Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,092 members, 7,814,806 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:13 PM

Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. (71994 Views)

What Are Those Courses That Are Still Good To Study In Nigeria? / Top 15 Courses That No Longer Exist In Nigerian Polytechnics / Top 5 Courses That You May Regret Picking In 2018 Jamb (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by PERSONALGUY1(m): 7:58am On Jun 30, 2021
Funny enough u didn't put the most expensive... ARCHITECTURE
tensazangetsu20:
A lot of Nigerian students especially those from high school still hold some archaic mentality that some courses are a sure way out of poverty. The situation of Nigeria and the future should make people dead that mentality o. If you arent from a rich family or well connected you should avoid studying some courses in Nigeria.

The following should be avoided except you are rich or well connected.

Medicine: This used to be a very sure way out of poverty. Just like 14 years back, even NYSC doctors were getting six figures. It was so good that even after NYSC and Housemanship, some doctors had bought nice cars or even built houses. The situation is totally different today. To get housemanship as a doctor na die and even when you get it you will be paid peanuts. To migrate out of the country as a doctor requires serious money which if you arent from a privileged home might be very difficult to meet. To also further as a doctor in Nigeria is very difficult as a lot of residency programs are based on who you know. Its no more about merit just as it used to be before yet every year thousands of teenagers kill themselves trying to get into medicine when they can get into other programs which are much more lucrative.

All Engineering Courses except Electrical/Computer engineering: Contrary to what a lot of people think, engineering a lot of branches of engineering are not as lucrative as people think they are. I was checking unilag's cut off the other day for my cousins and was shocked to find out that petroleum engineering has the highest cut-off point in the engineering department. That is a program that should be scrapped. Its glory days are over and never going to come back and its so restrictive yet a whole lot of brilliant people think killing themselves to study this is actually a good idea. Electrical and computer engineering are the only courses I can really advise anyone to go for as they are very much relevant in the ICT sector. Embedded systems, computer hardware, robotics alongside a host of others are mostly offshoots of these fields.
Lucrative alternatives to engineering that arent as competitive are computer science, mathematics and physics. Someone intending to study civil engineering or mechanical engineering in Nigeria should go for physics. There's practically no place a mechanical or civil engineer can work in this world that someone with a degree in physics cant work.

Law: I wont say much here but if you love poverty, this is an amazing course to study. If you are from arts class, instead of law go for a degree in English. At least with a TEFL certificate and an English degree you can get good jobs teaching English in asia and latin america.

Another thing that might help is that before you study a course, go on linkedin. Create a profile, go to linkedin jobs and check specifically how many jobs exist for your course in Nigeria, Africa and globally.

Nigeria isnt funny anymore to waste time on nonsense and funny as it is, Nigeria of today is a paradise compared to the Nigeria coming so folks should help themselves.

1 Like

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by atom080: 8:32am On Jun 30, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Go on LinkedIn jobs and search for how many jobs exist for your course in Nigeria, Africa and globally.
now, for those with japa mentality, listen!
your first engr degree doesn't matter!
cos with any engr course, you can venture into ANY I.T course at msc level!
all that matters is your cgpa!
i have a verifiable fact of a guy who got a fully funded phd scholarship to study informatics in u.s. he has is bsc degree in anatomy at oou.
anatomy to I.T?
in as much you study S.T.E.M courses, your first degree doesn't matter alot when applying for a p.graduate courses, esp in I.T(the hotcake).
if you are studying pet engr, mat engr, agric engr. dnt be dejected, you have alot of opportunities at P.G level.
jst get good grade, and prepare to japa.

1 Like

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by SIAcademy: 8:35am On Jun 30, 2021
Iyabor Ojo Suspended By TAMPAN Because Of Baba Ijesha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4GR6yq7ZlA
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by atom080: 8:49am On Jun 30, 2021
i will honourably mention @ basalt
a nairalander studying in germany.
he graduated with 2.1 in geophysics, yet, he made his way to germany.
you cn followup his thread on travel section.
let @ gerrard listen,
if you want to japa, study any s.t.e.m courses and get good grade.
if you cn't japa or wanna base in 9ja. pls and pls avoid physics, chem, biochem,microbiology etc. they have no particular profession to attach to. except teaching.
but rather, as science student, go study MEDICAL COURSES or in manageably cases engr courses or comp science. dn't study any physical science courses.
pls, i beg be wise.
nt everyone know the 'know-how' to japa. not everyone is that exceptional to get a good grade. pls if u ar in any of this category, pls study medical courses. and the benefit is that medical courses aren't classified.
pls forget passion and go 4 what works!

3 Likes

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by atom080: 8:54am On Jun 30, 2021
SIAcademy:
Iyabor Ojo Suspended By TAMPAN Because Of Baba Ijesha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4GR6yq7ZlA
pls, how will that solve our problem?
abeg carry your wahala leave this thread.

2 Likes

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by CSTRR: 9:44am On Jun 30, 2021
If I had a child, I would ask him/her to either study Electrical/Electronics Engineering , Computer science or Nursing.

These are the courses of the future.

Any other course is nonsense.

1 Like

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Linux4ever: 9:45am On Jun 30, 2021
Architecture degree is also a good course to study or some environmental courses.
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by atom080: 9:56am On Jun 30, 2021
CSTRR:
If I had a child, I would ask him/her to either study Electrical/Electronics Engineering , Computer science or Nursing.

These are the courses of the future.

Any other course is nonsense.
chai, wetin musa no go see?
pls can you buttress your point? or are you speaking outta sentiment?
pls where do you put
*mbbs
*bds
*mechatronics
*physiotherapy
*med lab
few to mention.
man you are living in the past claiming to know the future.
lest i forget, pls how do you analytically predict the future?
and by the way, do you study engr or medical course. if no, then ur point is baseless!
pls if you which to reply me, engage me with facts but not sentiments or subjective ideology.
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by seanwilliam(m): 10:10am On Jun 30, 2021
Karleb:

You people don't understand the essence of this thread.

For one, let me ask, when did you graduate? How many of your colleagues are now mechanical engineering practitioners?

Of course, a fellow with a P. hD can get a scholarship, but what are the chances of a fellow with B. Sc?

On what do you survive before you even think of going for M. Sc especially when you are from a poor home?

Can this B. Sc fetch you a job with decent pay in your career path in Enugu, Kano or Akure?

Even if you got lucky, how about your colleagues who are over 200 in numbers? How about the ones that graduated before or after you?

While in other career path, people are getting more than enough to do with decent compensation.

That is the essence of the thread.
you’re very smart

1 Like

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by falseprophet: 10:21am On Jun 30, 2021
ClixMaster:
Whatever you do, AVOID Mass communication like a plague. E get why grin

Ignorance is keeling you slowly

this i have seen!
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Nobody: 10:21am On Jun 30, 2021
Nobody should listen to this OP oo.
Many children from poor homes have survived & became renowned through the professional courses that OP mentioned. You can be the next person!

This OP ehn,,, him brain was put on hold while he typed the nonsense.

Many of my secondary school mates who studied some of these courses (& have poor background) are now doing well.

Winners don't quit & quitters don't win!
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by kepler(m): 10:25am On Jun 30, 2021
Your opinion not correct. I know of some Physics degree holder whose career growth was stunted because he lacked engineering degree. He mates with engineering degree climded ahead of him. Most engineering firms insist on having engineering degree before you can climb the ladder to management positions
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Nobody: 10:25am On Jun 30, 2021
Nonsense thread
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Judolisco(m): 10:25am On Jun 30, 2021
SkengRay:
What about public health science and medical laboratory science?
medical lab is okay... Public health science on bachelor's level is bullcrap
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Nobody: 10:26am On Jun 30, 2021
Lol.

This op is funny.

Haven't you seen people who studied microbiology working in banks?

1 Like

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by CareerMom: 10:26am On Jun 30, 2021
I can't stop laughing @if you love poverty, study law. Hahahaha, na wa o.

1 Like

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Heybeedee(m): 10:28am On Jun 30, 2021
ClixMaster:
Whatever you do, AVOID Mass communication like a plague. E get why grin

Lol...yy na
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Morenikeji090(m): 10:28am On Jun 30, 2021
If you don't add. Nautical Science and Aeronautical course then your lists ain't compete yet....... Ship and plane study is number one
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Hawkler: 10:28am On Jun 30, 2021
atom080:
@ tensazangetsu20
what about MECHATRONICS ENGINEERING?

I think, it's the best of all.
it's the brigde connecting the three major engineering courses(mechanical+elect/elect+computer).
moreso, it is a course that merge I.T with engineering.
It a branch of Mechanical
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by na2016: 10:29am On Jun 30, 2021
Lucrative alternatives to engineering that arent as competitive are computer science, mathematics and physics. Someone intending to study civil engineering or mechanical engineering in Nigeria should go for physics. There's practically no place a mechanical or civil engineer can work in this world that someone with a degree in physics cant work.

OP: Anyone that wants to study civil engineering in Nigeria can study. In fact, most ministries and Universities don't have enough staff with this background. Civil engineering and E/E are the only viable engineering courses now.
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:29am On Jun 30, 2021
Morenikeji090:
If you don't add. Nautical Science and Aeronautical course then your lists ain't compete yet....... Ship and plane study is number one
Yeah very useless too. I did marine engineering.

2 Likes

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Osanoghodua1: 10:29am On Jun 30, 2021
Very stupid write up. How did this misguided post hit FP? Going to school is different from been educated.
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by honor4me: 10:30am On Jun 30, 2021
Gerrard59:
OP is very correct especially if you look at it from the aspect of fleeing the country after your graduation (which I advise young and ambitious Nigerian youths to do). Except you are very intelligent, young (max 19 years prior to enrolment) and can take advantage of scholarships, you do not have to study certain courses. Nigeria is getting poorer by the day and will become more poor in the next decade and two. As an instance, economic growth of 2010 is what the country is "enjoying" meanwhile, the population has ballooned, resources are more scarce, the major foreign earner now has more sellers and less buyers. Nigeria is not what it was when OP and I were teens, so it is pointless to study certain courses esp if you are from a poor family.

One thing is: do not study five year programs because there would be more strike actions (internal crises too: See Unical and her Engineering and Pharmacy students) than ever before as the country becomes poorer and nears insolvency. So, why spend so much time studying Civil/Mech Engineering when there is Physics? Why do Marine Engineering when you can opt for Mathematics? Some of these courses have restrictions for foreigners when you have japa'd and you will spend a lot trying to regularise. Meanwhile, your school mate who did Math has gotten a job with a tech firm but you are trying to get into the maritime industry in the US. Regarding Law, Nigeria is the last place to study same as the country is lawless. Again, unless you are very intelligent and opt for a federal university, you are better off doing Psychology or English or Chinese Mandarin.

Remember, you are trying to escape poverty not perpetuate it.

As bad as Nigeria is, it will be better than the Nigeria of 2031. Things will get far worse than today. Ten years ago, people could travel across the country with relative ease, today? They dare not. In ten years time, it will be difficult to move around your city easily.
Negative perspective! Remember Malthus theory in economics. Where was the kind of negative things he predicted?
Know this for sure, there must be darkness before light. Nigeria will be better in 2031

3 Likes

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by seenga(m): 10:31am On Jun 30, 2021
DONT EVEN STUDY ANYTHING IN NIGERIA EXCEPT YAHOO. OR JOIN POLITICS. THOSE ARE THE ONLY THINGS THAT PAY

1 Like

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Nobody: 10:32am On Jun 30, 2021
I find this amusing, medcine and engineering only for the rich?
Where did you get this from, do you think that all the inventions we enjoy today were discovered by rich people?

Better think again, anyone can be rich if they re focused.

Courses you study don't define richness.
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Mekudi: 10:32am On Jun 30, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Do we have it in Nigeria? If it merges electrical and computer then all good but mechanical alone as a course of study is useless.
Yes in polytechnic Ibadan Ibadan
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by CSTRR: 10:32am On Jun 30, 2021
atom080:

chai, wetin musa no go see?
pls can you buttress your point? or are you speaking outta sentiment?
pls where do you put
*mbbs
*bds
*mechatronics
*physiotherapy
*med lab
few to mention.
man you are living in the past claiming to know the future.
lest i forget, pls how do you analytically predict the future?
and by the way, do you study engr or medical course. if no, then ur point is baseless!
pls if you which to reply me, engage me with facts but not sentiments or subjective ideology.
I am an engineer.

And I have said my truth.
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Fiscus105(m): 10:32am On Jun 30, 2021
Nozino:

It isn’t. The OP was correct. I read Mechanical Engineering and Mech is literally useless in Nigeria. If it isn’t EEE, just study any 4year course and graduate.

Physics is a course so many brilant students avoid for almighty big name for nothing courses

If you are brillant and you re sure of urself, I will advice students to go for physics

Virtually every work engineering can do that physicst might fit in. Physics is a nerve wire of all engineering courses
But unfortunately so many students studying physcis are those who failed to get admission for engineering. Hence average and below average end up in physics dept.

1 Like

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Nobody: 10:32am On Jun 30, 2021
honor4me:

Negative perspective! Remember Malthus theory in economics. Where was the kind of negative things he predicted?
Know this for sure, there must be darkness before light. Nigeria will be better in 2031

Comments from someone who lives in a bottle.
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Funflipper: 10:33am On Jun 30, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Do we have it in Nigeria? If it merges electrical and computer then all good but mechanical alone as a course of study is useless.

But how is mechanical engineering as a course on its own useless?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Afe Babalola University Student Beats Up Female Lecturer (Video) / I Finally Received My 10,000 Grant From Federal Government / No More Department Of Mass Communication In Nigerian Universities. Read Why

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.