Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,542 members, 7,823,379 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:19 AM

Why Do Most People Cook Rice On Sundays??? - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Do Most People Cook Rice On Sundays??? (24412 Views)

How I Prepared A Hot And Spicy Vegetable Jollof Rice on a budget / Why Do We Always Cook Rice On Sundays? / Why Do Most Nigerian Families Eat Rice On Sunday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Most People Cook Rice On Sundays??? by RichBoy247: 4:19pm On Jun 27, 2021
Joanney:
Lol cheesy
What do Muslims cook on Friday sef

This is how chronic madness starts oooo

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most People Cook Rice On Sundays??? by ayodejisure: 4:31pm On Jun 27, 2021
BadRadio:
grin

Have u ever thought of it.

U pay a visit and u are being served ricegrin
.....And why do most people cook moimoi on Saturday?
Re: Why Do Most People Cook Rice On Sundays??? by mmsen: 4:32pm On Jun 27, 2021
I never eat rice on Sunday.
Re: Why Do Most People Cook Rice On Sundays??? by Kingcalls: 4:36pm On Jun 27, 2021
sweetjohn:
Because of visitors i guess. Most people go visiting on Sundays than anyother days of the week. So its most presentable to serve rice than beans, yam or even swallow to your visitors unless they specifically request for it

This is the correct reason

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most People Cook Rice On Sundays??? by Wetpuxy: 4:38pm On Jun 27, 2021
Bleep rice.. I'm currently doing justice to my ukwa. If you know you know
Re: Why Do Most People Cook Rice On Sundays??? by jamace(m): 4:47pm On Jun 27, 2021
Because it is a day of rest and reunion for the family, the need to celebrate it. cool
Re: Why Do Most People Cook Rice On Sundays??? by Iceyjayz: 4:50pm On Jun 27, 2021
I eat any food on Sunday, but sometimes rice Sha
Re: Why Do Most People Cook Rice On Sundays??? by Nobody: 4:51pm On Jun 27, 2021
2shaw:
Om thinking of what to eat tonite. Maybe moimoi with bread or bread with butter and groundnut with coke or I buy shawama with a bottle of Goldberg or catfish with malt or I just do normal buy cookies and milk. Naija no get food at all and I'm fed up. Tho e don tay wey I taste stew. Hustle don make cobwebs full up kitchen.
please where are u from?
Re: Why Do Most People Cook Rice On Sundays??? by geechy: 4:55pm On Jun 27, 2021
@op
Any Sunday without Sunday rice, that Sunday is a friday

Isaidit
Re: Why Do Most People Cook Rice On Sundays??? by descarado: 4:55pm On Jun 27, 2021
MeghaneMorgane:
Many people cook a special food on Sunday. Rice is a special food to many people. These days, people cook swallow on Sundays these days. A special swallow. Like pounded yam.

Exactly.
On Friday in UK, its mainly fish and chicken while Sunday is cottage pie.

I know a family that swallow on Sundays. Their choice.

Monday is spaghetti day in my family.
Re: Why Do Most People Cook Rice On Sundays??? by seyz91(m): 5:00pm On Jun 27, 2021
You are right

It's african tradition
Kylekent59:
I just finished preparing mine. That's how it was when I was growing up.
Re: Why Do Most People Cook Rice On Sundays??? by GreatManBee: 5:01pm On Jun 27, 2021
SweetBuns:
Back in the olden days, rice was a very special food, only cooked twice or Thrice in a year, depending on the families denomination (New year, Easter and Christmas )

Then it became more common and then was cooked every Sunday, and then every other day

But that tradition of cooking it every Sunday still persists

Our parents learnt it from theirs, we learnt it from ours and we will soon teach our kids

That’s just it

So if they eat rice thrice in a year abeg what then do they eat all through the year?
Re: Why Do Most People Cook Rice On Sundays??? by seyz91(m): 5:01pm On Jun 27, 2021
Confirm!
SweetBuns:
Back in the olden days, rice was a very special food, only cooked twice or Thrice in a year, depending on the families denomination (New year, Easter and Christmas )

Then it became more common and then was cooked every Sunday, and then every other day

Our parents learnt it from theirs, we learnt it from ours and we will soon teach our kids

That’s just it
Re: Why Do Most People Cook Rice On Sundays??? by Chini101: 5:02pm On Jun 27, 2021
Sugar97:
It's in the constitution dear
this one off me biko which constitution e dey make I go find out? grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Most People Cook Rice On Sundays??? by Chini101: 5:09pm On Jun 27, 2021
Shabaleen:
please where are u from?

Re: Why Do Most People Cook Rice On Sundays??? by Vlain: 5:10pm On Jun 27, 2021
emekulous:
Rice tastes better on Sunday �

Yessss!!! Facts!!!! grin
Re: Why Do Most People Cook Rice On Sundays??? by harriet412(f): 5:10pm On Jun 27, 2021
About to cook rice sef
Re: Why Do Most People Cook Rice On Sundays??? by andrewtosin(m): 5:12pm On Jun 27, 2021
Mummyfour:
grin give us beans 3 times a day, with bread, plantain, pap, custard, garri etc, 5 days in a week. Abeg beans na d koko.
With plenty fresh palm oil tongue tongue.
Ofe mmanu wink
Re: Why Do Most People Cook Rice On Sundays??? by Bahamas95(m): 5:17pm On Jun 27, 2021
Na only villages dat thing dey happen.

My mum once told us that when they(she and her siblings) were young those days in the village they always pray for sunday to come so they can eat rice. grin Rice that we eat anytime we want at home.....She even said some families don't even eat rice more than 20 times in a year and I was shocked..

I confirmed it when one of our uncle's children visited us to spend their holiday some years back....The way they were eating the rice it was as if it's their last day to eat rice on earth. cheesy After the holiday they were hesitating to go back to the village. One of them was just crying profusely and my mum promised that they will still come back next time and gave them enough raw rice to take home.
Re: Why Do Most People Cook Rice On Sundays??? by MoIbrahim: 5:21pm On Jun 27, 2021
BadRadio:
grin

Have u ever thought of it.

U pay a visit and u are being served ricegrin

In those days, rice was for big people. So Sunday was when everybody used to enjoy it.
Re: Why Do Most People Cook Rice On Sundays??? by laiperi: 5:35pm On Jun 27, 2021
I agree that rice was a weekly delicacy in most homes in those days.

But please distinguish street seller rice from rice or Jollof cooked at home and parties.

Iya Silifa's rice on the street has no enemy. It got to a stage that those Adakaje would beg people traveling to buy Iya Jimo's rice wrapped in leaves when coming to London.

Enough said.
Re: Why Do Most People Cook Rice On Sundays??? by Joetttimua1811(m): 5:52pm On Jun 27, 2021
Na so we meet am so we no fit change am
Re: Why Do Most People Cook Rice On Sundays??? by hedocharles(m): 5:56pm On Jun 27, 2021
Kylekent59:
I just finished preparing mine. That's how it was when I was growing up.

Lol.
Can ibcome n join u?
Re: Why Do Most People Cook Rice On Sundays??? by stebanj: 5:59pm On Jun 27, 2021
O bob!!! You like rice oh
Sunnycliff:
Na our culture. Stop asking unnecessary questions. We are naija peeps, one of the things that makes us who we are
Re: Why Do Most People Cook Rice On Sundays??? by Karleb(m): 5:59pm On Jun 27, 2021
I only hear about this online and from stories from my mum.

While I kid, we cooked any food on Sunday. Rice was not special for anyday except for festive periods sha.
Re: Why Do Most People Cook Rice On Sundays??? by Nobody: 6:04pm On Jun 27, 2021
Sunday without rice that one na Sunday,? You go church finish come back house you no eat rice, that's a serious abbretion, that day Sunday is not Sunday.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most People Cook Rice On Sundays??? by Jonah507(m): 6:09pm On Jun 27, 2021
Mummyfour:
grin give us beans 3 times a day, with bread, plantain, pap, custard, garri etc, 5 days in a week. Abeg beans na d koko.
With plenty fresh palm oil tongue tongue.

You sabi beta thing abeg grin
Re: Why Do Most People Cook Rice On Sundays??? by destiny4luv(m): 6:14pm On Jun 27, 2021
SweetBuns:

That’s just it

Mine is quite different, I grew up eating pourage (yam and oil beans) every Sunday before Church service. I guess that's what my dad loves and it became part of me that's what my wife prepares every Sunday morning before we go to Church and after service any other variety is available especially because of visitors. It's all about what u grew up with. Cheers.
Re: Why Do Most People Cook Rice On Sundays??? by vickydevoka(m): 6:20pm On Jun 27, 2021
I have never eaten rice on Sunday. I grew up where we eat smashed cassava on Sunday
Re: Why Do Most People Cook Rice On Sundays??? by Nobody: 6:26pm On Jun 27, 2021
Joanney:
Lol cheesy
What do Muslims cook on Friday sef
It depends on what is available, or what falls for that day!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

6 Common Types Of People You Meet At A Nigerian Buka / Be Warned! That Rice Could Be Fake / What Is The Difference Between Soup, Stew And Sauce?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.