Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,264 members, 7,954,027 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 11:05 AM

Coca-Cola Loses $4 Billion As Ronaldo Removes Soft Drink To Endorse Water - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Coca-Cola Loses $4 Billion As Ronaldo Removes Soft Drink To Endorse Water (76327 Views)

Al Hilal Beats Al Nassr to Seal King’s Cup Title as Ronaldo Goes Trophyless / EPL: Pele Reacts As Ronaldo Officially Returns To Man Utd / Angry Cristiano Ronaldo Removes Silver Medal After Juve Lost Super Cup (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Coca-Cola Loses $4 Billion As Ronaldo Removes Soft Drink To Endorse Water by 0dav2(m): 9:18am On Jun 16, 2021
Oya messi goan put the coca-cola back on the table! ;DOya messi goan put the coca-cola back on the table!
Re: Coca-Cola Loses $4 Billion As Ronaldo Removes Soft Drink To Endorse Water by benzene00: 9:18am On Jun 16, 2021
Bosenan:
Wow, what an influence. I saw the interview and never thought it would have such immediate impact on the value of the company consistenly ranked as the biggest brand in the world.

Na why i no fit follow them do all these stock trading, Elon Musk sneeze wahala for crypto, Ronaldo shift bottle, wahala for lcoke

That's why you will forever remain poor
Re: Coca-Cola Loses $4 Billion As Ronaldo Removes Soft Drink To Endorse Water by LagbajaTheBEREAN: 9:18am On Jun 16, 2021
phr0nesis:

It doesn't mean he should be eating unhealthy meals. Yes something must kill a man but do what you can to stay alive and healthy
Baba forget the usual saying...

You're what you eat.
Re: Coca-Cola Loses $4 Billion As Ronaldo Removes Soft Drink To Endorse Water by deeva2: 9:19am On Jun 16, 2021
CR7 NA BABA..GREAT INFLUENCERS
Re: Coca-Cola Loses $4 Billion As Ronaldo Removes Soft Drink To Endorse Water by LagbajaTheBEREAN: 9:19am On Jun 16, 2021
frankmoney:
This guy's discipline is one of the reason he has remained at the top
And that singular factor is hard to replicate for those who are talented...
Re: Coca-Cola Loses $4 Billion As Ronaldo Removes Soft Drink To Endorse Water by Nobody: 9:20am On Jun 16, 2021
Sharp guy dem wan use ronaldo do free advert grin grin grin
Re: Coca-Cola Loses $4 Billion As Ronaldo Removes Soft Drink To Endorse Water by Easyincome24: 9:20am On Jun 16, 2021
D4donnn:
His actions affected investors .

But at the end of the day I don't see or think anyone would stop patronizing their product because ororo advocated for water .

I stand to be corrected sha , please they should do a survey of those willing to quit coca cola product because of ororo actions .

Mind you coca cola is bigger than just coke

They have Fanta sprite and other products.

Let's even do a mini survey
A like for sticking with coca cola irrespective
While a share if you would quit coca cola because of ronaldos actions.

You can't base your assumption on what you gather from NL.
We are talking about stocks, shares of investors dropping in $M you are here doing mini survey. Do you know that what holds the company is not the sales alone, they depend on investors.

Think and grow rich will explain to you the consequences of CR7 action.

A company can collapse if her investors withdraw their shares and quit.
Re: Coca-Cola Loses $4 Billion As Ronaldo Removes Soft Drink To Endorse Water by pickatyouu: 9:21am On Jun 16, 2021
aysnoopy:
Something must still kill a man.
Cause he's going for good diet doesn't guarantee him long life.
May we all live long

At least die healthy
Re: Coca-Cola Loses $4 Billion As Ronaldo Removes Soft Drink To Endorse Water by Jeezuzpick(m): 9:21am On Jun 16, 2021
jrupa:
Away from dieting, its all business related. He is a brand on his own and if he doesn't accept being joined by another big brand that won't increase his wealth, so be it.

Yes o!

Does he have a deal with Coca-Cola?

The answer must be "no", because if he did, they would be up his butthole with a hot iron right about now.

So, why try to use his image to steal some publicity for themselves?

I'm sure CR7 planned this all along, and must have sought legal advice before going ahead with it.
Re: Coca-Cola Loses $4 Billion As Ronaldo Removes Soft Drink To Endorse Water by chronique(m): 9:23am On Jun 16, 2021
It's more of a business move. Ronaldo is not a brand ambassador to Coca-Cola. Putting bottles of coke in front of him during a press conference, would make it look like he is endorsing Coca-Cola, and becomes more of a brand influence for Coca-Cola. That's like endorsing Coca-Cola for free. So, he's right to remove a product he doesn't endorse, while granting interviews.

1 Like

Re: Coca-Cola Loses $4 Billion As Ronaldo Removes Soft Drink To Endorse Water by patrickmuf(m): 9:23am On Jun 16, 2021
So many clueless folks on Nairaland...Coca-Cola are sponsors of the Euros, they can easily sue UEFA who will inturn discipline Ronaldo and then his fan boys will start to cry fowl...If you don't drink Coca-Cola products, then drink the water and do less of the unnecessary antics...

There really was no need for what he did, if I were Coca-Cola management, UEFA and Ronaldo will get it hot from us...You don't de-market a brand like that especially as they're official partners of UEFA.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Coca-Cola Loses $4 Billion As Ronaldo Removes Soft Drink To Endorse Water by ofuonyebi: 9:23am On Jun 16, 2021
Honeslty, it is now so clear that when the king of soccer sneezes, the whole field and even Cocacola is also in trouble!
That is C-Ronaldo for sure!...Ride on Jare!
Re: Coca-Cola Loses $4 Billion As Ronaldo Removes Soft Drink To Endorse Water by Nobody: 9:24am On Jun 16, 2021
ghenghen23:
He was dropped as a Coca cola ambassador in 2014 I think. As for the drop in price, it's not uncommon as negative reviews affect stock prices but they tend not to last.
how do you people just enter online and type shit.
Ronaldo was never an ambassador to coke, he did an add for them, which as at then he was taking coke, Ryan Giggs warned him to stop taking coke and that was the end of him and anything coke..
How do you people type with alot of ignorance without even making any effort to research.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Coca-Cola Loses $4 Billion As Ronaldo Removes Soft Drink To Endorse Water by Onepeople: 9:25am On Jun 16, 2021
I see arrogancy, I see pride, I see pomposity from a man who should have picked the water and move on with his life. Most of the people supporting him might not know that coca cola are one of the sponsors of the EURO tournament. I expect a law suit

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Coca-Cola Loses $4 Billion As Ronaldo Removes Soft Drink To Endorse Water by patrickmuf(m): 9:25am On Jun 16, 2021
See comments na...So,the water just found its way to the bottle? Is he signed to the company that bottled that water? Una go just dey talk rubbish with pride..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Coca-Cola Loses $4 Billion As Ronaldo Removes Soft Drink To Endorse Water by patrickmuf(m): 9:28am On Jun 16, 2021
Onepeople:
I see arrogancy, I see pride, I see pomposity from a man who should have picked the water and move on with his life. Most of the people supporting him might not know that coca cola are one of the sponsors of the EURO tournament. I expect a law suit
Most Nigerians just jump on a subject they know next to nothing about and start yarning dust...They say he is a brand and Coca-Cola are trying to get endorsement off him but if they were smart, they'd know Coca-Cola are official partners of UEFA and their products are on display in each presser but no other player or coach was so irrational to do such...

Ask them if Ronaldo isn't marketing the company that bottled that water according to their warped logic and see them run away...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Coca-Cola Loses $4 Billion As Ronaldo Removes Soft Drink To Endorse Water by Nobody: 9:28am On Jun 16, 2021
patrickmuf:
You many clueless folks on Nairaland...Coca-Cola are sponsors of the Euros, they can easily sue UEFA who will inturn sue discipline Ronaldo and then his fan boys will start to cry fowl...If you don't drink Coca-Cola products, then drink the water and do less of the unnecessary antics...

There really was no need for what he did, if I were Coca-Cola management, UEFA and Ronaldo will get it hot from us...You don't de-market a brand like that especially as they're official partners of UEFA.
UEFA will do no shit, same with coke they can't do shit.
Any negative response will affect their stock further, UEFA will always try to protect their players especially someone who's image right is a big brand to them.
UEFA after super league threat still registered the founding clubs for next competition, if you no sabi then no type.
Coke is not the only sponsor neither are they the major sponsor of UEFA 2020.
The need for what he did means alot, he saved millions of children from much coke intake, he sent a msg across the world that water is always a better option. So his deeds was acknowledged thus the effect but people like you with nairaland at your disposal will keep typing thrash..

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Coca-Cola Loses $4 Billion As Ronaldo Removes Soft Drink To Endorse Water by Jsucre(m): 9:28am On Jun 16, 2021
To drink coke con dey hungry me.

2 Likes

Re: Coca-Cola Loses $4 Billion As Ronaldo Removes Soft Drink To Endorse Water by Josywhyte: 9:29am On Jun 16, 2021
I no believe this story abeg. How did it affect the market value of the company and $4bn dropping? Is it that after keeping the drinks aside,a 'mysterious snake' swallowed the $4bn just like it swallowed some millions in my country called naija?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Coca-Cola Loses $4 Billion As Ronaldo Removes Soft Drink To Endorse Water by mashad(m): 9:29am On Jun 16, 2021
All am waiting is few years from now when Ronaldo will become a coach. Who else can't wait?
Re: Coca-Cola Loses $4 Billion As Ronaldo Removes Soft Drink To Endorse Water by patrickmuf(m): 9:29am On Jun 16, 2021
Kingsbridge:
UEFA will do shit, same with coke they can't do shit.
Any negative response will affect their stock further, UEFA will always try to protect their players especially someone who's image right is a big brand to them.
UEFA after super league threat still registered the founding clubs for next competition, if you no sabi then no type.
Coke is not the only sponsor neither are they the major sponsor of UEFA 2020
If that report is correct, then watchout...
Re: Coca-Cola Loses $4 Billion As Ronaldo Removes Soft Drink To Endorse Water by Nobody: 9:32am On Jun 16, 2021
patrickmuf:
If that report is correct, then watchout...
nothing to watch out oga.
Coke will do no shit take it to your bank.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Coca-Cola Loses $4 Billion As Ronaldo Removes Soft Drink To Endorse Water by Juoflife1(f): 9:32am On Jun 16, 2021
G
O
A
T
Re: Coca-Cola Loses $4 Billion As Ronaldo Removes Soft Drink To Endorse Water by Reference(m): 9:33am On Jun 16, 2021
ThierryJay:

Coca-cola is officially the number one most recognizable/popular brand in the world. It is therefore a statement of fallacy for you to imply that a less popular brand will give a more popular brand "massive" free publicity, as if Coke isnt also giving Ronaldo massive publicity.

The Coke bottles were there not because of Ronaldo but because Coke is the official sponsor of Euro 2020 so all players being interviewed would have Coke bottles on their table. What Ronaldo did is quite very pretty and the Euro organizers wouldn't be happy he is shading a major sponsor.

I can imagine if the Pope publicly says to his Catholic faithfuls that he can never stay in Cristiano's hotels because they encourage immorality. How would Ronaldo take that from a business perspective?

That we are fans doesn't mean one should lose sense of reasoning.

I think you need a broader understanding of what is happening here.
There is a growing global recognition of the harm done to public health by the consumption of excessive amounts of sugar to which the beverage industry has come under scrutiny and pressure in many climes.

In my report I likened it to the anti tobacco movements in the 80's and 90's leading to the global ban on open advertising and promotions. Then the big players were official sponsors of major events including the world cup with very generous commercial terms but met with increasing resistance first by influential personalities just as in this case before a total outbreak of adversity.

It is those who realise what this potentially means for Coca-Cola and big beverage that reacted that way in the markets, not necessarily because it was Cristiano Ronaldo. They more enlightened places of the world have seen the first shots fired from within big business that can threaten the brand and will look anxiously in the next weeks and months whether this will gain traction and snowball.

CR7 did admit later (if you followed the story) that he had reservations and anxiety about the effects the consumption of sugar and bad food had in the the life of his son and was totally against it as a sportsman.

So he has his convictions but he is not the ultimate catalyst for any eventuality. There has been a growing movement and a heating battle in modern societies that sugar be made a controlled substance. And folks out there will be nervous to see whether CR7 proves to be the rogue skier who started the avalanche.
Re: Coca-Cola Loses $4 Billion As Ronaldo Removes Soft Drink To Endorse Water by Reference(m): 9:37am On Jun 16, 2021
Josywhyte:
I no believe this story abeg. How did it affect the market value of the company and $4bn dropping? Is it that after keeping the drinks aside,a 'mysterious snake' swallowed the $4bn just like it swallowed some millions in my country called naija?

That is what I am saying you have to contextualise the whole thing.
Of the man, his beliefs, the beliefs of wider modern society, big beverage and money.... to really understand what is happening here.

It is not what all these folks above are ignorantly yapping about.
Re: Coca-Cola Loses $4 Billion As Ronaldo Removes Soft Drink To Endorse Water by judedwriter(m): 9:38am On Jun 16, 2021
shocked

I am beginning to suspect that CR7 is not a normal human being... He's a living legend!
Re: Coca-Cola Loses $4 Billion As Ronaldo Removes Soft Drink To Endorse Water by KBEST3(m): 9:39am On Jun 16, 2021
I pity the Israel
Re: Coca-Cola Loses $4 Billion As Ronaldo Removes Soft Drink To Endorse Water by patrickmuf(m): 9:43am On Jun 16, 2021
Kingsbridge:
nothing to watch out oga.
Coke will do no shit take it to your bank.
k
Re: Coca-Cola Loses $4 Billion As Ronaldo Removes Soft Drink To Endorse Water by Vivien458(f): 9:43am On Jun 16, 2021
D4donnn:
His actions affected investors .

But at the end of the day I don't see or think anyone would stop patronizing their product because ororo advocated for water .

I stand to be corrected sha , please they should do a survey of those willing to quit coca cola product because of ororo actions .

Mind you coca cola is bigger than just coke

They have Fanta sprite and other products.

Let's even do a mini survey
A like for sticking with coca cola irrespective
While a share if you would quit coca cola because of ronaldos actions.
Lol, which one Fanta and sprite, have you ever seen them do an advert abroad for Fanta, those ones are only your country. Abroad people don't know what is Fanta and sprite. Just cocacola. Besides, why keep two Coca-Cola why they can mix it up with the so-called Fanta or Sprite?

1 Like

Re: Coca-Cola Loses $4 Billion As Ronaldo Removes Soft Drink To Endorse Water by phr0nesis(m): 9:44am On Jun 16, 2021
blaise26abj:

Don’t mind him . That statement is for poor, undisciplined people . Wealthy and extremely rich people don’t want to die at all. They will do anything to make sure they stay healthy and live life to the fullest .
Very true
Re: Coca-Cola Loses $4 Billion As Ronaldo Removes Soft Drink To Endorse Water by NotFarFrom: 9:45am On Jun 16, 2021
michlins:
I really don't know how to process this information. He removed a drink from the table and chose another and automatically $4bn was wiped off the company value and even prompted the to issue a statement about the gesture.

How can an individual hold so much influence over the choice of consumers like this.

If I hit him with a deal, he will be hawking the drink on the express. That's if am the CEO of coca-cola.

There can only be one GOAT and he's a tall guy

Argue with yourself and your family plus village people
it's the same influence Elon Musk have on #Bitcoin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Javier Zanetti: Taribo West's Prayer Sessions Frustrated Us / Anthony Joshua Wants To Defend Heavyweight Titles In Nigeria / Kelechi Iheanacho To Buy A House For Ogbodo, His Best Friend [PICS]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.