Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,050 members, 7,810,915 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:20 PM

JAMB: Farook Kperogi's Suggestion On UTME - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / JAMB: Farook Kperogi's Suggestion On UTME (23273 Views)

University Of Benin Admission Updates On Utme Jupeb Cut-off / JAMB Speaks On UTME Results / JAMB To Meet With Stakeholders On UTME (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

JAMB: Farook Kperogi's Suggestion On UTME by FemiOyewoleGCFR(m): 5:15pm On Jun 28, 2021
Why Must Students Take UTME Every Year?

By Farooq Kperogi

Why do students have to take the UTME (the mandatory entrance exam to get into Nigerian higher institutions) every single year even when they have no need to?

The SAT, America's rough equivalent of Nigeria's UTME, has a 5-year validity period.

That means if, for any number of reasons, you're not able to get into a university in a particular year, you can submit scores from any test taken within 5 years.

Requiring students to take the UTME every year seems to me needlessly exploitative.

I know a student who had great UTME scores from last year but had no success getting a place at the university of his choice even though he had more than the minimum entry requirements. He retook it this year and fell short of the minimum cutoff by a wide margin.

If he were in the US, he would have submitted his scores from last year.

Several credible people have told me that the current JAMB registrar, Professor Ishaq Oloyede, is an exceptionally honest, smart, and innovative man who is receptive to fresh ideas. I hope someone can whisper this suggestion to him.

JAMB can organize UTME several times in a year, not just once, but should allow test scores to have at least a two-year and at most a five-year validity period.

Source: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10105496574507900&id=47904265

129 Likes 5 Shares

Re: JAMB: Farook Kperogi's Suggestion On UTME by Maxymilliano(m): 5:54pm On Jun 28, 2021
Managing admission process has since become a secondary concern for JAMB. The body has turned into income generation agency overnight for the government and now compete with the Customs, NPA etc l, and openly declare profits like every other eye service agencies of the current government.

So I seriously doubt if this novel idea would get the attention of the current board of JAMB.

200 Likes 8 Shares

Re: JAMB: Farook Kperogi's Suggestion On UTME by psucc(m): 6:02pm On Jun 28, 2021
As lofty asnthis idea seems, I doubt it will be considered. This is because the revenue JAMB has been turning in to government coffers will no more be there, and this is one condition our 'Oliver Twist' government will never bargain.

58 Likes 4 Shares

Re: JAMB: Farook Kperogi's Suggestion On UTME by cocolacec(m): 8:06pm On Jun 28, 2021
Very Good suggestion.

23 Likes

Re: JAMB: Farook Kperogi's Suggestion On UTME by cocolacec(m): 8:06pm On Jun 28, 2021
Very Good suggestion.
Olawalebabs
Re: JAMB: Farook Kperogi's Suggestion On UTME by Deasegun19(m): 8:37pm On Jun 28, 2021
them no go see that one copy. rubbish leaders

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: JAMB: Farook Kperogi's Suggestion On UTME by JOACHINpedro: 7:57am On Jun 29, 2021
This man get sense o

14 Likes

Re: JAMB: Farook Kperogi's Suggestion On UTME by platido(m): 9:54am On Jun 29, 2021
Good submission. But how long would it last if we start? When next administration comes the change to their own concepts . And the program dies automatic death.

I prefer should be put into law and constitutions.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: JAMB: Farook Kperogi's Suggestion On UTME by DirtyGold: 9:55am On Jun 29, 2021
How did you pass excellently last year and then fail the same exam woefully this year?
Are you growing in sense or is your brain leaking?

Seems the poverty on the land has become more miserable as it has now forced students to write their exams themselves because, extra cash to pay "mercenaries" is unavailable grin grin

Besides, this idea originated from the national assembly sometime ago but, it obviously cant be implemented because of the revenue benefits of maintaining it as it currently is.

And to the dolts with leaking brains quoting me, you cannot pass excellently and within one year, fail the same exam woefully! If you're truly competent, you'll have a performance that doesn't deviate so widely... and no, benchmark is not an excuse either. The only complain should be about the cost and not about people's ability to pass. If you passed last year, you shouldn't be among those complaining about rewriting it (except for cost) because afterall, it is the same exam, same syllabus, same grading... nothing has changed.

What's tha business?

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: JAMB: Farook Kperogi's Suggestion On UTME by Soylife(m): 9:55am On Jun 29, 2021
Have you had a taste of soybeans before? It is an excellent food which can be used to substitute milk,it is more nutricious and delicious and is natural,best of all it is pocket friendly. It can be used for tea,pap,custard,garri,oats and much more.

You can check my signature to contact me.

Please patronise my business. God bless you!

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: JAMB: Farook Kperogi's Suggestion On UTME by mizz2posh: 9:55am On Jun 29, 2021
undecided
Re: JAMB: Farook Kperogi's Suggestion On UTME by Uyi168: 9:56am On Jun 29, 2021
It's simple. That's how we want it here.
Not everything we copy from them..

4 Likes

Re: JAMB: Farook Kperogi's Suggestion On UTME by PrimeWatermark: 9:56am On Jun 29, 2021
Two years is still fair enough.
Re: JAMB: Farook Kperogi's Suggestion On UTME by 9jayes: 9:56am On Jun 29, 2021
Me nko, na my 6th times be dis nd still score 111, be like say scu no be for me. I go try again sha

2 Likes

Re: JAMB: Farook Kperogi's Suggestion On UTME by rawtouch: 9:56am On Jun 29, 2021
sad

good idea but bad for business, they will rather milk the candidates parents dry

2 Likes

Re: JAMB: Farook Kperogi's Suggestion On UTME by Fiscus105(m): 9:56am On Jun 29, 2021
We are in reccession.

Buhari needs every available money within and without to run govt

Their interest is billions coming in every year and not necessary performances

4 Likes

Re: JAMB: Farook Kperogi's Suggestion On UTME by sapientia(m): 9:56am On Jun 29, 2021
Good one
Re: JAMB: Farook Kperogi's Suggestion On UTME by zombieHUNTER: 9:56am On Jun 29, 2021
Jamb is only concerned about money....

It's now a revenue generating agency under the dullard of daura

6 Likes

Re: JAMB: Farook Kperogi's Suggestion On UTME by CheedyJ(m): 9:57am On Jun 29, 2021
They always have solutions until they get into power or occupy positions of authority ... all na wash

13 Likes

Re: JAMB: Farook Kperogi's Suggestion On UTME by seborrhic: 9:57am On Jun 29, 2021
Rubbish idea.
Then you have 5million accumulated admissions.
But most importantly each year JAMB ensures the same standard of test are used to assess every aspirant.
What a student that passed JAMB 5 years back but has been at home since because of lack of space,may have known then,may have evaporated after 5,4,3 or even 2 years of redundancy.
Yearly JAMB test is still the best.

16 Likes

Re: JAMB: Farook Kperogi's Suggestion On UTME by rottennaija(m): 9:57am On Jun 29, 2021
And why should JAMB be taken once a year? I think it's time we do aware with these archaic systems.
Re: JAMB: Farook Kperogi's Suggestion On UTME by deolurexy1(m): 9:57am On Jun 29, 2021
I support doing Jamb every year because it keeps the student school ready. Imagine passing jamb 5 years ago just to use it this year meanwhile you haven't opened a book atall in the interim.

12 Likes

Re: JAMB: Farook Kperogi's Suggestion On UTME by Asgard73: 9:57am On Jun 29, 2021
Bros I feel your library... cool
Re: JAMB: Farook Kperogi's Suggestion On UTME by baike: 9:57am On Jun 29, 2021
Thank you
Re: JAMB: Farook Kperogi's Suggestion On UTME by bamvik(m): 9:58am On Jun 29, 2021
That means no revenue for jamb again
Re: JAMB: Farook Kperogi's Suggestion On UTME by thundafire: 9:58am On Jun 29, 2021
Useless corrupt leaders can't stay every 5years without eating easy money

2 Likes

Re: JAMB: Farook Kperogi's Suggestion On UTME by phygo89(m): 9:58am On Jun 29, 2021
Respect Mr. Farooq. Oil dey your head and u come get mind join.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Between BBN And Academics: ₦5m To Celebrate Nudity, ₦5M For Mental Excellence / Can I Go For Higher Degrees If I Graduate As A HND Holder. / Please I Need Help In Balancing These Equations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.