus was left alone with the woman standing before him. 10 Jesus stood up and said to her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?” 11 She said, “No one, Lord.” And Jesus said, j“Neither do I condemn you; go, and from now on ksin no more.” ]]

1. This passage clearly says she was caught in the act.
The Law says she should be stoned to death which the quoted. Verses 4-5
Whether by the witnesses that caught her or not is not the argument as Lev 20:10 doesn't mention witnesses but that she be put to death.

2. The passage also clearly states why they could not stone her. It does not say it is because they were not the witnesses. It states clearly that it was because of the question Jesus asked them. Verses 7-9

Jesus did not ask them if they were the witnesses.
He asked them if they were without sin. Knowing no human is without sin. Hence they could not stone her because they too were sinners.
1. Deuteronomy 17 vs 2 -7 , Exodus 23 and Deuteronomy 19 vs 15 -21 provide details of how sentence ought to be carried out and by whom. According to the Law, the witnesses are required to initiate the stoning and not just anyone can be a witness. undecided

Below are some of the rules in the Old covenant that help determine whether a witness is a true witness or false witness

Exodus 23 vs 1 - 8

1. “Don’t tell lies against other people. If you are a witness in court, don’t agree to help a bad person tell lies.

2. “Don’t do something just because everyone else is doing it. If you see a group of people doing wrong, don’t join them. You must not let them persuade you to do wrong things—you must do what is right and fair.

3. “In court, don’t treat a person in a special way simply because that person is poor.

4. “If you see a lost bull or donkey, then you must return it to its owner—even if the owner is your enemy.

5 “If you see an animal that cannot walk because it has too much to carry, you must stop and help that animal. You must help that animal even if it belongs to one of your enemies.

6. “In court, don’t let anyone take advantage of a person simply because that person is poor.

7 “Be very careful if you say that someone is guilty of something. Don’t make false charges against a person. Never allow innocent people to be killed as punishment for something they did not do. Whoever kills an innocent person is evil, and I will not treat a guilty person as innocent.

8 “If someone tries to pay you to agree with them when they are wrong, don’t accept that payment. A payment like that can blind judges so that they cannot see the truth. It can make good people tell lies.
These here list some of the sins witnesses can potentially be guilty of.

2. According to the law(again read the passages provided above), the 2 or 3 witnesses of the crime are to cast the first stones. Since they did not, there was no other, given authority, to stone the woman to death for even that crime. undecided

3. Jesus's question to them has nothing to do with your claim that no human is without sin as there are those who are without sin... and we have at least 5 examples of such "sinless" individuals provided us right there in the Gospels. So your assumption is flawed. undecided
Re: Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? by Myer(m): 12:12am On May 30, 2021
Kobojunkie:
1. Deuteronomy 17 vs 2 -7 , Exodus 23 and Deuteronomy 19 vs 15 -21 how said sentence ought to be carried out and by whom. undecided

2. According to the law(again read the passages provided above), the 2 or 3 witnesses of the crime are to cast the first stones. Since they did not, there was no other, given authority, to stone the woman to death for even that crime. undecided

3. Jesus's question to them has nothing to do with your claim that no human is without sin as there are those who are without sin... and we have at least 5 examples of such "sinless" individuals provided us right there in the Gospels. So your assumption is flawed. undecided

Wow. You still found a way to argue your way out of what the bible clearly states?
I rest my case cos apparently it's.more important for you to be right than for the bible to be right.
Re: Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? by Kobojunkie: 12:15am On May 30, 2021
Myer:

Wow. You still found a way to argue your way out of what the bible clearly states?
I rest my case cos apparently it's.more important for you to be right than for the bible to be right.
Wait a second.... what part of what I said is not in the same Bible? undecided

Do you take just the piece that fits your narrative without considering the whole? undecided

You do understand that that is exactly what the Pharisees were found guilty of even here.. focusing on just potions of the Law, ignoring the whole. undecided
Re: Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? by Myer(m): 12:42am On May 30, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Wait a second.... what part of what I said is not in the same Bible? undecided

Do you take just the piece that fits your narrative without considering the whole? undecided

You do understand that that is exactly what the Pharisees were found guilty of even here.. focusing on just potions of the Law, ignoring the whole. undecided

There you go again.
Where does it say that Pharisees were guilty of focusing on portions of the Law and not the whole?

Jesus accused Pharisees simply because of their false sense of self-righteousness and-superiority. And of course for not accepting him as the Messiah.

He had no problem with their knowledge of the Law afterall they were the experts and teachers of the Law.
Re: Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? by Kobojunkie: 1:08am On May 30, 2021
Myer:

There you go again.
Where does it say that Pharisees were guilty of focusing on portions of the Law and not the whole?

Jesus accused Pharisees simply because of their false sense of self-righteousness and-superiority. And of course for not accepting him as the Messiah.

He had no problem with their knowledge of the Law afterall they were the experts and teachers of the Law.
1. Matthew 9 vs 13 and Matthew 23 vs 23

Matthew 23 vs 23 -24

23 “It will be bad for you teachers of the law and you Pharisees! You are hypocrites! You give God a tenth of the food you get, even your mint, dill, and cumin.[d] But you don’t obey the really important teachings of the law—being fair, showing mercy, and being faithful. These are the things you should do. And you should also continue to do those other things.
24 You guide the people, but you are blind! Think about a man picking a little fly out of his drink and then swallowing a camel! You are like that.[e]
2. Jesus accused them of being self-righteous, but this in addition to so many other things.

3. Make time to read through Matthew 23 . Jesus had problems with their knowledge and understanding of the law. In Mark 7, among several other places in the Gospels, He clearly expressed this too. undecided

Below is one of the passages that defines sin as far as witnesses are concerned. Note the last verse declares that as long as the witness is true, he/she should know he/she does the right thing.

Deuteronomy 19 vs 15 - 21

15. “If someone is accused of doing something against the law, one witness is not enough to prove that the person is guilty. There must be two or three witnesses to prove that the person really did wrong.

16. “A witness might try to hurt another person by lying and saying that this person did wrong.
17. If that happens, both of them must go to the Lord’s special house and be judged by the priests and judges who are on duty at that time.
18. When the judges carefully ask their questions, they might find that the witness lied against the other person. If the witnesses tell lies,
19. you must punish them with the same punishment the other person would have received. In this way you will remove this evil from your group.
20. Other people will hear about this and be afraid, and people will not do evil things like that again.

21. “Don’t feel sorry about punishing someone who does wrong. If a life is taken, a life must be paid for it. The rule is an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, a hand for a hand, a foot for a foot—the punishment must equal the crime.
However, the question asked by Jesus Christ caused the witnesses to reevaluate their claim against the woman, by considering what the law also says of themselves, eventually each reaching the decision not to condemn all on their own. undecided
Re: Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? by petra1(m): 4:27am On May 30, 2021
BassReeves:
The Pharisees, teachers of the law of Moses, believed they could attain perfect righteousness through their exclusive obedience to the law, hence one of the reasons why they were opposed to Jesus' teachings and any prompt of or from the Spirit of God

Jesus never preached to the Gentiles, as He was primarily assigned and sent to the lost sheep of Israel. It is a case of the Jews first, then the Gentiles, the world at large after, hence one of the reasons why He then told His disciples after His resurrection to teach all men to observe His teachings i.e. Matthew 28:19-20

Just as psucc remarked, you ought to be specific of what righteousness you are harping about
Is it imputed righteousness (i.e. Romans 3:22, 2 Corinthians 5:21, Philippians 3:9 and 2 Peter 1:1), imparted righteousness (i.e. 2 Peter 1:3-4), imbedded righteousness (i.e. 1 John 3:9) or for the fact that, being that there is no one righteous, not even one, even is it the Isaiah 64:6, bomboclaat or filthy rags type of righteousness?

Romans 5:17
'For the sin of this one man, Adam, caused death to rule over many.
But even greater is God’s wonderful grace and his gift of righteousness,
for all who receive it will live in triumph over sin and death through this one man, Jesus Christ.
'

Philippians 1:8-11
'8For God is my witness, how I long for all of you with the affection of Christ Jesus [whose great love fills me].
9And this I pray, that your love may abound more and more [displaying itself in greater depth] in real knowledge and in practical insight,
10so that you may learn to recognize and treasure what is excellent [identifying the best, and distinguishing moral differences],
and that you may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ [actually living lives that lead others away from sin];
11filled with the fruit of righteousness which comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God
[so that His glory may be both revealed and recognized].
'

We are not under law, but under grace. We are not under rigidity, but under fluidity and lucidity. The Law has become our schoolmaster, our tutor and our disciplinarian to guide us to Christ, so that we may be justified [that is, declared free of the guilt of sin and its penalty, and placed in right standing with God] by faith, but now that faith has come, we are no longer under [the control and authority of] a schoolmaster, a tutor and disciplinarian. For us [who are born-again have been reborn from above--spiritually transformed, renewed, sanctified and] are all children of God [set apart for His purpose with full rights and privileges] through faith in Christ Jesus. Law tells us how crooked we am, grace comes and makes us straight. Hallelujah Praise the Lord.

Awesome teaching
Re: Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? by petra1(m): 4:31am On May 30, 2021
Myer:

Good question. Finally.

Jesus preached Works.

There is no confusion . When you received grace and righteousness you show the fruits in works .
Re: Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? by petra1(m): 6:12am On May 30, 2021
jesusjnr2020:

We didn't say so . The bible says so.

Galatians 4:4 (NLT)
4 But when the right time came, God sent his Son, born of a woman, subject to the law.

So you see. The

The Bible says so .
Jesus operated while

He was not fully compliant to the law because he brought a new way . But the new way can't be implemented until after his death. That is why he sent the Holy spirit to lead us into all Truth. If you want to know about the church. Study the epistles. Remember Jesus primary work in his earthly ministry was for the jews . The Gentiles were not part of his earthly ministry.

He didn't say so . Why not quote what he said .

1 Like

Re: Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? by Kobojunkie: 6:24am On May 30, 2021
petra1:
4 But when the right time came, God sent his Son, born of a woman, subject to the law.

So you see. The The Bible says so .
Jesus operated while

He was not fully compliant to the law because he brought a new way . But the new way can't be implemented until after his death. That is why he sent the Holy spirit to lead us into all Truth. If you want to know about the church. Study the epistles. Remember Jesus primary work in his earthly ministry was for the jews . The Gentiles were not part of his earthly ministry.
1. Jesus Christ was not fully compliant with the Law because He brought a new way, yet the same Jesus Christ had declared to all that He had come to fulfill the Old Covenant Law. Are you implying that Jesus Christ decieved us when He declared He had come to fulfill the law and not abolish it? undecided

2. Also, the righteousness that is attributed to Jesus Christ, how did He come about it if not through living in compliance with the Old Covenant Law,since we now that Jesus Christ arrived here on earth full of Life and Truth but not righteousness? undecided

3. When Jesus Christ sent His disciples out to preach the Gospel of the Kingdom of God to the world, what teachings did Jesus Christ send them out to teach and to whom if not the world - cosmos? undecided
Re: Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? by orunto27: 6:41am On May 30, 2021
RIGHTEOUSNESS IS THE WAY

GRACE IS THE TRUTH

JESUS IS LIFE.
Re: Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? by FarmTech(m): 10:21am On May 30, 2021
Myer:

Good question. Finally.

Jesus preached Works.

There are 2 types of works u need to understand:
1. The work people do to get salvation. This is wrong. Because we are saved by grace alone, thru faith in Christ so that no one will boast. This is what Paul is emphasizing, that u can't mix work and faith to gain salvation.

2. The work we do after accepting Christ. This is a must for every child of God. This is what Peter/James were saying, that if u really have faith in Christ, u must show it by the way u live ur live. Even apostle Paul said it in ROM 3:31
["Does it mean that by faith we do away with the Law? No, not at all, instead, we uphold the Law"]
More verses that shows that Paul agree with Peter/James:
Romans 6:12-23
Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires. Do not offer any part of yourself to sin as an instrument of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer every part of yourself to him as an instrument of righteousness. For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace.

Slaves to Righteousness
What then? Shall we sin because we are not under the law but under grace? By no means! Don’t you know that when you offer yourselves to someone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one you obey—whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness? But thanks be to God that, though you used to be slaves to sin, you have come to obey from your heart the pattern of teaching that has now claimed your allegiance.

You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.
I am using an example from everyday life because of your human limitations. Just as you used to offer yourselves as slaves to impurity and to ever-increasing wickedness, so now offer yourselves as slaves to righteousness leading to holiness. When you were slaves to sin, you were free from the control of righteousness.

What benefit did you reap at that time from the things you are now ashamed of? Those things result in death! But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life. For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:1, KJV: "What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?"
There are many more if you read Paul's epistles. Anyone who is telling u that u can remain in sin and still be a Christian by faith is a liar. Christians like that are the ones that call Christ Lord, but Christ will reject them and call them workers of iniquity. It is a pity that one homosexual supporter is still here arguing with us. That is one of the effect of false grace teachings.
Re: Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? by Myer(m): 10:52am On May 30, 2021
FarmTech:

1. The work people do to get salvation. This is wrong. Because we are saved by grace alone, thru faith in Christ so that no one will boast. This is what Paul is emphasizing, that u can't mix work and faith to gain salvation.

2. The work we do after accepting Christ. This is a must for every child of God. This is what Peter/James were saying, that if u really have faith in Christ, u must show it by the way u live ur live. Even apostle Paul said it in ROM 3:31
["Does it mean that by faith we do away with the Law? No, not at all, instead, we uphold the Law"]
Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires. Do not offer any part of yourself to sin as an instrument of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer every part of yourself to him as an instrument of righteousness. For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace.

Slaves to Righteousness
What then? Shall we sin because we are not under the law but under grace? By no means! Don’t you know that when you offer yourselves to someone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one you obey—whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness? But thanks be to God that, though you used to be slaves to sin, you have come to obey from your heart the pattern of teaching that has now claimed your allegiance.

I am using an example from everyday life because of your human limitations. Just as you used to offer yourselves as slaves to impurity and to ever-increasing wickedness, so now offer yourselves as slaves to righteousness leading to holiness. When you were slaves to sin, you were free from the control of righteousness.

What benefit did you reap at that time from the things you are now ashamed of? Those things result in death! But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life. For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:1, KJV: "What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?"
There are many more if you read Paul's epistles. Anyone who is telling u that u can remain in sin and still be a Christian by faith is a liar. Christians like that are the ones that call Christ Lord, but Christ will reject them and call them workers of iniquity. It is a pity that one homosexual supporter is still here arguing with us. That is one of the effect of false grace teachings.

I can't completely agree with you just because Paul was not speaking to unbelievers but to believers and mostly new converts.

It is easy to know Paul's stand on the Law.
Galatians 3 makes it very clear.

Galatians 3:1-14
You foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? Before your very eyes Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed as crucified.
I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by observing the law, or by believing what you heard?
Are you so foolish? After beginning with the Spirit, are you now trying to attain your goal by human effort
Have you suffered so much for nothing--if it really was for nothing?

Does God give you his Spirit and work miracles among you because you observe the law, or because you believe what you heard?
Consider Abraham: "He believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness." 
Understand, then, that those who believe are children of Abraham.
The Scripture foresaw that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, and announced the gospel in advance to Abraham: "All nations will be blessed through you." 
So those who have faith are blessed along with Abraham, the man of faith.

All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law."
Clearly no one is justified before God by the law, because, "The righteous will live by faith."
The law is not based on faith; on the contrary, "The man who does these things will live by them."

Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree."
He redeemed us in order that the blessing given to Abraham might come to the Gentiles through Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit.

1 Like

Re: Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? by MaxInDHouse(m): 11:17am On May 30, 2021
On the day Jesus was executed two criminals condemned for UNRIGHTEOUS WORKS {Luke 23:40-41} were nailed at his right hand left. Luke 23:32-33
If works of righteousness is the ultimate then on what criteria was one of those criminals given a direct VISA to Paradise? Luke 23:43 smiley
Re: Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? by petra1(m): 2:23pm On May 30, 2021
FarmTech:

Slaves to Righteousness

Nice . Working out salvation is different from working for salvation
Re: Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? by FarmTech(m): 10:42pm On Jun 01, 2021
petra1:

Nice . Working out salvation is different from working for salvation
. Correct.
Re: Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? by FarmTech(m): 10:59pm On Jun 01, 2021
Myer:

I can't completely agree with you just because Paul was not speaking to unbelievers but to believers and mostly new converts.

You foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? Before your very eyes Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed as crucified.
I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by observing the law, or by believing what you heard?
Are you so foolish? After beginning with the Spirit, are you now trying to attain your goal by human effort

Does God give you his Spirit and work miracles among you because you observe the law, or because you believe what you heard?
Consider Abraham: "He believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness." 
The Scripture foresaw that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, and announced the gospel in advance to Abraham: "All nations will be blessed through you." 

All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law."
Clearly no one is justified before God by the law, because, "The righteous will live by faith."
The law is not based on faith; on the contrary, "The man who does these things will live by them."

Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree."
He redeemed us in order that the blessing given to Abraham might come to the Gentiles through Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit.

Consider this portion I wrote: "Did you receive the Spirit by observing the law, or by believing what you heard?
Are you so foolish? After beginning with the Spirit, are you now trying to attain your goal by human effort"
Salvation is by faith alone. u can't attend it by human nature. But after God have given u salvation, u MUST yield fruits of good works. God WILL NOT do it for u. Christ WILL NOT do it for u. He can only help and empower u thru the Holy Spirit. But human effort is still needed. That is why the bible will tell us to
try
persevere
endure
carry our cross etc.
I repeat what Paul said: ROM 3:31
If u are truely a christian, u will obey the law naturally, out of love for God. Even Jesus Christ stressed the need to obey God's commandments.
And note, I'm not talking about Jewish ceremonial laws like circumcision, festivals etc. Rather, God's moral laws. I guess this is what confuses many when they read Paul's epistles
Re: Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? by FarmTech(m): 11:15pm On Jun 01, 2021
Myer:

Consider this portion u wrote: "Did you receive the Spirit by observing the law, or by believing what you heard?
Are you so foolish? After beginning with the Spirit, are you now trying to attain your goal by human effort"
Salvation is by faith alone. u can't attend it by human nature. But after God have given u salvation, u MUST yield fruits of good works. God WILL NOT do it for u. Christ WILL NOT do it for u. He can only help and empower u thru the Holy Spirit. But human effort is still needed. That is why the bible will tell us to
try
persevere
endure
carry our cross etc.
I repeat what Paul said: ROM 3:31
If u are truely a christian, u will obey the law naturally, out of love for God. Even Jesus Christ stressed the need to obey God's commandments.
And note, I'm not talking about Jewish ceremonial laws like circumcision, festivals etc. Rather, God's moral laws. I guess this is what confuses many when they read Paul's epistles
Re: Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? by CodeTemplar: 8:13pm On Jun 09, 2021
jesusjnr2020:

God bless.

There are opposing views and wrong views about the law with respect to the scriptures. One wrong view or rather erroneous view is that of paying tithes while downplaying the weightier matters of the law as pointed out in Mathew 23:23. Jesus' correction of what the Pharisees were doing doesn't condemn tithes totally but stresses the need to be mindful of the weightier matters that can totally negate tithing exercise. One ofghe weightier matters was faith. Abel gave and Cain gave in Genesis but one was accepted and another rejected because one was faithless and the other was mixed with faith. The Holy Spiritrevealed that in book of Hebrews(Hebrews 11:4).
The teaching of Jesus corrected errors the Pharisees were making. Remember in the olden days, the scriptures(copies) were not commercially available and the pharisee were few of those who had good açcess to it so others took their erroneous interpretation along with their words. Jesus corrected those errors so we don't have to repeat them in 2021.
Another weightier matter is justice. How can one take a bribe and pay a valid tithe of that bribe? Error! Such wealth is what was referred to as unrighteous mammon. How can one rob a widow (maybe of one of the fallen army guys in Borno) of her dead husband's gratuity and then pay a valid tithe from such proceeds. That's a faulty tithe.
Re: Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? by jesusjnr2020(m): 9:43pm On Jun 18, 2021
petra1:

So you see. The

The Bible says so .
Jesus operated while

It's a shame that you can't see how self-contradictory your post is.

You say you didn't say that Christ's teachings were the Law, that the Bible said so, yet you go ahead to say that the same Christ wasn't fully compliant to the law because He brought a new way.

Are you sure you hear yourself and how confused you sound?

Moreover, to assume that Jesus who is the Truth, didn't revealed any Truth to His disciples all the while He was with them, because the Spirit of God who would reveal all Truth to them, is as ignorant of the Truth as they could possibly come. So what did He instruct His disciples to teach all men to observe then?

Obviously that saying of Christ to His disciples alone after His resurrection exposes your ignorance of the Truth and how far your heart was from Him.

Lastly, if you say Jesus after His resurrection didn't tell His disciples to teach all men to observe His teachings, which you said was the law of Moses, why not quote what He said to prove you're not a false disciple just using that to cover up for your obvious disregard of His Words?
Re: Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? by Kobojunkie: 4:01am On Jun 19, 2021
petra1:

So you see. The
The Bible says so .
Jesus operated while
How could He have FULFILLED the Old Covenant Law if He did not live in full compliance of the Old Covenant Law of Moses?

I mean a one who was not in full compliance with Old Covenant Law would have been known a sinner, so are you suggesting here that by Old Covenant standard, Jesus Christ was a sinner? undecided

The New way would have been rendered meaningless for those He was sent to save, the Lost sheep of Israel - by this He saved Israel - if He, Jesus Christ, had not been in full compliance of Old Covenant Laws. Israel would have remained lost if Jesus Christ had turned out nothing but another Old Covenant sinner. undecided

Jesus Christ is the Truth of God so it follows that the Truth that the Spirit of God is meant to take from and give you is Jesus Christ. So, what would make you think the Spirit of God is sent to feed you with some other Truth that does not confirm or even goes as far as to contradict the Truth of God Himself, Jesus Christ? undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Do You Engage Religionists In Real World? / Who Invented 'Moses'? / When Is Ramadan 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 253
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.